6.5

1. Nov 29, 2014
    Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . IWow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
  2. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be giving this a 1 for a few good special effects, such as the probes they released in the cave, and the spacecraft, which looked cool. The rest: awful. Most of the scenes were stolen from other movies, such as the android playing basketball, hey, Sigourney already did that in Alien Resurrection. The story did not make any sense, none of the characters were the least likable, and how did these astronauts ever get the job ? They were all completely incompetent. In addition, the main female character is ugly, and she moans and screams the entire time, similar to the horrible performance of Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity', which really translates into the audience just wanting her to die. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2014
    I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  5. Oct 17, 2014
    Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I havePrometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  6. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
  7. Sep 6, 2014
    Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
  8. Sep 3, 2014
    Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    "Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and"Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction isHeading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
  11. Jul 22, 2014
    Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
  12. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideasDue to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
  14. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  15. Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - aHonestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deletedWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  18. Mar 31, 2014
    Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  20. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  21. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  22. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myselfThis movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  23. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    Science Fiction or Faith?

Science Fiction or Faith?

At the end of the movie I was a bit confused about this movie leaving unanswered questions. But after thinking about it for some time and few discussions some were answered and I am hoping rest will be answered in the potential sequel as told by director Scott. I haven't seen 'Alien' the film which 'Prometheus' is supposed to be prequel to yet, so my review is treating Prometheus independently. I am ardent science-fiction fan and the plot of based on the questions like "Did someone design humans?", "Where do we go after death?", "Why there is life?", etc. which ponder in my mind everyday generated great excitement and expectations from this film but at the end was slightly disappointed by answers. Leaving where the story ends up aside Prometheus has outstanding visuals with slick cinematography, good performance by Michael Fassbender as a robot(who plays a key role) and generates enough suspense/thrills to entertain and thus receives a positive response from me. Just don't have too high expectations then you will like this film.
  25. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
    Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
    Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
    What are David's motives?
    Why was the old guy hiding?
    The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
    And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
  26. Dec 14, 2013
  27. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
  29. Dec 5, 2013
    This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.