6.5

1. Oct 12, 2012
    Just seen the film.
    I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a big letdown. It doesn't even come close to meeting the huge amount of hype it gathered. There are some really good aspects to the movie like the seamless CGI and great music and camera work but the writing brings everything way down hard like an Anchor, and I expected more from the team.Big rant coming but some very valid points so bear with me.Also full spoilers.

The whole expedition is ruined from the get go because they admit it cost them a trillion dollars (Stupid summation of money) to go to that moon and it was all because 2 scientists had a hunch there was life there and because a superstitious guy with a crap load of money funded the trip. Seemed a bit drastic for a hunch don't ya think? Also they arrived at the planet and started explaining what the atmosphere was like and how the planet looked yet modern science shows that we don't go near other planets before knowing what they're made up of or look like. Wouldn't they have sent drones in to test out the place first and not just blindly travel there?

There were two other scientists with the team, a geologist and a biologist but those two guys felt like canon fodder of sorts. They were there to be killed and nothing more. One guy was a biologist yet he never showed any interest when they found other signs life had existed there. You'd think a person who studies lifeforms and organic matter would be incredibly interested in life on another planet, especially one that looked identical to humans almost but when a little snake thing popped up he called it beautiful.The geologist was on a planet that had lots of caverns and valleys silimar to earth's, yet he acted like a marine instead of a geologist and showed a great amount of hostility towards shaw for almost nothing.

The david character seemed cool at first but started to crack at the seams once he talked more. Especially one line that bugged me "Want? a concept i'm not familiar with. But doesn't everyonewanttheir parents dead?" totally contradicting the fact that everyone constantly says he has no emotions. And he suddenly understood everything about the aliens only through studying human history and languages for 2 years, seemed a bit stupid.

One last thing, why did the map they found point them to that moon of all places when that moon was just a base where the aliens were working on weapons of mass destruction and were on their way to Earth anyway to destroy all the humans. Why point them there and not to their homeworld?

The whole movie was full of cliches too like the captian going down with the ship etc. Shaw having 30 seconds of oxygen and then suddenly it lasts for 30 mins. I dunno, I'm being a bit picky I know but some of these are glaring holes in the whole narrative and it brought me out of the immersion and I was sitting there thinking "This is really stupid"
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Starting with the positives - the movie looks great and at points has a distinct feel to it, which is rare for movies these days.

However, overall the movie is simply too bloated. Scenes seem to be shoehorned in for no reason and at points it seems like the movie is supposed to be Indiana Jones in space, while 10 minutes later it's an action thriller, but then it's a deep philosophical movie about the origins of life. About the midpoint of the movie, they shoehorn in an action sequence that beyond being completely unnecessary actually disrupts the flow of the movie. It's also one of those movies where the two main characters are completely unlikable and you actually hope for their deaths. They'll talk about how they need to be safe and then not 30 seconds later they're putting everyone at risk for no other reason than to create suspense. There is simply too much "why would anyone do that?"

The male archeologist seems to be ripped straight from the cast of the Jersey Shore and his partner is unbearably dumb and those are the two people you're supposed to care about.

For example, there's a scene where the crew finds something and then they need to get back to the ship quickly because a storm is coming. The female archeologist says "We can't leave it behind!" when this was their first trip to the site. Just leave it behind and grab it tomorrow. That decision to take the object then leads to a five minute sequence (during which she continues to make stupid decisions) I didn't care about because it shouldn't have happened.

There's also a three minute scene where two characters are running away from a falling object (you know those scenes where if they run 10 feet left or right they'll be fine, but continue to run straight)... only to have one of the characters fall and gently roll out of the way, making you wonder why you needed to see them run for three minutes when they were a foot and a half from surviving.
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    Too much world not enough characters. The people on the ship were so faceless, I didn't care when they started dying. I had no idea who they were when they started saying names. it felt so flat and average.
  6. Jun 11, 2012
    Hard to imagine it's by the same director as Alien, it's so far away in tone, pace and a lot of the acting*.
    Like a remake for the short-attention-span generation, or a George Lucas prequel, there's enough happening for 5 movies, all rammed into 2 hours and with the odd 'big concept' thrown in there, with no time to make anything to seem believable.It seems borderline insane instead.
    Certainly entertaining though, can't say it's boring - I needed a few moment's silence after the end. Looks amazing in places too. However I don't think I'd want to see it again in a hurry and it.certainly won't be seen as a classic in 30 years.
    *There's some very dodgy supporting character acting, - the Scottish woman was particularly cringe-worthy.
  7. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  8. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was leftPrometheus is a movie I'm deeply split on. On one hand, you have some truly awful writing, cringe-worthy dialogue, and idiotic characters (with the exception Michael Fassbender's performance as the android "David"). However, it's wonderfully creative imagery as well as the exploration of space jockeys give the movie something many films lack: The ability to discuss what was left unanswered. The fact that it's been nearly a full-day since I've seen the movie and I'm still discussing it is a good sign.

In short, Prometheus, despite being marred by bad writing, dumb characters, and poor pacing, is worth a watch.
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    I've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater ifI've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater if the story was written better. The end. Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus is not a bad film, it's just not a good film. The production design by Arthur Max is creative and simply incredible, the 3D is great and Michael Fassbender is fantastic as a robot. With all that said, the screenplay is what doesn't work in Prometheus. It's sometimes confusing and sometimes predictable, the characters aren't really good developed, apart from David (MichaelPrometheus is not a bad film, it's just not a good film. The production design by Arthur Max is creative and simply incredible, the 3D is great and Michael Fassbender is fantastic as a robot. With all that said, the screenplay is what doesn't work in Prometheus. It's sometimes confusing and sometimes predictable, the characters aren't really good developed, apart from David (Michael Fassbender), and some scenes are well written, but bad on camera. At the end, Prometheus is just a poorly connection to Alien. Expand
  11. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PART 1 OF 2 (Due to space limitations)

I'm reproducing a review here written on darkhorizons.com from Weyland Smithers, who puts it all far better than I ever could:

"Prometheus is a hilarious comedy in the tradition of "Spaceballs" and "Men in Black" about a motley crew of forgetful, scaredy-cat scientists who go into space and try to find their alien creator. They find maps in caves that are their invitation, but this turns out to be a hilarious trick, like a mousetrap for retards.

The first scene is a giant, german-looking albino steroid guy who drinks some coffee out of an ashtray and gets sick and falls in the waterfall. Special effects reveal that he has little, tiny ladders in his blood called D&A. This guy looks like a member of the Blue Man Group, except White. There is a UFO flying overhead that is never seen or mentioned ever again in the movie. Just one of the many pranks that the writers and director have put in the movie to trick you with.

Next we meet these two very forgetful and silly scientists and they get to go into space on a beautiful ship. It is taken care of by a gay robot who does stuff like dye his hair and dress up like Robocop with a colander on his head to entertain himself. If C3PO had a human face, he would be this guy. All of the silly bungling scientists wake up from hyper-sleep in time to watch a hilarious hologram of a guy in an "old man" mask that looks like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi. I think he is wearing the old guy mask to get some laughs from the wacky scientists, but no one notices it. There is another funny guy with unconventional hair and tattoos who is really mean to everyone - that's so true! Guys that look like that are always dicks!

The spaceship starts to land on the planet, and as luck would have it, lands exactly near the alien castle on the very first try without even looking around too much - another hilarious example of serendipity! These guys are so lucky and fun to watch! The crazy scientists go into the alien castle and two of the guys get so scared that they decide to go back to the ship and get lost, even though they have flying superballs that make 3D maps of everything. Those two bungling doofuses! They are like "Dumb & Dumber" or "Abott & Costello". The rest of the gang finds more poisonous coffee and somehow the gay robot steals a whole pot of it without anyone noticing. He's such a Sneaky-Pete!

Everyone has to go back to the ship at the last minute because the Captian pranks them and waits until a violent storm is nearby before telling them about it! Haha! This guy is great! The two bungling idiot scientists get stuck in the castle and decide to goof-off all night. They try to pet a space cobra that lives in the poisonous coffee, but it kills them, which I think is what ALL cobras wish to do, space or no. Meanwhile, back on the ship, the gay robot does a HILARIOUS prank on the whiny scientist who wears a hipster scarf. He puts a little poisonous coffee in this jerk's drink and gives him pink eye and diarrhea (probably). Haha! That's like a whoopee cushion x100! Luckily the scientist has enough health left to hump his forgetful girlfriend one last time before he is all the way super-sick from the bad coffee. As one last prank to his fellow scientists, he suits up and goes back to the castle with them, even though he secretly knows he is very, very sick. Haha. What an inconvenience to the rest of the group - the ulimate prank!

The mean lady burns him later. The forgetful scientist gets pregnant with a white octopus and has to take it out using Michael Jackson's special oxygen bed. Now here is where the movie gets really hialrious, because she TOTALLY forgets that the alien squid is in there and just leaves to go do some errands! HAHAHA! It turns out that the funny guy in the old man mask is really hiding on the ship and he does some funny slapstick "old man walking" with a cane! I love it!

(CONTINUED!)
  12. Jun 11, 2012
    For the average Joe, it's a great sci-fi horror movie (score 7.5). But for me, a fan of the Alien universe, it was a disappointment, and a reminder that big names (Ridley Scott) do not always mean a good story. The movie has shallow characters, lots of story holes, sequences that defy your intelligence and lots of questions unanswered. Fassbender and Rapace are great (her, after thingsFor the average Joe, it's a great sci-fi horror movie (score 7.5). But for me, a fan of the Alien universe, it was a disappointment, and a reminder that big names (Ridley Scott) do not always mean a good story. The movie has shallow characters, lots of story holes, sequences that defy your intelligence and lots of questions unanswered. Fassbender and Rapace are great (her, after things start going wrong). The movie has good things, though: the C-section sequence, the visuals, the score. That's about it. Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2012
    As one of two most anticipated summer blockbusters of 2012 by most fervent cinema-goers, me included (the other is THE DARK KNIGHT RISE, doubtlessly), I watched it in the cinema, a plain 2D version, but in a nutshell, it is not satisfactory at all.

The film has wrought some doze-prompted moments, there are just too many routine procedures have to be dealt with (tediously) to tell a tale (with cliche-ridden dialogues and stereotyped roles) before any flare or more precisely, casualty to take action. Then quite ironically, the ill-fated first casualties are the geographer and the biologist (no career-based prejudice, I may watch too much of THE BIG BANG THEORY), whose raisons dâ
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    I m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it couldI m sure that all of us expected more of this movie. Is Ridley Scott lacking originality in Prometheus? Why resemblance to Kubrick's 2001? Why same sentences of HAL 9000, even the same tone of the voice? Why the landscape that is almost same as "Mission to Mars? Why the main character is "religious scientist"? Many things in this story does not make sense... I know it is SF, but it could have been written better in many ways... It could have been a great movie... Even Anderson's "Alien V.S. Predator" had a much more solid plot with less holes in the story. Special effects are great in 3D but that's it... Anyway, considering the fact that in past few years we did not have a pleasure to watch many decent SF movies, Prometheus is worth watching...and nothing more. Expand
  15. Jun 14, 2012
    This one tries to evoke a bit more of Alien rather than the action movie Aliens. Well acted, put together fairly well and logically, and beautiful and believable, though in the end Ridley Scott doesn't quite nail it. The first death(s) make the entire movie worth watching for us, though, by themselves, and in the end, we enjoyed the movie without necessarily loving the movie.
  16. Jun 13, 2012
    Awesome visuals and audio! Cool Alien planet, something we haven't seen before, cool aliens....plot was one of the worst plots ever though....so many problems with it and the characters, its actually kinda funny its so bad. Would only recommend this movie if you aren't going to see it to take it seriously, but to have some fun. I was pretty let down being a huge fan of Ridley Scott andAwesome visuals and audio! Cool Alien planet, something we haven't seen before, cool aliens....plot was one of the worst plots ever though....so many problems with it and the characters, its actually kinda funny its so bad. Would only recommend this movie if you aren't going to see it to take it seriously, but to have some fun. I was pretty let down being a huge fan of Ridley Scott and Alien, but I admit it was still entertaining through the first watch even though it hardly made any sense...Not sure if I'd watch it again, but I don't watch a lot of movies more than once. Expand
  17. Jun 11, 2012
    Prometheus combines all the great aspects of a sci-fi film (special effects, cinematography, futuristic technology) with an absolutely insulting to intelligence philosophy. When Scott tries to answer life's biggest questions he gives you the impression of a 15 year old kid with a religious upbringing who doesn't understand how anything in life works. The crew of 17 supposed "scientists"Prometheus combines all the great aspects of a sci-fi film (special effects, cinematography, futuristic technology) with an absolutely insulting to intelligence philosophy. When Scott tries to answer life's biggest questions he gives you the impression of a 15 year old kid with a religious upbringing who doesn't understand how anything in life works. The crew of 17 supposed "scientists" are scripted to say things most scientists, or even lay people will cringe at. But the film is filled with a few good thrill rides and Fassbender is fantastic as usual. If you want to see another brain dead blockbuster this ones for you. Expand
  18. Jun 19, 2012
    Yesterday I grabbed the popcorn, double sized drink, decided to leave the 3D glasses and sat down to watch Prometheus at my local cinema. I
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    A new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas andA new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas and Theron in it but beyond that the plot and story are poor and the aliens tie in is just rubbish. I left the cinema feeling really sad about this film then again for me it's been follwoing in a long line of bad aliens movies. Alien (epic) still one hell of a movie with bit that make me jump even though I've seem them 100 times
    Aliens watch the special ed (epic) this is still one of the greatest action movies of all time
    Alien 3 trying to be Alien but still watchable
    Alien 4 trying to be Aliens this is where the rot sets in and the series starts to go down hill
    AvP Appauling
    AvP Requim Appauling
    Prometheus Extremely graphically superb with some great performances but ultimately in the poorer end of the franchise.

Ultimately Prometheus is visually stunning but falls short with the story and Aliens tie in and spoils the lore somewhat. All of the Aliens computer games have also been extremely poor also which is odd as they simply have the best ip for both the movies and games
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    This was my most anticipated film of the summer. I have been looking forward to the exploration of truly interesting ideas from a director whose work I truly enjoy. I was disappointed. The movie is filled with stunning visuals and some truly compelling ideas, but never truly delivers on the promises it makes or the questions it asks. I don't need every question answered, but thereThis was my most anticipated film of the summer. I have been looking forward to the exploration of truly interesting ideas from a director whose work I truly enjoy. I was disappointed. The movie is filled with stunning visuals and some truly compelling ideas, but never truly delivers on the promises it makes or the questions it asks. I don't need every question answered, but there should be sufficient evidence for a discussion about what is going on. This is truly a case where the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Good performances, decent set pieces and moody, interesting visuals are all diluted by an incomplete and unsure plot. At times it is difficult to understand exactly who we are supposed to root for or why. There are many loose ends that are never tied up and the movie seems to outpace its storytelling in several sections. There is still enough here for sci-fi fans to enjoy. The engineers are interesting and their origin is a great cinematic question, but I was expecting more in terms of story arc and character progression. The plot and the excellent component parts needed to be in better sync. All of that being said, I would get in line to see the sequel. If you haven't seen this one, save it for DVD. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Way too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained inWay too much bad writing and obvious plot holes. Other user reviews have already mentioned in detail the issues with the script, so I won't get into that...but I agree that there are just too many dumb or unexplainable actions by the characters in this movie. If feels like they forced this script into production, yet no one in the process questioned the obvious logic flaws contained in it. An earlier review by the user Taantric does a thorough job of pointing out all of the flaws. Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    A mixed bag. It's no Alien or Aliens and the hybrid of dreamy sci-fi (the best thing about Prometheus) and horror (inconsistent) is at odds with each other. The movie is filled with throwaway characters and dialogue that have none of the spark and wit of Aliens. Prometheus is worth seeing for the expansive effects, but don't expect to leave with the andrenaline rush from the original andA mixed bag. It's no Alien or Aliens and the hybrid of dreamy sci-fi (the best thing about Prometheus) and horror (inconsistent) is at odds with each other. The movie is filled with throwaway characters and dialogue that have none of the spark and wit of Aliens. Prometheus is worth seeing for the expansive effects, but don't expect to leave with the andrenaline rush from the original and the first sequel. Expand
  24. Jun 12, 2012
    Ridley Scott's highly-anticipated sorta-prequel to "Alien" doesn't live up to expectations. A crew of intergalactic explorers lands on a mysterious planet, where they discover mysterious life forms (nothing original here). Rather than any real surprises or shocks, the plot unfolds in a pretty predictable mannerâ
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    After all the hype, does Prometheus live up to it? Because I walked out of the theater feeling as if I was unable to determine if I liked it or not, Iâ
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    Went and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships andWent and saw this movie last night. My response (and those who I saw it with)? Seriously, is that the best that could be done? I am not sure if this is a movie wrecked by the trailers or simply poor effort but I am not sure when I was more let down by a movie promising more than it could deliver last! I didn't care when people died, who died, could guess the nature of relationships and there were no real surprises i.e. no mystery or suspense. I was only pressed against the back of my chair twice, and thought it was all going to begin, but then it just simply faded to nothingness. There was never a "NO WAY!" moment. Just really left me with more questions and certainly in no way equals Alien, which I expected. I imagined before going in that this is a movie that I would have to purchased as soon as it was available. Now, I might watch it on free-to-air some night with commercials. In fact, in the end found myself laughing at stuff I saw happening. What would I give it out of 10? I am giving it a big "Meh". "We were wrong, So wrong!" Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2012
    Prometheus is visually striking; however, after it spends it's first hour building us up and provoking thoughts, it simply states what it's getting up to, then goes ahead and gets up to it. There is essentially, no payoff, and a film of this genre demands a grande finale.
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    A movie of could-have-beens. Could have been written better. Could have been acted better. Prometheus is too much about corny dialogue and bungled mysticism. The characters are flat and stereotyped. I think there were 2 or 3 occasions where my wife and I made eye contact and groaned.
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    I can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accentI can understand people hating and people liking it. It's extremely well made and acted. The shot framing and camera movement was stunning. The 3d was fine as with all 3d I find it hard to focus on detail when the camera moves too fast but that could be limited to me. Michael Fassbender turns in his usual top class performance. The others are all very good to decent. Noomi Rapaces accent is jarring at times but only because I knew she was aiming for and severely missing an English accent. A throwaway line could have explained it. Which brings me to the script. It was fine, perfunctory if a little spotty dialogue wise. I can't blame the films problems on the script exactly because in a lot of ways the scriptwriter is only putting on paper what the filmmaker/producers instructed. However this doesn't excuse Damon Lindelof entirely as this film has his fingerprints all over it and seeing him trotted out with Ridley Scott for all the press junkets makes me suspect Sir Ridley was pressurised into using Lindelof by the studio and wanted him there to take half the blame. Not that Ridley escapes fault because in my eyes the main problem with this film is the story. It mirrors Damon Lindelof's previous project Lost in that it poses so many interesting questions then completely fails to resolve them. It's excellent first two acts lead to a staggeringly awful third act that lurches from one disaster to the next just like the crew. This film cries out for a satisfying conclusion which never arrives and pays lip service to the Alien franchise with unnecessary and out of place developments in the last ten minutes. The script obviously went through numerous drafts with story elements that featured heavily in earlier drafts being excised but their remnants still left in the film creating a series of incongruous plot points and details that both baffle and annoy. In summary 6/10 a schizophrenic mess that with a tighter script and story could have been the triumph we all expected. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.