6.5

1. Jul 2, 2012
    Ridley has his eyes on the prize, but they're too big for his stomach.

Ridley has his eyes on the prize, but they're too big for his stomach.

In the thirty-three years since Ridley Scott's suspense-filled masterclass Alien, the franchise has lent itself to all-out warfare in the hands of James Cameron, a misguided hark back to the original courtesy of David Fincher and a pair of lamentable crossovers with Arnie's pal. Now the man who spawned the series has returned with a standalone film occurring before the events of all others, attempting to shine a light on the origins of the creature, the man infatuated by it and humanity itself.

In the year 2089 archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and partner Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) have discovered a cave painting similar in design to many others found around the world. The pictures are interpreted as a star map, and an invitation to humans to venture forth into the depths of space and meet their maker. So that's exactly what the couple does. In the company of uptight mission director Meredith (Charlize Theron), android David (Michael Fassbender) and the elderly, mysterious Mr. Weyland (Guy Pierce), they board the good ship Prometheus. Upon arrival, the team has their perception of human history and spirituality rocked to its core.

Ridley Scott was right to make the clear distinction between 'prequel' and 'standalone' in this instance, as Prometheus most definitely falls into the latter category. Chestbursters, facehuggers and acid bleeding xenomorphs are, for the most part, replaced with ancestral beings and foreign substances. Simply put, suspense and thrills are put on the backburner, while typical traits of intelligent sci-fi (issues of spirituality, the presence of greater beings and man's insignificance in the grand scheme of the omega) form the crux of the plot.

With that said, Scott shows he has not lost his touch in delivering to fans of the original what they paid to see. Allusions to the franchise, both subtle and overt, are prevalent throughout, while the scene in which Dr. Shaw is forced to conduct some impromptu surgery matches any moment of his distinguished career in intensity and exhilaration, providing the film's inarguable highlight. Visually speaking, Prometheus astounds, as inspired settings and sweeping, immersive camera-work make it one of those rare films that actually incorporates 3D into the cinematography and not just as a cheap gimmick.

Whether intentional or not, the overriding theme that seems to come out in the wash is that there are some things man is not meant to know. For a film covering two and a half hours not much happens, and its attempt to answer some of the biggest questions posed to mankind gives the impression that it has bitten off more than it can chew, resulting in a cyclical narrative that reveals very little. Indeed, it may be the whole point of the film that an understanding of our purpose in life is so far beyond the realms of a human's mental capacity that to even try to comprehend such a universal semiotic would be the ultimate exercise in futility. And so, the criticism comes not from the film's ambiguity and inability to explain the unexplainable, but rather from the expectations it establishes for the viewer, only to meander around the big questions without directly addressing them.

Maybe we're being a little hasty. Maybe, in the midst of all the pre-release hype, we've overlooked the fact that this film has a very sequel- friendly ending, strongly implying that our discovery of how and why has just begun. And therein lies the conflicting nature of Prometheus. Some will call it pointless, some will hail it as the pinnacle of cinematic literature and some may just have to wait and see if this film really is the disjointed, identity-conflicted slice of science fiction it appears to be in its own vacuum, or merely the preface of a potentially epic series.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*
  2. Jun 23, 2012
    Good movie. Not going to be a classic, but I don't regret paying to see it in theaters. There just wasn't anything that was surprising about the plot. After the first half hour, I would guesstimate that 80% of the rest of the movie was extremely predictable.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this film, but the movie suffers from very apparent re-writes after re-writes. Too many hands spoiled the pie. Prometheus had no clue where it was going and there was too much reveal literally at the start and the various trailers. I don't think Ridley Scott has lost his touch, but I think he's at that age where he's unable to fend of annoying studio executives who demand too many changes or are pushing for a deadline.

Alien is one of the greatest movies ever made due to its simplistic story line, same goes for the action packed Aliens. The movie left you with a sense of wonderment, surprise, letting your imagination run wild. Prometheus straddled between both, and failed miserably, part suspense, part pop corn, leave your brain at the door summer block buster, the story did not know where to go, and worst of all, spoon fed the audience like a newborn.

Once again though, Michael Fassbender was awesome, Charlize Theron does what Charlize Theron does best and a rather interesting Ray Stevenson. Unfortunately Noomi Rapace is no Sigourney Weaver and I blame the script more than her acting as her character was...rather dull.

While this movie will probably make bucketloads of money, I feel it's a rather unfortunate let down for all Aliens fans out there. Oh, and by the way, it is an Aliens Movie, it just doesn't know it yet.
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer,Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, would appear on screen and kill him with a stove pipe hat. And, Charlezzzzz you need to step it up girl. Take the money and run only lasts so long. Bad, bad, bad..... Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2012
    After all the hype, does Prometheus live up to it? Because I walked out of the theater feeling as if I was unable to determine if I liked it or not, Iâ
  7. JYT
    Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott tried to push the limits from previous Sci-Fi/Horror done before and in all directions at the same time: more picturesques, going further with the creation of manking, the horror of the self-surgery, smotther special effects, etc... Charlize Theron plays very well also. Good to watch.
  8. Jun 13, 2012
    If you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by aIf you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by a talented cast, the characters are all one dimensional at best. Although they hint that there may be more personality hidden below the surface, no actions are made to support any evidence of existence. There isn't a single fighter among the entire group and the heroine's unrealistic amount of luck in surviving a never ending onslaught of dangerous scenarios gives this an almost a Disney-like quality (in a bad way, i.e. John Carter) despite a complete and utter lack of reasons why we as the viewer would want to relate to, emulate, sympathize with, or watch this character. Her bravado is poorly paired with displays of lower-level aptitude, which is simply sad for a scientist. Other things to note are this film plays long (2 hours feels like 4) and anyone who's seen Aliens will no doubt find this (alleged prequel) to be an insult to its' memory. However, if you're looking for signature Ridley Scott shots, special effects and sequences there are some visually appealing parts of the film that make up for about 5 of the 127 minutes of the movie. If you're on the fence, watch the trailer and if you still want to see some nonsense for the purpose of amusement, go watch The Dictator- it's ridiculous as well, but in a good way and funny too. Expand
  9. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  10. Dec 25, 2014
    The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.
  12. Jun 15, 2012
    I can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will notI can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will not discuss so I don't spoil it, but the last scene I believe was thrown in their to please fans or to stir up emotions for a sequel nothing more, nothing less. The film is very slow paced but fascinating and captivating at the same time, your looking forward to some action happening. The film does not have any immediate action sequences nor is a action/adventure or horror film. It is mostly scifi film about finding our creators and finding the meaning of our existence and I found it dry and lack luster but the after I left I couldn't help but think the message of the film is essential and it fascinated me. A great film for many but some may find it boring. Expand
  13. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  14. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  15. Jun 14, 2012
    This one tries to evoke a bit more of Alien rather than the action movie Aliens. Well acted, put together fairly well and logically, and beautiful and believable, though in the end Ridley Scott doesn't quite nail it. The first death(s) make the entire movie worth watching for us, though, by themselves, and in the end, we enjoyed the movie without necessarily loving the movie.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Truly EPIC. This is one of those films that I wished so badly that I was part of the Prometheus crew. Reminds me of when I was young when I wished I was a part of the lord of the rings and star wars universe. It's a strange feeling. But watch it NOW, in cinemas in 3D: 3D is really good like Avatar!!
  17. Oct 13, 2012
    The plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. It is just good.
  18. Dec 8, 2013
    Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
  19. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myselfThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  20. Nov 10, 2014
    I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
  21. Jun 17, 2012
    Prometheus is a pretty good film, but some of the undeveloped characters and "plot holes you could drive a Death Star through" really let down Fassbender's superb performance and some of the best visual production I've ever seen.
  22. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  23. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm not usually into Sci-Fi films, however, this film was the exception. Fantastic visual effects, intriguing storyline, and a philosophical twist to it. All the ingredients that make up a great film.
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    First off HUGE fan of the Alien series. I was immensely excited with Scott coming back to the franchise (we all know its been lacking since Alien 3). I was expecting to be blown away, but It was slowing becoming more and more disappointing as the movie dragged on. The cast of the movie only has a few that stand out, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender (David), and Idris Elba. The rest wereFirst off HUGE fan of the Alien series. I was immensely excited with Scott coming back to the franchise (we all know its been lacking since Alien 3). I was expecting to be blown away, but It was slowing becoming more and more disappointing as the movie dragged on. The cast of the movie only has a few that stand out, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender (David), and Idris Elba. The rest were pretty much red shirts to me. The alien designs looked cool but eventually impractical to me. David the robot killed close to half the people on the ship (intentionally, unintentionally) which surprised me, but what surprised me more was that no one was really at all mad with him. The didn't even give him the cold shoulder. The movie ended up just flopping at about the hour and a half mark and I really felt that the movie would have been much better if it had ended there, but instead they drag the movie out another 30 minutes. The CGI in this movie was very good, except for the alien surgery part, you would have thought that part of her stomach was made of play-dough it looked so bad. This movie is a totally let down, but for some of the mindless movie goers of the 21 century they'll probably praise the movie. Please don't be one of them, avoid this. Expand
  25. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simple Phenomenal. I have been waiting for this movie for a loong time. I avoided all trailers and clips so I don't spoil anything from this movie made by one of my best directors Ridley Scott. People probably expected more mostly because they ruined most of it by doing what I didn't do. The problem is that people don't know that there's going to be a sequel called, "Paradise". The other is that people don't like to think and use there brain on what happened and why? It has to be the first movie in along time that actually made me talk about all the theories of it. I have my own theories but I'll explain it later. I have to say this has to be on of the best Sci-Fi movies I have seen since Sunshine. Sci-fi movies are not popular in the movie industry because no one wants to understand it. I love it. I will keep it short. The creators(space Jockeys) came to earth to create us. Then use as a weapon to probably fight a war or invasion that they are involved in. Something goes wrong with there experiment and they have to eliminate some of there own and try to escape. When the crew arrives at there world which is not LV 426 from the alien movie the human crew enters a closed quarters and some worms appear from the soil that evolve later on from the contents of the canisters. The space jockey ship in this movie is not the one that crash landed on LV 426 because Weyland industries knew the location of this world so they would have sent more people to this planet again. Plus the crew from the Nostromo would have bumped into the canisters if this was that ship which its not. If you watch Alien even the planet and system they enter is completely different.

I think the sequel will shine on all these questions which I can't wait. Think about this.
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show noAs someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    I loved it. I will try not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. The production design is really where this film shines. Everything looks so perfect. There wasn't a single visual aspect to this film that had anything out of place. For that alone I would give this a 10. David is also played to perfection. There are some problems with the writing, but I wouldn't say theyI loved it. I will try not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it. The production design is really where this film shines. Everything looks so perfect. There wasn't a single visual aspect to this film that had anything out of place. For that alone I would give this a 10. David is also played to perfection. There are some problems with the writing, but I wouldn't say they mattered to much. That doesn't mean this a "check your brain in at the door film", it's just that not everything gets explained. This is also the first film I have seen the audience clap twice in (other than at the end, a scene involving Theron and Elba got an applause). It's not as good as Alien, but it is still the most exciting and beautiful looking films I have seen in ages. Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. My first impression of Prometheus was simply, wow. While it didn't quite reach Alien or Aliens in terms of brilliance, it was damn close.

Lets talk plot: I like the idea of the mysterious Engineers that leave their marks all over prehistoric Earth, and an intriguing opening sequence captured the visuals which left my jaw hanging open. Find a huge screen to watch this film, that way you enjoy it exponentially more. Introducing the character of David first was wise, Michael Fassbender is sheerly brilliant as the sinister but polite android David. Noomi Rapace is watch-able but a bit flat as the lead role. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall make for an entertaining but big-mouthed double act. And the way they cop it was very gross-out as there was a lot of in-your-face (literally) creature action. Although suspense in these moments would have been welcome. The exploration of the alien pyramid was enjoyable on a whole because of stunning visuals that welcome 3D with open arms. The holograms of the Engineers were very well presented in leading the characters to the story. When the ickiness began, it was pleasingly grotesque, but not shocking, in the way it could and should have been for a 15 film. Although that factor is picked up very well in a later scene with Shaw on the medi-scanner in a "pregnancy" scene that was horrific and scarring in the sheer amount of blood that was involved. But I like that bit a lot, because it gave Prometheus a backbone where it lacked in true horror. I don't want to drone on, so I'll say the ending was satisfactory in that it showed us the "Space Jockey" ship and pilots chair from Alien, but it was a bit disappointing that the film ends with a fight between tentacled monster and Engineer, like something out of King Kong vs Godzilla. The ending with Shaw and David going off in to space to find answers is obviously setting up a sequel, without promising one. Sensible, and Scott ends with a scene which was so utterly brilliant in its sense of giving the audience satisfaction it almost gets a 10 for the entire film. The Xenomorph appears in all its glory! Which was a fan-pleasing appearance especially since Scott stated it probably wouldn't appear. It's a perfect ending scene, and made me long for a sequel more than I could say. Overall I loved Prometheus, it really lived up to its status as a prequel to one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made, but sadly doesn't quite level with it. For the sequel, if it is made, an upping in suspense and true gross-out horror would be the driving force to get a 10/10. BUT DON'T TONE DOWN THE VISUALS, SCOTT! THEY WERE BRILLIANT!
  29. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked this movie. There are some loop holes in the story but this is also Sci-fi and therefore they dont have to play by the rules. Thats the whole point. The characters are rough and kinda cheesily written in some parts. Lets face it though have you ever herd of an alien movie winning an oscar for best writing or acting. Its an entertaining Sci-fi ride with great visuals and someI liked this movie. There are some loop holes in the story but this is also Sci-fi and therefore they dont have to play by the rules. Thats the whole point. The characters are rough and kinda cheesily written in some parts. Lets face it though have you ever herd of an alien movie winning an oscar for best writing or acting. Its an entertaining Sci-fi ride with great visuals and some stuff to send chills down your spine. See it for what it is and you will enjoy this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.