6.6

1. Jan 19, 2013
    Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infectedFirstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
  2. Feb 18, 2013
    I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of anI think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideasDue to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
  5. Apr 7, 2013
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing, and probably a few more I didn't catch.
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre.

For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star
    Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing,
    and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
    surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
    connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
    already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
    talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
    and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
    Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
    several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
    "alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
    would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
    good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
    suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
    or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
    scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
    for genre fans.
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    A beautifully filmed movie that makes you really piece things together. If you love movies that make you re-watch to figure it out, this is one of the best of 2012.. I can't wait until the next one!
  7. Dec 14, 2013
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  8. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  9. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  10. May 30, 2015
    I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as twoI've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as two of the dimmest scientists in cinema history. To be fair, the film never attempted to portray them as particularly bright, but I was left wondering how the pair landed such an important gig. Perhaps Weyland blew the budget on his gorgeous spacecraft and had to skimp on the staffing. That moderate criticism aside, it's still very good science fiction, and I'm very much looking forward to its 2017 sequel. Expand
  11. Nov 9, 2014
  12. Dec 19, 2014
    Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals. Never once did I feel bored in this movie. 8/10 (great)
  13. Mar 29, 2015
    Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans, but this one is really good! Prometheus is what going to the movies is about: 2 hours of action, thrills, scares, and jaw dropping special effects!
  14. May 23, 2015
    I have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever toI have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever to do so). Well, like it or not, that's my opinion. Expand
  15. Jun 20, 2016
    Not an "Alien" movie for sure, but a sci-fi at its best. There are less and less space opera blockbusters not focused on laser fire, and this is one of those rare beauties.
  16. Oct 10, 2015
    This movie is very thought-provoking. Michael Fassbender's performance of David, the android is particularly good and it's also a very interesting character. The film is beautiful visually and the amazing soundtrack creates an otherworldly mood. All in all, I think it's amazing and definitely worth to watch.
  17. Jan 29, 2016
    The movie wasn't giving my brain much of a workout, but my eyes got a nice buzz. Prometheus is straight-up gorgeous...

Check out this movie here http://www.watchfree.to/watch-23d417-Prometheus-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  18. Dec 16, 2015
    Prometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on its own! Two things make me enjoy this movie so much: (1) I love Ridley Scott's Alien and Cameron's Aliens and I have been expecting explanations for thePrometheus is definitely worth watching: nive premise, awesome visuals and action scenes, very atmospheric and entertaining. There is ONE major problem with this movie (and I blame the writer for it). The movie simply does not stand on its own! Two things make me enjoy this movie so much: (1) I love Ridley Scott's Alien and Cameron's Aliens and I have been expecting explanations for the first scene in Scott's thriller for a long time, and (2) I am counting on the (already announced) sequence to complete this movie. In other words, what makes me like this movie is its connection to Alien and the expectation of a successful sequence. So if you watch this movie, make sure to watch the first Alien movie before doing so and keep in mind that the story does not end here. . . They better make an excellent job in the sequence, otherwise they will not only make a new bad movie, but also ruin this one.. Expand
  19. Mar 27, 2016
    Although Ridley Scott’s 3D visual feast is no classic, the oozing alien tentacles hit all the right sci-fi horror notes.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if it involves figuring out who invented humankind. That's the warning at the heart of Prometheus, a visual feast of a 3D sci-fi movie that has trouble combining its high-minded notions about the origins of the species and

That's the warning at the heart of Prometheus, a visual feast of a 3D sci-fi movie that has trouble combining its high-minded notions about the origins of the species and its Alien-based obligation to deliver oozy gross-out moments. Ridley Scott's third venture into science fiction, after Alien in 1979 and Blade Runner in 1982, won't become a genre benchmark like those classics despite its equivalent seriousness and ambition, but it does supply enough visual spectacle, tense action and sticky, slithery monster attacks to hit the spot with thrill-seeking audiences worldwide.

The Greek titan Prometheus got in trouble for stealing fire from Zeus and putting man on the same level as the gods. Presuming that humans won't rest until we discover where we came from and how we got here, Prometheus proposes that not very long from now, in 2093 to be precise, a plausible source of human life will not only be found but reached by space explorers backed, not surprisingly, by private, not government, interests.

The striking opening sequence (shot in Iceland) reveals scientist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace, the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) discovering ancient cave paintings indicating the likely arrival on Earth of extraterrestrials many thousands of years ago. Such evidence points to the source as a moon in a small solar system a vast distance away, but not out of reach of a trillion-dollar spacecraft built by Weyland Industries.

The buildup and arrival are the best part of the film, suggesting a sense of inquiry and genuine sort of thoughtfulness that promise a truly weighty slice of speculative fiction. Not that this territory hasn't been amply mined in the past: In fact, the particulars of the ship's interior design, visual projections, hibernating crew members, sports workout routines and Michael Fassbender's robot character as a sort of ambulatory HAL with an obsession to look and speak like Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, which he likes to watch, are unavoidably reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Little by little, however, elements of other, less philosophical films come into play, including Fantastic Voyage, Rosemary's Baby and, inevitably, Alien. Arriving on the rugged, outwardly lifeless moon, the 17 crew members notice pyramid-like structures that were clearly not fashioned by nature. Inside, the elaborate tunnels and chambers possess moisture, elaborate writing, a large statue of a human head and, more alarming, countless small cylinders that produce a sticky mud-like substance, and an apparent human head.

It doesn't take long for the crew's number to be reduced by untoward circumstances, nor for doubt to set in about the true agenda not only of Fassbender's David, who can be quietly amusing, but of Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers, the chilly Weyland executive on board who condescendingly treats everyone else, including the ship's captain (Idris Elba), as vastly inferior employees.

Elizabeth and her scientist boyfriend Charlie (Logan Marshall-Green) continue to spar about the potential momentousness of their journey -- she, who wears a cross, hopes to find confirmation of her religious beliefs that will point to the existence of a traditional creator, while he is convinced that what they discover will merely prove once and for all that Darwin was right. But such rarefied considerations are thrown overboard when aliens start materializing, shooting their tentacles where you definitely don't want them, getting someone pregnant and otherwise causing the same sort of mayhem they always have in outer-space monster films.

As the survivors are pared down to a precious few, the grisliness and gross-out quotient increases; a self-inflicted cesarian section may be a screen first (certainly the result of it is), while Fassbender's fate is similarly imaginative and far funnier. This project started life as an intended prequel to Alien but morphed into something else. Unfortunately, the closer it comes to a climax, the more you feel the elements being lined up to set the stage for a sequel to this film, most of all in a coda that feels like a craven teaser trailer for the next installment.

Blonded up, perfect of diction and elegant of body, Fassbender seems almost alarmingly neutered at first as the ship's all-purpose valet but excels as he's allowed to begin injecting droll comedy into his performance.

Technically, Prometheus is magnificent. Shot in 3D but without the director taking the process into account in his conceptions or execution, the film absorbs and uses the process seamlessly.

A visually stunning return to science fiction by Ridley Scott caters too much to audience expectations when more imaginative boldness would have taken it further.
  20. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue doesn't seem to come from an organic place. It's the subtlest breaking of the fourth wall. The non-sequitir, delivered by the father, who in that instant, perhaps, temporally serves in the capacity of a ventriloquist's dummy playing, for dialectical purposes, the devil's advocate, could be the linchpin of understanding the abounding vagaries in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, the 2011 award-winning film that, as a result, was misinterpreted by literal-minded moviegoers who wanted the film to align perfectly with other Christian-minded ilk, most of which account for, without any provocation from an ancillary voice abetting a polar ideology, the existence of God. In a diner, the filmmaker interjects on the father's behalf(Mr. O'Brien has the filmic spirit), when after having just harassed the waitress about her slow service, he asks his boys: "Subjective point-of-view, you know the difference?" It's a rhetorical question, of course. Jack, in particular, knows better not to speak while his father is pontificating. "Subjective," the failed musician explains, "means it comes from your mind. It can't be proven." It's Malick himself, not Jack's dad, who pontificates against the film's seemingly didactic perspective that God created the universe. Consider the signs and syntax. Rendered in Kubrick's film language, with a start, we realize how the whispered petitioning of the mother and her eldest son to God could, in fact, be in complete discordance with the cosmic imagery. Are they speaking to the void? After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey, advocated science. Unmistakably atheist, the "Dawn of Man" sequence featured monkeys, our progenitors, as an afirmation of evolution, a theory first put forward by Charles Darwin. The absence of monkeys from the timeline in The Tree of Life would seem to be promoting a creationist take on man's origins, especially if you factor in the illustrated monkeys from the storybook(read: evolution is made-up) that the mother delivers to her three malleable sons. And yet, the 1968 sci-fi classic gets slyly evoked in the violent actions of a boy, the neighborhood gang's ringleader, who like the monkey that employs an antelope bone in order to smash things, also refashions a found object as a weapon, some piece of wood, which he brings down repeatedly on a garbage can. Science fiction(which, here, would later become science fact) is addressed more directly in the next scene, when Jack, galvanized by the potential for space exploration through the covert reading at night of a Jack Coogan and Fletcher Pratt book, helps launch a frog into the air via rocket, killing this proto-astronaut, and God, in the process. Although By Spaceship to the Moon precludes alien life forms, speculative fiction, as a general rule, is thematically secular, which begs the question: Is there a God in The Tree of Life? For sure, his holiness, has no hand in The Exploding Chest of Life(aka Alien). "Oh, God!" cries Lambert, the bloodied chief navigator of the Nostromo, as the xenomorph comes bursting through Kane's pulmonary cavity. Even if her lament was more than the mere cursing of an atheist, like Jack's mother, whose similarly phrased entreaty concerning her dead son goes unanswered, Lambert would come to realize that nobody can hear you scream. Heaven isn't listening. Vasquez(from Aliens), presumably, a Christian, because of the cross she wears around her neck, can afford to be religious, since the butchy-looking soldier's compeers are mercenaries like herself, not scientists. The private dies in a self-triggered air shaft blast, alongside Lt. Golman, no doubt comforted by the reassuring concept of ascension. As it turns out, in Prometheus, the sideways sequel to the original, we learn that the fighting between man and alien throughout the series is a sort of civil war. Vasquez's faith never gets tested. The soldier never learns that she had a hand in gunning down her maker's children, the mutated ancestors of mankind. In Prometheus, despite the fact that a startling series of events conclusively proves both the theologians and the evolutionists wrong, Elizabeth retrieves her cross from David, even though the relic lost its original meaning. She tells the android, "It's what I choose to believe," subjectivist words that sound naive, since the diegetic world of Prometheus lacks the fluidity innate in The Tree of Life filmscape, where God and science duke it out for adherents. Science, arguably, wins in the final sequence. Jack, by all appearances, works in a building more exciting than the one in Being John Malkovich. Instead of finding a portal that leads to the seat of the famous actor's consciousness, Jack, while riding the elevator, gets sucked into a wormhole, where he is reunited with his family, tricked out as their younger selves. Only as a young woman, can the mother let go of her maternal pain. Like Elizabeth, she invents a heaven. Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    If you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problemIf you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problem with the movie was we really don't get a good grasp what is or was the bad guy or what the point of anything is during the whole film. They casually throw a couple of twists here and there and it all falls a little flat. However, if you were able to disregard a bunch of muck including poorly written lines and some incredibly stupid and unrealistic actions taken by the side characters and just followed the protagonist grueling battle to stay alive it's overall a fairly good albeit confusing movie experience. Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspensefulPrometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspenseful movie. The horror just isn't there, and the charm of the classic and masterful Alien is no where to be seen. At its highest points, you can really feel for a character and the plight of the ship itself, but most of the characters in general give barely any good reason to care for them. David is by far the best of them, making you feel like you know him then suddenly he changes and will keep you guessing. In the visuals department, this is a fantastic looking movie, with even the barren wasteland of the planet they are on seem interesting at every angle. Beyond that though, this movie is just not up being called an "alien prequel" because the mention of anything Xenomorph at all is scarce. Am i excited to see where this will go? Yes. But is this on par with one of the greatest horror classics? Not in the slightest. Expand
  24. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien.I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  25. Jun 9, 2012
    I did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances wereI did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances were mostly great, beautiful cinematography and design, but I left the cinema puzzled. In most cases being puzzled after watching a film is indicative that the movie raised great questions and the film itself was really good, but in this case I just felt it was lazy story writing/telling. Death and dealing with death/mortality is one of the biggest subjects, but really everything said sounded heard before and half-baked. Religion is the other subject - with nothing worth remembering from what is said about it in the movie (cross gets a prominent screen time; faith/do you have faith/do you believe mentions as well; references to relationship to the god/creator are everywhere). Creation vs. destruction, new vs. old, father vs. son, creator/creation, losing parents/killing parents, androids yearning to have a soul -- all these topics seem to be raised just for the sake of raising them (sounds deep) and none of them are dealt with in an interesting way.
    Having in mind the amount of hype that preceded the film it seems to me that much of the actual story was left for the sequel and this summer viewers had to get to know the context, freshen up on the Alien references and get used to Scott's visuals.
    It's a shame because overall the story has had great potentials, actors were great, visual effects and cinematography were stunning.
  26. drm
    Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK. Let me preface this review with a couple of facts. The original 'Alien' is a masterpiece. That movie scared the hell out of me as a 7 year old. I'd read the book, so I'd coerced my parents to take me to the movie. Sigourney Weaver had a lot to do with that, because she's a really good actress. Prometheus just doesn't quite hit the mark. It's a good, fun, well-detailed movie to watch, but gets flaccid toward the end. I don't blame Ridley for any of this. I blame **** 'Lost' writers for this. Guys who sit up at Comicon panels every year and say, "We're not going do anything that stupid", and then they do. Nice one. There are glaring plot holes in this thing, mainly concerning the evidence left behind from a previous expedition, an escape suite, an escape pod, other fully functional alien spacecraft lying about, and all sorts of unseen wreckage, that the cast from the '79 cast should've seen bold as day. I thought the "Engineer" aliens being near-human was a total lazy cop-out too. It was unnecessary. Weyland wasn't Lance Henriksen, which creates some other problems, and the artificial person really broke with canon for more reasons than I care to count. Despite all it's flaws, I did have fun watching it. It's delightful to look at, but it isn't an 'Alien' movie. Ridley...you need to start writing this stuff yourself. You're better at it than these lousy, lifestyle, wanna-be nerd hacks. Expand
  27. Jun 17, 2012
    Firstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too manyFirstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too many problems unanswered. I actually burst out laughing in a few places as dialogue was stolen from other movies. Expand
  28. Jun 12, 2012
    This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer.This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer. The visuals (cgi and all) were certainly beautiful, and the acting was spot on as well. The main flaws in this movie were the editing and it seemed a bit corny at times to me, and it didn't seem to answer any questions either, i left the movie slightly confused, but overall this movie was slightly over par, but not by much, and if you are a fan of the alien franchise its worth the admission, but if you haven't even seen the alien films, you will have no idea whats going on. 6.5/10 Expand
  29. Jun 9, 2012
    Go and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that aGo and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that a director of Scott's capabilities could possibly have put together such a vacuous story. I can only assume that the ageing Ridley is fretting about What Lies Beyond and is either wholly cynical about mankind, or melancholic at the thought that man's quest for purpose and meaning in life is as fruitless as Shaw's quest for the aliens depicted in ancient man's primitive paintings. Or both. Of course, he could just have been fretting that he failed to make Alien anything more than a 'boo' movie so decided to invest Prometheus with the significance that critics claim was missing from his 1979 masterpiece. I've not read any critic who has actually explored the significance of David's modelling of himself on TE Lawrence. Is it to show that David has chosen a deeply flawed model, and thereby given himself a Sisyphean task? He'll never be a warm human while he chooses to emulate one of life's most famous Outsiders. Expand
  30. Aug 30, 2015
    "Prometheus" is a mixed bag of beans. The plot kinda does get far-fetched to some senses, but the action and visuals Ridley Scott presents us are top-notch quality. Overall, it does meet the 'enjoyable' standard, but not by much.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.