6.5

1. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  2. JYT
    Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott tried to push the limits from previous Sci-Fi/Horror done before and in all directions at the same time: more picturesques, going further with the creation of manking, the horror of the self-surgery, smotther special effects, etc... Charlize Theron plays very well also. Good to watch.
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    Very Very poor attempt to remake "Alien". Director, writer and actors SHOULD have watched Alien before they made this film ... then maybe the plagiarism would have been flattering instead of pathetic.
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with this film. I only go to the movies today for big spectacle 3D showings. Iâ
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. My first impression of Prometheus was simply, wow. While it didn't quite reach Alien or Aliens in terms of brilliance, it was damn close.

Lets talk plot: I like the idea of the mysterious Engineers that leave their marks all over prehistoric Earth, and an intriguing opening sequence captured the visuals which left my jaw hanging open. Find a huge screen to watch this film, that way you enjoy it exponentially more. Introducing the character of David first was wise, Michael Fassbender is sheerly brilliant as the sinister but polite android David. Noomi Rapace is watch-able but a bit flat as the lead role. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall make for an entertaining but big-mouthed double act. And the way they cop it was very gross-out as there was a lot of in-your-face (literally) creature action. Although suspense in these moments would have been welcome. The exploration of the alien pyramid was enjoyable on a whole because of stunning visuals that welcome 3D with open arms. The holograms of the Engineers were very well presented in leading the characters to the story. When the ickiness began, it was pleasingly grotesque, but not shocking, in the way it could and should have been for a 15 film. Although that factor is picked up very well in a later scene with Shaw on the medi-scanner in a "pregnancy" scene that was horrific and scarring in the sheer amount of blood that was involved. But I like that bit a lot, because it gave Prometheus a backbone where it lacked in true horror. I don't want to drone on, so I'll say the ending was satisfactory in that it showed us the "Space Jockey" ship and pilots chair from Alien, but it was a bit disappointing that the film ends with a fight between tentacled monster and Engineer, like something out of King Kong vs Godzilla. The ending with Shaw and David going off in to space to find answers is obviously setting up a sequel, without promising one. Sensible, and Scott ends with a scene which was so utterly brilliant in its sense of giving the audience satisfaction it almost gets a 10 for the entire film. The Xenomorph appears in all its glory! Which was a fan-pleasing appearance especially since Scott stated it probably wouldn't appear. It's a perfect ending scene, and made me long for a sequel more than I could say. Overall I loved Prometheus, it really lived up to its status as a prequel to one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made, but sadly doesn't quite level with it. For the sequel, if it is made, an upping in suspense and true gross-out horror would be the driving force to get a 10/10. BUT DON'T TONE DOWN THE VISUALS, SCOTT! THEY WERE BRILLIANT!
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into movie only having the trailer once and seen/ read no reviews to not spoil it. I had hopes this would be a movie that would rival the Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers Assemble quality and as best summer film.
    I was wrong. The plot is well average in everyway, the characters apart from one exception are generic and the action feels limited.

The plot - very generic and
    follows a storyline you've seen before
    Characters but David ( Fassbender) - All generic , 2D dimensional with little backstory or development, so you dont really care what happens to them.
    But I will address the positives, the CGI is absolutely amazing and I give credit to Ridley Scott for this, its trully beautiful. Then there's David, one of the best characters I've ever seen, you constantly question his motives and actions and his performance is truly stand out.

To conclude I would say you should see the movie but only at a reasonable price , and if you wait for it appear on TV or DVD , your not missing much
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    I've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater if the story was written better. The end. Expand
  8. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into the cinema without any expectations or the immature Alien fanaticism of my teens, I went in there to watch a very good science fiction film, and that is exactly what I got. Tense scenes, style, effects, a storyline that doesn't spoon feed you (like most Americans need unfortunately) but actually has you thinking long after the film ends. The film essentially sticks two fingers up and the Alien franchise, and I loved that. Rather than pander to childish fans and try to tie in with the ever weakening series of films, it started fresh; a bit of the old but mostly new. And this has given the whole concept of the Alien a new and fresh direction to grow in. My only gripe with the film is that we don't have an opportunity to connect with the characters. Which is a shame. I was very happy with this film and I recommend that people with intelligence and appreciation of a beautiful film and a fresh start go and see it. For the hardcore Alien fans and the monkeys in society, go and watch paint dry. Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    the visal experience of promethus is stunning, it really keeps your mind and eyes at the screens,. script has some flaws, but u know u do not discuss a movie s flaws if it is a bad movie. i personally enjoy it very much. if u are looking for 2 hrs of entertainment, i highly recommend this movie
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the other hand though, there is a whole lot of plotholes, unanswered questions and frustratingly stupid characters. Some of those questions might be just a set-off point for the sequel, but a movie's got to have a finished story to be fully enjoyable. However, I must say that most of the plotholes didn't spoil my impression of the movie, I started thinking of them a bit after I got out of the cinema. All in all, it is a cool sci-fi thriller with immersive 3D, but don't expect it to become a cult classic like Alien. Expand
  11. Jun 9, 2012
    I must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideas were not developed. They were laid out near the beginning almost never to be referred to again. Prometheus' main flaw lies in it's lack of explanation and loose ends. Many things went unexplained and in the grand scheme of things the viewer is left asking why and how. It is also important to take note of the performances in the film. Fassbender is incredible pretty much carnying the film on his back building the intrigue and suspense which is the thing it solely relies on. Noomi Repace is terrible in one of the leading roles and is a total miscast. All in all Prometheus is a mixed bag that won't forget to entertain. Expand
  12. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  13. Jun 9, 2012
    You'll like the film if you go in not caring or thinking about it's ties to the Alien franchise. The negative reviews are people comparing it to Alien or picking apart things that make sense if they think about it for one minute. I would go through all the reviews and minimal reasons for hating it and why the reasons are invalid but I'm not going to waste my time.
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
  15. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very happy to finally see a "grown-up" Sci Fi Horror film where not everything is fully explained and in this respect loved Prometheus...to be honest, the script seemed a little light in context and discovery, and .I have to admit to mild frustration in not knowing more about the backstory of the Engineers, and the reason for their malevolence...

Noomi Rapace is outstanding as Dr. Shaw and Michael Fassbinder is fascinating to watch as the android David.. Idris Elba is excellent as the understated Captain of Prometheus... Let's face it though, the real stars of the film are the CGI experts, designers and cinemotographer Dariusz Wolski makes the film a gorgeous, state-of-the-art masterwork that is not to be missed on a big screen. The Engineers look alot like a Greek base-relief of gods and I'm sure that was deliberate...the film's aliens exceed the original Aliens and their flawless. seamless creation by the CGI designers is truly unbelieveable....not to mention their menace...There is great tension and some unexpected surprises...but it seemed the backstories of the characters were not as important as the task at hand and leaves a nagging feeling of wanting a little more...

( I for one would have loved to see the first half of the second act with the humans encountering the Engineers--our creators--and they thilled to see we have found them...they sharing knowledge and information with us (like curing cancer) that would be magical and wonderous...but some members of Prometheus are especially curious about something they keep from us...steal it, and the chase is on to get away from them...but that's just me.)

Going to see it again...not quite a masterpiece, but pretty darn close.
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    This movie is great. I'll admit there are a few moments where the point is unclear, but it shines through these. The genius of this movies plot can be found, but it takes some thinking in and out of the theater, and still not everything will be revealed. All in all, the story connects together well, the acting is good, and the story perfectly ties in with the rest of the Alien series while still feeling new and having its own style. Expand
  18. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  19. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment! Shallow characters, **** story, bad make-up, cheap thrills. 2 hours of boring foreplay for a 15 second climax at the end in the form of a proto-Alien emerging from its host. One thing's for sure: this movie won't ever be the cultural reference point that the original were. Utterly disappointing. Expand
  20. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this movie was excellent! It is a great science fiction movie that blends Ancient Alien theories and current biotechnology concerns. Some parts of the plot are left open to interpretation, and viewers who wish to have closure in their films might not enjoy that particular feature. I had high expectations for many months before seeing this film. I followed some fan sites that leaked parts of the movie, and was disappointed with what I read there. However, the delivery and screen adaptation of those ideas were excellent. Expand
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.
  22. Jun 8, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien. Guillermo del Toro tries for years to get a deal together to film At the Mountains of Madness, and here comes Scott and Co., grafting the story onto an Alien prequel, and beats him to the punch. The only significant difference is that the Old Ones are humanoid. I don't really object to recycling old stories for new applications that way, I just wish filmmakers would quit pretending that none of us out here read. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2012
    I truly loved this movie. It's a GREAT space epic. Here's why I like it. It called into question and brought great purpose to the great questions of all time. Why are we here, who made us, what's our purpose. I love those ideas mixed with the space epic setting. It was however, not as amazing as I'd hoped because I had set my standards so high. BUT in all reality, its one of the best films of the summer. GREAT subtext, amazing layers, all mixed with some awesome anthropology / ancient Egyptian religious undertones. Calls the hero to faith, and delivers. If you have not seen it, just please, go see it. Its better than ANYTHING else out right now (6-8-12) Expand
  24. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the naysayers and the whiners who had such lofty expectations they would never be fulfilled. As a huge fan of Blade Runner and Alien, I have to say Scott delivered exactly as I expected him to. He raises just enough questions to get your mind running wild and let's your imagination take over. I was absolutely rabid to know more once it was over! The movie was technically beautiful, with 3D not done this good since Avatar. I mean you don't even notice it's 3D and that's the mark of a director who knows how to use it. The sets were incredible, the pace near perfect. Fassbender was acting out of his mind, he deserves a Best Supporting Actor nod, it was that good. And through it all, despite my confidence I could predict every move, at least two scenes caught me off guard, and at least one of them I know I said, Oh My God, out loud. Shock value as only Ridley Scott can deliver, and I will be thinking about this one long after I've seen it three times. So brush aside the haters, and go see some of the most intelligent, gorgeous sci fi we've seen in a long time. Welcome back Ridley! What took you so long? Expand
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    Spectacular......we finally have a return to the glory of Sci-Fi! It poses many questions....it answers some but leaves many unanswered. It opens the window to the unknown and challenges it's audience to think. That's what makes it great. The performances are all strong, the effects are top-rate, the creatures were unique and horrifying, and the duration was just right. Ridley Scott's Prometheus is another ground breaker and will be remembered for a long time. Expand
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    Let me start this up by saying I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. The machinery of the Hollywood distribution business has fallen into the repetitive practice of hipping up product that sinks itself within five minutes of opening, unable to support the almost god-like audience expectations. And Prometheus is no foreigner to the fabricated Hollywood momentum. To say there has been a lot of anticipation built up around Ridley Scott's latest cinematic dream is an understatement.
    It seems Hollywood finally got it right. We no longer have to drone ourselves to the theater and laugh off what the ads were claiming would be fantastic and is actually born to mediocrity. We can expect a movie to be as good as it's expected, and in fact, even better. Much much better.
    I attended the midnight screening late Thursday night and the energy in that place was amazing. This is what story telling is about. The human need for the discovery of an incredible story is well alive. It bonds us all. Gives us a reason to dream and fight for what we want. The illusion is the flame.
    The screenplay felt flawless. It would have been so easy to make this another fare in Alien combat. Us running around helpless with useless weapons. Them chasing us effortlessly. The pretty girl screaming on the side. I think other filmmakers did that once or twice.
    Not John Spaihts and Damon Lindelof. These two delved deep into humanity's unanswerable questions. Who are our Gods? Why? Where? And what is to say of the father-sibling complex? Are our parents like Gods to us? Gods of flesh that have guided us to where we are? Or are they simple humans we must be rid of in order to proclaim ourselves as masters of our own insignificant universe? This and much more is all tucked away behind the perfectly stylized curtains of Ridley Scott's science fiction world.
    The movie feels right down fascinating. Reminiscent of that first Alien film. Those early shots way before the egg was revealed. Even the opening shots inside a dormant Nostromo. Remember those? How haunting? How intriguing? Ridley's hand is still very much present here. At its best shape. I simply couldn't get my eyes off that screen. Fascinating. Even the 3D element played well into it. I thought this might turn into another "let's poke the audience in the eye" kind of trip, but instead it felt like an immersive experience. I almost forgot I was in a movie theatre at times.
    Dramatically. The acting was phenomenal. Nothing that required exaggerated exuberance. Acting is mostly an art that goes unnoticed because of its sincerity. So real that we don't question it. A simple matter of fact. This film required that kind of delivery. The kind of dramatic honesty that allows the screenplay to unfold itself effortlessly.
    I will close this by pointing out that I wasn't particularly scared this time around. I recall being horrified the first time the Alien burst out of Kane's chest back in the day. Although, Prometheus doesn't seem to be a product of the horror genre. Suspenseful and though provoking are more along the line of the goals this motion picture attempts to deliver, and does masterfully.
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    This was my most anticipated film of the summer. I have been looking forward to the exploration of truly interesting ideas from a director whose work I truly enjoy. I was disappointed. The movie is filled with stunning visuals and some truly compelling ideas, but never truly delivers on the promises it makes or the questions it asks. I don't need every question answered, but there should be sufficient evidence for a discussion about what is going on. This is truly a case where the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Good performances, decent set pieces and moody, interesting visuals are all diluted by an incomplete and unsure plot. At times it is difficult to understand exactly who we are supposed to root for or why. There are many loose ends that are never tied up and the movie seems to outpace its storytelling in several sections. There is still enough here for sci-fi fans to enjoy. The engineers are interesting and their origin is a great cinematic question, but I was expecting more in terms of story arc and character progression. The plot and the excellent component parts needed to be in better sync. All of that being said, I would get in line to see the sequel. If you haven't seen this one, save it for DVD. Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    Watched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that its well worth seeing in the Cinema in 3D as its gorgeous and the sense of scale is mesmerizing. Michael Fassbender is brilliant and steals the show even with Noomi Rapace doing an "OK" Ripley impression. Ridley Scott you did well by me. Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    I went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after so many years of mystery (besides that's what makes Serenity so great). Whilst Noomi Rapace (lead female role) isn't as strong a character as Sigourney Weaver, this film still has beautiful touches of Ridley Scott that made Alien and Blade Runner so great. This won't go down as a classic in the same way those films did (primarily because of the cult status and high expectations), but it is a great prequel. I think those who are knocking it should go back and watch Alien and Blade Runner. Those similarly slow paced and atmospheric; something we really aren't used to in Sci-Fi films nowadays (but just another element of what made those films great). Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.