Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 1879 Ratings
1,133
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
UlquiorraMay 16, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the worst movie i have ever seen. After seeing it i was pist off because it was so bad. The plot was rubbish, there happened so many thing and not 1 thing was later explained. They send the most retarded fella's on the most important mission of mankind. The woman cuts an alien out of her womb and an hour later she can run, rappel, climb, and not feel a thing? "open to interpretation" my ass. Expand
zepoxiMay 9, 2013
I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
No story what so
No story what so ever.
Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
Jones21May 5, 2013
Now, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. TheNow, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. The problem with this movie is EVERYTHING ELSE. The plot itself is ok, but the execution is complete garbage. The two dumbasses biologist and map designer got lost even though they're the ones who has the good idea of running before its too late and then got killed because the biologist guy call an alien penis "beautiful", and that's the point where the entire movie got horrible. Afterwards everyone died one by one just like a typical horror flick, and it wouldn't be that bad if the movie is actually supposed to be like that, but its not. The movie is about these ambitious attempt of discovering the origins of human life. These people that died are supposed to be experts on their fields. If these people in the movie are the best that humanity can offer, humanity is doomed. It's completely dumb and stupid. Maybe it's just me thinking about it, it's possible that other people get through the stupidity and enjoy the movie, but come on, 100 by Roger Ebert??? God bless your soul MR Ebert for making a great influence after all these years, but this is the most dishonest review you have ever done and you know it. Please review the best movie of all time with your partner up there. It's called Real Life. 10 years of screentime and it reviews life of every men and women in the world so there's plenty of hating and loving of human nature. Expand
aus741ausApr 26, 2013
Honestly I loved this movie so I'll just say what I liked and mention my one core, and petty criticism.

The story, good. A decent explantion of where the alien ship came from while still acting as a good stand alone story in the Alien universe.
Enjoyable and believable characters that are well acted with David, a robot who sees his creator as a father and pretends to be human in the opening, being the best of the pick.
Legitimate tension to keep you invested and good action, a great return to sci-fi for Ridley Scott.

What I didn't like was the soundtrack, it feels al over the place. Some songs sound like they're from 2001 A Space Odyssey, while others sound like thy're from Alien andThe Terminator. Plus there's this underlying feeling that the story would've been better if it went with the original script. Which wasa straight up Alien prequel.

All in all a good movie that expands on the Alien universe in a unique way.
NGeoApr 20, 2013
I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
penfifteenApr 10, 2013
Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
mbeckfordApr 7, 2013
Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there
Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre.

For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star
Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing,
and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
"alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
for genre fans.
ClariseSamuelsApr 7, 2013
This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landedThis film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
oblique15Apr 6, 2013
I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers theI found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol Expand
TheCritic1Mar 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
EcclesiastesMar 20, 2013
If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
BrianMcCriticMar 16, 2013
I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
VoltiusMar 15, 2013
A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has anA movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment. Expand
WayneThomas412Mar 11, 2013
A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
billrullerMar 1, 2013
I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "YouI know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
DukeJonFeb 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
KuarinofuFeb 18, 2013
I expected so much more from this movie.
A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a
I expected so much more from this movie.
A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
Well, it's not.
Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions.
But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks.
I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for.
AnBeagleachtFeb 18, 2013
I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs allI think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
UnderTheRainFeb 16, 2013
A new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universeA new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas and Theron in it but beyond that the plot and story are poor and the aliens tie in is just rubbish. I left the cinema feeling really sad about this film then again for me it's been follwoing in a long line of bad aliens movies. Alien (epic) still one hell of a movie with bit that make me jump even though I've seem them 100 times
Aliens watch the special ed (epic) this is still one of the greatest action movies of all time
Alien 3 trying to be Alien but still watchable
Alien 4 trying to be Aliens this is where the rot sets in and the series starts to go down hill
AvP Appauling
AvP Requim Appauling
Prometheus Extremely graphically superb with some great performances but ultimately in the poorer end of the franchise.

Ultimately Prometheus is visually stunning but falls short with the story and Aliens tie in and spoils the lore somewhat. All of the Aliens computer games have also been extremely poor also which is odd as they simply have the best ip for both the movies and games
SupR_GFeb 11, 2013
If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects andIf the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
Rob7309Feb 8, 2013
This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid.This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects. Expand
Rox22Feb 7, 2013
The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the castThe best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
sanyrubFeb 3, 2013
Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurdBest sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
ILHMJan 31, 2013
A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadlyA band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
TheQuietGamerJan 31, 2013
I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort ofI'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
TheGeographer52Jan 25, 2013
A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
HucksterJan 20, 2013
What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). ThisWhat a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
citroenpersJan 19, 2013
Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered inFirstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
Bughyman1000Jan 19, 2013
I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it asI want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting. It's far from great, it's far from what older Sci-Fi movies have done, not to mention it's way below the bar which the Alien series has set long ago. The plot has some problems and, the characters are rather undeveloped and some of them feel out of place (they're not relevant, given the nature of their task) and the story has a very slow pace. On the other hand, the visuals are amazing and the cinematography - spectacular, all the while the 3D implementation is somewhat pointless. I gave it a 7 because I respect Ridley's effort and although I've been disappointed with it overall, I admit it has strong aspects. Let's face it, the movie industry is on a downward slope for some years now, and it doesn't seem to get any better when even the most respected directors disappoint. Expand
WiesyJan 18, 2013
I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
David_HJan 10, 2013
One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace isOne of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events. Expand
RendCycleJan 6, 2013
I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are justI've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
jack977Jan 2, 2013
The movie promises to answer some of the most quintessential questions of our existence, but never gets anywhere close. Instead it quickly jumps genre and evolves into an "Alien" for the 21st century (though the old one is still as good andThe movie promises to answer some of the most quintessential questions of our existence, but never gets anywhere close. Instead it quickly jumps genre and evolves into an "Alien" for the 21st century (though the old one is still as good and hasn't lost its sheen with time). It's however redeemed by its sweeping visual grandeur and spot-on performances by Rapace and Fassbender. Expand
mvh888Jan 1, 2013
Prometheus was supposed to be the best movie of 2012 and after watching the first hour it definitely was on it's way of becoming one of the better ones, but the great start totally lost all of it's strength in the mid-section and the end. ThePrometheus was supposed to be the best movie of 2012 and after watching the first hour it definitely was on it's way of becoming one of the better ones, but the great start totally lost all of it's strength in the mid-section and the end. The director lost my focus bit by bit and towards the end i was not interested at all. The idea of the story is pretty well but it just didn't work out. I didn't really "bond" with one of the characters in general which i usually do. Even though the graphics were great and a 5 should be given because the first part was really well and the graphics were great. Expand
DeaconRookeDec 31, 2012
I have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sciI have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the question is asked. Can they trust Dr Shaw's and Dr Halloways Engineers(names two of the scientist's give who they believe are there creators). This movie contains a good cast containing Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Naomi Rapice, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Logan Marshel-green. This movie however is a bit boring for in parts and relies heavily on aliens killing people, but i guess thats just the sci-fi genre. So over all a great movie for people who love the Sci-fi genre. Expand
BigAlienBossDec 31, 2012
This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters.
It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is
This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc.
It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching.

But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
GoingCriticDec 29, 2012
The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott)

Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space

Sorry.

Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis:

A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
coastermongerDec 28, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
coolunmeDec 26, 2012
I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? ItsI'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
WriteFilmLive21Dec 26, 2012
"Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon"Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this film is that it stands on its own as a science fiction movie just as well as a prequel to "Alien" - it weaves a complex and intriguing plot tracing the evolution and ultimate birth of the iconic extraterrestrial, while also confronting questions about creation that, in the end, are still left not fully answered. And although it doesn't carry the haunting atmosphere of "Alien", scenes such as Shaw's grisly surgery lend it its own grand, dark identity. The special effects are just gorgeous, the acting is good, and there is nothing major that stands out worth criticism. Overall, a very solid sci-fi flick. Expand
MDawgDec 17, 2012
Ridley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes setRidley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes or some unbelievable turn of events it more than makes up for it in the acting (Michael Fassbender as David could be the performance of his career to date) and momentum. It took a while to really get going but when it did, some gruesome graphics were thrusted into the face of the viewer making it impossible to look away. 'Alien' fans will enjoy this movie. 'Aliens' fans might not. Expand
Lambo442Dec 9, 2012
An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar.An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar. It's a bit of a rehash of Alien in way. Come on Ridley, define a genre again for us, create a world like John Carpenter did recently, like you did with Bladerunner. Give us real horror, real suspense like you did in the original Alien. Mind you I thought even that was a bit slow, Aliens was better. Sorry Ridley. I love you for Bladerunner, and Black Hawk down wasn't bad (haven't seen any others) but I know you can do better. You have another Alien film in you. Don't give up. But give us blood curdling horror and suspense. Expand
Wes4LesDec 7, 2012
I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then itI cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!
Variola_MajorDec 2, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So let me get this straight... In the future, two archaeologists discover a 35.000 years old cave painting, in Scotland. Painted by humans who seemed to worship giant aliens, members of superior space-faring race. Similar finds were made all over the world, of artifacts left behind by independent civilizations that shared no contact. Apparently those ancient aliens posed as Gods, were friendly, and yet, with such teachers and sponsors, all that those humans were able to leave behind were cave paintings made with charcoal and some stone tools. THIS ALONE makes archaeologists forget all about Lucy and other famous australopithecines and hominids. Screw Darwin. We were CREATED... umm...engineered. Because one archaeologist "chose to believe so." Jesus of Nazareth was an alien hybrid, she concludes, I guess. Insulting pseudo-religious anti-science diarrhea at it's best. But wait, it gets worse... On those ancient artifacts are included identical star maps that look like an invitation, she chose to believe. Invitation from whom, you might ask, invitation to go where? Well, invitation from our gods, umm... aliens I mean. To go where? WELL, TO GO VISIT AN ANCIENT ALIEN BIOWEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY, OF COURSE !!! So naturally, humans go and visit. Why would a super advanced race of Engineers invite their Children to visit a bioweapons storage facility, and not a Temple of Knowledge???

A trillionaire named Weyland pays for a space exploratory mission, THE Mission, Mission of all missions. So one would think that such a Mission would be populated by crown jewels of modern science, Cream of the Cream, the Super Intelligentsia, the very best that future Harvard, Oxford and Stanford will be able to offer the richest ,most powerful man on the planet Earth.

Right ? Wrong. Weyland handpicked a bunch of retards whose intellect operates on a level of a ten-year-old who learned science from comic books, and bad comic books at that !!! An archaeologist suddenly becomes an expert in genetics and biochemistry, while moron biologist gets lost with a sociopathic geologist in a 3D-mapped cave, while being able to communicate with captain. Alien genome is identical to human genome. Scientists remove their helmets twenty minutes after entering a compound on a foreign planet which they KNOW is populated with alien biology and potential pathogens. And when they encounter a foreign organism (after discovering a bunch of mutilated alien corpses !!!), a sinister looking cobra-like worm, the very first alien humans ever encountered, what do they do ? They start laughing and giggling like drunk high school kids, you know, those retarded football types, and they start petting that god-damned thing. 2000-years-old mummified corpses are twitching like they died five minutes ago and suddenly explode, spraying gallons of bodily fluids all over the lab. That's after those silly "scientists" poke the corpse with an electric needle !!! Yes, that's ancient mummies I'm talking about. A woman who just went through fully opened abdominal surgery is stitched like a cardboard and starts running around. Literally ! They find strange organic liquid stored in vases, on an industrial scale, in ancient alien temple - nobody bothers to properly analyze it. Have you ever seen a NASA news conference or mission room after they landed a new probe on Mars? Those scientists are hugging each other with tears in their eyes. Their voices are shaking. AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAND ON MARS PERSONALLY, THEY JUST SUCCESSFULLY LANDED A ROVER!!! Landing on an alien world is every geologist's wet dream, every geologist masturbates to the thought of that! And what does our Prometheus' geologist have to say when he wakes up from cryo-sleep? "Don't bother me with your friendship, I'm here to make money." It's like he just broke out of jail. And so on and on. The idiocy of these so called scientists is beyond belief and it just never stops. It just gets worse and worse with every additional scene. It is actually quite astonishing just how stupid this film is. Is Lindelof mentally retarded? Definitely. It's either that or he just did it on purpose, out of sheer perversion. Is Scott senile? Or just criminally under-educated egomaniacal quasi-intellectual masturbator ? You tell me... I'm perfectly able to enjoy "childish" sci-fi, like Transformers. That's because Michael Bay didn't set out to cheat me. He said Transformer movie is about a sexy couple, cool giant robots, ultra-spectacular action scenes and... that's it. That's what Michael Bay promised us and that's EXACTLY what he delivered. I respect Bay for his unpretentious honesty and I wasn't at all disappointed by his films, in fact - I enjoyed them very much ! But this Prometheus was sold to me as a quintessential A-Movie, a masterpiece of serious, intelligent Sci-Fi. It was supposed to be an intellectual Sci-Fi film. I feel raped.
Bruce722Nov 29, 2012
Prometheus was better than I expected but not as good as I hoped. Bottom line, it was just an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. Certain scenes were pretty ridiculous and made the movie almost laughable. The acting was nothing special.Prometheus was better than I expected but not as good as I hoped. Bottom line, it was just an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. Certain scenes were pretty ridiculous and made the movie almost laughable. The acting was nothing special. This was one of those movies where the characters made annoyingly ridiculous decisions. It's tough to really review the movie without giving away too much but I will say this; For a movie that was essentially a prequel, they introduced too many questions without really answering anything. Sure, sometimes this is done in movies to make you think. That's not the impression I get with Prometheus. It honestly felt like there was just some seriously lazy writing. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Although it leaves more puzzles unanswered than it does solved, "Prometheus" remains in my opinion a visually mystifying film with an equally spellbinding story.
Trev29Nov 24, 2012
It could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. TheIt could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. The director seemed to accomplish the atmosphere he intended to have. Expand
drSpockwaNov 23, 2012
I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects,I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
csw12Nov 18, 2012
Let me start by saying the movie looks incredible but that is really all i had to say really good about it. It tries to explain the most important questions of mankind but comes up flat and the plot didn't have an imagination to it when itLet me start by saying the movie looks incredible but that is really all i had to say really good about it. It tries to explain the most important questions of mankind but comes up flat and the plot didn't have an imagination to it when it came to explaining the questions it tried to answer. Expand
nutterjrNov 18, 2012
It is a real pity that a film as visually astonishing as Prometheus, with good cast and a visionary director on a story based on the very question mankind has always tried to answer (where do we come from?) to fall short due to lack ofIt is a real pity that a film as visually astonishing as Prometheus, with good cast and a visionary director on a story based on the very question mankind has always tried to answer (where do we come from?) to fall short due to lack of suspense, very poor script and the ridiculous looking 'humanity makers'. Expand
warfieldNov 18, 2012
Out of respect for Ridley Scott, I award this film a 5. If the film did not have high-end effects and production design, it would seem at amateurish as those B-movie black white serial sci-fi adventures that were re-shown on early TV duringOut of respect for Ridley Scott, I award this film a 5. If the film did not have high-end effects and production design, it would seem at amateurish as those B-movie black white serial sci-fi adventures that were re-shown on early TV during the 50's and which I then found too corny to watch. Where did they go wrong? And why the sop to the great Alien film series at the end of this film? A real disappointment. I usually trust Roger Ebert's reviews: why the "100" review from him? Expand
DTDunnNov 16, 2012
Even a movie about the far away future, a movie that by definition involves nothing but speculation, must retain some semblance of believability. This plot has so many illogical holes in it that you spend much of your time thinking about howEven a movie about the far away future, a movie that by definition involves nothing but speculation, must retain some semblance of believability. This plot has so many illogical holes in it that you spend much of your time thinking about how ludicrous the scenes are. This is not a momentary lapse, this problem runs through the entire film. While the movie is watchable, is is so poorly written that you cannot escape into the fantasy. Expand
oliver1hNov 13, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!
bosnianNov 12, 2012
So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
ilovegames32Nov 12, 2012
I had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not madeI had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what the opening scene STONGLY SUGGESTS! His DNA turns black & withers away but he falls in the water & wah la....were accidentally created so when you hear...why are we hear or why did they create us common sense should tell you to laugh! The acting is superb...the visuals are impressive throught out but that's not enough to cover the SHEER IDIOCY of what follows next with no logic what so ever! Why is David seen eating food in the beginning & drinks the same green juice as the captain when they all first awake if he's a machine? Why does David care about his looks..he's a machine? Why did weyland fake his death? It serves no purpose since it wasn't explained why he did it! why is David so sensitive to insults? How do you come to the conclusion that cave drawings are an invitation from aliens....when humans drew the pictures? Why is it that when everyone is told...WE FOUND A NEW PLANET THAT MAY HOLD THE KEY TO OUR EXISTANCE....no one gets excited? How can you conclude that these aliens are what made us with absolutely no proof? I thought scientist's relied on facts? How is it that they have high tech equipment & a spaceship but have helmet cam's that cant record? Why show holograms of aliens running but not what's chasing them? What happened to all the aliens that killed our creators?did they leave & if so...how? How do you get lost when you have video & radio contact with the ship & crew...AND A 3D MAP YOU JUST MADE? If the head of an alien is so important(& it was) why electrify it without testing it to make sure you don't destroy it? Why didn't halloway stop them from destroying an important find? Why did David kill halloway? I thought he probably wanted data on what would happen when he introduced alien dna to the human body but they ignored giving a logical resaon for why he poisoned him! Why play with an alien snake? I thought these people were smart? Why did David turn off the cam so vickers couldnt see what he saw? Why didn't vickers ask David why he turned off the camera when he got back? Why are there holograms of aliens practically showing anyone who comes there how to fly there ship but no lab where the bio-engineered aliens were made? How can you use a flame thrower in an environment that has no air?if David was really a shady character wouldnt he have helped get the Alien out of Shaw & take it for himself like he took the alien capsule in the cave? Why is vickers in possession of a medical machine that's only for men?HOW DID SHAW USE THAT SAME MACHINE to get the alien out of her when it scanned her? I'm sure it noticed she was female but it still performed the operation? Why didn't anyone question why Shaw walked in the room all bloodied with a Hugh scar across her stomach? Why didn't she tell anyone about the alien trapped in the machine? How did fifield just pop up if he was looking at the screens the whole time? Why was fifield a murdering zombie? After fifield was run over where did the guy drive off to...he left the ship & never returned! After just pulling an alien out of her body & learning that weyland was still alive...why continue back to the cave instead of seeking medical attention?why was our creator sleep if they were planning to kill all humans? Why did he go berserk & kill everyone if they so intelligent? Why kill all humans anyway? The captain told vickers to go to HER ship & he will eject it in 40seconds(which he did) SO WHY DID SHE GO TO AN ESCAPE POD? why run from a ship falling in the EXACT path that your running? Yet not go left or right? Why travel to an alien homeworld to get answers when you see first hand they'd rather kill us then talk to us? WHY DID I WASTE TWO HOURS WATCHING THIS ILLOGICAL MESS TO SEE AN ALIEN POP OUT THE ENGINEERS CHEST(ITS WHY I SAW IT IN THE FIRST PLACE) ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE ENDING CREDITS? people like this crape but cant explain why...they just say it was good but don't know why lol well...I have a Hugh list supporting why this movie is a waste of brain cells....AVOID THIS IF YOU WANT ANY LOGICAL ACTIONS BY SCIENTISTS. BUT IF YOU LOVE NICE VISUALS WITH A GOOD IDEA RUINED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE POSING AS SCIENTIST'S WHO DOES THE MOST ILLOGICAL THINGS FITTING OF RETARD INBRED HILLBILLY PROMETHEUS IS FOR YOU....A RELIGIOUS SCIENTIST'S GOOD GOD THIS SCRIPT WAS BAD!! Expand
EludiumQ36Nov 11, 2012
"Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've"Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact protocol and predictably suffered for it. BTW, did the opening sequence with the disintegrating suicide make sense to anyone ?! Expand
A_NorthernerNov 11, 2012
Why did I watch it?
Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.
What's it all about? Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if
Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.
creanerNov 10, 2012
I was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to coverI was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to cover up the awful story.someone needs to shove Ridley Scotts face into Prometheus,with the result hopefully being no more piles of dog crap like this being made by him again.If this was made by an unknown director,i think the ratings would down in the 2's and 3's,where it should be. Expand
lboy62Nov 9, 2012
absolutely amazing and a must see film. effects are amazing and the set design is gorgeous! just remember that AVP (alien vs predator) is NONE canon.
CanoticNov 9, 2012
Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that hasLook, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of thisPrometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale. Expand
Sh4rk82Nov 5, 2012
I'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end ofI'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end of the movie i didn't like. could be better. However the sufficiency is deserved. Expand
ZilcellNov 4, 2012
Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
VeryDarkJediNov 3, 2012
The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script butThe special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn Expand
Javike7Oct 30, 2012
It's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story wasIt's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story was cool as well as the special effects. I wish they would have been a little more innovating in the horror scenes... Expand
hiphop101Oct 27, 2012
There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too theThere are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster! Expand
Moza_mOct 27, 2012
What an absolutely horrendous movie! Do NOT watch this. I am dumber after seeing it for the first time. I wish I had those hours of my life back. I may never watch another movie again now that I am so disenchanted with hollywood and the barfWhat an absolutely horrendous movie! Do NOT watch this. I am dumber after seeing it for the first time. I wish I had those hours of my life back. I may never watch another movie again now that I am so disenchanted with hollywood and the barf that they produce. I am not trying to be funny... I am dead serious... this movie is the most horrible thing I have ever seen in my life. Expand
GuitboxgeekOct 26, 2012
This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the bestThis movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
RedAFXOct 26, 2012
Michael Fassbender gives a great performance as the ship android amidst all of the confusion this film evokes, avid Alien fans will be disenchanted by franchise incontinuity and the lack of H.R. Giger design work.
jvidnerOct 26, 2012
I've never been this mind-trolled ever. I started thinking of my origin, the origin of the human race and I just wanted it to be a true story. Fassbender delivers (in my opinion) an award winning performance as David, a cyborg/android being.
phillyjeffOct 24, 2012
This movie wanted to be Alien so bad, but it fell flat on its face. I thought this movie was going to be good, judging by the first hour or so. Unfortunately the last hour went way off the deep end.
DanOSullivanOct 24, 2012
Prometheus is a bit wobbly and rushed at times (mainly the end) but the acting, direction and effects make up for it. The script is also a bit dodgy at times, as it's very un-technical for a sc-fi epic film.
NecrotaurOct 22, 2012
Prometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruousPrometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruous characterization, storyline, and inept characters. Oops, there I go again. Expand
JonDocOct 19, 2012
On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2. This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked.
IOMDutchOct 18, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dumbing down of science fiction films is prevalent throughout the entire genre. With Prometheus I was hoping to find salvation. What I did find however was shockingly poor.

A character list that I couldn't care less about launch themselves headfirst into a half baked search for the creators of humanity. Supposedly intelligent crew members of the Prometheus take every opportunity to stick fingers in alien goop and open doors to suspected infected shipmates without a second thought.

Questions that I am not really sure I had are now bugging me as the film does more to promote itself a sequel than pay dues to the Alien franchise that it basis itself on.

Praise is due for the geek squad who, like the 'photos of the fairies' believers at the turn of the century, go to great lengths to cover the tracks of Mr Scott and attempt to second guess the conveluted script and explain away some of the more gaping holes.

The only saving grace I can think of may well lie with the obvious sequel. If this second film delivers something truly original and sews together the Prometheus/Alien/Space Jockey stories so incredibly well as to produce something of an epiphany, then, and only then will these words be eaten. I think that I may well go hungry.
WarriorFightOct 16, 2012
Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why wereFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
KimomarudotcomOct 15, 2012
Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substanceLots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
beputtyOct 13, 2012
A great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only becauseA great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only because it has awesome special effects. It has good acting and all the recipes for a great movie except for one thing it makes no sense and is complete dribble of information that makes you connect the dots from the alien trilogy. However if you don't know its part of the alien franchise then its a ridiculously bad. After about an hour I finally said ah ha its an alien prequel. But until then it was slow with predictable tension that led to predictable outcomes.The key is By Itself its a waste of time. If you combine it with the other alien movies then it has some redeeming qualities and you could rate it significantly higher but only if you have a crush on the Alien. Expand
AbeSolumOct 13, 2012
Solid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for aSolid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for a good sci-fi movie, this is the best I've seen in a while. Really enjoyed the slower pacing, let me take it all in. Worth your time definitely, but do not expect action. Expect to be impressed and repulsed sometimes at the same time. I don't care about Aliens though i respect them as what they are. This was a great prologue, I hope there is a second movie. Expand
markOct 13, 2012
A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
ScreenShadeOct 13, 2012
The plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. ItThe plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. It is just good. Expand
DonMikeOct 12, 2012
The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. AfterThe plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about. Expand
ElChincheOct 12, 2012
Just seen the film.
Just seen the film.
I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.
RPDOct 10, 2012
I just watched this one and liked it quite a bit. I'm guessing, from what I have read, that not being a fan of the Alien films might have something to do with it...
ArkonBladeOct 9, 2012
I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right.I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the end Prometheus has major plot and character issues. it just doesn't develope any of them very well. The pacing also feels very sluggish and i am not even sure what this movie in the end is trying to pull off. Its also a major let down that the Aliens don't make a showing in this film atleast not till the very last sceane . If it had more of them with some more suspense , horror , and alittle action could have improved this alot. In the trailers it tried to make it feel like its a suspense horror flick but really thoose elements feel so small in this film . The special effects are great and the acting is ok and 2 of the creatures do look kind of cool but thats about the high light of the film . Its been going on 30 years since we had a Great Aliens Film and it looks like we will just have to wait longer. Expand
JDFreeman001Oct 9, 2012
Awful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wantedAwful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wanted to do a film that had nothing to do with Alien, but the only way he could get the funding was to convince the studios that he was making a prequel. Would of been far far better if it was a pure sci-fi re-imagining of "At the mountains of madness", alas it was just a colosal waste. Expand
siedemOct 7, 2012
With no doubt an amazing piece of sci-fi. Could have been more sci and horror but having on mind that movies got to pay back for itself and cannot focus only on entertaining a small specific group of people I don't mind at all. GreatWith no doubt an amazing piece of sci-fi. Could have been more sci and horror but having on mind that movies got to pay back for itself and cannot focus only on entertaining a small specific group of people I don't mind at all. Great directing, acting and truly one of a kind Giger's macabre biomechanic arts and design. Father of the genre returns and shows how it needs to be done. Expand
Crazye2000Oct 6, 2012
Though so many question's are not answered, it's hard not to be absorbed into this science fiction mystery. Like 2001 Space Odyssey(1968) raised a lot questions and made the individual viewing the film ponder on answering them. PrometheusThough so many question's are not answered, it's hard not to be absorbed into this science fiction mystery. Like 2001 Space Odyssey(1968) raised a lot questions and made the individual viewing the film ponder on answering them. Prometheus in many way's relates to the criticism of the film, but decades later it's praised as the greatest Sci Fi film of all time. Prometheus may not be an instant classic like 2001 Space Odyssey, but it still ask's the right question's and give's the audience the power of deciding them. Expand
StrongHarmOct 5, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superb!! One of the few movies in the past decade I've reflected on for hours. The best .. well, and worst... part of it is that you can't help people understand how great it is without devulging spoilers. I work with a lot of genius level people who didn't like it because they didn't get it. They didn't get it because their ability to reflect on the complexity of a film has been ruined by the fact that 99% of the films released today are dumbed down for the lazy crackhead generation.
SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT ************************************
***********************************************************************
To appreciate the movie you must realize that the Alien in the beginning sacrificed itself by ingesting a biomechanical nano paste. The nano paste took its physiology to create a new spawned race with a DNA derived from it's own body.. and we find out later that IT WAS ON PRE-HUMAN EARTH! Now... even better was the fact that much of the movie concerns the planet that they find and their inability to understand what it's purpose is. They realize eventually that it's a military base armed with ships that contain biological weapons. These weapons begin with bio-tech nanos to gather information about a host, so that the weapon can be tailored as a super effecient killer of that species, or host organism (think face eating squid). They find that earth is due to be the target of a ship holding the bio-weapon.. why.. because we're a FAILED EXPERIMENT! Now.. even bettter than THAT is the fact that the humans accidentally interfere with the host information gathering process of the bioweapon and the target host ends up being the Alien of the superior race that created it. Thus the eventual 'Aliens' brand, acid for blood brand killing machine! Fn WOW! Now go read Taantric's review again.. typical self absorbed simpleton who focuses so much on trying to sound intelligent that he accomplishes the opposite. Find some time to read more dude....
MikefromAngusOct 5, 2012
so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cutso.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
IrishRoverOct 4, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus is a science fiction thrill ride that leaves you itching for more. Director Ridley Scott stylishly utilizes the latest in CGI and 3D technology to launch the viewer into an alien infested nightmare. The film is a prequel to the hugely popular science fiction series Expand
Attila79Oct 4, 2012
One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
uchihasilverOct 3, 2012
Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers wePrometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it .
movies4everOct 1, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 21) Why Peter Weyland had to be played by such a young actor (Guy Pearce)?
22) Why Peter Weyland wanted to risk so much to tag along with the Prometheus expedition instead of maybe putting himself in stasis back on Earth, if he wanted so much to find out about the outcome of this expedition? What immortality was he looking for on the unknown LV223? Who told him about some fountain of youth being located on that otherwise empty planet? This idea seemingly comes from nowhere. The Prometheus expedition was intended to learn about "the origins of life" - not the origins of eternal life! I guess that Peter Weyland became so senile that he could not tell the difference between such vastly different things. So, instead of finding some source of eternal life, he quickly got killed.
23) It appears that the poor old Engineers were not good at creating manageable Xenomorphs. Really, they made the Alien/Aliens scorpion-like Xenomorph and it got out of control and killed everyone. Then, on LV223 the Engineers went through the same trouble with a different snake/octopus-like Xenomorph. Yes, it got out of control and killed everyone. I guess that the Engineers should've stayed away from creating those biological weapons! I mean, one disastrous mistake like that is understandable, but the Space Jockey fellas just kept stepping on the same rake time and time again! If they created the human race (for no apparent reason), then why they decided to destroy they creation (again, for no apparent reason) using such an incredibly dangerous and uncontrollable method as the Xenomorphs? Why not use bombs, if destruction of humans became such a necessity? The origial Xenomorph might have been just an experiment that went wrong.
24) Agressiveness of the surviving Engineer and his lack of intelligence may explain why his buddies acted so strangely before, but not their ability to build such technologically advanced machines.
25) Why all three of the Prometheus pilots decided to go all kamikaze on the Space Jockey's ship is unclear to me, because one pilot should have been enough for the job. Whatever made them so sure that the remaining Engineer was heading towards Earth?
26) The rest of the movie still remains mixed up, such as how the removed Xenomorph embryo managed to go so large so fast while being isolated in the surgery room. Also, how did Shaw know that the grown up embryo would attack and be able to kill the last Engineer (he could be carrying a powerful weapon, although he apparently was too dumb even for that)? How the decapitated David was going to survive a lengthy interstellar trip on another Enginners' ship? Shaw obviously did not have skills or tools to put David back together. What made Shaw and David so certain that the second Engineers' ship was clear of any dangerous Xenomorph creatures that were usually all over the other alien ships?
And so on and so forth.
RossjudasOct 1, 2012
Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, newSimply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
beladrimSep 30, 2012
Prometheus delivers what it promised : A side-story set in the alien universe that sets the pieces for 2 sequels.

Some hate the movie because it leaves unanswered questions and because it's not the Alien prequel they expected. Let's be

Let's be honest, a lot of fan boys wanted to see this movie for two reason : See aliens and understand where they came from. Yet... Scott clearly said that this was not a prequel (it doesn't take place on LV 426 where the original alien events took place). So yes, this movie raises more question than answers. But hey, this IS the first the movie of a trilogy. And the the sequel called "paradise" is actually being filmed and estimated to be released for 2014.

So don't listen to those haters that wanted all the mistery solved on the first movie or the alien fan boys.

This movie is NOT alien. If you can take that of your head, you'll like it.

They are however a few incoherences in this movies. While the main characters are solid, the rest of crew is just awfull. None of them makes logical decision, which leads them to their doom. (spoilers) Fortunatly they are now all dead, so at least we won't have to deal with them in the second chapter.

Regardless of it's flaws, Prometheus is the FIRST chapter of an adventure that is so far very promissing. Don't judge the story untill you've actually scene the third and final film. If you take prometheus as a standalone movie, it sucks, but as a first movie of a trilogy it asctually does well.
imthenoobSep 30, 2012
It wasn't bad, Certainly better then what I originally expected, but it was rather disapointing. Scott should have just came out and said it was an alien prequel because that is pretty much what it was.
ObliviousZacSep 30, 2012
Prometheus does what you've seen many, many sci-fi movies do before... However, it does it all well. From the get go it is fairly easy to predict which characters are going to die and in which order, but whilst the initial set up feels a bitPrometheus does what you've seen many, many sci-fi movies do before... However, it does it all well. From the get go it is fairly easy to predict which characters are going to die and in which order, but whilst the initial set up feels a bit lacking in orginality, Prometheus delivers its gruesome deaths with a powerful punch. The vistas are stunning and Prometheus represents another huge leap in CGI landscapes. It's easiest to describe the quality of the effects as a grittier version of Avatar. The film leaves many questions unanswered in true Alien style which many audience members may be frustrated with, and a sequel happy ending feels a little bit forced. However, fans of Alien are sure to get a kick out of seeing technologies and locations they know and fear. Overall, Prometheus is an impressive film, yet falls short of the heights it was built up to reach. Expand
aridifSep 30, 2012
Decent movie but too much was left open for a sequel.movie though did answer one question. Would movie goers watch another alien sequel if it is well scripted? Yes! Overall this just falls short
RawrthasSep 30, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was pretty decent. The problem lies with the lack of grandeur and cosmic "epicness" of the alien world and with the Engineers. It didn't make sense that the restored Engineer, an advanced species far surpassing our intelligence, beat up the humans bare knuckle, much like an animal. I think it would have done the movie good if the Engineer was understanding, and maybe remorseful, and tried to give the humans answers. Meanwhile, the humans, along with the Engineer battle the Alien(s), and ultimately the Engineer becomes infected, the new alien kills off the remaining humans except for Shaw, who makes it out as the last alive and escapes. Expand