6.5

1. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
    Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
    Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
    What are David's motives?
    Why was the old guy hiding?
    The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
    And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
  6. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  7. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    I should give this movie a zero. The only reason I give it not is that the visuals are great. Art designers clearly put a lot of care into that, and they deserve recognition. Ridley Scott, and the guys who developed the plot and the characters on the other hand should be ashamed of pissing all over the heads of the people who wanted to watch a good alien movie, or even a decent one.
    The
    only thing I could find likeable is the initial scene and the scene where the android is in the ship and everyone else is still sleeping. The rest is ruined by the really stupid characters who act like teenagers more than scientists. They become drunk because after the first 30 minutes of exploring the planet, they (believe) they find discouraging answers. Incidentally, there's never any proof or scientific evidence shown that their statements about the "engineers" are correct. And the nonsensical plot, where nothing is explained, nothing seems to be logical, and events seem to occur randomly. For instance, the attack of the geologist when he is in "zombie mode". I don't get what that scene brings. Pure ****
    I find this movie insulting. Seen it twice and every time is worse.
    On the other hand, I kind of like the design of the proto-alien in the very end. A pity that they don't explain a damn thing about why it comes to life. In the first and second alien movie there was a clear biological cycle. In here, there's just some magical black fluid which can either kill you, or turn you into a beast, or you can use it to inseminate your partner with a giant squid which then can implant an alien embryo in another being. Yeah, sure.
    Want some real alien, watch alien 1 or 2.
  10. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, the good: I can't say I'm a big fan of 3D, but the cinematography in this film was outstanding and magnified by the 3D effect. The design, to most part, was also very impressive. And now on to the bad...
    What a very poor script. So much of the dialogue felt unnecessary, fake, or completely out of character. Naomi Rapace's Elisabeth Shaw does not convince at all. It's obvious that she is suppose to be some sort of a Ripley hard shoes to fill, seeing as Weaver's Ripley is probably one of the most iconic sci-fi female film characters of all time. Shaw just ends up a caricature of Ripley, and again this is mostly due to the lazy script. It was hard to sympathise with her in the beginning, and confusing as how she got to be who she was in the end.
    Other characters in the film were David, the android, superbly played by Michael Fassbender. There is a charming yet creepy quality about his character, who is detached yet at the same time curious. There is a feeling that emotion is there, just under the surface, and it's not all good.
    Charlize Theron plays cold, Vickers, the person "in charge". She is excellent in this role, which is, unfortunately, so limited, it seems like a waste of a good actress. The same can be said about almost everyone else in the film. So many times people seemed to appear in and out of the film, that you forgot they were of any significance. The only thing I remember about the 2 co-pilots of Prometheus was they had some kinda bet going on. Eldris Alba's captain Janek is initially portrayed as a man who cares about himself and having a good time (he leaves his post for a booty call, putting at risk other crew members) but then puts his life on the line just because someone tells him that otherwise the Earth is in danger (I personally would ask for more of an explanation). Guy Pierce plays old man Weyland why? Where there no older male actors suitable for the part? Under all that prosthetic make-up, it just seemed like, again, it was a waste of a good actor....
    There a few scenes of shock-horror in the film, which made me jump a bit out of my seat and cringe some of which a homage to the original Alien franchise, such as an alien-in-human extraction scene. Although nicely done, they alone cannot make up for a poor script. Matters of faith, infection and creation are touched upon but barely explored maybe they are anticipating a sequel? If so, let's hope they'll be more in the writing. There was virtually no suspense, no arc, or genuine shock. It felt superficial it could have been so much better.....
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    Wow. Thank goodness I didn't waste the money on a cinema ticket to see this when it came out (despite being tempted to thanks to the ridiculous levels of hype Ridley Scott generated). Prometheus is NOT "inscrutable", "mysterious", "intellectual" or any of the other terms used to describe it on fanboy webforums and YouTube rants claiming to "understand" its "true meaning". It is a fantastically stupid film. End of. The only redeeming feature is the gorgeous production design and cinematography. It LOOKS great. But looks can be deceiving. Prometheus doesn't make sense NOT because it is cleverer than we are, but because it is far, far, FAR stupider than we are. It is confusing not because it knows something we don't, but because it is poorly cobbled-together archaeo-religio-scientific claptrap that simply doesn't make sense. The entire film (and all subplots therein) rest upon the shaky foundations known in the business as "the Idiot Plot". NOBODY in this film, at any time does anything that could in a favourable light be labelled as intelligent. Every decision of every character is totally stupid and acts simply to bring them closer to death, which is (surprise surprise) the point of a stupid space-slasher movie. Right now this excrable crud is battling with Batman and Robin for the honour of Worst Film I Have Ever Seen. It really is THAT bad. Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  13. May 27, 2013
    What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
    I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from
    Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense. Expand
  14. May 24, 2013
    This is just a bad movie................................................................................................................................!
  15. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the worst movie i have ever seen. After seeing it i was pist off because it was so bad. The plot was rubbish, there happened so many thing and not 1 thing was later explained. They send the most retarded fella's on the most important mission of mankind. The woman cuts an alien out of her womb and an hour later she can run, rappel, climb, and not feel a thing? "open to interpretation" my ass. Expand
  16. May 9, 2013
    I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
    It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
    No story what so ever.
    Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
  17. May 5, 2013
    Now, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. The problem with this movie is EVERYTHING ELSE. The plot itself is ok, but the execution is complete garbage. The two dumbasses biologist and map designer got lost even though they're the ones who has the good idea of running before its too late and then got killed because the biologist guy call an alien penis "beautiful", and that's the point where the entire movie got horrible. Afterwards everyone died one by one just like a typical horror flick, and it wouldn't be that bad if the movie is actually supposed to be like that, but its not. The movie is about these ambitious attempt of discovering the origins of human life. These people that died are supposed to be experts on their fields. If these people in the movie are the best that humanity can offer, humanity is doomed. It's completely dumb and stupid. Maybe it's just me thinking about it, it's possible that other people get through the stupidity and enjoy the movie, but come on, 100 by Roger Ebert??? God bless your soul MR Ebert for making a great influence after all these years, but this is the most dishonest review you have ever done and you know it. Please review the best movie of all time with your partner up there. It's called Real Life. 10 years of screentime and it reviews life of every men and women in the world so there's plenty of hating and loving of human nature. Expand
  18. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  20. Mar 15, 2013
    A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment.
  21. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    I expected so much more from this movie. A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that? Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks. I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for. Expand
  23. Feb 11, 2013
    If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
  26. Dec 31, 2012
    This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots. It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters. It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching. But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
  27. Dec 29, 2012
    The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott) Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
  28. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
  29. Dec 26, 2012
    I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
  30. Dec 9, 2012
    An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar. It's a bit of a rehash of Alien in way. Come on Ridley, define a genre again for us, create a world like John Carpenter did recently, like you did with Bladerunner. Give us real horror, real suspense like you did in the original Alien. Mind you I thought even that was a bit slow, Aliens was better. Sorry Ridley. I love you for Bladerunner, and Black Hawk down wasn't bad (haven't seen any others) but I know you can do better. You have another Alien film in you. Don't give up. But give us blood curdling horror and suspense. Expand
  31. Dec 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So let me get this straight... In the future, two archaeologists discover a 35.000 years old cave painting, in Scotland. Painted by humans who seemed to worship giant aliens, members of superior space-faring race. Similar finds were made all over the world, of artifacts left behind by independent civilizations that shared no contact. Apparently those ancient aliens posed as Gods, were friendly, and yet, with such teachers and sponsors, all that those humans were able to leave behind were cave paintings made with charcoal and some stone tools. THIS ALONE makes archaeologists forget all about Lucy and other famous australopithecines and hominids. Screw Darwin. We were CREATED... umm...engineered. Because one archaeologist "chose to believe so." Jesus of Nazareth was an alien hybrid, she concludes, I guess. Insulting pseudo-religious anti-science diarrhea at it's best. But wait, it gets worse... On those ancient artifacts are included identical star maps that look like an invitation, she chose to believe. Invitation from whom, you might ask, invitation to go where? Well, invitation from our gods, umm... aliens I mean. To go where? WELL, TO GO VISIT AN ANCIENT ALIEN BIOWEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY, OF COURSE !!! So naturally, humans go and visit. Why would a super advanced race of Engineers invite their Children to visit a bioweapons storage facility, and not a Temple of Knowledge???

A trillionaire named Weyland pays for a space exploratory mission, THE Mission, Mission of all missions. So one would think that such a Mission would be populated by crown jewels of modern science, Cream of the Cream, the Super Intelligentsia, the very best that future Harvard, Oxford and Stanford will be able to offer the richest ,most powerful man on the planet Earth.

Right ? Wrong. Weyland handpicked a bunch of retards whose intellect operates on a level of a ten-year-old who learned science from comic books, and bad comic books at that !!! An archaeologist suddenly becomes an expert in genetics and biochemistry, while moron biologist gets lost with a sociopathic geologist in a 3D-mapped cave, while being able to communicate with captain. Alien genome is identical to human genome. Scientists remove their helmets twenty minutes after entering a compound on a foreign planet which they KNOW is populated with alien biology and potential pathogens. And when they encounter a foreign organism (after discovering a bunch of mutilated alien corpses !!!), a sinister looking cobra-like worm, the very first alien humans ever encountered, what do they do ? They start laughing and giggling like drunk high school kids, you know, those retarded football types, and they start petting that god-damned thing. 2000-years-old mummified corpses are twitching like they died five minutes ago and suddenly explode, spraying gallons of bodily fluids all over the lab. That's after those silly "scientists" poke the corpse with an electric needle !!! Yes, that's ancient mummies I'm talking about. A woman who just went through fully opened abdominal surgery is stitched like a cardboard and starts running around. Literally ! They find strange organic liquid stored in vases, on an industrial scale, in ancient alien temple - nobody bothers to properly analyze it. Have you ever seen a NASA news conference or mission room after they landed a new probe on Mars? Those scientists are hugging each other with tears in their eyes. Their voices are shaking. AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAND ON MARS PERSONALLY, THEY JUST SUCCESSFULLY LANDED A ROVER!!! Landing on an alien world is every geologist's wet dream, every geologist masturbates to the thought of that! And what does our Prometheus' geologist have to say when he wakes up from cryo-sleep? "Don't bother me with your friendship, I'm here to make money." It's like he just broke out of jail. And so on and on. The idiocy of these so called scientists is beyond belief and it just never stops. It just gets worse and worse with every additional scene. It is actually quite astonishing just how stupid this film is. Is Lindelof mentally retarded? Definitely. It's either that or he just did it on purpose, out of sheer perversion. Is Scott senile? Or just criminally under-educated egomaniacal quasi-intellectual masturbator ? You tell me... I'm perfectly able to enjoy "childish" sci-fi, like Transformers. That's because Michael Bay didn't set out to cheat me. He said Transformer movie is about a sexy couple, cool giant robots, ultra-spectacular action scenes and... that's it. That's what Michael Bay promised us and that's EXACTLY what he delivered. I respect Bay for his unpretentious honesty and I wasn't at all disappointed by his films, in fact - I enjoyed them very much ! But this Prometheus was sold to me as a quintessential A-Movie, a masterpiece of serious, intelligent Sci-Fi. It was supposed to be an intellectual Sci-Fi film. I feel raped.
  32. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
    The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
    2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
    3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
    4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
    5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
    6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
    And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
    Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!
  33. Nov 12, 2012
    I had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what the opening scene STONGLY SUGGESTS! His DNA turns black & withers away but he falls in the water & wah la....were accidentally created so when you hear...why are we hear or why did they create us common sense should tell you to laugh! The acting is superb...the visuals are impressive throught out but that's not enough to cover the SHEER IDIOCY of what follows next with no logic what so ever! Why is David seen eating food in the beginning & drinks the same green juice as the captain when they all first awake if he's a machine? Why does David care about his looks..he's a machine? Why did weyland fake his death? It serves no purpose since it wasn't explained why he did it! why is David so sensitive to insults? How do you come to the conclusion that cave drawings are an invitation from aliens....when humans drew the pictures? Why is it that when everyone is told...WE FOUND A NEW PLANET THAT MAY HOLD THE KEY TO OUR EXISTANCE....no one gets excited? How can you conclude that these aliens are what made us with absolutely no proof? I thought scientist's relied on facts? How is it that they have high tech equipment & a spaceship but have helmet cam's that cant record? Why show holograms of aliens running but not what's chasing them? What happened to all the aliens that killed our creators?did they leave & if so...how? How do you get lost when you have video & radio contact with the ship & crew...AND A 3D MAP YOU JUST MADE? If the head of an alien is so important(& it was) why electrify it without testing it to make sure you don't destroy it? Why didn't halloway stop them from destroying an important find? Why did David kill halloway? I thought he probably wanted data on what would happen when he introduced alien dna to the human body but they ignored giving a logical resaon for why he poisoned him! Why play with an alien snake? I thought these people were smart? Why did David turn off the cam so vickers couldnt see what he saw? Why didn't vickers ask David why he turned off the camera when he got back? Why are there holograms of aliens practically showing anyone who comes there how to fly there ship but no lab where the bio-engineered aliens were made? How can you use a flame thrower in an environment that has no air?if David was really a shady character wouldnt he have helped get the Alien out of Shaw & take it for himself like he took the alien capsule in the cave? Why is vickers in possession of a medical machine that's only for men?HOW DID SHAW USE THAT SAME MACHINE to get the alien out of her when it scanned her? I'm sure it noticed she was female but it still performed the operation? Why didn't anyone question why Shaw walked in the room all bloodied with a Hugh scar across her stomach? Why didn't she tell anyone about the alien trapped in the machine? How did fifield just pop up if he was looking at the screens the whole time? Why was fifield a murdering zombie? After fifield was run over where did the guy drive off to...he left the ship & never returned! After just pulling an alien out of her body & learning that weyland was still alive...why continue back to the cave instead of seeking medical attention?why was our creator sleep if they were planning to kill all humans? Why did he go berserk & kill everyone if they so intelligent? Why kill all humans anyway? The captain told vickers to go to HER ship & he will eject it in 40seconds(which he did) SO WHY DID SHE GO TO AN ESCAPE POD? why run from a ship falling in the EXACT path that your running? Yet not go left or right? Why travel to an alien homeworld to get answers when you see first hand they'd rather kill us then talk to us? WHY DID I WASTE TWO HOURS WATCHING THIS ILLOGICAL MESS TO SEE AN ALIEN POP OUT THE ENGINEERS CHEST(ITS WHY I SAW IT IN THE FIRST PLACE) ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE ENDING CREDITS? people like this crape but cant explain why...they just say it was good but don't know why lol well...I have a Hugh list supporting why this movie is a waste of brain cells....AVOID THIS IF YOU WANT ANY LOGICAL ACTIONS BY SCIENTISTS. BUT IF YOU LOVE NICE VISUALS WITH A GOOD IDEA RUINED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE POSING AS SCIENTIST'S WHO DOES THE MOST ILLOGICAL THINGS FITTING OF RETARD INBRED HILLBILLY PROMETHEUS IS FOR YOU....A RELIGIOUS SCIENTIST'S GOOD GOD THIS SCRIPT WAS BAD!! Expand
  34. Nov 10, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this!but this film was incredibly bad.ridiculous story,bad script,dodgy acting.even the special effects somehow irritated me as they seemed to be a way to trick the viewers with slick visuals as a way to cover up the awful story.someone needs to shove Ridley Scotts face into Prometheus,with the result hopefully being no more piles of dog crap like this being made by him again.If this was made by an unknown director,i think the ratings would down in the 2's and 3's,where it should be. Expand
  35. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  36. Nov 3, 2012
    The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn
  37. Oct 27, 2012
    What an absolutely horrendous movie! Do NOT watch this. I am dumber after seeing it for the first time. I wish I had those hours of my life back. I may never watch another movie again now that I am so disenchanted with hollywood and the barf that they produce. I am not trying to be funny... I am dead serious... this movie is the most horrible thing I have ever seen in my life.
  38. Oct 24, 2012
    This movie wanted to be Alien so bad, but it fell flat on its face. I thought this movie was going to be good, judging by the first hour or so. Unfortunately the last hour went way off the deep end.
  39. Oct 19, 2012
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
    A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2.
    This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked. Expand
  40. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dumbing down of science fiction films is prevalent throughout the entire genre. With Prometheus I was hoping to find salvation. What I did find however was shockingly poor.

A character list that I couldn't care less about launch themselves headfirst into a half baked search for the creators of humanity. Supposedly intelligent crew members of the Prometheus take every opportunity to stick fingers in alien goop and open doors to suspected infected shipmates without a second thought.

Questions that I am not really sure I had are now bugging me as the film does more to promote itself a sequel than pay dues to the Alien franchise that it basis itself on.

Praise is due for the geek squad who, like the 'photos of the fairies' believers at the turn of the century, go to great lengths to cover the tracks of Mr Scott and attempt to second guess the conveluted script and explain away some of the more gaping holes.

The only saving grace I can think of may well lie with the obvious sequel. If this second film delivers something truly original and sews together the Prometheus/Alien/Space Jockey stories so incredibly well as to produce something of an epiphany, then, and only then will these words be eaten. I think that I may well go hungry.
  41. Oct 13, 2012
    A great visual spectral that does answer some questions that I never thought to ask about the Aliens films. However in my inability to watch previews I didn't know it was a prequel to the alien trilogy. On its own merit it is 2 only because it has awesome special effects. It has good acting and all the recipes for a great movie except for one thing it makes no sense and is complete dribble of information that makes you connect the dots from the alien trilogy. However if you don't know its part of the alien franchise then its a ridiculously bad. After about an hour I finally said ah ha its an alien prequel. But until then it was slow with predictable tension that led to predictable outcomes.The key is By Itself its a waste of time. If you combine it with the other alien movies then it has some redeeming qualities and you could rate it significantly higher but only if you have a crush on the Alien. Expand
  42. Oct 12, 2012
    The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about.
  43. Oct 9, 2012
    Awful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wanted to do a film that had nothing to do with Alien, but the only way he could get the funding was to convince the studios that he was making a prequel. Would of been far far better if it was a pure sci-fi re-imagining of "At the mountains of madness", alas it was just a colosal waste. Expand
  44. Oct 5, 2012
    so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
  45. Oct 3, 2012
    Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is
    average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it . Expand
  46. Oct 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 21) Why Peter Weyland had to be played by such a young actor (Guy Pearce)?
    22) Why Peter Weyland wanted to risk so much to tag along with the Prometheus expedition instead of maybe putting himself in stasis back on Earth, if he wanted so much to find out about the outcome of this expedition? What immortality was he looking for on the unknown LV223? Who told him about some fountain of youth being located on that otherwise empty planet? This idea seemingly comes from nowhere. The Prometheus expedition was intended to learn about "the origins of life" - not the origins of eternal life! I guess that Peter Weyland became so senile that he could not tell the difference between such vastly different things. So, instead of finding some source of eternal life, he quickly got killed.
    23) It appears that the poor old Engineers were not good at creating manageable Xenomorphs. Really, they made the Alien/Aliens scorpion-like Xenomorph and it got out of control and killed everyone. Then, on LV223 the Engineers went through the same trouble with a different snake/octopus-like Xenomorph. Yes, it got out of control and killed everyone. I guess that the Engineers should've stayed away from creating those biological weapons! I mean, one disastrous mistake like that is understandable, but the Space Jockey fellas just kept stepping on the same rake time and time again! If they created the human race (for no apparent reason), then why they decided to destroy they creation (again, for no apparent reason) using such an incredibly dangerous and uncontrollable method as the Xenomorphs? Why not use bombs, if destruction of humans became such a necessity? The origial Xenomorph might have been just an experiment that went wrong.
    24) Agressiveness of the surviving Engineer and his lack of intelligence may explain why his buddies acted so strangely before, but not their ability to build such technologically advanced machines.
    25) Why all three of the Prometheus pilots decided to go all kamikaze on the Space Jockey's ship is unclear to me, because one pilot should have been enough for the job. Whatever made them so sure that the remaining Engineer was heading towards Earth?
    26) The rest of the movie still remains mixed up, such as how the removed Xenomorph embryo managed to go so large so fast while being isolated in the surgery room. Also, how did Shaw know that the grown up embryo would attack and be able to kill the last Engineer (he could be carrying a powerful weapon, although he apparently was too dumb even for that)? How the decapitated David was going to survive a lengthy interstellar trip on another Enginners' ship? Shaw obviously did not have skills or tools to put David back together. What made Shaw and David so certain that the second Engineers' ship was clear of any dangerous Xenomorph creatures that were usually all over the other alien ships?
    And so on and so forth.
  47. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  48. Sep 19, 2012
    This film was a huge letdown. Story wise is an absolute mess. Full of uninspired, clueless, dumb characters following a concatenation of events that can hardly be called a "plot".
    You might be hoping for some cool action or thrill but you would be disappointed anyway. The only good thing about this movie is the spaceship CGI. Very cool design. That said you don't want to spend money on
    this train wreck Expand
  49. Sep 18, 2012
    It's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelation that evolution is false and we were created by some far away aliens, independent of the other species on this planet, might bother you, steer very clear of this movie. It's a mockery of science, filmmaking and religion all in one.

Thanks, metacritic, for littering my review with a bunch of backslashes. Time to move away from the PHP, fools.
  50. Sep 17, 2012
    An average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movie swamp monster. I guess I enjoyed it when Pretending it had nothing to do with the alien mythos at all but that's not really praise. Expand
  51. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  52. Aug 30, 2012
    Would be an awesome movie... if the characters weren't completely unlikeable and idiotic. I mean, if humanity finds a hint of the origins of life on an extraterrestrial planet, they would send a team of highly trained astronauts, not a ex-convict in it for money, or a lazy captain.
  53. Aug 22, 2012
    Total rubbish basically. Mysterious things in a story are supposed to be compelling, but Prometheus has nothing to draw you in. Nothing to keep you on the edge of your seat. Zero atmosphere. Weird stuff happening for no reason is not good story telling. The space jesus angle, as some say the symbolism alludes to, is too preposterous to even consider taking seriously. Prometheus is by far the most disappointing film I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Expand
  54. Aug 21, 2012
    Ridley loses Mojo

Never thought I would say it about Scott, but once you take the special effects away what you are left with is a really, really poor "B" movie. Poor in imagination, poor in dialog, poor in science and poor in execution.

The gaping holes in the plot cannot be filled by even the best Blarney you may hear from the likes of Lindenhof. Fassbender, an actor who I have a
    tremendous amount of respect for and is probably the best actor of his generation, did a lot of Scott arse kissing in the marketing lead up to this movie... well, it is was all for naught, his head ends up in a bag in a scene reminiscent of a really bad school play.

Great talent is lost through complacency. Let's hope Scott can find his Mojo and stop believing his own hype... starting with a better script would be an idea.
  55. KJJ
    Aug 15, 2012
    It's unbelievable that Ridley Scott would actually take credit for directing this turkey. I was expecting at least something to challenge my mind. Not at all - dumb stereotype dialogue and characters, and plot that was telegraphed a mile away. The screenplay, other than the initial interesting idea, is a total ripoff / replay of everything from the original "Alien." Also (spoiler alert!), another evil unpredictable robot, wasted acting by Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce, pointless violence, and a mindless any inexplicable ending. "Alien" will remain a classic. This will be forgotten within a year. I felt cheated out of my money and two hours. Expand
  56. Aug 7, 2012
    Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
    Desde el poco respeto hacia la saga hasta los numerosos "bichos" hechos de un plástico blanco, que da toda la impresión que es de alguna sobra de una película de los 90, esta película solo hace que te desesperes. Que te retuerzas en tu asiento de agonía por un final
    que nunca llega.
    Grandes cantidades de incoherencias y nulidad de respuestas, aunque se anunciara como lo contrario.
    En fin, no merece la pena gastar tiempo y dinero por "esto".
    Reflexión: ¿Donde queda el alienigena fosilizado con un agujero en el pecho, desde donde se supone que salio un alien, de la película Alien de 1979?
  57. Jul 31, 2012
    I never could quite understood what it was going for. It was just a case of being a hybrid that didn't contain substance from either of its parent genres.
  58. Jul 27, 2012
    A technically well done movie filled with very stupid characters. Explored themes and brilliant ideas could have made this movie one of the best of the last ten years in the sci-fi genre, unfortunately, it was handled frivolously. The union of the talented Ridley Scott with the overestimated Lindelof just give an awkward result.
  59. Jul 24, 2012
    This move is a major disappointment. I expected more from the acclaimed director of Blade Runner and the original Alien. This is just a rehash of every SciFi cliche, form 2001 Space Odyssey to the Thing, and sadly the previously mentioned classics. The story is like bad fan fiction, full of plot holes and inconsistencies and wooden acting. Really bad. Save your money.
  60. Jul 23, 2012
    It's so stupid I hardly managed to survive till the end. It's pretty though, nice 3D - if it's what's you're looking for, this one is for you. My problem was that every single dialogue, every single decision, almost every move of the characters is completely stupid, it makes no sense at all. Waste of time :(
  61. Jul 22, 2012
    Very disappointed. All of the good reviews here (so many 10's, even Mr. Ebert?) just talk about how interested they were in the plot. The characters, with the exception of Fassbinder, were so neglected over plot that the movie was uninvolving for me. Huge character motivation holes. Really important things happen that don't seem to faze the characters or change their behavior at all. And for such an important mission, they seem to have sent the cast of Jersey Shore to accomplish it... Expand
  62. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a much anticipated movie. I was charmed by the visuals the trailers offered and the answers it promised. However, I found it very disappointing in several ways, mainly for its stupidity, characters and plot :

❶This is the stupidest movie ever. I'm a student in engineering and way smarter than ANY characters in the movie! The movie is filled with stupidity, often achieved by (top) scientists. This is the world's greatest expedition and they send a bunch of idiots, drunk, deranged and retarded people that don't even know why they are here until they've arrived! WTF is that? How can anyone consent going to a life-threatening mission without even knowing what they're going into or why? How can they properly prepare themselves with the right equipment? They also have no mean of defense and a non-existent security system with no quarantine. They ignore any scientific or safety measures while exploring the alien planet, to the point where they take off their helmets and expose themselves willingly to alien lifeforms! Did I mention that the only way they can visually communicate with the ship is with the helmets? The suits they use are inefficient, it cannot withstand acid nor fire. If I was the expedition leader, I would only send robots while staying safely inside the ship. The ship's captain alerts only 5 min before that a gigantic storm is on the way and that he'll leave them behind if they don't move their asses. They decide to take an alien head to the ship in a quad that can't even contain it properly. After it drops out the heroin decides to risk her life and the entire crew's to save the alien head from the storm, which they blow up 5min later while experimenting on it because they're to stupid to use they're own equipment properly. While this happens, one scientist decides to get drunk and gets poisoned by the robot with alien lifeforms (on behalf of the supposedly dead millionaire), exposing thusly the entire crew and the millionaire to certain and painful death. While two of their fellow companions managed to get lost with a 3D gps at their disposal, the captain and the expedition leader also have sex. It so happens that meanwhile the lost guys, who were scared to death to meet aliens 2min ago, actually do meet aliens, remove their helmets and treat them like home pets! No wonder they die but no one pays attention and they have no means to alert the ship's crew! THIS IS ONLY THE FIRST 15 MINUTES! This goes on for the rest of the movie, I'm not saying that the scenarists should look into every scientific details but most of the time all it needs is plain common sense, something that every character in Prometheus fails to adopt.

❷ Characters are the second major failure of Prometheus. Apart from being stupid and mentally retarded, the characters have no depth. This is probably why all the characters are so stereotyped : all the scientists are white, the horny doesn't-give-a-rat's-ass-about-science captain is black, the money-hungry expedition leader is a blonde **** the **** that eventually starts killing everyone is a deranged punk... etc. The only two characters that they bothered giving a somewhat personality are the heroin and the robot (who is not supposed to have any), they are also the only two survivalists. Apparently the other characters were just here to die, so why give them a personality? The thing is it's harder to feel anything towards them. Basically, the characters that rise above humanity's vanities (money, sex, alcohol, eternal life) or that have some kind of
  63. Jul 21, 2012
    Sloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence had been insulted by this film. However, Michael Fassbender, despite the pointless actions of his character, did an amazing job as David. The CGI was also top notch, but that's not really something out of the ordinary in today's films. Expand
  64. Jul 21, 2012
    Prometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3D technology but it was more subtle. Expand
  65. Jul 20, 2012
    First off, I think most people were upset with this movie because they thought it was going to be an Alien movie, which even I knew before it came out that it wasn't. I came into this having only watching Alien vs Predator and not the original Alien movies. I found this to be one of the best movies I have watched in a long time. The CGI is top notch and might be the best I have ever seen in a movie. People who said the plot was confusing really must have not been paying attention. The plot was very engaging and kept you wondering what was gonna happen next. There are some unanswered questions, the most of which being the opening scene. However, the ending was set up perfectly for a sequel, which I hope they make. After watching it, I went and watched the original alien movies. I still found Prometheus to be one of the best prequels to a movie ever made. It showed how the Alien came to be and did it perfectly. Expand
  66. Jul 20, 2012
    Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing in contribution to the film in its entirety.

People have lauded this film as if it is some avant-garde, incredible work of art for in the least its name being a reference to the Greek myth where Man is made, given the ability to make fire, metaphysical overtones, and the obvious reference to the story of the birth of Christ does little to actually help the film. If anything, these allusions are made to make the film seem deeper than it is. Again, the premise is the best part, and while I was enjoying it so much as I am a huge fan of science fiction, there came a time in the film when I was struggling to come up with warrants to justify why the film was good. I am capable to logic and reasoning- people complain at how analytical I am at times - yet, hopefully not to sound cyclical, it was when the film started to drag on that I, in retrospect, should have walked out. I have never walked out on a film before (except for the second installment of Lord of the Rings, due to the fact I couldn't stand the directing). At least I got to watch that movie for free. I regret having spent $9 to see this movie. It had some good scenes though and I know not to watch this as if it is an Alien film, but treat it more like a separate sci fi film (given the ending, t is impossible to - I will say no more).

To describe this film, only word word is required. Terrible.
  67. Jul 14, 2012
    This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
  68. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read the other negatives... this is as bad as serious movies can get, and I enjoyed the red reviews more. There are so many plot holes that it is not even worth analysing them. People seem to make excuses by looking for depth, depth which just isn't there. The symbolism can be summed up in two sentences, or a one word title, which is about the best thing in the film. The dialogue is just mind-bogglingly bad. The beauty of Alien was it's naturalism. People talked like where they were and who they were. This film tries to replicate that, by some pointless bickering between unimportant characters, and some portentous dross from other side characters. You end up wanting to rip everyone's head off to see if they're a robot.

The other excuse people raise is that it looks good. It doesn't. It looks like Armageddon crossed with Dune for 2012... and I mean that in a bad way. Throw in Biff from BTTF (were no actual old people available for the role?), suicidal space jockeys, zombies, attack snakes... and some holograms. Seriously don't start me on the holograms, I can imagine the script session: "We need to move the plot along"
    "How about some holograms of people running away from something?"
    "Won't people notice that makes no sense at all?"
    "Probably not... don't overestimate your audience."
    "Cool, what about learning to start the alien ship?"
    "No problem, we'll use the holograms to show the alien controlling his ship with a flute."
    "You are da man!"

I think my main problem was that I wanted to take it seriously. Had I known going in it was "Alien know what you did last summer" I would have sat back and enjoyed the laughs.
  69. Jul 8, 2012
    This was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. The characters all seem to suffer from severe brain damage, and the plot is needlessly complicated and nonsensical with many, many holes. Like Avatar, it's nothing but a sequence of pretty pictures (to be honest, they are very pretty pictures) that make little sense when put together into a story. Watch it if you want two hours of nice environments, but don't expect anything intellectual out of it. Expand
  70. Jul 6, 2012
    This movie lost me at the very beginning-there i NO explanation or evidence of anything that would lead to space mission.Why that planet?Looking at cave pictures is atrociously poor reason.It's juvenile writing.I can't comprehend what mind can go with it after starting point that weak.Its degrading SF genre intellectually to a 1950s SF uneducated mainstream mentality regarding everything.It's offensive and scary to think that an average consumer has sink that low.Are people really have such a short attention span and are that stupid?It terrifies me. I could go on about plot holes,other "science" facepalm moments,bad characterization,fact that none of the questions are answered by the end of a movie...but why bother?If you use brain to think this is 0,if you like CGI and lived under a rock for last 10 years you will love this movie and find its theories interesting. Expand
  71. Jul 6, 2012
    For me, this movie was the most colossal disappointment I've had in a long time. I had super high expectations, but man, I really just thought it was bad. Charlize Theron's character is unbearable, tons of redundancies in the writing, and a it wasn't even tense. To sum up my opinion of it, I would say it's like the paper that someone wrote for school, where they put a ton of work into the extra credit, but totally forgot to do the rest of the paper until the last second. Expand
  72. Jul 1, 2012
    A victim of many things, including poor screen writing and rampant fan-boy-ism and hype, Prometheus fails to live up to much of anything. Many people have the name Ridley Scott on their lips, but, the blame can't really be attributed to him in this case, as the real problem is with the plot. It REEKS of too many fingers in the pie, too many half assed ideas pasted together to form a "story" that tries to be on one hand, an intellectual film and on the other an extension of the now mundane space monster movie, and fails to deliver on either account. With too many plot holes to list, mediocre casting / acting and a hollow ending, it's just not worth it. Expand
  73. Jun 30, 2012
    Hyped to re-write scifi..................really missed the mark, very very disappointed.
    Super human beings couldnt think of a better way to kill off humanity other than a million big jars of Marmite with worms in, that if you ingest any then sleep with your partner you impregnat her with an octopus, an octopus that grows to the size of a house, then it latches onto you impregnating you
    with another alien. Awesome well done super duper human beings, maybe next time a big bomb would do the trick eh?!!?!?!? Expand
  74. Jun 29, 2012
    What a pile of horse manure? It has a 7.6 rating on IMDB which was the main reason I went to see it (that and the fact that Ridley Scott directed). It is intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien but it's really just a very bad re-make of Alien with an invisible, non-nonsensical story line. The characters are paper-thin idiots, the dialog is asinine, and the actors have nothing to work with. The whole thing is utterly forgettable. The visuals are okay for a while but gradually overwhelm everything. There is a hint in the end that there may be sequels and with 7.6 on IMDB there probably will be. Scott needs to hire some writers who know the difference between suspense and shtick and can write dialog that is not aimed directly at the audience. 1/10 for production quality. Expand
  75. Jun 26, 2012
    Expectation: introduced as a prequel to Alien, and directed by Ridley Scott, so incredibly high

Delivery: For a film so thought provoking, heavy on symbolism, questioning human origin, and metaphysical beliefs, Prometheus was a huge let down. It borrows heavily from an established belief that the Original Man came to Earth from another planet and began civilization on this planet, but
    it never really does anything with it. These studies are interrupted by series of setups and let downs. It's littered bunch of teasers and references to the original Alien, but never delivers. It may have been a bit more enjoyable as a stand alone sci fi flick instead of playing up it's Alien relations. Being introduced as having relations to Alien, allowed my expectations to fly well above and beyond what this movie was actually willing and able to do. Prometheus feels like its stuck somewhere between an Alien prequel, and a prequel to a prequel of an Alien prequel. Expand
  76. Jun 25, 2012
    direction: excellent
    cinematography: great
    special effects: great
    writing: terrible, illogical
    plot: full of holes

overall: the bits a greatness get lost as soon as you hear any of the characters speak. the plot holes make for an extremely inconsistent story base for the alien movies.
  77. Jun 25, 2012
    Prometheus kicks ass if you love real sci-fi you are going to love Prometheus , if you loved Avengers, Transfromers and Battle Ship your are going to Hate it! IT'S NOT An ALIEN MOVIE! 10/10
  78. Jun 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was such a disappointment. THEY REALLY DUMBED IT DOWN. Of course visually it was nice...but that only go so far. Cheesy dialogue and plodding! I guess this was to pay for a new piece of real estate for Ridley. Watched it at Waves! The screen and sound effect was good. Expand
  79. Jun 24, 2012
    I wanted to like this movie so much. I am a huge fan of the Alien films (the first 2 at least) but I tried not to let that influence my take on this movie. Visually, this movie is great. The CGI with the ship is amazing and the rest of the effects make you feel like you are really on an alien planet. I will say that I was not particularly impressed with the creatures though; Aliens felt more real than this. The most glaring problem with this movie is its lack of development of the characters; Charlize Theron's the most. There was a lot of potential to explore so many interesting facets of the characters but most of them are ignored. You get nibbles of some great side-stories to some of the characters, but then it is never mentioned again. A lot of the scenes seem rushed and many times you are asking yourself what the motivation for some of the character's actions are only to be met with the end of the movie and no answer. Michael Fassbender does play the android character perfectly. For me, it all starts with the story. If the story is flawed then no amount of effects, great acting or other frills is going to make the movie great. I feel bad for Ridley Scott, as he has obviously fell into the same "modern film" hole as many of the other great directors (George Lucas, Steven Spielberg). If you want a decent sci-fi film with good visuals, rent this movie on DVD. If you are looking for a masterpiece, look elsewhere. Expand
  80. Jun 23, 2012
    Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, would appear on screen and kill him with a stove pipe hat. And, Charlezzzzz you need to step it up girl. Take the money and run only lasts so long. Bad, bad, bad..... Expand
  81. Jun 23, 2012
    Pure crap. Expected to see a film promoted as a crew searching for the meaning of life and the origin of the universe and paid $36 (!!!) for an ALIEN PREQUEL.
  82. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus would look fantastic as a coffee table book since it is a respectable visual evolution of the Alien franchise. Beyond that it is a failure. It is a two hour demo reel for distractingly bad science. It might answer one or two questions left from the original mythology, but poses infinitely more new questions and tells the story in such an unsatisfying stumble through poorly written characters and their inexplicable actions that you don't care about the answers that dribble forth and are encouraged to be apathetic about any future revelations as they are sure to be unsatisfying. Expand
  83. Jun 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It had some pretty effects and sweeping shots, I'll give it that much. I also rather liked Fassbender's robot character, but everyone else felt pretty hollow and consistently acted like idiots. Did not like the aliens or the plot at all. The aliens are just another boring, monolithic evil trying to destroy humans. And on top of this tired old trope they've piled up mystery upon mystery that never get resolved. Disjointed, non-sensical, and with zero payoff at the end. Expand
  84. Jun 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie did do it's job: keep me entertained. But entertained for the wrong reasons when watching a movie. I found myself entertained by the absolutely ridiculous and preposterous experiences that occur in nearly every scene. I could only compare the plot line of Prometheus to be congruous to the imagination of an avid six year old child. The movie starts out promising; a series of cave drawings and ancient symbols that leave you wondering about the possible link between ancient civilizations and the unknown universe. Sadly, no such link exists in this movie, simply leaving the viewer more puzzled. This is only the first of dozens of irrelevant plot lines that sprout off of the main, hideous plot. The crew of the ship is a squad of incompetent so-called scientists who, throughout the course of the movie, manage to stuff unknown alien heads into duffle bags, then proceed to blow it up after 3 minutes; get lost in the most simplistic of tunnels, even with the technology of 2094, then approach and be instantly killed by a 12 inch snake; open the door for a previous crew mate, who is so blatantly obviously infected (with an unexplained dark liquid) who wipes out nearly every member of the crew; the list goes on. On top of all of this, Prometheus contains the worst imagery that I have ever seen in my life, rivaling Two Girls One Cup. Shaw, apparently, burstingly pregnant with an octopus, knocks out some crew members with ease, then gives her self a cesarean section, staples herself up, and walks away, leaving her newborn octopus squirming in a glass chamber. This newborn octopus, with no nearby food, grows over 20 feet long, opens the glass chamber by itself, and then easily rapes the superhuman of the universe. If this is not the imagination of a six year old child, I don't know what is Expand
  85. Jun 19, 2012
    After discovering that this is was not intended to be a true prequel to Alien, only using the same universe for the story, it does improve my score for reviewing this movie. Mainly because, if it was meant to be a true prequel to Alien, it would have been awful, with it explaining almost nothing. Both story and script are very poor. Special Effects are amazing, however, with somewhat entertaining scenes. Expand
  86. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am also an Aliens saga fan, but Prometheus was a huge disapointment. Great graphics, but a long stretched out story with a sudden unexplained ending. Looks like the movie makes wanted to make a quick buck. And who bribed the critics to give it a high score!!! Expand
  87. Jun 17, 2012
    These characters are the worst scientists ever. That may sound like a nitpick, but much of what happens in the move is a result of that. I found practically every character to be unlikeable or a cliche, the plot is murky, and I didn't find the film suspenseful or surprising. I love Alien and Aliens, and this movie is not in their league.
  88. Jun 17, 2012
    Yes, it did have enough visuals and mesmerizing cinematography to fascinate and rock to the very core the target group of people for whom this movie was made and heavily advertised. But to me, it's just another multi million dollars disappointment. Actually, the movie was so unexpectedly (considering the director) goofy and clumsy at some points, i felt fascinated by the fact that such screenplay has been approved by a major studio. Probably it wouldn't have fared far at the box office if it wasn't for the viral marketing campaign. Expand
  89. Jun 17, 2012
    Saw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside the only 'man-made' structures on the planet ) the 'scientists' are dipping their fingers into strange primordial goo, lugging a severed alien head back the size of 2 watermelons back to an unquarantined spaceship in a glad bag. Two female Expand
  90. Jun 17, 2012
    Prometheus could have been a good movie, but its bad acting and mediocre writing keep it from being a classic. It is, however, very pretty, and some may be able to excuse its faults for this reason, but I just couldn't get into it. Entirely predictable and packed full of flat characters - Boring. 4/10.
  91. Jun 16, 2012
    For those who have not seen this movie, let me offer you a spoiler. IT IS NOT GOOD. Please save your money in the hopes that it can be put to good use. Instead of telling you why this movie sucked (see any of the other red reviews), I will instead give you ideas of better ways to spend your $10.Buy 10 twinkies. Pay someone to rub your feet. Buy some jello. Buy a new pair of socks. Get a haircut. Pay someone to clip your toenails. Buy a sandwich.

Ok, I could write all day betters ways to spend your movie money. Really, anything you do with the $10 you save will be better. I'm still beside myself that I sat through this movie with high expectations only to be kicked in the nuts and sent home with gum on my shoe. In typical 'Lost' fashion, the recipe the author of this movie uses is to put 100 vague incomprehensible ideas in a hat and pull them out randomly to form the basis of his script. He aspires to be a smart, profound writer but delivers an inane, insipid monstrosity of a script. The fact that people that this script was good is way scarier than the contents of the script. Is this movie supposed to contain fear or suspense? The most suspense I had was the black movie screen moments before the movie started. From there, it degenerates into a circus of laughable situations better suited to a sci-fi version of keystone cops than a credible drama or suspense movie. The writer(s) clearly feel much smarter and in tune with intellectualism than they can deliver. It took about 10 minutes into the movie before this frightening realization becomes apparent. Nothing in this movie can be adequately explained by either common sense or even the most elastic form of science fiction. Some scenes are so ridiculous in nature, I have to wonder how R. Scott could actually direct them with a straight face?! Well, the R. Scott of yesteryear would not have. I guess people do lose their wits when they get old. People go on about the effects and cinematography. Ahem...Really? It's nothing great at all! Wooooo some nice flyovers of a waterfall....geez people. There are 3 settings in this movie. The alien ship, which is dark and mostly hollow and uninteresting. The planet landscape, which is just some earthlike mountains and sand, and the prometheus ship with its neato sliding doors and flashy lights. BIG DEAL! Not great at all. Forgettable. Some mention the music, which is annoying. Too loud and ever present. They are trying to lull you into a trance so you will ignore the daft sillyness that takes place on screen. Only a moronic screen writer would think that a good movie means to drown you with loud whispy music, while dazzling your eyes with irrelevant visual effects, etc. etc. It's good for a commercial, which is basically what this movie is. A commercial for what I have no idea. I can only hope it's not advertising another movie like this......
  92. Jun 16, 2012
    There was very little that was redeemable about this movie. So we'll start with that. The cinematography was excellent, the ships and the world seemed complete. Michael Fassbenders character "David" was well thought out and incredibly well acted, and above all memorable. But the rest was a muddled mess that was hardly worth the money shelled out to watch it, and was the kind of thing that torrenting was made for. The archaeologists had less of a grasp of the scientific method or proper procedures than Indiana Jones did. Why was Guy Pearce in old people make-up? Why didn't they just find someone who was old? The movie tried to mesh science and religion with horror movies and unclear villains. But above all, it lulled for long periods of time and was ultimately rather forgettable. Expand
  93. Jun 16, 2012
    This is a mess of a movie that uses grand visuals to make up for poor characters and incoherent story telling. It has the theological ambition of 2001, but lacks its technical perfection and absolute believability; it sets us up for another Alien-style horror, but can't keep us interested, let alone scared. Its characters are cartoonish and stereotypical, paper thin. For science fiction fans, there isn't a lot of science. For horror fans, there isn't a lot of suspense. Characters who are purported to be scientists are just not believable in the least. In typical fashion, when they announce not to touch anything, they quickly proceed to touch everything, only to later predictably regret it. The corporate stiff who's there to watch over her billion+ investment is completely uninterested in the mission, and I'm not sure what her purpose on the ship is supposed to be other than being a good looking, nasty control-freak. The captain acts like some bored truck driver dude who just wants to get laid. The android is the only redeeming feature, but that's just not enough to save this mess. Many of the scenes in the 2nd half of the movie have been done before, and the whole thing smacks of just a setup for the next movie. There is no depth, no tension, no story, no pathos to this movie: it's a lot of eye candy, but we have seen a lot of this stuff before, and little seems truly original. This was an opportunity for the next iconic science fiction movie of the decade, and it misses badly. Goes to show that no matter the quality of the effects, the grandeur of the vision, or the money spent on actors and sets, without a great story it's just another forgettable McMovie, empty calories. Shame on you, Mr. Scott, you know better. Expand
  94. Jun 16, 2012
    It looks great, but it's a typical noisy 2012 filmunderneath that. The characters, script and plot are poorly set out. There is little tension, partly because the characters are continually stupid and unlikeable, and partly because the inappropriate soundtrack never shuts up. It needs more room to breathe, more silence, and some honest examination next time. And fire the writers, please.
  95. Jun 16, 2012
    This movie is a pretentious mess. It would seem to want to be 2001 but is so badly written it just jars any sensible viewer out of any immersion. It looks pretty but whatever questions it wants to pose are obscured by the screaming stupidity of character actions and glaring holes in the plot. it gets credit only for some striking visuals quite unrelated to the story, and admirable efforts of actors Rapace and Fassbender. Efforts by some to credit the movie with deep meaning by hanging all manner of ex post facto metaphor and symbolism are like actually trying to tell the future with a fortune cookie. NOT recommended viewing except as an example of lazy, incomprehensible writing (thanks for nothing Mr. Lindlhof), and failure of communicating either interesting or meaningful ideas to an audience. Expand
  96. Jun 16, 2012
    In an effort to prove that George Lucas isn't the only director who can ruin an iconic cultural force from the 70s and 80s, Ridley Scott has provided a series of moronic answers to all the questions you never asked about Alien.

This steaming pile manages to be filled alternately with both an offensive lack of nuance and subtlety and also such glaring plot holes that it makes me wonder
    which the writers hold in more contempt: The Alien franchise, or its fans?

Once you get past the cheesy opening scene, the film actually starts off fairly well, building a strong sense of growing terror on a foundation of naive hopefulness, but descends into a pointless mess in the third act. In those rare moments where it manages to be unpredictable, it is idiotic and nonsensical. Where the original Alien was a delicate tool which built a sense of dread by subtle implication and rare, quick glimpses of the creature, Prometheus is a club, smashing you in the head with overt and cartoonish monstrosities meant to appeal only to the dumbest humanity has to offer.

I will give it a couple of points for some beautiful cinematography and the compellingly creepy performance of Michael Fassbender, but those qualities aren't enough to outweigh its obvious and innumerable flaws.
  97. Jun 16, 2012
    Too bad for me who need to be convinced that it could be real, on this respect it was a complete failure, but I think most people will enjoy because they just don't care and the visual is nice. This movie is an aggression to my intelligence. It should be called Idiots on Space. The crew of the spaceship Prometheus is unbelievably dumb. Maybe the producers didn't have scientist advisers to tell them that most, not to say all, of the things this crew does is completely incoherent with the procedures of men going into the unknown. "The air is breathable... let Expand
  98. Jun 16, 2012
    Eye candy, but jeez,... give me a story that makes sense. I actually feel used by this genre. I endured the Star Wars saga hoping for the heart of the first (or fourth, as it were). It never came. I endured the Matrix Reloaded and Revisited without the magic of the Matrix. I was hooked by Battlestar Gallactica and followed it to its end hoping for satisfaction but was handed loose ends and cheap shots (Starbuck as an angel? Pleez!). Alien and Aliens are iconic but I knew better that to follow the idiotic franchise. Trusting R. Scot for Prometheus, I bit the bullet and got burned. In essence, it's a fabulous setting for a seriously flawed, potential jewel. Expand
  99. Jun 15, 2012
    I never sign up for these sites. But I did for this one. Only to agree totally with the review written by Taantric! A wonderful review of a sad use of millions of dollars. Everyone should read his review. I too, scratched my head at the sheer stupidity of the worlds greatest scientists sent on the journey to meet our 'creators'. When you consider the creature of the Alien franchisee and then look at the tentacles of what is ultimately suppose to be scary you have to ask why? Too bad and too cheezy. You want to see deeper character development but it is unavailable, so ultimately you don't care as they die off. No Ripley character here worth savings. Just sad. Expand
  100. Jun 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing. This movie is so terrible I find enjoyment in pointing out it's flaws. Obviously the script was so poorly written that they made up for it by vague implications of philosophical questions about existence. In the hopes that their audience was too high from illicit drugs, and mesmerized from the graphics departments high budget visual effects to notice. The acting was either so over the top, or so emotionally dry they had to play a portion of a good movie to fool you into believing they made a good movie. Although the beginning I found rather whimsical in it's introduction of rolling landscapes, and a waterfall. I now find tacky, and disappointing. The characters or scientists prove themselves to be nothing more than a bunch of vagrants an eccentric old business man that looks like Johnny Knoxville dressed as an old person found in the closest bar, and put aboard a ship with a robot that apparently runs on chicken wire, paper mache, and tapioca pudding. Nothing scientific happens in this movie other than the occasional add-lib of "Hypothesis" and calling everyone a doctor before they speak to them. Their method of command is nothing less shallow then a group of drunk twenty somethings trying to drink, take drugs, and **** each other. Each person is only capable of making poor life decisions that will inevitably get themselves or someone else killed. Even the aliens weren't consistent as if the writer's could never fully agree on what was actually on the planet, but decided to put their own story in, and not tell anyone until it came to theaters. Every action scene was lame, and anticlimatic that made you wonder why would they do that? Pointlessly leaping over gaps when what you are standing on will slowly shuttle you to solid ground, running in straight lines from falling objects moving in one direction, acting like the dog whisperer to an alien worm nut sack, leaving safety to race a harmless razor sandstorm, opening the door to your dead exorcist geologist co-worker. Ridiculous. On top of it all, the way this movie portrayed itself was like it was groundbreaking on all of your scifi, action, horror movie senses that it was delusional from the fumes of it's own mystical self worth. It was non of these. Sadly, the blatantly obvious undertones of religion, the constant there is going to be another movie implications, and the superficial life questions confused as depth made this movie completely miserable to watch. In fact the only satisfaction I have is from knowing other people think it is as terrible as I do, and be able ridicule it online. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.