Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1992 Ratings
1,198
Watch Now
bozinozJun 8, 2012
Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it'sFirstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
jroman213Jun 8, 2012
It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoyingIt was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag Expand
FolstarJul 14, 2012
This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably beThis film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
JonDocOct 19, 2012
On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2. This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked.
VerbalCantJul 9, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read the other negatives... this is as bad as serious movies can get, and I enjoyed the red reviews more. There are so many plot holes that it is not even worth analysing them. People seem to make excuses by looking for depth, depth which just isn't there. The symbolism can be summed up in two sentences, or a one word title, which is about the best thing in the film. The dialogue is just mind-bogglingly bad. The beauty of Alien was it's naturalism. People talked like where they were and who they were. This film tries to replicate that, by some pointless bickering between unimportant characters, and some portentous dross from other side characters. You end up wanting to rip everyone's head off to see if they're a robot.

The other excuse people raise is that it looks good. It doesn't. It looks like Armageddon crossed with Dune for 2012... and I mean that in a bad way. Throw in Biff from BTTF (were no actual old people available for the role?), suicidal space jockeys, zombies, attack snakes... and some holograms. Seriously don't start me on the holograms, I can imagine the script session: "We need to move the plot along"
"How about some holograms of people running away from something?"
"Won't people notice that makes no sense at all?"
"Probably not... don't overestimate your audience."
"Cool, what about learning to start the alien ship?"
"No problem, we'll use the holograms to show the alien controlling his ship with a flute."
"You are da man!"

I think my main problem was that I wanted to take it seriously. Had I known going in it was "Alien know what you did last summer" I would have sat back and enjoyed the laughs.
FinetalPiesOct 27, 2013
This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a reallyThis movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting. Expand
suckatashJun 9, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
TomHeringJun 10, 2012
Story, characters, ideas, visuals - nothing in Prometheus surprised me. Which is the worst thing you can say about any piece of entertainment. (Gross-outs don't count as genuine surprises.)
HoldSteady76Jun 8, 2012
A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed exceptA small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
SwiftyJun 10, 2012
Poor attempt at cobbling together a new mythology. Good sci-fi is rare; this wasn't even close. While alien movies ranged from pure terror, ego-driven, vain militaristic blends and various other facets, they were at least focused. ThisPoor attempt at cobbling together a new mythology. Good sci-fi is rare; this wasn't even close. While alien movies ranged from pure terror, ego-driven, vain militaristic blends and various other facets, they were at least focused. This movie's lofty ideals execute themselves so badly that one wonders if the director had gotten too familiar with his intent that he assumed others seeing this would simply see his cohesive sweeping grandness that probably resides in head alone. Not so. Director's costly error. Expand
youthcrisisJun 12, 2012
Acting in this movie is bad, there is an uninteresting plot full of senseless and illogical stuff where some of it it's based on premise which is of course nothing new to sci-fi genre. We have an alien DNA, besides all those other crap seenActing in this movie is bad, there is an uninteresting plot full of senseless and illogical stuff where some of it it's based on premise which is of course nothing new to sci-fi genre. We have an alien DNA, besides all those other crap seen and mentioned - oh come on...

Nothing new there judging by today's Hollywood standards.

However the thing that really saddened me the most was the unstoppable raping of HR Giger's design which is obviously something that in the mind of Ridley Scott should make this film looking interesting, looking ''alien'' . But he pretty much failed there as well. Why? Because he already used it once when he used it with the purpose in the first alien.
Trying to repeat that effect is just silly and it can easily be compared with what Lucas did with raping SW saga.
Regarding that ''Bumblebee'' design of Prometheus I wont even talk about. That kind of design totally doesn't fits this movie.

It seems that even the greatest directors don't know when to stop.

I'm giving this movie 1/10 only because the first 3 minutes of this movie were very interesting and original which confirms the fact that a good movie can still be made.
Fark_pantsJun 8, 2012
Cinematography does not make a great movie. While there are beautiful scenes and landscapes, as well as imaginative displays of future technology, the plot drags this movie into Hades - an apt reference, considering one of the main issuesCinematography does not make a great movie. While there are beautiful scenes and landscapes, as well as imaginative displays of future technology, the plot drags this movie into Hades - an apt reference, considering one of the main issues with this film is it's half-baked ideology and the decision of the writers to not even fully explore or develop this history.

Which is it? An action film? A sci-fi philosophy film in the Aliens universe? Whatever the writers were trying to accomplish, they stopped trying after 60 minutes.

The movie feels as if the writers got to about an hour's worth of the script, and then just spitballed it from there. The acting has some bright points, but that's guaranteed based on the caliber of some of the actors (Noomi Rapace does her best with this seriously flawed script. Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender, as always, are great).

This movie deserves 3 out of 10 stars. More enthusiastic reviews have to be basing their review on previous movies in the series, because this was a film with great, but squandered, potential.
dougreesJun 10, 2012
PROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, thoughPROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old man makeup when you could get, like, a real old man?? Pretty awful, imho. (Upon reflection, obviously there must have been footage of a young Guy Pearce that didn't make the final print. Even more laziness; my g.f. and I sat there the entire time thinking "why is this guy MADE UP??") Good to know: $200+ million and you can still suck. Expand
MillstoneJun 8, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is what I learnt from this prequel to Alien:
* The elephantine face of the space jockey was a helmet, hiding way more human like traits. The design of the Na'vi had more originality than that.
* The original facehugger was a giant squid that developed within a woman's uterus after she had sex with a man suffering from a worm infection that had turned another man into a zombie.
* Even if the music does its best to inspire sadness, distress or urgency, it will only highlight just how bland every scene feels.
MikefromAngusOct 5, 2012
so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cutso.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
eulersnumberJun 10, 2012
empty and pretentious all at once! there must be a better version out there than this one, i.e. the director's cut. otherwise, how could one make a movie out of such an empty and crappy script?

multiple discontinuities, no character

multiple discontinuities, no character development other than that of the android, so many contradictions, blah blah blah.

what a waste of $12.
wuffleJun 12, 2012
The special effects & 3D are ok, but the storyline is slack and muddled, unlike Alien. The characters are poorly developed: Charlize Theron is totally wasted and Noomi Rapace is nowhere close to her performances in "The Girl Who" (SwedishThe special effects & 3D are ok, but the storyline is slack and muddled, unlike Alien. The characters are poorly developed: Charlize Theron is totally wasted and Noomi Rapace is nowhere close to her performances in "The Girl Who" (Swedish version). Michael Fassbender lamely reprises Hal from 2001 and/or Ash from Alien. Really disappointing. Expand
JeffstrodlJun 25, 2012
Prometheus kicks ass if you love real sci-fi you are going to love Prometheus , if you loved Avengers, Transfromers and Battle Ship your are going to Hate it! IT'S NOT An ALIEN MOVIE! 10/10
KuarinofuFeb 18, 2013
I expected so much more from this movie.
A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a
I expected so much more from this movie.
A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that?
Well, it's not.
Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions.
But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks.
I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for.
pikisnikisAug 7, 2012
Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
Desde el poco respeto hacia la saga hasta los numerosos "bichos" hechos de un plástico blanco, que da toda la impresión que es de alguna sobra de una película de los 90, esta película solo hace que te desesperes. Que te retuerzas en tu asiento de agonía por un final que nunca llega.
Grandes cantidades de incoherencias y nulidad de respuestas, aunque se anunciara como lo contrario.
En fin, no merece la pena gastar tiempo y dinero por "esto".
Reflexión: ¿Donde queda el alienigena fosilizado con un agujero en el pecho, desde donde se supone que salio un alien, de la película Alien de 1979?
coastermongerDec 28, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
HucksterJan 20, 2013
What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). ThisWhat a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
BossukJun 9, 2012
Spoiler Alert! Ok, Lets get this clear from the beginning. anyone looking for an Alien prequel is going to be disappointed in this film!
Apart from a couple of strategicely inserted scenes, the creatures in this film bear NO resemblance to the Aliens we know and love. No eggs, no face huggers, aliens look nothing like the ones we know, egg transferral by kissing and drinking a glass of doped wine. Basically the writers and Ridley Scott took all the aspects of the Alien we know and...well..ignored them. It's obvious that the alien prequel tag is there purely as a marketing ploy to get the story lovers through the doors. The film never even properly answers the question we all asked, how did the guy get in the seat of a ship on LV-426? Where did the eggs come from? This film isn't even set on the same planet and there are no eggs..only some black slime.
As a film it's own right, Prometheus is....ok, nothing special, lots of big camera angles, good music score, acting was ok, but a pretty weak story, no real surprises, no shock twists..
In the end you will leave with the same questions you had 30 years ago...and a lot more new ones. But the key here is the new ones are questions I don't even care about anymore. This film spoiled the mystery created in the original and didn't replace with anything even close to worthy. A real shame!
fantasyJun 10, 2012
Well the marketing previews showed us nothing sort of like PT Barnum with his EXITorium. And when we finally got to see the movie there was a reason they showed us nothing. It's moronic and I am being kind. Just a waste ot time and money.Well the marketing previews showed us nothing sort of like PT Barnum with his EXITorium. And when we finally got to see the movie there was a reason they showed us nothing. It's moronic and I am being kind. Just a waste ot time and money. They promised us nothing and that is what we got. Avoid. Expand
TeaspoonMDJun 10, 2012
"I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money."
"I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money."
Save your money. Watch it on DVD some day when you've run out of things do, your future self will hate you for it. I know you're a fan, you loved the last movies, you like bad movies that others don't get, sci fi movies, AVP, ...trust me this movie is dumb, full of Swiss cheese-wiz and pathetic symbolism. It's like that last season of LOST...
PC-Gamer-FanJun 12, 2012
Appallingly poor big budget movie. Sub standard visual effects. Sub standard makeup FX. Fassbender/Theron are the only decent actors giving interesting performances here the rest are wasted/very poor with the limited dialog they are given.Appallingly poor big budget movie. Sub standard visual effects. Sub standard makeup FX. Fassbender/Theron are the only decent actors giving interesting performances here the rest are wasted/very poor with the limited dialog they are given. Apart from Theron/Fassbender the other actors could be anyone they are so average/bland & do not even belong in the movies.

Story is a jumbled mess & incomprehensible at times. Approx 90 mins of the running length consists of actors sprouting unmemorable/confusing dialog in boring darkly lite locations (80% of the movie is in underground tunnels on LV223).

Avoid at all costs this is so poor you would stuggle to sit through it all on TV in a few years its way below Alien3 as a movie going experience & atthe same poor level as Alien4.

Shockingly bad overall & has some of the most ridiculous action scenes/fights ever created (many are so bad you will laugh out loud which is certainly not the film makers intent!!).
ascoltami86May 27, 2013
What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
I only liked the Engineer
I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense.
doktourtvJun 9, 2012
Very Very poor attempt to remake "Alien". Director, writer and actors SHOULD have watched Alien before they made this film ... then maybe the plagiarism would have been flattering instead of pathetic.
besckecaJun 9, 2012
BORING! UNBELIEVABLE! I had great expectations only to be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere. The action scenes are unbelievable. You can't help but feel you have seen this all before, but only in better movies. Stay away from this and goBORING! UNBELIEVABLE! I had great expectations only to be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere. The action scenes are unbelievable. You can't help but feel you have seen this all before, but only in better movies. Stay away from this and go see the three stooges instead,at least the laughs in that movie are supposed to be there. Expand
billrullerMar 1, 2013
I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "YouI know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand