6.5

1. Jun 8, 2012
    Stop reading reviews and go see it. You'll spoil it for yourself and the internet hipsters will screw with your perception of a film that's sure to go down in history as a masterpiece. GO.
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    This is the best film I have seen this year. It is a big heavy picture. The ship, planet and aliens have weight and texture. You can feel their footsteps and feel their sweat and pain. Noomi Rapace is fantastic as are all the supporting characters. Certainly, all questions are not answered at the end, but that's okay. If I see a better picture this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    From the beginning of this movie where clues of an ancient civilization were found, to the ending where the prometheus space ship crashes into the other alien space ship, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. This is a movie you wouldn't want to miss.
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    Let me start this up by saying I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. The machinery of the Hollywood distribution business has fallen into the repetitive practice of hipping up product that sinks itself within five minutes of opening, unable to support the almost god-like audience expectations. And Prometheus is no foreigner to the fabricated Hollywood momentum. To say thereLet me start this up by saying I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. The machinery of the Hollywood distribution business has fallen into the repetitive practice of hipping up product that sinks itself within five minutes of opening, unable to support the almost god-like audience expectations. And Prometheus is no foreigner to the fabricated Hollywood momentum. To say there has been a lot of anticipation built up around Ridley Scott's latest cinematic dream is an understatement.
    It seems Hollywood finally got it right. We no longer have to drone ourselves to the theater and laugh off what the ads were claiming would be fantastic and is actually born to mediocrity. We can expect a movie to be as good as it's expected, and in fact, even better. Much much better.
    I attended the midnight screening late Thursday night and the energy in that place was amazing. This is what story telling is about. The human need for the discovery of an incredible story is well alive. It bonds us all. Gives us a reason to dream and fight for what we want. The illusion is the flame.
    The screenplay felt flawless. It would have been so easy to make this another fare in Alien combat. Us running around helpless with useless weapons. Them chasing us effortlessly. The pretty girl screaming on the side. I think other filmmakers did that once or twice.
    Not John Spaihts and Damon Lindelof. These two delved deep into humanity's unanswerable questions. Who are our Gods? Why? Where? And what is to say of the father-sibling complex? Are our parents like Gods to us? Gods of flesh that have guided us to where we are? Or are they simple humans we must be rid of in order to proclaim ourselves as masters of our own insignificant universe? This and much more is all tucked away behind the perfectly stylized curtains of Ridley Scott's science fiction world.
    The movie feels right down fascinating. Reminiscent of that first Alien film. Those early shots way before the egg was revealed. Even the opening shots inside a dormant Nostromo. Remember those? How haunting? How intriguing? Ridley's hand is still very much present here. At its best shape. I simply couldn't get my eyes off that screen. Fascinating. Even the 3D element played well into it. I thought this might turn into another "let's poke the audience in the eye" kind of trip, but instead it felt like an immersive experience. I almost forgot I was in a movie theatre at times.
    Dramatically. The acting was phenomenal. Nothing that required exaggerated exuberance. Acting is mostly an art that goes unnoticed because of its sincerity. So real that we don't question it. A simple matter of fact. This film required that kind of delivery. The kind of dramatic honesty that allows the screenplay to unfold itself effortlessly.
    I will close this by pointing out that I wasn't particularly scared this time around. I recall being horrified the first time the Alien burst out of Kane's chest back in the day. Although, Prometheus doesn't seem to be a product of the horror genre. Suspenseful and though provoking are more along the line of the goals this motion picture attempts to deliver, and does masterfully.
  5. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rather than explicitly deliver the plot to the viewer in tight punchlines, this movie flows from one rich template to the next...and the plot unfolds without pausing for the laugh track. When its over, you are left with the intriguing question: why do these Romanesque demi-gods who've engineered themselves into perfect physical specimens...and who've engineered the development of a mirror species (us), why on earth do they design this biological weapon to destroy mankind (their own creation) approximately 100 years after the crucifixion?

What are the parallels between them, human civilization, our destruction, and they symbol of Rapace's crucifix? Could Ridley Scott be tying everything together? Could earth be an outpost for their empire...and when our civilization chose something other than the regimented slave-system of the Roman Empire, this did not fit into their plans for a new colony?

There are a billion intriguing ideas, and only a few clues...

One of the best movies in years, IMO, and even if it is not widely praised, I think it will have a spot on many "best sci-fi movie" lists for a long, long time.
  6. Jun 17, 2012
    This film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But theThis film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But the theme is used throughout the film and brilliantly that is. In the depths of space and terror, this theme really helped pull me back to the comfort of home or Earth and this sort of 'journey' and experience what really knocked this film out of the ballpark for me. As well, the basic concept of this film is an extremely difficult subject matter to approach. The origins of mankind are obviously so mind bending that no human will ever truly know. Yet Ridley Scott took a stab and this film and it's philosophies are just spectacular and in the end highly entertaining with lots of thinking. The bad: the scene where those 2 scientists meet their demise with the"water snake" was really too silly for this film's caliber. Otherwise, loved every moment of the film and looking forward to watching it again hopefully soon. Expand
  7. Jun 17, 2012
    The greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up againstThe greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up against all odds; but Scott did justice to the film, the franchise, all while entertaining. There are many unanswered questions but Scott did this intentionally to make the viewers think - it was done right and made me appreciate the film even more. You also need to have watched Alien to truly appreciate this film. The one and only draw back of Prometheus is the crew - i.e a mission into space of this caliber and of historical importance would require a team of top professionals, no less. Very much not in this case, but the character David stole the spot light - just spectacular character building. I do hope there will be a director's cut to give more insight into the film - there is easily 30 min of story telling that would make this film even more complete. I saw this in regular 3D and now plan to see it again but in IMAX 3D. The visuals and the cinematography are simply jaw dropping. I truly hope that an IMAX version comes out on blu-ray. I normally don't anticipate bluray releases, but for Prometheus I can barely wait....really can't wait!!! Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Truly EPIC. This is one of those films that I wished so badly that I was part of the Prometheus crew. Reminds me of when I was young when I wished I was a part of the lord of the rings and star wars universe. It's a strange feeling. But watch it NOW, in cinemas in 3D: 3D is really good like Avatar!!
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus was what I expected.. Great nostalgic sci-fi movie! Directing and visual effects are fabulous, plot itself is interesting, personally I'm very curious about how life began on earth/universe. I'm doubtful that first scene of Prometheus is the real answer, but it pleases me. Very good film and wanted part for Alien franchise. I want sequel!
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    The scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people reviewThe scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people review movies as what the movie set out to be. If an action movie is a good action movie, they give it a good review because it's a good action movie, not because it's a good movie. Prometheus, however, is a stunning Sci-Fi flick, an excellent horror film, and one of the best thrillers I think I've ever seen. I saw it at the midnight IMAX 3D premiere, and. was. STUNNED. Even though I saw it at what is considered a "LieMax" theater (google it), the sound was absolutely incredible! If you are a fan of Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, or Action Movies, I promise you'll love this. You'll also love it as an Alien fan, due to the countless tie-ins. This movie makes you question some of the events in it (in a good way) and think about life in general. AMAZING performances by Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron. 10/10 due to the fact that it was a great movie and gave a very satisfying release to my 1+ year anticipation for the film. Expand
  11. VTx
    Jun 8, 2012
    People always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien fromPeople always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien from "aliens movies" and is a new specie who knows.
    Maybe in the second movie the producers and writers will give us some answers when Shaw kill them, I bet s going to be more thriller.
  12. Jun 8, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien.Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien. Guillermo del Toro tries for years to get a deal together to film At the Mountains of Madness, and here comes Scott and Co., grafting the story onto an Alien prequel, and beats him to the punch. The only significant difference is that the Old Ones are humanoid. I don't really object to recycling old stories for new applications that way, I just wish filmmakers would quit pretending that none of us out here read. Expand
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    I truly loved this movie. It's a GREAT space epic. Here's why I like it. It called into question and brought great purpose to the great questions of all time. Why are we here, who made us, what's our purpose. I love those ideas mixed with the space epic setting. It was however, not as amazing as I'd hoped because I had set my standards so high. BUT in all reality, its one of the best filmsI truly loved this movie. It's a GREAT space epic. Here's why I like it. It called into question and brought great purpose to the great questions of all time. Why are we here, who made us, what's our purpose. I love those ideas mixed with the space epic setting. It was however, not as amazing as I'd hoped because I had set my standards so high. BUT in all reality, its one of the best films of the summer. GREAT subtext, amazing layers, all mixed with some awesome anthropology / ancient Egyptian religious undertones. Calls the hero to faith, and delivers. If you have not seen it, just please, go see it. Its better than ANYTHING else out right now (6-8-12) Expand
  14. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this movie was excellent! It is a great science fiction movie that blends Ancient Alien theories and current biotechnology concerns. Some parts of the plot are left open to interpretation, and viewers who wish to have closure in their films might not enjoy that particular feature. I had high expectations for many months before seeing this film. I followed some fan sites that leaked parts of the movie, and was disappointed with what I read there. However, the delivery and screen adaptation of those ideas were excellent. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2012
    It has all the trademarks of an Alien movie while combining science and religion in the search for the origins of human kind and the discovery of the possible end to life on earth. Scott uses great cinematography with intense horror to bring the story to life.
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    This film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there wereThis film was not quite a 10 but I will give it that anyway because it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in some time. Many of the complaints against it are somewhat justified but for the most part it is just people who were over expectant and self entitled ("I want my money back.") I personally hope that Lindelhof does not return to pen another script as there were moments that clearly needed more definition. That said, Prometheus truly sets the stage for what could be a remarkable series of films, explaining the evolution of humans and aliens as a sort of binary weapons program. If you just want another Alien movie, don't waste your time. If you enjoy incredible CG, interesting philosophical quandaries and a couple freaky monsters it is well worth a few bucks. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    Fantastic visuals. Great acting. Doesnt answer the main questions it ask but whos to say it had to? One of the best Sci-fi movies in a LONG time. Best IMAX movie ive ever seen!
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was dragged to cinema the other day and since I was dragged there I was told I can choose what we watch. I chose Prometheus, I saw the advert a few days before and thought it looked alright, so we went in (having to sit row) and I molded myself to my seat ready for a what I expected to be a mediocre sci-fi film. I was utterly mistaken, for me Prometheus is one of the best films I have seen all year. It was thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable, the film did provide a few parts that made me jump and a few parts that where extremely gory and gritty (including a cesarean to remove an alien baby). The characters where great, especially Micheal Fassbender's character, David, an android with intense loyalty to his creator. It was fantastic to see how the different characters from different backgrounds react to meeting there creators, it ended with everyone dead but two characters, one of whom was missing his body. It was defiantly a great film and I would thoroughly recommend it to any cinema goers. My favorite film of the year. Expand
  19. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  20. Jun 9, 2012
    I give this movie a 96% and I could write this review and explain why (the perfect acting, the amazing special effects, and the incredibly gripping story), but you can read all about those things in the other 9 or 10 reviews. I'll be taking time to explain why this movie got extremely mixed reviews. Simply put, a large quantity of people only enjoy movies that have the plot-line spoon-fedI give this movie a 96% and I could write this review and explain why (the perfect acting, the amazing special effects, and the incredibly gripping story), but you can read all about those things in the other 9 or 10 reviews. I'll be taking time to explain why this movie got extremely mixed reviews. Simply put, a large quantity of people only enjoy movies that have the plot-line spoon-fed to them. Alien was, although a quite possibly perfect film, one of those movies. In order for a movie to be great it doesn't need to have an amazing plot, really the plot of "Alien" is incredibly simple with pretty much one plot-twist, but it was still a quality film. Prometheus is the opposite end of the spectrum. Prometheus has an incredibly large plot-line, literally striving to explain the existence of humanity, a controversial and mind-crippling topic. However, it leaves much of the explaining up to the audience. It's a movie that you'll find yourself thinking about for weeks afterwards, still coming up with a plethora of theories. It's not just the plot that's incredible, though. This movie doesn't strictly rely on scares and thrills like Alien did, but it still has well placed moments that are chilling and appropriate to develop the plot and make you think even more. In fact, it contains possibly the most disturbing and tense movie scene I've ever witnessed. The movie is written by the same guy who wrote LOST, Damon Lindelof. Did you like LOST? Then you'll love Prometheus. If not, then you should be spending your money on movies like "The Expendables". Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    Too many people haven't done their research before posting a review on here. A lot of people are saying that the movie sucks and had great potential. Did it actually suck?

They are giving it such a low score on bases that it wasn't what they expected. People wanted xenomorphs but they didn't get that. Everything is explained, this film is most definitely original and the people that don't understand it are giving it such a low score! This film does not deserve a zero, or a two. Those are ridiculous ratings based solely on what you didn't get within the film.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean that things didn't get answered. They did get answered, it's because you don't understand it to truly see what the answers were!
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    This metascore is an absolute travesty. A beautiful, thought-provoking science-fiction film discussing what it means to be human, and the origins of life. It's metascore should be much much higher, at least in the seventies.
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    Another great Ridley Scott movie, he is a great director, it has awesome special effects and it has to much suspense, and we have a great performance by a new movie star, Michael Fassbender, who is really popular at the moment
  24. Jun 10, 2012
    This is for sure the best movie of 2012 I have seen so far, Sci fi movies are of my favorites, I also loved Alien I also liked this one but not that much as alien, but still awesome
  25. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow. Can not believe all the negative reviews. It might be spaam on here honestly. This movie was amazing! the directing, the acting, the visuals, the sounds, the intense scenes, the premise of the film were all fantastic.
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    Great movie. The Alien genie has been out of the bottle for years. It was natural to explore the space jockey in this one. This is a mature movie with real thought provoking questions in it. More of a journey more than a destination.
  27. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    This is a visually spectacular film and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a while. I think people that complain that it isn't 'like Alien' just aren't paying attention, and anyways, why would you want Scott to just remake something entirely the same. This is set in the same universe, but tells a different story. There are some weaknesses, such as some of the characterThis is a visually spectacular film and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a while. I think people that complain that it isn't 'like Alien' just aren't paying attention, and anyways, why would you want Scott to just remake something entirely the same. This is set in the same universe, but tells a different story. There are some weaknesses, such as some of the character development, but then again, the original Alien didn't give us a lot in that regard - perhaps it's more noticeable here due to how much it is trying to show. As for unanswered questions - I have answers for each one, they might not be the "Right" answers, but it's what I'll choose to take away from the film, and as a real sci-fi fan, I love that. I usually hate 3D films, but this was gorgeous, and so smooth, even better than Avatar. Not a perfect film, but a real quality science fiction film for fans of the genre. I sincerely hope something else will follow this film! Expand
  28. Jun 12, 2012
    All I want to say is that most of these negative reviews really didn't absorb what this movie is. It's very complex, and in no way did I think for a moment that this movie was trying to be like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious here, but the movie does NOT deserve this low of a score, with millions of meat heads going straight to metacritic for spoonfed interpretations by movie critics that take away any sense of imagination and insight.
    Think of it this way, when Fight Club first came out, it got ripped to shreds by movie critics...after a few years for it to sink in and now it's a classic.

This movie gets a 10 from me. I went in, just to enjoy the ride, and I wasn't bored for a minute.
  29. Jun 14, 2012
    I usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if II usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if I were to criticize them. That being said the WOW factor of Prometheus is undeniable. Too ambitious for its length of two hours it did seem disjointed and confusing for those unacquainted with the Alien films. Full of philosophy and homages to other films (the Alien series obviously, but also to 2001, the Thing remake etc) it had me absorbed during and ruminating after viewing. I kept the criticisms in the back of my mind while watching and let the director do his thing and thoroughly enjoyed where he took me. Obviously there were compromises in the production of the film probably foisted on him by the studio (most notably running time constraints) that prevented him from plot and character development (who knows what wound up on the cutting room floor), but for a sci-fi fan there really is no disappointment in this film. Leave the overthinking till after the movie's over. Prometheus IS a worthy prequel but probably will not be considered a classic sci-fi stand alone film. It should be viewed by all sci-fi fans in the theater. and judged on its merits, not its deficiencies. If you have an open mind it won't disappoint. Lets see what comes out on the extended/directors version blu-ray release. Expand
  30. Jun 16, 2012
    this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes.this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes. people didn't read watchmen and say 'stupid book about spandex wearers' no, it was much more than that. Scott just doesn't give you everything, and that's what i believe he intended too do.

however. if you are your general b-movie watcher, you will absolutely hate this film. it has practically been created for alien fanboys, and philosophers. if you have no idea of the alien franchise, and have a low IQ.. this film will definitely not be for you. This is almost Scott's way of saying thank you too the fans.

also from an ignorant angle, the effects were **** awesome.
    however, there

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.