6.5

1. May 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most people would admit that there hasn't really been a truly good movie involving the idea surrounding the early ''Alien'' films since ''Aliens''. Since then, we've suffered the sub-standard final two films of the ''quadrilogy'' and the action packed but fairly pointless (I thought) Alien vs Predator films.
    Therefore I wasn't expecting big things from Prometheus. I didn't really get them either, just an enjoyable and well thought out prelude to the original Ridley Scott film of 1979.
    This is Ridley Scott's first ''Alien'' related film since the brilliant, clammy and atmospheric horror of the original, and his touch is evident in many of the scenes. It's certainly the most tense and eerie film since the the original. In terms of storyline, things are extremely well planned out. The general idea behind the Alien race and its origins is equally superb and ambiguous and horrifying.
    The film falls down a little in it's execution. Things get a little confusing at times (it wasn't until I read other reviews that I fully understood the complete idea behind the plot) and it takes nearly an hour to really get going. What is pleasing is that an enormous amount of visual attention to detail has been paid to the film - so much so that to fans of the original film (like myself), this does feel like a proper prequel.

In terms of the actors and their characters, it's all pretty much par for the course in terms of Alien films. Strong female lead, slightly dodgy droid, corrupt bloke, nice man who female lead falls for but dies. You get the picture. There's nothing one truly memorable about the characters, which is a pity considering that the acting is generally of a high standard.

Overall, a welcome, well thought out and generally good addition to the series that will certainly please fans. Welcome back Ridley Scott....
  2. Apr 23, 2015
    In 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens wasIn 1979, science fiction was thriving, but the movie community, becoming gorged on lightweight space opera fare like Star Wars, was unprepared for what Ridley Scott delivered with Alien, which was as much horror as it was sci-fi. Since the iconic xenomorph made its debut, it has been overused to the point where there's little left to excite a serious filmmaker. James Cameron's Aliens was the only sequel to build effectively upon the foundation laid by Scott. The lazy and disappointing Alien 3 and the lackluster Alien Resurrection degraded the brand - a brand that was utterly destroyed by the Alien vs. Predator abominations. So, when Scott expressed a desire to return to the Alien universe, it came as no surprise that he wanted to avoid doing another Alien movie, although the temptation not to fully sever the umbilical cord was too great. Prometheus is a prequel that works as a stand-alone but offers added benefits to those familiar with the Alien series. Is it a worthy addition to a franchise that has been unable to boast a genuinely satisfying entry in more than 25 years? That depends on what you're expecting.

Prometheus is not without problems but, for the most part, they are problems that result from overreaching rather than playing it safe. In a strange way, I was reminded of Tree of Life. Scott takes chances and some of his choices don't work, but the movie is never uninteresting. Prometheus is more cerebral than I expected, and that's a good thing. It weighs more heavily on familiar science fiction conceits than action, adventure, thriller, or horror elements. In fact, some of the "monster moments" seem almost to have been shoehorned to elevate the energy level and keep things from becoming too talky.

Prometheus has a little too much going on. It's a story of big ideas and, as is often the case with movies designed to be about something, the human characters are marginalized. Even the best developed of them is a little two-dimensional and many of the secondary characters are defined only by recognizable traits. It's difficult to argue that any of the individuals in Prometheus has what could be considered a satisfying character arc. One of the principals (think: tall, blond) in particular is cheated. The film also deals with the genesis of the alien, although that in some ways is a tangential element. Although Prometheus has a lot of hooks that lead to Alien, a direct sequel to this movie would likely go in another direction. The conclusion of Prometheus gets things to where they need to be at the start of the 1979 movie. If there's no Prometheus 2, it won't leave a gap in the Alien chronology.

If there's an obvious element missing from Prometheus, it's a strong identification with the humans, who are underdeveloped and underwritten. Most of what's interesting about the story has little to do with the protagonists. Prometheus is about solving mysteries - not only piecing together the specific series of events that lead to the "birth" of a lethal species, but also answering questions about the motivations of the "Engineers" who came to (what would eventually become known as) LV-426 and what their long range plans are. The conclusion is open-ended but doesn't feel incomplete.

Watching Prometheus in 3-D, I was strongly reminded of how different a native 3-D production is from a converted one. Scott is one of only a handful of filmmakers to film a major motion picture in 3-D and the visual quality is striking. Prometheus' 3-D creates a sense of depth and detail that even the best 3-D conversion cannot come close to replicating. What's more, because Scott compensates for the dimness of the glasses, the movie never descends into a murky mess. It's a crisp, clear experience entirely unlike about 90% of what's out there being touted as 3-D. Prometheus, like Avatar and Hugo, shows that, when used as a tool and not a money-grubbing gimmick, there is a place for 3-D in today's movies. Unfortunately, it takes directors like Cameron, Scorsese, and now Scott to find the "sweet spot." Although I have no doubt that Prometheus will work in 2-D, the 3-D is worth the extra money; it enhances, rather than degrades, the experience.

his is intentionally a very different movie from Alien; Scott consciously did not repeat himself, except perhaps in small doses. One could argue that Prometheus has more in common with Scott's other iconic science fiction endeavor, Blade Runner, than with Alien. Whatever its pedigree, however, one thing is clear: Prometheus is the antithesis of the "big, dumb summer movie." Its visuals and special effects can stand toe-to-toe with any of the season's spectacles, but are audiences ready for something with an intelligent, thought-provoking screenplay where the action is secondary? Prometheus is flawed, but stupidity cannot be numbered among its missteps.
  3. Mar 29, 2015
    Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans, but this one is really good! Prometheus is what going to the movies is about: 2 hours of action, thrills, scares, and jaw dropping special effects!
  4. Jan 29, 2015
    Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme.
  5. Dec 28, 2014
    I strongly dislike this movie. It is illogical, plot-hole-filled, pointlessly gruesome, and the plot was pretty slow too. The characters do not make sense. I rate it 1 because it looks good.
  6. Dec 25, 2014
    The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
  7. Dec 19, 2014
    Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals. Never once did I feel bored in this movie. 8/10 (great)
  8. Nov 29, 2014
    Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . IWow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be giving this a 1 for a few good special effects, such as the probes they released in the cave, and the spacecraft, which looked cool. The rest: awful. Most of the scenes were stolen from other movies, such as the android playing basketball, hey, Sigourney already did that in Alien Resurrection. The story did not make any sense, none of the characters were the least likable, and how did these astronauts ever get the job ? They were all completely incompetent. In addition, the main female character is ugly, and she moans and screams the entire time, similar to the horrible performance of Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity', which really translates into the audience just wanting her to die. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2014
    I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
  11. Nov 9, 2014
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  12. Oct 17, 2014
    Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I havePrometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  13. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
  14. Sep 6, 2014
    Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
  15. Sep 3, 2014
    Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
  16. Sep 2, 2014
    "Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
  17. Jul 28, 2014
    Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction isHeading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
  18. Jul 22, 2014
    Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
  19. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2014
    Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideasDue to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
  21. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  22. Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - aHonestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  24. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deletedWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  25. Mar 31, 2014
    Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up.
  26. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  27. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  28. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  29. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myselfThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  30. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.