6.5

1. Jun 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing. This movie is so terrible I find enjoyment in pointing out it's flaws. Obviously the script was so poorly written that they made up for it by vague implications of philosophical questions about existence. In the hopes that their audience was too high from illicit drugs, and mesmerized from the graphics departments high budget visual effects to notice. The acting was either so over the top, or so emotionally dry they had to play a portion of a good movie to fool you into believing they made a good movie. Although the beginning I found rather whimsical in it's introduction of rolling landscapes, and a waterfall. I now find tacky, and disappointing. The characters or scientists prove themselves to be nothing more than a bunch of vagrants an eccentric old business man that looks like Johnny Knoxville dressed as an old person found in the closest bar, and put aboard a ship with a robot that apparently runs on chicken wire, paper mache, and tapioca pudding. Nothing scientific happens in this movie other than the occasional add-lib of "Hypothesis" and calling everyone a doctor before they speak to them. Their method of command is nothing less shallow then a group of drunk twenty somethings trying to drink, take drugs, and **** each other. Each person is only capable of making poor life decisions that will inevitably get themselves or someone else killed. Even the aliens weren't consistent as if the writer's could never fully agree on what was actually on the planet, but decided to put their own story in, and not tell anyone until it came to theaters. Every action scene was lame, and anticlimatic that made you wonder why would they do that? Pointlessly leaping over gaps when what you are standing on will slowly shuttle you to solid ground, running in straight lines from falling objects moving in one direction, acting like the dog whisperer to an alien worm nut sack, leaving safety to race a harmless razor sandstorm, opening the door to your dead exorcist geologist co-worker. Ridiculous. On top of it all, the way this movie portrayed itself was like it was groundbreaking on all of your scifi, action, horror movie senses that it was delusional from the fumes of it's own mystical self worth. It was non of these. Sadly, the blatantly obvious undertones of religion, the constant there is going to be another movie implications, and the superficial life questions confused as depth made this movie completely miserable to watch. In fact the only satisfaction I have is from knowing other people think it is as terrible as I do, and be able ridicule it online. Expand
  2. Jun 15, 2012
    The special effects may be splashy, but they serve a brainless horror movie, a third-rate knockoff of Alien. The problem is in the writing, which is clumsy and superficial. The plot suffers from trickery, the dialog is silly, and the characters are preposterous. I expect a science-fiction movie to take some liberties with physics, but I expect the characters to be somewhat believable and the plot to hang together. Extended space travel I can accept better than, say, the ship's low-life captain. This horror movie doesn't raise serious questions about human origins; it merely contrives a way to set up a sequel. If there's a large question to ask, it's what were the movie-makers thinking? Expand
  3. Jun 15, 2012
    Poorly written, a script charred by ambition, leaving a brilliant director to rely on special effects and stunning vistas. Theron is sorrowfully miscast and misused, traipsing around the ships deck as though it were the Parisian catwalks, rendering every minute of her performance a pretense. Rapace is enthused and dedicated, but seems to be the only character that is genuinely effected by the dread around her......towards the end the multiple mini climaxes are collectively anticlimactic, and sadly familiar. Can you outrun a falling spaceship? Do you care? No, not really. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2012
    I think the movie had great ideas about the origins of humanity, and the conflict between creator and created. But There was a serious lack of character development. I didn't really care about anyone, so I wasn't able to go on the emotional or intellectual journey that would have made this movie really great, as was Alien and Aliens . And it's sad because the film is a visual masterpiece. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ridley scott has definitely lost his mind/creativity a long time ago.
    everyone who liked this movie just a little bit, is either lying to themselves or has terrible taste in movies.
    everything in this movie is cliche & the only remotely interesting/relatable character is david. to see more on why this movie sucked watch:
  6. Jun 14, 2012
    I eagerly waited for the movie. I watched the movie without reading any reviewed. I was thoroughly disappointed. I failed to understand why the movie is named Prometheus and what the objective of movie was.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    I have been racking my brain all day contemplating just how this terrible movie could have ever been written, made and released. And what I came up with is drug addiction. Everyone involved in the decision making processes of this movie must have been high, hung over or in withdrawals to allow for so many terrible decisions, ideas, errors and redundancies to be incorporated into one two-hour movie. Talk about the inability to criticise one Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    Prior to watching the premiere of Alien in 1979, I had been to the dentist to have my wisdom teeth removed. Needless to say, I was in an immense amount of pain during the movie, which was compounded by the three camera shot of Harry Dean Stantons' stomach exploding on the dinner table. That moment in time is and always will be favorable branded in my youthful memory. Thirty-two years later, the memory of Prometheus, will unfortunately fade after many happy hour rants and moments of solitary silence of my obvious disappointment about this movie. My disappointment runs so deep that I do not know where to begin about how I feel about the film. Nevertheless, I will do my best to convey my opinion. The movie starts out wonderfully with this colorful other world landscape, which leads to the introduction of one of the "engineers" of human life, and then fades into the future to modern life and its discovery of the past life by present day archeologist's. It is sad to admit, but had the movie ended after the first ten minutes then I would've accepted it as a short film or a long music video. However it didn't end after the first ten minutes; hence the need for this unfavorable review. As in Alien, Aliens and Alien Resurrection, there's a robot. The problem with the robot in Prometheus is that it is an opportunist, which gives it a more human like quality rather a machine like quality. At the beginning of the movie the robot is employed by its programmer, but at the end of the movie, after its employer is all of sudden deceased, the robot decides to switch its allegiance to the only person left alive at the end: the same person whom the robot had tried to kill earlier in the movie. Since when did a robot possess the ability to think on its own to the point of being concerned with self preservation. it's a robot. Or is it? Another problem with the movie is that there's an intentional implanting of an alien species for no apparent reason. The robot finds the beginning of a possible alien life form, who then slips this life form into someone's drink, and then this someone drinks the drink, and then this someone has sex with someone else, which causes that someone to become pregnant. The person that is initially infected by the disease becomes sick and dies. The person that becomes pregnant is informed that she is almost at the beginning of her second trimester, which prompts her to logically question how could that be? I'm still asking myself that same question. This revelation of course causes her to take matters into her own hands, as she so characteristically does throughout the movie. Free from the baby alien, or so we think, the victim or the protagonist, you choose, now discovers that her employer has secretly "stowed away, " and has plans to meet the sole surviving engineer of life. So with his posse, the money man ventures into the dragons lair; only to die quickly along with everyone else. Which brings me to my other point of contention with the movie - death happens often and quickly towards the end of the film There's the one, two, three, four, five punch by the sole surviving engineer. Then there's a suicide mission by a very important person on the ship, along with two of his shipmates, and I'm not talking about the Heaven's Gate Cult. Then there's a certain headless someone, whom proposes a merger of the two opposing camps. How convenient on his behalf, since he no longer has a head, but how he is able to make this proposal without a head is mind boggling to begin with. But it does, and well...

When I first started writing this review, I had given the movie four out of ten, but I'm now lowering that to three out of ten, because I've digested more of the movie over the past thirty minutes, and the taste has become more rancid. An afternoon rental at best.
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    Embarrassed: The word that flooded my mind while watching this dismaying display of brain dead cinema by the director of seminal sci-fi works like Blade Runner and Alien. Embarrassed for the Alien franchise the film is supposed to be predicated upon and is now forever soiled because of Prometheus. Embarrassed for the script, seemingly scrawled on a few sheets of used toilet paper by a TV writer who should stay the hell away from the big screen. Embarrassed for the actors who will surely endure many-a dinner party jibe at their expense from peers bemused at their self-demeaning displays in this fatuous film. Embarrassed for myself for wasting 2 hours of my life that I will never get back and countless brain cells likely fried in the process of trying to fathom the stupidity on display before my eyes in this film. EMBARRASSED for the human race, that we've apparently stooped so low as to accept this kind of egregious schlock as legitimate entertainment. I'm even embarrassed for the **** Irruminator' monster that was obviously plagiarised from some 10-year-old's scribble book. (*It will become clear upon watching the film).

Prometheus is flawed on so many and varied levels that it's almost an admirable effort to manage such a confluence of poor film-making in one, single piece of work. How this film went so wrong when having so much going for it, is a question for the ages.

Unless it's eventually revealed Prometheus was an industry in-joke, aimed at poking fun at the dullard dolt demographic the industry now predominantly panders to, then I cannot see this film becoming anything more than a byword for abjectly bad cinema.

3/10 (*because no film is a 1 and there are some worse than Prometheus... SOME).
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    Believe the negative reviews. This movie's plot makes no sense. It features terrible acting from big name actors, unbelievably bad old man make up, and a complete lack of suspense. Go watch the original Alien, with its outdated effects, and enjoy.
  11. Jun 13, 2012
    As a big fan of Alien and, to a lesser extent, Aliens, I can't help but find this movie a travesty. As a prequel, it tries to reinvent a classic and fails miserably. Even taken as a standalone effort, it looks beautiful, but it's completely overshadowed by a pretentious, ponderous and incoherent plot that, in the end, amounts to little more than utter nonsense. Extremely disappointing! I've got some advice for you Ridley: keep it simple, stupid. You aren't as smart as you want everyone to think you are, not by a long shot! Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2012
    If you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by a talented cast, the characters are all one dimensional at best. Although they hint that there may be more personality hidden below the surface, no actions are made to support any evidence of existence. There isn't a single fighter among the entire group and the heroine's unrealistic amount of luck in surviving a never ending onslaught of dangerous scenarios gives this an almost a Disney-like quality (in a bad way, i.e. John Carter) despite a complete and utter lack of reasons why we as the viewer would want to relate to, emulate, sympathize with, or watch this character. Her bravado is poorly paired with displays of lower-level aptitude, which is simply sad for a scientist. Other things to note are this film plays long (2 hours feels like 4) and anyone who's seen Aliens will no doubt find this (alleged prequel) to be an insult to its' memory. However, if you're looking for signature Ridley Scott shots, special effects and sequences there are some visually appealing parts of the film that make up for about 5 of the 127 minutes of the movie. If you're on the fence, watch the trailer and if you still want to see some nonsense for the purpose of amusement, go watch The Dictator- it's ridiculous as well, but in a good way and funny too. Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2012
    Piece of ****
    They say it is a prequel, but you might has well seen a Harry Potter movie where a alien prances out of the woods at the end. Also, the aliens look like penises.
  14. Jun 12, 2012
    I finally saw Prometheus last night and boy was I completely disappointed. For a movie directed by Ridley Scott and set in the universe of Aliens, the movie was a complete letdown. A movie without an effective narration, which this had, is just a waste of 2 hours sitting in the dark. My biggest qualm with Prometheus is the fact that nothing was reasonably explained, for example, who were the 'Engineers', and why did Michael Fassbender's character, David, intentionally infect Logan Marshall-Green's character, Charlie Holloway. Idris Elba's character, Janek, with no explanation and completely out of nowhere, reveals all and concludes that the planet is a storehouse for weapons of mass destruction - it seems like he pulled that one out of his ass. The movie gets to a point where the questions that you want answered you no longer care about because it hasn't effectively pulled the audience into the story, and all you want is for the 2 hours to just pass. At the end Noomi Rapace's character, Elizabeth Shaw, wants David to take her to where the 'Engineers' came from - which is an obvious setup for a sequel - but after about 2 hours, I no longer care if she ever achieves that. All I'm hoping for now is for James Cameron to step in to the director chair and elevate the sequel to Prometheus like he did with Alien. Expand
  15. Jun 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very , very, very dissapointing. Yes it looked amazing for the most part and maybe the plot makes sense if you dissect everything and analyse it, but I doubt it. I really wanted to like this movie due to its connection with the Alien universe but it just didnt engage me at all. I love the way the Captain figured everything out all of a sudden and without a second thought decided to commit suicide along with the remainder of his crew. WTF. Expand
  16. Jun 12, 2012
    The special effects & 3D are ok, but the storyline is slack and muddled, unlike Alien. The characters are poorly developed: Charlize Theron is totally wasted and Noomi Rapace is nowhere close to her performances in "The Girl Who" (Swedish version). Michael Fassbender lamely reprises Hal from 2001 and/or Ash from Alien. Really disappointing.
  17. Jun 12, 2012
    Acting in this movie is bad, there is an uninteresting plot full of senseless and illogical stuff where some of it it's based on premise which is of course nothing new to sci-fi genre. We have an alien DNA, besides all those other crap seen and mentioned - oh come on...

Nothing new there judging by today's Hollywood standards.

However the thing that really saddened me the most was
    the unstoppable raping of HR Giger's design which is obviously something that in the mind of Ridley Scott should make this film looking interesting, looking ''alien'' . But he pretty much failed there as well. Why? Because he already used it once when he used it with the purpose in the first alien.
    Trying to repeat that effect is just silly and it can easily be compared with what Lucas did with raping SW saga.
    Regarding that ''Bumblebee'' design of Prometheus I wont even talk about. That kind of design totally doesn't fits this movie.

It seems that even the greatest directors don't know when to stop.

I'm giving this movie 1/10 only because the first 3 minutes of this movie were very interesting and original which confirms the fact that a good movie can still be made.
  18. Jun 12, 2012
    Appallingly poor big budget movie. Sub standard visual effects. Sub standard makeup FX. Fassbender/Theron are the only decent actors giving interesting performances here the rest are wasted/very poor with the limited dialog they are given. Apart from Theron/Fassbender the other actors could be anyone they are so average/bland & do not even belong in the movies.

Story is a jumbled mess &
    incomprehensible at times. Approx 90 mins of the running length consists of actors sprouting unmemorable/confusing dialog in boring darkly lite locations (80% of the movie is in underground tunnels on LV223).

Avoid at all costs this is so poor you would stuggle to sit through it all on TV in a few years its way below Alien3 as a movie going experience & atthe same poor level as Alien4.

Shockingly bad overall & has some of the most ridiculous action scenes/fights ever created (many are so bad you will laugh out loud which is certainly not the film makers intent!!).
  19. Jun 11, 2012
    Terrible move. No suspense whatsoever. I kept waiting for the movie to get exciting but it never happened. The storyline stupid. No explanations of anything that was happening. I could barely tell it was a prequel to Alien.
  20. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a Greek Titan punished by Zeus for playing a trick on him. The trick was hiding bull's bones in glistening fat (something inedible inside a pleasing exterior). When Zeus found out, he commanded Prometheus be chained to a rock for all time, where his liver is eaten daily by an eagle, only for it to regenerate overnight, due to his immortality.

Ridley Scott has delivered a similar trick; a film with a pleasing exterior: beautifully-staged trailers and plenty of talk about what a great film this will be. Ridley should be similarly punished for having delivered such bullâ
  21. Jun 11, 2012
    Although visually wonderful to behold, the story is downright dreadful and dull. People who expect a prequel to "Alien" will be disappointed, even if you just want to see a decent scifi-horror-flick you might leave the theatre dissatisfied. All of the characters seem to suffer from the infamous "character in a horror movie disease": They got the depth of cardboard cutouts and their actions are ranging from inconsiderate to insanely stupid. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Being a fan of the Aliens movies (particularly the first two), I was very interested in this movie and made sure not to spoil myself before watching it, but it turned out to be a disappointment. Visually, though, it's impressive: the cinematography and the effects are amazing. I'll try and not give any spoilers.

The characters are just too shallow and the crew, generally, so
    unrealistically incompetent as scientists and explorers from what you would expect for members of a scientific endeavour in journey to another star system, they just seem like a bunch of ordinary guys with little education put together on a bus, pardon, ship. Given the scientific, religious and philosophical implications of their mission (involving the origins of life), they respond with virtually no interest or criticism in an attitude best described as "just doing my job". The expedition itself has little planning, organization, leadership, discipline, procedure and protocol for extraterrestrial exploration, sometimes with a complete lack of common sense precaution, let alone a scientific method or approach that is to be expected, up to and including downright childish behaviour. However, the technology and gadgets available are amazing, which in turn allow some excellent visual effects... Throughout the movie, the findings and implications are rarely discussed or very poorly so, which is shocking, given what they encounter. Characters aren't really explored that much, and one can only assume their "general motivations", which seem shallow and bland. The performances of the actors aren't particularly noteworthy either, except for Fassbender, though it isn't exactly stellar. Additionally, there's the occasional scientific mistake or inconsistency here and there, which lead to very awkward plausibility. Also, the suspense/horror scenes don't have much tension to them, and the soundtrack was completely forgettable to me.

The philosophical questions the story poses are only very thinly hinted and left in the air in a not very particularly interesting fashion.

In short:
    If you've seen and like the Aliens, you will get something out that universe with this, but it can come with a lot of frustration depending on your patience. As a sci-fi movie, this is not a particularly intelligent one and the visual presentation is the only thing to stand out.
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    This was a bad movie and it had nothing to do fitting into the Alien(s) universe or not. The story made little to no sense but worst of all the characters were idiotic. This trillion dollar expedition staffed with what we presume to be elite & eager SCIENTISTS must have spent years training and planning, at least two years in hibernation travelling billions and billions of miles to make first contact with an alien civilization no earthling has ever encountered before, and what happens when they finally arrive at their destination? They act like a bunch of college kids on a road trip. Let's get laid. Let's get lost in cave system that we just completely mapped out and then immediately get high. Let's remove our helmets and breathe the air, because heck why not? Let's do no science and touch every possible slimy unknown substance we can and take it all back to the ship without any sort of quarantine procedure. In fact, screw it, let's just turn around and go back home.

Cabin in the Woods had way more humour and suspense and even John Carter was a more entertaining sci-fi movie.
  24. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ridley Scott is a great director, but he appears to be perfectly capable of making awful movies. Prometheus's problems range from absurdly predictable plot to characters acting in such a stupid manner that horror movie cheerleaders would be appalled. There are many instances were the internal logic of the story breakdown or never develop at all. The horror scenes are not suspenseful, with jump scares that you can predict to the second and blinding stupidity. Combine that with large amounts of pointless religious symbolism, no character development, no emotional connection and an ending that borders on offensive to the viewers intelligence (the main character knowing leaves the planet on a ship that contains a bio-weapon that can cause extinction with the explicit purpose of landing on a populated planet) and you have yourself a bad, boring movie. I cannot give it a lower score, however, because the acting is generally good (its the writing that fails) and the movie contains one of my favorite death scenes ever. Expand
  25. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be warned, this film is very stupid. Highly intelligent alien beings created all life on earth yet are stupid enough to revisit ages later and leave us clues and directions to their moon base so we can go there and destroy them. This is a trillion dollar endeavor to reach this moon and this rag tag group of characters is the best Peter Weyland could come up with to see this mission succeed? State of the art probes that can't detect worms or mutated snake aliens. An android with the ability to see into the future. How else would david know that by poisoning a crew member with alien goo he would copulate with his barren girlfriend an she would conceive an alien facehugger? This film has more plot holes than swiss cheese. Since when are archaeologists also biologists and skilled enough surgeons to operate advanced surgical equipment on themselves while a squid tears at their insides? Still not impressed? Evolution only takes minutes and hours in this film, not years or eons. One final spoiler: the alien life cycle has no incubation/developement stage and produces full grown xenomorphs that explode out of the host body, no chestbursters here. Very disappointing film indeed! Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    Ridley Scott essentially remade "Alien," this time without the suspense or intelligence. I could list off the top of my head 10 unnecessary plot elements, most of which are rendered poorly. While the visuals are, at times, striking, the movie was, overall, a crushing disappointment.
  27. Jun 11, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of early Ridley Scott sci-fi. Bladerunner and Alien have been two of my top ten movies of all time, for over two decades. It's probably because of this that Prometheus failed so hugely for me. As soon as the first preview was released, I was amped for this film.I watched every preview, Ridley Scott interview, and pre-release item I could find. I knew I had "expectations" that few directors could meet--including my all-time favorite. Now, it seems, I cannot find five redeeming things to say about the film without thinking of 85 complaints.What was the purpose of the Prometheus "God" in the beginning sequence, drinking the "alien Koolaid?" Why were the "gods" angry with the "earthlings? Why couldn't the creature designers pick and stick with ONE alien creature design--instead of the squid-vagina-penis-cobra-Alien 3 morphed creature combos? The original Alien design was so perfect, so basic, so original; it was as if Scott couldn't decide on how to represent that concept in the "pre-story" so he just went with ALL the ideas. What was the point of making the beautiful Bishop re-dux robot character, David, an evil-plotting-alien-spawning bad guy? How many "homages" does one director get in one movie? There was the 2001 Space Odyssey -bicycle-basketball scene, the John WIlliams' Star Wars theme music. .... The narrative is splintered, incongruent, and non-sensical. The special effects canNOT save the film from its many contradictions and easy horror ploys. Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually stunning, yet the underlying story lacked futuristic plausibility and authenticity for the created realm. Initially I thought this was going to be this year's "best movie" despite the terrific competition, but unfortunately the movie left me scratching my head way to often. There's so many things I can nit pick to death about this movie that I can only rate it as "a good watch". There's so many questions I wish I could ask the writers, the director, and producers. Here are a few of the things that irked me most... (1) when reaching the planet, why wasn't the planet observed from space first to decipher the best place(s) to land and investigate? They should have treated this moment to be similar to how we in our present time treat Mars exploration. Study the geology of the planet and decipher where best to investigate further. Instead we got an immediate surface cruise with the hope of stumbling across an interesting feature to suggest that intelligent life exists/ed. (2) The removal of the space suit head gear inside the cavern just because some readings reported the atmosphere was similar to earth's air was extremely stupid and unrealistic. The risks... (a) unknown viral contaminates within the atmosphere that may not of been capable of being read by the scanner could have made the scientists deadly sick, any smart scientist wouldn't have risked that possibility, (b) any contaminates the crew themselves might have introduced into the alien atmosphere would have been equally foolish. Just think back to the history of our own world, when Europeans discovered America the sicknesses that got passed to the indigenous people were huge. The fact that all the other exploratory crew simply followed along after the male scientist took his off bothered me... was that a form of peer pressure or mass stupidity? (3) The Biologist and Geologist scientists. Part 1: When the crew discovers the dead alien body why is it alright for the crew to let the biologist guy walk away? Wouldn't the study of that corpse be one of the reasons he was brought along in the first place? Secondly, the Geologist guy, how is it that the guy who's supposedly the expert on understanding the cavern and the one who's in charge of the mapping drones, how is he the one who gets lost in trying to get out of the cavern? Plus, these two characters had the ability to stay in constant contact with both the ship and the rest of the exploratory crew while making their way back out. Not-to-mention, the Captain of the Prometheus was able to watch all of their exact positions within the cavern while being in constant contact with them. Part 2: These 2 characters were so scared of the dead alien body that they left the rest of the exploratory crew to get back to the ship, they also showed that same attitude when they were asked to check out a mapping drone which was signaling that an active life was near it, then when they find themselves back at the initial chamber they decide to have a look around? The biologist guy even decides to reach out in awe when being confronted by a worm-like creature, funny considering he was freaked out by the possibility of encountering something alive just a bit earlier and now he's all stupidly curious. Where did the character consistency go? (4) The investigating method the exploratory team had once the sealed chamber was opened. I'm surprised that the chamber wasn't treated more like a mix between a crime scene and a decontamination zone. Instead you had the characters simply walking around in awe, touching and handling a preserved alien head with their space suits and the AI character messing around and touching **** without using some sort of sample collecting tool(s). Plus, the fact that black goo substance was seen on the top(s) of some of these containers was that not enough of a reason to be more cautious about breathing in the air within that room? (5) The AI's decision to open the alien container inside the ship. First there's no evidence of him running any scans on it, which implies he couldn't have know the potential harm that could have been done to the atmosphere within the ship. He simply pulls out the vase like container from cool storage and he begins opening it. He even eventually cracks open the glass-like inner container to expose the liquid inside. What was a supposedly super smart AI thinking? That action endangered everyones lives within the ship, even his creators. Then there is the question of what happened to the rest of that sample? Did he destroy the rest after taking the amount on his finger to the male scientist or did he keep the rest of it. If he kept it, how did he prevent it from oozing like the black substance was doing in the chamber? BTW, the fact that the black substance was oozing out of the vases inside that chamber, does that imply that all of those glass-like containers were broken, except for the one he took with him? Expand
  29. G3R
    Jun 11, 2012
    The cgi is beautiful. The story is an old one, told many times before. What a waste of a great opportunity. I wouldn't waste my money on the theater with this one.
  30. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. when ridley scott does a movie well, it's beautiful! i loved aliens, gladiator, blade runner, but prometheus was a big disappointment mostly because of the script...

ridley scott's signature is his ability in depicting the vastness of or closeness of an environment, the intricate detailing and grandeur of of a scene, and creating an impactful ATMOSPHERE; i didn't really get much of that in this movie. also, there was very little character development so you didn't become involved with anyone; i wanted to learn more about charlize theron's character but it never happened, the altruism of the captain and crew to sacrifice their lives wasn't developed so i didn't feel any empathy, even with the main character ('shaw' noomi rapace) i didn't get a sense of her motivation for her search? the only character that had any character development was david the android, but his motivations were not clear either, although it seemed there was a "pinochio" metaphor going on..and is he supposed to have emotions or not, confusing? and the whole scene and aftermath of the pregnancy and self operation, was terrible! it didn't add to the story nor was it believable how she could do it awake and then start running right after? (oh, yeah medical technology i guess...whatever...)

overall a let down. wait for video.
  31. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    Could have been a great film, but riddled with story holes, poor character involvement & development, awful dialogue ... typical for SciFi-Channel quality but not for a film that had a $120-million budget. So disappointing. And Ebert's sell-out review is disgusting....did he even watch the Alien series? He didn't even criticize this film for any of the plot flaws or terrible acting.
  32. Jun 11, 2012
    Dreadful. Ridley Scott has harvested all the best bits from the previous Alien films and jumbled them all up together to make a clumsy hotchpotch of a film that tarnishes his record. Some of the dialogue is embarrassing. The action is tedious, I was bored after about 30 minutes. The story is infact quite dull. Wait til it's on TV one Christmas, see something else unless you enjoy disappointment. Expand
  33. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a spectacular disappointment. The pictures are pretty, but that's it. The characters are paper thin. Their motivations are never explored. Everyone does really stupid counter-intuitive things that leave the audience groaning in disbelief. It assaults any sense of disbelief by continually ejecting you from the movie with an incongruous plot device. Science fiction should be smart about science, there should be internal logic. This movie isn't scientifically fact checked at all (the half a billion miles from earth that Theron says they have travelled, puts them near Jupiter, not another solar system - which would have been an incredibly easy thing to check... but it isn't). And that's just the beginning of the disgrace (flamethrowers work without oxygen, a woman runs around after having her stomach muscles cut, medical machinery is gender specific, video camera's cannot record, there is no gps to find missing team members although they are wonderfully display in HD mapped holograms... and on and on... it seems to go out of its way to be stupid). Science is treated as magic and smart scientists as people with "faith - not facts" in science with wonderful responses like "I choose to believe" when asked for scientific evidence that begins a journey costing a trillion dollars. These are scientists... you know people who spend their whole life looking for facts. But in our story, the main scientist doesn't present facts, we the audience (and the Peter Weyland the financier) must just accept her word that she might be right because she has faith. Peter Weyland pays for everything, secretly wakes up on the ship, goes to meet his maker and is summarily killed. Wow... Guy Pearce has about as much screen time as the aliens do. Groan.The musical score is turgid, just doesn't fit and repeats far too often. All in all, it's the worst Scott movie I have seen by far and is most certainly the most expensive flop I've ever seen. Stick to the viral movies on youtube... they are far more interesting. Expand
  34. Jun 10, 2012
    This movie is so incredibly atrocious that it's hard to put into words just how bad it is!

The story is laughable, the character development is non-existent, the pseudo-science claptrap is intolerable. It is a hateful pastiche of the Alien films with other elements stolen from any recent sci fi you can think of. The dialogue is cringe-worthy in the extreme - just embarrassing. There is
    exposition delivered at every possible opportunity.

Going against evolution and having humans made by a creator means you're starting with by wiping out our knowledge of science, which strangely won't appeal to many sci-fi fans! Yet if you're going down this route, don't use DNA matching with the engineers as evidence, as it quickly begs the question, what about the DNA similarities with our evolutionary cousins? The man who wrote this tosh is clearly an ignoramus - best start with a basic understanding of science if you plan to write sci-fi!

I left the cinema feeling extremely disappointed and just plain angry that I wasted hours of my life watching such drivel. It makes me sick to see the great talents of the visual effects artists wasted - not to mention the gargantuan sums of money that it must have cost. I have lost all respect for Ridley Scott, and I hope this pile of offal fades quickly into the obscurity of failure and doesn't besmirch the incredible legacy of Alien and Aliens.

Read the Forbes review for a pretty spot-on summary of its failings:
  35. Jun 10, 2012
    "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money."
    Save your money. Watch it on DVD some day when you've run out of things do, your future self will hate you for it. I know you're a fan, you loved the last movies, you like bad movies that others don't get, sci fi movies, AVP, ...trust me this movie is dumb, full of Swiss cheese-wiz and pathetic symbolism. It's like that last
    season of LOST... Expand
  36. Jun 10, 2012
    Poor attempt at cobbling together a new mythology. Good sci-fi is rare; this wasn't even close. While alien movies ranged from pure terror, ego-driven, vain militaristic blends and various other facets, they were at least focused. This movie's lofty ideals execute themselves so badly that one wonders if the director had gotten too familiar with his intent that he assumed others seeing this would simply see his cohesive sweeping grandness that probably resides in head alone. Not so. Director's costly error. Expand
  37. Jun 10, 2012
    The movie cannot live up to hype. It is asinine, imbecilic, z-grade, cut-rate schlock. It's the SPECIES of our era. A groaner of a dud of a flop.
  38. Jun 10, 2012
    empty and pretentious all at once! there must be a better version out there than this one, i.e. the director's cut. otherwise, how could one make a movie out of such an empty and crappy script?

multiple discontinuities, no character development other than that of the android, so many contradictions, blah blah blah.

what a waste of $12.
  39. Jun 10, 2012
    Well the marketing previews showed us nothing sort of like PT Barnum with his EXITorium. And when we finally got to see the movie there was a reason they showed us nothing. It's moronic and I am being kind. Just a waste ot time and money. They promised us nothing and that is what we got. Avoid.
  40. Jun 10, 2012
    Some nice visuals and lots of symbolism, but the basic delivery of the plot is terrible. Characters act like complete idiots without any regard for even the most basic safety procedures (or even concepts) and the plot is driven more by their idiocy than anything else. Fails to even address the concept of the movie or the questions raised by that concept, instead opting to focus on a bunch of stupid people doing stupid things. Honestly at times it feels like a grindhouse slasher flick. Unrewarding, unentertaining and intellectually shallow. You can derive some enjoyment from the interpretation of symbolism and the stunning visuals, but this does little to make up for the very poor delivery of the narrative. Expand
  41. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big and beautiful film, which I enjoyed, but which had literally dozens of plot holes. I feel like a couple of guys got into a room and came up with the story, "yeah, and then when we charge the head, it comes alive, and then explodes, yeah, cool", and "we can make the robot kinda evil," but without any motivation to be? While if you can ignore so much nonsense, you will enjoy this movie, I can't help feeling, over and over, every time I see a big budget film that either the producers are stupid (because it would be so ridiculously easy to patch the plot holes), or they think I am. Expand
  42. Jun 10, 2012
    Awful script with shallow, underdeveloped characters and massive plotholes. One of the worst pieces of sci-fi writing I've seen in years. Even the great acting and direction can't redeem this film.
  43. Jun 10, 2012
    Don't waste your time and money. Hype aside, this movie was worthless from start to finish. Not exciting, not scary, and the lack of storyline just makes it a painful experience. I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott as well as the Alien franchise and yet I found this movie utterly and totally useless. I'm being particularly brutal about it so that I can hopefully save someone the disappointment of wasting a Sunday afternoon on this. Expand
  44. Jun 10, 2012
    PROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old man makeup when you could get, like, a real old man?? Pretty awful, imho. (Upon reflection, obviously there must have been footage of a young Guy Pearce that didn't make the final print. Even more laziness; my g.f. and I sat there the entire time thinking "why is this guy MADE UP??") Good to know: $200+ million and you can still suck. Expand
  45. Jun 10, 2012
    Story, characters, ideas, visuals - nothing in Prometheus surprised me. Which is the worst thing you can say about any piece of entertainment. (Gross-outs don't count as genuine surprises.)
  46. Jun 10, 2012
    you know in horror movies where some teens are out in the woods and they see a house with severed heads outside, and they say 'hey let's go in there and ask for help' and the whole audience groans and also rubs its hands and waits for the monster to come and chop the idiots to pieces? well sadly transfer that level of idiocy to space, and substitute scientists for teenagers, and you've got Prometheus. There are SO MANY holes and 'WTF???' moments. From people pointing at a totally vague cave painting and deciding it's an accurate star map and an invite from aliens zillions of miles away, to approaching an obviously mad space snake, and petting it, (guess what happens next)... to opening the spaceship door to totally bonkers monster men just for the hell of it... oh you get the idea. Enjoy it, but for lords sake, don't take it seriously. Expand
  47. Jun 10, 2012
    I am a fan of the Alien films, but this movie is based on the old plot that gives sci-fi movies a bad name: Take a group of insane misaligned people, that no intelligent being would choose to go far away on a possibly dangerous mission, and watch them react their own misery against each other - they will break apart even without any alien help!
    And while the good old aliens was
    understandable as a natural predator that simply does what a predator does, there is no understanding given to something that should be an intelligent species, but reacts like just another wounded animal.
    In short: It is all very beautifully made, and has a new cool female lead role, but the story has been told too many times before without giving any new twists. But as a fan of Alien, you of course still need to see it, just to see the old spacecraft again :-)
  48. Jun 10, 2012
    After a long and excited wait, I finally saw Prometheus on release day. It started out promising, but I first saw little red flags when the characters tried to present their pseudo-philosophy as deep and meaningful. Performances were good for the most part, but some dialogue seemed incredibly forced and the script made the characters do things they obviously wouldn't consider if they were realistic. Be prepared for a very shallow and loose ending that doesn't tie any of the plot up and might as well shout "Hey guys we're making a sequel!" Expand
  49. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Who wrote this dribble?Scientists who remove their helmets on an alien world because the air seems fine.Scientists who try to take shelter from a storm by leaving cover to race it... to different cover.Scientists who refuse to investigate life signs,then attempt to pet the alien worm cobra emerging from the black ooze a few minutes later.The sissybot who,for no discernible reason,poisons a crew member,who then has sex,immediately impregnating his girl,to which she then performs her own abortion with the only side effects being some pain while running.Scientists who transport an alien head in a sandwich bag,only to destroy the head in the most unscientific way possible,lessmorelessmore Boom!.Let's include a razorhail storm that inflicts zero damage,the odd mutated human attacking humans for some reason(Braaaaains maybe?),waking a giant alien,who then proceeds to kill all humans(I call him Bender),some tentacles,a sissybot head that can fly an alien ship,some running and avoiding an alien ship crashing by rolling 3 feet to the right,more tentacles,a glimpse of a true ALIEN,and then finally the credits.It also had Biff from Back to the Future in it trying to find the secret of eternal life,but he is killed in 5 min flat so who cares.I'd talk about the story but The Cat in the Hat is far more coherent and entertaining.30 odd years waiting for this S..T! Expand
  50. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a few questions to add to the list that everyone here seems to have covered already...why did the pasty giant alien guy drink oily ooze in the beginning anyway? What was the motivation there? Why did the captain leave the bridge with guys trapped ina storm on the planet to have sex with Charlize Theron? Why was she even in this movie?!?!? All she did was bark out husky commands that belied everything that was happening. Why did people who were infected with alien embryos turn into raging zombie creatures? Why did Charlize and the other chick keep running forward when the ship was rolling at them instead of to the side where they easily could have avoided it? Why does the big pasty guy "birth" the alien in the escape pod. According to the first Alien movie, he's in the pilot chair on his ship where it crashed. Nice job everybody. And my biggest question of all: where can I have surgery that opens up my entire abdomen, removes a substantial lifeform, staple me back up and then I can run, jump, hang from cliffs, barrel roll and only have to stop once in a while for a quick stabbing pain that seems more like explosive diarrhea than major surgery after effects. Wow. This movie sucked. Nice to see Ebert and company taking studio bribe money so they don't trash this pig **** of a film. They'd never recover the advertising loot if they did. Don't waste your time. Collapse Expand
  51. Jun 9, 2012
    This movie had such great potential, good actors, good special effects and cinematography and plenty of budget to work with. However the script let it down miserably, with a horrible predictable and unengaging story. From a sci fi fan perspective it was dull but with great cinematography and from a horror fan point of view the predictability combined with lack of suspense or anything at all to get you on the edge of your seat just made the whole thing fall flat. without a doubt the most disappointing movie of the year. Expand
  52. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, this is all spoilers

Wow, I was excited about Prometheus the moment I saw the first trailer. Aliens is arguably one of the best movies of all time IMO and Ridley Scott has made a bunch of really amazing movies. Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator wasnâ
  53. Jun 9, 2012
    There are so many plot holes in this film it's ridiculous. I have no problem with the mysterious relationship between aliens and humans, but it is littered with leaps in story that defy logical progression. Characters disappear and reappear whenever it is convenient for the writers. And for a seminal moment in the history of humanity, the voyageurs treat the trip with the nonchalance of a visit to the Grand Canyon. Please Mr. Scott, stay away from Blade Runner before you tarnish that film also. Expand
  54. Jun 9, 2012
    Spoiler Alert! Ok, Lets get this clear from the beginning. anyone looking for an Alien prequel is going to be disappointed in this film!
    Apart from a couple of strategicely inserted scenes, the creatures in this film bear NO resemblance to the Aliens we know and love. No eggs, no face huggers, aliens look nothing like the ones we know, egg transferral by kissing and drinking a glass of
    doped wine. Basically the writers and Ridley Scott took all the aspects of the Alien we know and...well..ignored them. It's obvious that the alien prequel tag is there purely as a marketing ploy to get the story lovers through the doors. The film never even properly answers the question we all asked, how did the guy get in the seat of a ship on LV-426? Where did the eggs come from? This film isn't even set on the same planet and there are no eggs..only some black slime.
    As a film it's own right, Prometheus is....ok, nothing special, lots of big camera angles, good music score, acting was ok, but a pretty weak story, no real surprises, no shock twists..
    In the end you will leave with the same questions you had 30 years ago...and a lot more new ones. But the key here is the new ones are questions I don't even care about anymore. This film spoiled the mystery created in the original and didn't replace with anything even close to worthy. A real shame!
  55. Jun 9, 2012
    Well, it wasnt horrible. but it really never explained the hole beginning of the aliens, they skipped how the alien was created and why they didnt use them on earth, and i thought it was suppose to be a prequel. well they failed at that too. the ending didnt have **** to do with alien
  56. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus should be renamed to Prometheus a ship full of idiots. The simple truth about this movie is that the characters make incredibly idiotic decisions that lead directly to there death. Many scenes were like looking down the barrel of a gun then pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded, as if that's the way you do it. The choices that the characters made ranged from slightly odd to WTF did they do that for? This was more then a bad movie it was almost like no one read the entire script all the way through. I truly believe that someone like me.. Someone who has never made a movie, someone who doesn't know the intricacies of movie making would have said at some point during the making of the movie, " Hey man.. that doesn't make any sense and only an idiot with a death wish would do that" Expand
  57. Jun 9, 2012
    BORING! UNBELIEVABLE! I had great expectations only to be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere. The action scenes are unbelievable. You can't help but feel you have seen this all before, but only in better movies. Stay away from this and go see the three stooges instead,at least the laughs in that movie are supposed to be there.
  58. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  59. Jun 9, 2012
    Very Very poor attempt to remake "Alien". Director, writer and actors SHOULD have watched Alien before they made this film ... then maybe the plagiarism would have been flattering instead of pathetic.
  60. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  61. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
  62. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  63. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  64. Jun 8, 2012
    A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
  65. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, what a disappointment. This movie was complete nonsense, the characters at best acted hysterically unprofessional, and at worst suicidal. They literally didn't seem to give 1 sh1t about their well being. Plot points were pulled out of the @sses of the writers with literally no supporting evidence. People act incongruently and in contrived-plot-serving ways that literally made zero sense, and practically no one acted with an ounce of caution. There was no tension, and the main characters were hardly even likable. 2 characters pretty much literally committed suicide. The movie starts off strong with excellent special effects, scenes and 3D, but halfway through the movie, I was utterly disgusted. Expand
  66. Jun 8, 2012
    There isn't a frame of Prometheus which is suspenseful, mysterious or fresh. The narrative and logic get jumbled unnecessarily after the first 20 minutes or so, and then everything gets clunky and uninspiring. Who is the protagonist? Who is carrying this picture(Fassbender, Rapace or even Theron)? The film does answer this question only in the final 10 minutes, with an almost laughable ending. The movie has a great sequence and detail in the beginning where a character watches and emulates TE Lawrence(Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia...it's a very cool piece to see David Lean's epic in 3-D. The rest is TV Material at best. Expand
  67. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is what I learnt from this prequel to Alien:
    * The elephantine face of the space jockey was a helmet, hiding way more human like traits. The design of the Na'vi had more originality than that.
    * The original facehugger was a giant squid that developed within a woman's uterus after she had sex with a man suffering from a worm infection that had turned another man into a zombie.
    * Even if the music does its best to inspire sadness, distress or urgency, it will only highlight just how bland every scene feels.
  68. Jun 8, 2012
    A monumental disappointment. Up there with the Star Wars prequels, the X-Files movie and, of course, Lost. It's not a spoiler to say that none of the fundamental questions posed by the trailer or marketing materials for Prometheus are answered. Worse, as an insult to the viewers, these questions are re-asked at the end of the film to entice them to spend their money on the next installment of a potential franchise. In the way that Lost became merely a commercial for itself (all tease, all promise, no pay-off), Prometheus shows reveals Lindelof's involvement by simply being a 2-hour commercial for a sequel. Lindelof is fundamentally an advertising genius posing as a storyteller. But it's not the lack of answers that hurt most. Early reviews prepared me to leave without resolution. What really hurt was its tone-deaf script, logical incoherence, lack of suspense, and sluggish feel. I thought, at the very least, I could get off on this movie aesthetically but it breaks no new ground there and feels oddly devoid of passion visually. There are a million choices that go into a movie to make it feel real, which will then make it interesting. But nothing that happens in Prometheus feels real (even by sci-fi standards). There aren't any real people in this film. The characters never come to life. The action barely arrives. Everything feels television-thin. There's no depth to soak in. Just hack work and expensive-looking cinematography.

There's something dangerous about artists who once had a traumatic experience in the industry in their earlier, art-film periods and lived to fight another day. George Lucas and both Scott brothers seem to almost resent their fans and the early, experimental years of their own legacies. All three now make bloodless work on a grand scale that seems to have forgotten the cadences of good, human storytelling.

And I wish Lindeloff would stop hurting my feelings.

In the end, Prometheus is a metaphor for itself. My friend and I who went both wished we had never gone and felt an urgent need to warn others not to make the same mistake. Rapace says it best: "WE WERE SO WRONG!"
  69. Jun 8, 2012
    Roger Ebert has lost it long ago. My favorite movie of all time is Aliens and I want to say that I saw it at a midnight showing with a great crowd that was very quiet (You go Alamo Drafthouse!). Yes, this movie is very pretty with outstanding cinematography. But it's all about story and this one is just terrible. The story is disjointed, leaves too many unanswered questions in an attempt to be cerebral, and finally, is just downright boring. The atmosphere was not tense at all, their were no frights just unbelievable scenes. I don't want to give away any spoilers but just think about this review when you see Noomi's need for medical attention. It's one of the worst scenes I can think of in my last 20 years of watching movies. Expand
  70. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus has a good premise, good ideas, good intentions, but it executes all of them wrong. In fact there are so many inconsistencies you could write an entire review just listing them, don't believe me? Well there you go:
    -the scientists go from paintings on walls to "it's an invitation from our makers to go meet them on a remote planet", just like that, HUGE stretch there don't you think huh
    -the old man that organized the whole expedition pretends to be dead, for no reason, only to show up at the end with no one giving a crap that he's actually alive; what was the point of pretending to be dead to begin with then???
    -they hire completely incompetent and crazy people to conduct an expedition that cost billions and billions; those guys lost themselves in a cave when they have a 3D MAPS OF THE ENTIRE CAVE with gps, good god
    -the android poisons a crew member for no reason whatsoever, the main character even finds out about it and still doesn't give a crap when it was her fiance he poisoned
    -when the main character is impregnated with an alien they tell her they have no other option but to put her in hibernation when they have the best surgical machine available, which she then uses herself to get the thing out with no problem at all
    -talking about the surgical machine, why was it programmed for a "male patient" when it was owned by Charlize Theron, does that mean that her character was a actually a man?
    -why was the bald dude in hibernation for god knows how long when it was clearly stated he wanted to destroy mankind, or something, why was he just sleeping there if he had such an important mission to accomplish?
    -why did he just attack the characters like a rabid bull if he's supposed to be so smart and superior to us, couldn't he outsmart the crew and try to manipulate them instead of just going Rambo on them and failing miserably?
    -why the hell did such a terrible script get approved?
  71. Jun 8, 2012
    Cinematography does not make a great movie. While there are beautiful scenes and landscapes, as well as imaginative displays of future technology, the plot drags this movie into Hades - an apt reference, considering one of the main issues with this film is it's half-baked ideology and the decision of the writers to not even fully explore or develop this history.

Which is it? An action
    film? A sci-fi philosophy film in the Aliens universe? Whatever the writers were trying to accomplish, they stopped trying after 60 minutes.

The movie feels as if the writers got to about an hour's worth of the script, and then just spitballed it from there. The acting has some bright points, but that's guaranteed based on the caliber of some of the actors (Noomi Rapace does her best with this seriously flawed script. Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender, as always, are great).

This movie deserves 3 out of 10 stars. More enthusiastic reviews have to be basing their review on previous movies in the series, because this was a film with great, but squandered, potential.
  72. Jun 8, 2012
    Though I dearly wanted to like Prometheus (I love Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, and all the other classic scifis), I thought the film was just awful, driven by an absolutely terrible script. It's as though it's written by twelve-year olds for seven-year olds - full to bursting with cringeworthy dialogue, unresolved plot strands, and laughably bad characters. That this film was even allowed to be released in this form is a testament to so many of the things wrong with Hollywood today.

On the plus side, it's visually gorgeous - but that just ain't good enough.
  73. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind.

So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons whose collective scientific nous is rivalled only by that of the Three Stooges. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside
    the only 'man-made' structures on the planet, a'la 1960s Star Trek) the 'scientists' are yanking off their helmets, on the basis of 'it seems fine to me', dipping their fingers into strange organic ooze, and lugging a severed alien head back to an unquarantined spaceship in a sandwich bag.

Once there, they speedily discover the meaning of life. Then, while one of them gets a bit drunk, his two female companions decide it would be useful to stimulate the head electrically to reanimate it. They don't say why. They give it a bit too much juice, then too little,then dither over too much or too little like a couple of schoolgirls fiddling with a dicky bunsen burner, while the most important scientific discovery in human history waggles its ears and rolls its eyes â
  74. VDS
    Jun 8, 2012
    Not good. A hotch-potch of ideas that seemed chucked together with no real story or theme. Heavy-handed direction, paper thin characters and fan fiction style dialogue. Visually ok, but again it seemed caught up in its own sense of self importance. If you like Alien, don't watch this because like all prequels it ruins the mystery and of the original.
  75. Jun 8, 2012
    What a disappointment. This flick has a generic, nonsense and plot hole driven hollywood-esque script and some of the worst acting i've seen this year (even from fassbender, who does a laughable gaybot impression; not that he had much to work with, since the dialog is atrocious). there were some genuinely beautiful shots (the nature vistas spring to mind), but some really, really terrible ones as well. the alien design is cringeworthy, with avataresque, muscle bound and retarded looking space jockeys, penis shaped water snakes and octopi topping the cake. do yourself a favor and don't waste good money to see this flop. Expand
  76. Jun 8, 2012
    I went to the midnite showing, expecting to finally see a good alien movie like the original Alien. I was so wrong. It will always be a mystery how we got here or who made this place we live on. We all have are beliefs. This movie is rated in my book as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. That's 10.00 I will never get back and feel like a fool for going to see it. Over acting, under acting, it was a mess. There was about 65 people in the theater and I did not hear a peep from any of them and when the movie was over, I heard nothing but negative comments of disappointment. I had no compassion for any of the actors. Please take my word for it, it is not worth the gas to go to the theater. The best part of the movie was it ended and I could go home. No horror in this movie, just si-fi done wrong, action was weak and limited at best. I'm so pi**ed off I want my money back and will call the theater tomorrow and ask if I can have it back or a free movie pass. I feel sorry for the people who are going to waste there money Friday nite to see this B rated movie. I dont understand how anyone could give this movie more then a 1 rating. at least my slushy and nachos were good. I could go on but I wasted more then enough time warning people not to waste there money. But go for it. You WILL be sorry and say I should have listened to that bigfoot guy. I am a movie freak, and this movie suc**d big time. Maybe it got some good reviews cause they took something that altered there minds and dont even remember the movie, just the buzz they had. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.