6.5

1. Jan 19, 2013
    I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting.I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting. It's far from great, it's far from what older Sci-Fi movies have done, not to mention it's way below the bar which the Alien series has set long ago. The plot has some problems and, the characters are rather undeveloped and some of them feel out of place (they're not relevant, given the nature of their task) and the story has a very slow pace. On the other hand, the visuals are amazing and the cinematography - spectacular, all the while the 3D implementation is somewhat pointless. I gave it a 7 because I respect Ridley's effort and although I've been disappointed with it overall, I admit it has strong aspects. Let's face it, the movie industry is on a downward slope for some years now, and it doesn't seem to get any better when even the most respected directors disappoint. Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2012
    I've never been this mind-trolled ever. I started thinking of my origin, the origin of the human race and I just wanted it to be a true story. Fassbender delivers (in my opinion) an award winning performance as David, a cyborg/android being.
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for theThis movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    It's a good movie that caters to the sci-fi horror genre, I was somewhat disappointed in some of the kill, because they were so similar to other movies that they turned out predictable. Just because of that I gave it a seven. The story was cool as well as the special effects. I wish they would have been a little more innovating in the horror scenes...
  5. Nov 9, 2012
    absolutely amazing and a must see film. effects are amazing and the set design is gorgeous! just remember that AVP (alien vs predator) is NONE canon.
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it leaves more puzzles unanswered than it does solved, "Prometheus" remains in my opinion a visually mystifying film with an equally spellbinding story.
  7. Dec 26, 2012
    "Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most"Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this film is that it stands on its own as a science fiction movie just as well as a prequel to "Alien" - it weaves a complex and intriguing plot tracing the evolution and ultimate birth of the iconic extraterrestrial, while also confronting questions about creation that, in the end, are still left not fully answered. And although it doesn't carry the haunting atmosphere of "Alien", scenes such as Shaw's grisly surgery lend it its own grand, dark identity. The special effects are just gorgeous, the acting is good, and there is nothing major that stands out worth criticism. Overall, a very solid sci-fi flick. Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and ageThe best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
  10. Dec 17, 2012
    Ridley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes orRidley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes or some unbelievable turn of events it more than makes up for it in the acting (Michael Fassbender as David could be the performance of his career to date) and momentum. It took a while to really get going but when it did, some gruesome graphics were thrusted into the face of the viewer making it impossible to look away. 'Alien' fans will enjoy this movie. 'Aliens' fans might not. Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2013
    Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infectedFirstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  15. Sep 2, 2014
    "Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
  16. Jun 18, 2012
    Scott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch ofScott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch of meaningless subplots and, by extension, massive plot holes when in truth, Prometheus is little more than a survival-horror flick. Prometheus' sequels, Alien and Aliens, played out like typical horror films, which is why they are loved by so many. Prometheus, however, tried to advance the series and make it deeper, but ended up only blurring the series' identity.

Nonetheless, the action does get intense and the special effects are amazing. The entire set is incredibly detailed and realistic as well. So I encourage you to see it just for the thrill of watching aliens kill people. But don't expect anything more than that.
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you'reA movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
  19. Apr 7, 2013
    This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth,This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
  20. Jun 2, 2013
    Prometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But toPrometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But to me, Prometheus has Scott's biggest strengths and weaknesses as a film maker: visually stupendous at the expense of narrative. It's a Ridley Scott film for crying out loud, in a genre he practically reinvented 30 years ago. When the dust is clear, I think people will realise what a great film this is. Not in the same caliber as ALIEN, but one of his most energetic and mind boggling film he made since GLADIATOR. But a thrill ride that will make you think; it doesn't spoon fed you with answers. Things are left vague for audiences to make their own mind. Scott has also created another 'harrowing and gut wrenching' horror set piece that is up there as the best in the last 10 years (beside the chest bursting scene in ALIEN). So folks....buckle up and just enjoy the ride. Oh yeah, it also uses 3-D in a great way... Expand
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    We are "scientists".

We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
  22. Jun 7, 2013
    Definitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into theDefinitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into the narrative of the film, and while I can see how it would be necessary, I could have done without it. It felt generic and cliche'. It felt, honestly, a little too family friendly at that point. The film is driving home a hard hitting point, and I felt that the "faith" talk was a way of patting the audience on the head and saying "there, there, no need to fret!" I don't know, maybe that's just me. If you are looking for a hardcore prequel to Alien, then you will also be disappointed. The story is very much its own. It's a good watch, and even a good buy, but I felt it had an identity crisis at times and failed to really drive home its message with confidence. The acting is pretty superb. Fassbender and Theron knock it out of the park. I really love Charlize Theron. She is one of the few "cross over" actors who I feel really have earned their stripes, and she is hands down one of the most beautiful women alive today. Expand
  23. Aug 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply put. Director Ridley Scott does it again with Prometheus. just to say one thing, if you think this is a movie about aliens, It's NOT. This is a new chapter in the world of Alien, granted Ridley Scott does give us some suprises from Alien, this is not a derivitive of Alien. People have been complaining that this movie has alot of unanswered questions. The reason is thatAmazing, simply put. Director Ridley Scott does it again with Prometheus. just to say one thing, if you think this is a movie about aliens, It's NOT. This is a new chapter in the world of Alien, granted Ridley Scott does give us some suprises from Alien, this is not a derivitive of Alien. People have been complaining that this movie has alot of unanswered questions. The reason is that Ridley Scott wants you to use your imagination! This movie was beautiful, the acting was off the charts, David played by Michael Fassbender was incredible, the visuals were amazing, and the story was beautiful. It was a great movie. It was everything I had hoped for and more. Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2013
    special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, thespecial effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
  25. Jun 25, 2012
    Since I have never followed the "Alien" franchise or sci-fi-horror movies in general, I can't really give an explicitly knowledgeable review of this film, so I'll have to review it from an outsider's viewpoint. Seeing trailers for the film, three things caught my eye: 1) the movie would be intense, 2) the movie would be visually expansive, and 3) the movie would be epic. Only the first twoSince I have never followed the "Alien" franchise or sci-fi-horror movies in general, I can't really give an explicitly knowledgeable review of this film, so I'll have to review it from an outsider's viewpoint. Seeing trailers for the film, three things caught my eye: 1) the movie would be intense, 2) the movie would be visually expansive, and 3) the movie would be epic. Only the first two proved to be true for me at least. The epic nature of the film was detracted by the general slowness of the film and how long it took for the story to unfurl. Even thought the film is just shy over 2 hours, you'll feel like you've been in the theater way longer. What took away from the epic nature of the film the most was dialogue. I have never in my life seen an action film that verges on over-sophisticated as the characters try to wrap philosophical ideas about creation in every which way around your head. It's almost as if the film was aiming too high, so that in the end, the dialogue was trying to outshine itself. The result is a film that becomes very confusing and nebulous at times. Maybe it's just because I don't have the background history to the series to know what was really going on. Speaking of that, the film has so many plot-holes that I became very frustrated during the film. I know they are setting the film up for sequels, but I don't believe I have ever seen a film with so many disparate plots, questions, and concerns brought up where by the end of the film, practically none of them are resolved. You will have tons of questions and theories and none of them will be answered. You watch stuff happen, and you can only ask yourself "why?" That's the problem with the film. The good news? Wonderful cinematography and visual effects. Decent acting by all the actors, with acting highlights going to Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. And then there's the stuff I can't really critique, or else I would be very tempted to give the movie a lower score because of it. Yes, it's the sci-fi-horror violence. There are some pretty gnarly, cringe-worthy, disturbing, and grotesque scenes in the film (that are quite frankly not my cup of tea). If you can't handle that, I wouldn't recommend seeing the film. Overall the film was good ranging on okay. Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  27. Sep 3, 2014
    Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    Good movie. Not going to be a classic, but I don't regret paying to see it in theaters. There just wasn't anything that was surprising about the plot. After the first half hour, I would guesstimate that 80% of the rest of the movie was extremely predictable.
  29. May 21, 2013
    Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
  30. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.