6.5

1. Sep 7, 2012
    I' am a huge sci-fi and Alien movie geek. So when I heard Ridley Scott was making a new sci-fi movie, you can guess my excitement. I never go into movies expecting it to be flawed or the next Godfather. It is a great futuristic thriller. A story of a group of scientist on a quest to meeting humanity's makers that goes terribly wrong. Noomi Rapace does a great job as the leading role whichI' am a huge sci-fi and Alien movie geek. So when I heard Ridley Scott was making a new sci-fi movie, you can guess my excitement. I never go into movies expecting it to be flawed or the next Godfather. It is a great futuristic thriller. A story of a group of scientist on a quest to meeting humanity's makers that goes terribly wrong. Noomi Rapace does a great job as the leading role which has a great resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's role. Micheal Fassbender is just perfect as the android we all know. Charlize Theron gives a great performance as the heartless illusive antagonist of the movie. These three lead characters give the only worth while performances. The rest, I could care less about because obviously they where put as "extras" to be killed with no character development at all. The story seemed very interesting which is the key objective for me. The story has plot holes but so did 1979's Alien and those were eventually explain. Overall I enjoyed watching this film, Definitely worth seeing. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Way too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained inWay too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained in it. An earlier review by the user Taantric does a thorough job of pointing out all of the flaws. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2012
    Out of respect for Ridley Scott, I award this film a 5. If the film did not have high-end effects and production design, it would seem at amateurish as those B-movie black white serial sci-fi adventures that were re-shown on early TV during the 50's and which I then found too corny to watch. Where did they go wrong? And why the sop to the great Alien film series at the end of this film?Out of respect for Ridley Scott, I award this film a 5. If the film did not have high-end effects and production design, it would seem at amateurish as those B-movie black white serial sci-fi adventures that were re-shown on early TV during the 50's and which I then found too corny to watch. Where did they go wrong? And why the sop to the great Alien film series at the end of this film? A real disappointment. I usually trust Roger Ebert's reviews: why the "100" review from him? Expand
  4. dz9
    Jun 17, 2012
    This movie doesn't necessarily have anything intrinsically wrong with it, but it doesn't do too much right either. But what does it do right? I'm sure everyone has heard of the amazing visuals, which it does have, but it does not necessarily make this a good movie. Also, the movie has some outstanding performance such as Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. Even theThis movie doesn't necessarily have anything intrinsically wrong with it, but it doesn't do too much right either. But what does it do right? I'm sure everyone has heard of the amazing visuals, which it does have, but it does not necessarily make this a good movie. Also, the movie has some outstanding performance such as Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. Even the main character, however a little obnoxious at time, shows up to the plate. But the acting is a double sided sword fore outside of those characters, the rest of the cast were Missing In Action, either feeling cliched or irrelevant. Bad acting isn't the only thing which plagues this movie. This movie doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. In a few scenes it sets up to be a intelligent thought provoking cinema begging the questions of life itself, but it never lets you, the audience, ponder fore it seems to have all the answers. Skip a few scenes down and the movie feels like a classic horror film with cast members being picked off one by one. Skip a few more scenes down and the movie feels like a quarantine horror flick.. These shifts in story directions never mix well and the result feels like a story that never truly has an arch. Meaning that this movie never seems to "pick up" and hit its climax, so it feels like you are watching scene after scene with no true direction to them. In the end: In Prometheus, you have some excellent acting mixed with some bad, stunning visuals, an extremely interesting premise, but added into a 3 hour movie that never hits a story arch or climax making the movie extremely, well... boring. Go see this movie if you are an Alien fan or if you are bored and the ticket is only $5, and embrace yourself for an only slightly above average cinema. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2012
    A great film with lovely visuals, made all the better by cinematic 3D. The film does a wonderful job of explaining where the titular Aliens from the "Aliens" franchise came from without being too explicit. The computer generated imagery makes every scene awesome, terrifying, or disgusting in ways the old props never could. The one flaw (though after this many films I suppose you could callA great film with lovely visuals, made all the better by cinematic 3D. The film does a wonderful job of explaining where the titular Aliens from the "Aliens" franchise came from without being too explicit. The computer generated imagery makes every scene awesome, terrifying, or disgusting in ways the old props never could. The one flaw (though after this many films I suppose you could call it a theme) is that the Weyland-Yutani research team is (and must be) incredibly inept in order for the events of the plot to unfold. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    Ridley has his eyes on the prize, but they're too big for his stomach.

Ridley has his eyes on the prize, but they're too big for his stomach.

In the thirty-three years since Ridley Scott's suspense-filled masterclass Alien, the franchise has lent itself to all-out warfare in the hands of James Cameron, a misguided hark back to the original courtesy of David Fincher and a pair of lamentable crossovers with Arnie's pal. Now the man who spawned the series has returned with a standalone film occurring before the events of all others, attempting to shine a light on the origins of the creature, the man infatuated by it and humanity itself.

In the year 2089 archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and partner Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) have discovered a cave painting similar in design to many others found around the world. The pictures are interpreted as a star map, and an invitation to humans to venture forth into the depths of space and meet their maker. So that's exactly what the couple does. In the company of uptight mission director Meredith (Charlize Theron), android David (Michael Fassbender) and the elderly, mysterious Mr. Weyland (Guy Pierce), they board the good ship Prometheus. Upon arrival, the team has their perception of human history and spirituality rocked to its core.

Ridley Scott was right to make the clear distinction between 'prequel' and 'standalone' in this instance, as Prometheus most definitely falls into the latter category. Chestbursters, facehuggers and acid bleeding xenomorphs are, for the most part, replaced with ancestral beings and foreign substances. Simply put, suspense and thrills are put on the backburner, while typical traits of intelligent sci-fi (issues of spirituality, the presence of greater beings and man's insignificance in the grand scheme of the omega) form the crux of the plot.

With that said, Scott shows he has not lost his touch in delivering to fans of the original what they paid to see. Allusions to the franchise, both subtle and overt, are prevalent throughout, while the scene in which Dr. Shaw is forced to conduct some impromptu surgery matches any moment of his distinguished career in intensity and exhilaration, providing the film's inarguable highlight. Visually speaking, Prometheus astounds, as inspired settings and sweeping, immersive camera-work make it one of those rare films that actually incorporates 3D into the cinematography and not just as a cheap gimmick.

Whether intentional or not, the overriding theme that seems to come out in the wash is that there are some things man is not meant to know. For a film covering two and a half hours not much happens, and its attempt to answer some of the biggest questions posed to mankind gives the impression that it has bitten off more than it can chew, resulting in a cyclical narrative that reveals very little. Indeed, it may be the whole point of the film that an understanding of our purpose in life is so far beyond the realms of a human's mental capacity that to even try to comprehend such a universal semiotic would be the ultimate exercise in futility. And so, the criticism comes not from the film's ambiguity and inability to explain the unexplainable, but rather from the expectations it establishes for the viewer, only to meander around the big questions without directly addressing them.

Maybe we're being a little hasty. Maybe, in the midst of all the pre-release hype, we've overlooked the fact that this film has a very sequel- friendly ending, strongly implying that our discovery of how and why has just begun. And therein lies the conflicting nature of Prometheus. Some will call it pointless, some will hail it as the pinnacle of cinematic literature and some may just have to wait and see if this film really is the disjointed, identity-conflicted slice of science fiction it appears to be in its own vacuum, or merely the preface of a potentially epic series.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*
  7. Jun 23, 2012
    Good movie. Not going to be a classic, but I don't regret paying to see it in theaters. There just wasn't anything that was surprising about the plot. After the first half hour, I would guesstimate that 80% of the rest of the movie was extremely predictable.
  8. Dec 25, 2014
    The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
  9. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  10. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this film, but the movie suffers from very apparent re-writes after re-writes. Too many hands spoiled the pie. Prometheus had no clue where it was going and there was too much reveal literally at the start and the various trailers. I don't think Ridley Scott has lost his touch, but I think he's at that age where he's unable to fend of annoying studio executives who demand too many changes or are pushing for a deadline.

Alien is one of the greatest movies ever made due to its simplistic story line, same goes for the action packed Aliens. The movie left you with a sense of wonderment, surprise, letting your imagination run wild. Prometheus straddled between both, and failed miserably, part suspense, part pop corn, leave your brain at the door summer block buster, the story did not know where to go, and worst of all, spoon fed the audience like a newborn.

Once again though, Michael Fassbender was awesome, Charlize Theron does what Charlize Theron does best and a rather interesting Ray Stevenson. Unfortunately Noomi Rapace is no Sigourney Weaver and I blame the script more than her acting as her character was...rather dull.

While this movie will probably make bucketloads of money, I feel it's a rather unfortunate let down for all Aliens fans out there. Oh, and by the way, it is an Aliens Movie, it just doesn't know it yet.
  11. Jun 23, 2012
    Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer,Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, would appear on screen and kill him with a stove pipe hat. And, Charlezzzzz you need to step it up girl. Take the money and run only lasts so long. Bad, bad, bad..... Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2012
    After all the hype, does Prometheus live up to it? Because I walked out of the theater feeling as if I was unable to determine if I liked it or not, Iâ
  13. JYT
    Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott tried to push the limits from previous Sci-Fi/Horror done before and in all directions at the same time: more picturesques, going further with the creation of manking, the horror of the self-surgery, smotther special effects, etc... Charlize Theron plays very well also. Good to watch.
  14. Jun 13, 2012
    If you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by aIf you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by a talented cast, the characters are all one dimensional at best. Although they hint that there may be more personality hidden below the surface, no actions are made to support any evidence of existence. There isn't a single fighter among the entire group and the heroine's unrealistic amount of luck in surviving a never ending onslaught of dangerous scenarios gives this an almost a Disney-like quality (in a bad way, i.e. John Carter) despite a complete and utter lack of reasons why we as the viewer would want to relate to, emulate, sympathize with, or watch this character. Her bravado is poorly paired with displays of lower-level aptitude, which is simply sad for a scientist. Other things to note are this film plays long (2 hours feels like 4) and anyone who's seen Aliens will no doubt find this (alleged prequel) to be an insult to its' memory. However, if you're looking for signature Ridley Scott shots, special effects and sequences there are some visually appealing parts of the film that make up for about 5 of the 127 minutes of the movie. If you're on the fence, watch the trailer and if you still want to see some nonsense for the purpose of amusement, go watch The Dictator- it's ridiculous as well, but in a good way and funny too. Expand
  15. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  16. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.
  18. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show noAs someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  19. Jun 15, 2012
    I can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will notI can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will not discuss so I don't spoil it, but the last scene I believe was thrown in their to please fans or to stir up emotions for a sequel nothing more, nothing less. The film is very slow paced but fascinating and captivating at the same time, your looking forward to some action happening. The film does not have any immediate action sequences nor is a action/adventure or horror film. It is mostly scifi film about finding our creators and finding the meaning of our existence and I found it dry and lack luster but the after I left I couldn't help but think the message of the film is essential and it fascinated me. A great film for many but some may find it boring. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  21. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  22. Jun 14, 2012
    This one tries to evoke a bit more of Alien rather than the action movie Aliens. Well acted, put together fairly well and logically, and beautiful and believable, though in the end Ridley Scott doesn't quite nail it. The first death(s) make the entire movie worth watching for us, though, by themselves, and in the end, we enjoyed the movie without necessarily loving the movie.
  23. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Truly EPIC. This is one of those films that I wished so badly that I was part of the Prometheus crew. Reminds me of when I was young when I wished I was a part of the lord of the rings and star wars universe. It's a strange feeling. But watch it NOW, in cinemas in 3D: 3D is really good like Avatar!!
  24. Oct 13, 2012
    The plot is not tight enough. Questions are left unanswered and some of them are the big ones. But all of this can be shadowed by the film's artistic visuals and the constant thrills that it gives. Prometheus is not perfect nor excellent. It is just good.
  25. Dec 8, 2013
    Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
  26. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myselfThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2014
    I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
  28. Jun 17, 2012
    Prometheus is a pretty good film, but some of the undeveloped characters and "plot holes you could drive a Death Star through" really let down Fassbender's superb performance and some of the best visual production I've ever seen.
  29. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.