6.5

1. Jun 8, 2012
    I went to the midnite showing, expecting to finally see a good alien movie like the original Alien. I was so wrong. It will always be a mystery how we got here or who made this place we live on. We all have are beliefs. This movie is rated in my book as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. That's 10.00 I will never get back and feel like a fool for going to see it. Over acting, underI went to the midnite showing, expecting to finally see a good alien movie like the original Alien. I was so wrong. It will always be a mystery how we got here or who made this place we live on. We all have are beliefs. This movie is rated in my book as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. That's 10.00 I will never get back and feel like a fool for going to see it. Over acting, under acting, it was a mess. There was about 65 people in the theater and I did not hear a peep from any of them and when the movie was over, I heard nothing but negative comments of disappointment. I had no compassion for any of the actors. Please take my word for it, it is not worth the gas to go to the theater. The best part of the movie was it ended and I could go home. No horror in this movie, just si-fi done wrong, action was weak and limited at best. I'm so pi**ed off I want my money back and will call the theater tomorrow and ask if I can have it back or a free movie pass. I feel sorry for the people who are going to waste there money Friday nite to see this B rated movie. I dont understand how anyone could give this movie more then a 1 rating. at least my slushy and nachos were good. I could go on but I wasted more then enough time warning people not to waste there money. But go for it. You WILL be sorry and say I should have listened to that bigfoot guy. I am a movie freak, and this movie suc**d big time. Maybe it got some good reviews cause they took something that altered there minds and dont even remember the movie, just the buzz they had. Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2013
    Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deletedWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  4. Jun 27, 2013
    A beautifully filmed movie that makes you really piece things together. If you love movies that make you re-watch to figure it out, this is one of the best of 2012.. I can't wait until the next one!
  5. Nov 29, 2014
    Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . IWow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
    The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
    2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
    3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
    4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
    5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
    6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
    And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
    Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
  8. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dumbing down of science fiction films is prevalent throughout the entire genre. With Prometheus I was hoping to find salvation. What I did find however was shockingly poor.

A character list that I couldn't care less about launch themselves headfirst into a half baked search for the creators of humanity. Supposedly intelligent crew members of the Prometheus take every opportunity to stick fingers in alien goop and open doors to suspected infected shipmates without a second thought.

Questions that I am not really sure I had are now bugging me as the film does more to promote itself a sequel than pay dues to the Alien franchise that it basis itself on.

Praise is due for the geek squad who, like the 'photos of the fairies' believers at the turn of the century, go to great lengths to cover the tracks of Mr Scott and attempt to second guess the conveluted script and explain away some of the more gaping holes.

The only saving grace I can think of may well lie with the obvious sequel. If this second film delivers something truly original and sews together the Prometheus/Alien/Space Jockey stories so incredibly well as to produce something of an epiphany, then, and only then will these words be eaten. I think that I may well go hungry.
  9. Dec 31, 2012
    This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
    It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters.
    It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching. But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load
    This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
    It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc.

But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
  10. Dec 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So let me get this straight... In the future, two archaeologists discover a 35.000 years old cave painting, in Scotland. Painted by humans who seemed to worship giant aliens, members of superior space-faring race. Similar finds were made all over the world, of artifacts left behind by independent civilizations that shared no contact. Apparently those ancient aliens posed as Gods, were friendly, and yet, with such teachers and sponsors, all that those humans were able to leave behind were cave paintings made with charcoal and some stone tools. THIS ALONE makes archaeologists forget all about Lucy and other famous australopithecines and hominids. Screw Darwin. We were CREATED... umm...engineered. Because one archaeologist "chose to believe so." Jesus of Nazareth was an alien hybrid, she concludes, I guess. Insulting pseudo-religious anti-science diarrhea at it's best. But wait, it gets worse... On those ancient artifacts are included identical star maps that look like an invitation, she chose to believe. Invitation from whom, you might ask, invitation to go where? Well, invitation from our gods, umm... aliens I mean. To go where? WELL, TO GO VISIT AN ANCIENT ALIEN BIOWEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY, OF COURSE !!! So naturally, humans go and visit. Why would a super advanced race of Engineers invite their Children to visit a bioweapons storage facility, and not a Temple of Knowledge???

A trillionaire named Weyland pays for a space exploratory mission, THE Mission, Mission of all missions. So one would think that such a Mission would be populated by crown jewels of modern science, Cream of the Cream, the Super Intelligentsia, the very best that future Harvard, Oxford and Stanford will be able to offer the richest ,most powerful man on the planet Earth.

Right ? Wrong. Weyland handpicked a bunch of retards whose intellect operates on a level of a ten-year-old who learned science from comic books, and bad comic books at that !!! An archaeologist suddenly becomes an expert in genetics and biochemistry, while moron biologist gets lost with a sociopathic geologist in a 3D-mapped cave, while being able to communicate with captain. Alien genome is identical to human genome. Scientists remove their helmets twenty minutes after entering a compound on a foreign planet which they KNOW is populated with alien biology and potential pathogens. And when they encounter a foreign organism (after discovering a bunch of mutilated alien corpses !!!), a sinister looking cobra-like worm, the very first alien humans ever encountered, what do they do ? They start laughing and giggling like drunk high school kids, you know, those retarded football types, and they start petting that god-damned thing. 2000-years-old mummified corpses are twitching like they died five minutes ago and suddenly explode, spraying gallons of bodily fluids all over the lab. That's after those silly "scientists" poke the corpse with an electric needle !!! Yes, that's ancient mummies I'm talking about. A woman who just went through fully opened abdominal surgery is stitched like a cardboard and starts running around. Literally ! They find strange organic liquid stored in vases, on an industrial scale, in ancient alien temple - nobody bothers to properly analyze it. Have you ever seen a NASA news conference or mission room after they landed a new probe on Mars? Those scientists are hugging each other with tears in their eyes. Their voices are shaking. AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAND ON MARS PERSONALLY, THEY JUST SUCCESSFULLY LANDED A ROVER!!! Landing on an alien world is every geologist's wet dream, every geologist masturbates to the thought of that! And what does our Prometheus' geologist have to say when he wakes up from cryo-sleep? "Don't bother me with your friendship, I'm here to make money." It's like he just broke out of jail. And so on and on. The idiocy of these so called scientists is beyond belief and it just never stops. It just gets worse and worse with every additional scene. It is actually quite astonishing just how stupid this film is. Is Lindelof mentally retarded? Definitely. It's either that or he just did it on purpose, out of sheer perversion. Is Scott senile? Or just criminally under-educated egomaniacal quasi-intellectual masturbator ? You tell me... I'm perfectly able to enjoy "childish" sci-fi, like Transformers. That's because Michael Bay didn't set out to cheat me. He said Transformer movie is about a sexy couple, cool giant robots, ultra-spectacular action scenes and... that's it. That's what Michael Bay promised us and that's EXACTLY what he delivered. I respect Bay for his unpretentious honesty and I wasn't at all disappointed by his films, in fact - I enjoyed them very much ! But this Prometheus was sold to me as a quintessential A-Movie, a masterpiece of serious, intelligent Sci-Fi. It was supposed to be an intellectual Sci-Fi film. I feel raped.
  11. Dec 26, 2012
    I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is aI'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
  12. Oct 24, 2012
    This movie wanted to be Alien so bad, but it fell flat on its face. I thought this movie was going to be good, judging by the first hour or so. Unfortunately the last hour went way off the deep end.
  13. Jun 26, 2012
    Expectation: introduced as a prequel to Alien, and directed by Ridley Scott, so incredibly high

Delivery: For a film so thought provoking, heavy on symbolism, questioning human origin, and metaphysical beliefs, Prometheus was a huge let down. It borrows heavily from an established belief that the Original Man came to Earth from another planet and began civilization on this planet, but it never really does anything with it. These studies are interrupted by series of setups and let downs. It's littered bunch of teasers and references to the original Alien, but never delivers. It may have been a bit more enjoyable as a stand alone sci fi flick instead of playing up it's Alien relations. Being introduced as having relations to Alien, allowed my expectations to fly well above and beyond what this movie was actually willing and able to do. Prometheus feels like its stuck somewhere between an Alien prequel, and a prequel to a prequel of an Alien prequel.
  14. Jun 19, 2012
    After discovering that this is was not intended to be a true prequel to Alien, only using the same universe for the story, it does improve my score for reviewing this movie. Mainly because, if it was meant to be a true prequel to Alien, it would have been awful, with it explaining almost nothing. Both story and script are very poor. Special Effects are amazing, however, with somewhatAfter discovering that this is was not intended to be a true prequel to Alien, only using the same universe for the story, it does improve my score for reviewing this movie. Mainly because, if it was meant to be a true prequel to Alien, it would have been awful, with it explaining almost nothing. Both story and script are very poor. Special Effects are amazing, however, with somewhat entertaining scenes. Expand
  15. Aug 14, 2012
    Talk about a letdown. While Prometheus has some great visuals, they aren't enough to make up for the uninteresting story, boring and sometimes stupid characters, and lack of tension of any kind. There's one cringe inducing scene that I found pretty effective, but that was pretty much the highlight of this mediocre movie.
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    It is a real pity that a film as visually astonishing as Prometheus, with good cast and a visionary director on a story based on the very question mankind has always tried to answer (where do we come from?) to fall short due to lack of suspense, very poor script and the ridiculous looking 'humanity makers'.
  17. Jul 8, 2012
    This was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. The characters all seem to suffer from severe brain damage, and the plot is needlessly complicated and nonsensical with many, many holes. Like Avatar, it's nothing but a sequence of pretty pictures (to be honest, they are very pretty pictures) that make little sense when put together into a story. Watch it if you want two hours of niceThis was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. The characters all seem to suffer from severe brain damage, and the plot is needlessly complicated and nonsensical with many, many holes. Like Avatar, it's nothing but a sequence of pretty pictures (to be honest, they are very pretty pictures) that make little sense when put together into a story. Watch it if you want two hours of nice environments, but don't expect anything intellectual out of it. Expand
  18. Jun 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It had some pretty effects and sweeping shots, I'll give it that much. I also rather liked Fassbender's robot character, but everyone else felt pretty hollow and consistently acted like idiots. Did not like the aliens or the plot at all. The aliens are just another boring, monolithic evil trying to destroy humans. And on top of this tired old trope they've piled up mystery upon mystery that never get resolved. Disjointed, non-sensical, and with zero payoff at the end. Expand
  19. Sep 17, 2012
    An average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movieAn average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movie swamp monster. I guess I enjoyed it when Pretending it had nothing to do with the alien mythos at all but that's not really praise. Expand
  20. Jun 23, 2012
    Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer,Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, would appear on screen and kill him with a stove pipe hat. And, Charlezzzzz you need to step it up girl. Take the money and run only lasts so long. Bad, bad, bad..... Expand
  21. Jun 30, 2012
    Hyped to re-write scifi..................really missed the mark, very very disappointed.
    Super human beings couldnt think of a better way to kill off humanity other than a million big jars of Marmite with worms in, that if you ingest any then sleep with your partner you impregnat her with an octopus, an octopus that grows to the size of a house, then it latches onto you impregnating you with another alien. Awesome well done super duper human beings, maybe next time a big bomb would do the trick eh?!!?!?!?
  22. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  23. Jul 20, 2012
    Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing inProduction values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing in contribution to the film in its entirety.

People have lauded this film as if it is some avant-garde, incredible work of art for in the least its name being a reference to the Greek myth where Man is made, given the ability to make fire, metaphysical overtones, and the obvious reference to the story of the birth of Christ does little to actually help the film. If anything, these allusions are made to make the film seem deeper than it is. Again, the premise is the best part, and while I was enjoying it so much as I am a huge fan of science fiction, there came a time in the film when I was struggling to come up with warrants to justify why the film was good. I am capable to logic and reasoning- people complain at how analytical I am at times - yet, hopefully not to sound cyclical, it was when the film started to drag on that I, in retrospect, should have walked out. I have never walked out on a film before (except for the second installment of Lord of the Rings, due to the fact I couldn't stand the directing). At least I got to watch that movie for free. I regret having spent $9 to see this movie. It had some good scenes though and I know not to watch this as if it is an Alien film, but treat it more like a separate sci fi film (given the ending, t is impossible to - I will say no more).

To describe this film, only word word is required. Terrible.
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show noAs someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  25. Nov 16, 2012
    Even a movie about the far away future, a movie that by definition involves nothing but speculation, must retain some semblance of believability. This plot has so many illogical holes in it that you spend much of your time thinking about how ludicrous the scenes are. This is not a momentary lapse, this problem runs through the entire film. While the movie is watchable, is is so poorlyEven a movie about the far away future, a movie that by definition involves nothing but speculation, must retain some semblance of believability. This plot has so many illogical holes in it that you spend much of your time thinking about how ludicrous the scenes are. This is not a momentary lapse, this problem runs through the entire film. While the movie is watchable, is is so poorly written that you cannot escape into the fantasy. Expand
  26. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am also an Aliens saga fan, but Prometheus was a huge disapointment. Great graphics, but a long stretched out story with a sudden unexplained ending. Looks like the movie makes wanted to make a quick buck. And who bribed the critics to give it a high score!!! Expand
  27. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus would look fantastic as a coffee table book since it is a respectable visual evolution of the Alien franchise. Beyond that it is a failure. It is a two hour demo reel for distractingly bad science. It might answer one or two questions left from the original mythology, but poses infinitely more new questions and tells the story in such an unsatisfying stumble through poorlyPrometheus would look fantastic as a coffee table book since it is a respectable visual evolution of the Alien franchise. Beyond that it is a failure. It is a two hour demo reel for distractingly bad science. It might answer one or two questions left from the original mythology, but poses infinitely more new questions and tells the story in such an unsatisfying stumble through poorly written characters and their inexplicable actions that you don't care about the answers that dribble forth and are encouraged to be apathetic about any future revelations as they are sure to be unsatisfying. Expand
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    Pure crap. Expected to see a film promoted as a crew searching for the meaning of life and the origin of the universe and paid $36 (!!!) for an ALIEN PREQUEL.
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was such a disappointment. THEY REALLY DUMBED IT DOWN. Of course visually it was nice...but that only go so far. Cheesy dialogue and plodding! I guess this was to pay for a new piece of real estate for Ridley. Watched it at Waves! The screen and sound effect was good. Expand
  30. Jun 29, 2012
    What a pile of horse manure? It has a 7.6 rating on IMDB which was the main reason I went to see it (that and the fact that Ridley Scott directed). It is intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien but it's really just a very bad re-make of Alien with an invisible, non-nonsensical story line. The characters are paper-thin idiots, the dialog is asinine, and the actors have nothing to workWhat a pile of horse manure? It has a 7.6 rating on IMDB which was the main reason I went to see it (that and the fact that Ridley Scott directed). It is intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien but it's really just a very bad re-make of Alien with an invisible, non-nonsensical story line. The characters are paper-thin idiots, the dialog is asinine, and the actors have nothing to work with. The whole thing is utterly forgettable. The visuals are okay for a while but gradually overwhelm everything. There is a hint in the end that there may be sequels and with 7.6 on IMDB there probably will be. Scott needs to hire some writers who know the difference between suspense and shtick and can write dialog that is not aimed directly at the audience. 1/10 for production quality. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.