6.5

1. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    I had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what theI had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what the opening scene STONGLY SUGGESTS! His DNA turns black & withers away but he falls in the water & wah la....were accidentally created so when you hear...why are we hear or why did they create us common sense should tell you to laugh! The acting is superb...the visuals are impressive throught out but that's not enough to cover the SHEER IDIOCY of what follows next with no logic what so ever! Why is David seen eating food in the beginning & drinks the same green juice as the captain when they all first awake if he's a machine? Why does David care about his looks..he's a machine? Why did weyland fake his death? It serves no purpose since it wasn't explained why he did it! why is David so sensitive to insults? How do you come to the conclusion that cave drawings are an invitation from aliens....when humans drew the pictures? Why is it that when everyone is told...WE FOUND A NEW PLANET THAT MAY HOLD THE KEY TO OUR EXISTANCE....no one gets excited? How can you conclude that these aliens are what made us with absolutely no proof? I thought scientist's relied on facts? How is it that they have high tech equipment & a spaceship but have helmet cam's that cant record? Why show holograms of aliens running but not what's chasing them? What happened to all the aliens that killed our creators?did they leave & if so...how? How do you get lost when you have video & radio contact with the ship & crew...AND A 3D MAP YOU JUST MADE? If the head of an alien is so important(& it was) why electrify it without testing it to make sure you don't destroy it? Why didn't halloway stop them from destroying an important find? Why did David kill halloway? I thought he probably wanted data on what would happen when he introduced alien dna to the human body but they ignored giving a logical resaon for why he poisoned him! Why play with an alien snake? I thought these people were smart? Why did David turn off the cam so vickers couldnt see what he saw? Why didn't vickers ask David why he turned off the camera when he got back? Why are there holograms of aliens practically showing anyone who comes there how to fly there ship but no lab where the bio-engineered aliens were made? How can you use a flame thrower in an environment that has no air?if David was really a shady character wouldnt he have helped get the Alien out of Shaw & take it for himself like he took the alien capsule in the cave? Why is vickers in possession of a medical machine that's only for men?HOW DID SHAW USE THAT SAME MACHINE to get the alien out of her when it scanned her? I'm sure it noticed she was female but it still performed the operation? Why didn't anyone question why Shaw walked in the room all bloodied with a Hugh scar across her stomach? Why didn't she tell anyone about the alien trapped in the machine? How did fifield just pop up if he was looking at the screens the whole time? Why was fifield a murdering zombie? After fifield was run over where did the guy drive off to...he left the ship & never returned! After just pulling an alien out of her body & learning that weyland was still alive...why continue back to the cave instead of seeking medical attention?why was our creator sleep if they were planning to kill all humans? Why did he go berserk & kill everyone if they so intelligent? Why kill all humans anyway? The captain told vickers to go to HER ship & he will eject it in 40seconds(which he did) SO WHY DID SHE GO TO AN ESCAPE POD? why run from a ship falling in the EXACT path that your running? Yet not go left or right? Why travel to an alien homeworld to get answers when you see first hand they'd rather kill us then talk to us? WHY DID I WASTE TWO HOURS WATCHING THIS ILLOGICAL MESS TO SEE AN ALIEN POP OUT THE ENGINEERS CHEST(ITS WHY I SAW IT IN THE FIRST PLACE) ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE ENDING CREDITS? people like this crape but cant explain why...they just say it was good but don't know why lol well...I have a Hugh list supporting why this movie is a waste of brain cells....AVOID THIS IF YOU WANT ANY LOGICAL ACTIONS BY SCIENTISTS. BUT IF YOU LOVE NICE VISUALS WITH A GOOD IDEA RUINED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE POSING AS SCIENTIST'S WHO DOES THE MOST ILLOGICAL THINGS FITTING OF RETARD INBRED HILLBILLY PROMETHEUS IS FOR YOU....A RELIGIOUS SCIENTIST'S GOOD GOD THIS SCRIPT WAS BAD!! Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2012
    "Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact"Prometheus" was decent enough, not bad, not great. To me, the plot pace seemed rushed. I thought several times through this that the film would've worked better as sci-fi mini-series. There were quite a few "really?!" moments that could've been tightened up in a mini-series. Other areas had obvious implausibilities like how the "red-shirt" explorers seemed to have no knowledge of contact protocol and predictably suffered for it. BTW, did the opening sequence with the disintegrating suicide make sense to anyone ?! Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.
    What's it all about? Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
    Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
    The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
    I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to cover up the awful story.someone needs to shove Ridley Scotts face into Prometheus,with the result hopefully being no more piles of dog crap like this beingI was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to cover up the awful story.someone needs to shove Ridley Scotts face into Prometheus,with the result hopefully being no more piles of dog crap like this being made by him again.If this was made by an unknown director,i think the ratings would down in the 2's and 3's,where it should be. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    absolutely amazing and a must see film. effects are amazing and the set design is gorgeous! just remember that AVP (alien vs predator) is NONE canon.
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  8. Nov 5, 2012
    Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale.
  9. Nov 5, 2012
    I'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end of the movie i didn't like. could be better. However the sufficiency is deserved.
  10. Nov 4, 2012
    Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
  11. Nov 3, 2012
    The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn
  12. Oct 30, 2012
    It's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story was cool as well as the special effects. I wish they would have been a little more innovating in the horror scenes...
  13. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  14. Oct 27, 2012
    What an absolutely horrendous movie! Do NOT watch this. I am dumber after seeing it for the first time. I wish I had those hours of my life back. I may never watch another movie again now that I am so disenchanted with hollywood and the barf that they produce. I am not trying to be funny... I am dead serious... this movie is the most horrible thing I have ever seen in my life.
  15. Oct 26, 2012
    This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for theThis movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
  16. Oct 26, 2012
    Michael Fassbender gives a great performance as the ship android amidst all of the confusion this film evokes, avid Alien fans will be disenchanted by franchise incontinuity and the lack of H.R. Giger design work.
  17. Oct 26, 2012
    I've never been this mind-trolled ever. I started thinking of my origin, the origin of the human race and I just wanted it to be a true story. Fassbender delivers (in my opinion) an award winning performance as David, a cyborg/android being.
  18. Oct 24, 2012
    This movie wanted to be Alien so bad, but it fell flat on its face. I thought this movie was going to be good, judging by the first hour or so. Unfortunately the last hour went way off the deep end.
  19. Oct 24, 2012
    Prometheus is a bit wobbly and rushed at times (mainly the end) but the acting, direction and effects make up for it. The script is also a bit dodgy at times, as it's very un-technical for a sc-fi epic film.
  20. Oct 22, 2012
    Prometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruous characterization, storyline, and inept characters. Oops, there I go again.
  21. Oct 19, 2012
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2. This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked.
  22. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dumbing down of science fiction films is prevalent throughout the entire genre. With Prometheus I was hoping to find salvation. What I did find however was shockingly poor.

A character list that I couldn't care less about launch themselves headfirst into a half baked search for the creators of humanity. Supposedly intelligent crew members of the Prometheus take every opportunity to stick fingers in alien goop and open doors to suspected infected shipmates without a second thought.

Questions that I am not really sure I had are now bugging me as the film does more to promote itself a sequel than pay dues to the Alien franchise that it basis itself on.

Praise is due for the geek squad who, like the 'photos of the fairies' believers at the turn of the century, go to great lengths to cover the tracks of Mr Scott and attempt to second guess the conveluted script and explain away some of the more gaping holes.

The only saving grace I can think of may well lie with the obvious sequel. If this second film delivers something truly original and sews together the Prometheus/Alien/Space Jockey stories so incredibly well as to produce something of an epiphany, then, and only then will these words be eaten. I think that I may well go hungry.
  23. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien wasFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2012
    Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engagingLots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
  25. Oct 13, 2012
    A great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only because it has awesome special effects. It has good acting and all the recipes for a great movie except for one thing it makes no sense and is complete dribbleA great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only because it has awesome special effects. It has good acting and all the recipes for a great movie except for one thing it makes no sense and is complete dribble of information that makes you connect the dots from the alien trilogy. However if you don't know its part of the alien franchise then its a ridiculously bad. After about an hour I finally said ah ha its an alien prequel. But until then it was slow with predictable tension that led to predictable outcomes.The key is By Itself its a waste of time. If you combine it with the other alien movies then it has some redeeming qualities and you could rate it significantly higher but only if you have a crush on the Alien. Expand
  26. Oct 13, 2012
    Solid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for a good sci-fi movie, this is the best I've seen in a while. Really enjoyed the slower pacing, let me take it all in. Worth your time definitely, but doSolid movie. Lots of twists, a few really great moments. Does what i wanted which was show me a bunch of cool stuff from other worlds. I love the kind of exposure that you're given to Scott's nightmarish make-believe. If you are looking for a good sci-fi movie, this is the best I've seen in a while. Really enjoyed the slower pacing, let me take it all in. Worth your time definitely, but do not expect action. Expect to be impressed and repulsed sometimes at the same time. I don't care about Aliens though i respect them as what they are. This was a great prologue, I hope there is a second movie. Expand
  27. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  28. Oct 13, 2012
    The plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. It is just good.
  29. Oct 12, 2012
    The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about.
  30. Oct 12, 2012
    Just seen the film.
    I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.