6.5

1. Dec 26, 2012
    "Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this film is that it stands on its own as a science fiction movie just as well as a prequel to "Alien" - it weaves a complex and intriguing plot tracing the evolution and ultimate birth of the iconic extraterrestrial, while also confronting questions about creation that, in the end, are still left not fully answered. And although it doesn't carry the haunting atmosphere of "Alien", scenes such as Shaw's grisly surgery lend it its own grand, dark identity. The special effects are just gorgeous, the acting is good, and there is nothing major that stands out worth criticism. Overall, a very solid sci-fi flick. Expand
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    Ridley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes or some unbelievable turn of events it more than makes up for it in the acting (Michael Fassbender as David could be the performance of his career to date) and momentum. It took a while to really get going but when it did, some gruesome graphics were thrusted into the face of the viewer making it impossible to look away. 'Alien' fans will enjoy this movie. 'Aliens' fans might not. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2012
    An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar. It's a bit of a rehash of Alien in way. Come on Ridley, define a genre again for us, create a world like John Carpenter did recently, like you did with Bladerunner. Give us real horror, real suspense like you did in the original Alien. Mind you I thought even that was a bit slow, Aliens was better. Sorry Ridley. I love you for Bladerunner, and Black Hawk down wasn't bad (haven't seen any others) but I know you can do better. You have another Alien film in you. Don't give up. But give us blood curdling horror and suspense. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2012
    I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So let me get this straight... In the future, two archaeologists discover a 35.000 years old cave painting, in Scotland. Painted by humans who seemed to worship giant aliens, members of superior space-faring race. Similar finds were made all over the world, of artifacts left behind by independent civilizations that shared no contact. Apparently those ancient aliens posed as Gods, were friendly, and yet, with such teachers and sponsors, all that those humans were able to leave behind were cave paintings made with charcoal and some stone tools. THIS ALONE makes archaeologists forget all about Lucy and other famous australopithecines and hominids. Screw Darwin. We were CREATED... umm...engineered. Because one archaeologist "chose to believe so." Jesus of Nazareth was an alien hybrid, she concludes, I guess. Insulting pseudo-religious anti-science diarrhea at it's best. But wait, it gets worse... On those ancient artifacts are included identical star maps that look like an invitation, she chose to believe. Invitation from whom, you might ask, invitation to go where? Well, invitation from our gods, umm... aliens I mean. To go where? WELL, TO GO VISIT AN ANCIENT ALIEN BIOWEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY, OF COURSE !!! So naturally, humans go and visit. Why would a super advanced race of Engineers invite their Children to visit a bioweapons storage facility, and not a Temple of Knowledge???

A trillionaire named Weyland pays for a space exploratory mission, THE Mission, Mission of all missions. So one would think that such a Mission would be populated by crown jewels of modern science, Cream of the Cream, the Super Intelligentsia, the very best that future Harvard, Oxford and Stanford will be able to offer the richest ,most powerful man on the planet Earth.

Right ? Wrong. Weyland handpicked a bunch of retards whose intellect operates on a level of a ten-year-old who learned science from comic books, and bad comic books at that !!! An archaeologist suddenly becomes an expert in genetics and biochemistry, while moron biologist gets lost with a sociopathic geologist in a 3D-mapped cave, while being able to communicate with captain. Alien genome is identical to human genome. Scientists remove their helmets twenty minutes after entering a compound on a foreign planet which they KNOW is populated with alien biology and potential pathogens. And when they encounter a foreign organism (after discovering a bunch of mutilated alien corpses !!!), a sinister looking cobra-like worm, the very first alien humans ever encountered, what do they do ? They start laughing and giggling like drunk high school kids, you know, those retarded football types, and they start petting that god-damned thing. 2000-years-old mummified corpses are twitching like they died five minutes ago and suddenly explode, spraying gallons of bodily fluids all over the lab. That's after those silly "scientists" poke the corpse with an electric needle !!! Yes, that's ancient mummies I'm talking about. A woman who just went through fully opened abdominal surgery is stitched like a cardboard and starts running around. Literally ! They find strange organic liquid stored in vases, on an industrial scale, in ancient alien temple - nobody bothers to properly analyze it. Have you ever seen a NASA news conference or mission room after they landed a new probe on Mars? Those scientists are hugging each other with tears in their eyes. Their voices are shaking. AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAND ON MARS PERSONALLY, THEY JUST SUCCESSFULLY LANDED A ROVER!!! Landing on an alien world is every geologist's wet dream, every geologist masturbates to the thought of that! And what does our Prometheus' geologist have to say when he wakes up from cryo-sleep? "Don't bother me with your friendship, I'm here to make money." It's like he just broke out of jail. And so on and on. The idiocy of these so called scientists is beyond belief and it just never stops. It just gets worse and worse with every additional scene. It is actually quite astonishing just how stupid this film is. Is Lindelof mentally retarded? Definitely. It's either that or he just did it on purpose, out of sheer perversion. Is Scott senile? Or just criminally under-educated egomaniacal quasi-intellectual masturbator ? You tell me... I'm perfectly able to enjoy "childish" sci-fi, like Transformers. That's because Michael Bay didn't set out to cheat me. He said Transformer movie is about a sexy couple, cool giant robots, ultra-spectacular action scenes and... that's it. That's what Michael Bay promised us and that's EXACTLY what he delivered. I respect Bay for his unpretentious honesty and I wasn't at all disappointed by his films, in fact - I enjoyed them very much ! But this Prometheus was sold to me as a quintessential A-Movie, a masterpiece of serious, intelligent Sci-Fi. It was supposed to be an intellectual Sci-Fi film. I feel raped.
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    Prometheus was better than I expected but not as good as I hoped. Bottom line, it was just an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. Certain scenes were pretty ridiculous and made the movie almost laughable. The acting was nothing special. This was one of those movies where the characters made annoyingly ridiculous decisions. It's tough to really review the movie without giving away too much but I will say this; For a movie that was essentially a prequel, they introduced too many questions without really answering anything. Sure, sometimes this is done in movies to make you think. That's not the impression I get with Prometheus. It honestly felt like there was just some seriously lazy writing. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it leaves more puzzles unanswered than it does solved, "Prometheus" remains in my opinion a visually mystifying film with an equally spellbinding story.
  8. Nov 24, 2012
    It could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. The director seemed to accomplish the atmosphere he intended to have.
  9. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    Let me start by saying the movie looks incredible but that is really all i had to say really good about it. It tries to explain the most important questions of mankind but comes up flat and the plot didn't have an imagination to it when it came to explaining the questions it tried to answer.
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    It is a real pity that a film as visually astonishing as Prometheus, with good cast and a visionary director on a story based on the very question mankind has always tried to answer (where do we come from?) to fall short due to lack of suspense, very poor script and the ridiculous looking 'humanity makers'.
  12. Nov 18, 2012
    Out of respect for Ridley Scott, I award this film a 5. If the film did not have high-end effects and production design, it would seem at amateurish as those B-movie black white serial sci-fi adventures that were re-shown on early TV during the 50's and which I then found too corny to watch. Where did they go wrong? And why the sop to the great Alien film series at the end of this film? A real disappointment. I usually trust Roger Ebert's reviews: why the "100" review from him? Expand
  13. Nov 16, 2012
    Even a movie about the far away future, a movie that by definition involves nothing but speculation, must retain some semblance of believability. This plot has so many illogical holes in it that you spend much of your time thinking about how ludicrous the scenes are. This is not a momentary lapse, this problem runs through the entire film. While the movie is watchable, is is so poorly written that you cannot escape into the fantasy. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
    The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
    2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
    3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
    4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
    5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
    6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
    And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
    Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  16. Nov 12, 2012
    I had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what the opening scene STONGLY SUGGESTS! His DNA turns black & withers away but he falls in the water & wah la....were accidentally created so when you hear...why are we hear or why did they create us common sense should tell you to laugh! The acting is superb...the visuals are impressive throught out but that's not enough to cover the SHEER IDIOCY of what follows next with no logic what so ever! Why is David seen eating food in the beginning & drinks the same green juice as the captain when they all first awake if he's a machine? Why does David care about his looks..he's a machine? Why did weyland fake his death? It serves no purpose since it wasn't explained why he did it! why is David so sensitive to insults? How do you come to the conclusion that cave drawings are an invitation from aliens....when humans drew the pictures? Why is it that when everyone is told...WE FOUND A NEW PLANET THAT MAY HOLD THE KEY TO OUR EXISTANCE....no one gets excited? How can you conclude that these aliens are what made us with absolutely no proof? I thought scientist's relied on facts? How is it that they have high tech equipment & a spaceship but have helmet cam's that cant record? Why show holograms of aliens running but not what's chasing them? What happened to all the aliens that killed our creators?did they leave & if so...how? How do you get lost when you have video & radio contact with the ship & crew...AND A 3D MAP YOU JUST MADE? If the head of an alien is so important(& it was) why electrify it without testing it to make sure you don't destroy it? Why didn't halloway stop them from destroying an important find? Why did David kill halloway? I thought he probably wanted data on what would happen when he introduced alien dna to the human body but they ignored giving a logical resaon for why he poisoned him! Why play with an alien snake? I thought these people were smart? Why did David turn off the cam so vickers couldnt see what he saw? Why didn't vickers ask David why he turned off the camera when he got back? Why are there holograms of aliens practically showing anyone who comes there how to fly there ship but no lab where the bio-engineered aliens were made? How can you use a flame thrower in an environment that has no air?if David was really a shady character wouldnt he have helped get the Alien out of Shaw & take it for himself like he took the alien capsule in the cave? Why is vickers in possession of a medical machine that's only for men?HOW DID SHAW USE THAT SAME MACHINE to get the alien out of her when it scanned her? I'm sure it noticed she was female but it still performed the operation? Why didn't anyone question why Shaw walked in the room all bloodied with a Hugh scar across her stomach? Why didn't she tell anyone about the alien trapped in the machine? How did fifield just pop up if he was looking at the screens the whole time? Why was fifield a murdering zombie? After fifield was run over where did the guy drive off to...he left the ship & never returned! After just pulling an alien out of her body & learning that weyland was still alive...why continue back to the cave instead of seeking medical attention?why was our creator sleep if they were planning to kill all humans? Why did he go berserk & kill everyone if they so intelligent? Why kill all humans anyway? The captain told vickers to go to HER ship & he will eject it in 40seconds(which he did) SO WHY DID SHE GO TO AN ESCAPE POD? why run from a ship falling in the EXACT path that your running? Yet not go left or right? Why travel to an alien homeworld to get answers when you see first hand they'd rather kill us then talk to us? WHY DID I WASTE TWO HOURS WATCHING THIS ILLOGICAL MESS TO SEE AN ALIEN POP OUT THE ENGINEERS CHEST(ITS WHY I SAW IT IN THE FIRST PLACE) ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE ENDING CREDITS? people like this crape but cant explain why...they just say it was good but don't know why lol well...I have a Hugh list supporting why this movie is a waste of brain cells....AVOID THIS IF YOU WANT ANY LOGICAL ACTIONS BY SCIENTISTS. BUT IF YOU LOVE NICE VISUALS WITH A GOOD IDEA RUINED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE POSING AS SCIENTIST'S WHO DOES THE MOST ILLOGICAL THINGS FITTING OF RETARD INBRED HILLBILLY PROMETHEUS IS FOR YOU....A RELIGIOUS SCIENTIST'S GOOD GOD THIS SCRIPT WAS BAD!! Expand
  17. Nov 11, 2012
    "Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact protocol and predictably suffered for it. BTW, did the opening sequence with the disintegrating suicide make sense to anyone ?! Expand
  18. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.

What's it all about?
    Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from
    their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
    Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
    The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
    I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.
  19. Nov 10, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to cover up the awful story.someone needs to shove Ridley Scotts face into Prometheus,with the result hopefully being no more piles of dog crap like this being made by him again.If this was made by an unknown director,i think the ratings would down in the 2's and 3's,where it should be. Expand
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    absolutely amazing and a must see film. effects are amazing and the set design is gorgeous! just remember that AVP (alien vs predator) is NONE canon.
  21. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  22. Nov 5, 2012
    Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale.
  23. Nov 5, 2012
    I'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end of the movie i didn't like. could be better. However the sufficiency is deserved.
  24. Nov 4, 2012
    Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
  25. Nov 3, 2012
    The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn
  26. Oct 30, 2012
    It's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story was cool as well as the special effects. I wish they would have been a little more innovating in the horror scenes...
  27. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  28. Oct 27, 2012
    What an absolutely horrendous movie! Do NOT watch this. I am dumber after seeing it for the first time. I wish I had those hours of my life back. I may never watch another movie again now that I am so disenchanted with hollywood and the barf that they produce. I am not trying to be funny... I am dead serious... this movie is the most horrible thing I have ever seen in my life.
  29. Oct 26, 2012
    This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2012
    Michael Fassbender gives a great performance as the ship android amidst all of the confusion this film evokes, avid Alien fans will be disenchanted by franchise incontinuity and the lack of H.R. Giger design work.
  31. Oct 26, 2012
    I've never been this mind-trolled ever. I started thinking of my origin, the origin of the human race and I just wanted it to be a true story. Fassbender delivers (in my opinion) an award winning performance as David, a cyborg/android being.
  32. Oct 24, 2012
    This movie wanted to be Alien so bad, but it fell flat on its face. I thought this movie was going to be good, judging by the first hour or so. Unfortunately the last hour went way off the deep end.
  33. Oct 24, 2012
    Prometheus is a bit wobbly and rushed at times (mainly the end) but the acting, direction and effects make up for it. The script is also a bit dodgy at times, as it's very un-technical for a sc-fi epic film.
  34. Oct 22, 2012
    Prometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruous characterization, storyline, and inept characters. Oops, there I go again.
  35. Oct 19, 2012
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
    A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2.
    This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked. Expand
  36. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dumbing down of science fiction films is prevalent throughout the entire genre. With Prometheus I was hoping to find salvation. What I did find however was shockingly poor.

A character list that I couldn't care less about launch themselves headfirst into a half baked search for the creators of humanity. Supposedly intelligent crew members of the Prometheus take every opportunity to stick fingers in alien goop and open doors to suspected infected shipmates without a second thought.

Questions that I am not really sure I had are now bugging me as the film does more to promote itself a sequel than pay dues to the Alien franchise that it basis itself on.

Praise is due for the geek squad who, like the 'photos of the fairies' believers at the turn of the century, go to great lengths to cover the tracks of Mr Scott and attempt to second guess the conveluted script and explain away some of the more gaping holes.

The only saving grace I can think of may well lie with the obvious sequel. If this second film delivers something truly original and sews together the Prometheus/Alien/Space Jockey stories so incredibly well as to produce something of an epiphany, then, and only then will these words be eaten. I think that I may well go hungry.
  37. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  38. Oct 15, 2012
    Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
  39. Oct 13, 2012
    A great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only because it has awesome special effects. It has good acting and all the recipes for a great movie except for one thing it makes no sense and is complete dribble of information that makes you connect the dots from the alien trilogy. However if you don't know its part of the alien franchise then its a ridiculously bad. After about an hour I finally said ah ha its an alien prequel. But until then it was slow with predictable tension that led to predictable outcomes.The key is By Itself its a waste of time. If you combine it with the other alien movies then it has some redeeming qualities and you could rate it significantly higher but only if you have a crush on the Alien. Expand
  40. Oct 13, 2012
    Solid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for a good sci-fi movie, this is the best I've seen in a while. Really enjoyed the slower pacing, let me take it all in. Worth your time definitely, but do not expect action. Expect to be impressed and repulsed sometimes at the same time. I don't care about Aliens though i respect them as what they are. This was a great prologue, I hope there is a second movie. Expand
  41. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  42. Oct 13, 2012
    The plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. It is just good.
  43. Oct 12, 2012
    The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about.
  44. Oct 12, 2012
    Just seen the film.
    I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.
  45. RPD
    Oct 10, 2012
    I just watched this one and liked it quite a bit. I'm guessing, from what I have read, that not being a fan of the Alien films might have something to do with it...
  46. Oct 9, 2012
    I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the end Prometheus has major plot and character issues. it just doesn't develope any of them very well. The pacing also feels very sluggish and i am not even sure what this movie in the end is trying to pull off. Its also a major let down that the Aliens don't make a showing in this film atleast not till the very last sceane . If it had more of them with some more suspense , horror , and alittle action could have improved this alot. In the trailers it tried to make it feel like its a suspense horror flick but really thoose elements feel so small in this film . The special effects are great and the acting is ok and 2 of the creatures do look kind of cool but thats about the high light of the film . Its been going on 30 years since we had a Great Aliens Film and it looks like we will just have to wait longer. Expand
  47. Oct 9, 2012
    Awful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wanted to do a film that had nothing to do with Alien, but the only way he could get the funding was to convince the studios that he was making a prequel. Would of been far far better if it was a pure sci-fi re-imagining of "At the mountains of madness", alas it was just a colosal waste. Expand
  48. Oct 7, 2012
    With no doubt an amazing piece of sci-fi. Could have been more sci and horror but having on mind that movies got to pay back for itself and cannot focus only on entertaining a small specific group of people I don't mind at all. Great directing, acting and truly one of a kind Giger's macabre biomechanic arts and design. Father of the genre returns and shows how it needs to be done.
  49. Oct 6, 2012
    Though so many question's are not answered, it's hard not to be absorbed into this science fiction mystery. Like 2001 Space Odyssey(1968) raised a lot questions and made the individual viewing the film ponder on answering them. Prometheus in many way's relates to the criticism of the film, but decades later it's praised as the greatest Sci Fi film of all time. Prometheus may not be an instant classic like 2001 Space Odyssey, but it still ask's the right question's and give's the audience the power of deciding them. Expand
  50. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superb!! One of the few movies in the past decade I've reflected on for hours. The best .. well, and worst... part of it is that you can't help people understand how great it is without devulging spoilers. I work with a lot of genius level people who didn't like it because they didn't get it. They didn't get it because their ability to reflect on the complexity of a film has been ruined by the fact that 99% of the films released today are dumbed down for the lazy crackhead generation.
    SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT ************************************
    ***********************************************************************
    To appreciate the movie you must realize that the Alien in the beginning sacrificed itself by ingesting a biomechanical nano paste. The nano paste took its physiology to create a new spawned race with a DNA derived from it's own body.. and we find out later that IT WAS ON PRE-HUMAN EARTH! Now... even better was the fact that much of the movie concerns the planet that they find and their inability to understand what it's purpose is. They realize eventually that it's a military base armed with ships that contain biological weapons. These weapons begin with bio-tech nanos to gather information about a host, so that the weapon can be tailored as a super effecient killer of that species, or host organism (think face eating squid). They find that earth is due to be the target of a ship holding the bio-weapon.. why.. because we're a FAILED EXPERIMENT! Now.. even bettter than THAT is the fact that the humans accidentally interfere with the host information gathering process of the bioweapon and the target host ends up being the Alien of the superior race that created it. Thus the eventual 'Aliens' brand, acid for blood brand killing machine! Fn WOW! Now go read Taantric's review again.. typical self absorbed simpleton who focuses so much on trying to sound intelligent that he accomplishes the opposite. Find some time to read more dude....
  51. Oct 5, 2012
    so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
  52. Oct 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus is a science fiction thrill ride that leaves you itching for more. Director Ridley Scott stylishly utilizes the latest in CGI and 3D technology to launch the viewer into an alien infested nightmare. The film is a prequel to the hugely popular science fiction series Expand
  53. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  54. Oct 3, 2012
    Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is
    average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it . Expand
  55. Oct 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 21) Why Peter Weyland had to be played by such a young actor (Guy Pearce)?
    22) Why Peter Weyland wanted to risk so much to tag along with the Prometheus expedition instead of maybe putting himself in stasis back on Earth, if he wanted so much to find out about the outcome of this expedition? What immortality was he looking for on the unknown LV223? Who told him about some fountain of youth being located on that otherwise empty planet? This idea seemingly comes from nowhere. The Prometheus expedition was intended to learn about "the origins of life" - not the origins of eternal life! I guess that Peter Weyland became so senile that he could not tell the difference between such vastly different things. So, instead of finding some source of eternal life, he quickly got killed.
    23) It appears that the poor old Engineers were not good at creating manageable Xenomorphs. Really, they made the Alien/Aliens scorpion-like Xenomorph and it got out of control and killed everyone. Then, on LV223 the Engineers went through the same trouble with a different snake/octopus-like Xenomorph. Yes, it got out of control and killed everyone. I guess that the Engineers should've stayed away from creating those biological weapons! I mean, one disastrous mistake like that is understandable, but the Space Jockey fellas just kept stepping on the same rake time and time again! If they created the human race (for no apparent reason), then why they decided to destroy they creation (again, for no apparent reason) using such an incredibly dangerous and uncontrollable method as the Xenomorphs? Why not use bombs, if destruction of humans became such a necessity? The origial Xenomorph might have been just an experiment that went wrong.
    24) Agressiveness of the surviving Engineer and his lack of intelligence may explain why his buddies acted so strangely before, but not their ability to build such technologically advanced machines.
    25) Why all three of the Prometheus pilots decided to go all kamikaze on the Space Jockey's ship is unclear to me, because one pilot should have been enough for the job. Whatever made them so sure that the remaining Engineer was heading towards Earth?
    26) The rest of the movie still remains mixed up, such as how the removed Xenomorph embryo managed to go so large so fast while being isolated in the surgery room. Also, how did Shaw know that the grown up embryo would attack and be able to kill the last Engineer (he could be carrying a powerful weapon, although he apparently was too dumb even for that)? How the decapitated David was going to survive a lengthy interstellar trip on another Enginners' ship? Shaw obviously did not have skills or tools to put David back together. What made Shaw and David so certain that the second Engineers' ship was clear of any dangerous Xenomorph creatures that were usually all over the other alien ships?
    And so on and so forth.
  56. Oct 1, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
  57. Sep 30, 2012
    Prometheus delivers what it promised : A side-story set in the alien universe that sets the pieces for 2 sequels.

Some hate the movie because it leaves unanswered questions and because it's not the Alien prequel they expected.

Let's be honest, a lot of fan boys wanted to see this movie for two reason : See aliens and understand where they came from. Yet... Scott clearly said that
    this was not a prequel (it doesn't take place on LV 426 where the original alien events took place). So yes, this movie raises more question than answers. But hey, this IS the first the movie of a trilogy. And the the sequel called "paradise" is actually being filmed and estimated to be released for 2014.

So don't listen to those haters that wanted all the mistery solved on the first movie or the alien fan boys.

This movie is NOT alien. If you can take that of your head, you'll like it.

They are however a few incoherences in this movies. While the main characters are solid, the rest of crew is just awfull. None of them makes logical decision, which leads them to their doom. (spoilers) Fortunatly they are now all dead, so at least we won't have to deal with them in the second chapter.

Regardless of it's flaws, Prometheus is the FIRST chapter of an adventure that is so far very promissing. Don't judge the story untill you've actually scene the third and final film. If you take prometheus as a standalone movie, it sucks, but as a first movie of a trilogy it asctually does well.
  58. Sep 30, 2012
    It wasn't bad, Certainly better then what I originally expected, but it was rather disapointing. Scott should have just came out and said it was an alien prequel because that is pretty much what it was.
  59. Sep 30, 2012
    Prometheus does what you've seen many, many sci-fi movies do before... However, it does it all well. From the get go it is fairly easy to predict which characters are going to die and in which order, but whilst the initial set up feels a bit lacking in orginality, Prometheus delivers its gruesome deaths with a powerful punch. The vistas are stunning and Prometheus represents another huge leap in CGI landscapes. It's easiest to describe the quality of the effects as a grittier version of Avatar. The film leaves many questions unanswered in true Alien style which many audience members may be frustrated with, and a sequel happy ending feels a little bit forced. However, fans of Alien are sure to get a kick out of seeing technologies and locations they know and fear. Overall, Prometheus is an impressive film, yet falls short of the heights it was built up to reach. Expand
  60. Sep 30, 2012
    Decent movie but too much was left open for a sequel.movie though did answer one question. Would movie goers watch another alien sequel if it is well scripted? Yes! Overall this just falls short
  61. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was pretty decent. The problem lies with the lack of grandeur and cosmic "epicness" of the alien world and with the Engineers. It didn't make sense that the restored Engineer, an advanced species far surpassing our intelligence, beat up the humans bare knuckle, much like an animal. I think it would have done the movie good if the Engineer was understanding, and maybe remorseful, and tried to give the humans answers. Meanwhile, the humans, along with the Engineer battle the Alien(s), and ultimately the Engineer becomes infected, the new alien kills off the remaining humans except for Shaw, who makes it out as the last alive and escapes. Expand
  62. Sep 29, 2012
    This was one of the most disappointing movies this year. The promises and the hype were enormous, but all we got is a cliched plot and characters.
    The movie, though ambitious, contained the narrative, which could be called one big giant monstrosity, most of the questions raised in the film were left for a sequel, abandoned or made no sense at all. The science team was really out of place,
    stupid and careless. There is a religious tone in this movie, but the problem is, that we never discuss about it, there's only "I choose in what I believe" which is a huge cop-out. There was really nothing smart about this movie. It sometimes seen that Riddley Scott never did his homework before writing the script.
    There were so many opportunities to make this movie intellectual, and every chance was abandoned. No serious debate about science vs. religion, no serious discussions about the origins of mankind or they creators, or the reason for invitation, everything these "scientist" assume are just wild speculations and plot hangs on it. The engineers motives seemed dumb too.
    The only redeeming quality was the visuals and the performance of the actor who played the android. That's it. There's nothing good about this movie on the narrative sense. Ambitious, but bad movie.
  63. Sep 24, 2012
    The whole movie was like the first chapter or an introduction to a bog si-fi book . So in a way the plot does sucks big time . There was no answer what so ever . all they did is made more and more question . And that's not a very good way to end a movie . Its like we have to wait 2/3 years to find out whether we like this movie or not .
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were
    the best of this year . Music was good though mixing wasn't perfect .
    Hope the sequel wont waste our time by creating more and more questions !
  64. Sep 23, 2012
    Not because they say that this movie is bad, I thought it was good as far as it goes. The bad thing about this movie is that they do not explain much of alien species emerging. However, the effects of the movie are very good.
  65. Sep 23, 2012
    Don't you even try to go watching it thinking you'll understand everything immediately: go watch Prometheus like if it was an old fashioned sci-fi film, where some questions are intentionally left unanswered in order to make the audience wonder and think about it.
    The day after I left the theatre embittered I looked for the explanation of some scenes on the Internet, which seemed to have
    a symbolical meaning: I found plenty of videos explaining the film metaphorically and symbolically.Thus, I thought Prometheus is a good film.
    The acting is not that awesome but David, the android played by Michael Fassbender, is astonishingly great.Visually speaking, Prometheus is magnificent: the visual FX (charmingly) surround the excellent framing work Ridley Scott did.
    For God' Sake: if you are watching it in a theatre, make sure you are watching the film in 3D.
    The Official SoundTrack gave me goosebumps: please note that the HD version of the original Alien's main theme made me giggle in Happiness.
    It is not a perfect film, though
  66. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not know, until I was in the theater and saw it unfold before me, that Prometheus is a prequel to Alien. Somehow that part of the marketing scheme didn't reach me. I thought, oh, that's strange. Ridley Scott is making another space movie that looks remarkably similar to Alien, and he's even using the same lettering. He must be desperate. Oops. My bad. It's a prequel. But it's also not. You see, Prometheus takes place in the same universe as Alien, before the events in Alien. It heavily references Alien, and its main plot is related to an alien race that is encountered in Alien, but not the chest-popping dude with the cool second jaw. That's where it strays from prequel status: Ridley Scott is attempting to develop an original story here, only very loosely related to Alien.

It is the story of human beginnings, one of the most enticing questions in the history of the world. It is not a true story, of course; don't be fooled by the really cool special effects. It is a story that, at the end of Prometheus, is not over. Scott has announced that he intended from the beginning for this to be a series, and not a standalone film. We do not yet know how many sequels there will be, but I am expecting at least one.

I liked it, more than I thought I would. I am usually a fan of Ridley Scott, as Gladiator and Alien are two of my favorite films, so I suppose I should not be surprised. If there is a sequel, will I see it? Yes, of course. There are some things about this movie that are really far-fetched, and other things that are definitely not possible with any sort of technology. So that's weird. But for the most part, the story drew me in and kept me interested. The acting held up, and the visuals were really cool. There isn't much to say for character development or hidden themes, though. It's just a story. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to stack up to Alien.

A lot of the reviewers on IMDb really hate this movie. I think they must have been expecting something as good as Alien, so they were pissed off at what they got. But it's not a bad movie, folks. I don't need to tell you that the haters are full of **** judging by the fact that most of them gave the movie a 1/10, which is unreal - I mean come on.

I'm a little disappointed by Charlize Theron in her role, which surprises me, but I'll blame it on her character. I don't feel that Meredith Vickers has a lot of depth, and her little twist is really obvious. I just think she's weird. Michael Fassbender, though... let's talk about him. This guy greatly impressed me in Inglourious Basterds, but his role was so minor that he didn't have a chance to really shine. Now he plays David, the android, in Prometheus, and it's nothing short of splendid. His sparkle is somehow very artificial, his body language just slightly inhuman. He provides the appearance of possessing superhuman intelligence, and the look in his eyes is one of incredible cunning, but also great curiosity, especially toward living things. This is certainly the most compelling depiction of an android yet, and much more impressive than [I won't spoil the surprise] in Alien or Lance Henriksen in Aliens (or, of course, Arnold in Terminator). In the defense of those Alien(s) guys, though, Fassbender's character is much more prominent in the story of Prometheus.

I also feel that Noomi Rapace does a great job in her lead role; she manages not to allow Fassbender to eclipse her, which is impressive. Her performance is very believable, even if some of her character's actions are far-fetched (more on that in the viewers-only section). The rest of the cast is primarily unknown, but they make a relatively good ensemble. I could do without the goofy guys that get lost, but I can't fault the actors for that; they do their job well. I will note that Idris Elba, who plays the ship's captain in this film, is better known to some of us as Stringer Bell from HBO's The Wire. For those of you who don't know, Stringer is one of the most enthralling characters I have ever seen in film or television, and Elba is absolutely amazing in that role. Since that time, I have seen him in a couple of minor roles, including this one, and I personally wish he had quit acting after The Wire. While his performances are nowhere near poor, I cannot help but think of him as Stringer Bell.

For a much more lengthy and in-depth review, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  67. Sep 21, 2012
    A group of scientists discover a map that leads them to the place where they believe that we are the creators, but this trip will take them to a distant world, where they must fight to survive and to find out why they were created. Prometheus is not the masterpiece that everyone expected, but it certainly is the best science fiction film of the year (at least for me). Meanwhile, I have to say that for many points of view looks just like Alien (due to certain situations and scenes that do not tell you not to spoil) and really great actors including the best that surprised me most was Michael Fassbender in the role the droid. There are also excellent special effects very well made and also the extraordinary scenery. Especially good atmosphere of the film that is full of suspense and mystery. A movie to watch. Expand
  68. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was fantastic. There is alot of thought provoking material within the film unfortunately it is often just glossed over and it could have been explained a little stronger. The character development is handicapped too but having seen alot of the deleted material that will be put
    in the soon to be released DVD/Blu Ray, its nice to see some of the characters explained a
    little better. It's a confusing film at times and offers more questions that answers and I think that frustrates some people. I found it absolutely intriguing. Visually the movie is stunning. A top notch film from a top notch film maker. Expand
  69. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  70. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  71. Sep 19, 2012
    "They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative criticism from fans and it just makes me laugh because I don't get what else they were expecting this film to be. So, it's a lot easier for me to say that this film proved to be much, much better than my expectations because I really wasn't expecting it to be good, or even great. Ridley Scott kept this film separate from previous Alien films and that is prodigious. He delivered it wonderfully and deliberately left so many questions unanswered to keep the viewers wondering and let their thoughts go beyond the imagination. The plot might seem a bit typical and predictable sometimes but it has been executed and incorporated in the direction in an amazing way that is really worth watching. Hats off to Scott's direction and Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts' writing. Production design is brilliant, and so is the cinematography. Visual effects are up to the par and seem really good and believable and somehow a bit genuine (especially those blue-ish blurry ones, they were really good). Outstanding performances by Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David and Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers. I liked Rapace's performance so much because of her little bit resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley and also because she continued to shine like she did as Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium series. Overall, it is a really great film, which gives you a wonderful experience. Expand
  72. Sep 19, 2012
    This film was a huge letdown. Story wise is an absolute mess. Full of uninspired, clueless, dumb characters following a concatenation of events that can hardly be called a "plot".
    You might be hoping for some cool action or thrill but you would be disappointed anyway. The only good thing about this movie is the spaceship CGI. Very cool design. That said you don't want to spend money on
    this train wreck Expand
  73. Sep 18, 2012
    It's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelation that evolution is false and we were created by some far away aliens, independent of the other species on this planet, might bother you, steer very clear of this movie. It's a mockery of science, filmmaking and religion all in one.

Thanks, metacritic, for littering my review with a bunch of backslashes. Time to move away from the PHP, fools.
  74. Sep 18, 2012
    Prometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron's character has a lot of dialogue but does almost nothing. David (the robot) is played terrifically by Michael Fassbender but suffers from a convoluted and confusing last few scenes where he goes from curious scientist to aloof murderer to possible savior all in the space of about 15 minutes. Shaw is presumably the protagonist although you wouldn't guess it or even want it. I watched the whole thing yesterday, went to bed content and woke up irritated. Basically, don't over think this one. Expand
  75. Sep 17, 2012
    An average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movie swamp monster. I guess I enjoyed it when Pretending it had nothing to do with the alien mythos at all but that's not really praise. Collapse
  76. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  77. Sep 14, 2012
    The movie with the most exhilarating trailer of the year didn't quite live up to expectations. Prometheus, like many good science fiction films, poses great philosophical questions concerning the origin of our existence (which deserves applause), but it unfortunately goes absolutely no where with it. Each scene set up ideas but there's no payoff. Some scenes set up new ideas and story threads out of sheer convenience, and there's still no payoff. This movie felt like one big set up, with an intended sequel in mind, which simply wasn't doing it for me. Director, Ridley Scott isn't necessarily the one we should blame here, but the Screenwriter deserves some smack, for writing a script with more plot holes and loose end than you could imagine. Despite these flaws the movie was ripe with entertainment; and good performances abound, the best of which came from Michael Fassbender as our shady android, David and Idris Elba as the cool captain of the Prometheus. And while Scott Expand
  78. Sep 7, 2012
    I' am a huge sci-fi and Alien movie geek. So when I heard Ridley Scott was making a new sci-fi movie, you can guess my excitement. I never go into movies expecting it to be flawed or the next Godfather. It is a great futuristic thriller. A story of a group of scientist on a quest to meeting humanity's makers that goes terribly wrong. Noomi Rapace does a great job as the leading role which has a great resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's role. Micheal Fassbender is just perfect as the android we all know. Charlize Theron gives a great performance as the heartless illusive antagonist of the movie. These three lead characters give the only worth while performances. The rest, I could care less about because obviously they where put as "extras" to be killed with no character development at all. The story seemed very interesting which is the key objective for me. The story has plot holes but so did 1979's Alien and those were eventually explain. Overall I enjoyed watching this film, Definitely worth seeing. Expand
  79. Sep 5, 2012
    An incredible complement of the Alien's saga, which explains all the mysteries that the Alien universe lend us. A film that don't use a lot of digital effects but amazing sets, with an incredible performance of Michael Fassbender that musts win the Oscar this year. This film mixes the elegance and the science fiction in a perfect combination, showing again that this genre is capable to make true masterpieces. Expand
  80. Sep 5, 2012
    Fantastic film and a great return to science fiction from Ridley Scott however the film brings with it several flaws which is disappointing as the film has so much going for it from the performances to the stunning visuals one thing is for sure though is that the first hour is amazing and sets the tone perfectly.
  81. Sep 3, 2012
    Prometheus is not perfect. There are too many characters with too little dialogue and it's far too short. Ridley Scott should know that a film of this scale needs a bit more down time in which to breathe properly (directors cut, please!). That said, Prometheus presents a visually stunning sci-fi feast which offers more questions than answers. That's exactly the way sci-fi should be; mysterious and intriguing. It's a film that begs to be re-watched and debated about. As a movie in the Alien franchise, it doesn't make it into the same league as Alien or Aliens but it is far, far superior to any of the others. Expand
  82. Aug 30, 2012
    Would be an awesome movie... if the characters weren't completely unlikeable and idiotic. I mean, if humanity finds a hint of the origins of life on an extraterrestrial planet, they would send a team of highly trained astronauts, not a ex-convict in it for money, or a lazy captain.
  83. Aug 28, 2012
    This is one of the best science fiction movies I have ever seen! Visually stunning, mysterious, haunting and with an ambitious story, and all elements blend together perfectly. The greatest part however is that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of space for the audience to fill with their own fantasy instead of breastfeeding them. What a perfect movie!
  84. Aug 26, 2012
    A grand and brilliant spin-off to ALIEN, PROMETHEUS provides great performances and impressive visuals, it is also a must see for fans of the ALIEN series. I loved this movie.
  85. Aug 22, 2012
    Total rubbish basically. Mysterious things in a story are supposed to be compelling, but Prometheus has nothing to draw you in. Nothing to keep you on the edge of your seat. Zero atmosphere. Weird stuff happening for no reason is not good story telling. The space jesus angle, as some say the symbolism alludes to, is too preposterous to even consider taking seriously. Prometheus is by far the most disappointing film I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Expand
  86. Aug 21, 2012
    Ridley loses Mojo

Never thought I would say it about Scott, but once you take the special effects away what you are left with is a really, really poor "B" movie. Poor in imagination, poor in dialog, poor in science and poor in execution.

The gaping holes in the plot cannot be filled by even the best Blarney you may hear from the likes of Lindenhof. Fassbender, an actor who I have a
    tremendous amount of respect for and is probably the best actor of his generation, did a lot of Scott arse kissing in the marketing lead up to this movie... well, it is was all for naught, his head ends up in a bag in a scene reminiscent of a really bad school play.

Great talent is lost through complacency. Let's hope Scott can find his Mojo and stop believing his own hype... starting with a better script would be an idea.
  87. Aug 20, 2012
    This is the best film I have seen this year. It is a big heavy picture. The ship, planet and aliens have weight and texture. You can feel their footsteps and feel their sweat and pain. Noomi Rapace is fantastic as are all the supporting characters. Certainly, all questions are not answered at the end, but that's okay. If I see a better picture this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.
  88. Aug 19, 2012
    From the beginning of this movie where clues of an ancient civilization were found, to the ending where the prometheus space ship crashes into the other alien space ship, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. This is a movie you wouldn't want to miss.
  89. KJJ
    Aug 15, 2012
    It's unbelievable that Ridley Scott would actually take credit for directing this turkey. I was expecting at least something to challenge my mind. Not at all - dumb stereotype dialogue and characters, and plot that was telegraphed a mile away. The screenplay, other than the initial interesting idea, is a total ripoff / replay of everything from the original "Alien." Also (spoiler alert!), another evil unpredictable robot, wasted acting by Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce, pointless violence, and a mindless any inexplicable ending. "Alien" will remain a classic. This will be forgotten within a year. I felt cheated out of my money and two hours. Expand
  90. Aug 14, 2012
    Talk about a letdown. While Prometheus has some great visuals, they aren't enough to make up for the uninteresting story, boring and sometimes stupid characters, and lack of tension of any kind. There's one cringe inducing scene that I found pretty effective, but that was pretty much the highlight of this mediocre movie.
  91. Aug 12, 2012
    As an Alien quasi-prequel, the elements that make this a prequel does feel like it's hurting the movie. The visuals are amazing. Fassbender great as always. But like Damon Lindelof's other infamous show (Lost), this film has a lot of big mysterious that not a lot have been pulled out unsatisfyingly.
  92. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  93. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked this movie. There are some loop holes in the story but this is also Sci-fi and therefore they dont have to play by the rules. Thats the whole point. The characters are rough and kinda cheesily written in some parts. Lets face it though have you ever herd of an alien movie winning an oscar for best writing or acting. Its an entertaining Sci-fi ride with great visuals and some stuff to send chills down your spine. See it for what it is and you will enjoy this movie. Expand
  94. Aug 7, 2012
    Basically, the theatre experience of Prometheus is like a date with a stereotypically dumb 'hot blonde' . A visual treat, fun while it lasts, but not something you think about fondly. ...And yes, I am that shallow ... but sadly, so is this film.
  95. Aug 7, 2012
    Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
    Desde el poco respeto hacia la saga hasta los numerosos "bichos" hechos de un plástico blanco, que da toda la impresión que es de alguna sobra de una película de los 90, esta película solo hace que te desesperes. Que te retuerzas en tu asiento de agonía por un final
    que nunca llega.
    Grandes cantidades de incoherencias y nulidad de respuestas, aunque se anunciara como lo contrario.
    En fin, no merece la pena gastar tiempo y dinero por "esto".
    Reflexión: ¿Donde queda el alienigena fosilizado con un agujero en el pecho, desde donde se supone que salio un alien, de la película Alien de 1979?
  96. Aug 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply put. Director Ridley Scott does it again with Prometheus. just to say one thing, if you think this is a movie about aliens, It's NOT. This is a new chapter in the world of Alien, granted Ridley Scott does give us some suprises from Alien, this is not a derivitive of Alien. People have been complaining that this movie has alot of unanswered questions. The reason is that Ridley Scott wants you to use your imagination! This movie was beautiful, the acting was off the charts, David played by Michael Fassbender was incredible, the visuals were amazing, and the story was beautiful. It was a great movie. It was everything I had hoped for and more. Expand
  97. Aug 6, 2012
    First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story. I also liked the fact that the story is 1st here, characters are close 2nd. It is mandatory to mention than without Michael Fassbender`s and Charlize Theron`s exceptional performance, this movie would have ended a six out of ten. Also, for a fan of the Alien movies, this one is not in any way a pastiche nore does it interfere which the series. On the contrary - Prometheus answers some of the questions from the original Alien and mentions it in a subtle way. The story gives a pleasant feeling although one feels that answering few of the questions set over 30 years ago is the single and only purpose for this movie`s creation. I find the monsters well, silly. The action scenes are mediocre with the exception of the last one where the Prometheus takes off for the last time. Even though the suspense is probably the only thing of a thriller here, in my opinion it placed 3rd right after Aliens and Alien, because it is much better than Alien 3 and 4. It is memorable but not as nearly as the first two parts it prequels. Expand
  98. Aug 4, 2012
    The first hour is strong, there is a great sense of foreboding and mounting threat. However, the characters are poorly realised and fail to convince the viewer that they are worth investing any emotional engagement. After the relatively strong first hour, these flaws become more evident as the cast are bumped off, but that failure to care about them denies Prometheus the powerful ending it tries so hard to create. Disappointing, this could, and should, have been so much better. Expand
  99. Aug 1, 2012
    Don't understand to people who rate low this movie. This is simple amazing, you can't move from your sit while you are watching this movie, and when it ends you have the feeling or the needing of more...
  100. Aug 1, 2012
    Wonderful visuals with an extremely interesting premise ruined by a terrible script, awful characters and a severe lack of tension. Prometheus poses some interesting questions and much of what is presented is left open to interpretation which is always appreciated, but the overall presentation of these ideas is disappointingly weak and I left the cinema feeling rather let down by what I saw.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.