6.5

1. Jun 12, 2012
    Ridley Scott's highly-anticipated sorta-prequel to "Alien" doesn't live up to expectations. A crew of intergalactic explorers lands on a mysterious planet, where they discover mysterious life forms (nothing original here). Rather than any real surprises or shocks, the plot unfolds in a pretty predictable mannerâ
  2. Nov 18, 2012
    Let me start by saying the movie looks incredible but that is really all i had to say really good about it. It tries to explain the most important questions of mankind but comes up flat and the plot didn't have an imagination to it when it came to explaining the questions it tried to answer.
  3. Sep 30, 2012
    It wasn't bad, Certainly better then what I originally expected, but it was rather disapointing. Scott should have just came out and said it was an alien prequel because that is pretty much what it was.
  4. Nov 5, 2012
    Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale.
  5. Jun 11, 2012
    As one of two most anticipated summer blockbusters of 2012 by most fervent cinema-goers, me included (the other is THE DARK KNIGHT RISE, doubtlessly), I watched it in the cinema, a plain 2D version, but in a nutshell, it is not satisfactory at all.

The film has wrought some doze-prompted moments, there are just too many routine procedures have to be dealt with (tediously) to tell a tale (with cliche-ridden dialogues and stereotyped roles) before any flare or more precisely, casualty to take action. Then quite ironically, the ill-fated first casualties are the geographer and the biologist (no career-based prejudice, I may watch too much of THE BIG BANG THEORY), whose raisons dâ
  6. Jun 21, 2015
    I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films.I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films. This is too alien even for 'Alien' fans. Expand
  7. May 17, 2015
    This movie is so disappointing.It's just a messy rip-off of Alien except with more budget.The acting was not that good and all the good scenes were shown in the trailer.For the rest, the movie is long and uninteresting.
  8. Jul 23, 2012
    If you just had one word to describe Prometheus, it would be inconsistent. Ridley Scott's return to the genre that made his name is far from the triumphant one we all hoped for. It's undeniably visually spectacular, and there are occasional glimmers of Scott's past glory, but for the most part it's an uninspired piece of filmmaking. Michael Fassbender is excellent as the android David, andIf you just had one word to describe Prometheus, it would be inconsistent. Ridley Scott's return to the genre that made his name is far from the triumphant one we all hoped for. It's undeniably visually spectacular, and there are occasional glimmers of Scott's past glory, but for the most part it's an uninspired piece of filmmaking. Michael Fassbender is excellent as the android David, and entertainingly channels Peter O'Toole in his performance, but his character's motivations are never really made clear. Noomi Rapace is decent as the film's primary protagonist, the God-fearing archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw, and thankfully doesn't try to imitate Ripley. The rest of the cast are unfortunately made up of under-performing A-listers (Theron, Elba, Pierce) and TV actors who were doubtlessly hired because they were cheap. You do get a few good sci-fi horror moments, though they pale in comparison to, and lack the expert use of tension in Alien, despite the fact that these scenes are essentially paying homage to Scott's original work. In the end, the most disappointing aspect of Prometheus is its story. After an excellent setup, it meanders and plods between set-pieces, and provokes more new questions about the origins of the Alien film franchise than it answers. Aside from Fassbender and Rapace, the odd moment of wonder and beauty (Prometheus' stunning initial descent onto the planet, David admiring the colossal glistening holographic star map that surrounds him) and a few knowing winks in reference to Scott's original sci-fi undertaking, Prometheus leaves a lot to be desired. The big ideas are there, but are not handled with enough insight, intelligence or creativity, which results in a diverting, but not particularly satisfying film. A sequel might be on the way, so let's hope that next time Ridley Scott endeavours to be braver, more original and more exciting in his creative vision. Expand
  9. Nov 29, 2012
    Prometheus was better than I expected but not as good as I hoped. Bottom line, it was just an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. Certain scenes were pretty ridiculous and made the movie almost laughable. The acting was nothing special. This was one of those movies where the characters made annoyingly ridiculous decisions. It's tough to really review the movie without giving away tooPrometheus was better than I expected but not as good as I hoped. Bottom line, it was just an ok movie, nothing more, nothing less. Certain scenes were pretty ridiculous and made the movie almost laughable. The acting was nothing special. This was one of those movies where the characters made annoyingly ridiculous decisions. It's tough to really review the movie without giving away too much but I will say this; For a movie that was essentially a prequel, they introduced too many questions without really answering anything. Sure, sometimes this is done in movies to make you think. That's not the impression I get with Prometheus. It honestly felt like there was just some seriously lazy writing. Expand
  10. Feb 7, 2013
    The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and ageThe best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    It is a real pity that a film as visually astonishing as Prometheus, with good cast and a visionary director on a story based on the very question mankind has always tried to answer (where do we come from?) to fall short due to lack of suspense, very poor script and the ridiculous looking 'humanity makers'.
  12. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  13. Apr 6, 2013
    I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol
  14. Jun 14, 2012
    Joining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. ThatJoining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. That being said this is a decent space claustrophobic flick that might entice you with its flair.

Space age looks gorgeous in this rendition. The choice of color is sharp in its futuristic holographic setting while the hostile terrain of extraterrestrial deity is grimly dark. Carefully placed shots give more details for titular spaceship, and it's good to see the setting infused seamlessly into the plot. There are clean visual ambiances in contrast to the harsh alien planet. Its visual effect is definitely great, although it lost bits of that raw look usually associated with Alien.

Acting is good throughout with Naomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a slightly over-religious protagonist who insists on finding a great deity somewhere out there. She is in no way a substitute for Ripley, and to her credit, I don't think she meant to be so. But she's not very likeable either with most of her time spent worrying about her faith. It's a bit odd choice to bring divinity so much, albeit highly possible and almost warranted in a movie about another being. Regardless, she put some work on making a strong protagonist, and she does looks like fem Shepard, I just don't think it's powerful enough for a lead character.

Michael Fassbender as David, a robot created by Wayland, played by Guy Pearce, is excellent throughout. You'll often look at him and ask whether he has emotion behind his smile. It's a very cold depiction of a character built just to serve his maker, he's an absolute enigma. Guy Pearce delivers quite convincing role as a dying old man, he moves very fittingly and talks just as a near death man wanting to find more to his life than waiting for death. His complex senior make-up and prosthetic limb add to that depth.

Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers, whose gaze can petrified men, is almost as robotic as David. Callous and calm, she only exhibits some of her emotions, especially the later parts. She's in a sort of antagonist, yet again after the evil queen, very imposingly stunning. The rest are memorable by their silly deaths or the same lines repeatedly over the course of the movie.

What lacking here is that gory depressed feel of impending doom, instead you'll see the characters walk into volatile situation without lack of self-preservation. It's baffling to see that a group of scientists who perfected space flight go into their merry way just to be slaughtered, at least they must have seen a space horror movie in a century later, even David has a collection of classic movies.

There are only a few gory moments spread too sparse in the length of this quite long movie. It spends too much time in the build up but doesn't deliver that well, it seems that they want to make these moments to be extraordinary but just aren't suspenseful enough. The script is themed highly on faith, sometimes the characters are needlessly confrontational and most of the plots aren't resolved, which arguably a set up for another sequel.

It drags a bit and seems to be a lengthy teaser for upcoming title, although a visually splendid and greatly cast one. 6/10
  15. Jul 4, 2013
    Very disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overlyVery disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overly disgusting. Performances and visuals don't really matter however if the material isn't good. Unfortunately the material isn't good. It feels like it's just going through the motions the whole time, and it does, as someone else's review has said, "ruin the mystery of Alien". It does this without any compelling reason either. Couple that with some pretty stupid and bland characters, as well as a surprisingly off putting atmosphere, and you have a film which is a huge letdown. Forgot about plot improbabilities but I'm not going to waste time. There are a few moments of grandeur but they can't save the movie. It could have been rapturous but ends up being one of the slightest big budget films I have ever seen. The original Alien was elegant in its pacing and flawlessly directed. It's atmosphere was masterfully gothic, creepy and awe inspiring at the same time. It was also intelligent and trimmed of anything that didn't work. Prometheus is flat in its atmosphere, lacking in tension, full of stupid scenes, and ultimately forgettable. If a sequel is made, and based on impressive box office earnings it probably will be, Scott better rediscover his touch, because it would sadden me to see him make another mediocre sci-fi film when he has, or had, such talent. Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    I must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideasI must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideas were not developed. They were laid out near the beginning almost never to be referred to again. Prometheus' main flaw lies in it's lack of explanation and loose ends. Many things went unexplained and in the grand scheme of things the viewer is left asking why and how. It is also important to take note of the performances in the film. Fassbender is incredible pretty much carnying the film on his back building the intrigue and suspense which is the thing it solely relies on. Noomi Repace is terrible in one of the leading roles and is a total miscast. All in all Prometheus is a mixed bag that won't forget to entertain. Collapse
  17. Sep 24, 2012
    The whole movie was like the first chapter or an introduction to a bog si-fi book . So in a way the plot does sucks big time . There was no answer what so ever . all they did is made more and more question . And that's not a very good way to end a movie . Its like we have to wait 2/3 years to find out whether we like this movie or not .
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were the best of this year . Music was good though mixing wasn't perfect .
    Hope the sequel wont waste our time by creating more and more questions !
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the endI am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the end Prometheus has major plot and character issues. it just doesn't develope any of them very well. The pacing also feels very sluggish and i am not even sure what this movie in the end is trying to pull off. Its also a major let down that the Aliens don't make a showing in this film atleast not till the very last sceane . If it had more of them with some more suspense , horror , and alittle action could have improved this alot. In the trailers it tried to make it feel like its a suspense horror flick but really thoose elements feel so small in this film . The special effects are great and the acting is ok and 2 of the creatures do look kind of cool but thats about the high light of the film . Its been going on 30 years since we had a Great Aliens Film and it looks like we will just have to wait longer. Expand
  19. Jul 21, 2012
    Prometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3DPrometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3D technology but it was more subtle. Expand
  20. Jun 11, 2012
    A friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply any logic or reason and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions that are not answered. The crew do things that are beyond belief for this missionA friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply any logic or reason and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions that are not answered. The crew do things that are beyond belief for this mission and I wonder why the writers thought that anyone watching this movie would find their actions believable. I hope that Ridley Scott will use his talents to make a much better film if he does a sequel. However, do we need another film with those alien creatures in them? That idea has lost its luster many years ago. Expand
  21. Jun 20, 2013
    En ciertos tiempos la pelicula se torna aburrida, pero lo que la alcanza a salvar es el suspenso del trama de la pelicula que logra atrapar demasiado al televidente
  22. Jun 13, 2012
    Has way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three superHas way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three super intense sci-fi scenes. So if that's your recipe for a great movie, than you will think Prometheus is great. Expand
  23. Apr 7, 2013
    This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth,This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
  24. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you'reA movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2012
    "Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact"Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact protocol and predictably suffered for it. BTW, did the opening sequence with the disintegrating suicide make sense to anyone ?! Expand
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    epic cinematography beautiful but epically predictable no real scares so many unresolved plot holes .
    you will find rooting for the aliens by the end
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    A friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affectedA friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affected Sunshine, Event Horizon, Mission To Mars and nearly every other SF film of the past two decades) wherein every character becomes an idiot twenty minutes into the film and does stupid things for absolutely no reason other than to propel the plot ... except there wasn't one. Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was leftPrometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was left unanswered. The fact that it's been nearly a full-day since I've seen the movie and I'm still discussing it is a good sign.

In short, Prometheus, despite being marred by bad writing, dumb characters, and poor pacing, is worth a watch.
  29. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
  30. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus may be a very interesting and eerie visual picture, but the praise of it creating questions of fascination is more dampening than it is a praise. I wasn't a very big fan of the Alien franchise, the first one wasn't really doing it for me, the second I love, but those are the only two I've seen besides this one. originally I was thinking of seeing this when it came out, along with the Dark knight rises and the Avengers. But I guess I just lost interest at the last minute. So I decided to catch it when it came out on DVD, and I watched it with friends. I can say that this movie is certainly a very visual dependent film, which is certainly okay, but it does require at least some humanity. By that I mean that it shouldn't be taken over by it's visuals, and unfortunately this film suffers from that same problem. It claims to have answered our questions as to why the Aliens exist; yet while it does give some sort of reason, it also makes the plot much more confusing and hard to follow. The opening doesn't make any sense, I could only think that it shows how humans populated the Earth, but how can anyone tell with such vague details. The ending is not so great either, we finally see an alien/Xenomorpth, but it just shows that they want to make another one after this and then tell us about the Aliens. I'll finish up by saying: This movie; while visually entertaining, is a melttled mess with confusing details, and an unclear story. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.