6.5

1. Jun 10, 2012
    Two days before this review was written, I watched Alien. Two days later, I saw it again, except this time it was in 3D, and not as good.
    Perhaps I should elaborate? The films (plural) are about the crew of a spaceship with a quasi-meaningful name and their discovery of an alien structure. They investigate at first and then attempt to flee after things slowly but surely hit the fan. All the while, their efforts are impeded by members of the crew with ulterior motives. I canâ
  2. Jun 19, 2012
    For the Sci Fi geek it gets a pass but don't try to copy Aliens which for an 80's Sci Fi was a classic - this clearly wasn't. What it is, is lacking in all areas except special effects which isn't about how good the movie is, it's about how big your budget is. The fundamentals of good Sci Fi is to recreate a fictional world and for that they did a good job. However, the plot has too manyFor the Sci Fi geek it gets a pass but don't try to copy Aliens which for an 80's Sci Fi was a classic - this clearly wasn't. What it is, is lacking in all areas except special effects which isn't about how good the movie is, it's about how big your budget is. The fundamentals of good Sci Fi is to recreate a fictional world and for that they did a good job. However, the plot has too many wholes in it, none of which are filled. At no point are you pulling for any of the characters and as a result don't care who lives or dies. Finally meeting our makers, disappointing. The big question, why are we here? disappointing. This trend continues throughout the whole movie and finishes with a grand finally crash... literally! Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2012
    As expected from a Ridley Scott epic, Prometheus is both visually dazzling and atmospherically haunting. However, a director undertakes massive risk upon attempting to combine epic science fiction with questions regarding the human condition. In the film, the crew on board the Prometheus attempt to contact the 'engineers', responsible for the creation of all human life on Earth, and inAs expected from a Ridley Scott epic, Prometheus is both visually dazzling and atmospherically haunting. However, a director undertakes massive risk upon attempting to combine epic science fiction with questions regarding the human condition. In the film, the crew on board the Prometheus attempt to contact the 'engineers', responsible for the creation of all human life on Earth, and in doing so, try to answer the ultimate metaphysical question - what is our place in the universe? In my opinion, it is in pursuing this point, that the film falls so disappointingly short. Unfortunately, the film lacks the compassion and the emotion captured in such genre classics as Bladerunner and Moon to successfully mount a response to this question. As a result, you are left high and dry when the film finally draws to a close, never really gaining any profound insight into the mind of our creators. The only real piece of genius comes in the shape of a brilliant acting display by Michael Fassbender, who plays the dry and clinical Android, David. As a massive sci-fi fan, I was fairly disappointed by Prometheus. Despite his practically impeccable credentials, Scott has not quite delivered a sci-fi tale to rival his previous work, it certainly does not rank among the genre classics. Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    in the critics vs. prometheus conflict, those who did not like, or actually the vapid script are being continuously scolded for expecting the film to have a developed theme, character development, and particularly for responding with extreme hostility to the illogic of the script and the absolute absence of explanations for what are supposed to be tantalizing artifacts and incidents.in the critics vs. prometheus conflict, those who did not like, or actually the vapid script are being continuously scolded for expecting the film to have a developed theme, character development, and particularly for responding with extreme hostility to the illogic of the script and the absolute absence of explanations for what are supposed to be tantalizing artifacts and incidents. difficulty is the fact that the film plays not as a prequel to alien but as a prequel to its own sequel. it suggests everything and pointedly explains nothing. which is why it plays as a two hour length trailer, instead of a coherently plotted story. visually extraordinary, but storyless. that's fine as a television episode, but completely presumptuous in a film. it is thematically indecisive at best and entirely overreaches itself. visually extraordinary as it is, the script is a scattered embarassment to imagination and logic. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    Ever since 2002, when Ridley Scott and James Cameron approached FOX about making an ALIEN 5, i was just wishing for it to happen. So when Ridley confirmed a few years ago that he was going back to Sci-Fi and to the ALIEN franchise i was totally jazzed. Then when the teasers and trailers started popping up it mesmerised me and i just wanted to see this movie ASAP, it was by far the oneEver since 2002, when Ridley Scott and James Cameron approached FOX about making an ALIEN 5, i was just wishing for it to happen. So when Ridley confirmed a few years ago that he was going back to Sci-Fi and to the ALIEN franchise i was totally jazzed. Then when the teasers and trailers started popping up it mesmerised me and i just wanted to see this movie ASAP, it was by far the one film that i most wanted to see this year.

So to my actual thoughts on the film, it starts off great and it
  6. Aug 4, 2012
    The first hour is strong, there is a great sense of foreboding and mounting threat. However, the characters are poorly realised and fail to convince the viewer that they are worth investing any emotional engagement. After the relatively strong first hour, these flaws become more evident as the cast are bumped off, but that failure to care about them denies Prometheus the powerful ending itThe first hour is strong, there is a great sense of foreboding and mounting threat. However, the characters are poorly realised and fail to convince the viewer that they are worth investing any emotional engagement. After the relatively strong first hour, these flaws become more evident as the cast are bumped off, but that failure to care about them denies Prometheus the powerful ending it tries so hard to create. Disappointing, this could, and should, have been so much better. Expand
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    I'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end of the movie i didn't like. could be better. However the sufficiency is deserved.
  8. Sep 30, 2012
    Decent movie but too much was left open for a sequel.movie though did answer one question. Would movie goers watch another alien sequel if it is well scripted? Yes! Overall this just falls short
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about.
  10. Feb 7, 2013
    The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and ageThe best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
  11. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  12. Jun 18, 2012
    Scott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch ofScott tried to make this film much more than it should have been. Prometheus tries to be "2001: A Space Odyssey" badly. It really wants to be more than just a movie, but rather an experience that the viewers partake in. However, the writing for the film simply does not have enough substance to accomplish this. It tries to achieve "depth" in its story and characters by throwing a bunch of meaningless subplots and, by extension, massive plot holes when in truth, Prometheus is little more than a survival-horror flick. Prometheus' sequels, Alien and Aliens, played out like typical horror films, which is why they are loved by so many. Prometheus, however, tried to advance the series and make it deeper, but ended up only blurring the series' identity.

Nonetheless, the action does get intense and the special effects are amazing. The entire set is incredibly detailed and realistic as well. So I encourage you to see it just for the thrill of watching aliens kill people. But don't expect anything more than that.
  13. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you'reA movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth,This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
  16. Sep 20, 2013
    We are "scientists".

We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
  17. Aug 24, 2013
    special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, thespecial effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
  18. Jun 25, 2012
    Since I have never followed the "Alien" franchise or sci-fi-horror movies in general, I can't really give an explicitly knowledgeable review of this film, so I'll have to review it from an outsider's viewpoint. Seeing trailers for the film, three things caught my eye: 1) the movie would be intense, 2) the movie would be visually expansive, and 3) the movie would be epic. Only the first twoSince I have never followed the "Alien" franchise or sci-fi-horror movies in general, I can't really give an explicitly knowledgeable review of this film, so I'll have to review it from an outsider's viewpoint. Seeing trailers for the film, three things caught my eye: 1) the movie would be intense, 2) the movie would be visually expansive, and 3) the movie would be epic. Only the first two proved to be true for me at least. The epic nature of the film was detracted by the general slowness of the film and how long it took for the story to unfurl. Even thought the film is just shy over 2 hours, you'll feel like you've been in the theater way longer. What took away from the epic nature of the film the most was dialogue. I have never in my life seen an action film that verges on over-sophisticated as the characters try to wrap philosophical ideas about creation in every which way around your head. It's almost as if the film was aiming too high, so that in the end, the dialogue was trying to outshine itself. The result is a film that becomes very confusing and nebulous at times. Maybe it's just because I don't have the background history to the series to know what was really going on. Speaking of that, the film has so many plot-holes that I became very frustrated during the film. I know they are setting the film up for sequels, but I don't believe I have ever seen a film with so many disparate plots, questions, and concerns brought up where by the end of the film, practically none of them are resolved. You will have tons of questions and theories and none of them will be answered. You watch stuff happen, and you can only ask yourself "why?" That's the problem with the film. The good news? Wonderful cinematography and visual effects. Decent acting by all the actors, with acting highlights going to Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. And then there's the stuff I can't really critique, or else I would be very tempted to give the movie a lower score because of it. Yes, it's the sci-fi-horror violence. There are some pretty gnarly, cringe-worthy, disturbing, and grotesque scenes in the film (that are quite frankly not my cup of tea). If you can't handle that, I wouldn't recommend seeing the film. Overall the film was good ranging on okay. Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    So much potential and great special effects that go to waste with a sub par story that leaves more plot holes than questions it actually answers. Its severely weighted down being a prequel to Alien. Would be far better as a stand alone.
  20. Jun 23, 2012
    Good movie. Not going to be a classic, but I don't regret paying to see it in theaters. There just wasn't anything that was surprising about the plot. After the first half hour, I would guesstimate that 80% of the rest of the movie was extremely predictable.
  21. May 21, 2013
    Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
  22. Jul 1, 2012
    You know how in bad horror movies most of the characters make really stupid decisions and you're just like "Wow, why the **** would you do that?" That's this movie.
  23. Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Charleze Theron was totally wasted here. The movie aspires to be great, but just ends up over the top. The focus on the cross was absurd and unnecessary, but typical of a lot of sci-fi these days. Too much religious fantasy, not enough sci-fi substance. Great f/x, sound, and music though. Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2012
    This film was a huge letdown. Story wise is an absolute mess. Full of uninspired, clueless, dumb characters following a concatenation of events that can hardly be called a "plot".
    You might be hoping for some cool action or thrill but you would be disappointed anyway. The only good thing about this movie is the spaceship CGI. Very cool design. That said you don't want to spend money on this train wreck
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    Prometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3DPrometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3D technology but it was more subtle. Expand
  26. Oct 3, 2012
    Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it .
  27. Apr 6, 2013
    I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol
  28. Jan 1, 2013
    Prometheus was supposed to be the best movie of 2012 and after watching the first hour it definitely was on it's way of becoming one of the better ones, but the great start totally lost all of it's strength in the mid-section and the end. The director lost my focus bit by bit and towards the end i was not interested at all. The idea of the story is pretty well but it just didn't work out.Prometheus was supposed to be the best movie of 2012 and after watching the first hour it definitely was on it's way of becoming one of the better ones, but the great start totally lost all of it's strength in the mid-section and the end. The director lost my focus bit by bit and towards the end i was not interested at all. The idea of the story is pretty well but it just didn't work out. I didn't really "bond" with one of the characters in general which i usually do. Even though the graphics were great and a 5 should be given because the first part was really well and the graphics were great. Expand
  29. Jul 4, 2013
    Very disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overlyVery disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overly disgusting. Performances and visuals don't really matter however if the material isn't good. Unfortunately the material isn't good. It feels like it's just going through the motions the whole time, and it does, as someone else's review has said, "ruin the mystery of Alien". It does this without any compelling reason either. Couple that with some pretty stupid and bland characters, as well as a surprisingly off putting atmosphere, and you have a film which is a huge letdown. Forgot about plot improbabilities but I'm not going to waste time. There are a few moments of grandeur but they can't save the movie. It could have been rapturous but ends up being one of the slightest big budget films I have ever seen. The original Alien was elegant in its pacing and flawlessly directed. It's atmosphere was masterfully gothic, creepy and awe inspiring at the same time. It was also intelligent and trimmed of anything that didn't work. Prometheus is flat in its atmosphere, lacking in tension, full of stupid scenes, and ultimately forgettable. If a sequel is made, and based on impressive box office earnings it probably will be, Scott better rediscover his touch, because it would sadden me to see him make another mediocre sci-fi film when he has, or had, such talent. Expand
  30. Jun 20, 2013
    En ciertos tiempos la pelicula se torna aburrida, pero lo que la alcanza a salvar es el suspenso del trama de la pelicula que logra atrapar demasiado al televidente

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.