6.5

1. May 21, 2013
    Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
  2. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the worst movie i have ever seen. After seeing it i was pist off because it was so bad. The plot was rubbish, there happened so many thing and not 1 thing was later explained. They send the most retarded fella's on the most important mission of mankind. The woman cuts an alien out of her womb and an hour later she can run, rappel, climb, and not feel a thing? "open to interpretation" my ass. Expand
  3. May 9, 2013
    I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
    It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
    No story what so ever.
    Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
  4. May 5, 2013
    Now, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. The problem with this movie is EVERYTHING ELSE. The plot itself is ok, but the execution is complete garbage. The two dumbasses biologist and map designer got lost even though they're the ones who has the good idea of running before its too late and then got killed because the biologist guy call an alien penis "beautiful", and that's the point where the entire movie got horrible. Afterwards everyone died one by one just like a typical horror flick, and it wouldn't be that bad if the movie is actually supposed to be like that, but its not. The movie is about these ambitious attempt of discovering the origins of human life. These people that died are supposed to be experts on their fields. If these people in the movie are the best that humanity can offer, humanity is doomed. It's completely dumb and stupid. Maybe it's just me thinking about it, it's possible that other people get through the stupidity and enjoy the movie, but come on, 100 by Roger Ebert??? God bless your soul MR Ebert for making a great influence after all these years, but this is the most dishonest review you have ever done and you know it. Please review the best movie of all time with your partner up there. It's called Real Life. 10 years of screentime and it reviews life of every men and women in the world so there's plenty of hating and loving of human nature. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    Honestly I loved this movie so I'll just say what I liked and mention my one core, and petty criticism.

The story, good. A decent explantion of where the alien ship came from while still acting as a good stand alone story in the Alien universe.
    Enjoyable and believable characters that are well acted with David, a robot who sees his creator as a father and pretends to be human in the
    opening, being the best of the pick.
    Legitimate tension to keep you invested and good action, a great return to sci-fi for Ridley Scott.

What I didn't like was the soundtrack, it feels al over the place. Some songs sound like they're from 2001 A Space Odyssey, while others sound like thy're from Alien andThe Terminator. Plus there's this underlying feeling that the story would've been better if it went with the original script. Which wasa straight up Alien prequel.

All in all a good movie that expands on the Alien universe in a unique way.
  6. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  7. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  8. Apr 7, 2013
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing, and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
    surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
    connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
    already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
    talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
    and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
    Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
    several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
    "alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
    would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
    good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
    suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
    or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
    scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
    for genre fans.
  9. Apr 7, 2013
    This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
  10. Apr 6, 2013
    I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol
  11. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  13. Mar 16, 2013
    I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
  16. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  17. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
  18. Feb 18, 2013
    I expected so much more from this movie. A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that? Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks. I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for. Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2013
    I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    A new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas and Theron in it but beyond that the plot and story are poor and the aliens tie in is just rubbish. I left the cinema feeling really sad about this film then again for me it's been follwoing in a long line of bad aliens movies. Alien (epic) still one hell of a movie with bit that make me jump even though I've seem them 100 times
    Aliens watch the special ed (epic) this is still one of the greatest action movies of all time
    Alien 3 trying to be Alien but still watchable
    Alien 4 trying to be Aliens this is where the rot sets in and the series starts to go down hill
    AvP Appauling
    AvP Requim Appauling
    Prometheus Extremely graphically superb with some great performances but ultimately in the poorer end of the franchise.

Ultimately Prometheus is visually stunning but falls short with the story and Aliens tie in and spoils the lore somewhat. All of the Aliens computer games have also been extremely poor also which is odd as they simply have the best ip for both the movies and games
  21. Feb 11, 2013
    If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
  22. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
  24. Feb 3, 2013
    Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
  25. Jan 31, 2013
    A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
  26. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  27. Jan 25, 2013
    A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
  28. Jan 20, 2013
    What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
  29. Jan 19, 2013
    Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
  30. Jan 19, 2013
    I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting. It's far from great, it's far from what older Sci-Fi movies have done, not to mention it's way below the bar which the Alien series has set long ago. The plot has some problems and, the characters are rather undeveloped and some of them feel out of place (they're not relevant, given the nature of their task) and the story has a very slow pace. On the other hand, the visuals are amazing and the cinematography - spectacular, all the while the 3D implementation is somewhat pointless. I gave it a 7 because I respect Ridley's effort and although I've been disappointed with it overall, I admit it has strong aspects. Let's face it, the movie industry is on a downward slope for some years now, and it doesn't seem to get any better when even the most respected directors disappoint. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.