6.5

1. Oct 6, 2012
    Though so many question's are not answered, it's hard not to be absorbed into this science fiction mystery. Like 2001 Space Odyssey(1968) raised a lot questions and made the individual viewing the film ponder on answering them. Prometheus in many way's relates to the criticism of the film, but decades later it's praised as the greatest Sci Fi film of all time. Prometheus may not be anThough so many question's are not answered, it's hard not to be absorbed into this science fiction mystery. Like 2001 Space Odyssey(1968) raised a lot questions and made the individual viewing the film ponder on answering them. Prometheus in many way's relates to the criticism of the film, but decades later it's praised as the greatest Sci Fi film of all time. Prometheus may not be an instant classic like 2001 Space Odyssey, but it still ask's the right question's and give's the audience the power of deciding them. Expand
  2. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superb!! One of the few movies in the past decade I've reflected on for hours. The best .. well, and worst... part of it is that you can't help people understand how great it is without devulging spoilers. I work with a lot of genius level people who didn't like it because they didn't get it. They didn't get it because their ability to reflect on the complexity of a film has been ruined by the fact that 99% of the films released today are dumbed down for the lazy crackhead generation.
    SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT ************************************
    ***********************************************************************
    To appreciate the movie you must realize that the Alien in the beginning sacrificed itself by ingesting a biomechanical nano paste. The nano paste took its physiology to create a new spawned race with a DNA derived from it's own body.. and we find out later that IT WAS ON PRE-HUMAN EARTH! Now... even better was the fact that much of the movie concerns the planet that they find and their inability to understand what it's purpose is. They realize eventually that it's a military base armed with ships that contain biological weapons. These weapons begin with bio-tech nanos to gather information about a host, so that the weapon can be tailored as a super effecient killer of that species, or host organism (think face eating squid). They find that earth is due to be the target of a ship holding the bio-weapon.. why.. because we're a FAILED EXPERIMENT! Now.. even bettter than THAT is the fact that the humans accidentally interfere with the host information gathering process of the bioweapon and the target host ends up being the Alien of the superior race that created it. Thus the eventual 'Aliens' brand, acid for blood brand killing machine! Fn WOW! Now go read Taantric's review again.. typical self absorbed simpleton who focuses so much on trying to sound intelligent that he accomplishes the opposite. Find some time to read more dude....
  3. Oct 5, 2012
    so.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movieso.... its the "Future" and we still have people wearing glasses, walking in flip flops around a trillion dollar spaceship, smoking and lets not forget the catholic relgion still lives on! riiight... lol and best part of all? why dont we cut open a womans stomach and have her being chased, have her jump huge leaps and perform super stunts with her freshly stiched up stomach... This movie is a JOKE, and a bore to watch. nothing get resolved. on the plus side? amazing special effects, and the cinematography is great as well. Visually, the movie is great. Nothing ELSE! Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus is a science fiction thrill ride that leaves you itching for more. Director Ridley Scott stylishly utilizes the latest in CGI and 3D technology to launch the viewer into an alien infested nightmare. The film is a prequel to the hugely popular science fiction series Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  6. Oct 3, 2012
    Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it .
  7. Oct 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 21) Why Peter Weyland had to be played by such a young actor (Guy Pearce)?
    22) Why Peter Weyland wanted to risk so much to tag along with the Prometheus expedition instead of maybe putting himself in stasis back on Earth, if he wanted so much to find out about the outcome of this expedition? What immortality was he looking for on the unknown LV223? Who told him about some fountain of youth being located on that otherwise empty planet? This idea seemingly comes from nowhere. The Prometheus expedition was intended to learn about "the origins of life" - not the origins of eternal life! I guess that Peter Weyland became so senile that he could not tell the difference between such vastly different things. So, instead of finding some source of eternal life, he quickly got killed.
    23) It appears that the poor old Engineers were not good at creating manageable Xenomorphs. Really, they made the Alien/Aliens scorpion-like Xenomorph and it got out of control and killed everyone. Then, on LV223 the Engineers went through the same trouble with a different snake/octopus-like Xenomorph. Yes, it got out of control and killed everyone. I guess that the Engineers should've stayed away from creating those biological weapons! I mean, one disastrous mistake like that is understandable, but the Space Jockey fellas just kept stepping on the same rake time and time again! If they created the human race (for no apparent reason), then why they decided to destroy they creation (again, for no apparent reason) using such an incredibly dangerous and uncontrollable method as the Xenomorphs? Why not use bombs, if destruction of humans became such a necessity? The origial Xenomorph might have been just an experiment that went wrong.
    24) Agressiveness of the surviving Engineer and his lack of intelligence may explain why his buddies acted so strangely before, but not their ability to build such technologically advanced machines.
    25) Why all three of the Prometheus pilots decided to go all kamikaze on the Space Jockey's ship is unclear to me, because one pilot should have been enough for the job. Whatever made them so sure that the remaining Engineer was heading towards Earth?
    26) The rest of the movie still remains mixed up, such as how the removed Xenomorph embryo managed to go so large so fast while being isolated in the surgery room. Also, how did Shaw know that the grown up embryo would attack and be able to kill the last Engineer (he could be carrying a powerful weapon, although he apparently was too dumb even for that)? How the decapitated David was going to survive a lengthy interstellar trip on another Enginners' ship? Shaw obviously did not have skills or tools to put David back together. What made Shaw and David so certain that the second Engineers' ship was clear of any dangerous Xenomorph creatures that were usually all over the other alien ships?
    And so on and so forth.
  8. Oct 1, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but notSimply a masterpiece for TRUE alien fans, the people I talked about this movie with usually complain about the fact that there is no "predator" or "xenomorph" in this movie, holy **** idiots this is a new brand, new story, new carachters, new epic journey, it is on the "alien universe" but fortunately is a different story (did we really need alien 5? I don't think so) and last but not least predator do NOT BELONG the Alien universe just because few years ago came out 2 horrible ****ty movies only for commercial purpose. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2012
    Prometheus delivers what it promised : A side-story set in the alien universe that sets the pieces for 2 sequels.

Some hate the movie because it leaves unanswered questions and because it's not the Alien prequel they expected. Let's be honest, a lot of fan boys wanted to see this movie for two reason : See aliens and understand where they came from. Yet... Scott clearly said that

Let's be honest, a lot of fan boys wanted to see this movie for two reason : See aliens and understand where they came from. Yet... Scott clearly said that this was not a prequel (it doesn't take place on LV 426 where the original alien events took place). So yes, this movie raises more question than answers. But hey, this IS the first the movie of a trilogy. And the the sequel called "paradise" is actually being filmed and estimated to be released for 2014.

So don't listen to those haters that wanted all the mistery solved on the first movie or the alien fan boys.

This movie is NOT alien. If you can take that of your head, you'll like it.

They are however a few incoherences in this movies. While the main characters are solid, the rest of crew is just awfull. None of them makes logical decision, which leads them to their doom. (spoilers) Fortunatly they are now all dead, so at least we won't have to deal with them in the second chapter.

Regardless of it's flaws, Prometheus is the FIRST chapter of an adventure that is so far very promissing. Don't judge the story untill you've actually scene the third and final film. If you take prometheus as a standalone movie, it sucks, but as a first movie of a trilogy it asctually does well.
  10. Sep 30, 2012
    It wasn't bad, Certainly better then what I originally expected, but it was rather disapointing. Scott should have just came out and said it was an alien prequel because that is pretty much what it was.
  11. Sep 30, 2012
    Prometheus does what you've seen many, many sci-fi movies do before... However, it does it all well. From the get go it is fairly easy to predict which characters are going to die and in which order, but whilst the initial set up feels a bit lacking in orginality, Prometheus delivers its gruesome deaths with a powerful punch. The vistas are stunning and Prometheus represents another hugePrometheus does what you've seen many, many sci-fi movies do before... However, it does it all well. From the get go it is fairly easy to predict which characters are going to die and in which order, but whilst the initial set up feels a bit lacking in orginality, Prometheus delivers its gruesome deaths with a powerful punch. The vistas are stunning and Prometheus represents another huge leap in CGI landscapes. It's easiest to describe the quality of the effects as a grittier version of Avatar. The film leaves many questions unanswered in true Alien style which many audience members may be frustrated with, and a sequel happy ending feels a little bit forced. However, fans of Alien are sure to get a kick out of seeing technologies and locations they know and fear. Overall, Prometheus is an impressive film, yet falls short of the heights it was built up to reach. Expand
  12. Sep 30, 2012
    Decent movie but too much was left open for a sequel.movie though did answer one question. Would movie goers watch another alien sequel if it is well scripted? Yes! Overall this just falls short
  13. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was pretty decent. The problem lies with the lack of grandeur and cosmic "epicness" of the alien world and with the Engineers. It didn't make sense that the restored Engineer, an advanced species far surpassing our intelligence, beat up the humans bare knuckle, much like an animal. I think it would have done the movie good if the Engineer was understanding, and maybe remorseful, and tried to give the humans answers. Meanwhile, the humans, along with the Engineer battle the Alien(s), and ultimately the Engineer becomes infected, the new alien kills off the remaining humans except for Shaw, who makes it out as the last alive and escapes. Expand
  14. Sep 29, 2012
    This was one of the most disappointing movies this year. The promises and the hype were enormous, but all we got is a cliched plot and characters.
    The movie, though ambitious, contained the narrative, which could be called one big giant monstrosity, most of the questions raised in the film were left for a sequel, abandoned or made no sense at all. The science team was really out of place, stupid and careless. There is a religious tone in this movie, but the problem is, that we never discuss about it, there's only "I choose in what I believe" which is a huge cop-out. There was really nothing smart about this movie. It sometimes seen that Riddley Scott never did his homework before writing the script.
    There were so many opportunities to make this movie intellectual, and every chance was abandoned. No serious debate about science vs. religion, no serious discussions about the origins of mankind or they creators, or the reason for invitation, everything these "scientist" assume are just wild speculations and plot hangs on it. The engineers motives seemed dumb too.
    The only redeeming quality was the visuals and the performance of the actor who played the android. That's it. There's nothing good about this movie on the narrative sense. Ambitious, but bad movie.
  15. Sep 24, 2012
    The whole movie was like the first chapter or an introduction to a bog si-fi book . So in a way the plot does sucks big time . There was no answer what so ever . all they did is made more and more question . And that's not a very good way to end a movie . Its like we have to wait 2/3 years to find out whether we like this movie or not .
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were
    Acting was quiet impressive . And the effects were the best of this year . Music was good though mixing wasn't perfect .
    Hope the sequel wont waste our time by creating more and more questions !
  16. Sep 23, 2012
    Not because they say that this movie is bad, I thought it was good as far as it goes. The bad thing about this movie is that they do not explain much of alien species emerging. However, the effects of the movie are very good.
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    Don't you even try to go watching it thinking you'll understand everything immediately: go watch Prometheus like if it was an old fashioned sci-fi film, where some questions are intentionally left unanswered in order to make the audience wonder and think about it.
    The day after I left the theatre embittered I looked for the explanation of some scenes on the Internet, which seemed to have a symbolical meaning: I found plenty of videos explaining the film metaphorically and symbolically.Thus, I thought Prometheus is a good film.
    The acting is not that awesome but David, the android played by Michael Fassbender, is astonishingly great.Visually speaking, Prometheus is magnificent: the visual FX (charmingly) surround the excellent framing work Ridley Scott did.
    For God' Sake: if you are watching it in a theatre, make sure you are watching the film in 3D.
    The Official SoundTrack gave me goosebumps: please note that the HD version of the original Alien's main theme made me giggle in Happiness.
    It is not a perfect film, though
  18. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not know, until I was in the theater and saw it unfold before me, that Prometheus is a prequel to Alien. Somehow that part of the marketing scheme didn't reach me. I thought, oh, that's strange. Ridley Scott is making another space movie that looks remarkably similar to Alien, and he's even using the same lettering. He must be desperate. Oops. My bad. It's a prequel. But it's also not. You see, Prometheus takes place in the same universe as Alien, before the events in Alien. It heavily references Alien, and its main plot is related to an alien race that is encountered in Alien, but not the chest-popping dude with the cool second jaw. That's where it strays from prequel status: Ridley Scott is attempting to develop an original story here, only very loosely related to Alien.

It is the story of human beginnings, one of the most enticing questions in the history of the world. It is not a true story, of course; don't be fooled by the really cool special effects. It is a story that, at the end of Prometheus, is not over. Scott has announced that he intended from the beginning for this to be a series, and not a standalone film. We do not yet know how many sequels there will be, but I am expecting at least one.

I liked it, more than I thought I would. I am usually a fan of Ridley Scott, as Gladiator and Alien are two of my favorite films, so I suppose I should not be surprised. If there is a sequel, will I see it? Yes, of course. There are some things about this movie that are really far-fetched, and other things that are definitely not possible with any sort of technology. So that's weird. But for the most part, the story drew me in and kept me interested. The acting held up, and the visuals were really cool. There isn't much to say for character development or hidden themes, though. It's just a story. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to stack up to Alien.

A lot of the reviewers on IMDb really hate this movie. I think they must have been expecting something as good as Alien, so they were pissed off at what they got. But it's not a bad movie, folks. I don't need to tell you that the haters are full of **** judging by the fact that most of them gave the movie a 1/10, which is unreal - I mean come on.

I'm a little disappointed by Charlize Theron in her role, which surprises me, but I'll blame it on her character. I don't feel that Meredith Vickers has a lot of depth, and her little twist is really obvious. I just think she's weird. Michael Fassbender, though... let's talk about him. This guy greatly impressed me in Inglourious Basterds, but his role was so minor that he didn't have a chance to really shine. Now he plays David, the android, in Prometheus, and it's nothing short of splendid. His sparkle is somehow very artificial, his body language just slightly inhuman. He provides the appearance of possessing superhuman intelligence, and the look in his eyes is one of incredible cunning, but also great curiosity, especially toward living things. This is certainly the most compelling depiction of an android yet, and much more impressive than [I won't spoil the surprise] in Alien or Lance Henriksen in Aliens (or, of course, Arnold in Terminator). In the defense of those Alien(s) guys, though, Fassbender's character is much more prominent in the story of Prometheus.

I also feel that Noomi Rapace does a great job in her lead role; she manages not to allow Fassbender to eclipse her, which is impressive. Her performance is very believable, even if some of her character's actions are far-fetched (more on that in the viewers-only section). The rest of the cast is primarily unknown, but they make a relatively good ensemble. I could do without the goofy guys that get lost, but I can't fault the actors for that; they do their job well. I will note that Idris Elba, who plays the ship's captain in this film, is better known to some of us as Stringer Bell from HBO's The Wire. For those of you who don't know, Stringer is one of the most enthralling characters I have ever seen in film or television, and Elba is absolutely amazing in that role. Since that time, I have seen him in a couple of minor roles, including this one, and I personally wish he had quit acting after The Wire. While his performances are nowhere near poor, I cannot help but think of him as Stringer Bell.

For a much more lengthy and in-depth review, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  19. Sep 21, 2012
    A group of scientists discover a map that leads them to the place where they believe that we are the creators, but this trip will take them to a distant world, where they must fight to survive and to find out why they were created. Prometheus is not the masterpiece that everyone expected, but it certainly is the best science fiction film of the year (at least for me). Meanwhile, I have toA group of scientists discover a map that leads them to the place where they believe that we are the creators, but this trip will take them to a distant world, where they must fight to survive and to find out why they were created. Prometheus is not the masterpiece that everyone expected, but it certainly is the best science fiction film of the year (at least for me). Meanwhile, I have to say that for many points of view looks just like Alien (due to certain situations and scenes that do not tell you not to spoil) and really great actors including the best that surprised me most was Michael Fassbender in the role the droid. There are also excellent special effects very well made and also the extraordinary scenery. Especially good atmosphere of the film that is full of suspense and mystery. A movie to watch. Expand
  20. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was fantastic. There is alot of thought provoking material within the film unfortunately it is often just glossed over and it could have been explained a little stronger. The character development is handicapped too but having seen alot of the deleted material that will be put
    in the soon to be released DVD/Blu Ray, its nice to see some of the characters explained a little better. It's a confusing film at times and offers more questions that answers and I think that frustrates some people. I found it absolutely intriguing. Visually the movie is stunning. A top notch film from a top notch film maker.
  21. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show noAs someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
  23. Sep 19, 2012
    "They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative"They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative criticism from fans and it just makes me laugh because I don't get what else they were expecting this film to be. So, it's a lot easier for me to say that this film proved to be much, much better than my expectations because I really wasn't expecting it to be good, or even great. Ridley Scott kept this film separate from previous Alien films and that is prodigious. He delivered it wonderfully and deliberately left so many questions unanswered to keep the viewers wondering and let their thoughts go beyond the imagination. The plot might seem a bit typical and predictable sometimes but it has been executed and incorporated in the direction in an amazing way that is really worth watching. Hats off to Scott's direction and Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts' writing. Production design is brilliant, and so is the cinematography. Visual effects are up to the par and seem really good and believable and somehow a bit genuine (especially those blue-ish blurry ones, they were really good). Outstanding performances by Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David and Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers. I liked Rapace's performance so much because of her little bit resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley and also because she continued to shine like she did as Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium series. Overall, it is a really great film, which gives you a wonderful experience. Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2012
    This film was a huge letdown. Story wise is an absolute mess. Full of uninspired, clueless, dumb characters following a concatenation of events that can hardly be called a "plot".
    You might be hoping for some cool action or thrill but you would be disappointed anyway. The only good thing about this movie is the spaceship CGI. Very cool design. That said you don't want to spend money on this train wreck
  25. Sep 18, 2012
    It's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelation that evolution is false and we were created by some far away aliens, independent of the other species on this planet, might bother you, steer veryIt's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelation that evolution is false and we were created by some far away aliens, independent of the other species on this planet, might bother you, steer very clear of this movie. It's a mockery of science, filmmaking and religion all in one.

Thanks, metacritic, for littering my review with a bunch of backslashes. Time to move away from the PHP, fools.
  26. Sep 18, 2012
    Prometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron'sPrometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron's character has a lot of dialogue but does almost nothing. David (the robot) is played terrifically by Michael Fassbender but suffers from a convoluted and confusing last few scenes where he goes from curious scientist to aloof murderer to possible savior all in the space of about 15 minutes. Shaw is presumably the protagonist although you wouldn't guess it or even want it. I watched the whole thing yesterday, went to bed content and woke up irritated. Basically, don't over think this one. Expand
  27. Sep 17, 2012
    An average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movieAn average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movie swamp monster. I guess I enjoyed it when Pretending it had nothing to do with the alien mythos at all but that's not really praise. Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2012
    A movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you'reA movie that caters to an audience who believes that scientists are incapable of telling the difference between "combust" and "explode". Fancy visuals, decent acting but a script that written by someone who either knows exactly how to cater to a modern audience or who hasn't read a news report in over 30 years, I'm still not sure which one it is. Not recommended viewing unless you're looking for a B-quality sci-fi movie with A-quality effects. Expand
  29. Sep 14, 2012
    The movie with the most exhilarating trailer of the year didn't quite live up to expectations. Prometheus, like many good science fiction films, poses great philosophical questions concerning the origin of our existence (which deserves applause), but it unfortunately goes absolutely no where with it. Each scene set up ideas but there's no payoff. Some scenes set up new ideas and storyThe movie with the most exhilarating trailer of the year didn't quite live up to expectations. Prometheus, like many good science fiction films, poses great philosophical questions concerning the origin of our existence (which deserves applause), but it unfortunately goes absolutely no where with it. Each scene set up ideas but there's no payoff. Some scenes set up new ideas and story threads out of sheer convenience, and there's still no payoff. This movie felt like one big set up, with an intended sequel in mind, which simply wasn't doing it for me. Director, Ridley Scott isn't necessarily the one we should blame here, but the Screenwriter deserves some smack, for writing a script with more plot holes and loose end than you could imagine. Despite these flaws the movie was ripe with entertainment; and good performances abound, the best of which came from Michael Fassbender as our shady android, David and Idris Elba as the cool captain of the Prometheus. And while Scott Expand
  30. Sep 7, 2012
    I' am a huge sci-fi and Alien movie geek. So when I heard Ridley Scott was making a new sci-fi movie, you can guess my excitement. I never go into movies expecting it to be flawed or the next Godfather. It is a great futuristic thriller. A story of a group of scientist on a quest to meeting humanity's makers that goes terribly wrong. Noomi Rapace does a great job as the leading role whichI' am a huge sci-fi and Alien movie geek. So when I heard Ridley Scott was making a new sci-fi movie, you can guess my excitement. I never go into movies expecting it to be flawed or the next Godfather. It is a great futuristic thriller. A story of a group of scientist on a quest to meeting humanity's makers that goes terribly wrong. Noomi Rapace does a great job as the leading role which has a great resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's role. Micheal Fassbender is just perfect as the android we all know. Charlize Theron gives a great performance as the heartless illusive antagonist of the movie. These three lead characters give the only worth while performances. The rest, I could care less about because obviously they where put as "extras" to be killed with no character development at all. The story seemed very interesting which is the key objective for me. The story has plot holes but so did 1979's Alien and those were eventually explain. Overall I enjoyed watching this film, Definitely worth seeing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.