Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1902 Ratings
1,148
WATCH NOW
QuikeJun 16, 2012
"Prometheus" takes off the veil of mystery and horror created by "Alien" and transforms it into a pretentious but hollow story, where the lack of realism in the characters and poor search of deepness in the themes are their major problems."Prometheus" takes off the veil of mystery and horror created by "Alien" and transforms it into a pretentious but hollow story, where the lack of realism in the characters and poor search of deepness in the themes are their major problems. This movie made me feel that Ridley tried to put 30 years of "alien ideas" into a single movie, and the result is a movie with no good structure that takes the magic away from the "Alien" universe. Expand
dpark4Jun 19, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie did do it's job: keep me entertained. But entertained for the wrong reasons when watching a movie. I found myself entertained by the absolutely ridiculous and preposterous experiences that occur in nearly every scene. I could only compare the plot line of Prometheus to be congruous to the imagination of an avid six year old child. The movie starts out promising; a series of cave drawings and ancient symbols that leave you wondering about the possible link between ancient civilizations and the unknown universe. Sadly, no such link exists in this movie, simply leaving the viewer more puzzled. This is only the first of dozens of irrelevant plot lines that sprout off of the main, hideous plot. The crew of the ship is a squad of incompetent so-called scientists who, throughout the course of the movie, manage to stuff unknown alien heads into duffle bags, then proceed to blow it up after 3 minutes; get lost in the most simplistic of tunnels, even with the technology of 2094, then approach and be instantly killed by a 12 inch snake; open the door for a previous crew mate, who is so blatantly obviously infected (with an unexplained dark liquid) who wipes out nearly every member of the crew; the list goes on. On top of all of this, Prometheus contains the worst imagery that I have ever seen in my life, rivaling Two Girls One Cup. Shaw, apparently, burstingly pregnant with an octopus, knocks out some crew members with ease, then gives her self a cesarean section, staples herself up, and walks away, leaving her newborn octopus squirming in a glass chamber. This newborn octopus, with no nearby food, grows over 20 feet long, opens the glass chamber by itself, and then easily rapes the superhuman of the universe. If this is not the imagination of a six year old child, I don't know what is Expand
Twist-RaidJul 21, 2012
Sloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence hadSloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence had been insulted by this film. However, Michael Fassbender, despite the pointless actions of his character, did an amazing job as David. The CGI was also top notch, but that's not really something out of the ordinary in today's films. Expand
CraaaazyEddieAug 7, 2012
Basically, the theatre experience of Prometheus is like a date with a stereotypically dumb 'hot blonde' . A visual treat, fun while it lasts, but not something you think about fondly. ...And yes, I am that shallow ... but sadly, so is this film.
ProudRoosterSep 18, 2012
Prometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew rangePrometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron's character has a lot of dialogue but does almost nothing. David (the robot) is played terrifically by Michael Fassbender but suffers from a convoluted and confusing last few scenes where he goes from curious scientist to aloof murderer to possible savior all in the space of about 15 minutes. Shaw is presumably the protagonist although you wouldn't guess it or even want it. I watched the whole thing yesterday, went to bed content and woke up irritated. Basically, don't over think this one. Expand
GoingCriticDec 29, 2012
The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott)

Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space

Sorry.

Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis:

A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
aLittleTooQuietJun 16, 2012
In an effort to prove that George Lucas isn't the only director who can ruin an iconic cultural force from the 70s and 80s, Ridley Scott has provided a series of moronic answers to all the questions you never asked about Alien.

This

This steaming pile manages to be filled alternately with both an offensive lack of nuance and subtlety and also such glaring plot holes that it makes me wonder which the writers hold in more contempt: The Alien franchise, or its fans?

Once you get past the cheesy opening scene, the film actually starts off fairly well, building a strong sense of growing terror on a foundation of naive hopefulness, but descends into a pointless mess in the third act. In those rare moments where it manages to be unpredictable, it is idiotic and nonsensical. Where the original Alien was a delicate tool which built a sense of dread by subtle implication and rare, quick glimpses of the creature, Prometheus is a club, smashing you in the head with overt and cartoonish monstrosities meant to appeal only to the dumbest humanity has to offer.

I will give it a couple of points for some beautiful cinematography and the compellingly creepy performance of Michael Fassbender, but those qualities aren't enough to outweigh its obvious and innumerable flaws.
NutsAboutMoviesJun 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a Greek Titan punished by Zeus for playing a trick on him. The trick was hiding bull's bones in glistening fat (something inedible inside a pleasing exterior). When Zeus found out, he commanded Prometheus be chained to a rock for all time, where his liver is eaten daily by an eagle, only for it to regenerate overnight, due to his immortality.

Ridley Scott has delivered a similar trick; a film with a pleasing exterior: beautifully-staged trailers and plenty of talk about what a great film this will be. Ridley should be similarly punished for having delivered such bullâ
jsoardJun 16, 2012
Eye candy, but jeez,... give me a story that makes sense. I actually feel used by this genre. I endured the Star Wars saga hoping for the heart of the first (or fourth, as it were). It never came. I endured the Matrix Reloaded and RevisitedEye candy, but jeez,... give me a story that makes sense. I actually feel used by this genre. I endured the Star Wars saga hoping for the heart of the first (or fourth, as it were). It never came. I endured the Matrix Reloaded and Revisited without the magic of the Matrix. I was hooked by Battlestar Gallactica and followed it to its end hoping for satisfaction but was handed loose ends and cheap shots (Starbuck as an angel? Pleez!). Alien and Aliens are iconic but I knew better that to follow the idiotic franchise. Trusting R. Scot for Prometheus, I bit the bullet and got burned. In essence, it's a fabulous setting for a seriously flawed, potential jewel. Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 16, 2013
I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
j0nnyr0yJun 14, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ridley scott has definitely lost his mind/creativity a long time ago.
everyone who liked this movie just a little bit, is either lying to themselves or has terrible taste in movies.
everything in this movie is cliche & the only remotely interesting/relatable character is david. to see more on why this movie sucked watch:
MarcoPoloGroupJun 15, 2012
I never sign up for these sites. But I did for this one. Only to agree totally with the review written by Taantric! A wonderful review of a sad use of millions of dollars. Everyone should read his review. I too, scratched my head at the sheerI never sign up for these sites. But I did for this one. Only to agree totally with the review written by Taantric! A wonderful review of a sad use of millions of dollars. Everyone should read his review. I too, scratched my head at the sheer stupidity of the worlds greatest scientists sent on the journey to meet our 'creators'. When you consider the creature of the Alien franchisee and then look at the tentacles of what is ultimately suppose to be scary you have to ask why? Too bad and too cheezy. You want to see deeper character development but it is unavailable, so ultimately you don't care as they die off. No Ripley character here worth savings. Just sad. Expand
adverbJun 11, 2012
Ridley Scott essentially remade "Alien," this time without the suspense or intelligence. I could list off the top of my head 10 unnecessary plot elements, most of which are rendered poorly. While the visuals are, at times, striking, theRidley Scott essentially remade "Alien," this time without the suspense or intelligence. I could list off the top of my head 10 unnecessary plot elements, most of which are rendered poorly. While the visuals are, at times, striking, the movie was, overall, a crushing disappointment. Expand
jimboesqJun 17, 2012
Saw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history ofSaw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside the only 'man-made' structures on the planet ) the 'scientists' are dipping their fingers into strange primordial goo, lugging a severed alien head back the size of 2 watermelons back to an unquarantined spaceship in a glad bag. Two female Expand
CriticalStateJun 8, 2012
An exercise in writing futility with trace amounts of surprising boredom and very few scares. Prometheus fails to deliver on many accounts what was promised in an exciting full length trailer, and from Scott and 20th Century Fox in generalAn exercise in writing futility with trace amounts of surprising boredom and very few scares. Prometheus fails to deliver on many accounts what was promised in an exciting full length trailer, and from Scott and 20th Century Fox in general when they intended to make this film a semi-prequel to the 1979 Scott masterpiece Alien. The opening scene is impressive but immediately the soundtrack is over bearing and slightly distracting, and it remains so through the duration of this film. The actors work with what they have (and it is very little, more on that later), but the standout is Michael Fassbender, with a mention to Idris Elba for being goofy and likable albeit a caricature. Cinematography is beautiful, but I am afraid the writing is not. Damon Lindelof fails on multiple levels, the plot is filled with holes and a lack of direction, the dialogue is absolutely dreadful (I am talking AVP levels here,if you thought Avatar had cheesy and cliche dialogue you may want to avoid paying for this), and the story remains unanswered toward the end. Oh, and I forgot to mention, we are hit over the head numerous times by heavy handed religious overtones, a Lindelof trademark apparently.

Is it a bad film? Ultimately, no. The horror scenes are alright (not truly scary) and the creatures cannot even come close to the greatness of the original xeno (although that was never expected). As I said, the filming is beautiful and it will please some audiences as the heavy handiness may go over their heads while watching. Sadly, towards the end of the film, I was shocked to find that I had succumbed to boredom, after months of waiting in anticipation for this film. That was the most disappointing thing of all, and epitomized a film of lost opportunity. It barely gets a passing grade for how gorgeous it is, but its script fails it in more ways than many will care to overlook.
Jude0013Jun 15, 2012
Poorly written, a script charred by ambition, leaving a brilliant director to rely on special effects and stunning vistas. Theron is sorrowfully miscast and misused, traipsing around the ships deck as though it were the Parisian catwalks,Poorly written, a script charred by ambition, leaving a brilliant director to rely on special effects and stunning vistas. Theron is sorrowfully miscast and misused, traipsing around the ships deck as though it were the Parisian catwalks, rendering every minute of her performance a pretense. Rapace is enthused and dedicated, but seems to be the only character that is genuinely effected by the dread around her......towards the end the multiple mini climaxes are collectively anticlimactic, and sadly familiar. Can you outrun a falling spaceship? Do you care? No, not really. Expand
terro10kJun 9, 2012
One must remember why most people attend the movies: to escape. As a passive voyeur, the movie viewer anticipates being taken away from the mundane and dreariness of everyday life to an artificial world of endless possibilities. And IMO,One must remember why most people attend the movies: to escape. As a passive voyeur, the movie viewer anticipates being taken away from the mundane and dreariness of everyday life to an artificial world of endless possibilities. And IMO, Prometheus accomplishes this.

Sure, there are holes and unanswered questions scattered about, but think about the last time you were told a story in person. Would you have remained engaged with the teller if each and every detail were painfully elaborated upon? Probably not, you possibly would've disengaged (physically, mentally or both). For me, Prometheus is a better movie for leaving some gaps and unanswered questions (within the plot).

If you want to escape reality and just have a good time at the movies, then Prometheus is for you. However, if you tend to over-analyze and critique for faults, then go on and read the low score reviews and save your money for when Prometheus goes to Blu-Ray.

Remember, it's just the movies :)
sirromJun 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be warned, this film is very stupid. Highly intelligent alien beings created all life on earth yet are stupid enough to revisit ages later and leave us clues and directions to their moon base so we can go there and destroy them. This is a trillion dollar endeavor to reach this moon and this rag tag group of characters is the best Peter Weyland could come up with to see this mission succeed? State of the art probes that can't detect worms or mutated snake aliens. An android with the ability to see into the future. How else would david know that by poisoning a crew member with alien goo he would copulate with his barren girlfriend an she would conceive an alien facehugger? This film has more plot holes than swiss cheese. Since when are archaeologists also biologists and skilled enough surgeons to operate advanced surgical equipment on themselves while a squid tears at their insides? Still not impressed? Evolution only takes minutes and hours in this film, not years or eons. One final spoiler: the alien life cycle has no incubation/developement stage and produces full grown xenomorphs that explode out of the host body, no chestbursters here. Very disappointing film indeed! Expand
heyitsmegrif4Jun 20, 2012
Prometheus is haunting, beautiful, grotesque, exciting, thrilling, and suspenseful. It features incredible performances from Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and mostly Michael Fassbender. This is the best film of the year so far and probablyPrometheus is haunting, beautiful, grotesque, exciting, thrilling, and suspenseful. It features incredible performances from Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and mostly Michael Fassbender. This is the best film of the year so far and probably the most thought provoking films in the past decade. I give this movie 97%. Expand
DaxilliusJun 10, 2012
Awful script with shallow, underdeveloped characters and massive plotholes. One of the worst pieces of sci-fi writing I've seen in years. Even the great acting and direction can't redeem this film.
G3RJun 11, 2012
The cgi is beautiful. The story is an old one, told many times before. What a waste of a great opportunity. I wouldn't waste my money on the theater with this one.
RossjudasOct 1, 2012
Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, newSimply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
ADILJun 20, 2012
One of the best new films for me! Science fiction and movies should be like
Prometheus and the director of the best directors honestly! Enjoy and when look at his movies of all shapes and kinds! thx Mr.Ridley Scott :)
BikerjamesJun 18, 2012
Wow, is this film gorgeous to look at. Probably the best 3D I have seen as well. I was NEVER bored during the movie and the time went by quickly. I have never seen any scary film that didn't have people doing illogical things (includingWow, is this film gorgeous to look at. Probably the best 3D I have seen as well. I was NEVER bored during the movie and the time went by quickly. I have never seen any scary film that didn't have people doing illogical things (including the earlier Alien films) and this film is no different, but I was still entertained throughout. If you think about it, if these scientists really behaved like scientists the movie would be boring. I really appreciated that the scary scenes didn't drag on and on and on and it didn't have any scenes where the bad guy just doesn't die, even when he should be dead (I HATE that). The CGI is flawless throughout. Personally, I think this film is a classic. I was still thinking about it the next day after seeing it. If this film doesn't win every Oscar for visual effects it will be a crime. Expand
wishmasterJun 16, 2012
Raw, intriguing, everything I loved it all! was magnificent, thrilling, praise the assembly work, special effects and cinematography. I'm a fan of this movie Alien and revealed some doubts, but created more and I like that a movie leaves youRaw, intriguing, everything I loved it all! was magnificent, thrilling, praise the assembly work, special effects and cinematography. I'm a fan of this movie Alien and revealed some doubts, but created more and I like that a movie leaves you wanting to nurse a sequel. Expand
c00lhandJun 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually stunning, yet the underlying story lacked futuristic plausibility and authenticity for the created realm. Initially I thought this was going to be this year's "best movie" despite the terrific competition, but unfortunately the movie left me scratching my head way to often. There's so many things I can nit pick to death about this movie that I can only rate it as "a good watch". There's so many questions I wish I could ask the writers, the director, and producers. Here are a few of the things that irked me most... (1) when reaching the planet, why wasn't the planet observed from space first to decipher the best place(s) to land and investigate? They should have treated this moment to be similar to how we in our present time treat Mars exploration. Study the geology of the planet and decipher where best to investigate further. Instead we got an immediate surface cruise with the hope of stumbling across an interesting feature to suggest that intelligent life exists/ed. (2) The removal of the space suit head gear inside the cavern just because some readings reported the atmosphere was similar to earth's air was extremely stupid and unrealistic. The risks... (a) unknown viral contaminates within the atmosphere that may not of been capable of being read by the scanner could have made the scientists deadly sick, any smart scientist wouldn't have risked that possibility, (b) any contaminates the crew themselves might have introduced into the alien atmosphere would have been equally foolish. Just think back to the history of our own world, when Europeans discovered America the sicknesses that got passed to the indigenous people were huge. The fact that all the other exploratory crew simply followed along after the male scientist took his off bothered me... was that a form of peer pressure or mass stupidity? (3) The Biologist and Geologist scientists. Part 1: When the crew discovers the dead alien body why is it alright for the crew to let the biologist guy walk away? Wouldn't the study of that corpse be one of the reasons he was brought along in the first place? Secondly, the Geologist guy, how is it that the guy who's supposedly the expert on understanding the cavern and the one who's in charge of the mapping drones, how is he the one who gets lost in trying to get out of the cavern? Plus, these two characters had the ability to stay in constant contact with both the ship and the rest of the exploratory crew while making their way back out. Not-to-mention, the Captain of the Prometheus was able to watch all of their exact positions within the cavern while being in constant contact with them. Part 2: These 2 characters were so scared of the dead alien body that they left the rest of the exploratory crew to get back to the ship, they also showed that same attitude when they were asked to check out a mapping drone which was signaling that an active life was near it, then when they find themselves back at the initial chamber they decide to have a look around? The biologist guy even decides to reach out in awe when being confronted by a worm-like creature, funny considering he was freaked out by the possibility of encountering something alive just a bit earlier and now he's all stupidly curious. Where did the character consistency go? (4) The investigating method the exploratory team had once the sealed chamber was opened. I'm surprised that the chamber wasn't treated more like a mix between a crime scene and a decontamination zone. Instead you had the characters simply walking around in awe, touching and handling a preserved alien head with their space suits and the AI character messing around and touching **** without using some sort of sample collecting tool(s). Plus, the fact that black goo substance was seen on the top(s) of some of these containers was that not enough of a reason to be more cautious about breathing in the air within that room? (5) The AI's decision to open the alien container inside the ship. First there's no evidence of him running any scans on it, which implies he couldn't have know the potential harm that could have been done to the atmosphere within the ship. He simply pulls out the vase like container from cool storage and he begins opening it. He even eventually cracks open the glass-like inner container to expose the liquid inside. What was a supposedly super smart AI thinking? That action endangered everyones lives within the ship, even his creators. Then there is the question of what happened to the rest of that sample? Did he destroy the rest after taking the amount on his finger to the male scientist or did he keep the rest of it. If he kept it, how did he prevent it from oozing like the black substance was doing in the chamber? BTW, the fact that the black substance was oozing out of the vases inside that chamber, does that imply that all of those glass-like containers were broken, except for the one he took with him? Expand
BladeFanJun 11, 2012
I'm a huge fan of early Ridley Scott sci-fi. Bladerunner and Alien have been two of my top ten movies of all time, for over two decades. It's probably because of this that Prometheus failed so hugely for me. As soon as the first preview wasI'm a huge fan of early Ridley Scott sci-fi. Bladerunner and Alien have been two of my top ten movies of all time, for over two decades. It's probably because of this that Prometheus failed so hugely for me. As soon as the first preview was released, I was amped for this film.I watched every preview, Ridley Scott interview, and pre-release item I could find. I knew I had "expectations" that few directors could meet--including my all-time favorite. Now, it seems, I cannot find five redeeming things to say about the film without thinking of 85 complaints.What was the purpose of the Prometheus "God" in the beginning sequence, drinking the "alien Koolaid?" Why were the "gods" angry with the "earthlings? Why couldn't the creature designers pick and stick with ONE alien creature design--instead of the squid-vagina-penis-cobra-Alien 3 morphed creature combos? The original Alien design was so perfect, so basic, so original; it was as if Scott couldn't decide on how to represent that concept in the "pre-story" so he just went with ALL the ideas. What was the point of making the beautiful Bishop re-dux robot character, David, an evil-plotting-alien-spawning bad guy? How many "homages" does one director get in one movie? There was the 2001 Space Odyssey -bicycle-basketball scene, the John WIlliams' Star Wars theme music. .... The narrative is splintered, incongruent, and non-sensical. The special effects canNOT save the film from its many contradictions and easy horror ploys. Expand
YoCriticJun 14, 2012
I have been racking my brain all day contemplating just how this terrible movie could have ever been written, made and released. And what I came up with is drug addiction. Everyone involved in the decision making processes of this movieI have been racking my brain all day contemplating just how this terrible movie could have ever been written, made and released. And what I came up with is drug addiction. Everyone involved in the decision making processes of this movie must have been high, hung over or in withdrawals to allow for so many terrible decisions, ideas, errors and redundancies to be incorporated into one two-hour movie. Talk about the inability to criticise one Expand
JamesLJun 11, 2012
A friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply anyA friend told me that this was a horrible movie and that I would be bored to death. With that in mind, I went anyway,and found that the movie was not boring but it was rather stupid. I was entertained but the story is absurd if you apply any logic or reason and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions that are not answered. The crew do things that are beyond belief for this mission and I wonder why the writers thought that anyone watching this movie would find their actions believable. I hope that Ridley Scott will use his talents to make a much better film if he does a sequel. However, do we need another film with those alien creatures in them? That idea has lost its luster many years ago. Expand
moltonastyJul 1, 2012
My review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crewMy review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters in 2 hours while still focusing on the main plot of the film. The rest of the crew is as expendable to the plot as they were to the weyland corperation who employed them. The main focus of the film, IMO, was to expand upon te mythology hinted at in the first alien film, while creating new questions as well. I don't see people complaining about the unanswered questions in Ridleys original alien film, so why all the complaints about "plot holes and unanswered questions" here? It seems pretty obvious that this Mbps intentionally created new questions aout the space jockey race, and expanded the universe, rather than just throwing a bunch of xenomorphs on screen and making an obvious alien prequel, which would have been a lot easier and certainly less risky from a creative standpoint. Another complaint I have seen is that the crew was "too dumb" to be scientists and that their behavior was absurd or not realistic in some way. Well guess what, humans are typically dumb, fearful, and weak. Just look at the history of our world and it becomes obvious. The plot wanted to emphasize that even though humans have developed and advanced in terms of technology, our minds are just as primitive as ever, which our creators, the space jockeys, definitely realized. Why should it be surprising that these people would behave irrationally when xonfronted with unknown species on a brand new planet? Some of the people criticizing the film seem to think that scientists are somehow super humans or something. Guess what, they are just ordinary people like you or I, who focused their time and energy on scientific pursuits, in this case they wanted to discover the origins of a species they believed to be the creators of mankind. I fail to see where the plot holes lie, why people expect 17 characters to be fully developed and focused on even though they are not integral to they key plot points, or how this film is any way close to a travesty like the star wars prequels. This did not conflict with alien in any way, it only expanded upon the universe presented there. The fact that the scientists decided to go on an expedition primarily based upon faith does not equal a plot hole. Since when does a scientist have to be a cold calculating machine based on hard facts? It seems obvious that they were meant to be complex characters with multiple beliefs and motives, just like people in the...wait for it...real world. The android of David is the opposite, as he serves his programming primarily, which reflects the inherit flaws on humanity which cause us to follow our beliefs and gut instincts, sometimes to our downfall. The film encapsulated these themes beautifully, all while expressing masterful special effects, beautiful cinematography, and an open ended ending whic leaves us with more questions wondering "whats next?" Rather than making a predictable alien prequel, Ridley Scott did so much more, and did not spoon feed the audience the answers we so desperately crave as the audience, and as humans. A lack of answers does not equal a plot hole, and this movie was a burst of fresh air in a world of predictable sequels remakes and overall unoriginal ideas. The fact that there is so much criticism for this movie baffles me, and I feel it truly deserves much more praise than it has received. Expand