6.5

1. Jun 8, 2012
    I went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (orI went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (or 'engineers') look cool. I wish I could give it a 9 but I think an 8 is a bit more appropriate for it. Still a good movie and I recommend it. Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    Watched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that itsWatched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that its well worth seeing in the Cinema in 3D as its gorgeous and the sense of scale is mesmerizing. Michael Fassbender is brilliant and steals the show even with Noomi Rapace doing an "OK" Ripley impression. Ridley Scott you did well by me. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big and beautiful film, which I enjoyed, but which had literally dozens of plot holes. I feel like a couple of guys got into a room and came up with the story, "yeah, and then when we charge the head, it comes alive, and then explodes, yeah, cool", and "we can make the robot kinda evil," but without any motivation to be? While if you can ignore so much nonsense, you will enjoy this movie, I can't help feeling, over and over, every time I see a big budget film that either the producers are stupid (because it would be so ridiculously easy to patch the plot holes), or they think I am. Expand
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angryWe have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  6. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific.Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. OneIf you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. One character's makeup was very questionable. One scene was questionable, but could be reasoned. I want to watch it again. Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    I love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, II love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, I laughed, I cried, I was speechless, my heart-stopped a few times, it was overall amazing. Definitely go see it, the midnight release was so worth it and I will happily see this again. Expand
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie?A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
  10. VTx
    Jun 8, 2012
    People always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien fromPeople always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien from "aliens movies" and is a new specie who knows.
    Maybe in the second movie the producers and writers will give us some answers when Shaw kill them, I bet s going to be more thriller.
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  12. Jun 10, 2012
    Another great Ridley Scott movie, he is a great director, it has awesome special effects and it has to much suspense, and we have a great performance by a new movie star, Michael Fassbender, who is really popular at the moment
  13. Jul 14, 2012
    This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tackedThis film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
  14. Oct 19, 2012
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    Film fans be warned - this is an overblown, pretentious, boring, mess of a movie.
    On Metacritic no-one can hear you scream - THIS IS RUBBISH!
    A real let down for fans of Alien 1 or 2. The b-movie style jump scares were boring, the characters were boring (with the exception of the captain) there was precious little of the nuance or tension of Alien 1 or the exciting action of Alien 2. This looked nice but the story was pants. The hologram flash back device sucked.
  15. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm not usually into Sci-Fi films, however, this film was the exception. Fantastic visual effects, intriguing storyline, and a philosophical twist to it. All the ingredients that make up a great film.
  16. Jun 14, 2012
    The movie would never be as good as my expectation level for it, but I really enjoyed it. Imax 3D was brilliant. Visually the movie is stunning. It feels like it could have used 15-20 more minutes for character developement,more suspense, and I just wanted more. Like an episode of Lost, it creates more questions than answers given,but I think thats why they hired Lindelof to rewriteThe movie would never be as good as my expectation level for it, but I really enjoyed it. Imax 3D was brilliant. Visually the movie is stunning. It feels like it could have used 15-20 more minutes for character developement,more suspense, and I just wanted more. Like an episode of Lost, it creates more questions than answers given,but I think thats why they hired Lindelof to rewrite Spaihts script. A good film that could have been better is what i get out of it. It has a lot of Alien type scenes recreated but they lack the suspense and dread that the 1st film had. I also dont understand putting music in all the scenes where it should be silent or ambient sounds to create some of that mood that is missing. A sequel should be interesting! 9/10 stars Expand
  17. Jun 13, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    The script jumps whole sections ahead and back. True. The characters behaved nonsensical and were flat. True. However; the story does answer a lot of questions ; where do the aliens come from, who are the giger corpses in the crashed ship, why is wayland so horny to exploit it. Albeit chaotic, it has excellent pacing. Theres not much suspense, but it mixes mystery exploration with nastiness. I didnt even know who the protagonists actually were until half the way through. Which in times of utter plot predictability is a welcome variation. The main characters are a christian fanatic and a "i wear flipflops while sipping my latte in this space ship" douche who was so stereotypically hipster that ridley scott must have made intentional statement on his hatred for apple stores and starbucks. I couldnt wait for them to die, and my sympathies were with the evil charlize theron all along. Fantastic! A movie that destroys classic plot structures so profoundly and still gets away with it is a true innovation for mainstream hollywood in my book. The story jumps a little too harshly here and there, and some characters are propably supposed to be 80ies cheese stereotypes as a hommage, but too flat in the end. But the visuals are fantastic and the pacing works. Its not an intelligent movie as the questions about the origins of humanity (aliens vs god) is overdone and shallow in itself, but the movie is not supposed to be 2001 anyways. As a plot framework its sufficient. All in all quite unpredictable and quirky, a true experience. I felt thoroughly brain raped. And thats a compliment.
  18. Jun 10, 2012
    A major debate that underlies the film is what's interesting, what I believed was supposed to be the question of Religion Vs Science, Creationism Vs Evolution. Unfortunately the film doesn't really do much with it. Apart from that the film offers a few interesting new ideas to the Alien story and of course the gorgeous visuals and a few expected scares.

Overall this film was enjoyable to

Overall this film was enjoyable to watch but just fell short of being a great film, it seems as if there were missing scenes, if not then some lazy story telling but I find the later hard to believe coming from a seasoned director.

Fully expecting a much more coherent directors cut some time in the future. I hope that the film wasn't chopped up on purpose just to push more BluRay sales.
  19. Jun 17, 2012
    This film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But theThis film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But the theme is used throughout the film and brilliantly that is. In the depths of space and terror, this theme really helped pull me back to the comfort of home or Earth and this sort of 'journey' and experience what really knocked this film out of the ballpark for me. As well, the basic concept of this film is an extremely difficult subject matter to approach. The origins of mankind are obviously so mind bending that no human will ever truly know. Yet Ridley Scott took a stab and this film and it's philosophies are just spectacular and in the end highly entertaining with lots of thinking. The bad: the scene where those 2 scientists meet their demise with the"water snake" was really too silly for this film's caliber. Otherwise, loved every moment of the film and looking forward to watching it again hopefully soon. Expand
  20. Jun 10, 2012
    This metascore is an absolute travesty. A beautiful, thought-provoking science-fiction film discussing what it means to be human, and the origins of life. It's metascore should be much much higher, at least in the seventies.
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    This is for sure the best movie of 2012 I have seen so far, Sci fi movies are of my favorites, I also loved Alien I also liked this one but not that much as alien, but still awesome
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Great movie. The Alien genie has been out of the bottle for years. It was natural to explore the space jockey in this one. This is a mature movie with real thought provoking questions in it. More of a journey more than a destination.
  23. Jun 14, 2012
    I usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if II usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if I were to criticize them. That being said the WOW factor of Prometheus is undeniable. Too ambitious for its length of two hours it did seem disjointed and confusing for those unacquainted with the Alien films. Full of philosophy and homages to other films (the Alien series obviously, but also to 2001, the Thing remake etc) it had me absorbed during and ruminating after viewing. I kept the criticisms in the back of my mind while watching and let the director do his thing and thoroughly enjoyed where he took me. Obviously there were compromises in the production of the film probably foisted on him by the studio (most notably running time constraints) that prevented him from plot and character development (who knows what wound up on the cutting room floor), but for a sci-fi fan there really is no disappointment in this film. Leave the overthinking till after the movie's over. Prometheus IS a worthy prequel but probably will not be considered a classic sci-fi stand alone film. It should be viewed by all sci-fi fans in the theater. and judged on its merits, not its deficiencies. If you have an open mind it won't disappoint. Lets see what comes out on the extended/directors version blu-ray release. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2012
    If you want to watch Alien, go watch it! If you want to watch something new then stay around for Prometheus. This sci-fi story of finding our creator is beautiful. It is deep and at times to philosophical for some, but if you listen to the last line of Weyland than you can understand the scope of the journey. I really enjoyed it and the action scenes are intense. GO watch it.
  25. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read the other negatives... this is as bad as serious movies can get, and I enjoyed the red reviews more. There are so many plot holes that it is not even worth analysing them. People seem to make excuses by looking for depth, depth which just isn't there. The symbolism can be summed up in two sentences, or a one word title, which is about the best thing in the film. The dialogue is just mind-bogglingly bad. The beauty of Alien was it's naturalism. People talked like where they were and who they were. This film tries to replicate that, by some pointless bickering between unimportant characters, and some portentous dross from other side characters. You end up wanting to rip everyone's head off to see if they're a robot.

The other excuse people raise is that it looks good. It doesn't. It looks like Armageddon crossed with Dune for 2012... and I mean that in a bad way. Throw in Biff from BTTF (were no actual old people available for the role?), suicidal space jockeys, zombies, attack snakes... and some holograms. Seriously don't start me on the holograms, I can imagine the script session: "We need to move the plot along"
    "How about some holograms of people running away from something?"
    "Won't people notice that makes no sense at all?"
    "Probably not... don't overestimate your audience."
    "Cool, what about learning to start the alien ship?"
    "No problem, we'll use the holograms to show the alien controlling his ship with a flute."
    "You are da man!"

I think my main problem was that I wanted to take it seriously. Had I known going in it was "Alien know what you did last summer" I would have sat back and enjoyed the laughs.
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien wasFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was pretty dumb. The characters took dumb, unexplainable risks. The story was full of holes. There were NO BOLD CHOICES at all. Was the prime motivation immortality or WMDs? What was the point?

Very very disappointing story.
  29. Jun 10, 2012
    Story, characters, ideas, visuals - nothing in Prometheus surprised me. Which is the worst thing you can say about any piece of entertainment. (Gross-outs don't count as genuine surprises.)
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.