6.5

1. Jun 8, 2012
    I went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after so many years of mystery (besides that's what makes Serenity so great). Whilst Noomi Rapace (lead female role) isn't as strong a character as Sigourney Weaver, this film still has beautiful touches of Ridley Scott that made Alien and Blade Runner so great. This won't go down as a classic in the same way those films did (primarily because of the cult status and high expectations), but it is a great prequel. I think those who are knocking it should go back and watch Alien and Blade Runner. Those similarly slow paced and atmospheric; something we really aren't used to in Sci-Fi films nowadays (but just another element of what made those films great). Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, what a disappointment. This movie was complete nonsense, the characters at best acted hysterically unprofessional, and at worst suicidal. They literally didn't seem to give 1 sh1t about their well being. Plot points were pulled out of the @sses of the writers with literally no supporting evidence. People act incongruently and in contrived-plot-serving ways that literally made zero sense, and practically no one acted with an ounce of caution. There was no tension, and the main characters were hardly even likable. 2 characters pretty much literally committed suicide. The movie starts off strong with excellent special effects, scenes and 3D, but halfway through the movie, I was utterly disgusted. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    It doesn't quite live up to the original Alien movie, but it holds its own and it's a far above average sci-fi movie. It starts out rather slow, but it all helps to build to a thrilling conclusion. Even though the ending leaves more questions open than it answers, it's still rather mind blowing and the whole thing is very inventive. The performances were good all around, particularly Michael Fassbender. The cast along with Ridley Scott's direction were superb at creating tension and instilling a feeling of dread within the viewer. But the best part of the film had to be the amazing visual effects and cinematography which, if nothing else, makes the film well worth the price of a ticket. Expand
  4. VTx
    Jun 8, 2012
    People always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien from "aliens movies" and is a new specie who knows.
    Maybe in the second movie the producers and writers will give us some answers when Shaw kill them, I bet s going to be more thriller.
  5. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is about first contact with aliens. It's usually something I enjoy. Especially when, like here, the exploration/action ratio isn't too low. The design was ok, there is the usual and boring overuse of holograms, but the spaceship and spacesuits are awesome. The crew social interactions were better than in most of movies. But despite the hopeful settings, there were quite a few things I didn't like. Mostly, the way in which the thematic ideas are treated and the philosophy bits are very poor. Overall the entertainment was at average level, I wouldn't like to read a book with a similar plot, but as a movie it was ok. The 3D looked more decent to me than it did in Avatar, although there still were some few times where looking at blurred parts of the screen was hardly avoidable.

There will be some spoilers from here, you may not want to keep reading.

The main plot theme throws science out by the window, as even one character points out in the beginning of the movie itself. Humans were created by extraterrestrials. It was actually naively guessed with no evidence whatsoever by the main character and surprisingly turned out to be correct. My understanding of this part of the plot is that although life did evolve on Earth with possible abiogenesis, humans did not evolve from there but were created and just put there. I sometimes don't mind when science is ignored for the purpose of an interesting plot, but Prometheus tries hard to make it look like it takes place in our universe.

The plot then revolves around how humans think of, learn about and finally interact with their creators. This includes some bits of very poor philosophy about religion, but also some more interesting things. The rich dying man who funded the Prometheus expedition to seek for the creators mostly wants to meet them to ask them to help him avoid dying. It seems that he views them as god-like aliens and has a quite religious attraction to them, the way he speaks of them hints that he is a kind of worshiper, almost irrationally fanatic about his creators, which is how I think a lot of humans would behave in such a situation.

The creators themselves are humanoids which is a bit disappointing, but it is used to explain why humans are what they are. Their design and their technology looks way too human, the only main difference is the architecture. Fortunately, it doesn't get completely uninteresting because although they are humans in appearance, their behavior remains difficult to grasp, almost incomprehensible to the humans, and remains unexplained through the whole movie. Their mass destruction biological weapon was quite nice, the way in which the aliens we know from previous Scott's movies got created was entertaining to watch.

There were some mildly interesting parts of the movie about a robot and his relationship with humans, mostly because there are a few lines making the parallel with him being created by humans and humans being created by aliens. So his feelings towards the humans were actually relevant to the main ideas of the movie.
  6. Jun 8, 2012
    There isn't a frame of Prometheus which is suspenseful, mysterious or fresh. The narrative and logic get jumbled unnecessarily after the first 20 minutes or so, and then everything gets clunky and uninspiring. Who is the protagonist? Who is carrying this picture(Fassbender, Rapace or even Theron)? The film does answer this question only in the final 10 minutes, with an almost laughable ending. The movie has a great sequence and detail in the beginning where a character watches and emulates TE Lawrence(Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia...it's a very cool piece to see David Lean's epic in 3-D. The rest is TV Material at best. Expand
  7. Jun 8, 2012
    Stop reading reviews and go see it. You'll spoil it for yourself and the internet hipsters will screw with your perception of a film that's sure to go down in history as a masterpiece. GO.
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is what I learnt from this prequel to Alien:
    * The elephantine face of the space jockey was a helmet, hiding way more human like traits. The design of the Na'vi had more originality than that.
    * The original facehugger was a giant squid that developed within a woman's uterus after she had sex with a man suffering from a worm infection that had turned another man into a zombie.
    * Even if the music does its best to inspire sadness, distress or urgency, it will only highlight just how bland every scene feels.
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A visual panoramic sci-fi feast that sets the "WTF?" stage of ALIENS. Yes, the crew is strangely similar to the Nostromo crew, and yes, it does raise a lot of questions that don't get answered... but this is a classic issue with sci-fi. Ask and answer? People aren't happy with the answers. Ask and don't answer? People hate not getting the answers. So, here are a couple of life lesson answers to take with you into the next century. 1. It's never a wise idea to tease an android. Even if they tell you they aren't programmed for rage? Be nice. Second, if you come across a room full of alien objects dribbling goo? Don't stick your fingers in it, slime it around and give it a sniff. I wouldn't do that today in a neighborhood garage. On an alien planet? Are you nuts? Seriously, have we not learned these lesson by 2089? Expand
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    A monumental disappointment. Up there with the Star Wars prequels, the X-Files movie and, of course, Lost. It's not a spoiler to say that none of the fundamental questions posed by the trailer or marketing materials for Prometheus are answered. Worse, as an insult to the viewers, these questions are re-asked at the end of the film to entice them to spend their money on the next installment of a potential franchise. In the way that Lost became merely a commercial for itself (all tease, all promise, no pay-off), Prometheus shows reveals Lindelof's involvement by simply being a 2-hour commercial for a sequel. Lindelof is fundamentally an advertising genius posing as a storyteller. But it's not the lack of answers that hurt most. Early reviews prepared me to leave without resolution. What really hurt was its tone-deaf script, logical incoherence, lack of suspense, and sluggish feel. I thought, at the very least, I could get off on this movie aesthetically but it breaks no new ground there and feels oddly devoid of passion visually. There are a million choices that go into a movie to make it feel real, which will then make it interesting. But nothing that happens in Prometheus feels real (even by sci-fi standards). There aren't any real people in this film. The characters never come to life. The action barely arrives. Everything feels television-thin. There's no depth to soak in. Just hack work and expensive-looking cinematography.

There's something dangerous about artists who once had a traumatic experience in the industry in their earlier, art-film periods and lived to fight another day. George Lucas and both Scott brothers seem to almost resent their fans and the early, experimental years of their own legacies. All three now make bloodless work on a grand scale that seems to have forgotten the cadences of good, human storytelling.

And I wish Lindeloff would stop hurting my feelings.

In the end, Prometheus is a metaphor for itself. My friend and I who went both wished we had never gone and felt an urgent need to warn others not to make the same mistake. Rapace says it best: "WE WERE SO WRONG!"
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    Alright let's just get this out of the way....NO this movie will not live up to the crazy hype to be on par with the original Alien films. However, what Prometheus manages to be is a beautifully shot, disturbing, scary, interesting new chapter of the world in which the Alien series takes place. Are there plot holes? YES....do they completely ruin the movie like many critics are claiming? NO. While there is not as much silent tension we all have come to know and love from the original films, Scott still makes this planet and the unknown dangers of it come across as disturbingly terrifying. The cinematography and score are gorgeous and the CG is tastefully used. Everyone complaining about the continuity of the ending needs to read a little more into the facts of this movie.....not the same planet people!!! Overall Prometheus is not as amazing as I had hoped, but honestly nothing will reclaim the gold of the originals. But, the film is in no way a bad movie. Definitely still one of my favorites in a long time and I enjoyed every moment, plot holes aside it's an awesome time. SEE PROMETHEUS!!!!!! Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a big letdown. It doesn't even come close to meeting the huge amount of hype it gathered. There are some really good aspects to the movie like the seamless CGI and great music and camera work but the writing brings everything way down hard like an Anchor, and I expected more from the team.Big rant coming but some very valid points so bear with me.Also full spoilers.

The whole expedition is ruined from the get go because they admit it cost them a trillion dollars (Stupid summation of money) to go to that moon and it was all because 2 scientists had a hunch there was life there and because a superstitious guy with a crap load of money funded the trip. Seemed a bit drastic for a hunch don't ya think? Also they arrived at the planet and started explaining what the atmosphere was like and how the planet looked yet modern science shows that we don't go near other planets before knowing what they're made up of or look like. Wouldn't they have sent drones in to test out the place first and not just blindly travel there?

There were two other scientists with the team, a geologist and a biologist but those two guys felt like canon fodder of sorts. They were there to be killed and nothing more. One guy was a biologist yet he never showed any interest when they found other signs life had existed there. You'd think a person who studies lifeforms and organic matter would be incredibly interested in life on another planet, especially one that looked identical to humans almost but when a little snake thing popped up he called it beautiful.The geologist was on a planet that had lots of caverns and valleys silimar to earth's, yet he acted like a marine instead of a geologist and showed a great amount of hostility towards shaw for almost nothing.

The david character seemed cool at first but started to crack at the seams once he talked more. Especially one line that bugged me "Want? a concept i'm not familiar with. But doesn't everyonewanttheir parents dead?" totally contradicting the fact that everyone constantly says he has no emotions. And he suddenly understood everything about the aliens only through studying human history and languages for 2 years, seemed a bit stupid.

One last thing, why did the map they found point them to that moon of all places when that moon was just a base where the aliens were working on weapons of mass destruction and were on their way to Earth anyway to destroy all the humans. Why point them there and not to their homeworld?

The whole movie was full of cliches too like the captian going down with the ship etc. Shaw having 30 seconds of oxygen and then suddenly it lasts for 30 mins. I dunno, I'm being a bit picky I know but some of these are glaring holes in the whole narrative and it brought me out of the immersion and I was sitting there thinking "This is really stupid"
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    The scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people review movies as what the movie set out to be. If an action movie is a good action movie, they give it a good review because it's a good action movie, not because it's a good movie. Prometheus, however, is a stunning Sci-Fi flick, an excellent horror film, and one of the best thrillers I think I've ever seen. I saw it at the midnight IMAX 3D premiere, and. was. STUNNED. Even though I saw it at what is considered a "LieMax" theater (google it), the sound was absolutely incredible! If you are a fan of Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, or Action Movies, I promise you'll love this. You'll also love it as an Alien fan, due to the countless tie-ins. This movie makes you question some of the events in it (in a good way) and think about life in general. AMAZING performances by Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron. 10/10 due to the fact that it was a great movie and gave a very satisfying release to my 1+ year anticipation for the film. Expand
  14. Jun 8, 2012
    I'm not sure what people were expecting from Prometheus. I've read reviews that asked for more gore much like Aliens, Ridley's 2nd film in the Alien franchise, more character development with a tip of the hat to Blade Runner, and more answers. ***SPOILER ALERT*** You are left with more questions by the time the movie ends. Ok so I haven't actually "SPOILED" anything but the internet is buzzing with expectations of clarity by the time the credits roll. There are a few things you need to understand before watching this film. It takes place on an entirely different planet. So, the "Space Jockey" from the original film is not in this movie. Prometheus takes place on a desolate yet stunningly beautiful LV-227 while the original is on drab and scary LV-426. It's a simple mistake to not realize this unless you've done your homework. The crew that everyone is so upset with have been in hypersleep (or whatever the term is) for 2 years. None of them are familiar with each other unless there was a relationship established before the mission. Also, the events that unfold during the movie take about one week; from Christmas to New Years Day. This is hardly any time to actually develop a character, but the ones that Ridley Scott have provided are brilliant, albeit stereotypical of their own roles.

The mission of the Prometheus is unknown to the crew until they are awakened. Their mission is basically to explore an â
  15. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Starting with the positives - the movie looks great and at points has a distinct feel to it, which is rare for movies these days.

However, overall the movie is simply too bloated. Scenes seem to be shoehorned in for no reason and at points it seems like the movie is supposed to be Indiana Jones in space, while 10 minutes later it's an action thriller, but then it's a deep philosophical movie about the origins of life. About the midpoint of the movie, they shoehorn in an action sequence that beyond being completely unnecessary actually disrupts the flow of the movie. It's also one of those movies where the two main characters are completely unlikable and you actually hope for their deaths. They'll talk about how they need to be safe and then not 30 seconds later they're putting everyone at risk for no other reason than to create suspense. There is simply too much "why would anyone do that?"

The male archeologist seems to be ripped straight from the cast of the Jersey Shore and his partner is unbearably dumb and those are the two people you're supposed to care about.

For example, there's a scene where the crew finds something and then they need to get back to the ship quickly because a storm is coming. The female archeologist says "We can't leave it behind!" when this was their first trip to the site. Just leave it behind and grab it tomorrow. That decision to take the object then leads to a five minute sequence (during which she continues to make stupid decisions) I didn't care about because it shouldn't have happened.

There's also a three minute scene where two characters are running away from a falling object (you know those scenes where if they run 10 feet left or right they'll be fine, but continue to run straight)... only to have one of the characters fall and gently roll out of the way, making you wonder why you needed to see them run for three minutes when they were a foot and a half from surviving.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    Roger Ebert has lost it long ago. My favorite movie of all time is Aliens and I want to say that I saw it at a midnight showing with a great crowd that was very quiet (You go Alamo Drafthouse!). Yes, this movie is very pretty with outstanding cinematography. But it's all about story and this one is just terrible. The story is disjointed, leaves too many unanswered questions in an attempt to be cerebral, and finally, is just downright boring. The atmosphere was not tense at all, their were no frights just unbelievable scenes. I don't want to give away any spoilers but just think about this review when you see Noomi's need for medical attention. It's one of the worst scenes I can think of in my last 20 years of watching movies. Expand
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    After all the hype, does Prometheus live up to it? Because I walked out of the theater feeling as if I was unable to determine if I liked it or not, Iâ
  18. Jun 8, 2012
    Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer for this film, I have been very excited. Sadly, I think that my expectations were too high going into this film. The movie ended up not being bad, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped it to be. The movie had strong acting, but weak characters. It is a tense movie, but it fails to recapture the quiet tension of Alien, although it doesn't really try to. Overall, the movie was hampered by a poor script that needed more time to develop the characters and to strengthen the plot. I hope that if they do make a sequel, they are able to learn from mistakes because if they do, it could be a truly great film. I enjoyed the film, but was let down by it nonetheless. I had hoped that the movie would better expand upon the mythos of the Alien Universe but instead, it only muddled it more. Still, there were some fun treats for fans of the original and I would still recommend seeing it, just go into it with lower expectations than I did. Expand
  19. Jun 8, 2012
    I love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, I laughed, I cried, I was speechless, my heart-stopped a few times, it was overall amazing. Definitely go see it, the midnight release was so worth it and I will happily see this again. Expand
  20. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Truly EPIC. This is one of those films that I wished so badly that I was part of the Prometheus crew. Reminds me of when I was young when I wished I was a part of the lord of the rings and star wars universe. It's a strange feeling. But watch it NOW, in cinemas in 3D: 3D is really good like Avatar!!
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    Well when Prometheus was announced some time ago I was more than a little excited, one because Alien is one of my all time favourite movies, and two Ridley Scott was directing. All these added together was more than enough to send my anticipation into a frenzy, then the first trailer came out. Oh my lord, that was it, I had to see this film at all costs.

Then something happened, another
    trailer was released, then another, then another. Then viral videos, then behind the scenes stuff, then more trailers. Then I kinda guessed the storyline and the outcome of the film, and now I've seen it, I was by and large correct. The marketing over load on this film, may have been overkill. Such a shame because the teaser trailer was so promising, but I did still go and watch it and I did still enjoy the film despite guessing the storyline.

Without giving too much away the film is set a few years before the original Alien film and explores the origin of mankind to the far reaches of space, but what they found may not be what they were expecting. One thing that did baffle me slightly was the technology used in the film, it made the future technology seem redundant, as the past seems far better equipped than the future, odd. But then this is both a positive and a negative, the positive being the film looks absolutely stunning, the set pieces are beautiful and detailed, the CGI is fabulous and photo realistic and virtually everything - down to the nearest speck of dust - looks good.

The cast is a nice mix, but character development is missing on most of the crew. The vast majority of them are totally forgettable, so you feel very little for them, something that is usually fatal in a "horror" film. But the main guys are great in their roles; Noomi Repace is well cast, though not a scratch on the Ellen Ripley character. Charlize Theron is fine in her cold commanding officer role, but is totally under utilised. But Michael Fassbender is on terrific form and completely steals the show, as the synthetic David.

Where my main issue with Prometheus lies is in its similarity with Alien, its more of remake than a prequel in a way. Thats not to say its exactly the same as Alien, but it feels oddly familiar and strangely lacking in originality despite trying its best to be original. The idea of the crew of Prometheus searching for mankind is very interesting, but in the end comes off as redundant and kinda lame. It tries to steer the film down a certain path, but it comes off more as ridiculous than ingenious. In the end you know what's going to happen which is another problem, and there is no real payoff at the end of the film. Not only that the film seriously lacks scares, the music is too loud and in your face. There is no gentle creeping and no silence to keep you on edge. The film therefore comes across more as a bad action film, than a good horror.

The trouble is Prometheus tried to distance itself from Alien and in doing so made itself less believable and predictable. But in a weird way I did like how they did it, could it have been better, hell yes, but did I ultimately enjoy the film, hell yes.

Prometheus isn't the masterpiece it set out to be. Its not as creepy and horrific as Alien and not as thrilling as Aliens, though it does have its own merits away from the franchise. If a sequel is made I won't be queueing round the block to see it, but I do want to come back for more. So despite a bit of mixed bag, I would still highly recommend Prometheus.
  22. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst some of the film was left open for people to work out, like why David infects Charlie, or why the Engineers were going back to destroy Humanity... it felt a little bit... vague. Too much felt left open. It also ticks some unfortunate horror cliches, in the way the two scientists petrified of a potential life sign... then decide touching a random alien creature would be a good idea... or why Elizabeth doesn't make sure her Squid (Congratulations, You've had a ....squid)... is lasered in half. Unfortunately most of the problems with the film were due to the plot, which is average at best. Maybe it will age well but at the moment it feels underwhelming. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2012
    Never mind a few plot holes in this beautifully-crafted film, Prometheus is essentially Ridley Scott's grand comeback to the movie world after a string of unsuccessful flicks. From its stunningly breath-taking scenes from an alien planet to the steely hollowness of the android, David 8, played fantastically by Michael Fassbender, this movie definitely holds a place in the sci-fi universe.
  24. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus has a good premise, good ideas, good intentions, but it executes all of them wrong. In fact there are so many inconsistencies you could write an entire review just listing them, don't believe me? Well there you go:
    -the scientists go from paintings on walls to "it's an invitation from our makers to go meet them on a remote planet", just like that, HUGE stretch there don't you think huh
    -the old man that organized the whole expedition pretends to be dead, for no reason, only to show up at the end with no one giving a crap that he's actually alive; what was the point of pretending to be dead to begin with then???
    -they hire completely incompetent and crazy people to conduct an expedition that cost billions and billions; those guys lost themselves in a cave when they have a 3D MAPS OF THE ENTIRE CAVE with gps, good god
    -the android poisons a crew member for no reason whatsoever, the main character even finds out about it and still doesn't give a crap when it was her fiance he poisoned
    -when the main character is impregnated with an alien they tell her they have no other option but to put her in hibernation when they have the best surgical machine available, which she then uses herself to get the thing out with no problem at all
    -talking about the surgical machine, why was it programmed for a "male patient" when it was owned by Charlize Theron, does that mean that her character was a actually a man?
    -why was the bald dude in hibernation for god knows how long when it was clearly stated he wanted to destroy mankind, or something, why was he just sleeping there if he had such an important mission to accomplish?
    -why did he just attack the characters like a rabid bull if he's supposed to be so smart and superior to us, couldn't he outsmart the crew and try to manipulate them instead of just going Rambo on them and failing miserably?
    -why the hell did such a terrible script get approved?
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    There's something of 'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull' about Prometheus. It introduces supernatural elements where none were, perhaps, asked for. If the other Alien films (the quadrilogy anyway) never aspired to just be a B-Movie, Prometheus appears to be content, for much of the film, to have the feel of a Lucas/Speilberg Saturday morning kid's TV show. There is too much knowing comedy of the 'If I do this, I hope that something bad doesn't happen- ok, I'll do it anyway' kind. Alien was set on a spaceship but it could have been any type of haunted house (albeit a quasi-industrial one) filled with foreboding and dread. Prometheus doesn't have this sense- it seems to set out to ask more profound questions than it does to profoundly scare. I doubt that it could have scared quite as much as the bizarre hybrids of the flawed (in terms of Ripley's character) but underrated Alien Resurrection anyway.
    In a way it satisfyingly, and orderly, displays the creation of the (presumably) first Alien (even though Ridley Scott has apparently said that this is not an Alien prequel despite appearances to the contrary). But it does so around some very foolhardy people. Some of the final parts of the film trying to evade being crushed (twice) by a spaceship owe more to the likes of Independence Day than the quiet realism of the original Alien film and there is a patronising comment about humans being superior to robots, which in the events of this film( but not Alien) is not the case.
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    Cinematography does not make a great movie. While there are beautiful scenes and landscapes, as well as imaginative displays of future technology, the plot drags this movie into Hades - an apt reference, considering one of the main issues with this film is it's half-baked ideology and the decision of the writers to not even fully explore or develop this history.

Which is it? An action
    film? A sci-fi philosophy film in the Aliens universe? Whatever the writers were trying to accomplish, they stopped trying after 60 minutes.

The movie feels as if the writers got to about an hour's worth of the script, and then just spitballed it from there. The acting has some bright points, but that's guaranteed based on the caliber of some of the actors (Noomi Rapace does her best with this seriously flawed script. Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender, as always, are great).

This movie deserves 3 out of 10 stars. More enthusiastic reviews have to be basing their review on previous movies in the series, because this was a film with great, but squandered, potential.
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    Though I dearly wanted to like Prometheus (I love Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, and all the other classic scifis), I thought the film was just awful, driven by an absolutely terrible script. It's as though it's written by twelve-year olds for seven-year olds - full to bursting with cringeworthy dialogue, unresolved plot strands, and laughably bad characters. That this film was even allowed to be released in this form is a testament to so many of the things wrong with Hollywood today.

On the plus side, it's visually gorgeous - but that just ain't good enough.
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind.

So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons whose collective scientific nous is rivalled only by that of the Three Stooges. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside
    the only 'man-made' structures on the planet, a'la 1960s Star Trek) the 'scientists' are yanking off their helmets, on the basis of 'it seems fine to me', dipping their fingers into strange organic ooze, and lugging a severed alien head back to an unquarantined spaceship in a sandwich bag.

Once there, they speedily discover the meaning of life. Then, while one of them gets a bit drunk, his two female companions decide it would be useful to stimulate the head electrically to reanimate it. They don't say why. They give it a bit too much juice, then too little,then dither over too much or too little like a couple of schoolgirls fiddling with a dicky bunsen burner, while the most important scientific discovery in human history waggles its ears and rolls its eyes â
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    Maybenot as good as the hype, with there seeming to not be a clear beginning and middle, many anti climaxes and doesnt follow the tense, scary route of Alien. But, there is much more good about the film, exceptional visuals, which make you feel very immersed into the setting of this planet. Miachel Fassbenders performance is excellent being a stand out in the movie and the scenes in which we see what happnes while the rest of the crew put into perspective how mistreated these androids can be. The script may not be perfect but the way in which it asks questions that are nit answered may annoy some, but can make others sit and think about what happened and what will happen next, fair enough, some of the questions asked are really baiting at a sequel, but this can be ignored. The alien in the film, which i wont reveal much about, will be very different to your expectations but is a very good, for much of the sptries questions revolve around their discovery. People who watched alien will be happy to see some of the unanswered questions answered, but believe me when i say this is defintely not in the same style of Alien, a very different film from Scott. There is few tense moments, and there is no silences in the film, but a lot of talking, and maybe the amount of conversations and speeches is not as good as Aliens eerieness, but Scott did always say his approach would be different.
    To conclude, the film is visually stunning, and the main theme of the film is bringing up questions about our beginnings which is very good. There is some faults especially the anti climaxes where you expect a scene of violence to lead to the conclusion of the film, and when it doesnt you ask what was the point? There are many things you may not notice in the film, but later you will realize why a little scenes was in there. A very good film, just a shame it wasnt the brilliance people thought it would be.
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    I loved it. I will try not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. The production design is really where this film shines. Everything looks so perfect. There wasn't a single visual aspect to this film that had anything out of place. For that alone I would give this a 10. David is also played to perfection. There are some problems with the writing, but I wouldn't say they mattered to much. That doesn't mean this a "check your brain in at the door film", it's just that not everything gets explained. This is also the first film I have seen the audience clap twice in (other than at the end, a scene involving Theron and Elba got an applause). It's not as good as Alien, but it is still the most exciting and beautiful looking films I have seen in ages. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.