Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1951 Ratings
1,175
WATCH NOW
bfoore90Jan 25, 2017
Not a bad movie, its wonderfully shot with strong acting from its leads. But a strong cast can only carry a movie so far as the film stumbles from a lack of properly developed characters and some questionable choices when it comes to theNot a bad movie, its wonderfully shot with strong acting from its leads. But a strong cast can only carry a movie so far as the film stumbles from a lack of properly developed characters and some questionable choices when it comes to the plot. In a sense the movie felt more like an action movie than a science fiction-thriller that Alien was, from where it was strong in visuals and brilliant set pieces it lacked in scares and jumps to keep you engaged. There wasn't any a creepy aura with subtle but intense build up that Alien had in it.This isn't saying the film isn't by any means bad, it really was an enjoyable film but it just didn't quite reach the potential that I initially thought it could reach when it was first announced. Expand
sjwilkinSep 26, 2016
I really wanted to enjoy this, I really did. I am a huge fan of the 'Alien world', in particular I think Alien is fantastic and Aliens is one of (if not) my favourite movie of all time. Everything was set with Prometheus to be the best movieI really wanted to enjoy this, I really did. I am a huge fan of the 'Alien world', in particular I think Alien is fantastic and Aliens is one of (if not) my favourite movie of all time. Everything was set with Prometheus to be the best movie of the decade... Ridley was back, the budget was astronomical, the cast looked top notch and even the trailer was amazing. However this is probably why it went so terribly wrong... the expectation was too much. Way too much.
The movie plodded along as such a slow, boring pace with almost nothing actually happening. Visually it is spectacular but that is as far as I will go for compliments. The rest is quite poor to be blunt. Did not really answer any major questions but only asked more (another sequel anyone?). Added layers of complexity to the series and could change the way you look at the older movies now. Also, a very odd choice to get a Hollywood A-lister in his 40's to get in make up to play a man in his 80's. Such a disappointment.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
It's hard not to have a movie spoiled by The Internet these days, especially when films premier overseas before the domestic release, so I took many of the "this is not your father's Alien" and "first George Lucas and now Ridley Scott ruinedIt's hard not to have a movie spoiled by The Internet these days, especially when films premier overseas before the domestic release, so I took many of the "this is not your father's Alien" and "first George Lucas and now Ridley Scott ruined my childhood" fanboy e-ranting with a very large grain of salt. Before I viewed Prometheus, I imagined that the first sentence of my review would make reference to Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back, cautioning a young Skywalker not to take anything with him into the bowels of the tree strong with the power of the Dark Side. I did a very good job. Unlike Luke, I did not take my childhood preconceptions of Alien exomorphs into the theater with me.

Turns out, that was totally unnecessary. When you view this film, take your preconceptions in with you, it will not matter.

I remember thinking about the halfway point of Prometheus, "Wow, this is groundbreaking. This is the most interesting, memorable science fiction film since Blade Runner or Avatar." Then, the wheels, or in this case, the landing gear fell off.

Prometheus takes the viewer to two mysterious places and times, Earth's primordial past and a distant moon of a distant planet halfway across the galaxy 80 years in our future. True, this is not your father's Alien franchise, as the message in the bottle motif of the first film is cheerfully exposited for us via flashback, hologram and a trite walkthrough reminiscent of Jurassic Park. Still, director Ridley Scott's leisurely pace builds anticipation, allowing us to drink in the epic scenery while screenwriter Damon Lindelof throws in Lost-esque backstories for Elizabeth Shaw, an intrepid anthropologist and David, the obligatory android. LV226 is a surreal, austere place, but it leaves nothing to the imagination as Prometheus lands in broad daylight within two hundred yards of an alien ziggurat in all its CGI glory and, in Cowboy fashion, the crew saddles up without the slightest reservation to storm the haunted castle. Alas, the honeymoon is over with this film with hardly a kiss. Inside, we find exactly what we expect to find. After all, if you've seen the commercials you've seen the movie.

The problem with Prometheus is that when it crosses the threshold into the belly of the beast, we've been there before, only this time it's shinier and has new MacGuffins. All the titanic scale sets and CGI cannot save Prometheus' regurgitation of scenes from the previous films, overly omniscient explanation of key plot details and a total absence of authentic motivation for any single character in the film. Prometheus suffers from an abundance of irrationality - its only rational actor, the scientist Elizabeth Shaw, at one point performing a dissection of humanity's first evidence of sentient life from another planet with the reverence, caution, respect and carefulness of Grandma poking the Thanksgiving turkey with a meat thermometer. Prometheus is dumb at times, Star Trek reboot "red matter" dumb - inexcusably so for a film intended to be more contemplative and intelligent than its source material. Storytelling is known as artfully lying and rule number one of creating a believable lie is keep the lie simple. Prometheus opts to throw in the kitchen sink and a very visually compelling kitchen sink it is, extraterrestrial dishes and all.

Prometheus is mistitled though, it is actually Pandora's Box of pestilence, but 'Pandora' is a James Cameron property at present. Ultimately, Prometheus fails on its own merits, or lack thereof and is a reminder to filmmakers of the virtue of keeping things simple. Less is more. So much more.

I cannot recommend full price for this movie, nor is it worth the price to see it in IMAX, but a digital 3D matinee might not be a total waste of your money, mostly. (Yes, that was a veiled reference to Aliens. My apologies, Newt.)
HotelCentralJun 15, 2016
This film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how realThis film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portraying scientists. Also, the sinister folk in the film, rather than reveal their evil gradually, stand right up and twirl their metaphorical mustaches so there's no doubt that there are all manner of eviltry and devilish doings just waiting to be revealed.

The number of things that people are kept in the dark about goes beyond absurd. The exploration mission is stated to be a trillion dollar project so one might be tempted to assume that plans were laid and briefings held at least a year or two before anyone actually set foot inside a space ship. In fact, most of the crew have no idea what's going on till they land on an alien world and a ship's meeting is held to explain why they've been in "cryosleep" for two years. The rich guy who set everything in motion is secretly onboard the ship, and so is his daughter, and why any of that is a secret I have no idea, unless it's just to persuade the teenagers among us that the film is full of wheels within wheels.

Yes, there are alien creatures. Two of the so-called "scientists" meet their demise in a first encounter with the creatures. Rather than regard these unknown creatures with caution the "scientists" react as if the things are very cute, just darling, and would obviously make excellent pets.

Ultimately, the film is dumb. With expensive FX. Ho-hum.
CharlemagneMay 3, 2016
Mystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowlyMystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowly falls into place. Instead they show us parts as if it's an omniscient narrative but then leave out the information required to make sense of it all, to lead us on. The movie is like a bad girlfriend or boyfriend, holding back so you think there's more to them, but you eventually find out there isn't.

But I actually disliked it less than other people. It's a shame it couldn't just 'be itself' and tell its story. I think the people behind it wanted more 'greatness' than they could muster, so they tried to fake it.
CameraBounceGodOct 31, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wasn't annoying and sexual like stoker was ....was too short....don't want to wait for the sequel.....i'm curious as to how badly that blue thing follows and kills them as revenge....i thought everyone who died needed to die .....I'm glad about the whole movie....great foreign landscape...i even it bought it for 5 bucks... however the bad scene is ( every king has his reign).... I thought the face of the blue alien in the beginning was well done and cool...i hate the way they don't explain why it seemed to poison itself there though....Its too bad the way she kicked it in the head as she was trying to get away and that no one got revenge on her for that....thats kinda what she did to us all when she came out with those god forsaken dragon tattoos..making butt worship into a great story again and again.... ms vickers sucked at minimizing risk other than burning that terrible seeming Holloway...all the holloway scenes in the deleted scenes are so bad its crazy ....if only we got to learn a little bit more about how badass that blue guy is........at least there was no overly attractive woman like every other piece of anything from the Illuminati Expand
neilhodgkinsonOct 10, 2015
Hugely disappointing for me. And at times the movie was boring. Not in the same class as Gravity of Interstellar I am afraid. Charlize Theron was pleasing on the eye though!
FranzHcriticJun 21, 2015
I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There areI admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films. This is too alien even for 'Alien' fans. Expand
A_So_Horror_FanJun 5, 2015
One the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as farOne the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as far as bringing us face to face with the Architects and the beginning point for this whole reality that envelopes both the “Prometheus” story and the “Alien” saga. There was no forced scenes where the cast seemed to compete with one another as a lot of films with such star power tend to have. However for me the story seemed to force way more substance than it could contain with relativity to the universe and plot set forth in this film. It felt as if a lot of material was being crammed into the movie which didn’t allow for the actual story line and sequences to relax and satisfy the over all plot. The attention to subtle suspense somehow got overpowered by the sheer amount of story that had to be told in the film. “Prometheus” is a great story that I was glad to see on screen and that final money shot that gives us our first glimpse of those terrifying alien creatures we have grown to love and fear was truly monumental. However I felt overwhelmed by fast paced race to the finish line the movie pulled me into and wished the whole thing would have had a more casual steady built to the thrills. For what it was “Prometheus” did not completely disappoint but almost felt it was a bigger story than the film could handle. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
This movie is so disappointing.It's just a messy rip-off of Alien except with more budget.The acting was not that good and all the good scenes were shown in the trailer.For the rest, the movie is long and uninteresting.
DenisManuSep 6, 2014
Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
PvtJacksonJun 16, 2014
Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the firstHonestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
umOHumJan 15, 2014
This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'mThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
marcmyworksJan 11, 2014
This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot characterThis unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did). Expand
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, hadThis movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv. Expand
pauljohnsonSep 20, 2013
We are "scientists".

We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
klieberungSep 12, 2013
unexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is anunexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of the story with pros and cons. pros is that story can only improve and become more delineated, understandable and astonishing with the next episodes. cons is that you exit from the cinema with the unpleasant feeling of having seen a movie interrupted without know when (and if) there will be the next part and with a lot too much of question with no answer. Expand
KatharsisAug 24, 2013
special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are ablespecial effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
ReviewsForFolksAug 10, 2013
Prometheus has an interesting premise but ends up leaving way too many unanswered questions, which can be expected from a movie exploring how humans were created.

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is dumb, irritating and annoying. She has very few good ideas (like, hey theres an alien inside me, I should get it out), sounds stupid and always wears a weird expression in her face (more bad acting than bad character in this case) and is just so unappealing that I wished her to die somewhere in the beginning of the movie.
The ending seems like a sequel bait. Lame.
Soundtrack is not fitting to the movie.
CGI and special effects are great though.
There are a few good scares and some violent scenes too. None of them are emotional though.
If I would be asked to recommend this movie, I wouldnt.
dyshpoJul 29, 2013
epic cinematography beautiful but epically predictable no real scares so many unresolved plot holes .
you will find rooting for the aliens by the end
MetalFoXJul 16, 2013
Starting right off into the film Prometheus was definitely looking at being one hell of a movie, but right up until they land that ship on the alien world they also land the interest straight into a trash can. The only good thing I reallyStarting right off into the film Prometheus was definitely looking at being one hell of a movie, but right up until they land that ship on the alien world they also land the interest straight into a trash can. The only good thing I really took out of this movie were it's visual effects, which I have to say were pretty damn good, however that's all I feel this film offered me. The story was a little boring, not interesting at all, some of the acting in my personal opinion was a little dull, just the feel to the movie was basically a bit poop.

I'd say it's definitely something people should watch, but only as a rental. Then decide if you want to buy it or not.
BradySmithJul 4, 2013
Very disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fitVery disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overly disgusting. Performances and visuals don't really matter however if the material isn't good. Unfortunately the material isn't good. It feels like it's just going through the motions the whole time, and it does, as someone else's review has said, "ruin the mystery of Alien". It does this without any compelling reason either. Couple that with some pretty stupid and bland characters, as well as a surprisingly off putting atmosphere, and you have a film which is a huge letdown. Forgot about plot improbabilities but I'm not going to waste time. There are a few moments of grandeur but they can't save the movie. It could have been rapturous but ends up being one of the slightest big budget films I have ever seen. The original Alien was elegant in its pacing and flawlessly directed. It's atmosphere was masterfully gothic, creepy and awe inspiring at the same time. It was also intelligent and trimmed of anything that didn't work. Prometheus is flat in its atmosphere, lacking in tension, full of stupid scenes, and ultimately forgettable. If a sequel is made, and based on impressive box office earnings it probably will be, Scott better rediscover his touch, because it would sadden me to see him make another mediocre sci-fi film when he has, or had, such talent. Expand
dougparkerJun 27, 2013
Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
JmsbppJun 20, 2013
En ciertos tiempos la pelicula se torna aburrida, pero lo que la alcanza a salvar es el suspenso del trama de la pelicula que logra atrapar demasiado al televidente
Skullgirlsfan13May 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus may be a very interesting and eerie visual picture, but the praise of it creating questions of fascination is more dampening than it is a praise. I wasn't a very big fan of the Alien franchise, the first one wasn't really doing it for me, the second I love, but those are the only two I've seen besides this one. originally I was thinking of seeing this when it came out, along with the Dark knight rises and the Avengers. But I guess I just lost interest at the last minute. So I decided to catch it when it came out on DVD, and I watched it with friends. I can say that this movie is certainly a very visual dependent film, which is certainly okay, but it does require at least some humanity. By that I mean that it shouldn't be taken over by it's visuals, and unfortunately this film suffers from that same problem. It claims to have answered our questions as to why the Aliens exist; yet while it does give some sort of reason, it also makes the plot much more confusing and hard to follow. The opening doesn't make any sense, I could only think that it shows how humans populated the Earth, but how can anyone tell with such vague details. The ending is not so great either, we finally see an alien/Xenomorpth, but it just shows that they want to make another one after this and then tell us about the Aliens. I'll finish up by saying: This movie; while visually entertaining, is a melttled mess with confusing details, and an unclear story. Expand
alexandermagnumMay 21, 2013
Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
ClariseSamuelsApr 7, 2013
This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landedThis film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
oblique15Apr 6, 2013
I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers theI found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol Expand
EcclesiastesMar 20, 2013
If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
DukeJonFeb 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.