6.6

1. Aug 10, 2013
    Prometheus has an interesting premise but ends up leaving way too many unanswered questions, which can be expected from a movie exploring how humans were created.

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is dumb, irritating and annoying. She has very few good ideas (like, hey theres an alien inside me, I should get it out), sounds stupid and always wears a weird expression in her face (more bad acting than bad character in this case) and is just so unappealing that I wished her to die somewhere in the beginning of the movie.
    The ending seems like a sequel bait. Lame.
    Soundtrack is not fitting to the movie.
    CGI and special effects are great though.
    There are a few good scares and some violent scenes too. None of them are emotional though.
    If I would be asked to recommend this movie, I wouldnt.
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    Starting right off into the film Prometheus was definitely looking at being one hell of a movie, but right up until they land that ship on the alien world they also land the interest straight into a trash can. The only good thing I really took out of this movie were it's visual effects, which I have to say were pretty damn good, however that's all I feel this film offered me. The story wasStarting right off into the film Prometheus was definitely looking at being one hell of a movie, but right up until they land that ship on the alien world they also land the interest straight into a trash can. The only good thing I really took out of this movie were it's visual effects, which I have to say were pretty damn good, however that's all I feel this film offered me. The story was a little boring, not interesting at all, some of the acting in my personal opinion was a little dull, just the feel to the movie was basically a bit poop.

I'd say it's definitely something people should watch, but only as a rental. Then decide if you want to buy it or not.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    epic cinematography beautiful but epically predictable no real scares so many unresolved plot holes .
    you will find rooting for the aliens by the end
  4. Jun 21, 2015
    I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films.I admire the special effects and Michael Fassbender, the film as a whole is muddled and confusing. It leaves so many questions it would come off as an unsolved mystery fantasy for those not familiar with the 'Alien' series. There are inconsistencies with the plot, and it's hard to connect with any characters. With respect to Ridley Scott, he was better off with 'Blade Runner' like films. This is too alien even for 'Alien' fans. Expand
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    unexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of theunexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of the story with pros and cons. pros is that story can only improve and become more delineated, understandable and astonishing with the next episodes. cons is that you exit from the cinema with the unpleasant feeling of having seen a movie interrupted without know when (and if) there will be the next part and with a lot too much of question with no answer. Expand
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  8. Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - aHonestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myselfThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  10. May 17, 2015
    This movie is so disappointing.It's just a messy rip-off of Alien except with more budget.The acting was not that good and all the good scenes were shown in the trailer.For the rest, the movie is long and uninteresting.
  11. May 3, 2016
    Mystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowly falls into place. Instead they show us parts as if it's an omniscient narrative but then leave out the information required to make sense of it all, toMystery and omission to cover for not actually being that interesting. But it's not even a limited narrative from only humanity's perspective, which would be workable as horror of the unknown where the connection to the Aliens series slowly falls into place. Instead they show us parts as if it's an omniscient narrative but then leave out the information required to make sense of it all, to lead us on. The movie is like a bad girlfriend or boyfriend, holding back so you think there's more to them, but you eventually find out there isn't.

But I actually disliked it less than other people. It's a shame it couldn't just 'be itself' and tell its story. I think the people behind it wanted more 'greatness' than they could muster, so they tried to fake it.
  12. Sep 6, 2014
    Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
  13. Jun 15, 2016
    This film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portrayingThis film is a teenage shock-horror flick just like the original Alien. What distinguishes this film is that various characters are supposed to be scientists and obviously no one involved in the production of the film has any idea how real scientists speak or behave. Scott & Company did a fair job of portraying cargo ship crewmen and colonial marines but they fall flat in portraying scientists. Also, the sinister folk in the film, rather than reveal their evil gradually, stand right up and twirl their metaphorical mustaches so there's no doubt that there are all manner of eviltry and devilish doings just waiting to be revealed.

The number of things that people are kept in the dark about goes beyond absurd. The exploration mission is stated to be a trillion dollar project so one might be tempted to assume that plans were laid and briefings held at least a year or two before anyone actually set foot inside a space ship. In fact, most of the crew have no idea what's going on till they land on an alien world and a ship's meeting is held to explain why they've been in "cryosleep" for two years. The rich guy who set everything in motion is secretly onboard the ship, and so is his daughter, and why any of that is a secret I have no idea, unless it's just to persuade the teenagers among us that the film is full of wheels within wheels.

Yes, there are alien creatures. Two of the so-called "scientists" meet their demise in a first encounter with the creatures. Rather than regard these unknown creatures with caution the "scientists" react as if the things are very cute, just darling, and would obviously make excellent pets.

Ultimately, the film is dumb. With expensive FX. Ho-hum.
  14. Oct 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wasn't annoying and sexual like stoker was ....was too short....don't want to wait for the sequel.....i'm curious as to how badly that blue thing follows and kills them as revenge....i thought everyone who died needed to die .....I'm glad about the whole movie....great foreign landscape...i even it bought it for 5 bucks... however the bad scene is ( every king has his reign).... I thought the face of the blue alien in the beginning was well done and cool...i hate the way they don't explain why it seemed to poison itself there though....Its too bad the way she kicked it in the head as she was trying to get away and that no one got revenge on her for that....thats kinda what she did to us all when she came out with those god forsaken dragon tattoos..making butt worship into a great story again and again.... ms vickers sucked at minimizing risk other than burning that terrible seeming Holloway...all the holloway scenes in the deleted scenes are so bad its crazy ....if only we got to learn a little bit more about how badass that blue guy is........at least there was no overly attractive woman like every other piece of anything from the Illuminati Expand
  15. Jun 5, 2015
    One the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as far as bringing us face to face with the Architects and the beginning point for this whole reality that envelopes both the “Prometheus” story and theOne the positive side the film was well acted and completely special effects spectacular. The story was exciting and thorough. The production value for this film was epic and the action was truly intense. The story did not disappoint as far as bringing us face to face with the Architects and the beginning point for this whole reality that envelopes both the “Prometheus” story and the “Alien” saga. There was no forced scenes where the cast seemed to compete with one another as a lot of films with such star power tend to have. However for me the story seemed to force way more substance than it could contain with relativity to the universe and plot set forth in this film. It felt as if a lot of material was being crammed into the movie which didn’t allow for the actual story line and sequences to relax and satisfy the over all plot. The attention to subtle suspense somehow got overpowered by the sheer amount of story that had to be told in the film. “Prometheus” is a great story that I was glad to see on screen and that final money shot that gives us our first glimpse of those terrifying alien creatures we have grown to love and fear was truly monumental. However I felt overwhelmed by fast paced race to the finish line the movie pulled me into and wished the whole thing would have had a more casual steady built to the thrills. For what it was “Prometheus” did not completely disappoint but almost felt it was a bigger story than the film could handle. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2015
    Hugely disappointing for me. And at times the movie was boring. Not in the same class as Gravity of Interstellar I am afraid. Charlize Theron was pleasing on the eye though!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.