6.6

1. Jun 21, 2012
    As expected from a Ridley Scott epic, Prometheus is both visually dazzling and atmospherically haunting. However, a director undertakes massive risk upon attempting to combine epic science fiction with questions regarding the human condition. In the film, the crew on board the Prometheus attempt to contact the 'engineers', responsible for the creation of all human life on Earth, and inAs expected from a Ridley Scott epic, Prometheus is both visually dazzling and atmospherically haunting. However, a director undertakes massive risk upon attempting to combine epic science fiction with questions regarding the human condition. In the film, the crew on board the Prometheus attempt to contact the 'engineers', responsible for the creation of all human life on Earth, and in doing so, try to answer the ultimate metaphysical question - what is our place in the universe? In my opinion, it is in pursuing this point, that the film falls so disappointingly short. Unfortunately, the film lacks the compassion and the emotion captured in such genre classics as Bladerunner and Moon to successfully mount a response to this question. As a result, you are left high and dry when the film finally draws to a close, never really gaining any profound insight into the mind of our creators. The only real piece of genius comes in the shape of a brilliant acting display by Michael Fassbender, who plays the dry and clinical Android, David. As a massive sci-fi fan, I was fairly disappointed by Prometheus. Despite his practically impeccable credentials, Scott has not quite delivered a sci-fi tale to rival his previous work, it certainly does not rank among the genre classics. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    The problem with Prometheus is that it isnt a horror movie, thriller, or an action flick. Its just a slow sci fi movie that asks a lot of questions and leaves them unanswered. You will walk out of Prometheus wondering what was going on, why things happened, and what was the meaning behind different events. I didnt walk out thinking I wasted my money, but I wasnt completely satisfied.
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    Hard to imagine it's by the same director as Alien, it's so far away in tone, pace and a lot of the acting*.
    Like a remake for the short-attention-span generation, or a George Lucas prequel, there's enough happening for 5 movies, all rammed into 2 hours and with the odd 'big concept' thrown in there, with no time to make anything to seem believable.It seems borderline insane instead.
    Certainly entertaining though, can't say it's boring - I needed a few moment's silence after the end. Looks amazing in places too. However I don't think I'd want to see it again in a hurry and it.certainly won't be seen as a classic in 30 years.
    *There's some very dodgy supporting character acting, - the Scottish woman was particularly cringe-worthy.
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus was a major let down especially considering that it was directed by Ridley Scott. The casting , acting and special effects are decent but the story is lacklustre and never seems to get going. Prometheus not only lack tension that made the original Alien movie so good but also ruins the mystery surrounding the space Jockey race. Somethings are best left unmade
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Scott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch ofScott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch of meaningless subplots and, by extension, massive plot holes when in truth, Prometheus is little more than a survival-horror flick. Prometheus' sequels, Alien and Aliens, played out like typical horror films, which is why they are loved by so many. Prometheus, however, tried to advance the series and make it deeper, but ended up only blurring the series' identity.

Nonetheless, the action does get intense and the special effects are amazing. The entire set is incredibly detailed and realistic as well. So I encourage you to see it just for the thrill of watching aliens kill people. But don't expect anything more than that.
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into movie only having the trailer once and seen/ read no reviews to not spoil it. I had hopes this would be a movie that would rival the Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers Assemble quality and as best summer film.
    I was wrong. The plot is well average in everyway, the characters apart from one exception are generic and the action feels limited.
    The plot - very generic and

The plot - very generic and follows a storyline you've seen before
    Characters but David ( Fassbender) - All generic , 2D dimensional with little backstory or development, so you dont really care what happens to them.
    But I will address the positives, the CGI is absolutely amazing and I give credit to Ridley Scott for this, its trully beautiful. Then there's David, one of the best characters I've ever seen, you constantly question his motives and actions and his performance is truly stand out.

To conclude I would say you should see the movie but only at a reasonable price , and if you wait for it appear on TV or DVD , your not missing much
  7. Jun 17, 2012
    Prometheus could have been a good movie, but its bad acting and mediocre writing keep it from being a classic. It is, however, very pretty, and some may be able to excuse its faults for this reason, but I just couldn't get into it. Entirely predictable and packed full of flat characters - Boring. 4/10.
  8. May 21, 2013
    Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment! Shallow characters, **** story, bad make-up, cheap thrills. 2 hours of boring foreplay for a 15 second climax at the end in the form of a proto-Alien emerging from its host. One thing's for sure: this movie won't ever be the cultural reference point that the original were. Utterly disappointing. Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    I feel that the main characters lacked development throughout the film, especially Noomi Rapace character apart from Michael Fassbender character. The plot was confusing and slow. Towards the end the action was better, however the build up throughout the film was disappointing leading to the end. See this film if you have seen Alien. If you haven't, stay away from this film.
  11. Jun 10, 2012
    Two days before this review was written, I watched Alien. Two days later, I saw it again, except this time it was in 3D, and not as good.
    Perhaps I should elaborate? The films (plural) are about the crew of a spaceship with a quasi-meaningful name and their discovery of an alien structure. They investigate at first and then attempt to flee after things slowly but surely hit the fan. All the while, their efforts are impeded by members of the crew with ulterior motives. I canâ
  12. Jun 11, 2012
    Being a fan of the Aliens movies (particularly the first two), I was very interested in this movie and made sure not to spoil myself before watching it, but it turned out to be a disappointment. Visually, though, it's impressive: the cinematography and the effects are amazing. I'll try and not give any spoilers.

The characters are just too shallow and the crew, generally, so

The characters are just too shallow and the crew, generally, so unrealistically incompetent as scientists and explorers from what you would expect for members of a scientific endeavour in journey to another star system, they just seem like a bunch of ordinary guys with little education put together on a bus, pardon, ship. Given the scientific, religious and philosophical implications of their mission (involving the origins of life), they respond with virtually no interest or criticism in an attitude best described as "just doing my job". The expedition itself has little planning, organization, leadership, discipline, procedure and protocol for extraterrestrial exploration, sometimes with a complete lack of common sense precaution, let alone a scientific method or approach that is to be expected, up to and including downright childish behaviour. However, the technology and gadgets available are amazing, which in turn allow some excellent visual effects... Throughout the movie, the findings and implications are rarely discussed or very poorly so, which is shocking, given what they encounter. Characters aren't really explored that much, and one can only assume their "general motivations", which seem shallow and bland. The performances of the actors aren't particularly noteworthy either, except for Fassbender, though it isn't exactly stellar. Additionally, there's the occasional scientific mistake or inconsistency here and there, which lead to very awkward plausibility. Also, the suspense/horror scenes don't have much tension to them, and the soundtrack was completely forgettable to me.

The philosophical questions the story poses are only very thinly hinted and left in the air in a not very particularly interesting fashion.

In short:
    If you've seen and like the Aliens, you will get something out that universe with this, but it can come with a lot of frustration depending on your patience. As a sci-fi movie, this is not a particularly intelligent one and the visual presentation is the only thing to stand out.
  13. Jun 13, 2012
    A decent score and promising start full of bleak beauty, conveying a good sense of the vulnerability of space travel, isolation, and the beauty of life. Up until the point the main body of actors are introduced, the film was going excellently. Two main things let this film down- the characters and the plot. That sounds pretty damning, like there isn't anything left to salvage it. Not so.A decent score and promising start full of bleak beauty, conveying a good sense of the vulnerability of space travel, isolation, and the beauty of life. Up until the point the main body of actors are introduced, the film was going excellently. Two main things let this film down- the characters and the plot. That sounds pretty damning, like there isn't anything left to salvage it. Not so. Good points were excellent visual appeal, reasonable tension, a believable level of future technology, and engaging questions about the origins of humanity. The characters. It is such a shame when a film is ruined because characters do not act believably. There may not be a faster way to ruin a film. The most obvious example of this is the sheer recklessness of the so-called scientists. They are just falling over themselves to stick their tongues into unknown goo. The list of these incidents honestly goes on and on. In fact, the number of incidents of people actually behaving believably are so few that they stand out like megaton blasts when they finally crop up. The motivation of many of the characters is very muddy, and is never clarified. Most of the characters are never explored at all, which somewhat diminishes the impact of their later noble sacrifice.

The plot. For the first half of the film, it was essentially the exact plot of Alien, although there is nothing wrong with that. It wrestled (not wholly unsuccessfully) with grand themes, but left most questions unanswered, and the few answers offered were very ambiguous. Everytime it felt like a revelation was about to be reached, the resulting pronouncements were always rather vague. A lot of possibilities were hinted at, but nothing really concrete was ever offered to any of the million questions posed. It felt too much like it was paving the way for a sequel, and not enough like a self-contained plot. In general a lack of answers and a lack of continuity. There was never really any impetus or momentum, just a series of barely related (and generally icky) events.

The alien beasties were reasonably grim and imaginative, although lacking the classic horror that made Alien so good - allowing the imagination to fill the gaps. Perhaps it's just the biologist in me, but the alien's life cycle made no sense whatsoever. It was as if the film studio had 5 wacky ideas of horrible alien creatures, but couldn't be bothered to bring them together cohesively, so just tossed them into the film willy-nilly (I'd bet decent money that this is exactly what happened).

The major themes of "Where did we come from?" and "Do we actually need to know where we came from?" and "What does this mean for religion?" cropped up repeatedly, and made for interesting intellectual fodder. There was definitely more than just a cursory nod to exploring these ideas, so well done there Mr Scott. As if it even needs to be said these days, but the special effects were seamless. Many parts of the film were visually very rich, and the score was very good. In fact, the set designs really were outstanding, an extremely lustrous visual world that satisfied very well on a superficial level.

All in all, not a terrible film. It had all the pieces necessary for a good film, yet it cemented them together disjointedly and inexpertly- like shattered diamond stuck back together with excrement. With another edit, and maybe 3 minutes additional footage here and there this could have been an excellent film. So nearly a classic 80s sci-horror, but not quite.
  14. Sep 19, 2012
    This film was a huge letdown. Story wise is an absolute mess. Full of uninspired, clueless, dumb characters following a concatenation of events that can hardly be called a "plot".
    You might be hoping for some cool action or thrill but you would be disappointed anyway. The only good thing about this movie is the spaceship CGI. Very cool design. That said you don't want to spend money on this train wreck
  15. Aug 7, 2012
    Basically, the theatre experience of Prometheus is like a date with a stereotypically dumb 'hot blonde' . A visual treat, fun while it lasts, but not something you think about fondly. ...And yes, I am that shallow ... but sadly, so is this film.
  16. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  18. Aug 10, 2013
    Prometheus has an interesting premise but ends up leaving way too many unanswered questions, which can be expected from a movie exploring how humans were created.

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is dumb, irritating and annoying. She has very few good ideas (like, hey theres an alien inside me, I should get it out), sounds stupid and always wears a weird expression in her face (more bad acting than bad character in this case) and is just so unappealing that I wished her to die somewhere in the beginning of the movie.
    The ending seems like a sequel bait. Lame.
    Soundtrack is not fitting to the movie.
    CGI and special effects are great though.
    There are a few good scares and some violent scenes too. None of them are emotional though.
    If I would be asked to recommend this movie, I wouldnt.
  19. Oct 22, 2012
    Prometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruous characterization, storyline, and inept characters. Oops, there I go again.
  20. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a big letdown. It doesn't even come close to meeting the huge amount of hype it gathered. There are some really good aspects to the movie like the seamless CGI and great music and camera work but the writing brings everything way down hard like an Anchor, and I expected more from the team.Big rant coming but some very valid points so bear with me.Also full spoilers.

The whole expedition is ruined from the get go because they admit it cost them a trillion dollars (Stupid summation of money) to go to that moon and it was all because 2 scientists had a hunch there was life there and because a superstitious guy with a crap load of money funded the trip. Seemed a bit drastic for a hunch don't ya think? Also they arrived at the planet and started explaining what the atmosphere was like and how the planet looked yet modern science shows that we don't go near other planets before knowing what they're made up of or look like. Wouldn't they have sent drones in to test out the place first and not just blindly travel there?

There were two other scientists with the team, a geologist and a biologist but those two guys felt like canon fodder of sorts. They were there to be killed and nothing more. One guy was a biologist yet he never showed any interest when they found other signs life had existed there. You'd think a person who studies lifeforms and organic matter would be incredibly interested in life on another planet, especially one that looked identical to humans almost but when a little snake thing popped up he called it beautiful.The geologist was on a planet that had lots of caverns and valleys silimar to earth's, yet he acted like a marine instead of a geologist and showed a great amount of hostility towards shaw for almost nothing.

The david character seemed cool at first but started to crack at the seams once he talked more. Especially one line that bugged me "Want? a concept i'm not familiar with. But doesn't everyonewanttheir parents dead?" totally contradicting the fact that everyone constantly says he has no emotions. And he suddenly understood everything about the aliens only through studying human history and languages for 2 years, seemed a bit stupid.

One last thing, why did the map they found point them to that moon of all places when that moon was just a base where the aliens were working on weapons of mass destruction and were on their way to Earth anyway to destroy all the humans. Why point them there and not to their homeworld?

The whole movie was full of cliches too like the captian going down with the ship etc. Shaw having 30 seconds of oxygen and then suddenly it lasts for 30 mins. I dunno, I'm being a bit picky I know but some of these are glaring holes in the whole narrative and it brought me out of the immersion and I was sitting there thinking "This is really stupid"
  21. Aug 24, 2013
    special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, thespecial effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    Had high expectations for this movie as I'm a huge Ridley Scott fan and after watching so many of his interviews where the legend seemed genuinely excited and gave fans many promises surrounding Prometheus. Well... I never in my right mind thought I'd be saying this but it was very disappointing, mostly because there was a lot of potential in that the cast was superb and could not haveHad high expectations for this movie as I'm a huge Ridley Scott fan and after watching so many of his interviews where the legend seemed genuinely excited and gave fans many promises surrounding Prometheus. Well... I never in my right mind thought I'd be saying this but it was very disappointing, mostly because there was a lot of potential in that the cast was superb and could not have done a better job with what they were given, as well as the cinematography but the script was extremely disappointing and I cannot believe that Scott gave the green light to such a horribly done script with so many novice mistakes, it really is sad to see before our eyes the fact that he has fallen so low. I will focus on the negatives without trying to spoil the movie for you. Basically, I am convinced that if the writing was on par with all the other elements of the film, it would have been everything we were expecting (I thought the 3D was also fairly poor which was very surprising giving Scott's technical prowess but that could have easily been overlooked). It really felt as if 30 or so minutes had been cut as the movie moved lightning fast with no character development (besides David who was the only character you actually care about). Things just happen throughout the movie with absolutely no explanation, only subtle implications that seem to only raise even more questions, and after critical scenes these events are dropped entirely and the characters seem to forget whatever even happened. Character motivations and actions are very questionable and they just don't sell it at all to the audience (it is hard not to spoil this for you but I have to be as general as possible) and then there are inexplicable plot holes throughout : terrifying and intense scenes occur involving death and horror and in the immediate scenes after it is as if nothing had even happened as there is no mention of what has just occurred and instead more things are quickly introduced. Charlize Theron as a character is actually quite useless and I have no idea why she was even in the movie?
    The ending is just extremely sloppy and makes absolutely no sense and it will only enrage you. I still think you should go watch it and see for yourself but do not have the high expectations you would normally have had for a new Scott film in the Alien franchise, which is unfortunate to say the least.
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    I m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it couldI m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it could have been written better in many ways... It could have been a great movie... Even Anderson's "Alien V.S. Predator" had a much more solid plot with less holes in the story. Special effects are great in 3D but that's it... Anyway, considering the fact that in past few years we did not have a pleasure to watch many decent SF movies, Prometheus is worth watching...and nothing more. Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with this film. I only go to the movies today for big spectacle 3D showings. Iâ
  25. Jun 26, 2012
    I wanted to like this movie, I really did. But somewhere along the way this movie just stopped trying to be a part of the "Alien" franchise and just started doing it's own thing. It just attempted to do too many things at once. The visuals are this movies main saving grace, it looks incredible. It's just too bad that the plot doesn't really make sense, the characters are dull andI wanted to like this movie, I really did. But somewhere along the way this movie just stopped trying to be a part of the "Alien" franchise and just started doing it's own thing. It just attempted to do too many things at once. The visuals are this movies main saving grace, it looks incredible. It's just too bad that the plot doesn't really make sense, the characters are dull and uninspired, and the aliens didn't fit in with the rest of the franchise. Expand
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    I can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accentI can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accent is jarring at times but only because I knew she was aiming for and severely missing an English accent. A throwaway line could have explained it. Which brings me to the script. It was fine, perfunctory if a little spotty dialogue wise. I can't blame the films problems on the script exactly because in a lot of ways the scriptwriter is only putting on paper what the filmmaker/producers instructed. However this doesn't excuse Damon Lindelof entirely as this film has his fingerprints all over it and seeing him trotted out with Ridley Scott for all the press junkets makes me suspect Sir Ridley was pressurised into using Lindelof by the studio and wanted him there to take half the blame. Not that Ridley escapes fault because in my eyes the main problem with this film is the story. It mirrors Damon Lindelof's previous project Lost in that it poses so many interesting questions then completely fails to resolve them. It's excellent first two acts lead to a staggeringly awful third act that lurches from one disaster to the next just like the crew. This film cries out for a satisfying conclusion which never arrives and pays lip service to the Alien franchise with unnecessary and out of place developments in the last ten minutes. The script obviously went through numerous drafts with story elements that featured heavily in earlier drafts being excised but their remnants still left in the film creating a series of incongruous plot points and details that both baffle and annoy. In summary 6/10 a schizophrenic mess that with a tighter script and story could have been the triumph we all expected. Expand
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Starting with the positives - the movie looks great and at points has a distinct feel to it, which is rare for movies these days.

However, overall the movie is simply too bloated. Scenes seem to be shoehorned in for no reason and at points it seems like the movie is supposed to be Indiana Jones in space, while 10 minutes later it's an action thriller, but then it's a deep philosophical movie about the origins of life. About the midpoint of the movie, they shoehorn in an action sequence that beyond being completely unnecessary actually disrupts the flow of the movie. It's also one of those movies where the two main characters are completely unlikable and you actually hope for their deaths. They'll talk about how they need to be safe and then not 30 seconds later they're putting everyone at risk for no other reason than to create suspense. There is simply too much "why would anyone do that?"

The male archeologist seems to be ripped straight from the cast of the Jersey Shore and his partner is unbearably dumb and those are the two people you're supposed to care about.

For example, there's a scene where the crew finds something and then they need to get back to the ship quickly because a storm is coming. The female archeologist says "We can't leave it behind!" when this was their first trip to the site. Just leave it behind and grab it tomorrow. That decision to take the object then leads to a five minute sequence (during which she continues to make stupid decisions) I didn't care about because it shouldn't have happened.

There's also a three minute scene where two characters are running away from a falling object (you know those scenes where if they run 10 feet left or right they'll be fine, but continue to run straight)... only to have one of the characters fall and gently roll out of the way, making you wonder why you needed to see them run for three minutes when they were a foot and a half from surviving.
  28. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those of us who have waited thirty years to see the prequel to Alien, it is either a love or hate relationship. Ridley Scott's Prometheus starts out on a roll, as in 2001 with the origins of mankind, but unravels in an ending that basically shows God as a huge, caucasian with bi-polar disorder. Visually, the movie is a triumph, showing how much better the original could have looked with the newer CGI technology. But, whereas the original film is what it is ( a monster on the loose thriller), Prometheus tries to balance the big universal questions, while adhering to Scott's original intention for Alien (the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in outer space). The viewer is awed by the visual spectacle, then shocked at the transition to all-out horror for the remaining hour.

I will admit though, that the acting is superb (especially from Michael Fassbender who replaces Ian Holm's Ash from the original). But, there are many plot holes, kind of like a celluloid swiss cheese. A new alien birth, that doesn't even get mentioned to the rest of the crew, and a race of alien overlords, who are mysteriously hostile toward their own creation. It is difficult nowadays to justify spending between ten and fifteen bucks for eye candy. Eye candy, like confectioners candy has the same type of substance, it fulfills at the moment, but fails to resonate in the long run like a meal of substance does. I am giving the movie two and a half stars simply for it's glorious visuals, but am truly disappointed with a story that begins with great potential, but eventually becomes lost in space.
  29. Jun 9, 2012
    Well, it wasnt horrible. but it really never explained the hole beginning of the aliens, they skipped how the alien was created and why they didnt use them on earth, and i thought it was suppose to be a prequel. well they failed at that too. the ending didnt have **** to do with alien

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.