6.5

1. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
    Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
    Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
    What are David's motives?
    Why was the old guy hiding?
    The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
    And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
  6. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  7. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    I should give this movie a zero. The only reason I give it not is that the visuals are great. Art designers clearly put a lot of care into that, and they deserve recognition. Ridley Scott, and the guys who developed the plot and the characters on the other hand should be ashamed of pissing all over the heads of the people who wanted to watch a good alien movie, or even a decent one.
    The
    only thing I could find likeable is the initial scene and the scene where the android is in the ship and everyone else is still sleeping. The rest is ruined by the really stupid characters who act like teenagers more than scientists. They become drunk because after the first 30 minutes of exploring the planet, they (believe) they find discouraging answers. Incidentally, there's never any proof or scientific evidence shown that their statements about the "engineers" are correct. And the nonsensical plot, where nothing is explained, nothing seems to be logical, and events seem to occur randomly. For instance, the attack of the geologist when he is in "zombie mode". I don't get what that scene brings. Pure ****
    I find this movie insulting. Seen it twice and every time is worse.
    On the other hand, I kind of like the design of the proto-alien in the very end. A pity that they don't explain a damn thing about why it comes to life. In the first and second alien movie there was a clear biological cycle. In here, there's just some magical black fluid which can either kill you, or turn you into a beast, or you can use it to inseminate your partner with a giant squid which then can implant an alien embryo in another being. Yeah, sure.
    Want some real alien, watch alien 1 or 2.
  10. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, the good: I can't say I'm a big fan of 3D, but the cinematography in this film was outstanding and magnified by the 3D effect. The design, to most part, was also very impressive. And now on to the bad...
    What a very poor script. So much of the dialogue felt unnecessary, fake, or completely out of character. Naomi Rapace's Elisabeth Shaw does not convince at all. It's obvious that she is suppose to be some sort of a Ripley hard shoes to fill, seeing as Weaver's Ripley is probably one of the most iconic sci-fi female film characters of all time. Shaw just ends up a caricature of Ripley, and again this is mostly due to the lazy script. It was hard to sympathise with her in the beginning, and confusing as how she got to be who she was in the end.
    Other characters in the film were David, the android, superbly played by Michael Fassbender. There is a charming yet creepy quality about his character, who is detached yet at the same time curious. There is a feeling that emotion is there, just under the surface, and it's not all good.
    Charlize Theron plays cold, Vickers, the person "in charge". She is excellent in this role, which is, unfortunately, so limited, it seems like a waste of a good actress. The same can be said about almost everyone else in the film. So many times people seemed to appear in and out of the film, that you forgot they were of any significance. The only thing I remember about the 2 co-pilots of Prometheus was they had some kinda bet going on. Eldris Alba's captain Janek is initially portrayed as a man who cares about himself and having a good time (he leaves his post for a booty call, putting at risk other crew members) but then puts his life on the line just because someone tells him that otherwise the Earth is in danger (I personally would ask for more of an explanation). Guy Pierce plays old man Weyland why? Where there no older male actors suitable for the part? Under all that prosthetic make-up, it just seemed like, again, it was a waste of a good actor....
    There a few scenes of shock-horror in the film, which made me jump a bit out of my seat and cringe some of which a homage to the original Alien franchise, such as an alien-in-human extraction scene. Although nicely done, they alone cannot make up for a poor script. Matters of faith, infection and creation are touched upon but barely explored maybe they are anticipating a sequel? If so, let's hope they'll be more in the writing. There was virtually no suspense, no arc, or genuine shock. It felt superficial it could have been so much better.....
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    Wow. Thank goodness I didn't waste the money on a cinema ticket to see this when it came out (despite being tempted to thanks to the ridiculous levels of hype Ridley Scott generated). Prometheus is NOT "inscrutable", "mysterious", "intellectual" or any of the other terms used to describe it on fanboy webforums and YouTube rants claiming to "understand" its "true meaning". It is a fantastically stupid film. End of. The only redeeming feature is the gorgeous production design and cinematography. It LOOKS great. But looks can be deceiving. Prometheus doesn't make sense NOT because it is cleverer than we are, but because it is far, far, FAR stupider than we are. It is confusing not because it knows something we don't, but because it is poorly cobbled-together archaeo-religio-scientific claptrap that simply doesn't make sense. The entire film (and all subplots therein) rest upon the shaky foundations known in the business as "the Idiot Plot". NOBODY in this film, at any time does anything that could in a favourable light be labelled as intelligent. Every decision of every character is totally stupid and acts simply to bring them closer to death, which is (surprise surprise) the point of a stupid space-slasher movie. Right now this excrable crud is battling with Batman and Robin for the honour of Worst Film I Have Ever Seen. It really is THAT bad. Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  13. May 27, 2013
    What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
    I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from
    Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense. Expand
  14. May 24, 2013
    This is just a bad movie................................................................................................................................!
  15. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the worst movie i have ever seen. After seeing it i was pist off because it was so bad. The plot was rubbish, there happened so many thing and not 1 thing was later explained. They send the most retarded fella's on the most important mission of mankind. The woman cuts an alien out of her womb and an hour later she can run, rappel, climb, and not feel a thing? "open to interpretation" my ass. Expand
  16. May 9, 2013
    I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
    It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
    No story what so ever.
    Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
  17. May 5, 2013
    Now, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. The problem with this movie is EVERYTHING ELSE. The plot itself is ok, but the execution is complete garbage. The two dumbasses biologist and map designer got lost even though they're the ones who has the good idea of running before its too late and then got killed because the biologist guy call an alien penis "beautiful", and that's the point where the entire movie got horrible. Afterwards everyone died one by one just like a typical horror flick, and it wouldn't be that bad if the movie is actually supposed to be like that, but its not. The movie is about these ambitious attempt of discovering the origins of human life. These people that died are supposed to be experts on their fields. If these people in the movie are the best that humanity can offer, humanity is doomed. It's completely dumb and stupid. Maybe it's just me thinking about it, it's possible that other people get through the stupidity and enjoy the movie, but come on, 100 by Roger Ebert??? God bless your soul MR Ebert for making a great influence after all these years, but this is the most dishonest review you have ever done and you know it. Please review the best movie of all time with your partner up there. It's called Real Life. 10 years of screentime and it reviews life of every men and women in the world so there's plenty of hating and loving of human nature. Expand
  18. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  20. Mar 15, 2013
    A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment.
  21. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    I expected so much more from this movie. A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that? Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks. I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for. Expand
  23. Feb 11, 2013
    If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
  26. Dec 31, 2012
    This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots. It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters. It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching. But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
  27. Dec 29, 2012
    The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott) Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
  28. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
  29. Dec 26, 2012
    I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
  30. Dec 9, 2012
    An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar. It's a bit of a rehash of Alien in way. Come on Ridley, define a genre again for us, create a world like John Carpenter did recently, like you did with Bladerunner. Give us real horror, real suspense like you did in the original Alien. Mind you I thought even that was a bit slow, Aliens was better. Sorry Ridley. I love you for Bladerunner, and Black Hawk down wasn't bad (haven't seen any others) but I know you can do better. You have another Alien film in you. Don't give up. But give us blood curdling horror and suspense. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.