6.5

1. Jun 8, 2012
    Let me start this up by saying I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. The machinery of the Hollywood distribution business has fallen into the repetitive practice of hipping up product that sinks itself within five minutes of opening, unable to support the almost god-like audience expectations. And Prometheus is no foreigner to the fabricated Hollywood momentum. To say thereLet me start this up by saying I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. The machinery of the Hollywood distribution business has fallen into the repetitive practice of hipping up product that sinks itself within five minutes of opening, unable to support the almost god-like audience expectations. And Prometheus is no foreigner to the fabricated Hollywood momentum. To say there has been a lot of anticipation built up around Ridley Scott's latest cinematic dream is an understatement.
    It seems Hollywood finally got it right. We no longer have to drone ourselves to the theater and laugh off what the ads were claiming would be fantastic and is actually born to mediocrity. We can expect a movie to be as good as it's expected, and in fact, even better. Much much better.
    I attended the midnight screening late Thursday night and the energy in that place was amazing. This is what story telling is about. The human need for the discovery of an incredible story is well alive. It bonds us all. Gives us a reason to dream and fight for what we want. The illusion is the flame.
    The screenplay felt flawless. It would have been so easy to make this another fare in Alien combat. Us running around helpless with useless weapons. Them chasing us effortlessly. The pretty girl screaming on the side. I think other filmmakers did that once or twice.
    Not John Spaihts and Damon Lindelof. These two delved deep into humanity's unanswerable questions. Who are our Gods? Why? Where? And what is to say of the father-sibling complex? Are our parents like Gods to us? Gods of flesh that have guided us to where we are? Or are they simple humans we must be rid of in order to proclaim ourselves as masters of our own insignificant universe? This and much more is all tucked away behind the perfectly stylized curtains of Ridley Scott's science fiction world.
    The movie feels right down fascinating. Reminiscent of that first Alien film. Those early shots way before the egg was revealed. Even the opening shots inside a dormant Nostromo. Remember those? How haunting? How intriguing? Ridley's hand is still very much present here. At its best shape. I simply couldn't get my eyes off that screen. Fascinating. Even the 3D element played well into it. I thought this might turn into another "let's poke the audience in the eye" kind of trip, but instead it felt like an immersive experience. I almost forgot I was in a movie theatre at times.
    Dramatically. The acting was phenomenal. Nothing that required exaggerated exuberance. Acting is mostly an art that goes unnoticed because of its sincerity. So real that we don't question it. A simple matter of fact. This film required that kind of delivery. The kind of dramatic honesty that allows the screenplay to unfold itself effortlessly.
    I will close this by pointing out that I wasn't particularly scared this time around. I recall being horrified the first time the Alien burst out of Kane's chest back in the day. Although, Prometheus doesn't seem to be a product of the horror genre. Suspenseful and though provoking are more along the line of the goals this motion picture attempts to deliver, and does masterfully.
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    The movie promises to answer some of the most quintessential questions of our existence, but never gets anywhere close. Instead it quickly jumps genre and evolves into an "Alien" for the 21st century (though the old one is still as good and hasn't lost its sheen with time). It's however redeemed by its sweeping visual grandeur and spot-on performances by Rapace and Fassbender.
  3. Aug 12, 2012
    As an Alien quasi-prequel, the elements that make this a prequel does feel like it's hurting the movie. The visuals are amazing. Fassbender great as always. But like Damon Lindelof's other infamous show (Lost), this film has a lot of big mysterious that not a lot have been pulled out unsatisfyingly.
  4. Jul 18, 2012
    Name a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that weName a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that we all kinda suck. Well, maybe we'll see the light in "Prometheus 2: People Suck". Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2013
    A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
  6. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP filmsI know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end),Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end), treated in a hasty and pretentious, new-age-ish way, which is quite a shame for a picture with a tonn of small resemblances with the genre's classics (think of 2001: Space Odyssey, Blade Runner or, more recently, Mission to Mars etc.) and books (In the Mountain of Madness, some hints at King Lear's parental drama). It seems to me that after 30 years of absence from sci-fi universe Ridley Scott wanted to tell us everything, ending with telling us nothing in specific. 6/10 for the plot, boosted to 7/10 due to great technical elements. Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    There isn't a frame of Prometheus which is suspenseful, mysterious or fresh. The narrative and logic get jumbled unnecessarily after the first 20 minutes or so, and then everything gets clunky and uninspiring. Who is the protagonist? Who is carrying this picture(Fassbender, Rapace or even Theron)? The film does answer this question only in the final 10 minutes, with an almost laughableThere isn't a frame of Prometheus which is suspenseful, mysterious or fresh. The narrative and logic get jumbled unnecessarily after the first 20 minutes or so, and then everything gets clunky and uninspiring. Who is the protagonist? Who is carrying this picture(Fassbender, Rapace or even Theron)? The film does answer this question only in the final 10 minutes, with an almost laughable ending. The movie has a great sequence and detail in the beginning where a character watches and emulates TE Lawrence(Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia...it's a very cool piece to see David Lean's epic in 3-D. The rest is TV Material at best. Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up.
  10. Jun 15, 2016
    This film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portrayingThis film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portraying scientists. Also, the sinister folk in the film, rather than reveal their evil gradually, stand right up and twirl their metaphorical mustaches so there's no doubt that there are all manner of eviltry and devilish doings just waiting to be revealed.

The number of things that people are kept in the dark about goes beyond absurd. The exploration mission is stated to be a trillion dollar project so one might be tempted to assume that plans were laid and briefings held at least a year or two before anyone actually set foot inside a space ship. In fact, most of the crew have no idea what's going on till they land on an alien world and a ship's meeting is held to explain why they've been in "cryosleep" for two years. The rich guy who set everything in motion is secretly onboard the ship, and so is his daughter, and why any of that is a secret I have no idea, unless it's just to persuade the teenagers among us that the film is full of wheels within wheels.

Yes, there are alien creatures. Two of the so-called "scientists" meet their demise in a first encounter with the creatures. Rather than regard these unknown creatures with caution the "scientists" react as if the things are very cute, just darling, and would obviously make excellent pets.

Ultimately, the film is dumb. With expensive FX. Ho-hum.
  11. Aug 6, 2012
    First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story.First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story. I also liked the fact that the story is 1st here, characters are close 2nd. It is mandatory to mention than without Michael Fassbender`s and Charlize Theron`s exceptional performance, this movie would have ended a six out of ten. Also, for a fan of the Alien movies, this one is not in any way a pastiche nore does it interfere which the series. On the contrary - Prometheus answers some of the questions from the original Alien and mentions it in a subtle way. The story gives a pleasant feeling although one feels that answering few of the questions set over 30 years ago is the single and only purpose for this movie`s creation. I find the monsters well, silly. The action scenes are mediocre with the exception of the last one where the Prometheus takes off for the last time. Even though the suspense is probably the only thing of a thriller here, in my opinion it placed 3rd right after Aliens and Alien, because it is much better than Alien 3 and 4. It is memorable but not as nearly as the first two parts it prequels. Expand
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  13. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  14. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  15. Jul 8, 2012
    Maybe not as good as the hype, with their seeming to not be a clear beginning and middle, many anti-climaxes and doesn
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    This is one of the best science fiction movies I have ever seen! Visually stunning, mysterious, haunting and with an ambitious story, and all elements blend together perfectly. The greatest part however is that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of space for the audience to fill with their own fantasy instead of breastfeeding them. What a perfect movie!
  17. Jun 13, 2012
    Ridley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults youRidley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults you will have yourself one helluva gorgeous thrill-ride. Expand
  18. Jun 8, 2012
    A superb spectacle of action, an intriguing story of speculative science, and a supremely chilling horror film, Prometheus is one hell of a movie. Acting, dialogue, cinematography, and editing all come together seamlessly in what is perhaps 2012's most thrilling film. Devoted Alien fans and newcomers alike will be delighted by Ridley Scott's beautiful new melding of technology and good oldA superb spectacle of action, an intriguing story of speculative science, and a supremely chilling horror film, Prometheus is one hell of a movie. Acting, dialogue, cinematography, and editing all come together seamlessly in what is perhaps 2012's most thrilling film. Devoted Alien fans and newcomers alike will be delighted by Ridley Scott's beautiful new melding of technology and good old fashioned storytelling. Keep an eye out for Fassbender- he has a damn good chance of snatching up a trophy or two come award season; never has there been a more convincing human portrayal of an android. Highly recommended. Expand
  19. Jun 9, 2012
    I've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater ifI've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater if the story was written better. The end. Expand
  20. May 27, 2013
    What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
    I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense.
  21. Jun 17, 2012
    Firstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too manyFirstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too many problems unanswered. I actually burst out laughing in a few places as dialogue was stolen from other movies. Expand
  22. Jun 8, 2012
    Went and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships andWent and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships and there were no real surprises i.e. no mystery or suspense. I was only pressed against the back of my chair twice, and thought it was all going to begin, but then it just simply faded to nothingness. There was never a "NO WAY!" moment. Just really left me with more questions and certainly in no way equals Alien, which I expected. I imagined before going in that this is a movie that I would have to purchased as soon as it was available. Now, I might watch it on free-to-air some night with commercials. In fact, in the end found myself laughing at stuff I saw happening. What would I give it out of 10? I am giving it a big "Meh". "We were wrong, So wrong!" Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    There are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomiThere are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomi rapace was pretty good, charlize therone was decent being a **** again (Snow White). Idris elba was the ships captain again decent acting nothing major. As For everybody else i felt they were fillers their acting was decent and for small roles you didn't need much acting. The standout actor in this movie is Michael Fassbender he steals the show! his acting was superb and his character was definitely the most interesting. while watching this movie i honestly didn't care much about the other characters than i did about David (fassbenders character). And while fassbender really wasn't a "Main" character he was a supporting character who actually turns out to be a main one he definitely has a huge role and is one of the main reasons for watching this movie. The story is simple 2 archeologists along with the prometheus crew go to another planet in search for their creators (human like aliens) and they do find them! and **** hits the fan (people start dying etc. etc.) definitely a good movie i don't wanna spoil anything but it is a good time, it is a great movie, it looks fantastic beautiful movie, i really have nothing bad to say about this movie GO WATCH IT! Expand
  24. Jun 8, 2012
    A monumental disappointment. Up there with the Star Wars prequels, the X-Files movie and, of course, Lost. It's not a spoiler to say that none of the fundamental questions posed by the trailer or marketing materials for Prometheus are answered. Worse, as an insult to the viewers, these questions are re-asked at the end of the film to entice them to spend their money on the next installmentA monumental disappointment. Up there with the Star Wars prequels, the X-Files movie and, of course, Lost. It's not a spoiler to say that none of the fundamental questions posed by the trailer or marketing materials for Prometheus are answered. Worse, as an insult to the viewers, these questions are re-asked at the end of the film to entice them to spend their money on the next installment of a potential franchise. In the way that Lost became merely a commercial for itself (all tease, all promise, no pay-off), Prometheus shows reveals Lindelof's involvement by simply being a 2-hour commercial for a sequel. Lindelof is fundamentally an advertising genius posing as a storyteller. But it's not the lack of answers that hurt most. Early reviews prepared me to leave without resolution. What really hurt was its tone-deaf script, logical incoherence, lack of suspense, and sluggish feel. I thought, at the very least, I could get off on this movie aesthetically but it breaks no new ground there and feels oddly devoid of passion visually. There are a million choices that go into a movie to make it feel real, which will then make it interesting. But nothing that happens in Prometheus feels real (even by sci-fi standards). There aren't any real people in this film. The characters never come to life. The action barely arrives. Everything feels television-thin. There's no depth to soak in. Just hack work and expensive-looking cinematography.

There's something dangerous about artists who once had a traumatic experience in the industry in their earlier, art-film periods and lived to fight another day. George Lucas and both Scott brothers seem to almost resent their fans and the early, experimental years of their own legacies. All three now make bloodless work on a grand scale that seems to have forgotten the cadences of good, human storytelling.

And I wish Lindeloff would stop hurting my feelings.

In the end, Prometheus is a metaphor for itself. My friend and I who went both wished we had never gone and felt an urgent need to warn others not to make the same mistake. Rapace says it best: "WE WERE SO WRONG!"
  25. Jun 17, 2012
    Saw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (convenientlySaw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside the only 'man-made' structures on the planet ) the 'scientists' are dipping their fingers into strange primordial goo, lugging a severed alien head back the size of 2 watermelons back to an unquarantined spaceship in a glad bag. Two female Expand
  26. Jun 19, 2012
    I went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawnI went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawn into this story even though I went expecting not to like it. Worth seeing in theatres. Expand
  27. Jun 27, 2012
    Prometheus - A sci-fi, horror film that takes place in the universe of Ridley Scott's 1979 "Alien" franchise. A really well crafted and rich sci-fi universe, excellent cast and performances, along with a beautifully well written film makes Prometheus a must see for fans of the series and any real sci-fi and/or horror fan. Although this film is not a direct prequel that ties into the eventsPrometheus - A sci-fi, horror film that takes place in the universe of Ridley Scott's 1979 "Alien" franchise. A really well crafted and rich sci-fi universe, excellent cast and performances, along with a beautifully well written film makes Prometheus a must see for fans of the series and any real sci-fi and/or horror fan. Although this film is not a direct prequel that ties into the events of "Alien" - it does take place before the events of the first Alien movie. It also ends for intentions of a sequel, which might end up being the actual prequel that ties into the events of the first "Alien." Rather it will be or not, I'm really looking forward to another one of Ridley Scott's fantastic sci-fi, horror, works of art. Expand
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    Definitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into theDefinitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into the narrative of the film, and while I can see how it would be necessary, I could have done without it. It felt generic and cliche'. It felt, honestly, a little too family friendly at that point. The film is driving home a hard hitting point, and I felt that the "faith" talk was a way of patting the audience on the head and saying "there, there, no need to fret!" I don't know, maybe that's just me. If you are looking for a hardcore prequel to Alien, then you will also be disappointed. The story is very much its own. It's a good watch, and even a good buy, but I felt it had an identity crisis at times and failed to really drive home its message with confidence. The acting is pretty superb. Fassbender and Theron knock it out of the park. I really love Charlize Theron. She is one of the few "cross over" actors who I feel really have earned their stripes, and she is hands down one of the most beautiful women alive today. Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a much anticipated movie. I was charmed by the visuals the trailers offered and the answers it promised. However, I found it very disappointing in several ways, mainly for its stupidity, characters and plot :

❶This is the stupidest movie ever. I'm a student in engineering and way smarter than ANY characters in the movie! The movie is filled with stupidity, often achieved by (top) scientists. This is the world's greatest expedition and they send a bunch of idiots, drunk, deranged and retarded people that don't even know why they are here until they've arrived! WTF is that? How can anyone consent going to a life-threatening mission without even knowing what they're going into or why? How can they properly prepare themselves with the right equipment? They also have no mean of defense and a non-existent security system with no quarantine. They ignore any scientific or safety measures while exploring the alien planet, to the point where they take off their helmets and expose themselves willingly to alien lifeforms! Did I mention that the only way they can visually communicate with the ship is with the helmets? The suits they use are inefficient, it cannot withstand acid nor fire. If I was the expedition leader, I would only send robots while staying safely inside the ship. The ship's captain alerts only 5 min before that a gigantic storm is on the way and that he'll leave them behind if they don't move their asses. They decide to take an alien head to the ship in a quad that can't even contain it properly. After it drops out the heroin decides to risk her life and the entire crew's to save the alien head from the storm, which they blow up 5min later while experimenting on it because they're to stupid to use they're own equipment properly. While this happens, one scientist decides to get drunk and gets poisoned by the robot with alien lifeforms (on behalf of the supposedly dead millionaire), exposing thusly the entire crew and the millionaire to certain and painful death. While two of their fellow companions managed to get lost with a 3D gps at their disposal, the captain and the expedition leader also have sex. It so happens that meanwhile the lost guys, who were scared to death to meet aliens 2min ago, actually do meet aliens, remove their helmets and treat them like home pets! No wonder they die but no one pays attention and they have no means to alert the ship's crew! THIS IS ONLY THE FIRST 15 MINUTES! This goes on for the rest of the movie, I'm not saying that the scenarists should look into every scientific details but most of the time all it needs is plain common sense, something that every character in Prometheus fails to adopt.

❷ Characters are the second major failure of Prometheus. Apart from being stupid and mentally retarded, the characters have no depth. This is probably why all the characters are so stereotyped : all the scientists are white, the horny doesn't-give-a-rat's-ass-about-science captain is black, the money-hungry expedition leader is a blonde **** the **** that eventually starts killing everyone is a deranged punk... etc. The only two characters that they bothered giving a somewhat personality are the heroin and the robot (who is not supposed to have any), they are also the only two survivalists. Apparently the other characters were just here to die, so why give them a personality? The thing is it's harder to feel anything towards them. Basically, the characters that rise above humanity's vanities (money, sex, alcohol, eternal life) or that have some kind of
  30. Jun 9, 2012
    Go and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that aGo and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that a director of Scott's capabilities could possibly have put together such a vacuous story. I can only assume that the ageing Ridley is fretting about What Lies Beyond and is either wholly cynical about mankind, or melancholic at the thought that man's quest for purpose and meaning in life is as fruitless as Shaw's quest for the aliens depicted in ancient man's primitive paintings. Or both. Of course, he could just have been fretting that he failed to make Alien anything more than a 'boo' movie so decided to invest Prometheus with the significance that critics claim was missing from his 1979 masterpiece. I've not read any critic who has actually explored the significance of David's modelling of himself on TE Lawrence. Is it to show that David has chosen a deeply flawed model, and thereby given himself a Sisyphean task? He'll never be a warm human while he chooses to emulate one of life's most famous Outsiders. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.