6.5

1. Jun 17, 2012
    This is the whole ball of wax--action, danger, horror, and the fascination of the unknown. Faster than the original Alien--which is one of my all-time favorites--and more challenging, more thought provoking. An android of immense subtlety and power, both mental and physical, acted with great skill. A powerful heroine. Superb 3D and CGI. And, one more thing! If you can't "figure out whatThis is the whole ball of wax--action, danger, horror, and the fascination of the unknown. Faster than the original Alien--which is one of my all-time favorites--and more challenging, more thought provoking. An android of immense subtlety and power, both mental and physical, acted with great skill. A powerful heroine. Superb 3D and CGI. And, one more thing! If you can't "figure out what was going on" you're not trying: I thought of a plausible fact-matching explanation for every uncertainty in the movie within ten minutes of leaving the theater! That's doesn't mean I've stopped thinking for better explanations--it's that much fun. Just question your assumptions, and all of a sudden the possibilities will start falling into place. Expand
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    Ambitious film making at it's finest! A lot of people will be sore over Prometheus. Everyone wants to say it's because of the weak script, the unanswered questions or erratic pacing but it will be because of expectations overall, do to it's Alien DNA. It has been said to be a stand alone film within the same universe as Alien and people just started comparing the two. Yes, the movieAmbitious film making at it's finest! A lot of people will be sore over Prometheus. Everyone wants to say it's because of the weak script, the unanswered questions or erratic pacing but it will be because of expectations overall, do to it's Alien DNA. It has been said to be a stand alone film within the same universe as Alien and people just started comparing the two. Yes, the movie requires you to think a little harder than you usually would in a movie theatre but that's the whole point. As for all of the unanswered questions, for whatever reason, whether you need to come up with your own conclusions or Ridley Scott doesn't want to relinquish info that could possibly be in a sequel. Prometheus was a very guarded project, no one knew what to expect, so i'm just wondering why people are so upset at the fact that the movie didn't dumb itself down to revealing all it's secrets. That is my favorite aspect of the whole thing is that no matter how hard you try to answer the questions, another is lingering behind it. To me the pacing was just right, not going into this long process of introducing everything about it. The Sci-fi drama/thriller get right down to business and doesn't really hold back on any level viscerally or intellectually. There are not many film out there like Prometheus and it was a real treat to watch in IMAX. The entire premise was so carefully conceived i was in utter awe during most of the it, due to the amazing atmosphere, grand ideas, and pitch perfect performances(props to Fassbender on his eerily superb David) but the Noomi Repace takes the cake. The caesarean scene was by far one of the most intense things i have sat through during a movie, almost to the point where it was terrifyingly unbearable to watch. It was a fantastic experience that I wont soon forget and hopefully if were lucky, it's not over. People can be mad all they want but the entire crew has created something really amazing and the film simply strives to be more.

My advise to all the disappointed people would be to see it again. The second time I went, i immediately fell in love with Prometheus.
  3. Jun 20, 2012
    I know I have put my money in a good place when, after seeing a piece of art, in this case Prometheus, I spend the following hours and days wondering, thinking, discussing and arguing about its meaning and symbols.
  4. Jun 23, 2012
    Prometheus is one of the most beautiful and intriguing films I have come across in a long time. Reading some of the negative reviews on here, it appears that most of them just want the answer spoon fed to them and are unable to think for themselves. The amount of debate this film has raised is because of the lack of answers! The cast all perform incredibly well, with particular notePrometheus is one of the most beautiful and intriguing films I have come across in a long time. Reading some of the negative reviews on here, it appears that most of them just want the answer spoon fed to them and are unable to think for themselves. The amount of debate this film has raised is because of the lack of answers! The cast all perform incredibly well, with particular note going to Fassbender as David the android. As mentioned earlier the film looks absolutely stunning; I highly recommend a proper IMAX experience (Manchester's very good) for the full effect, with brilliant looking sets and wonderful creature design.

If you're a fan of the Alien series you might have a better idea of what's going on purely because the films are set in the same universe, but they're still far enough apart for anyone to appreciate Prometheus on its own merit but please don't go into the cinema expecting a horror film like alien, or an all out action movie like Aliens, its very different and you might appreciate it more if you go in without these preconceptions.

Overall I think Prometheus is a very unique film, we haven't seen something like this for some time and I hope it paves the way for more intelligent Sci-fi films in the near future.
  5. Jul 9, 2012
    FANTASTIC! I was 7 when alien came out! I stayed deep in the country and there was nothing out there but dark starry nights. I loved STAR WARS, who didnt! It was sooo exciting and made me really believe thatthat there was something fantastic going on out there in space. Im no trekky,although I did and do love star trek. But when ALIEN came to the movies in my lil town it was the mostFANTASTIC! I was 7 when alien came out! I stayed deep in the country and there was nothing out there but dark starry nights. I loved STAR WARS, who didnt! It was sooo exciting and made me really believe thatthat there was something fantastic going on out there in space. Im no trekky,although I did and do love star trek. But when ALIEN came to the movies in my lil town it was the most talked about thing amongst the older kids. I had to see it cause I thought that I would be taken to fun exciting adventure.BOY WAS I WRONG! It seemed so real because the actors were normal people doing normal things. But it was dark and more scarier than my imagination has ever gone! The Alien was TRAUMATIZING! I couldnt sleep for 3 years! But when my cousins finally explained to me that by the alien being blown into space and space had killed it and that it wasnt gonna fall to earth I was ok. NOT! Then I started to wonder where did they come from and what was that other alien doing driving a space ship? Im 39 now and for all those years RIDLEY MADE MY DREAM COME TRUE! I just dont wanna have to wait 30 more yrs to REALLY KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!! Thank u for introducing them to me RID OLE BOY! U R TRULY A VISISIONARY! NO OTHER SPACE MOVIES HAVE EVER CAME CLOSE!!!!! Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2012
    Best I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefsBest I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefs of our origin, our knowledge of the universe, and the ultimate questions of what reality even is. I cannot wait to see the sequels, which will have even more action and full scale warfare (like Alien vs Aliens). Loved it!! Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2012
    I had to make an account here when I saw all the negative reviews. To really understand the movie's subtle plot points, you have to be a fan of the Alien film series. First, the scientists taking off their helmets: these guys have just discovered the people who created them. They are really not thinking rationally, they just want to get answers, no matter the cost.
    The guy petting the
    The guy petting the alien snake: he was seriously stoned at the time. Seriously, he was smoking weed in his suit mere minutes before.
    The pod being designed for males: it was built specifically for Weyland. Putting it in Vickers' room was a cover.
    Shaw running minutes after surgery: it is clearly shown that she is in great pain while doing this, but she is managing to power through because she knows that if she doesn't , everything will go to hell. Add in that medical technology has significantly advanced in the future, and it makes sense.
    Vickers running forward from the ship instead of left or right: well, OK, that was a stupid move.
    Finally, the connection to Alien: the ships in the film were the same model, but not the same ship. The ship in Prometheus was carrying canisters of a black fluid to be used as a biological weapon. The fluid, when ingested, causes two things: it affects the host's mind and body negatively, and it causes a larva called a Trilobite to form. Dr. Holloway ingested the fluid, and while he was having sex with Shaw, the larva transferred itself from Holloway to Shaw. Shaw removes the Trilobite with the pod, and decontaminates it, putting it into a state of paralysis that she mistakes for death. Meanwhile, it grows to a huge size because it was designed to, being the product of a bioweapon. Once Shaw and the Engineer came to the shuttle it was trapped in, it broke out and facehugged the Engineer; the Trilobite is the ancestor of the Facehuggers. Once the Proto-Xenomorph bursts out (it looks different because it came from an Engineer), it presumably goes on to become the first Queen, spawning new Xenomorphs. This probably gained the attention of the other Engineers, who collected a bunch of eggs and put them in a ship to use as weapons. One of the eggs hatched, all hell broke loose, the ship crashed, and then the Nostromo found it in Alien.
    See, it makes sense if you use your brain a bit.
  8. Oct 1, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but notSimply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2012
    Don't understand to people who rate low this movie. This is simple amazing, you can't move from your sit while you are watching this movie, and when it ends you have the feeling or the needing of more...
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    This is one of the best science fiction movies I have ever seen! Visually stunning, mysterious, haunting and with an ambitious story, and all elements blend together perfectly. The greatest part however is that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of space for the audience to fill with their own fantasy instead of breastfeeding them. What a perfect movie!
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboardI cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
  13. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  14. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deletedWow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  15. Jan 29, 2015
    Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme.
  16. May 28, 2013
    This a great prequel to the Alien franchise! Sure hope that Ridley Scott's sequel to this is any better and we finally get to see our favorite killing machines!
  17. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus starts you off with a beginning similar in mystery and wonder to that of the liking toward Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but on a much larger scale. Throughout the film, you are to encounter an amazing usage of set design and digital effects that are far beyond many other movies seen today. The excitement peaks multiple times throughout the movie with a creepy, dark science feeling in between. Prometheus isn't just your average Sci-Fi horror flick, but an outside and adventurous journey to an alien world where mistakes ARE catastrophic. Though it is within the Alien and Aliens universe, this movie could very well stand alone as it's own masterpiece. The environment of the movie is so controlled but, yet it is free from any enchained mind, making it just as chaotic, if not more perilous than the other films. Prometheus is a keen breed of new and heavy hitting Science fiction-Adventure films that are rare to find these days, making it one of the most unique and awesome pieces of cinema to date. Expand
  18. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    I guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  19. Nov 21, 2013
    Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
    Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
    I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely.
  20. Nov 29, 2014
    Wow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . IWow i have been excited for this alien prequel directed by the director of the alien franchise Ridley Scott. I love the alien series i do its awesome but did this need a prequel? in my opinion i think alien needed a fifth sequel alien 5 sounds good but i enjoyed " Prometheus" it has an A list cast it , also has a good story. It may not answer are question fans question about "Alien" . I love Micheal Fassbender his performance as an Android (David) also he's better then Bischop and Ashbhe is one of my favorite character. I also love Noomi Rapace she is like the new ripley. grade A Expand
  21. Dec 25, 2014
    The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
  22. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible Spoiler.
    If your an Alien franchise fan this movie helps explain the genesis of the Xenomorphs, at least the early genesis. Still leave a lot of unanswered questions and raises a few more. Overall a solid sci fi film with A LOT going on.
  24. Jun 12, 2012
    A truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as theA truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as the android David, and added a great mystique to the character who was already fascinating in the script. Noomi Rapace was fantastic as Elisabeth Shaw. A character who was kick-a$$, but in a very believable way. A magnificent example of a "strong female lead". Any flack the film may receive concerning the crew making "stupid mistakes" is unjustified. Considering humans have never encountered anything remotely close to what the characters in the film come into contact with, it's safe to assume that the same mistakes could be made my any real human being. Point being, the characters were believable, and made choices and mistakes real humans might also make. If you are at all a fan of the Alien universe or good cinema you will love this film. However, if you are expecting a Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers or a token horror film, this film is not for you. Overall Prometheus is a brilliant film and a worthy revival of the Alien universe. Expand
  25. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is,Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is, like the best sci-fi, left up to interpretation. This film does not pander and has no easy answers, and that can sometimes be frustrating. But I applaud it nonetheless. Even if you wind up disappointed, there will definitely be something here that will stick out as memorable, even if it is just the visuals. Expand
  27. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  28. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the naysayers and the whiners who had such lofty expectations they would never be fulfilled. As a huge fan of Blade Runner and Alien, I have to say Scott delivered exactly as I expected him to. He raises just enough questions to get your mind running wild and let's your imagination take over. I was absolutely rabid to know more once it was over! The movie was technically beautiful, with 3D not done this good since Avatar. I mean you don't even notice it's 3D and that's the mark of a director who knows how to use it. The sets were incredible, the pace near perfect. Fassbender was acting out of his mind, he deserves a Best Supporting Actor nod, it was that good. And through it all, despite my confidence I could predict every move, at least two scenes caught me off guard, and at least one of them I know I said, Oh My God, out loud. Shock value as only Ridley Scott can deliver, and I will be thinking about this one long after I've seen it three times. So brush aside the haters, and go see some of the most intelligent, gorgeous sci fi we've seen in a long time. Welcome back Ridley! What took you so long? Expand
  29. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A visual panoramic sci-fi feast that sets the "WTF?" stage of ALIENS. Yes, the crew is strangely similar to the Nostromo crew, and yes, it does raise a lot of questions that don't get answered... but this is a classic issue with sci-fi. Ask and answer? People aren't happy with the answers. Ask and don't answer? People hate not getting the answers. So, here are a couple of life lesson answers to take with you into the next century. 1. It's never a wise idea to tease an android. Even if they tell you they aren't programmed for rage? Be nice. Second, if you come across a room full of alien objects dribbling goo? Don't stick your fingers in it, slime it around and give it a sniff. I wouldn't do that today in a neighborhood garage. On an alien planet? Are you nuts? Seriously, have we not learned these lesson by 2089? Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.