6.5

1. Jan 6, 2013
    I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the timeI've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
  2. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  3. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is,Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is, like the best sci-fi, left up to interpretation. This film does not pander and has no easy answers, and that can sometimes be frustrating. But I applaud it nonetheless. Even if you wind up disappointed, there will definitely be something here that will stick out as memorable, even if it is just the visuals. Expand
  4. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus returns to the series' roots in so many welcome ways, particularly that it is adventure story first and foremost. An exploration of the unknown with many surprises in store, and many of those shocking. Good cast and a decent script almost completely void of space movie cliche quips, thank goodness. The film also possesses something so many science fiction movies, for all ofPrometheus returns to the series' roots in so many welcome ways, particularly that it is adventure story first and foremost. An exploration of the unknown with many surprises in store, and many of those shocking. Good cast and a decent script almost completely void of space movie cliche quips, thank goodness. The film also possesses something so many science fiction movies, for all of the work that went into them, critically do not --suspense and tension. That alone is worth an extra 10 percentage points. Negatives: one too many loose ends and a completely forgettable musical score that only supports the action instead of buoying up the film and really being a third of the experience. Whoops, there went that 10 point lead. Expand
  7. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PART 1 OF 2 (Due to space limitations)

I'm reproducing a review here written on darkhorizons.com from Weyland Smithers, who puts it all far better than I ever could:

"Prometheus is a hilarious comedy in the tradition of "Spaceballs" and "Men in Black" about a motley crew of forgetful, scaredy-cat scientists who go into space and try to find their alien creator. They find maps in caves that are their invitation, but this turns out to be a hilarious trick, like a mousetrap for retards.

The first scene is a giant, german-looking albino steroid guy who drinks some coffee out of an ashtray and gets sick and falls in the waterfall. Special effects reveal that he has little, tiny ladders in his blood called D&A. This guy looks like a member of the Blue Man Group, except White. There is a UFO flying overhead that is never seen or mentioned ever again in the movie. Just one of the many pranks that the writers and director have put in the movie to trick you with.

Next we meet these two very forgetful and silly scientists and they get to go into space on a beautiful ship. It is taken care of by a gay robot who does stuff like dye his hair and dress up like Robocop with a colander on his head to entertain himself. If C3PO had a human face, he would be this guy. All of the silly bungling scientists wake up from hyper-sleep in time to watch a hilarious hologram of a guy in an "old man" mask that looks like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi. I think he is wearing the old guy mask to get some laughs from the wacky scientists, but no one notices it. There is another funny guy with unconventional hair and tattoos who is really mean to everyone - that's so true! Guys that look like that are always dicks!

The spaceship starts to land on the planet, and as luck would have it, lands exactly near the alien castle on the very first try without even looking around too much - another hilarious example of serendipity! These guys are so lucky and fun to watch! The crazy scientists go into the alien castle and two of the guys get so scared that they decide to go back to the ship and get lost, even though they have flying superballs that make 3D maps of everything. Those two bungling doofuses! They are like "Dumb & Dumber" or "Abott & Costello". The rest of the gang finds more poisonous coffee and somehow the gay robot steals a whole pot of it without anyone noticing. He's such a Sneaky-Pete!

Everyone has to go back to the ship at the last minute because the Captian pranks them and waits until a violent storm is nearby before telling them about it! Haha! This guy is great! The two bungling idiot scientists get stuck in the castle and decide to goof-off all night. They try to pet a space cobra that lives in the poisonous coffee, but it kills them, which I think is what ALL cobras wish to do, space or no. Meanwhile, back on the ship, the gay robot does a HILARIOUS prank on the whiny scientist who wears a hipster scarf. He puts a little poisonous coffee in this jerk's drink and gives him pink eye and diarrhea (probably). Haha! That's like a whoopee cushion x100! Luckily the scientist has enough health left to hump his forgetful girlfriend one last time before he is all the way super-sick from the bad coffee. As one last prank to his fellow scientists, he suits up and goes back to the castle with them, even though he secretly knows he is very, very sick. Haha. What an inconvenience to the rest of the group - the ulimate prank!

The mean lady burns him later. The forgetful scientist gets pregnant with a white octopus and has to take it out using Michael Jackson's special oxygen bed. Now here is where the movie gets really hialrious, because she TOTALLY forgets that the alien squid is in there and just leaves to go do some errands! HAHAHA! It turns out that the funny guy in the old man mask is really hiding on the ship and he does some funny slapstick "old man walking" with a cane! I love it!

(CONTINUED!)
  8. Jun 13, 2012
    Ridley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults youRidley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults you will have yourself one helluva gorgeous thrill-ride. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2012
    For the average Joe, it's a great sci-fi horror movie (score 7.5). But for me, a fan of the Alien universe, it was a disappointment, and a reminder that big names (Ridley Scott) do not always mean a good story. The movie has shallow characters, lots of story holes, sequences that defy your intelligence and lots of questions unanswered. Fassbender and Rapace are great (her, after thingsFor the average Joe, it's a great sci-fi horror movie (score 7.5). But for me, a fan of the Alien universe, it was a disappointment, and a reminder that big names (Ridley Scott) do not always mean a good story. The movie has shallow characters, lots of story holes, sequences that defy your intelligence and lots of questions unanswered. Fassbender and Rapace are great (her, after things start going wrong). The movie has good things, though: the C-section sequence, the visuals, the score. That's about it. Expand
  10. Jun 11, 2012
    As one of two most anticipated summer blockbusters of 2012 by most fervent cinema-goers, me included (the other is THE DARK KNIGHT RISE, doubtlessly), I watched it in the cinema, a plain 2D version, but in a nutshell, it is not satisfactory at all.

The film has wrought some doze-prompted moments, there are just too many routine procedures have to be dealt with (tediously) to tell a tale (with cliche-ridden dialogues and stereotyped roles) before any flare or more precisely, casualty to take action. Then quite ironically, the ill-fated first casualties are the geographer and the biologist (no career-based prejudice, I may watch too much of THE BIG BANG THEORY), whose raisons dâ
  11. Jun 11, 2012
    I m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it couldI m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it could have been written better in many ways... It could have been a great movie... Even Anderson's "Alien V.S. Predator" had a much more solid plot with less holes in the story. Special effects are great in 3D but that's it... Anyway, considering the fact that in past few years we did not have a pleasure to watch many decent SF movies, Prometheus is worth watching...and nothing more. Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2012
    This one tries to evoke a bit more of Alien rather than the action movie Aliens. Well acted, put together fairly well and logically, and beautiful and believable, though in the end Ridley Scott doesn't quite nail it. The first death(s) make the entire movie worth watching for us, though, by themselves, and in the end, we enjoyed the movie without necessarily loving the movie.
  13. Jun 12, 2012
    I found the movie enjoyable and impressive on three dimensions: theme, visuals and excitement. However, the plot was a neutral point for me as I have seen worse, but it felt rushed. The characters were not very deep at all, and were very frustrating! I felt so frustrated by the team dynamics/actions/interactions i was nearly pulling out my hair yelling out "why are you doing that!?" orI found the movie enjoyable and impressive on three dimensions: theme, visuals and excitement. However, the plot was a neutral point for me as I have seen worse, but it felt rushed. The characters were not very deep at all, and were very frustrating! I felt so frustrated by the team dynamics/actions/interactions i was nearly pulling out my hair yelling out "why are you doing that!?" or "why aren't you doing this!?". Also the crew seemed incapable of utilising the technology they had to aid their situations, and often didn't act like scientists! Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2012
    Awesome visuals and audio! Cool Alien planet, something we haven't seen before, cool aliens....plot was one of the worst plots ever though....so many problems with it and the characters, its actually kinda funny its so bad. Would only recommend this movie if you aren't going to see it to take it seriously, but to have some fun. I was pretty let down being a huge fan of Ridley Scott andAwesome visuals and audio! Cool Alien planet, something we haven't seen before, cool aliens....plot was one of the worst plots ever though....so many problems with it and the characters, its actually kinda funny its so bad. Would only recommend this movie if you aren't going to see it to take it seriously, but to have some fun. I was pretty let down being a huge fan of Ridley Scott and Alien, but I admit it was still entertaining through the first watch even though it hardly made any sense...Not sure if I'd watch it again, but I don't watch a lot of movies more than once. Expand
  15. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus is the prequel/reboot/spin-off to original Alien film by Ridley Scott. The film revolves around Elizabeth Shaw's quest to find humanity's creators after finding cave paintings leading her to believe they were created by alien visitors. Shaw is able to gain financial endorsement for an expedition to the unknown planet in the cave paintings by the notorious Weyland Industries.Prometheus is the prequel/reboot/spin-off to original Alien film by Ridley Scott. The film revolves around Elizabeth Shaw's quest to find humanity's creators after finding cave paintings leading her to believe they were created by alien visitors. Shaw is able to gain financial endorsement for an expedition to the unknown planet in the cave paintings by the notorious Weyland Industries. Will Elizabeth find the answers she is looking for or will her discovery lead to the destruction of the human race.

Story: 7/10 The story is built upon the origins of the mysterious space jockey corpse found in the abandoned ship in Alien. However this movie does not bend over backwards to give fans answers, instead it creates more questions leading to the impression of further sequels. This is both a positive and a negative, as it creates a whole other side of the Alien universe to be explored but leaves you wanting more. Prometheus continues with that classic Alien storyline, with a discovery, the cast being picked off one by one and an explosive finale. My only concern was that scenes were weaved together towards with end of the film.

Acting & Characters: 10/10 The performances throughout the cast was magnificent with character having their own priorities about dealing with their discovery. The main cast in made of a diverse range of characters such as David the unpredictable android, the, Vickers, the stone cold Weyland representative and Fifield, money hungry contractor who is off at the first site of trouble. My only concern with the cast is that the majority of the 17 member crew are lost beneath the larger character and die without saying a single line. Noomi Rapace's performance as Elizabeth is superb and you can easily get swept up in her enthusiastic attitude to find her origins, similar to Drake in the Uncharted game series. Michael Fassbender's portrayal as the fascinating android David with his own motives without any regard for the well-being of the crew.

Set, Costumes & Graphics: 9/10

The atmosphere of the is a dream come true for any Alien fan with stunning graphics, an authentic Alien rather than prison or a small American town like some of the past films and tons of Weyland logos. The graphics is space scenes and the engineer's control room are truly beautiful especially if compared to the original Alien film made 30 years before. As with the Star Wars prequels this does pose some problems as Prometheus is set 30 years before the events of Alien and the technology looks like its set 50 years after. Prometheus features new and redesigned alien creatures with some with a great refreshing look and others looking plain silly.

Enjoyment: 6/10 I found the first third of this film amazing and was easily swept up adventure feel. The film then quickly became much darker and gruesome as you can aspect from an Alien film. This is where the Prometheus started to lose me with scenes moving very quickly and too many types of aliens and characters to keep up with. However I found the rising tensions between the main characters throughout the film intriguing to watch. In conclusion I left the film with feeling dreadful after my questions were unanswered, more direction in the middle of the and some quite horrific scenes. However I hope if it gets a sequel that it gives more answers, improves the pacing throughout the film but continues the fantastic character development and stunning environments.

Overall Rating: 7.8/10
  16. Jun 10, 2012
    My friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. HereMy friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. Here is my checklist of why I loved this movie.. Very good cinematography, the best CGI and visual affects to date, alien references, tense scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat, and finally this is just an awesome sci-fi movie. Prometheus had its flaws however as other reviewers have pointed out. If you go into this movie with high expectations you will be let down. The movie raised more questions than answered. There is little character development and over all the script could have been better. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie. Just go to be entertained. Expand
  17. Jun 11, 2012
    Prometheus combines all the great aspects of a sci-fi film (special effects, cinematography, futuristic technology) with an absolutely insulting to intelligence philosophy. When Scott tries to answer life's biggest questions he gives you the impression of a 15 year old kid with a religious upbringing who doesn't understand how anything in life works. The crew of 17 supposed "scientists"Prometheus combines all the great aspects of a sci-fi film (special effects, cinematography, futuristic technology) with an absolutely insulting to intelligence philosophy. When Scott tries to answer life's biggest questions he gives you the impression of a 15 year old kid with a religious upbringing who doesn't understand how anything in life works. The crew of 17 supposed "scientists" are scripted to say things most scientists, or even lay people will cringe at. But the film is filled with a few good thrill rides and Fassbender is fantastic as usual. If you want to see another brain dead blockbuster this ones for you. Expand
  18. Jun 19, 2012
    Yesterday I grabbed the popcorn, double sized drink, decided to leave the 3D glasses and sat down to watch Prometheus at my local cinema. I
  19. Jun 15, 2012
    Beautiful movie that must be seen in 3D. Fantastic premise and entertaining all the way through. From reading some of the reviews prior to seeing the movie I anticipated being a little disappointed by plot holes or bad characters or a less than acceptable ending to the story. This wasn't the case at all for me. In fact, I appreciated how some of the unknowns were left unanswered. If I hadBeautiful movie that must be seen in 3D. Fantastic premise and entertaining all the way through. From reading some of the reviews prior to seeing the movie I anticipated being a little disappointed by plot holes or bad characters or a less than acceptable ending to the story. This wasn't the case at all for me. In fact, I appreciated how some of the unknowns were left unanswered. If I had to point to any negative aspect of the film I found myself a little disappointed some of the characters simply didn't respond to situations in realistic ways. Even though I wouldn't call this a horror film at all, it's suspenseful and creepy, it felt like some of the people were running up the stairs when they should have been running out the front door. The movie was so well done I just found it frustrating they couldn't write more realistic responses. If you are a fan of science fiction, space, suspense, or are piqued by the topic of our origins, this movie is a must see. Expand
  20. Jun 15, 2012
    Unanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so itUnanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so it was stupid" comments. Not every movie is meant for every audience member and I do understand that, but a true fan of the series might want to do a little research before stewing out bile. Don't understand the beginning scene, the motivations of the characters, or how intense terror can cause someone to act irrationally? Try finding an answer! The fact that every writer must dumb down their vision to spoon feed the masses is outrageous. the "From Clay to Fire" thesis was a great read and gave but one explanation to the events that unfold in Prometheus. When dealing with a dead race there are always questions...to this day many arguments exist on a wide range of subjects about long dead cultures here on earth. To think one movie should unravel the mysteries of the universe and spread it paper-thin for all to behold is asking a bit much even for Hollywood. Prometheus gave us a brief glimpse into man's eternal struggle to craft god into our own image and I, for one, was grateful for the experience. Expand
  21. Jun 25, 2012
    Prometheus kicks ass if you love real sci-fi you are going to love Prometheus , if you loved Avengers, Transfromers and Battle Ship your are going to Hate it! IT'S NOT An ALIEN MOVIE! 10/10
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    I expected so much more from this movie.
    A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
    Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks. I'll
    I expected so much more from this movie.
    A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
    Well, it's not.
    Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions.
    I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for.
  23. Jul 10, 2012
    Best I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefsBest I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefs of our origin, our knowledge of the universe, and the ultimate questions of what reality even is. I cannot wait to see the sequels, which will have even more action and full scale warfare (like Alien vs Aliens). Loved it!! Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job givingI liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  25. Aug 7, 2012
    Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
    Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
    Desde el poco respeto hacia la saga hasta los numerosos "bichos" hechos de un plástico blanco, que da toda la impresión que es de alguna sobra de una película de los 90, esta película solo hace que te desesperes. Que te retuerzas en tu asiento de agonía por un final que nunca llega.
    Grandes cantidades de incoherencias y nulidad de respuestas, aunque se anunciara como lo contrario.
    En fin, no merece la pena gastar tiempo y dinero por "esto".
    Reflexión: ¿Donde queda el alienigena fosilizado con un agujero en el pecho, desde donde se supone que salio un alien, de la película Alien de 1979?
  26. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  27. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  28. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
  30. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
  31. Dec 31, 2012
    I have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the questionI have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the question is asked. Can they trust Dr Shaw's and Dr Halloways Engineers(names two of the scientist's give who they believe are there creators). This movie contains a good cast containing Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Naomi Rapice, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Logan Marshel-green. This movie however is a bit boring for in parts and relies heavily on aliens killing people, but i guess thats just the sci-fi genre. So over all a great movie for people who love the Sci-fi genre. Expand
  32. Feb 16, 2013
    A new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas andA new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas and Theron in it but beyond that the plot and story are poor and the aliens tie in is just rubbish. I left the cinema feeling really sad about this film then again for me it's been follwoing in a long line of bad aliens movies. Alien (epic) still one hell of a movie with bit that make me jump even though I've seem them 100 times
    Aliens watch the special ed (epic) this is still one of the greatest action movies of all time
    Alien 3 trying to be Alien but still watchable
    Alien 4 trying to be Aliens this is where the rot sets in and the series starts to go down hill
    AvP Appauling
    AvP Requim Appauling
    Prometheus Extremely graphically superb with some great performances but ultimately in the poorer end of the franchise.

Ultimately Prometheus is visually stunning but falls short with the story and Aliens tie in and spoils the lore somewhat. All of the Aliens computer games have also been extremely poor also which is odd as they simply have the best ip for both the movies and games
  33. May 27, 2013
    What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
    I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense.
  34. Jun 9, 2012
    Spoiler Alert! Ok, Lets get this clear from the beginning. anyone looking for an Alien prequel is going to be disappointed in this film!
    Apart from a couple of strategicely inserted scenes, the creatures in this film bear NO resemblance to the Aliens we know and love. No eggs, no face huggers, aliens look nothing like the ones we know, egg transferral by kissing and drinking a glass of doped wine. Basically the writers and Ridley Scott took all the aspects of the Alien we know and...well..ignored them. It's obvious that the alien prequel tag is there purely as a marketing ploy to get the story lovers through the doors. The film never even properly answers the question we all asked, how did the guy get in the seat of a ship on LV-426? Where did the eggs come from? This film isn't even set on the same planet and there are no eggs..only some black slime.
    As a film it's own right, Prometheus is....ok, nothing special, lots of big camera angles, good music score, acting was ok, but a pretty weak story, no real surprises, no shock twists..
    In the end you will leave with the same questions you had 30 years ago...and a lot more new ones. But the key here is the new ones are questions I don't even care about anymore. This film spoiled the mystery created in the original and didn't replace with anything even close to worthy. A real shame!
  35. Jun 10, 2012
    Well the marketing previews showed us nothing sort of like PT Barnum with his EXITorium. And when we finally got to see the movie there was a reason they showed us nothing. It's moronic and I am being kind. Just a waste ot time and money. They promised us nothing and that is what we got. Avoid.
  36. D6M
    Jun 10, 2012
    While this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in theWhile this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in the time line between Prometheus and Alien(it would seriously take 2-3 sentences of narrative to bridge everything together...but sequel maybe?), the movie exceeded my expectations; between its amazing cinematography/visuals and convincing acting, this crazy story somehow becomes believable.
    This is far from a bad movie and the 3D version by far had the best 3D I've experienced yet(no obvious scenes with way too many people at too many varying distances or stuff flying towards my face). To wrap things up, this is a great movie that is well worth seeing on the big screen in 3D, even though it has some faults, they aren't that detrimental to the film itself, but rather it's continuity between it and it's current sequel Alien.
  37. Jun 8, 2012
    This was my most anticipated film of the summer. I have been looking forward to the exploration of truly interesting ideas from a director whose work I truly enjoy. I was disappointed. The movie is filled with stunning visuals and some truly compelling ideas, but never truly delivers on the promises it makes or the questions it asks. I don't need every question answered, but thereThis was my most anticipated film of the summer. I have been looking forward to the exploration of truly interesting ideas from a director whose work I truly enjoy. I was disappointed. The movie is filled with stunning visuals and some truly compelling ideas, but never truly delivers on the promises it makes or the questions it asks. I don't need every question answered, but there should be sufficient evidence for a discussion about what is going on. This is truly a case where the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Good performances, decent set pieces and moody, interesting visuals are all diluted by an incomplete and unsure plot. At times it is difficult to understand exactly who we are supposed to root for or why. There are many loose ends that are never tied up and the movie seems to outpace its storytelling in several sections. There is still enough here for sci-fi fans to enjoy. The engineers are interesting and their origin is a great cinematic question, but I was expecting more in terms of story arc and character progression. The plot and the excellent component parts needed to be in better sync. All of that being said, I would get in line to see the sequel. If you haven't seen this one, save it for DVD. Expand
  38. Jun 8, 2012
    The scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people reviewThe scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people review movies as what the movie set out to be. If an action movie is a good action movie, they give it a good review because it's a good action movie, not because it's a good movie. Prometheus, however, is a stunning Sci-Fi flick, an excellent horror film, and one of the best thrillers I think I've ever seen. I saw it at the midnight IMAX 3D premiere, and. was. STUNNED. Even though I saw it at what is considered a "LieMax" theater (google it), the sound was absolutely incredible! If you are a fan of Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, or Action Movies, I promise you'll love this. You'll also love it as an Alien fan, due to the countless tie-ins. This movie makes you question some of the events in it (in a good way) and think about life in general. AMAZING performances by Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron. 10/10 due to the fact that it was a great movie and gave a very satisfying release to my 1+ year anticipation for the film. Expand
  39. Jun 10, 2012
    "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money."
    "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money."
    Save your money. Watch it on DVD some day when you've run out of things do, your future self will hate you for it. I know you're a fan, you loved the last movies, you like bad movies that others don't get, sci fi movies, AVP, ...trust me this movie is dumb, full of Swiss cheese-wiz and pathetic symbolism. It's like that last season of LOST...
  40. Jun 11, 2012
    Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo,Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Sagan, Hawking) Scott brings to his tale of divine origin a host of ideals and threats. Is life the survival of the fittest or the survival of the brightest, and/or is life about faith and discovery of self and the universe? Does science buy immortality or at the least the keys to immortality or does faith unlock the secrets of immortality? Without question, the scientists and philosophers' of the enlightenment pepper the script and Scott's movie reflects his remorse that contemporary philosophers are so rare - yet Jarad Diamond, "Gun, Germs and Steel" emerges reflecting that the true enemy of mankind is not one another but bacteria and viruses or even what is hidden in the subatomic mists. Blending the constructs of religion versus faith by introducing a Voltaire element of "Candide" into the script - Scott continues to utilize the great moments of sci-fi by replicating the primordial ooze of life similar to Clark's short story. The protagonist, Shaw, played by Naomi Rapace, is without question the Eve Gene - a truth seeker, scientist and adventurer who will challenge the boundaries of science and faith with her desire to find the land of the divine, man's creators. The glue that binds the above elements together is Hawking "Grand Design" - that divinity resides in the universe and life itself. The question; will it be a singular entity, tight and congruent like a Kantian model or is life in constant need of repair? Scott and his writing team - Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof - incorporates the best of the best in grand celluliod tradition and example, touching on the intellectual dominance of the sci-fi genre of Bradbury, Asimov, Clark, Herbert with a blend of sci-fi fantasy that includes the eternal battle between good and evil, negative and positive polarity, matter and antimatter. At the same time, Scott tickles his audience with images of great moments in Sci-Fi movies - the slimy snake like creatures that are parasites (Star Gates Gao'ld), Van Danikens (Chariots of the Gods) reflecting a race of superior aliens in archeological stone, David = Hal the computer of Kubrick's 2001, and often tongue in cheek moments of Scott's own trilogy Aliens (Ash resembles David or is David really the "Lawrence of Arabia of other worlds"?) or the moral debate when Shaw removes the parasite from her body conflicts with Ripley who birthed and destroyed the hominid-alien link of DNA cross breeding.

Of course, any intelligent critic will see the next movie - the sequel - and the leap from current theoretical debate to Hawking's "Grand Design". And in doing so - will Ripley look the lens "darkly" or give his audience a tiny picture into the Divine? This movie is not for the banal or the horror advocate - it is a movie where Scott, in all integrity, uses art to mirror society. So will his intellectual critics condemn or praise Scott's vision? Will it become a provocative movie (similar to Kubrick's 2001) that will mirror current theory of our origin and the struggle to survive? What is life, where did it begin, is it Divine or Darwinism, or a combination of both or neither - and is life governed by good or evil, negative and positive, or is brith itself the singular event of life?

It is a big movie, a big challenge. I think for the most part Scott has succeeded. The challnege will be his sequel - the dynamics of the main plotting. I, for one, will be to see the results of Scott's vision. "f he is successful, he will join the ranks of enlighten men and women.
  41. Jun 12, 2012
    Appallingly poor big budget movie. Sub standard visual effects. Sub standard makeup FX. Fassbender/Theron are the only decent actors giving interesting performances here the rest are wasted/very poor with the limited dialog they are given. Apart from Theron/Fassbender the other actors could be anyone they are so average/bland & do not even belong in the movies.

Story is a jumbled mess &

Story is a jumbled mess & incomprehensible at times. Approx 90 mins of the running length consists of actors sprouting unmemorable/confusing dialog in boring darkly lite locations (80% of the movie is in underground tunnels on LV223).

Avoid at all costs this is so poor you would stuggle to sit through it all on TV in a few years its way below Alien3 as a movie going experience & atthe same poor level as Alien4.

Shockingly bad overall & has some of the most ridiculous action scenes/fights ever created (many are so bad you will laugh out loud which is certainly not the film makers intent!!).
  42. Jun 9, 2012
    You'll like the film if you go in not caring or thinking about it's ties to the Alien franchise. The negative reviews are people comparing it to Alien or picking apart things that make sense if they think about it for one minute. I would go through all the reviews and minimal reasons for hating it and why the reasons are invalid but I'm not going to waste my time.
  43. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's the thing about Prometheus: When this film was nearing release, Guillermo Del Toro said in interviews and online that it basically killed his hopes of adapting H.P. Lovecraft's horror novella "At The Mountains of Madness", because Prometheus and his film would be too similar. He was absolutely right. This film IS an adaptation of Mountains of Madness, even if Ridley Scott and the writers didn't strictly intend it to be. I will admit, some key points are different, but the more you look at Prometheus, the more it screams Mountains. For me, this is something of a conundrum, because as much as I loved this movie, it may mean never seeing Guillermo Del Toro's vision of Lovecraft come to fruition.

So what is there to say about Prometheus? There's certainly the obvious. For one, this movie is gorgeous. Everything from the sweeping, desolate landscapes down to the tiniest, nearly microscopic details, are near-perfectly conceived. For the cinematography alone, this movie is worth seeing. Of course, there's more to it than that. Michael Fassbender stands out in his role portraying the android David, sitting comfortably somewhere between the bottom of the uncanny valley and the peak of convincing humanity. He's like HAL 9000, if HAL were a little handsomer. Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron both do excellent jobs in their respective roles, each echoing different parts of what made up Ripley's personality in the previous movies. The rest of the cast turn in solid, albeit somewhat stereotyped performances, but that's forgivable seeing as they're basically the horny teens of this movie's Crystal Lake. They're certainly more likable than the cannon-fodder of most horror movies.

A common criticism of this film is that it tries too hard to be profound and cerebral, and that the plot leaves too much unresolved; the people who feel that way have probably never read Lovecraft. Sure, the ideological tug-of-war that goes on throughout the film isn't anything too new, but here it's played out in a fairly novel and interesting way, and trust me, you often won't have time to poke holes in the characters' arguments before something a little more immediate and visceral moves the plot forward. As far as I'm concerned, that's just good pacing, not a movie that can't decide whether it wants to be scary or smart. As for the supposed "plot-holes", what people are actually complaining about is the lack of explanation for why a lot of things happen in this film (why is that guy a zombie now, where did that snake thing come from, what's the deal with airplane food?). What many people don't understand is that we aren't supposed to understand, that we are dealing with forces we never could understand. This is a big element in Lovecraft fiction, and it also plays strongly into absurdist and nihilistic views (which, conveniently, are played strongly against more orderly, religious views in the film). One of the key elements of creating fear in people is taking control away from them, and by extension, also taking away understanding. This is why many things in the film go unexplained. If they had wasted 10 minutes of the movie technobabbling about mutagens and DNA and what-have-you, if what happens in the film could be understood, it would severely undercut the horror. A world without rules, without certainty or consistency, is truly a terrifying thing. The film's creators know this, and it is for this reason that they choose not to explain the whys and hows of the so-called Engineers and their creations. It makes for something truly disquieting; a universe where God isn't one of us, and he isn't on our side.
  44. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow. Can not believe all the negative reviews. It might be spaam on here honestly. This movie was amazing! the directing, the acting, the visuals, the sounds, the intense scenes, the premise of the film were all fantastic.
  45. Jun 11, 2012
    Way too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained inWay too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained in it. An earlier review by the user Taantric does a thorough job of pointing out all of the flaws. Expand
  46. Jun 11, 2012
    A mixed bag. It's no Alien or Aliens and the hybrid of dreamy sci-fi (the best thing about Prometheus) and horror (inconsistent) is at odds with each other. The movie is filled with throwaway characters and dialogue that have none of the spark and wit of Aliens. Prometheus is worth seeing for the expansive effects, but don't expect to leave with the andrenaline rush from the original andA mixed bag. It's no Alien or Aliens and the hybrid of dreamy sci-fi (the best thing about Prometheus) and horror (inconsistent) is at odds with each other. The movie is filled with throwaway characters and dialogue that have none of the spark and wit of Aliens. Prometheus is worth seeing for the expansive effects, but don't expect to leave with the andrenaline rush from the original and the first sequel. Expand
  47. Jun 12, 2012
    Ridley Scott's highly-anticipated sorta-prequel to "Alien" doesn't live up to expectations. A crew of intergalactic explorers lands on a mysterious planet, where they discover mysterious life forms (nothing original here). Rather than any real surprises or shocks, the plot unfolds in a pretty predictable mannerâ
  48. Jun 19, 2012
    The first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after wasThe first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after was monumentally worse than the last. So forget everything you thought you knew about the aliens, again like the moronic queen.. As for plot holes, there are none if you have more than four working neuron in your head. Ridley doesn't explain anything. You will never see one character explaining some part of the movie to another character that does or should already know but is really explaining for the audiences benefit. Everyone complaining about plot holes probably would have loved it if the studio had forced Ridley to add a voice over like they did with the original Blade Runner. This movie is amazing! This is where Ridley would have taken this franchise, no queen alien, no cloning Ripley, and never an A vs P. Expand
  49. Jun 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot downI really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot down your throat. The movie doesn't pander to the dull witted or people who need every question answered. If you like this type of movie and you're willing to think a little bit then you should enjoy this film immensely. Expand
  50. Jul 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I thought of Prometheus (I wish I had the energy to write a full-length review), posted elsewhere: Well, I'll be the contrarian about Prometheus - I loved it. I thought the opening moments of the film were provocative and mysterious. I got what it meant but did it really mean what I thought it did? There are no answers in this film, though the lead female scientist (Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw) becomes dogged about getting some. We are left to come up with our own. It sort of combined the naivete and passion for exploration of the early episodes of Scott Bakula's Star Trek: Enterprise with an ever-growing sense of dread. The goofiness of Rapace and Marshall-Green as Elizabeth & Charlie, the "love you baby" science couple is the innocent/naive quotient. And the moment you meet David, the android who has a penchant for looking/sounding like Peter O'Toole, you know this can't end well, knowing the history of androids in the Alien films. But the best thing about the film, beyond being beautiful to look at (I did not see it in 3-D and it was gorgeous) and intriguing enough for me to shuffle through the hallways of my mind re the earlier films, was to take that "ET phone home" nonsense about our space seed fathers being benign, loving aliens and turning it 180. I take it that most of the criticism directed at the film is by fan boys (sorry, I know y'all are passionate folks) who wanted another "Alien" horror film. While there are some extremely tense scenes (it's rated R for a reason), this film is also grand and filled with wonder in the old-style sense of what science fiction films used to be. And that's what did it for me. I would have given it a 10 but shaving off 1 point for somewhat weak character development (particularly of the supporting variety). Expand
  51. Jun 10, 2012
    Special effects and Guy Pearce's makeup were good but it seems that there's something missing in the movie and I can't tell what it is. Prometheus pales in comparison with Aliens series. And even for the lead character, Sigourney Weaver's character, Ripley, is more likable, trustworthy, and determined than Noomi Rapace's Dr. Elisabeth Shaw.
  52. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was dragged to cinema the other day and since I was dragged there I was told I can choose what we watch. I chose Prometheus, I saw the advert a few days before and thought it looked alright, so we went in (having to sit row) and I molded myself to my seat ready for a what I expected to be a mediocre sci-fi film. I was utterly mistaken, for me Prometheus is one of the best films I have seen all year. It was thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable, the film did provide a few parts that made me jump and a few parts that where extremely gory and gritty (including a cesarean to remove an alien baby). The characters where great, especially Micheal Fassbender's character, David, an android with intense loyalty to his creator. It was fantastic to see how the different characters from different backgrounds react to meeting there creators, it ended with everyone dead but two characters, one of whom was missing his body. It was defiantly a great film and I would thoroughly recommend it to any cinema goers. My favorite film of the year. Expand
  53. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  54. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  55. Jun 9, 2012
    Very Very poor attempt to remake "Alien". Director, writer and actors SHOULD have watched Alien before they made this film ... then maybe the plagiarism would have been flattering instead of pathetic.
  56. Jun 9, 2012
    BORING! UNBELIEVABLE! I had great expectations only to be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere. The action scenes are unbelievable. You can't help but feel you have seen this all before, but only in better movies. Stay away from this and go see the three stooges instead,at least the laughs in that movie are supposed to be there.
  57. Jun 8, 2012
    After all the hype, does Prometheus live up to it? Because I walked out of the theater feeling as if I was unable to determine if I liked it or not, Iâ
  58. Jun 8, 2012
    Went and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships andWent and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships and there were no real surprises i.e. no mystery or suspense. I was only pressed against the back of my chair twice, and thought it was all going to begin, but then it just simply faded to nothingness. There was never a "NO WAY!" moment. Just really left me with more questions and certainly in no way equals Alien, which I expected. I imagined before going in that this is a movie that I would have to purchased as soon as it was available. Now, I might watch it on free-to-air some night with commercials. In fact, in the end found myself laughing at stuff I saw happening. What would I give it out of 10? I am giving it a big "Meh". "We were wrong, So wrong!" Expand
  59. Nov 5, 2012
    Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale.
  60. Jun 11, 2012
    A movie of could-have-beens. Could have been written better. Could have been acted better. Prometheus is too much about corny dialogue and bungled mysticism. The characters are flat and stereotyped. I think there were 2 or 3 occasions where my wife and I made eye contact and groaned.
  61. Jun 8, 2012
    Never mind a few plot holes in this beautifully-crafted film, Prometheus is essentially Ridley Scott's grand comeback to the movie world after a string of unsuccessful flicks. From its stunningly breath-taking scenes from an alien planet to the steely hollowness of the android, David 8, played fantastically by Michael Fassbender, this movie definitely holds a place in the sci-fi universe.
  62. Jun 8, 2012
    There's something of 'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull' about Prometheus. It introduces supernatural elements where none were, perhaps, asked for. If the other Alien films (the quadrilogy anyway) never aspired to just be a B-Movie, Prometheus appears to be content, for much of the film, to have the feel of a Lucas/Speilberg Saturday morning kid's TV show. There is too much knowingThere's something of 'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull' about Prometheus. It introduces supernatural elements where none were, perhaps, asked for. If the other Alien films (the quadrilogy anyway) never aspired to just be a B-Movie, Prometheus appears to be content, for much of the film, to have the feel of a Lucas/Speilberg Saturday morning kid's TV show. There is too much knowing comedy of the 'If I do this, I hope that something bad doesn't happen- ok, I'll do it anyway' kind. Alien was set on a spaceship but it could have been any type of haunted house (albeit a quasi-industrial one) filled with foreboding and dread. Prometheus doesn't have this sense- it seems to set out to ask more profound questions than it does to profoundly scare. I doubt that it could have scared quite as much as the bizarre hybrids of the flawed (in terms of Ripley's character) but underrated Alien Resurrection anyway.
    In a way it satisfyingly, and orderly, displays the creation of the (presumably) first Alien (even though Ridley Scott has apparently said that this is not an Alien prequel despite appearances to the contrary). But it does so around some very foolhardy people. Some of the final parts of the film trying to evade being crushed (twice) by a spaceship owe more to the likes of Independence Day than the quiet realism of the original Alien film and there is a patronising comment about humans being superior to robots, which in the events of this film( but not Alien) is not the case.
  63. Jun 8, 2012
    I can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accentI can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accent is jarring at times but only because I knew she was aiming for and severely missing an English accent. A throwaway line could have explained it. Which brings me to the script. It was fine, perfunctory if a little spotty dialogue wise. I can't blame the films problems on the script exactly because in a lot of ways the scriptwriter is only putting on paper what the filmmaker/producers instructed. However this doesn't excuse Damon Lindelof entirely as this film has his fingerprints all over it and seeing him trotted out with Ridley Scott for all the press junkets makes me suspect Sir Ridley was pressurised into using Lindelof by the studio and wanted him there to take half the blame. Not that Ridley escapes fault because in my eyes the main problem with this film is the story. It mirrors Damon Lindelof's previous project Lost in that it poses so many interesting questions then completely fails to resolve them. It's excellent first two acts lead to a staggeringly awful third act that lurches from one disaster to the next just like the crew. This film cries out for a satisfying conclusion which never arrives and pays lip service to the Alien franchise with unnecessary and out of place developments in the last ten minutes. The script obviously went through numerous drafts with story elements that featured heavily in earlier drafts being excised but their remnants still left in the film creating a series of incongruous plot points and details that both baffle and annoy. In summary 6/10 a schizophrenic mess that with a tighter script and story could have been the triumph we all expected. Expand
  64. Jun 9, 2012
    I must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideasI must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideas were not developed. They were laid out near the beginning almost never to be referred to again. Prometheus' main flaw lies in it's lack of explanation and loose ends. Many things went unexplained and in the grand scheme of things the viewer is left asking why and how. It is also important to take note of the performances in the film. Fassbender is incredible pretty much carnying the film on his back building the intrigue and suspense which is the thing it solely relies on. Noomi Repace is terrible in one of the leading roles and is a total miscast. All in all Prometheus is a mixed bag that won't forget to entertain. Expand
  65. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP filmsI know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  66. Jun 9, 2012
    It was a good movie. Definitely recommend. Really engaging story with decent suspense and effects. The movie is set in the Alien universe and explores some of its backstory. It is gritty, dark, and mildly violent with good si-fi horror/thriller moments. I give it a 7 because it is somewhat hard to follow since the background story and everything revolving around it is very intricate andIt was a good movie. Definitely recommend. Really engaging story with decent suspense and effects. The movie is set in the Alien universe and explores some of its backstory. It is gritty, dark, and mildly violent with good si-fi horror/thriller moments. I give it a 7 because it is somewhat hard to follow since the background story and everything revolving around it is very intricate and events and aspects of the movie are not totally explained. I ended up reading more about the Alien universe and fans' take on the movie and its connects afterwards which really helped me understand it more. I think a great movie wouldn't require that effort. Regardless I liked the story and mythos around the whole thing and still recommend highly. Expand
  67. Jun 8, 2012
    I'm not sure what people were expecting from Prometheus. I've read reviews that asked for more gore much like Aliens, Ridley's 2nd film in the Alien franchise, more character development with a tip of the hat to Blade Runner, and more answers. ***SPOILER ALERT*** You are left with more questions by the time the movie ends. Ok so I haven't actually "SPOILED" anything but the internet isI'm not sure what people were expecting from Prometheus. I've read reviews that asked for more gore much like Aliens, Ridley's 2nd film in the Alien franchise, more character development with a tip of the hat to Blade Runner, and more answers. ***SPOILER ALERT*** You are left with more questions by the time the movie ends. Ok so I haven't actually "SPOILED" anything but the internet is buzzing with expectations of clarity by the time the credits roll. There are a few things you need to understand before watching this film. It takes place on an entirely different planet. So, the "Space Jockey" from the original film is not in this movie. Prometheus takes place on a desolate yet stunningly beautiful LV-227 while the original is on drab and scary LV-426. It's a simple mistake to not realize this unless you've done your homework. The crew that everyone is so upset with have been in hypersleep (or whatever the term is) for 2 years. None of them are familiar with each other unless there was a relationship established before the mission. Also, the events that unfold during the movie take about one week; from Christmas to New Years Day. This is hardly any time to actually develop a character, but the ones that Ridley Scott have provided are brilliant, albeit stereotypical of their own roles.

The mission of the Prometheus is unknown to the crew until they are awakened. Their mission is basically to explore an â
  68. Jun 29, 2013
    Wow. Thank goodness I didn't waste the money on a cinema ticket to see this when it came out (despite being tempted to thanks to the ridiculous levels of hype Ridley Scott generated). Prometheus is NOT "inscrutable", "mysterious", "intellectual" or any of the other terms used to describe it on fanboy webforums and YouTube rants claiming to "understand" its "true meaning". It is aWow. Thank goodness I didn't waste the money on a cinema ticket to see this when it came out (despite being tempted to thanks to the ridiculous levels of hype Ridley Scott generated). Prometheus is NOT "inscrutable", "mysterious", "intellectual" or any of the other terms used to describe it on fanboy webforums and YouTube rants claiming to "understand" its "true meaning". It is a fantastically stupid film. End of. The only redeeming feature is the gorgeous production design and cinematography. It LOOKS great. But looks can be deceiving. Prometheus doesn't make sense NOT because it is cleverer than we are, but because it is far, far, FAR stupider than we are. It is confusing not because it knows something we don't, but because it is poorly cobbled-together archaeo-religio-scientific claptrap that simply doesn't make sense. The entire film (and all subplots therein) rest upon the shaky foundations known in the business as "the Idiot Plot". NOBODY in this film, at any time does anything that could in a favourable light be labelled as intelligent. Every decision of every character is totally stupid and acts simply to bring them closer to death, which is (surprise surprise) the point of a stupid space-slasher movie. Right now this excrable crud is battling with Batman and Robin for the honour of Worst Film I Have Ever Seen. It really is THAT bad. Expand
  69. Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the otherRidley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the other hand though, there is a whole lot of plotholes, unanswered questions and frustratingly stupid characters. Some of those questions might be just a set-off point for the sequel, but a movie's got to have a finished story to be fully enjoyable. However, I must say that most of the plotholes didn't spoil my impression of the movie, I started thinking of them a bit after I got out of the cinema. All in all, it is a cool sci-fi thriller with immersive 3D, but don't expect it to become a cult classic like Alien. Expand
  70. Jun 8, 2012
    Alright let's just get this out of the way....NO this movie will not live up to the crazy hype to be on par with the original Alien films. However, what Prometheus manages to be is a beautifully shot, disturbing, scary, interesting new chapter of the world in which the Alien series takes place. Are there plot holes? YES....do they completely ruin the movie like many critics are claiming?Alright let's just get this out of the way....NO this movie will not live up to the crazy hype to be on par with the original Alien films. However, what Prometheus manages to be is a beautifully shot, disturbing, scary, interesting new chapter of the world in which the Alien series takes place. Are there plot holes? YES....do they completely ruin the movie like many critics are claiming? NO. While there is not as much silent tension we all have come to know and love from the original films, Scott still makes this planet and the unknown dangers of it come across as disturbingly terrifying. The cinematography and score are gorgeous and the CG is tastefully used. Everyone complaining about the continuity of the ending needs to read a little more into the facts of this movie.....not the same planet people!!! Overall Prometheus is not as amazing as I had hoped, but honestly nothing will reclaim the gold of the originals. But, the film is in no way a bad movie. Definitely still one of my favorites in a long time and I enjoyed every moment, plot holes aside it's an awesome time. SEE PROMETHEUS!!!!!! Expand
  71. May 9, 2013
    I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
    It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
    No story what so ever.
    Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
  72. Jun 8, 2012
    The problem with this film is that it could never live up to the expectation visually it is very good even though the 3D again is poor no surprises there but the script is awful , you donâ
  73. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue doesn't seem to come from an organic place. It's the subtlest breaking of the fourth wall. The non-sequitir, delivered by the father, who in that instant, perhaps, temporally serves in the capacity of a ventriloquist's dummy playing, for dialectical purposes, the devil's advocate, could be the linchpin of understanding the abounding vagaries in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, the 2011 award-winning film that, as a result, was misinterpreted by literal-minded moviegoers who wanted the film to align perfectly with other Christian-minded ilk, most of which account for, without any provocation from an ancillary voice abetting a polar ideology, the existence of God. In a diner, the filmmaker interjects on the father's behalf(Mr. O'Brien has the filmic spirit), when after having just harassed the waitress about her slow service, he asks his boys: "Subjective point-of-view, you know the difference?" It's a rhetorical question, of course. Jack, in particular, knows better not to speak while his father is pontificating. "Subjective," the failed musician explains, "means it comes from your mind. It can't be proven." It's Malick himself, not Jack's dad, who pontificates against the film's seemingly didactic perspective that God created the universe. Consider the signs and syntax. Rendered in Kubrick's film language, with a start, we realize how the whispered petitioning of the mother and her eldest son to God could, in fact, be in complete discordance with the cosmic imagery. Are they speaking to the void? After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey, advocated science. Unmistakably atheist, the "Dawn of Man" sequence featured monkeys, our progenitors, as an afirmation of evolution, a theory first put forward by Charles Darwin. The absence of monkeys from the timeline in The Tree of Life would seem to be promoting a creationist take on man's origins, especially if you factor in the illustrated monkeys from the storybook(read: evolution is made-up) that the mother delivers to her three malleable sons. And yet, the 1968 sci-fi classic gets slyly evoked in the violent actions of a boy, the neighborhood gang's ringleader, who like the monkey that employs an antelope bone in order to smash things, also refashions a found object as a weapon, some piece of wood, which he brings down repeatedly on a garbage can. Science fiction(which, here, would later become science fact) is addressed more directly in the next scene, when Jack, galvanized by the potential for space exploration through the covert reading at night of a Jack Coogan and Fletcher Pratt book, helps launch a frog into the air via rocket, killing this proto-astronaut, and God, in the process. Although By Spaceship to the Moon precludes alien life forms, speculative fiction, as a general rule, is thematically secular, which begs the question: Is there a God in The Tree of Life? For sure, his holiness, has no hand in The Exploding Chest of Life(aka Alien). "Oh, God!" cries Lambert, the bloodied chief navigator of the Nostromo, as the xenomorph comes bursting through Kane's pulmonary cavity. Even if her lament was more than the mere cursing of an atheist, like Jack's mother, whose similarly phrased entreaty concerning her dead son goes unanswered, Lambert would come to realize that nobody can hear you scream. Heaven isn't listening. Vasquez(from Aliens), presumably, a Christian, because of the cross she wears around her neck, can afford to be religious, since the butchy-looking soldier's compeers are mercenaries like herself, not scientists. The private dies in a self-triggered air shaft blast, alongside Lt. Golman, no doubt comforted by the reassuring concept of ascension. As it turns out, in Prometheus, the sideways sequel to the original, we learn that the fighting between man and alien throughout the series is a sort of civil war. Vasquez's faith never gets tested. The soldier never learns that she had a hand in gunning down her maker's children, the mutated ancestors of mankind. In Prometheus, despite the fact that a startling series of events conclusively proves both the theologians and the evolutionists wrong, Elizabeth retrieves her cross from David, even though the relic lost its original meaning. She tells the android, "It's what I choose to believe," subjectivist words that sound naive, since the diegetic world of Prometheus lacks the fluidity innate in The Tree of Life filmscape, where God and science duke it out for adherents. Science, arguably, wins in the final sequence. Jack, by all appearances, works in a building more exciting than the one in Being John Malkovich. Instead of finding a portal that leads to the seat of the famous actor's consciousness, Jack, while riding the elevator, gets sucked into a wormhole, where he is reunited with his family, tricked out as their younger selves. Only as a young woman, can the mother let go of her maternal pain. Like Elizabeth, she invents a heaven. Expand
  74. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  75. Jun 10, 2012
    If you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problemIf you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problem with the movie was we really don't get a good grasp what is or was the bad guy or what the point of anything is during the whole film. They casually throw a couple of twists here and there and it all falls a little flat. However, if you were able to disregard a bunch of muck including poorly written lines and some incredibly stupid and unrealistic actions taken by the side characters and just followed the protagonist grueling battle to stay alive it's overall a fairly good albeit confusing movie experience. Expand
  76. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was pretty decent. The problem lies with the lack of grandeur and cosmic "epicness" of the alien world and with the Engineers. It didn't make sense that the restored Engineer, an advanced species far surpassing our intelligence, beat up the humans bare knuckle, much like an animal. I think it would have done the movie good if the Engineer was understanding, and maybe remorseful, and tried to give the humans answers. Meanwhile, the humans, along with the Engineer battle the Alien(s), and ultimately the Engineer becomes infected, the new alien kills off the remaining humans except for Shaw, who makes it out as the last alive and escapes. Expand
  77. Jun 17, 2012
    Prometheus is a pretty good film, but some of the undeveloped characters and "plot holes you could drive a Death Star through" really let down Fassbender's superb performance and some of the best visual production I've ever seen.
  78. Jul 6, 2012
    For me, this movie was the most colossal disappointment I've had in a long time. I had super high expectations, but man, I really just thought it was bad. Charlize Theron's character is unbearable, tons of redundancies in the writing, and a it wasn't even tense. To sum up my opinion of it, I would say it's like the paper that someone wrote for school, where they put a ton of work into theFor me, this movie was the most colossal disappointment I've had in a long time. I had super high expectations, but man, I really just thought it was bad. Charlize Theron's character is unbearable, tons of redundancies in the writing, and a it wasn't even tense. To sum up my opinion of it, I would say it's like the paper that someone wrote for school, where they put a ton of work into the extra credit, but totally forgot to do the rest of the paper until the last second. Expand
  79. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspensefulPrometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspenseful movie. The horror just isn't there, and the charm of the classic and masterful Alien is no where to be seen. At its highest points, you can really feel for a character and the plight of the ship itself, but most of the characters in general give barely any good reason to care for them. David is by far the best of them, making you feel like you know him then suddenly he changes and will keep you guessing. In the visuals department, this is a fantastic looking movie, with even the barren wasteland of the planet they are on seem interesting at every angle. Beyond that though, this movie is just not up being called an "alien prequel" because the mention of anything Xenomorph at all is scarce. Am i excited to see where this will go? Yes. But is this on par with one of the greatest horror classics? Not in the slightest. Expand
  80. Jun 10, 2012
    I waited a bit for the hype to die down but also had some preconceptions going into it that it would "not be very good after all" thanks to people thinking it acceptable to flood social media with spoilers, I also know this was part 1 of probably 3 films which all helped to raise my satisfaction with film.

Had I seen it on opening night with the idea it was the greatest film in 30 years (as I was starting to believe based on the trailers) then I too would have been gutted by so many questions being raised rather than answered.
  81. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be giving this a 1 for a few good special effects, such as the probes they released in the cave, and the spacecraft, which looked cool. The rest: awful. Most of the scenes were stolen from other movies, such as the android playing basketball, hey, Sigourney already did that in Alien Resurrection. The story did not make any sense, none of the characters were the least likable, and how did these astronauts ever get the job ? They were all completely incompetent. In addition, the main female character is ugly, and she moans and screams the entire time, similar to the horrible performance of Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity', which really translates into the audience just wanting her to die. Expand
  82. Jul 18, 2012
    Name a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that weName a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that we all kinda suck. Well, maybe we'll see the light in "Prometheus 2: People Suck". Expand
  83. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien.I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  84. Jun 9, 2012
    I did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances wereI did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances were mostly great, beautiful cinematography and design, but I left the cinema puzzled. In most cases being puzzled after watching a film is indicative that the movie raised great questions and the film itself was really good, but in this case I just felt it was lazy story writing/telling. Death and dealing with death/mortality is one of the biggest subjects, but really everything said sounded heard before and half-baked. Religion is the other subject - with nothing worth remembering from what is said about it in the movie (cross gets a prominent screen time; faith/do you have faith/do you believe mentions as well; references to relationship to the god/creator are everywhere). Creation vs. destruction, new vs. old, father vs. son, creator/creation, losing parents/killing parents, androids yearning to have a soul -- all these topics seem to be raised just for the sake of raising them (sounds deep) and none of them are dealt with in an interesting way.
    Having in mind the amount of hype that preceded the film it seems to me that much of the actual story was left for the sequel and this summer viewers had to get to know the context, freshen up on the Alien references and get used to Scott's visuals.
    It's a shame because overall the story has had great potentials, actors were great, visual effects and cinematography were stunning.
  85. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With all the build-up to this film, I felt I needed to see it at the cinema, despite it not being what I normally would rush out to see. Unfortunately it never quite lives up to the promise of that first trailer. It looks amazing, the special effects are incredibly and 3D excellent, the problem is the script. Backstories and romantic subplots are haphazardly thrown in, plot points arise but are then forgotten, and too often characters make bad decisions, so that by the end (when there aren't many characters left) it isn't as affecting as it should be. The performances are fine, Fassbender and Theron are the obvious standouts, but the film is, in the end, fairly disappointing. Expand
  86. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  87. Aug 6, 2012
    First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story.First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story. I also liked the fact that the story is 1st here, characters are close 2nd. It is mandatory to mention than without Michael Fassbender`s and Charlize Theron`s exceptional performance, this movie would have ended a six out of ten. Also, for a fan of the Alien movies, this one is not in any way a pastiche nore does it interfere which the series. On the contrary - Prometheus answers some of the questions from the original Alien and mentions it in a subtle way. The story gives a pleasant feeling although one feels that answering few of the questions set over 30 years ago is the single and only purpose for this movie`s creation. I find the monsters well, silly. The action scenes are mediocre with the exception of the last one where the Prometheus takes off for the last time. Even though the suspense is probably the only thing of a thriller here, in my opinion it placed 3rd right after Aliens and Alien, because it is much better than Alien 3 and 4. It is memorable but not as nearly as the first two parts it prequels. Expand
  88. Jun 9, 2012
    There are no mind boggling horrors or astonishing new concepts presented in this prequel to Alien. But it does fill in the blanks on the "space jockey" and provides some really wonderful vistas of space exploration.
    The story and acting are no better than average yet it still managed to entertain a lifelong scifi fan like me. For viewers without a soft spot for the genre, the film will be a disappointment.
  89. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requiresThis is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requires some particular mythological knowledge, that of ancient Babylon, Zoroastrianism, and the Persian flavor of Gnostic Christianity called Manichaeism that was popular at the height of Rome. If you have read in these subjects, the meaning of the film is illuminated plainly. Prometheus is brilliant, unexpected, and nearly perfect in every aspect save one: accessibility. This film is a nut to crack. It is not Transformers or Battleship. It is art. And it is amazing. Expand
  90. Jun 17, 2012
    Firstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too manyFirstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too many problems unanswered. I actually burst out laughing in a few places as dialogue was stolen from other movies. Expand
  91. Jun 19, 2012
    I went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawnI went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawn into this story even though I went expecting not to like it. Worth seeing in theatres. Expand
  92. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus dared to go where many sci-fi movies dare not tread, a good plot. While this isn't the most astounding or amazing concoction that sci-fi has to offer, it is visually arresting and (moderately) satisfying. Prometheus had a lot to live up to as it is a spiritual prequel of sorts to Ridley Scott's first jab at the horror, Alien. To be fair Prometheus does a good job at keeping thePrometheus dared to go where many sci-fi movies dare not tread, a good plot. While this isn't the most astounding or amazing concoction that sci-fi has to offer, it is visually arresting and (moderately) satisfying. Prometheus had a lot to live up to as it is a spiritual prequel of sorts to Ridley Scott's first jab at the horror, Alien. To be fair Prometheus does a good job at keeping the horror vibe strong, that is until the action packed end. Prometheus does well enough as a stand alone film in the alien series, but there is a certain charm missing this time around. Prometheus does a lot of things right though, It answers some long time questions about certain elements in the Alien series and even throws it's own mysteries out there as well. Prometheus is also a looker, there are beautiful moments of the environment and even the technology, as well as some of the slimy creatures that would give Avatar a run for its money. This all tied together by solid performances by the lead cast members. But the film is not perfect unfortunately. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it's more of a sci-fi thriller than solid horror, this is especially apparent during the last thirty minutes. This isn't to say the film isn't without its surprise horror/ gross out scenes like that of the chestburster The movie also bites off more plot than it can chew, resulting in a half-way decent story that may leave some scratching their heads. regardless of the movies shortcomings, it is still worth it to give it a watch, the film does not answer every question it puts on the table, it answers most of them. Expand
  93. Jun 9, 2012
    Go and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that aGo and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that a director of Scott's capabilities could possibly have put together such a vacuous story. I can only assume that the ageing Ridley is fretting about What Lies Beyond and is either wholly cynical about mankind, or melancholic at the thought that man's quest for purpose and meaning in life is as fruitless as Shaw's quest for the aliens depicted in ancient man's primitive paintings. Or both. Of course, he could just have been fretting that he failed to make Alien anything more than a 'boo' movie so decided to invest Prometheus with the significance that critics claim was missing from his 1979 masterpiece. I've not read any critic who has actually explored the significance of David's modelling of himself on TE Lawrence. Is it to show that David has chosen a deeply flawed model, and thereby given himself a Sisyphean task? He'll never be a warm human while he chooses to emulate one of life's most famous Outsiders. Expand
  94. Jun 9, 2012
    A friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affectedA friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affected Sunshine, Event Horizon, Mission To Mars and nearly every other SF film of the past two decades) wherein every character becomes an idiot twenty minutes into the film and does stupid things for absolutely no reason other than to propel the plot ... except there wasn't one. Expand
  95. dz9
    Jun 17, 2012
    This movie doesn't necessarily have anything intrinsically wrong with it, but it doesn't do too much right either. But what does it do right? I'm sure everyone has heard of the amazing visuals, which it does have, but it does not necessarily make this a good movie. Also, the movie has some outstanding performance such as Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. Even theThis movie doesn't necessarily have anything intrinsically wrong with it, but it doesn't do too much right either. But what does it do right? I'm sure everyone has heard of the amazing visuals, which it does have, but it does not necessarily make this a good movie. Also, the movie has some outstanding performance such as Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. Even the main character, however a little obnoxious at time, shows up to the plate. But the acting is a double sided sword fore outside of those characters, the rest of the cast were Missing In Action, either feeling cliched or irrelevant. Bad acting isn't the only thing which plagues this movie. This movie doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. In a few scenes it sets up to be a intelligent thought provoking cinema begging the questions of life itself, but it never lets you, the audience, ponder fore it seems to have all the answers. Skip a few scenes down and the movie feels like a classic horror film with cast members being picked off one by one. Skip a few more scenes down and the movie feels like a quarantine horror flick.. These shifts in story directions never mix well and the result feels like a story that never truly has an arch. Meaning that this movie never seems to "pick up" and hit its climax, so it feels like you are watching scene after scene with no true direction to them. In the end: In Prometheus, you have some excellent acting mixed with some bad, stunning visuals, an extremely interesting premise, but added into a 3 hour movie that never hits a story arch or climax making the movie extremely, well... boring. Go see this movie if you are an Alien fan or if you are bored and the ticket is only $5, and embrace yourself for an only slightly above average cinema. Expand
  96. Jun 10, 2012
    There are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomiThere are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomi rapace was pretty good, charlize therone was decent being a **** again (Snow White). Idris elba was the ships captain again decent acting nothing major. As For everybody else i felt they were fillers their acting was decent and for small roles you didn't need much acting. The standout actor in this movie is Michael Fassbender he steals the show! his acting was superb and his character was definitely the most interesting. while watching this movie i honestly didn't care much about the other characters than i did about David (fassbenders character). And while fassbender really wasn't a "Main" character he was a supporting character who actually turns out to be a main one he definitely has a huge role and is one of the main reasons for watching this movie. The story is simple 2 archeologists along with the prometheus crew go to another planet in search for their creators (human like aliens) and they do find them! and **** hits the fan (people start dying etc. etc.) definitely a good movie i don't wanna spoil anything but it is a good time, it is a great movie, it looks fantastic beautiful movie, i really have nothing bad to say about this movie GO WATCH IT! Expand
  97. Jun 14, 2012
    I saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender'sI saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender's role as David because he's more like a arrogant and sometimes humble gentleman, but he's more of a robot-like clone from "I. Robot." But the height and sounds of the movie gives you enough adrenaline, your heart pumps, and your feet is shaking as you go into a terrifying and explorational feeling you might can expect from both James Cameron and Ridley Scott. I've heard Prometheus is gonna be out on Blu-Ray sometime in the fall of 2012, but I'll save my money. From now on, I have to see this again. Expand
  98. Sep 24, 2012
    The whole movie was like the first chapter or an introduction to a bog si-fi book . So in a way the plot does sucks big time . There was no answer what so ever . all they did is made more and more question . And that's not a very good way to end a movie . Its like we have to wait 2/3 years to find out whether we like this movie or not .
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were the best of this year . Music was good though mixing wasn't perfect .
    Hope the sequel wont waste our time by creating more and more questions !

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.