6.5

1. Jun 9, 2012
    After reading many of the reviews here prior to seeing the movie, I expected it either to be great or terrible, but it turned out to be somewhere in between, but definitely above average and worth seeing. Sure the movie failed in some ways. Some of the dialog is cheesy, some of the plot doesn't make any sense for a movie geared towards 'realism'. I think some of the reviewers here, wereAfter reading many of the reviews here prior to seeing the movie, I expected it either to be great or terrible, but it turned out to be somewhere in between, but definitely above average and worth seeing. Sure the movie failed in some ways. Some of the dialog is cheesy, some of the plot doesn't make any sense for a movie geared towards 'realism'. I think some of the reviewers here, were turned off by apparent plot holes, but for me the plot holes in this movie make you think and wonder which is a good thing. True the movie wasn't as scary, mysterious, and suspenseful as Alien, but this film stands on its own. It is a different kind of move really. It stuck with me for different reasons such as the big questions of where we came from and, in the movie, why thing were the way they were (not to give away the story). There are a few action scenes and creature scenes that were pretty well done, not to mention an incredibly disturbing scene which perhaps was meant to rival the shock we all recall from Alien when the alien first bursts out of a chest. There is some truth to some of the reviews that the characters were a little superficial, the story a bit lacking in depth, and some surprising predictability, but it is far from being the worse sci fi movie ever made, and far from being Space Odyssey. Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2012
    One must remember why most people attend the movies: to escape. As a passive voyeur, the movie viewer anticipates being taken away from the mundane and dreariness of everyday life to an artificial world of endless possibilities. And IMO, Prometheus accomplishes this.

Sure, there are holes and unanswered questions scattered about, but think about the last time you were told a story in person. Would you have remained engaged with the teller if each and every detail were painfully elaborated upon? Probably not, you possibly would've disengaged (physically, mentally or both). For me, Prometheus is a better movie for leaving some gaps and unanswered questions (within the plot).

If you want to escape reality and just have a good time at the movies, then Prometheus is for you. However, if you tend to over-analyze and critique for faults, then go on and read the low score reviews and save your money for when Prometheus goes to Blu-Ray.

Remember, it's just the movies :)
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simple Phenomenal. I have been waiting for this movie for a loong time. I avoided all trailers and clips so I don't spoil anything from this movie made by one of my best directors Ridley Scott. People probably expected more mostly because they ruined most of it by doing what I didn't do. The problem is that people don't know that there's going to be a sequel called, "Paradise". The other is that people don't like to think and use there brain on what happened and why? It has to be the first movie in along time that actually made me talk about all the theories of it. I have my own theories but I'll explain it later. I have to say this has to be on of the best Sci-Fi movies I have seen since Sunshine. Sci-fi movies are not popular in the movie industry because no one wants to understand it. I love it. I will keep it short. The creators(space Jockeys) came to earth to create us. Then use as a weapon to probably fight a war or invasion that they are involved in. Something goes wrong with there experiment and they have to eliminate some of there own and try to escape. When the crew arrives at there world which is not LV 426 from the alien movie the human crew enters a closed quarters and some worms appear from the soil that evolve later on from the contents of the canisters. The space jockey ship in this movie is not the one that crash landed on LV 426 because Weyland industries knew the location of this world so they would have sent more people to this planet again. Plus the crew from the Nostromo would have bumped into the canisters if this was that ship which its not. If you watch Alien even the planet and system they enter is completely different.

I think the sequel will shine on all these questions which I can't wait. Think about this.
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that this is unquestionably an Alien prequel, so those rumors are true. That's all I'll give away though. I will admit that I had unrealistic expectations going into this movie. Aliens 1 and 2 are two of my favorite movies of all time, so to say I was excited for this movie would be an understatement. Did it live up to my expectations? Not quite. However, II'll start off by saying that this is unquestionably an Alien prequel, so those rumors are true. That's all I'll give away though. I will admit that I had unrealistic expectations going into this movie. Aliens 1 and 2 are two of my favorite movies of all time, so to say I was excited for this movie would be an understatement. Did it live up to my expectations? Not quite. However, I really enjoyed this movie. The atmosphere is what makes this movie, and the cinematography and effects are truly incredible. The movie immediately thrusts you into this mysterious environment, on a planet far away from Earth. It sounds fairly cliche or standard for a sci-fi space movie, and that's because it kind of is. The story leaves a little to be desired, mainly because of some plot holes that the movie never wraps up. This does help the mystery of the movie, and even when it's over there are still plenty of unanswered questions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are sequels to this movie considering the cliffhanger ending. There WILL be a sequel. The bottom line is that Prometheus is an experience that is rare in cinema. It creates another world that is intoxicating and very interesting. While I was mildly dissapointed in this movie, I am still ecstatic for the sequel that is sure to come. Expand
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    This film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there wereThis film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there were moments that clearly needed more definition. That said, Prometheus truly sets the stage for what could be a remarkable series of films, explaining the evolution of humans and aliens as a sort of binary weapons program. If you just want another Alien movie, don't waste your time. If you enjoy incredible CG, interesting philosophical quandaries and a couple freaky monsters it is well worth a few bucks. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    A friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affectedA friend asked me; if I could sum Prometheus up in one word what would it be? My answer: inconsistent, nonsensical, clichéd or stupid. Visually appealing with excellent cinematography but terrible writing and forgettable characters - Prometheus is Alien meets von Däniken meets Supernova (2000) and suffers from "space madness" (a disease that also affected Sunshine, Event Horizon, Mission To Mars and nearly every other SF film of the past two decades) wherein every character becomes an idiot twenty minutes into the film and does stupid things for absolutely no reason other than to propel the plot ... except there wasn't one. Expand
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus should be renamed to Prometheus a ship full of idiots. The simple truth about this movie is that the characters make incredibly idiotic decisions that lead directly to there death. Many scenes were like looking down the barrel of a gun then pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded, as if that's the way you do it. The choices that the characters made ranged from slightly odd toPrometheus should be renamed to Prometheus a ship full of idiots. The simple truth about this movie is that the characters make incredibly idiotic decisions that lead directly to there death. Many scenes were like looking down the barrel of a gun then pulling the trigger to see if it's loaded, as if that's the way you do it. The choices that the characters made ranged from slightly odd to WTF did they do that for? This was more then a bad movie it was almost like no one read the entire script all the way through. I truly believe that someone like me.. Someone who has never made a movie, someone who doesn't know the intricacies of movie making would have said at some point during the making of the movie, " Hey man.. that doesn't make any sense and only an idiot with a death wish would do that" Expand
  8. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus, the new movie of Ridley Scott, and what happen? have a some low score, sorry but the critics have some mistake because the movie is fantastic. Prometheus is an indirect prequel of Alien. The story is amazing and have an awesome development. The performances are amazing, Charlize Theon, Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace OMG!! Excellent. The effects are incredible (thenw oscar winner?). Prometheus is a fantastic movie, and yeah one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    BORING! UNBELIEVABLE! I had great expectations only to be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere. The action scenes are unbelievable. You can't help but feel you have seen this all before, but only in better movies. Stay away from this and go see the three stooges instead,at least the laughs in that movie are supposed to be there.
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    I feel that the main characters lacked development throughout the film, especially Noomi Rapace character apart from Michael Fassbender character. The plot was confusing and slow. Towards the end the action was better, however the build up throughout the film was disappointing leading to the end. See this film if you have seen Alien. If you haven't, stay away from this film.
  11. Jun 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. OneIf you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. One character's makeup was very questionable. One scene was questionable, but could be reasoned. I want to watch it again. Expand
  12. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angryWe have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  13. JYT
    Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott tried to push the limits from previous Sci-Fi/Horror done before and in all directions at the same time: more picturesques, going further with the creation of manking, the horror of the self-surgery, smotther special effects, etc... Charlize Theron plays very well also. Good to watch.
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    Very Very poor attempt to remake "Alien". Director, writer and actors SHOULD have watched Alien before they made this film ... then maybe the plagiarism would have been flattering instead of pathetic.
  15. Jun 9, 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with this film. I only go to the movies today for big spectacle 3D showings. Iâ
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. My first impression of Prometheus was simply, wow. While it didn't quite reach Alien or Aliens in terms of brilliance, it was damn close.

Lets talk plot: I like the idea of the mysterious Engineers that leave their marks all over prehistoric Earth, and an intriguing opening sequence captured the visuals which left my jaw hanging open. Find a huge screen to watch this film, that way you enjoy it exponentially more. Introducing the character of David first was wise, Michael Fassbender is sheerly brilliant as the sinister but polite android David. Noomi Rapace is watch-able but a bit flat as the lead role. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall make for an entertaining but big-mouthed double act. And the way they cop it was very gross-out as there was a lot of in-your-face (literally) creature action. Although suspense in these moments would have been welcome. The exploration of the alien pyramid was enjoyable on a whole because of stunning visuals that welcome 3D with open arms. The holograms of the Engineers were very well presented in leading the characters to the story. When the ickiness began, it was pleasingly grotesque, but not shocking, in the way it could and should have been for a 15 film. Although that factor is picked up very well in a later scene with Shaw on the medi-scanner in a "pregnancy" scene that was horrific and scarring in the sheer amount of blood that was involved. But I like that bit a lot, because it gave Prometheus a backbone where it lacked in true horror. I don't want to drone on, so I'll say the ending was satisfactory in that it showed us the "Space Jockey" ship and pilots chair from Alien, but it was a bit disappointing that the film ends with a fight between tentacled monster and Engineer, like something out of King Kong vs Godzilla. The ending with Shaw and David going off in to space to find answers is obviously setting up a sequel, without promising one. Sensible, and Scott ends with a scene which was so utterly brilliant in its sense of giving the audience satisfaction it almost gets a 10 for the entire film. The Xenomorph appears in all its glory! Which was a fan-pleasing appearance especially since Scott stated it probably wouldn't appear. It's a perfect ending scene, and made me long for a sequel more than I could say. Overall I loved Prometheus, it really lived up to its status as a prequel to one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made, but sadly doesn't quite level with it. For the sequel, if it is made, an upping in suspense and true gross-out horror would be the driving force to get a 10/10. BUT DON'T TONE DOWN THE VISUALS, SCOTT! THEY WERE BRILLIANT!
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into movie only having the trailer once and seen/ read no reviews to not spoil it. I had hopes this would be a movie that would rival the Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers Assemble quality and as best summer film.
    I was wrong. The plot is well average in everyway, the characters apart from one exception are generic and the action feels limited.
    The plot - very generic and

The plot - very generic and follows a storyline you've seen before
    Characters but David ( Fassbender) - All generic , 2D dimensional with little backstory or development, so you dont really care what happens to them.
    But I will address the positives, the CGI is absolutely amazing and I give credit to Ridley Scott for this, its trully beautiful. Then there's David, one of the best characters I've ever seen, you constantly question his motives and actions and his performance is truly stand out.

To conclude I would say you should see the movie but only at a reasonable price , and if you wait for it appear on TV or DVD , your not missing much
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    I've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater ifI've never felt this underwhelmed for a film in a while. I'll put it simply: the editing and writing was truly horrible. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping that it would turn around. I did love the visuals and cinematography, but it's kind of hard for the cinematography to become even greater when a shot doesn't last. Acting was also great, but could of been greater if the story was written better. The end. Expand
  19. Jun 9, 2012
    I went into the cinema without any expectations or the immature Alien fanaticism of my teens, I went in there to watch a very good science fiction film, and that is exactly what I got. Tense scenes, style, effects, a storyline that doesn't spoon feed you (like most Americans need unfortunately) but actually has you thinking long after the film ends. The film essentially sticks two fingersI went into the cinema without any expectations or the immature Alien fanaticism of my teens, I went in there to watch a very good science fiction film, and that is exactly what I got. Tense scenes, style, effects, a storyline that doesn't spoon feed you (like most Americans need unfortunately) but actually has you thinking long after the film ends. The film essentially sticks two fingers up and the Alien franchise, and I loved that. Rather than pander to childish fans and try to tie in with the ever weakening series of films, it started fresh; a bit of the old but mostly new. And this has given the whole concept of the Alien a new and fresh direction to grow in. My only gripe with the film is that we don't have an opportunity to connect with the characters. Which is a shame. I was very happy with this film and I recommend that people with intelligence and appreciation of a beautiful film and a fresh start go and see it. For the hardcore Alien fans and the monkeys in society, go and watch paint dry. Expand
  20. Jun 9, 2012
    the visal experience of promethus is stunning, it really keeps your mind and eyes at the screens,. script has some flaws, but u know u do not discuss a movie s flaws if it is a bad movie. i personally enjoy it very much. if u are looking for 2 hrs of entertainment, i highly recommend this movie
  21. Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the otherRidley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the other hand though, there is a whole lot of plotholes, unanswered questions and frustratingly stupid characters. Some of those questions might be just a set-off point for the sequel, but a movie's got to have a finished story to be fully enjoyable. However, I must say that most of the plotholes didn't spoil my impression of the movie, I started thinking of them a bit after I got out of the cinema. All in all, it is a cool sci-fi thriller with immersive 3D, but don't expect it to become a cult classic like Alien. Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2012
    I must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideasI must say I went into this film with high expectations. Did it meet my expectations? In a way yes in a way no. For the positives it was certainly entertaining and very suspenseful. It grabbed my intrigue from the opening shot and kept me into it the whole film. However sometimes entertaining is not enough. The trailer promised a film with deep themes, but it really fell short. The ideas were not developed. They were laid out near the beginning almost never to be referred to again. Prometheus' main flaw lies in it's lack of explanation and loose ends. Many things went unexplained and in the grand scheme of things the viewer is left asking why and how. It is also important to take note of the performances in the film. Fassbender is incredible pretty much carnying the film on his back building the intrigue and suspense which is the thing it solely relies on. Noomi Repace is terrible in one of the leading roles and is a total miscast. All in all Prometheus is a mixed bag that won't forget to entertain. Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    You'll like the film if you go in not caring or thinking about it's ties to the Alien franchise. The negative reviews are people comparing it to Alien or picking apart things that make sense if they think about it for one minute. I would go through all the reviews and minimal reasons for hating it and why the reasons are invalid but I'm not going to waste my time.
  25. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very happy to finally see a "grown-up" Sci Fi Horror film where not everything is fully explained and in this respect loved Prometheus...to be honest, the script seemed a little light in context and discovery, and .I have to admit to mild frustration in not knowing more about the backstory of the Engineers, and the reason for their malevolence...

Noomi Rapace is outstanding as Dr. Shaw and Michael Fassbinder is fascinating to watch as the android David.. Idris Elba is excellent as the understated Captain of Prometheus... Let's face it though, the real stars of the film are the CGI experts, designers and cinemotographer Dariusz Wolski makes the film a gorgeous, state-of-the-art masterwork that is not to be missed on a big screen. The Engineers look alot like a Greek base-relief of gods and I'm sure that was deliberate...the film's aliens exceed the original Aliens and their flawless. seamless creation by the CGI designers is truly unbelieveable....not to mention their menace...There is great tension and some unexpected surprises...but it seemed the backstories of the characters were not as important as the task at hand and leaves a nagging feeling of wanting a little more...

( I for one would have loved to see the first half of the second act with the humans encountering the Engineers--our creators--and they thilled to see we have found them...they sharing knowledge and information with us (like curing cancer) that would be magical and wonderous...but some members of Prometheus are especially curious about something they keep from us...steal it, and the chase is on to get away from them...but that's just me.)

Going to see it again...not quite a masterpiece, but pretty darn close.
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    This movie is great. I'll admit there are a few moments where the point is unclear, but it shines through these. The genius of this movies plot can be found, but it takes some thinking in and out of the theater, and still not everything will be revealed. All in all, the story connects together well, the acting is good, and the story perfectly ties in with the rest of the Alien series whileThis movie is great. I'll admit there are a few moments where the point is unclear, but it shines through these. The genius of this movies plot can be found, but it takes some thinking in and out of the theater, and still not everything will be revealed. All in all, the story connects together well, the acting is good, and the story perfectly ties in with the rest of the Alien series while still feeling new and having its own style. Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific.Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment! Shallow characters, **** story, bad make-up, cheap thrills. 2 hours of boring foreplay for a 15 second climax at the end in the form of a proto-Alien emerging from its host. One thing's for sure: this movie won't ever be the cultural reference point that the original were. Utterly disappointing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.