6.5

1. Sep 6, 2014
    Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
  2. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  4. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  5. Dec 5, 2013
    This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
    Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
    I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them
    sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely. Expand
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  9. Jul 15, 2013
    A solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, and Charlize Theron is always spot on with playing a villain role. It held my interest throughout and had an interesting storyline and concept, and peaked at the right times. Overall pretty impressive stuff and those that like the genre won't be disappointed. Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus starts you off with a beginning similar in mystery and wonder to that of the liking toward Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but on a much larger scale. Throughout the film, you are to encounter an amazing usage of set design and digital effects that are far beyond many other movies seen today. The excitement peaks multiple times throughout the movie with a creepy, dark science feeling in between. Prometheus isn't just your average Sci-Fi horror flick, but an outside and adventurous journey to an alien world where mistakes ARE catastrophic. Though it is within the Alien and Aliens universe, this movie could very well stand alone as it's own masterpiece. The environment of the movie is so controlled but, yet it is free from any enchained mind, making it just as chaotic, if not more perilous than the other films. Prometheus is a keen breed of new and heavy hitting Science fiction-Adventure films that are rare to find these days, making it one of the most unique and awesome pieces of cinema to date. Expand
  11. May 28, 2013
    This a great prequel to the Alien franchise! Sure hope that Ridley Scott's sequel to this is any better and we finally get to see our favorite killing machines!
  12. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2013
    A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
  15. Feb 3, 2013
    Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2013
    A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
  18. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  19. Jan 6, 2013
    I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
  20. Dec 7, 2012
    I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!
  21. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  23. Oct 26, 2012
    This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
  24. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  25. Oct 15, 2012
    Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
  26. Oct 7, 2012
    With no doubt an amazing piece of sci-fi. Could have been more sci and horror but having on mind that movies got to pay back for itself and cannot focus only on entertaining a small specific group of people I don't mind at all. Great directing, acting and truly one of a kind Giger's macabre biomechanic arts and design. Father of the genre returns and shows how it needs to be done.
  27. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superb!! One of the few movies in the past decade I've reflected on for hours. The best .. well, and worst... part of it is that you can't help people understand how great it is without devulging spoilers. I work with a lot of genius level people who didn't like it because they didn't get it. They didn't get it because their ability to reflect on the complexity of a film has been ruined by the fact that 99% of the films released today are dumbed down for the lazy crackhead generation.
    SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT ************************************
    ***********************************************************************
    To appreciate the movie you must realize that the Alien in the beginning sacrificed itself by ingesting a biomechanical nano paste. The nano paste took its physiology to create a new spawned race with a DNA derived from it's own body.. and we find out later that IT WAS ON PRE-HUMAN EARTH! Now... even better was the fact that much of the movie concerns the planet that they find and their inability to understand what it's purpose is. They realize eventually that it's a military base armed with ships that contain biological weapons. These weapons begin with bio-tech nanos to gather information about a host, so that the weapon can be tailored as a super effecient killer of that species, or host organism (think face eating squid). They find that earth is due to be the target of a ship holding the bio-weapon.. why.. because we're a FAILED EXPERIMENT! Now.. even bettter than THAT is the fact that the humans accidentally interfere with the host information gathering process of the bioweapon and the target host ends up being the Alien of the superior race that created it. Thus the eventual 'Aliens' brand, acid for blood brand killing machine! Fn WOW! Now go read Taantric's review again.. typical self absorbed simpleton who focuses so much on trying to sound intelligent that he accomplishes the opposite. Find some time to read more dude....
  28. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  29. Oct 1, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
  30. Sep 21, 2012
    A group of scientists discover a map that leads them to the place where they believe that we are the creators, but this trip will take them to a distant world, where they must fight to survive and to find out why they were created. Prometheus is not the masterpiece that everyone expected, but it certainly is the best science fiction film of the year (at least for me). Meanwhile, I have to say that for many points of view looks just like Alien (due to certain situations and scenes that do not tell you not to spoil) and really great actors including the best that surprised me most was Michael Fassbender in the role the droid. There are also excellent special effects very well made and also the extraordinary scenery. Especially good atmosphere of the film that is full of suspense and mystery. A movie to watch. Expand
  31. Sep 19, 2012
    "They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative criticism from fans and it just makes me laugh because I don't get what else they were expecting this film to be. So, it's a lot easier for me to say that this film proved to be much, much better than my expectations because I really wasn't expecting it to be good, or even great. Ridley Scott kept this film separate from previous Alien films and that is prodigious. He delivered it wonderfully and deliberately left so many questions unanswered to keep the viewers wondering and let their thoughts go beyond the imagination. The plot might seem a bit typical and predictable sometimes but it has been executed and incorporated in the direction in an amazing way that is really worth watching. Hats off to Scott's direction and Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts' writing. Production design is brilliant, and so is the cinematography. Visual effects are up to the par and seem really good and believable and somehow a bit genuine (especially those blue-ish blurry ones, they were really good). Outstanding performances by Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David and Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers. I liked Rapace's performance so much because of her little bit resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley and also because she continued to shine like she did as Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium series. Overall, it is a really great film, which gives you a wonderful experience. Expand
  32. Sep 5, 2012
    An incredible complement of the Alien's saga, which explains all the mysteries that the Alien universe lend us. A film that don't use a lot of digital effects but amazing sets, with an incredible performance of Michael Fassbender that musts win the Oscar this year. This film mixes the elegance and the science fiction in a perfect combination, showing again that this genre is capable to make true masterpieces. Expand
  33. Sep 5, 2012
    Fantastic film and a great return to science fiction from Ridley Scott however the film brings with it several flaws which is disappointing as the film has so much going for it from the performances to the stunning visuals one thing is for sure though is that the first hour is amazing and sets the tone perfectly.
  34. Aug 28, 2012
    This is one of the best science fiction movies I have ever seen! Visually stunning, mysterious, haunting and with an ambitious story, and all elements blend together perfectly. The greatest part however is that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of space for the audience to fill with their own fantasy instead of breastfeeding them. What a perfect movie!
  35. Aug 26, 2012
    A grand and brilliant spin-off to ALIEN, PROMETHEUS provides great performances and impressive visuals, it is also a must see for fans of the ALIEN series. I loved this movie.
  36. Aug 20, 2012
    This is the best film I have seen this year. It is a big heavy picture. The ship, planet and aliens have weight and texture. You can feel their footsteps and feel their sweat and pain. Noomi Rapace is fantastic as are all the supporting characters. Certainly, all questions are not answered at the end, but that's okay. If I see a better picture this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.
  37. Aug 19, 2012
    From the beginning of this movie where clues of an ancient civilization were found, to the ending where the prometheus space ship crashes into the other alien space ship, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. This is a movie you wouldn't want to miss.
  38. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  39. Aug 1, 2012
    Don't understand to people who rate low this movie. This is simple amazing, you can't move from your sit while you are watching this movie, and when it ends you have the feeling or the needing of more...
  40. Jul 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I thought of Prometheus (I wish I had the energy to write a full-length review), posted elsewhere: Well, I'll be the contrarian about Prometheus - I loved it. I thought the opening moments of the film were provocative and mysterious. I got what it meant but did it really mean what I thought it did? There are no answers in this film, though the lead female scientist (Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw) becomes dogged about getting some. We are left to come up with our own. It sort of combined the naivete and passion for exploration of the early episodes of Scott Bakula's Star Trek: Enterprise with an ever-growing sense of dread. The goofiness of Rapace and Marshall-Green as Elizabeth & Charlie, the "love you baby" science couple is the innocent/naive quotient. And the moment you meet David, the android who has a penchant for looking/sounding like Peter O'Toole, you know this can't end well, knowing the history of androids in the Alien films. But the best thing about the film, beyond being beautiful to look at (I did not see it in 3-D and it was gorgeous) and intriguing enough for me to shuffle through the hallways of my mind re the earlier films, was to take that "ET phone home" nonsense about our space seed fathers being benign, loving aliens and turning it 180. I take it that most of the criticism directed at the film is by fan boys (sorry, I know y'all are passionate folks) who wanted another "Alien" horror film. While there are some extremely tense scenes (it's rated R for a reason), this film is also grand and filled with wonder in the old-style sense of what science fiction films used to be. And that's what did it for me. I would have given it a 10 but shaving off 1 point for somewhat weak character development (particularly of the supporting variety). Expand
  41. Jul 15, 2012
    I had to make an account here when I saw all the negative reviews. To really understand the movie's subtle plot points, you have to be a fan of the Alien film series. First, the scientists taking off their helmets: these guys have just discovered the people who created them. They are really not thinking rationally, they just want to get answers, no matter the cost.
    The guy petting the
    alien snake: he was seriously stoned at the time. Seriously, he was smoking weed in his suit mere minutes before.
    The pod being designed for males: it was built specifically for Weyland. Putting it in Vickers' room was a cover.
    Shaw running minutes after surgery: it is clearly shown that she is in great pain while doing this, but she is managing to power through because she knows that if she doesn't , everything will go to hell. Add in that medical technology has significantly advanced in the future, and it makes sense.
    Vickers running forward from the ship instead of left or right: well, OK, that was a stupid move.
    Finally, the connection to Alien: the ships in the film were the same model, but not the same ship. The ship in Prometheus was carrying canisters of a black fluid to be used as a biological weapon. The fluid, when ingested, causes two things: it affects the host's mind and body negatively, and it causes a larva called a Trilobite to form. Dr. Holloway ingested the fluid, and while he was having sex with Shaw, the larva transferred itself from Holloway to Shaw. Shaw removes the Trilobite with the pod, and decontaminates it, putting it into a state of paralysis that she mistakes for death. Meanwhile, it grows to a huge size because it was designed to, being the product of a bioweapon. Once Shaw and the Engineer came to the shuttle it was trapped in, it broke out and facehugged the Engineer; the Trilobite is the ancestor of the Facehuggers. Once the Proto-Xenomorph bursts out (it looks different because it came from an Engineer), it presumably goes on to become the first Queen, spawning new Xenomorphs. This probably gained the attention of the other Engineers, who collected a bunch of eggs and put them in a ship to use as weapons. One of the eggs hatched, all hell broke loose, the ship crashed, and then the Nostromo found it in Alien.
    See, it makes sense if you use your brain a bit.
  42. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor flaws, this got to be one of the best recent movies from Ridley Scott and a good welcome-back for the director to the science-fiction genre. It felt like a big puzzle for me, each piece being shown during the movie and only in the end (with a very clear reference to one of his previous movies) it falls in place. There are a few details missing which I expect to see addressed in the sequel.
    The important things you must know about this movie:
    1- You have to pay close attention to the movie, otherwise you'll miss several links in the plot.
    2- There's a central theme on this movie which you can only recognise if you're well aware of what Evolution truly means.
    3- Not absolutely necessary to watch Alien trilogy, but I recommend it. Particularly the first movie.
  43. Jul 11, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movies of all time warrants a score in the mid-60s? Sorry, but that one is far too low. In a gripping tale of a 2001 - A Space Odyssey adventure, characters and cinematography meet in a great yarn about the source of life.

Admittedly, this is not original material. One can see monsters, android and space ship seat from Alien to the degree that one must ask if the
    owners of the rights to those movies either licensed their art or are preparing a suit against everyone involved in this movie unless they are all owed by the same people.

But the scenes continue to mark new territory as Ridley Scott certainly knows how to get under your skin and make the whole thing plausible. In the end, you leave happy to have spent your money, especially if seen in 3D iMax.

Highly recommended.
  44. Jul 11, 2012
    Prometheus, unlike what many say, is insanely awesome (especially in the effects department). It was one of the most 'fun' movies of this year so far to watch and is aesthetically pleasing in almost every aspect. Too add to that, Michael Fassbender kicked ass in the movie and whenever he was on screen the movie was always that much better. I recommend watching it as well as ignoring the mixed reviews about the movie because it willl be a fun and entertaining experience (plus its much better then spending your money on watching the amazing spiderman). Expand
  45. Jul 10, 2012
    Prometheus, the (almost) prequel to the Alien trilogy, is great. Damon Lindelof, co-creator, producer, and writer for Lost, wrote a great movie, really brought to life by the cast and Ridley Scott. Noomi Rapace is just FANTASTIC as Shaw, the protagonist, and the supporting cast does a great job too, including Michael Fassbender as the artificially maniacal David, Idris Elba as the womanizing and reassuringly sane Captain Janek, and Charlize Theron as the self-serving and all around b-word Meredith Vickers. While it may be a bit complex and convoluted at times, it is really enjoyable, and like Alien, has an edge-of-your-seat freakiness. Aside from the various excellent superhero offerings 2012 has to offer, Prometheus is this year's best Sci-fi flick yet. Expand
  46. Jul 10, 2012
    Best I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefs of our origin, our knowledge of the universe, and the ultimate questions of what reality even is. I cannot wait to see the sequels, which will have even more action and full scale warfare (like Alien vs Aliens). Loved it!! Expand
  47. Jul 9, 2012
    FANTASTIC! I was 7 when alien came out! I stayed deep in the country and there was nothing out there but dark starry nights. I loved STAR WARS, who didnt! It was sooo exciting and made me really believe thatthat there was something fantastic going on out there in space. Im no trekky,although I did and do love star trek. But when ALIEN came to the movies in my lil town it was the most talked about thing amongst the older kids. I had to see it cause I thought that I would be taken to fun exciting adventure.BOY WAS I WRONG! It seemed so real because the actors were normal people doing normal things. But it was dark and more scarier than my imagination has ever gone! The Alien was TRAUMATIZING! I couldnt sleep for 3 years! But when my cousins finally explained to me that by the alien being blown into space and space had killed it and that it wasnt gonna fall to earth I was ok. NOT! Then I started to wonder where did they come from and what was that other alien doing driving a space ship? Im 39 now and for all those years RIDLEY MADE MY DREAM COME TRUE! I just dont wanna have to wait 30 more yrs to REALLY KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!! Thank u for introducing them to me RID OLE BOY! U R TRULY A VISISIONARY! NO OTHER SPACE MOVIES HAVE EVER CAME CLOSE!!!!! Expand
  48. Jul 5, 2012
    A sublime sci-fi adventure ahead of its time. The only real fault with this film is not over-reaching, but reaching in too many directions all at once. A flawed gem, but a valiant step forward for the genre. Leaves many unanswered questions which will frustrate the impatient, but lays the foundation for a promising continuation of its own, which will captivate the imaginative.
  49. Jul 5, 2012
    This movie was excellent - I watched the alien series before watching Prometheus and I have to say this movie at least matched the tension of the first 2 alien movies. I have to warn you though, this movie is not for the weak of stomach - I completely understand if you hated this movie (I feel most love it or hate it). The last 3/4 of the movie are extremely tense throughout, with viewers constantly on the edge of their seats. And although the tension is what the movie rides on, the movie also poses some deeper philosophical questions about the origin and point of life. The acting was superb, especially Michael Fassbender's portrayal of an android, and the special effects were great. For the sci-fi genre, Prometheus is simply epic. Expand
  50. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requires some particular mythological knowledge, that of ancient Babylon, Zoroastrianism, and the Persian flavor of Gnostic Christianity called Manichaeism that was popular at the height of Rome. If you have read in these subjects, the meaning of the film is illuminated plainly. Prometheus is brilliant, unexpected, and nearly perfect in every aspect save one: accessibility. This film is a nut to crack. It is not Transformers or Battleship. It is art. And it is amazing. Expand
  51. Jul 2, 2012
    Loved it, left more questions than answers, despite formulaic sequencing from the original Alien and some heavy handed characterizations it was a great ride.
  52. Jul 1, 2012
    My review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters in 2 hours while still focusing on the main plot of the film. The rest of the crew is as expendable to the plot as they were to the weyland corperation who employed them. The main focus of the film, IMO, was to expand upon te mythology hinted at in the first alien film, while creating new questions as well. I don't see people complaining about the unanswered questions in Ridleys original alien film, so why all the complaints about "plot holes and unanswered questions" here? It seems pretty obvious that this Mbps intentionally created new questions aout the space jockey race, and expanded the universe, rather than just throwing a bunch of xenomorphs on screen and making an obvious alien prequel, which would have been a lot easier and certainly less risky from a creative standpoint. Another complaint I have seen is that the crew was "too dumb" to be scientists and that their behavior was absurd or not realistic in some way. Well guess what, humans are typically dumb, fearful, and weak. Just look at the history of our world and it becomes obvious. The plot wanted to emphasize that even though humans have developed and advanced in terms of technology, our minds are just as primitive as ever, which our creators, the space jockeys, definitely realized. Why should it be surprising that these people would behave irrationally when xonfronted with unknown species on a brand new planet? Some of the people criticizing the film seem to think that scientists are somehow super humans or something. Guess what, they are just ordinary people like you or I, who focused their time and energy on scientific pursuits, in this case they wanted to discover the origins of a species they believed to be the creators of mankind. I fail to see where the plot holes lie, why people expect 17 characters to be fully developed and focused on even though they are not integral to they key plot points, or how this film is any way close to a travesty like the star wars prequels. This did not conflict with alien in any way, it only expanded upon the universe presented there. The fact that the scientists decided to go on an expedition primarily based upon faith does not equal a plot hole. Since when does a scientist have to be a cold calculating machine based on hard facts? It seems obvious that they were meant to be complex characters with multiple beliefs and motives, just like people in the...wait for it...real world. The android of David is the opposite, as he serves his programming primarily, which reflects the inherit flaws on humanity which cause us to follow our beliefs and gut instincts, sometimes to our downfall. The film encapsulated these themes beautifully, all while expressing masterful special effects, beautiful cinematography, and an open ended ending whic leaves us with more questions wondering "whats next?" Rather than making a predictable alien prequel, Ridley Scott did so much more, and did not spoon feed the audience the answers we so desperately crave as the audience, and as humans. A lack of answers does not equal a plot hole, and this movie was a burst of fresh air in a world of predictable sequels remakes and overall unoriginal ideas. The fact that there is so much criticism for this movie baffles me, and I feel it truly deserves much more praise than it has received. Expand
  53. Jul 1, 2012
    Loved it so much. The scenes were beautiful specially in the beginning and I loved the aliens ship. The creatures were awesome. The acting was ok but Michael Fassbender was awesome. The 3D was just an extra.
  54. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are no jump-out scares (or any that comes out of the screen when watching the 3D version) but there is a hell lot of suspense! Expect blood and gore aplenty and some very disturbing images. Expand
  55. Jun 27, 2012
    Prometheus - A sci-fi, horror film that takes place in the universe of Ridley Scott's 1979 "Alien" franchise. A really well crafted and rich sci-fi universe, excellent cast and performances, along with a beautifully well written film makes Prometheus a must see for fans of the series and any real sci-fi and/or horror fan. Although this film is not a direct prequel that ties into the events of "Alien" - it does take place before the events of the first Alien movie. It also ends for intentions of a sequel, which might end up being the actual prequel that ties into the events of the first "Alien." Rather it will be or not, I'm really looking forward to another one of Ridley Scott's fantastic sci-fi, horror, works of art. Expand
  56. Jun 26, 2012
    Prometheus es una cinta verdaderamente facinante, y en el campo de la ciencia ficcion, una cinta legendaria de su tipo, ademas de tener un impresionante uso del 3D, quisa el mejor que haya visto en una pelicula, y señalo bien que no soy fanatico del 3D. Scott nos lleva en una viaje lleno de suspenso, accion y misterio, la forma en la que combina estos elementos para traernos asi uno de sus mas grandes logros hasta la fecha, independientemente de que se pueda tratar de una precuela de Alien o no, la pelicula toma su propia historia y trama con exito, Fassbender deslumbra en su actuacion, la mejor que he visto en el año, digna de una nominacion al premio de la academia por actor secundario. Ridley Scott ha hecho una pelicula deslumbrante, inteligente, y visualmente brillante. Expand
  57. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm not usually into Sci-Fi films, however, this film was the exception. Fantastic visual effects, intriguing storyline, and a philosophical twist to it. All the ingredients that make up a great film.
  58. Jun 23, 2012
    Wow, so many haters. This was the best movie I have seen in years. Epic acting, bloody, nasty scenes, and a very well structured story. I slept during most of the Avengers movie, but in this one i couldn't even blink. **** the haters.
  59. Jun 23, 2012
    Prometheus is one of the most beautiful and intriguing films I have come across in a long time. Reading some of the negative reviews on here, it appears that most of them just want the answer spoon fed to them and are unable to think for themselves. The amount of debate this film has raised is because of the lack of answers! The cast all perform incredibly well, with particular note going to Fassbender as David the android. As mentioned earlier the film looks absolutely stunning; I highly recommend a proper IMAX experience (Manchester's very good) for the full effect, with brilliant looking sets and wonderful creature design.

If you're a fan of the Alien series you might have a better idea of what's going on purely because the films are set in the same universe, but they're still far enough apart for anyone to appreciate Prometheus on its own merit but please don't go into the cinema expecting a horror film like alien, or an all out action movie like Aliens, its very different and you might appreciate it more if you go in without these preconceptions.

Overall I think Prometheus is a very unique film, we haven't seen something like this for some time and I hope it paves the way for more intelligent Sci-fi films in the near future.
  60. Jun 20, 2012
    Prometheus is haunting, beautiful, grotesque, exciting, thrilling, and suspenseful. It features incredible performances from Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and mostly Michael Fassbender. This is the best film of the year so far and probably the most thought provoking films in the past decade. I give this movie 97%.
  61. Jun 20, 2012
    I know I have put my money in a good place when, after seeing a piece of art, in this case Prometheus, I spend the following hours and days wondering, thinking, discussing and arguing about its meaning and symbols.
  62. Jun 20, 2012
    One of the best new films for me! Science fiction and movies should be like
    Prometheus and the director of the best directors honestly! Enjoy and when look at his movies of all shapes and kinds! thx Mr.Ridley Scott :)
  63. Jun 19, 2012
    The first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after was monumentally worse than the last. So forget everything you thought you knew about the aliens, again like the moronic queen.. As for plot holes, there are none if you have more than four working neuron in your head. Ridley doesn't explain anything. You will never see one character explaining some part of the movie to another character that does or should already know but is really explaining for the audiences benefit. Everyone complaining about plot holes probably would have loved it if the studio had forced Ridley to add a voice over like they did with the original Blade Runner. This movie is amazing! This is where Ridley would have taken this franchise, no queen alien, no cloning Ripley, and never an A vs P. Expand
  64. Jun 18, 2012
    Ambitious film making at it's finest! A lot of people will be sore over Prometheus. Everyone wants to say it's because of the weak script, the unanswered questions or erratic pacing but it will be because of expectations overall, do to it's Alien DNA. It has been said to be a stand alone film within the same universe as Alien and people just started comparing the two. Yes, the movie requires you to think a little harder than you usually would in a movie theatre but that's the whole point. As for all of the unanswered questions, for whatever reason, whether you need to come up with your own conclusions or Ridley Scott doesn't want to relinquish info that could possibly be in a sequel. Prometheus was a very guarded project, no one knew what to expect, so i'm just wondering why people are so upset at the fact that the movie didn't dumb itself down to revealing all it's secrets. That is my favorite aspect of the whole thing is that no matter how hard you try to answer the questions, another is lingering behind it. To me the pacing was just right, not going into this long process of introducing everything about it. The Sci-fi drama/thriller get right down to business and doesn't really hold back on any level viscerally or intellectually. There are not many film out there like Prometheus and it was a real treat to watch in IMAX. The entire premise was so carefully conceived i was in utter awe during most of the it, due to the amazing atmosphere, grand ideas, and pitch perfect performances(props to Fassbender on his eerily superb David) but the Noomi Repace takes the cake. The caesarean scene was by far one of the most intense things i have sat through during a movie, almost to the point where it was terrifyingly unbearable to watch. It was a fantastic experience that I wont soon forget and hopefully if were lucky, it's not over. People can be mad all they want but the entire crew has created something really amazing and the film simply strives to be more.

My advise to all the disappointed people would be to see it again. The second time I went, i immediately fell in love with Prometheus.
  65. Jun 18, 2012
    Wow, is this film gorgeous to look at. Probably the best 3D I have seen as well. I was NEVER bored during the movie and the time went by quickly. I have never seen any scary film that didn't have people doing illogical things (including the earlier Alien films) and this film is no different, but I was still entertained throughout. If you think about it, if these scientists really behaved like scientists the movie would be boring. I really appreciated that the scary scenes didn't drag on and on and on and it didn't have any scenes where the bad guy just doesn't die, even when he should be dead (I HATE that). The CGI is flawless throughout. Personally, I think this film is a classic. I was still thinking about it the next day after seeing it. If this film doesn't win every Oscar for visual effects it will be a crime. Expand
  66. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  67. Jun 18, 2012
    How could Avatar have better reviews than Prometheus? Avatar was a live action version of Furn Gully with cheesy ass blue glowing people, a **** script, boring acting, and a story that was so thin that you could predict its ending after 5 minutes of watching it. Prometheus on the other hand had an unpredictable plot, with interesting characters, good acting, and the best visuals I have ever seen. Prometheus is by no means a perfect film, but for the science fiction horror genre it belongs up there with Alien, Pandorum, The Thing, and Event Horizon. Cant wait for the sequel, and the return of Noomi Repace. Expand
  68. Jun 17, 2012
    This film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But the theme is used throughout the film and brilliantly that is. In the depths of space and terror, this theme really helped pull me back to the comfort of home or Earth and this sort of 'journey' and experience what really knocked this film out of the ballpark for me. As well, the basic concept of this film is an extremely difficult subject matter to approach. The origins of mankind are obviously so mind bending that no human will ever truly know. Yet Ridley Scott took a stab and this film and it's philosophies are just spectacular and in the end highly entertaining with lots of thinking. The bad: the scene where those 2 scientists meet their demise with the"water snake" was really too silly for this film's caliber. Otherwise, loved every moment of the film and looking forward to watching it again hopefully soon. Expand
  69. Jun 17, 2012
    The greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up against all odds; but Scott did justice to the film, the franchise, all while entertaining. There are many unanswered questions but Scott did this intentionally to make the viewers think - it was done right and made me appreciate the film even more. You also need to have watched Alien to truly appreciate this film. The one and only draw back of Prometheus is the crew - i.e a mission into space of this caliber and of historical importance would require a team of top professionals, no less. Very much not in this case, but the character David stole the spot light - just spectacular character building. I do hope there will be a director's cut to give more insight into the film - there is easily 30 min of story telling that would make this film even more complete. I saw this in regular 3D and now plan to see it again but in IMAX 3D. The visuals and the cinematography are simply jaw dropping. I truly hope that an IMAX version comes out on blu-ray. I normally don't anticipate bluray releases, but for Prometheus I can barely wait....really can't wait!!! Expand
  70. Jun 17, 2012
    This is the whole ball of wax--action, danger, horror, and the fascination of the unknown. Faster than the original Alien--which is one of my all-time favorites--and more challenging, more thought provoking. An android of immense subtlety and power, both mental and physical, acted with great skill. A powerful heroine. Superb 3D and CGI. And, one more thing! If you can't "figure out what was going on" you're not trying: I thought of a plausible fact-matching explanation for every uncertainty in the movie within ten minutes of leaving the theater! That's doesn't mean I've stopped thinking for better explanations--it's that much fun. Just question your assumptions, and all of a sudden the possibilities will start falling into place. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2012
    this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes. people didn't read watchmen and say 'stupid book about spandex wearers' no, it was much more than that. Scott just doesn't give you everything, and that's what i believe he intended too do.

however. if you are your general b-movie watcher, you will absolutely hate this film. it has practically been created for alien fanboys, and philosophers. if you have no idea of the alien franchise, and have a low IQ.. this film will definitely not be for you. This is almost Scott's way of saying thank you too the fans.

also from an ignorant angle, the effects were **** awesome.
    however, there
  72. Jun 16, 2012
    Raw, intriguing, everything I loved it all! was magnificent, thrilling, praise the assembly work, special effects and cinematography. I'm a fan of this movie Alien and revealed some doubts, but created more and I like that a movie leaves you wanting to nurse a sequel.
  73. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) -
    Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  74. Jun 15, 2012
    Unanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so it was stupid" comments. Not every movie is meant for every audience member and I do understand that, but a true fan of the series might want to do a little research before stewing out bile. Don't understand the beginning scene, the motivations of the characters, or how intense terror can cause someone to act irrationally? Try finding an answer! The fact that every writer must dumb down their vision to spoon feed the masses is outrageous. the "From Clay to Fire" thesis was a great read and gave but one explanation to the events that unfold in Prometheus. When dealing with a dead race there are always questions...to this day many arguments exist on a wide range of subjects about long dead cultures here on earth. To think one movie should unravel the mysteries of the universe and spread it paper-thin for all to behold is asking a bit much even for Hollywood. Prometheus gave us a brief glimpse into man's eternal struggle to craft god into our own image and I, for one, was grateful for the experience. Expand
  75. Jun 15, 2012
    I thought this was a brilliant movie. Great acting, intriguing and original story line and stunning visuals. I'm quite surprised it's copped a lot of flack
  76. Jun 14, 2012
    If you want to watch Alien, go watch it! If you want to watch something new then stay around for Prometheus. This sci-fi story of finding our creator is beautiful. It is deep and at times to philosophical for some, but if you listen to the last line of Weyland than you can understand the scope of the journey. I really enjoyed it and the action scenes are intense. GO watch it.
  77. Jun 14, 2012
    I saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender's role as David because he's more like a arrogant and sometimes humble gentleman, but he's more of a robot-like clone from "I. Robot." But the height and sounds of the movie gives you enough adrenaline, your heart pumps, and your feet is shaking as you go into a terrifying and explorational feeling you might can expect from both James Cameron and Ridley Scott. I've heard Prometheus is gonna be out on Blu-Ray sometime in the fall of 2012, but I'll save my money. From now on, I have to see this again. Expand
  78. Jun 14, 2012
    I usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if I were to criticize them. That being said the WOW factor of Prometheus is undeniable. Too ambitious for its length of two hours it did seem disjointed and confusing for those unacquainted with the Alien films. Full of philosophy and homages to other films (the Alien series obviously, but also to 2001, the Thing remake etc) it had me absorbed during and ruminating after viewing. I kept the criticisms in the back of my mind while watching and let the director do his thing and thoroughly enjoyed where he took me. Obviously there were compromises in the production of the film probably foisted on him by the studio (most notably running time constraints) that prevented him from plot and character development (who knows what wound up on the cutting room floor), but for a sci-fi fan there really is no disappointment in this film. Leave the overthinking till after the movie's over. Prometheus IS a worthy prequel but probably will not be considered a classic sci-fi stand alone film. It should be viewed by all sci-fi fans in the theater. and judged on its merits, not its deficiencies. If you have an open mind it won't disappoint. Lets see what comes out on the extended/directors version blu-ray release. Expand
  79. Jun 14, 2012
    The movie would never be as good as my expectation level for it, but I really enjoyed it. Imax 3D was brilliant. Visually the movie is stunning. It feels like it could have used 15-20 more minutes for character developement,more suspense, and I just wanted more. Like an episode of Lost, it creates more questions than answers given,but I think thats why they hired Lindelof to rewrite Spaihts script. A good film that could have been better is what i get out of it. It has a lot of Alien type scenes recreated but they lack the suspense and dread that the 1st film had. I also dont understand putting music in all the scenes where it should be silent or ambient sounds to create some of that mood that is missing. A sequel should be interesting! 9/10 stars Expand
  80. Jun 13, 2012
    Ridley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults you will have yourself one helluva gorgeous thrill-ride. Expand
  81. Jun 13, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    The script jumps whole sections ahead and back. True. The characters behaved nonsensical and were flat. True. However; the story does answer a lot of questions ; where do the aliens come from, who are the giger corpses in the crashed ship, why is wayland so horny to exploit it. Albeit chaotic, it has excellent pacing.
    Theres not much suspense, but it mixes mystery exploration with nastiness. I didnt even know who the protagonists actually were until half the way through. Which in times of utter plot predictability is a welcome variation. The main characters are a christian fanatic and a "i wear flipflops while sipping my latte in this space ship" douche who was so stereotypically hipster that ridley scott must have made intentional statement on his hatred for apple stores and starbucks. I couldnt wait for them to die, and my sympathies were with the evil charlize theron all along. Fantastic! A movie that destroys classic plot structures so profoundly and still gets away with it is a true innovation for mainstream hollywood in my book. The story jumps a little too harshly here and there, and some characters are propably supposed to be 80ies cheese stereotypes as a hommage, but too flat in the end. But the visuals are fantastic and the pacing works. Its not an intelligent movie as the questions about the origins of humanity (aliens vs god) is overdone and shallow in itself, but the movie is not supposed to be 2001 anyways. As a plot framework its sufficient. All in all quite unpredictable and quirky, a true experience. I felt thoroughly brain raped. And thats a compliment. Expand
  82. Jun 13, 2012
    **Possible spoiler but maybe not really, but so was the trailer*** What were you expecting? True lies? Half life? Transformers? Alien 5? Care Bears in Space? This is not a remake, nor a direct prequel. I expected the movie to be mysterious and interesting and completely unknown excpect for the fact that it was set before the event of Alien, in which universe i expected it to set. I'm so glad that Peter mother-fukking Cullen didn't do a narration with Optimus Prime explaining the time before time (although he's very talented, would be completely out of place in this movie - despite many half-wit viewers needing such hand-holding). Prometheus is, what i believe, to be the first of several Alien stories that prelude the original movie. This is not another alien or mission to mars story, it's THE Alien story. Pay close attention to everything within this movie. Is this a review section or an explanation message board? So there are a few stupid moments, namely the biologist looking for a root with the alien worm. It could have happened another way with different dialogue but the premise would still be the same: two guys messing about in the egg chamber and that's how they got infected. Remember the beginning, how the Alien started out, as a virus. It could have been a military experiment gone wrong or just with serious containment issues. Maybe the "Engineer" in the pod wasn't really human, maybe not. Was he there to await the scientist and determine their nature if hostile? Most people reviewing this movie giving it low scores didn't actually understand the movie, that it was a science fiction STORY, not a face paced action thriller with all guns blazing. They already made that movie, it's called Aliens or Tron. Sometimes it's like working with children, you take as many shots as you can get in the time frame available, and take the best one. This movie is, like the original Alien and subsequent movies, about a monolithic Corporation using young college graduates to explore and secure an alien world so that the mission specific andriod - played perfectly my Micheal Fassbander - can recover the specimen for what ever military/scientific/monetary purposes back on Earth. It's fairly obvious there will be movies that follow this one, that may answer some questions from this film. This movie is great, fantastic, amazing, deep, and thought provoking. In the book of the original, the SOS distress signal coming from the planet was not an SOS, but a warning. This movie is also set in a fictional future, where completely new attitudes and technology exist. Just like any other movie, go see it twice because you get more out of it the second time. Prometheus is what it is and what it is, is not perfect, but perfect enough for a very entertaining movie. And just so you know, it's based on a true story of actual events! Expand
  83. Jun 12, 2012
    All I want to say is that most of these negative reviews really didn't absorb what this movie is. It's very complex, and in no way did I think for a moment that this movie was trying to be like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious here, but the movie does NOT deserve this low of a score, with millions of meat heads going straight to metacritic for spoonfed
    interpretations by movie critics that take away any sense of imagination and insight.
    Think of it this way, when Fight Club first came out, it got ripped to shreds by movie critics...after a few years for it to sink in and now it's a classic.

This movie gets a 10 from me. I went in, just to enjoy the ride, and I wasn't bored for a minute.
  84. Jun 12, 2012
    A truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as the android David, and added a great mystique to the character who was already fascinating in the script. Noomi Rapace was fantastic as Elisabeth Shaw. A character who was kick-a$$, but in a very believable way. A magnificent example of a "strong female lead". Any flack the film may receive concerning the crew making "stupid mistakes" is unjustified. Considering humans have never encountered anything remotely close to what the characters in the film come into contact with, it's safe to assume that the same mistakes could be made my any real human being. Point being, the characters were believable, and made choices and mistakes real humans might also make. If you are at all a fan of the Alien universe or good cinema you will love this film. However, if you are expecting a Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers or a token horror film, this film is not for you. Overall Prometheus is a brilliant film and a worthy revival of the Alien universe. Expand
  85. Jun 12, 2012
    I thought this movie had a really good story, great special effects, inspiring movie score, fantastic cinematography, creative creature design, and scary moments that were actually scary. I enjoyed every minute of it, however... the execution was off. The story had plot holes and the transition between scenes were awkward. Now, I know Ridley Scott has a tendency to make very long movies that are very difficult to edit for theatrical release. For example, his film Kingdom of Heaven suffered the same problem and it ruined the movie, but then the directors cut showed us the full version and everything flowed perfectly. I will give Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt until I see the full version. The movie wasn't flawless do to some poor acting and lack of great characters, so I'm going with a 9. If I see the full version of this film, and it still has those plot holes or transition problems, then I will downgrade to an 8. I think everyone was expecting perfection, and we didn't get it, so the disappointment is resulting in lower user scores than it actually deserves. Expand
  86. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    This is a visually spectacular film and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a while. I think people that complain that it isn't 'like Alien' just aren't paying attention, and anyways, why would you want Scott to just remake something entirely the same. This is set in the same universe, but tells a different story. There are some weaknesses, such as some of the character development, but then again, the original Alien didn't give us a lot in that regard - perhaps it's more noticeable here due to how much it is trying to show. As for unanswered questions - I have answers for each one, they might not be the "Right" answers, but it's what I'll choose to take away from the film, and as a real sci-fi fan, I love that. I usually hate 3D films, but this was gorgeous, and so smooth, even better than Avatar. Not a perfect film, but a real quality science fiction film for fans of the genre. I sincerely hope something else will follow this film! Expand
  87. Jun 11, 2012
    It was an epic movie. Beautiful, and MUCH more insightful as to what's going on. Not just "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, KILLER ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!", it's taken a great leap into story depth. Ridley Scott is da man.
  88. Jun 11, 2012
    Great movie. The Alien genie has been out of the bottle for years. It was natural to explore the space jockey in this one. This is a mature movie with real thought provoking questions in it. More of a journey more than a destination.
  89. Jun 11, 2012
    I normally don't give out a perfect 10 but this movie deserves even more than that. I was a little upset when i (SPOILER ALERT) heard that no actual franchised "Alien" would be in it, but what they did was even better than i could have ever expected. It's great to get a true director like Scott back in the directors chair. My body was actually getting sore from being in an intense state. I loved every single second of the movie and i can't wait to see it again. If you want to spend 2 hours in absolute intensity then go see Prometheus! Expand
  90. Jun 11, 2012
    just saw prometheus, don't believe the reviews it was great but it differed from the core ideas of alien and that's what is throwing some people off

it was more of a dramatic sci-fi film like say, 2001 (although not as meaningful or cryptic) that tied up a few loose ends provided by alien (but not all of them, it was set on a different planet after all)

it explained the space jockey, the
    birth of the alien race and it set up a rough idea for how the events of alien were set up

a lot of the characters weren't quite up to the gritty, rough and really "human" ones shown in alien and aliens, but michael fassbender was amazing as david and the way he interacted with people along with a good steady progression of plot points and information given really made this film

the effects were really neat, although as I've said numerous times before I hate 3D for the stupid gimmick it is even when it's used to its fullest potential (see like, avatar, I suppose) but in this it was really inappropriate and there were only a few moments were I was even aware it was in 3D

overall: don't expect a film that captures the same feel of alien, because that's not what it's trying to be, but the characters and good story really make it worth seeing
  91. Jun 11, 2012
    Is this an Alien prequel?: yes, definitely! Does it answer all of your questions?: about 70%, some stuff is still unexplained. As this is a Ridley Scott film it surely looks VERY nice, super hi-tech production design and very sleek VFX. I watched it in 3D but you can skip that coz it doesn't add much. I had incredibly high expectations for this film and they are mostly met. The basic ideas from Alien are carried over and expanded from Alien 1. You don't actualy need to have seen any of the Alien movies to appreciate it as the story works on it's own. If you are a fan of Alien or have appreciated any of the Alien movies I would highly recommend seeing this film, you won't regret it! Expand
  92. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I like to say that this movie is not like Alien or even Aliens. The cinematography is outstanding and the 3D brings it out even more. I would recommend 2D and just imagine how it looks in 3D.

Yes it is a prequel and here is a question to everyone. Don't you believe there will always be unanswered questions to the origins of human life? This movie is meant about to reflect your own ideals about how we came on Earth. This is probably a spoiler but during the movie Noomi's character was tested about her own beliefs with God even to the point that they accused her of abandoning her own belief. Her cross was taken during the movie due to her Medical attention and at the end of the movie she got her cross back from the android David. She was offer to go back to Earth but she still wanted to seek out the questions on why and how these Aliens came to Earth and created humans.

There are bits of other stuff in this movie that are related to the Alien movies. The thing that came out of Noomi's character would be the face hugger, the Alien that came out of the chest would be the chest burster and the space jockey/engineer are part of the relationship to the other Alien films.

Wonderful movie but not for everyone.
  93. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow. Can not believe all the negative reviews. It might be spaam on here honestly. This movie was amazing! the directing, the acting, the visuals, the sounds, the intense scenes, the premise of the film were all fantastic.
  94. Jun 11, 2012
    Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Sagan, Hawking) Scott brings to his tale of divine origin a host of ideals and threats. Is life the survival of the fittest or the survival of the brightest, and/or is life about faith and discovery of self and the universe? Does science buy immortality or at the least the keys to immortality or does faith unlock the secrets of immortality? Without question, the scientists and philosophers' of the enlightenment pepper the script and Scott's movie reflects his remorse that contemporary philosophers are so rare - yet Jarad Diamond, "Gun, Germs and Steel" emerges reflecting that the true enemy of mankind is not one another but bacteria and viruses or even what is hidden in the subatomic mists. Blending the constructs of religion versus faith by introducing a Voltaire element of "Candide" into the script - Scott continues to utilize the great moments of sci-fi by replicating the primordial ooze of life similar to Clark's short story. The protagonist, Shaw, played by Naomi Rapace, is without question the Eve Gene - a truth seeker, scientist and adventurer who will challenge the boundaries of science and faith with her desire to find the land of the divine, man's creators. The glue that binds the above elements together is Hawking "Grand Design" - that divinity resides in the universe and life itself. The question; will it be a singular entity, tight and congruent like a Kantian model or is life in constant need of repair? Scott and his writing team - Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof - incorporates the best of the best in grand celluliod tradition and example, touching on the intellectual dominance of the sci-fi genre of Bradbury, Asimov, Clark, Herbert with a blend of sci-fi fantasy that includes the eternal battle between good and evil, negative and positive polarity, matter and antimatter. At the same time, Scott tickles his audience with images of great moments in Sci-Fi movies - the slimy snake like creatures that are parasites (Star Gates Gao'ld), Van Danikens (Chariots of the Gods) reflecting a race of superior aliens in archeological stone, David = Hal the computer of Kubrick's 2001, and often tongue in cheek moments of Scott's own trilogy Aliens (Ash resembles David or is David really the "Lawrence of Arabia of other worlds"?) or the moral debate when Shaw removes the parasite from her body conflicts with Ripley who birthed and destroyed the hominid-alien link of DNA cross breeding.

Of course, any intelligent critic will see the next movie - the sequel - and the leap from current theoretical debate to Hawking's "Grand Design". And in doing so - will Ripley look the lens "darkly" or give his audience a tiny picture into the Divine? This movie is not for the banal or the horror advocate - it is a movie where Scott, in all integrity, uses art to mirror society. So will his intellectual critics condemn or praise Scott's vision? Will it become a provocative movie (similar to Kubrick's 2001) that will mirror current theory of our origin and the struggle to survive? What is life, where did it begin, is it Divine or Darwinism, or a combination of both or neither - and is life governed by good or evil, negative and positive, or is brith itself the singular event of life?

It is a big movie, a big challenge. I think for the most part Scott has succeeded. The challnege will be his sequel - the dynamics of the main plotting. I, for one, will be to see the results of Scott's vision. "f he is successful, he will join the ranks of enlighten men and women.
  95. Jun 10, 2012
    Prometheus stood on its own entirely. It was still a classical sci-fi film and had its action/thriller/horror aspects like the Alien movies, but in terms of its message and overall meaning, it was its own entity, and I thought was absolutely brilliant. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, never a dull moment. Plus I saw it in IMAX 3D (and the 3D was surprisingly good and not distracting), which made it a billion times more epic. Personally, I hope that the sequel tries to stay away from the Alien movies. I like the idea of Prometheus by itself, and the fact that Ridley Scott threw in that last scene made the movie a little less climactic. Yes, I definitely agree that this film gives new hope to the sci-fi genre. There were definitely some parts that were a little cliche, but overall it was fresh and absolutely thrilling. No idea why Madagascar 3 beat this at the box office this weekend. I may have to kill myself. Collapse
  96. Jun 10, 2012
    If one can't keep up with the subtext of what's going on in the film, they are going to come away completely disappointed and confused by Prometheus. If you have the chops to hang in there, though, the film is a fantastic, and important, exploration into the nature of human existence. Make no mistake, the monsters and horror of this film exist SOLELY to support the existential quest that is the root of the story. If you are expecting a film about aliens who kill people, you won't be satisfied. (Even if aliens to spectacularly kill people) Expand
  97. Jun 10, 2012
    It has all the trademarks of an Alien movie while combining science and religion in the search for the origins of human kind and the discovery of the possible end to life on earth. Scott uses great cinematography with intense horror to bring the story to life.
  98. D6M
    Jun 10, 2012
    While this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in the time line between Prometheus and Alien(it would seriously take 2-3 sentences of narrative to bridge everything together...but sequel maybe?), the movie exceeded my expectations; between its amazing cinematography/visuals and convincing acting, this crazy story somehow becomes believable.
    This is far from a bad movie and the 3D version by far had the best 3D I've experienced yet(no obvious scenes with way too many people at too many varying distances or stuff flying towards my face). To wrap things up, this is a great movie that is well worth seeing on the big screen in 3D, even though it has some faults, they aren't that detrimental to the film itself, but rather it's continuity between it and it's current sequel Alien.
  99. Jun 10, 2012
    This is for sure the best movie of 2012 I have seen so far, Sci fi movies are of my favorites, I also loved Alien I also liked this one but not that much as alien, but still awesome

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.