6.5

1. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  2. Apr 23, 2015
    In 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens wasIn 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens was the only sequel to build effectively upon the foundation laid by Scott. The lazy and disappointing Alien 3 and the lackluster Alien Resurrection degraded the brand - a brand that was utterly destroyed by the Alien vs. Predator abominations. So, when Scott expressed a desire to return to the Alien universe, it came as no surprise that he wanted to avoid doing another Alien movie, although the temptation not to fully sever the umbilical cord was too great. Prometheus is a prequel that works as a stand-alone but offers added benefits to those familiar with the Alien series. Is it a worthy addition to a franchise that has been unable to boast a genuinely satisfying entry in more than 25 years? That depends on what you're expecting.

Prometheus is not without problems but, for the most part, they are problems that result from overreaching rather than playing it safe. In a strange way, I was reminded of Tree of Life. Scott takes chances and some of his choices don't work, but the movie is never uninteresting. Prometheus is more cerebral than I expected, and that's a good thing. It weighs more heavily on familiar science fiction conceits than action, adventure, thriller, or horror elements. In fact, some of the "monster moments" seem almost to have been shoehorned to elevate the energy level and keep things from becoming too talky.

Prometheus has a little too much going on. It's a story of big ideas and, as is often the case with movies designed to be about something, the human characters are marginalized. Even the best developed of them is a little two-dimensional and many of the secondary characters are defined only by recognizable traits. It's difficult to argue that any of the individuals in Prometheus has what could be considered a satisfying character arc. One of the principals (think: tall, blond) in particular is cheated. The film also deals with the genesis of the alien, although that in some ways is a tangential element. Although Prometheus has a lot of hooks that lead to Alien, a direct sequel to this movie would likely go in another direction. The conclusion of Prometheus gets things to where they need to be at the start of the 1979 movie. If there's no Prometheus 2, it won't leave a gap in the Alien chronology.

If there's an obvious element missing from Prometheus, it's a strong identification with the humans, who are underdeveloped and underwritten. Most of what's interesting about the story has little to do with the protagonists. Prometheus is about solving mysteries - not only piecing together the specific series of events that lead to the "birth" of a lethal species, but also answering questions about the motivations of the "Engineers" who came to (what would eventually become known as) LV-426 and what their long range plans are. The conclusion is open-ended but doesn't feel incomplete.

Watching Prometheus in 3-D, I was strongly reminded of how different a native 3-D production is from a converted one. Scott is one of only a handful of filmmakers to film a major motion picture in 3-D and the visual quality is striking. Prometheus' 3-D creates a sense of depth and detail that even the best 3-D conversion cannot come close to replicating. What's more, because Scott compensates for the dimness of the glasses, the movie never descends into a murky mess. It's a crisp, clear experience entirely unlike about 90% of what's out there being touted as 3-D. Prometheus, like Avatar and Hugo, shows that, when used as a tool and not a money-grubbing gimmick, there is a place for 3-D in today's movies. Unfortunately, it takes directors like Cameron, Scorsese, and now Scott to find the "sweet spot." Although I have no doubt that Prometheus will work in 2-D, the 3-D is worth the extra money; it enhances, rather than degrades, the experience.

his is intentionally a very different movie from Alien; Scott consciously did not repeat himself, except perhaps in small doses. One could argue that Prometheus has more in common with Scott's other iconic science fiction endeavor, Blade Runner, than with Alien. Whatever its pedigree, however, one thing is clear: Prometheus is the antithesis of the "big, dumb summer movie." Its visuals and special effects can stand toe-to-toe with any of the season's spectacles, but are audiences ready for something with an intelligent, thought-provoking screenplay where the action is secondary? Prometheus is flawed, but stupidity cannot be numbered among its missteps.
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    "Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    I must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideasI must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideas were not developed. They were laid out near the beginning almost never to be referred to again. Prometheus' main flaw lies in it's lack of explanation and loose ends. Many things went unexplained and in the grand scheme of things the viewer is left asking why and how. It is also important to take note of the performances in the film. Fassbender is incredible pretty much carnying the film on his back building the intrigue and suspense which is the thing it solely relies on. Noomi Repace is terrible in one of the leading roles and is a total miscast. All in all Prometheus is a mixed bag that won't forget to entertain. Expand
  5. Jul 4, 2013
    Very disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overlyVery disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overly disgusting. Performances and visuals don't really matter however if the material isn't good. Unfortunately the material isn't good. It feels like it's just going through the motions the whole time, and it does, as someone else's review has said, "ruin the mystery of Alien". It does this without any compelling reason either. Couple that with some pretty stupid and bland characters, as well as a surprisingly off putting atmosphere, and you have a film which is a huge letdown. Forgot about plot improbabilities but I'm not going to waste time. There are a few moments of grandeur but they can't save the movie. It could have been rapturous but ends up being one of the slightest big budget films I have ever seen. The original Alien was elegant in its pacing and flawlessly directed. It's atmosphere was masterfully gothic, creepy and awe inspiring at the same time. It was also intelligent and trimmed of anything that didn't work. Prometheus is flat in its atmosphere, lacking in tension, full of stupid scenes, and ultimately forgettable. If a sequel is made, and based on impressive box office earnings it probably will be, Scott better rediscover his touch, because it would sadden me to see him make another mediocre sci-fi film when he has, or had, such talent. Expand
  6. Jun 12, 2012
    This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer.This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer. The visuals (cgi and all) were certainly beautiful, and the acting was spot on as well. The main flaws in this movie were the editing and it seemed a bit corny at times to me, and it didn't seem to answer any questions either, i left the movie slightly confused, but overall this movie was slightly over par, but not by much, and if you are a fan of the alien franchise its worth the admission, but if you haven't even seen the alien films, you will have no idea whats going on. 6.5/10 Expand
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    Joining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. ThatJoining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. That being said this is a decent space claustrophobic flick that might entice you with its flair.

Space age looks gorgeous in this rendition. The choice of color is sharp in its futuristic holographic setting while the hostile terrain of extraterrestrial deity is grimly dark. Carefully placed shots give more details for titular spaceship, and it's good to see the setting infused seamlessly into the plot. There are clean visual ambiances in contrast to the harsh alien planet. Its visual effect is definitely great, although it lost bits of that raw look usually associated with Alien.

Acting is good throughout with Naomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a slightly over-religious protagonist who insists on finding a great deity somewhere out there. She is in no way a substitute for Ripley, and to her credit, I don't think she meant to be so. But she's not very likeable either with most of her time spent worrying about her faith. It's a bit odd choice to bring divinity so much, albeit highly possible and almost warranted in a movie about another being. Regardless, she put some work on making a strong protagonist, and she does looks like fem Shepard, I just don't think it's powerful enough for a lead character.

Michael Fassbender as David, a robot created by Wayland, played by Guy Pearce, is excellent throughout. You'll often look at him and ask whether he has emotion behind his smile. It's a very cold depiction of a character built just to serve his maker, he's an absolute enigma. Guy Pearce delivers quite convincing role as a dying old man, he moves very fittingly and talks just as a near death man wanting to find more to his life than waiting for death. His complex senior make-up and prosthetic limb add to that depth.

Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers, whose gaze can petrified men, is almost as robotic as David. Callous and calm, she only exhibits some of her emotions, especially the later parts. She's in a sort of antagonist, yet again after the evil queen, very imposingly stunning. The rest are memorable by their silly deaths or the same lines repeatedly over the course of the movie.

What lacking here is that gory depressed feel of impending doom, instead you'll see the characters walk into volatile situation without lack of self-preservation. It's baffling to see that a group of scientists who perfected space flight go into their merry way just to be slaughtered, at least they must have seen a space horror movie in a century later, even David has a collection of classic movies.

There are only a few gory moments spread too sparse in the length of this quite long movie. It spends too much time in the build up but doesn't deliver that well, it seems that they want to make these moments to be extraordinary but just aren't suspenseful enough. The script is themed highly on faith, sometimes the characters are needlessly confrontational and most of the plots aren't resolved, which arguably a set up for another sequel.

It drags a bit and seems to be a lengthy teaser for upcoming title, although a visually splendid and greatly cast one. 6/10
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    I saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender'sI saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender's role as David because he's more like a arrogant and sometimes humble gentleman, but he's more of a robot-like clone from "I. Robot." But the height and sounds of the movie gives you enough adrenaline, your heart pumps, and your feet is shaking as you go into a terrifying and explorational feeling you might can expect from both James Cameron and Ridley Scott. I've heard Prometheus is gonna be out on Blu-Ray sometime in the fall of 2012, but I'll save my money. From now on, I have to see this again. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2013
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  11. Sep 24, 2012
    The whole movie was like the first chapter or an introduction to a bog si-fi book . So in a way the plot does sucks big time . There was no answer what so ever . all they did is made more and more question . And that's not a very good way to end a movie . Its like we have to wait 2/3 years to find out whether we like this movie or not .
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were the best of this year . Music was good though mixing wasn't perfect .
    Hope the sequel wont waste our time by creating more and more questions !
  12. Jan 29, 2015
    Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme.
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    Spectacular......we finally have a return to the glory of Sci-Fi! It poses many questions....it answers some but leaves many unanswered. It opens the window to the unknown and challenges it's audience to think. That's what makes it great. The performances are all strong, the effects are top-rate, the creatures were unique and horrifying, and the duration was just right. Ridley Scott'sSpectacular......we finally have a return to the glory of Sci-Fi! It poses many questions....it answers some but leaves many unanswered. It opens the window to the unknown and challenges it's audience to think. That's what makes it great. The performances are all strong, the effects are top-rate, the creatures were unique and horrifying, and the duration was just right. Ridley Scott's Prometheus is another ground breaker and will be remembered for a long time. Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.
    What's it all about? Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
    Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
    The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
    I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    Prometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But toPrometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But to me, Prometheus has Scott's biggest strengths and weaknesses as a film maker: visually stupendous at the expense of narrative. It's a Ridley Scott film for crying out loud, in a genre he practically reinvented 30 years ago. When the dust is clear, I think people will realise what a great film this is. Not in the same caliber as ALIEN, but one of his most energetic and mind boggling film he made since GLADIATOR. But a thrill ride that will make you think; it doesn't spoon fed you with answers. Things are left vague for audiences to make their own mind. Scott has also created another 'harrowing and gut wrenching' horror set piece that is up there as the best in the last 10 years (beside the chest bursting scene in ALIEN). So folks....buckle up and just enjoy the ride. Oh yeah, it also uses 3-D in a great way... Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the endI am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the end Prometheus has major plot and character issues. it just doesn't develope any of them very well. The pacing also feels very sluggish and i am not even sure what this movie in the end is trying to pull off. Its also a major let down that the Aliens don't make a showing in this film atleast not till the very last sceane . If it had more of them with some more suspense , horror , and alittle action could have improved this alot. In the trailers it tried to make it feel like its a suspense horror flick but really thoose elements feel so small in this film . The special effects are great and the acting is ok and 2 of the creatures do look kind of cool but thats about the high light of the film . Its been going on 30 years since we had a Great Aliens Film and it looks like we will just have to wait longer. Expand
  17. Jul 17, 2012
    Ultimately, Prometheus fails to reach the dizzying heights that I had expected (and I think that can go without saying) but it contains striking, seamless visuals and a trump card in the form of Michael Fassbender, which still deems it a good movie-going experience. The plot comes off very standard and predictable, which is the only thing I really was hoping to be stunned by. TheUltimately, Prometheus fails to reach the dizzying heights that I had expected (and I think that can go without saying) but it contains striking, seamless visuals and a trump card in the form of Michael Fassbender, which still deems it a good movie-going experience. The plot comes off very standard and predictable, which is the only thing I really was hoping to be stunned by. The characters, well, we don't really care, 'cept for David. But the film does stand as a part of the incredible Alien franchise and after having accepted the films' effect on the Alien universe, it is still a pretty good movie. There is a scene involving Noomi Rapace in a growth-removal surgery that is gut-wrenching, but there aren't all to many genuine horrifying moments throughout. Still recommendable, though. Expand
  18. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be giving this a 1 for a few good special effects, such as the probes they released in the cave, and the spacecraft, which looked cool. The rest: awful. Most of the scenes were stolen from other movies, such as the android playing basketball, hey, Sigourney already did that in Alien Resurrection. The story did not make any sense, none of the characters were the least likable, and how did these astronauts ever get the job ? They were all completely incompetent. In addition, the main female character is ugly, and she moans and screams the entire time, similar to the horrible performance of Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity', which really translates into the audience just wanting her to die. Expand
  19. Jul 27, 2013
    Prometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews it has gotten. Plain and simple it doesn't live up to the expectations of the audience but that does not outright make it a bad film.
  20. Sep 19, 2012
    "They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative"They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative criticism from fans and it just makes me laugh because I don't get what else they were expecting this film to be. So, it's a lot easier for me to say that this film proved to be much, much better than my expectations because I really wasn't expecting it to be good, or even great. Ridley Scott kept this film separate from previous Alien films and that is prodigious. He delivered it wonderfully and deliberately left so many questions unanswered to keep the viewers wondering and let their thoughts go beyond the imagination. The plot might seem a bit typical and predictable sometimes but it has been executed and incorporated in the direction in an amazing way that is really worth watching. Hats off to Scott's direction and Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts' writing. Production design is brilliant, and so is the cinematography. Visual effects are up to the par and seem really good and believable and somehow a bit genuine (especially those blue-ish blurry ones, they were really good). Outstanding performances by Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David and Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers. I liked Rapace's performance so much because of her little bit resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley and also because she continued to shine like she did as Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium series. Overall, it is a really great film, which gives you a wonderful experience. Expand
  21. Jul 21, 2012
    Prometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3DPrometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3D technology but it was more subtle. Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2012
    Raw, intriguing, everything I loved it all! was magnificent, thrilling, praise the assembly work, special effects and cinematography. I'm a fan of this movie Alien and revealed some doubts, but created more and I like that a movie leaves you wanting to nurse a sequel.
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, theBest sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
  24. Jun 11, 2012
    A friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply any logic or reason and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions that are not answered. The crew do things that are beyond belief for this missionA friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply any logic or reason and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions that are not answered. The crew do things that are beyond belief for this mission and I wonder why the writers thought that anyone watching this movie would find their actions believable. I hope that Ridley Scott will use his talents to make a much better film if he does a sequel. However, do we need another film with those alien creatures in them? That idea has lost its luster many years ago. Expand
  25. Oct 5, 2012
    so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movieso.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
  26. Jun 20, 2013
    En ciertos tiempos la pelicula se torna aburrida, pero lo que la alcanza a salvar es el suspenso del trama de la pelicula que logra atrapar demasiado al televidente
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    I loved it. You are left with no answers, but that is definitely the whole point. Visually the movie is a masterpiece from start to finish. Once the action and thrills start roughly 45 minutes into the movie, they never let up. Michael Fassbender as the devious, soulless 'David' was easily my favorite character in the movie. It's a thrill ride that does its job, to entertain. At the veryI loved it. You are left with no answers, but that is definitely the whole point. Visually the movie is a masterpiece from start to finish. Once the action and thrills start roughly 45 minutes into the movie, they never let up. Michael Fassbender as the devious, soulless 'David' was easily my favorite character in the movie. It's a thrill ride that does its job, to entertain. At the very end you see the connection between 'Prometheus' and 'Alien' and it is one of the most rewarding things I've seen on the silver screen in quite some time. I've read some rather mixed reviews but as years pass I fully believe this will be regarded as a classic. Expand
  28. Jun 13, 2012
    Has way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three superHas way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three super intense sci-fi scenes. So if that's your recipe for a great movie, than you will think Prometheus is great. Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
    The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
    2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
    3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
    4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
    5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
    6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
    And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
    Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.