Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 2002 Ratings
1,205
Watch Now
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
Prometheus is a gorgeous, intelligent and skilfully made film that stays true to its origins. There are times where the pace lags behind, and perhaps it delves too deep into its own themes and ideas that simply can't be fully explored orPrometheus is a gorgeous, intelligent and skilfully made film that stays true to its origins. There are times where the pace lags behind, and perhaps it delves too deep into its own themes and ideas that simply can't be fully explored or appreciated within its running time. But with dazzling visuals, well rounded and well performed characters and a sort-of open non-ending, it's simply begging for a sequel. And so am I. Expand
revelcAug 4, 2017
Prometheus is a new way to enjoy Alien franchise. It spent a little more time to explore the space and uncharted territory than the original Alien (1979). While the original does best while it's inside the narrow corridor of the spaceship,Prometheus is a new way to enjoy Alien franchise. It spent a little more time to explore the space and uncharted territory than the original Alien (1979). While the original does best while it's inside the narrow corridor of the spaceship, Prometheus excel during the exploration of the planet. It gives the audience more vivid idea of how the alien species came in contact with the voyagers. Not only told by the visually stunning CGI, the pacing of Prometheus also helps to build the suspense. Prometheus' crew may not be the most exciting group of people since Nostromo, they maybe top Hollywood performers but not much happening between them story wise. This is where the two lead (Dr. Shaw and David) come in to play, their excellent performances stimulate the story. Both of the actors complete each other roles as hero and the devil. One thing I felt that the original did better, was the role of the heroine. Ellen Ripley was intended to be a strong female lead, since she's indeed an officer of the Nostromo. On the other hand Dr. Shaw is too strong for her role as an archaeologist and her character development isn't as natural as it should.

Overall, Prometheus is an excellent film. It has its flaws for trying to be the new face of the Alien franchise, but it also has strength that will bring in new fans into the franchise. I personally enjoyed the experience, and I absolutely recommend Prometheus to anyone who enjoy Sci-fi film.
DirigiblePulpJul 29, 2017
Pure sci-fi. Not action, not horror, but a blend of elements and philosophizing that, in this age of sci-fi as action tentpole, is an amazing accomplishment. There are a lot of questions left unanswered, but much like life, the journey has toPure sci-fi. Not action, not horror, but a blend of elements and philosophizing that, in this age of sci-fi as action tentpole, is an amazing accomplishment. There are a lot of questions left unanswered, but much like life, the journey has to settle as the answer (for now). That may seem like explaining away what could also be blandness, lack of imagination or incoherence, but in this beautiful and spectacularly crafted film, it's hard to believe that's the case. Just because something doesn't have a concrete explanation doesn't mean it doesn't have an answer. This is a visual film and also an emotional one. The characters don't understand what's going on and they're not supposed to. They're supposed to act and react.

It observes the creation of life on many levels, including some not often thought of - Parent and child, Man and machine, God and man, God and other creatures, even God as mortal creator.

And of course Michael Fassbender's David steals the show. An incredible accomplishment of restrained acting creates a complete character out of an android.
"Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?" David discussing the mundanity of creation to Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) drowning his sorrows.
FuturedirectorJul 16, 2017
Ridley Scott's franchise is almost complete thanks to Prometheus eerie conclusion. Unfortunately, it needs more to be remembered as a thrilling, unforgettable and satisfying prequel to a saga as this one.
BorgorosMay 25, 2017
This Movie gets better and better after each time i watch it. The mystics, artwork, music, characters, thrills. Lays solid and exciting groundwork for more to come. Well crafted sci-fi from a director that knows what he is doing.
gabbygabJun 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this is the last great sci-fi (in a classic sense) that will be made, as only brain-dead big budget movies are made. As the sequel kills everything that was good in it, as if it did not exist, although having the largest incomes in the series, I can only take goodbye to you good friend as i can't view again your ending. Expand
NandiJun 1, 2017
This is what happens when number of neurons in your brain is so low its alien. Alcohol + finding Jesus in old age = big albino space Jesus cant create xenomorphs because then you cant go to heaven. RIP Gigers artistic vision and worldThis is what happens when number of neurons in your brain is so low its alien. Alcohol + finding Jesus in old age = big albino space Jesus cant create xenomorphs because then you cant go to heaven. RIP Gigers artistic vision and world building. Three points are only for visuals, cudos to visual department, everything else is beyond repair. Expand
PluutozzMay 30, 2017
Very interesting space epic featuring Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, set in the Alien universe, which the director Ridley Scott helped create. Not a perfect film, it has some obvious flaws. It does bring down the score from a 10. TheVery interesting space epic featuring Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, set in the Alien universe, which the director Ridley Scott helped create. Not a perfect film, it has some obvious flaws. It does bring down the score from a 10. The film is beautifully shot (filmed at locations such as Iceland) and mostly very well acted. Quite scary at times aswell. 3d is usually top notch. The film Prometheus might require multiple viewings and even research to grasb everything going on in it. One nice thing is to research different theories of the film, what everything means and also conecpt art and what went on during production and what "could have been". I particulary love the opening of the film and the finale. This movie was "dubbed" most disapointing film of the year 2012, might actually be true I don't know. Weird since it is such a well made movie. I expected nothing going in to see this film at the theatre and I found myself loving it. Expand
7ShadesOfEffortMay 25, 2017
Despite being so revolutionary Aliens franchise became pretty stale and worn out over the years. Each movie had its unique vibe due to variety of directors that were working on it, but technically they were all same. First movie was not onlyDespite being so revolutionary Aliens franchise became pretty stale and worn out over the years. Each movie had its unique vibe due to variety of directors that were working on it, but technically they were all same. First movie was not only good horror movie, it was one of the greatest movies about fist contact and sequels lost that thrill of exploration of something unknown and mysterious, they did not really expand lore or mythology of Aliens universe.
Fortunately, Prometheus brought this exciting feeling back. From all 6 movies released to date it did biggest contribution to Aliens' lore and that's not only about quantity. Concepts of engineers and black goo are very fresh and interesting, and supported by great designs and exceptional quality of all visual effects.
But the most important Prometheus' contribution to Aliens franchise is its thematic expansion. All previous movies were purely about death while Prometheus explores themes of life and creation, bringing new tones to the canvas of franchise. Contrast of typical horror tension and peaceful majestic views gives this movie very unique atmosphere.
It was hard for me to accept Prometheus the first time I watched it. I had exaggerated expectations while not knowing what to expect at all. It surely had some flaws that didn't allow me to enjoy it, especially from my fanboy's perspective. Disproportionate exposition made some characters look pretty brain-damaged while they were just usual expendable meat typical for horror movies, and most of deaths felt pretty anticlimactic because of that. «Thanks» to Lindelof I guess? However, all actors did great job depicting their characters (even at their dumbest moments), especially Fassbender, who eventually hijacked the role of protagonist. His character, android David, deserves special attention because it's one of the most well-written AI characters I've ever seen in sci-fi, which was kinda unexpected from Alien franchise since it didn't really focused much on synthetics before. Oh, and just for the record: I don't care about people taking off their helmets and touching weird-looking lifeforms on alien planets in the movie where spaceships have Earth gravity and fly faster than light. Scientific authenticity in Aliens was always on Star Trek level so don't try to look smarter than you really are and stay open-minded so you'll be able to enjoy this glorious masterpiece. This KINO. Movie-Parable. Movie-Revelation.

7 out of 7: not for average mind.
tremaultMay 25, 2017
I really like the characters in this, I really feel like I got to know them. The film has a lot of beauty in it and a lot of intrigue. Some people don't like the religious overtones, but for me, I can take it or leave it. It's just a subI really like the characters in this, I really feel like I got to know them. The film has a lot of beauty in it and a lot of intrigue. Some people don't like the religious overtones, but for me, I can take it or leave it. It's just a sub element of the main draw of this film which is the lovely cinematography and the intriguing characters. Personally, I see this film as the truest successor to Alien, as being made by the same person, it retains the pacing and the beauty of the shots. Expand
NikolayGMay 16, 2017
This movie makes no sense whatsoever. But if you're drinking beer with a bunch of guys and want a B movie on in the background, I guess it's OK. The acting is good. The effects are good. The writing -- senseless.
fairbrotherMay 15, 2017
"Prometheus" has a lot going for it. An interesting cast with real presence. A director with five decades of cutting-edge film-making under his belt. A premise that pursues classic philosophical questions about the origin of life within a"Prometheus" has a lot going for it. An interesting cast with real presence. A director with five decades of cutting-edge film-making under his belt. A premise that pursues classic philosophical questions about the origin of life within a straight-up genre movie framework. And some of the finest, moodiest cinematography any studio picture has managed to deliver yet in the 3D format - make no mistake, the picture looks a (hundred) million bucks. But for all that it feels fundamentally hollow and redundant. The cast are largely squandered on roles that either fail to convince or outright irritate. Scott's grasp of technical pizzazz seems, in this picture at least, to exceed his ability for solid dramatization. There's always plenty of stuff going on but little of it is ever truly compelling or stimulating. And, MILD SPOILER, the film's one effective horror scene even introduces a convenient narrative cheat which would essentially neuter the entire "Alien" mythology which "Prometheus" supposedly backs into. Prequelizing established classics has many pitfalls and "Prometheus" falls headfirst into the biggest one: it wants to be "Alien" and not be "Alien" at the same time. This built-in identity crises scuttles all the effort involved from the off. Expand
LouismarMay 14, 2017
Ce film n'a de bien que sa réalisation les personnages sont aussi con que les dialogues sont mauvais et ça veut se faire croire comme étant le messie
JPKMay 11, 2017
This is one creepy movie
This is one creepy movie
I know a lot don't like this movie, but i do because the story is decently told and the atmosphere is very chilling. Michael Fassbender is f*cking brilliant as David The Android. In conclusion, Prometheus is one chilling spectacle.
Zummy1976May 11, 2017
Truly the stupidist script ever to be filmed by A list creators. At every turn there is something that induces eye rolling.And because it's so stupid it's also very enjoyable. Favourite bit: scientists electrocuting the ancient and preciousTruly the stupidist script ever to be filmed by A list creators. At every turn there is something that induces eye rolling.And because it's so stupid it's also very enjoyable. Favourite bit: scientists electrocuting the ancient and precious Engineer head moments after discovering it - GOOD SCIENCE! Expand
delete013Mar 27, 2017
If I recall, the original Alien was good because it was, in the first place, a bloody well made movie (acting, dialogues, tension).

With or without the burden of the franchise one cannot ignore the fact that the script is a disaster. It's full of outright stupid situations. Among others, the long awaited contact between humans and space jockey race turns into a less awaited bar fight. Seriously.
In the end, this is no school movie, to let it pass because it 'merely' failed at one of it's crucial parts.

I will not even dive into the squiddish designs (who is scared of a calamari?)... So to conclude, with the script fixed and certain scenes remade the movie would perhaps be decent. Also the overall artistic impression is good. However, still far from it's ancestor.

+ 7 for the work done
- 5 for the script
+ 1 for design except..
- 2 for the squid
avr50Mar 19, 2017
an awful movie. Makes no sense and boring to death. The only great thing of this terrible mess is the visual effects. I wanted to get out of the theatre but i spend my money on this so i have to finish it.
TrailesqueMar 9, 2017
This sci-fi horror flick packs a punch in the form of mind-blowing effects and a weird, dark story. This film got into my dreams, and not in a good way. The set design, which draws on the work of artist H.R. Giger, has something to do withThis sci-fi horror flick packs a punch in the form of mind-blowing effects and a weird, dark story. This film got into my dreams, and not in a good way. The set design, which draws on the work of artist H.R. Giger, has something to do with that. There are unforgettable moments, like the super-human fighting the mighty octopus thing and eventually being devoured by it. There is hardly anyone or anything to root for here. The story is pretty unclear in spots - things happen for no good reason, and it is hard to get a good grasp on what is really going on. The characters are cold and unpleasant, and even the android has a hidden agenda. SPOILER ALERT. This involves a visit to a distant planet where a superior humanoid race has died off for some unclear reason. The reason turns out to be (probably) the super-powerful reptiles that they apparently were experimenting with, and this nasty master race turns out to be our progenitors! But they don't like us much, and seemingly want to come to our fair planet and take over. Things build slowly but culminate in an orgy of weird violence that leaves all the characters but two dead. Prepare to see people's bodies violated in seriously gross ways.

I suppose I am coming at this from a different perspective because I have not seen a movie from the Alien series in many years, and while I thought there might be a connection, it wasn't until after watching it that someone told me Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to the Alien flicks. The title is a little misleading since I did not observe much connection the classic myth of the same name. But some of the images from this have clearly wormed their way into my psyche, and that is a sign of quality imo.
bfoore90Jan 25, 2017
Not a bad movie, its wonderfully shot with strong acting from its leads. But a strong cast can only carry a movie so far as the film stumbles from a lack of properly developed characters and some questionable choices when it comes to theNot a bad movie, its wonderfully shot with strong acting from its leads. But a strong cast can only carry a movie so far as the film stumbles from a lack of properly developed characters and some questionable choices when it comes to the plot. In a sense the movie felt more like an action movie than a science fiction-thriller that Alien was, from where it was strong in visuals and brilliant set pieces it lacked in scares and jumps to keep you engaged. There wasn't any a creepy aura with subtle but intense build up that Alien had in it.This isn't saying the film isn't by any means bad, it really was an enjoyable film but it just didn't quite reach the potential that I initially thought it could reach when it was first announced. Expand
QuadrangleJan 19, 2017
Abject. I watched incredulous as this brainless film unfolded. Stupid characters in whom you can invest nothing, abysmal dialogue riddled with exposition, plot holes you could drive a bus through... it was such a sour experience that I wouldAbject. I watched incredulous as this brainless film unfolded. Stupid characters in whom you can invest nothing, abysmal dialogue riddled with exposition, plot holes you could drive a bus through... it was such a sour experience that I would give a negative rating for the time lost. Without doubt the most disappointing cinematic experience of my life (huge fan of Alien/Aliens), so much so I am still stewing about it years later. I was belatedly prompted to created an account for the sole purpose of writing this review when I saw news today of the forthcoming sequel 'Alien: Covenant'. Fingers crossed for a complete miracle, but I fear we are probably set for another absolute stinker. And why not when Prometheus unimaginably scores 65 critic/6.6 user average at timing of writing! The mind just boggles. At least there are 300+ other like-minded users out there and enjoyed reading some of your more scathing reviews :-) Expand
HelloWorld2012Dec 17, 2016
The visuals are great and I found the plot of finding our creators interesting and new. The character decisions and plot points that are constantly brought up about this film did not bother me but if you want characters to always be rationalThe visuals are great and I found the plot of finding our creators interesting and new. The character decisions and plot points that are constantly brought up about this film did not bother me but if you want characters to always be rational look elsewhere. Expand
sjwilkinSep 26, 2016
I really wanted to enjoy this, I really did. I am a huge fan of the 'Alien world', in particular I think Alien is fantastic and Aliens is one of (if not) my favourite movie of all time. Everything was set with Prometheus to be the best movieI really wanted to enjoy this, I really did. I am a huge fan of the 'Alien world', in particular I think Alien is fantastic and Aliens is one of (if not) my favourite movie of all time. Everything was set with Prometheus to be the best movie of the decade... Ridley was back, the budget was astronomical, the cast looked top notch and even the trailer was amazing. However this is probably why it went so terribly wrong... the expectation was too much. Way too much.
The movie plodded along as such a slow, boring pace with almost nothing actually happening. Visually it is spectacular but that is as far as I will go for compliments. The rest is quite poor to be blunt. Did not really answer any major questions but only asked more (another sequel anyone?). Added layers of complexity to the series and could change the way you look at the older movies now. Also, a very odd choice to get a Hollywood A-lister in his 40's to get in make up to play a man in his 80's. Such a disappointment.
kreegan64Aug 26, 2016
This movie stands as a breath of fresh air compared to the dank, horrible slew of films that came before it. From the face palm worthy AvP movies to the laughably bad resurrection and boring Alien 3 this is the best movie in the series sinceThis movie stands as a breath of fresh air compared to the dank, horrible slew of films that came before it. From the face palm worthy AvP movies to the laughably bad resurrection and boring Alien 3 this is the best movie in the series since the first. It finally tries to answer the big question about the Alien and their origin (if only partially) rather than try to tack on more convoluted garbage for cheap thrills and big bucks. Sadly, this movie is far from perfect, and does a lot of what the first one does in that it provides more questions than answers, and there are glaring plot holes and questionable choices, but what can one expect after the series had nothing but drivel for decades to try and fix up or cover over. It still stands head and shoulders above the laughable (and admittedly enjoyable) predecessors. Like I said before it's not perfect, no, far from it; but it still seems to be that much taller when compared to what came before. With Scott back behind the wheel, I can imagine the expansion on the xenomorph, the world, and others will finally go somewhere, and not continue drifting off into space where no one can hear it. Expand
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
It's hard not to have a movie spoiled by The Internet these days, especially when films premier overseas before the domestic release, so I took many of the "this is not your father's Alien" and "first George Lucas and now Ridley Scott ruinedIt's hard not to have a movie spoiled by The Internet these days, especially when films premier overseas before the domestic release, so I took many of the "this is not your father's Alien" and "first George Lucas and now Ridley Scott ruined my childhood" fanboy e-ranting with a very large grain of salt. Before I viewed Prometheus, I imagined that the first sentence of my review would make reference to Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back, cautioning a young Skywalker not to take anything with him into the bowels of the tree strong with the power of the Dark Side. I did a very good job. Unlike Luke, I did not take my childhood preconceptions of Alien exomorphs into the theater with me.

Turns out, that was totally unnecessary. When you view this film, take your preconceptions in with you, it will not matter.

I remember thinking about the halfway point of Prometheus, "Wow, this is groundbreaking. This is the most interesting, memorable science fiction film since Blade Runner or Avatar." Then, the wheels, or in this case, the landing gear fell off.

Prometheus takes the viewer to two mysterious places and times, Earth's primordial past and a distant moon of a distant planet halfway across the galaxy 80 years in our future. True, this is not your father's Alien franchise, as the message in the bottle motif of the first film is cheerfully exposited for us via flashback, hologram and a trite walkthrough reminiscent of Jurassic Park. Still, director Ridley Scott's leisurely pace builds anticipation, allowing us to drink in the epic scenery while screenwriter Damon Lindelof throws in Lost-esque backstories for Elizabeth Shaw, an intrepid anthropologist and David, the obligatory android. LV226 is a surreal, austere place, but it leaves nothing to the imagination as Prometheus lands in broad daylight within two hundred yards of an alien ziggurat in all its CGI glory and, in Cowboy fashion, the crew saddles up without the slightest reservation to storm the haunted castle. Alas, the honeymoon is over with this film with hardly a kiss. Inside, we find exactly what we expect to find. After all, if you've seen the commercials you've seen the movie.

The problem with Prometheus is that when it crosses the threshold into the belly of the beast, we've been there before, only this time it's shinier and has new MacGuffins. All the titanic scale sets and CGI cannot save Prometheus' regurgitation of scenes from the previous films, overly omniscient explanation of key plot details and a total absence of authentic motivation for any single character in the film. Prometheus suffers from an abundance of irrationality - its only rational actor, the scientist Elizabeth Shaw, at one point performing a dissection of humanity's first evidence of sentient life from another planet with the reverence, caution, respect and carefulness of Grandma poking the Thanksgiving turkey with a meat thermometer. Prometheus is dumb at times, Star Trek reboot "red matter" dumb - inexcusably so for a film intended to be more contemplative and intelligent than its source material. Storytelling is known as artfully lying and rule number one of creating a believable lie is keep the lie simple. Prometheus opts to throw in the kitchen sink and a very visually compelling kitchen sink it is, extraterrestrial dishes and all.

Prometheus is mistitled though, it is actually Pandora's Box of pestilence, but 'Pandora' is a James Cameron property at present. Ultimately, Prometheus fails on its own merits, or lack thereof and is a reminder to filmmakers of the virtue of keeping things simple. Less is more. So much more.

I cannot recommend full price for this movie, nor is it worth the price to see it in IMAX, but a digital 3D matinee might not be a total waste of your money, mostly. (Yes, that was a veiled reference to Aliens. My apologies, Newt.)
Myon-NeutrinoJul 28, 2016
One of the most ridiculous "movies" I´ve ever seen. What a lousy job... The Plot goes like this: Humanity discovers some hints to its own extraterrestrial origin, far away on another planet. So you invest overwhelmingly huge amounts of money,One of the most ridiculous "movies" I´ve ever seen. What a lousy job... The Plot goes like this: Humanity discovers some hints to its own extraterrestrial origin, far away on another planet. So you invest overwhelmingly huge amounts of money, time and ressources to set up a mission to approach that planet. Of course you need a crew: ELITE representatives of our species. The best of the best. The creme de la creme, you need the best trained, most disciplined and dedicated professionals & scientists on earth to get this done right. But instead of hiring professionals, you dispatch the most embarrassing bunch of IDIOTS to that planet. Some navigation "expert" who gets lost, some nerd with glasses fidging around in front of a snake-like alien, some brainless idiots who immediately let the secured alien head explode instead of doing serious research, some stupid potter with space suit-integrated waterpipe, a sex hungry blondie captain who rather gets black kock instead of doing a proper job on the ship, further there are many other brainless cowards. The ship itself seems to abound of every modern kind of technology but when it comes to a distress call, nobody is on the bridge and the ship doesn´t even support callforwarding or answerphone features and nobody can hear the distress call. The alien childbirth itself is somehow possible but NOBODY who just recieved a caesarian operation and simply being stapled together would be able to run miles and miles directly afterwards. There are way too many logical faults in prometheus, it´s a bloody mess. There are so many, they wouldn´t even fit in this text box. Nice CGI and stuff is a bad and insufficient excuse and I won´t watch this crap ever again. Clearly no recommendation, there are way way better Sci Fi movies out there. Expand
sefrabuJun 20, 2016
Not an "Alien" movie for sure, but a sci-fi at its best. There are less and less space opera blockbusters not focused on laser fire, and this is one of those rare beauties.
HotelCentralJun 15, 2016
This film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how realThis film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portraying scientists. Also, the sinister folk in the film, rather than reveal their evil gradually, stand right up and twirl their metaphorical mustaches so there's no doubt that there are all manner of eviltry and devilish doings just waiting to be revealed.

The number of things that people are kept in the dark about goes beyond absurd. The exploration mission is stated to be a trillion dollar project so one might be tempted to assume that plans were laid and briefings held at least a year or two before anyone actually set foot inside a space ship. In fact, most of the crew have no idea what's going on till they land on an alien world and a ship's meeting is held to explain why they've been in "cryosleep" for two years. The rich guy who set everything in motion is secretly onboard the ship, and so is his daughter, and why any of that is a secret I have no idea, unless it's just to persuade the teenagers among us that the film is full of wheels within wheels.

Yes, there are alien creatures. Two of the so-called "scientists" meet their demise in a first encounter with the creatures. Rather than regard these unknown creatures with caution the "scientists" react as if the things are very cute, just darling, and would obviously make excellent pets.

Ultimately, the film is dumb. With expensive FX. Ho-hum.
CharlemagneMay 3, 2016
Mystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowlyMystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowly falls into place. Instead they show us parts as if it's an omniscient narrative but then leave out the information required to make sense of it all, to lead us on. The movie is like a bad girlfriend or boyfriend, holding back so you think there's more to them, but you eventually find out there isn't.

But I actually disliked it less than other people. It's a shame it couldn't just 'be itself' and tell its story. I think the people behind it wanted more 'greatness' than they could muster, so they tried to fake it.
aadityamudharApr 19, 2016
Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer for this film, I have been very excited. Sadly, I think that my expectations were too high going into this film. The movie ended up not being bad, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped it to be. TheEver since I saw the first teaser trailer for this film, I have been very excited. Sadly, I think that my expectations were too high going into this film. The movie ended up not being bad, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped it to be. The movie had strong acting, but weak characters. It is a tense movie, but it fails to recapture the quiet tension of Alien, although it doesn't really try to. Overall, the movie was hampered by a poor script that needed more time to develop the characters and to strengthen the plot. I hope that if they do make a sequel, they are able to learn from mistakes because if they do, it could be a truly great film. I enjoyed the film, but was let down by it nonetheless. I had hoped that the movie would better expand upon the mythos of the Alien Universe but instead, it only muddled it more. Still, there were some fun treats for fans of the original and I would still recommend seeing it, just go into it with lower expectations than I did. Expand
sicranoApr 8, 2016
............................................................................................................................Very Underrated A Awesome entry and chapter to this prestigious Franchise...
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Although Ridley Scott’s 3D visual feast is no classic, the oozing alien tentacles hit all the right sci-fi horror notes.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if it involves figuring out who invented humankind. That's the warning at

That's the warning at the heart of Prometheus, a visual feast of a 3D sci-fi movie that has trouble combining its high-minded notions about the origins of the species and its Alien-based obligation to deliver oozy gross-out moments. Ridley Scott's third venture into science fiction, after Alien in 1979 and Blade Runner in 1982, won't become a genre benchmark like those classics despite its equivalent seriousness and ambition, but it does supply enough visual spectacle, tense action and sticky, slithery monster attacks to hit the spot with thrill-seeking audiences worldwide.

The Greek titan Prometheus got in trouble for stealing fire from Zeus and putting man on the same level as the gods. Presuming that humans won't rest until we discover where we came from and how we got here, Prometheus proposes that not very long from now, in 2093 to be precise, a plausible source of human life will not only be found but reached by space explorers backed, not surprisingly, by private, not government, interests.

The striking opening sequence (shot in Iceland) reveals scientist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace, the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) discovering ancient cave paintings indicating the likely arrival on Earth of extraterrestrials many thousands of years ago. Such evidence points to the source as a moon in a small solar system a vast distance away, but not out of reach of a trillion-dollar spacecraft built by Weyland Industries.

The buildup and arrival are the best part of the film, suggesting a sense of inquiry and genuine sort of thoughtfulness that promise a truly weighty slice of speculative fiction. Not that this territory hasn't been amply mined in the past: In fact, the particulars of the ship's interior design, visual projections, hibernating crew members, sports workout routines and Michael Fassbender's robot character as a sort of ambulatory HAL with an obsession to look and speak like Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, which he likes to watch, are unavoidably reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Little by little, however, elements of other, less philosophical films come into play, including Fantastic Voyage, Rosemary's Baby and, inevitably, Alien. Arriving on the rugged, outwardly lifeless moon, the 17 crew members notice pyramid-like structures that were clearly not fashioned by nature. Inside, the elaborate tunnels and chambers possess moisture, elaborate writing, a large statue of a human head and, more alarming, countless small cylinders that produce a sticky mud-like substance, and an apparent human head.

It doesn't take long for the crew's number to be reduced by untoward circumstances, nor for doubt to set in about the true agenda not only of Fassbender's David, who can be quietly amusing, but of Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers, the chilly Weyland executive on board who condescendingly treats everyone else, including the ship's captain (Idris Elba), as vastly inferior employees.

Elizabeth and her scientist boyfriend Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) continue to spar about the potential momentousness of their journey -- she, who wears a cross, hopes to find confirmation of her religious beliefs that will point to the existence of a traditional creator, while he is convinced that what they discover will merely prove once and for all that Darwin was right. But such rarefied considerations are thrown overboard when aliens start materializing, shooting their tentacles where you definitely don't want them, getting someone pregnant and otherwise causing the same sort of mayhem they always have in outer-space monster films.

As the survivors are pared down to a precious few, the grisliness and gross-out quotient increases; a self-inflicted cesarian section may be a screen first (certainly the result of it is), while Fassbender's fate is similarly imaginative and far funnier. This project started life as an intended prequel to Alien but morphed into something else. Unfortunately, the closer it comes to a climax, the more you feel the elements being lined up to set the stage for a sequel to this film, most of all in a coda that feels like a craven teaser trailer for the next installment.

Blonded up, perfect of diction and elegant of body, Fassbender seems almost alarmingly neutered at first as the ship's all-purpose valet but excels as he's allowed to begin injecting droll comedy into his performance.

Technically, Prometheus is magnificent. Shot in 3D but without the director taking the process into account in his conceptions or execution, the film absorbs and uses the process seamlessly.

A visually stunning return to science fiction by Ridley Scott caters too much to audience expectations when more imaginative boldness would have taken it further.
ChikatiloZMar 26, 2016
Michael Fassbender is in it, I would rate it 12/10 if I could. Anything with Michael Fassbender in it is genious, the man is a genious actor. Thank the heavens for mr. Fassbender
EpicLadySpongeFeb 21, 2016
Ridley Scott returns to make such and such movies like Prometheus. It's something you could watch nonstop without getting bored of it and it's plain drama will keep you entertaining.
lizardking420Feb 7, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ridley scott read my mind. always thought the future would be likethis. even had aomeone named promethoues as a leader, id fivufe an athiest with a tin foil hat like south park but its actually a black guy. great effects. nothing to far out. oh and its actually a prolouge tp alien. csnt beqt that. Expand
CineAutoctonoJan 9, 2016
" Prometheus " made promise himself as a sequel to Alien , to nice, quasi- sequel, they have not managed to connect with the magnificent film of the year 1979, but the performance of the protagonists was immeasurable.
TLHGDec 16, 2015
Prometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on itsPrometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on its own! Two things make me enjoy this movie so much: (1) I love Ridley Scott's Alien and Cameron's Aliens and I have been expecting explanations for the first scene in Scott's thriller for a long time, and (2) I am counting on the (already announced) sequence to complete this movie. In other words, what makes me like this movie is its connection to Alien and the expectation of a successful sequence. So if you watch this movie, make sure to watch the first Alien movie before doing so and keep in mind that the story does not end here. . . They better make an excellent job in the sequence, otherwise they will not only make a new bad movie, but also ruin this one.. Expand
Purgatory1Nov 19, 2015
First of all: I've seen all Alien movies, even all Alien vs Predator movies. So believe me if I say this movie is not worth mentioning in any context of the Alien saga, it's even worse than Alien Resurrection. I wish I would have never seenFirst of all: I've seen all Alien movies, even all Alien vs Predator movies. So believe me if I say this movie is not worth mentioning in any context of the Alien saga, it's even worse than Alien Resurrection. I wish I would have never seen Prometheus since (at least for me) it ruins the whole Alien story.

The story of this movie is just horrible and stupid and so are most of the characters. I got so annoyed by the stupidity of so many characters that all I wanted to do is constantly slap them in the face. It was so bad that I was more annoyed than entertained.

So why am I not giving this movie a 0/10? Because despite the horrible characters most of the actors did a decent job. The atmosphere is okay but nothing compared to the first and second Alien movies, CGI and sound effects are okay and so is the music.
CameraBounceGodOct 31, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wasn't annoying and sexual like stoker was ....was too short....don't want to wait for the sequel.....i'm curious as to how badly that blue thing follows and kills them as revenge....i thought everyone who died needed to die .....I'm glad about the whole movie....great foreign landscape...i even it bought it for 5 bucks... however the bad scene is ( every king has his reign).... I thought the face of the blue alien in the beginning was well done and cool...i hate the way they don't explain why it seemed to poison itself there though....Its too bad the way she kicked it in the head as she was trying to get away and that no one got revenge on her for that....thats kinda what she did to us all when she came out with those god forsaken dragon tattoos..making butt worship into a great story again and again.... ms vickers sucked at minimizing risk other than burning that terrible seeming Holloway...all the holloway scenes in the deleted scenes are so bad its crazy ....if only we got to learn a little bit more about how badass that blue guy is........at least there was no overly attractive woman like every other piece of anything from the Illuminati Expand
neilhodgkinsonOct 10, 2015
Hugely disappointing for me. And at times the movie was boring. Not in the same class as Gravity of Interstellar I am afraid. Charlize Theron was pleasing on the eye though!
FilmQueenOct 10, 2015
This movie is very thought-provoking. Michael Fassbender's performance of David, the android is particularly good and it's also a very interesting character. The film is beautiful visually and the amazing soundtrack creates an otherworldlyThis movie is very thought-provoking. Michael Fassbender's performance of David, the android is particularly good and it's also a very interesting character. The film is beautiful visually and the amazing soundtrack creates an otherworldly mood. All in all, I think it's amazing and definitely worth to watch. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 30, 2015
"Prometheus" is a mixed bag of beans. The plot kinda does get far-fetched to some senses, but the action and visuals Ridley Scott presents us are top-notch quality. Overall, it does meet the 'enjoyable' standard, but not by much.
WarsmithJun 23, 2015
I've avoided this movie for a reason. I knew it was gonna suck going in and it sucked as much going out. I saw it available at the local library and said "what the heck, I have nothing better to do" and went ahead and rented it. Even for freeI've avoided this movie for a reason. I knew it was gonna suck going in and it sucked as much going out. I saw it available at the local library and said "what the heck, I have nothing better to do" and went ahead and rented it. Even for free I feel like I should get some sort of compensation.

On top of the ham acting, the terrible make up job, the bad script it's only redeeming feature is that Prometheus is gosh darn pretty (hence the 1/10). The people on board, not even the captain knows where they are going! Who wrote this? None of the crew met before setting out, and what's with no one knowing anything about the ship before hand? You just didn't walk through the ship before you got stationed there? That's like getting on a submarine, diving only to find that there are holes on the portside, the ballast isn't balanced, the radio is broke, no escape suits, no rations and none of the pressure gauges work.

The real problem with Prometheus comes as a massive blow to die hard fans, such as I. It takes years (over 30) worth of canon, comic books, the first two films (A3 and AR were bad, but not nearly as bad as this film) and decides to chuck it all out the window.

All the futuristic tech with the holograms and the pretty jet engines and the lack of the 'Yutani' at the end of Weyland just gave me a raging headache. The film would have been received much better if they, ironically, went further back in time and had even lower tech than they had in Alien (a la clackity key boards and much more DOS)!

Fans would have loved it. Something old as something new actually works and they can't seem to grasp that effect, so instead they ripped all that was good about the series and left nothing but a steaming turd.

The series didn't deserve to have anything like Prometheus hit the silver screen and instead of helping it, it hindered it in all the worst ways. Aliens Vs. Predator 2 was akin to a magnificent masterpiece compared to this drivel!

All in all, if you view Prometheus as a 'Star Trek' movie, it's not nearly as bad (just pretend, okay?) as it seems. But the problem is that Prometheus is an 'Alien' film and thus deserves to be shredded.

Prometheus proves, yet again, that the very best films in the series are Alien and Aliens.

Final verdict: "I like to keep this handy for close encounters"
FranzHcriticJun 21, 2015
I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There areI admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films. This is too alien even for 'Alien' fans. Expand
A_So_Horror_FanJun 5, 2015
One the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as farOne the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as far as bringing us face to face with the Architects and the beginning point for this whole reality that envelopes both the “Prometheus” story and the “Alien” saga. There was no forced scenes where the cast seemed to compete with one another as a lot of films with such star power tend to have. However for me the story seemed to force way more substance than it could contain with relativity to the universe and plot set forth in this film. It felt as if a lot of material was being crammed into the movie which didn’t allow for the actual story line and sequences to relax and satisfy the over all plot. The attention to subtle suspense somehow got overpowered by the sheer amount of story that had to be told in the film. “Prometheus” is a great story that I was glad to see on screen and that final money shot that gives us our first glimpse of those terrifying alien creatures we have grown to love and fear was truly monumental. However I felt overwhelmed by fast paced race to the finish line the movie pulled me into and wished the whole thing would have had a more casual steady built to the thrills. For what it was “Prometheus” did not completely disappoint but almost felt it was a bigger story than the film could handle. Expand
ImaculataJun 3, 2015
An insulting sci-fi movie, that delivers an anti-science message, and insults the intelligence of its audience. A huge budget and a few star names cannot disguise what is really just a badly written pretentious movie rife with plot holes thatAn insulting sci-fi movie, that delivers an anti-science message, and insults the intelligence of its audience. A huge budget and a few star names cannot disguise what is really just a badly written pretentious movie rife with plot holes that are not minor, and which leans on a whole lot of religious symbolism and pseudo psychology, based in part on the ramblings of well known fraud, Erich Von Däniken. This movie cannot stand in the shadow of Alien. Right from the start any intelligent viewer will be pulling his hairs out due to the illogical actions of the characters, and their dumb dialogue. The irony here is that every single death in the movie could have been entirely prevented, had any of the scientists behaved like actual scientists. And this is exactly what makes the movie so insulting. It delivers a message that science and skepticism are bad things (such as being skeptical that the air on an alien planet is breathable). It portrays a lead scientist who doesn't use science, but "chooses to believe something is true". Can we get a different lead scientist for this mission please?! This movie could easily be renamed to "Please don't stick your fingers in that, -the movie". When characters behave so suicidally stupid, it becomes impossible to be invested in the characters as a viewer. There's some really cheap sequel baiting at the end too. Expand
SethEvandorMay 31, 2015
So you don't detect the lifeforms or bacteria in the environment around you once the atmosphere changes! Okay, so your suit isn't fireproof! But ffs, why does there have to be female and male units? I'm sorry, I'm not programmed to deal withSo you don't detect the lifeforms or bacteria in the environment around you once the atmosphere changes! Okay, so your suit isn't fireproof! But ffs, why does there have to be female and male units? I'm sorry, I'm not programmed to deal with half the human species! So, why do they take their helmets off... Why aren't they cautious at all? Why do two of them get lost? I don't care about the hero's lover, crying or keeling over in pain again will only irritate me.

One thing I noticed after a watch is how you really have no idea where they are going inside the ship, they walk along a corridor, but it means nothing, inside the alien facility, they run down the corridor, but where are they? This movie seemed cheap as **** and then they would just use CGI to make cool explosions and huge ships.... Well that doesn't make your movie good. There is just a lack of visual information.

The dialogue is AWFUL, the characters had very little which was interesting or meaningful to say. This movie isn't memorable at all, and if I were asked what the movie were about, I would say "alien goo. Oh and there's an angry alien and an angry baby!" The directing is good, which is a shame.
adpirtleMay 30, 2015
I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace,I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as two of the dimmest scientists in cinema history. To be fair, the film never attempted to portray them as particularly bright, but I was left wondering how the pair landed such an important gig. Perhaps Weyland blew the budget on his gorgeous spacecraft and had to skimp on the staffing. That moderate criticism aside, it's still very good science fiction, and I'm very much looking forward to its 2017 sequel. Expand
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
I have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and itI have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever to do so). Well, like it or not, that's my opinion. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
This movie is so disappointing.It's just a messy rip-off of Alien except with more budget.The acting was not that good and all the good scenes were shown in the trailer.For the rest, the movie is long and uninteresting.
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015
In 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since theIn 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens was the only sequel to build effectively upon the foundation laid by Scott. The lazy and disappointing Alien 3 and the lackluster Alien Resurrection degraded the brand - a brand that was utterly destroyed by the Alien vs. Predator abominations. So, when Scott expressed a desire to return to the Alien universe, it came as no surprise that he wanted to avoid doing another Alien movie, although the temptation not to fully sever the umbilical cord was too great. Prometheus is a prequel that works as a stand-alone but offers added benefits to those familiar with the Alien series. Is it a worthy addition to a franchise that has been unable to boast a genuinely satisfying entry in more than 25 years? That depends on what you're expecting.

Prometheus is not without problems but, for the most part, they are problems that result from overreaching rather than playing it safe. In a strange way, I was reminded of Tree of Life. Scott takes chances and some of his choices don't work, but the movie is never uninteresting. Prometheus is more cerebral than I expected, and that's a good thing. It weighs more heavily on familiar science fiction conceits than action, adventure, thriller, or horror elements. In fact, some of the "monster moments" seem almost to have been shoehorned to elevate the energy level and keep things from becoming too talky.

Prometheus has a little too much going on. It's a story of big ideas and, as is often the case with movies designed to be about something, the human characters are marginalized. Even the best developed of them is a little two-dimensional and many of the secondary characters are defined only by recognizable traits. It's difficult to argue that any of the individuals in Prometheus has what could be considered a satisfying character arc. One of the principals (think: tall, blond) in particular is cheated. The film also deals with the genesis of the alien, although that in some ways is a tangential element. Although Prometheus has a lot of hooks that lead to Alien, a direct sequel to this movie would likely go in another direction. The conclusion of Prometheus gets things to where they need to be at the start of the 1979 movie. If there's no Prometheus 2, it won't leave a gap in the Alien chronology.

Watching Prometheus in 3-D, I was strongly reminded of how different a native 3-D production is from a converted one. Scott is one of only a handful of filmmakers to film a major motion picture in 3-D and the visual quality is striking. Prometheus' 3-D creates a sense of depth and detail that even the best 3-D conversion cannot come close to replicating. What's more, because Scott compensates for the dimness of the glasses, the movie never descends into a murky mess. It's a crisp, clear experience entirely unlike about 90% of what's out there being touted as 3-D. Prometheus, like Avatar and Hugo, shows that, when used as a tool and not a money-grubbing gimmick, there is a place for 3-D in today's movies. Unfortunately, it takes directors like Cameron, Scorsese, and now Scott to find the "sweet spot." Although I have no doubt that Prometheus will work in 2-D, the 3-D is worth the extra money; it enhances, rather than degrades, the experience.

It's easy to forecast Prometheus' biggest obstacle: getting audiences to buy into adult science fiction with a movie that is being touted as an Alien prequel. On the sci-fi spectrum, Prometheus is a lot closer to 2001 than it is to Alien vs. Predator. Viewers should understand what they're getting; it has less to do with action and shock killings (although there are a few of those) than with an exploration of space as a means of learning about what it means to be human. This is intentionally a very different movie from Alien; Scott consciously did not repeat himself, except perhaps in small doses. One could argue that Prometheus has more in common with Scott's other iconic science fiction endeavor, Blade Runner, than with Alien. Whatever its pedigree, however, one thing is clear: Prometheus is the antithesis of the "big, dumb summer movie." Its visuals and special effects can stand toe-to-toe with any of the season's spectacles, but are audiences ready for something with an intelligent, thought-provoking screenplay where the action is secondary? Prometheus is flawed, but stupidity cannot be numbered among its missteps.
johnbobs1May 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most people would admit that there hasn't really been a truly good movie involving the idea surrounding the early ''Alien'' films since ''Aliens''. Since then, we've suffered the sub-standard final two films of the ''quadrilogy'' and the action packed but fairly pointless (I thought) Alien vs Predator films.
Therefore I wasn't expecting big things from Prometheus. I didn't really get them either, just an enjoyable and well thought out prelude to the original Ridley Scott film of 1979.
This is Ridley Scott's first ''Alien'' related film since the brilliant, clammy and atmospheric horror of the original, and his touch is evident in many of the scenes. It's certainly the most tense and eerie film since the the original. In terms of storyline, things are extremely well planned out. The general idea behind the Alien race and its origins is equally superb and ambiguous and horrifying.
The film falls down a little in it's execution. Things get a little confusing at times (it wasn't until I read other reviews that I fully understood the complete idea behind the plot) and it takes nearly an hour to really get going. What is pleasing is that an enormous amount of visual attention to detail has been paid to the film - so much so that to fans of the original film (like myself), this does feel like a proper prequel.

In terms of the actors and their characters, it's all pretty much par for the course in terms of Alien films. Strong female lead, slightly dodgy droid, corrupt bloke, nice man who female lead falls for but dies. You get the picture. There's nothing one truly memorable about the characters, which is a pity considering that the acting is generally of a high standard.

Overall, a welcome, well thought out and generally good addition to the series that will certainly please fans. Welcome back Ridley Scott....
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015

If there's an obvious element missing from Prometheus, it's a strong identification with the humans, who are underdeveloped and underwritten. Most of what's interesting about the story has little to do with the protagonists. Prometheus is about solving mysteries - not only piecing together the specific series of events that lead to the "birth" of a lethal species, but also answering questions about the motivations of the "Engineers" who came to (what would eventually become known as) LV-426 and what their long range plans are. The conclusion is open-ended but doesn't feel incomplete.

homer4presidentMar 29, 2015
Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans,Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans, but this one is really good! Prometheus is what going to the movies is about: 2 hours of action, thrills, scares, and jaw dropping special effects! Expand
LoRevisorJan 29, 2015
Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos NoomiUma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme. Expand
chess123mateDec 28, 2014
I strongly dislike this movie. It is illogical, plot-hole-filled, pointlessly gruesome, and the plot was pretty slow too. The characters do not make sense. I rate it 1 because it looks good.
MarkT2014Dec 25, 2014
The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
Le__XenomorphDec 19, 2014
Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals.Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals. Never once did I feel bored in this movie. 8/10 (great) Expand
lukechristianscNov 29, 2014
Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
NazguleroNov 24, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be giving this a 1 for a few good special effects, such as the probes they released in the cave, and the spacecraft, which looked cool. The rest: awful. Most of the scenes were stolen from other movies, such as the android playing basketball, hey, Sigourney already did that in Alien Resurrection. The story did not make any sense, none of the characters were the least likable, and how did these astronauts ever get the job ? They were all completely incompetent. In addition, the main female character is ugly, and she moans and screams the entire time, similar to the horrible performance of Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity', which really translates into the audience just wanting her to die. Expand
Mosh603Nov 10, 2014
I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
busbfranOct 17, 2014
Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not thePrometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
the_real_expertOct 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
DenisManuSep 6, 2014
Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension,"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
SpangleJul 28, 2014
Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to lookHeading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
sammurphy66Jul 22, 2014
Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
mariotoadrabbitJul 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
KleenexTexJun 30, 2014
Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I wasDue to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
Voodoo123Jun 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
PvtJacksonJun 16, 2014
Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the firstHonestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
treebla16Jun 3, 2014
For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D,For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI. Expand
Cerberus0Apr 4, 2014
Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visualsWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
usherd369Mar 31, 2014
Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to theBetter than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up. Expand
mijxeroFeb 25, 2014
I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest thingsI wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible. Expand
adalberathFeb 8, 2014
"Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human"Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome. Expand
FysmanJan 28, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
* Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
* Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
* Logic and reason is nowhere.
* An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
* Boring and in no way suspenseful
* Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
* Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
* Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
marcmyworksJan 11, 2014
This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot characterThis unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did). Expand
Akshay7Jan 2, 2014
Science Fiction or Faith?

Science Fiction or Faith?

At the end of the movie I was a bit confused about this movie leaving unanswered questions. But after thinking about it for some time and few discussions some were answered and I am hoping rest will be answered in the potential sequel as told by director Scott. I haven't seen 'Alien' the film which 'Prometheus' is supposed to be prequel to yet, so my review is treating Prometheus independently. I am ardent science-fiction fan and the plot of based on the questions like "Did someone design humans?", "Where do we go after death?", "Why there is life?", etc. which ponder in my mind everyday generated great excitement and expectations from this film but at the end was slightly disappointed by answers. Leaving where the story ends up aside Prometheus has outstanding visuals with slick cinematography, good performance by Michael Fassbender as a robot(who plays a key role) and generates enough suspense/thrills to entertain and thus receives a positive response from me. Just don't have too high expectations then you will like this film.
blast664Dec 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
What are David's motives?
Why was the old guy hiding?
The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
eagleeyevikingDec 14, 2013
graymatter32Dec 9, 2013
Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
S2G047Dec 8, 2013
Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
Leandro36Dec 5, 2013
This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, hadThis movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv. Expand
alfuzzNov 21, 2013
Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
I loved the
I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely.
kamikazebingoNov 7, 2013
A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
FinetalPiesOct 27, 2013
This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a reallyThis movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting. Expand
ElucidateOct 6, 2013
Despite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, andDespite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, and fascinating, but suffers from poor decision-making on part of the writers. Expand
RekkrSep 26, 2013
I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as aI write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
I guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
Dr_FetusSep 25, 2013
This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why,This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
pauljohnsonSep 20, 2013
We are "scientists".

We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
klieberungSep 12, 2013
unexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is anunexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of the story with pros and cons. pros is that story can only improve and become more delineated, understandable and astonishing with the next episodes. cons is that you exit from the cinema with the unpleasant feeling of having seen a movie interrupted without know when (and if) there will be the next part and with a lot too much of question with no answer. Expand
ViolettSep 6, 2013
Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
KatharsisAug 24, 2013
special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are ablespecial effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
saito200aAug 18, 2013
I should give this movie a zero. The only reason I give it not is that the visuals are great. Art designers clearly put a lot of care into that, and they deserve recognition. Ridley Scott, and the guys who developed the plot and theI should give this movie a zero. The only reason I give it not is that the visuals are great. Art designers clearly put a lot of care into that, and they deserve recognition. Ridley Scott, and the guys who developed the plot and the characters on the other hand should be ashamed of pissing all over the heads of the people who wanted to watch a good alien movie, or even a decent one.
The only thing I could find likeable is the initial scene and the scene where the android is in the ship and everyone else is still sleeping. The rest is ruined by the really stupid characters who act like teenagers more than scientists. They become drunk because after the first 30 minutes of exploring the planet, they (believe) they find discouraging answers. Incidentally, there's never any proof or scientific evidence shown that their statements about the "engineers" are correct. And the nonsensical plot, where nothing is explained, nothing seems to be logical, and events seem to occur randomly. For instance, the attack of the geologist when he is in "zombie mode". I don't get what that scene brings. Pure ****
I find this movie insulting. Seen it twice and every time is worse.
On the other hand, I kind of like the design of the proto-alien in the very end. A pity that they don't explain a damn thing about why it comes to life. In the first and second alien movie there was a clear biological cycle. In here, there's just some magical black fluid which can either kill you, or turn you into a beast, or you can use it to inseminate your partner with a giant squid which then can implant an alien embryo in another being. Yeah, sure.
Want some real alien, watch alien 1 or 2.
ReviewsForFolksAug 10, 2013
Prometheus has an interesting premise but ends up leaving way too many unanswered questions, which can be expected from a movie exploring how humans were created.

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is dumb, irritating and annoying. She has very few good ideas (like, hey theres an alien inside me, I should get it out), sounds stupid and always wears a weird expression in her face (more bad acting than bad character in this case) and is just so unappealing that I wished her to die somewhere in the beginning of the movie.
The ending seems like a sequel bait. Lame.
Soundtrack is not fitting to the movie.
CGI and special effects are great though.
There are a few good scares and some violent scenes too. None of them are emotional though.
If I would be asked to recommend this movie, I wouldnt.
dyshpoJul 29, 2013
epic cinematography beautiful but epically predictable no real scares so many unresolved plot holes .
you will find rooting for the aliens by the end
moonman1994Jul 27, 2013
Prometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews itPrometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews it has gotten. Plain and simple it doesn't live up to the expectations of the audience but that does not outright make it a bad film. Expand