6.5

1. Mar 16, 2013
    I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing, and probably a few more I didn't catch.
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to
    Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with
    fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre.

For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star
    Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing,
    and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
    surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
    connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
    already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
    talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
    and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
    Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
    several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
    "alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
    would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
    good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
    suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
    or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
    scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
    for genre fans.
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    A beautifully filmed movie that makes you really piece things together. If you love movies that make you re-watch to figure it out, this is one of the best of 2012.. I can't wait until the next one!
  4. Dec 14, 2013
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  6. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  7. May 30, 2015
    I've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as twoI've never understood the loathing that this film generated with a significant minority of the viewing public. I found it to be both beautiful and thought-provoking, with extremely good performances by Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. It's certainly not perfect, of course. Sean Harris and Rafe Spall's characters are deservedly mocked by many viewers as two of the dimmest scientists in cinema history. To be fair, the film never attempted to portray them as particularly bright, but I was left wondering how the pair landed such an important gig. Perhaps Weyland blew the budget on his gorgeous spacecraft and had to skimp on the staffing. That moderate criticism aside, it's still very good science fiction, and I'm very much looking forward to its 2017 sequel. Expand
  8. Nov 9, 2014
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    Unlike many people, I highly enjoyed Prometheus. It has a confusing story so you can try to figure it out yourself instead of the director spoon feeding us information. Prometheus is a great movie with solid characters and stunning visuals. Never once did I feel bored in this movie. 8/10 (great)
  10. Mar 29, 2015
    Prometheus is definitely the "prequel" to the Alien films in that the sets, story, and even the character names are taken directly from the trilogy. Scott must have wanted to avoid the dreaded prequel brand that seems to infuriate most fans, but this one is really good! Prometheus is what going to the movies is about: 2 hours of action, thrills, scares, and jaw dropping special effects!
  11. May 23, 2015
    I have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever toI have watched this movie a couple times and I understand the criticism. Some of the characters make stupid decisions and some parts are just...well, stupid. Still, I liked the movie. It was suspenseful, imaginative(with good CGI), and it drew on Alien in a lot of ways (that's meant as a compliment). Too bad they're apparently not making a sequel (either that or they're taking forever to do so). Well, like it or not, that's my opinion. Expand
  12. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue doesn't seem to come from an organic place. It's the subtlest breaking of the fourth wall. The non-sequitir, delivered by the father, who in that instant, perhaps, temporally serves in the capacity of a ventriloquist's dummy playing, for dialectical purposes, the devil's advocate, could be the linchpin of understanding the abounding vagaries in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, the 2011 award-winning film that, as a result, was misinterpreted by literal-minded moviegoers who wanted the film to align perfectly with other Christian-minded ilk, most of which account for, without any provocation from an ancillary voice abetting a polar ideology, the existence of God. In a diner, the filmmaker interjects on the father's behalf(Mr. O'Brien has the filmic spirit), when after having just harassed the waitress about her slow service, he asks his boys: "Subjective point-of-view, you know the difference?" It's a rhetorical question, of course. Jack, in particular, knows better not to speak while his father is pontificating. "Subjective," the failed musician explains, "means it comes from your mind. It can't be proven." It's Malick himself, not Jack's dad, who pontificates against the film's seemingly didactic perspective that God created the universe. Consider the signs and syntax. Rendered in Kubrick's film language, with a start, we realize how the whispered petitioning of the mother and her eldest son to God could, in fact, be in complete discordance with the cosmic imagery. Are they speaking to the void? After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey, advocated science. Unmistakably atheist, the "Dawn of Man" sequence featured monkeys, our progenitors, as an afirmation of evolution, a theory first put forward by Charles Darwin. The absence of monkeys from the timeline in The Tree of Life would seem to be promoting a creationist take on man's origins, especially if you factor in the illustrated monkeys from the storybook(read: evolution is made-up) that the mother delivers to her three malleable sons. And yet, the 1968 sci-fi classic gets slyly evoked in the violent actions of a boy, the neighborhood gang's ringleader, who like the monkey that employs an antelope bone in order to smash things, also refashions a found object as a weapon, some piece of wood, which he brings down repeatedly on a garbage can. Science fiction(which, here, would later become science fact) is addressed more directly in the next scene, when Jack, galvanized by the potential for space exploration through the covert reading at night of a Jack Coogan and Fletcher Pratt book, helps launch a frog into the air via rocket, killing this proto-astronaut, and God, in the process. Although By Spaceship to the Moon precludes alien life forms, speculative fiction, as a general rule, is thematically secular, which begs the question: Is there a God in The Tree of Life? For sure, his holiness, has no hand in The Exploding Chest of Life(aka Alien). "Oh, God!" cries Lambert, the bloodied chief navigator of the Nostromo, as the xenomorph comes bursting through Kane's pulmonary cavity. Even if her lament was more than the mere cursing of an atheist, like Jack's mother, whose similarly phrased entreaty concerning her dead son goes unanswered, Lambert would come to realize that nobody can hear you scream. Heaven isn't listening. Vasquez(from Aliens), presumably, a Christian, because of the cross she wears around her neck, can afford to be religious, since the butchy-looking soldier's compeers are mercenaries like herself, not scientists. The private dies in a self-triggered air shaft blast, alongside Lt. Golman, no doubt comforted by the reassuring concept of ascension. As it turns out, in Prometheus, the sideways sequel to the original, we learn that the fighting between man and alien throughout the series is a sort of civil war. Vasquez's faith never gets tested. The soldier never learns that she had a hand in gunning down her maker's children, the mutated ancestors of mankind. In Prometheus, despite the fact that a startling series of events conclusively proves both the theologians and the evolutionists wrong, Elizabeth retrieves her cross from David, even though the relic lost its original meaning. She tells the android, "It's what I choose to believe," subjectivist words that sound naive, since the diegetic world of Prometheus lacks the fluidity innate in The Tree of Life filmscape, where God and science duke it out for adherents. Science, arguably, wins in the final sequence. Jack, by all appearances, works in a building more exciting than the one in Being John Malkovich. Instead of finding a portal that leads to the seat of the famous actor's consciousness, Jack, while riding the elevator, gets sucked into a wormhole, where he is reunited with his family, tricked out as their younger selves. Only as a young woman, can the mother let go of her maternal pain. Like Elizabeth, she invents a heaven. Expand
  13. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    If you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problemIf you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problem with the movie was we really don't get a good grasp what is or was the bad guy or what the point of anything is during the whole film. They casually throw a couple of twists here and there and it all falls a little flat. However, if you were able to disregard a bunch of muck including poorly written lines and some incredibly stupid and unrealistic actions taken by the side characters and just followed the protagonist grueling battle to stay alive it's overall a fairly good albeit confusing movie experience. Expand
  15. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspensefulPrometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspenseful movie. The horror just isn't there, and the charm of the classic and masterful Alien is no where to be seen. At its highest points, you can really feel for a character and the plight of the ship itself, but most of the characters in general give barely any good reason to care for them. David is by far the best of them, making you feel like you know him then suddenly he changes and will keep you guessing. In the visuals department, this is a fantastic looking movie, with even the barren wasteland of the planet they are on seem interesting at every angle. Beyond that though, this movie is just not up being called an "alien prequel" because the mention of anything Xenomorph at all is scarce. Am i excited to see where this will go? Yes. But is this on par with one of the greatest horror classics? Not in the slightest. Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien.I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    I did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances wereI did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances were mostly great, beautiful cinematography and design, but I left the cinema puzzled. In most cases being puzzled after watching a film is indicative that the movie raised great questions and the film itself was really good, but in this case I just felt it was lazy story writing/telling. Death and dealing with death/mortality is one of the biggest subjects, but really everything said sounded heard before and half-baked. Religion is the other subject - with nothing worth remembering from what is said about it in the movie (cross gets a prominent screen time; faith/do you have faith/do you believe mentions as well; references to relationship to the god/creator are everywhere). Creation vs. destruction, new vs. old, father vs. son, creator/creation, losing parents/killing parents, androids yearning to have a soul -- all these topics seem to be raised just for the sake of raising them (sounds deep) and none of them are dealt with in an interesting way.
    Having in mind the amount of hype that preceded the film it seems to me that much of the actual story was left for the sequel and this summer viewers had to get to know the context, freshen up on the Alien references and get used to Scott's visuals.
    It's a shame because overall the story has had great potentials, actors were great, visual effects and cinematography were stunning.
  18. drm
    Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK. Let me preface this review with a couple of facts. The original 'Alien' is a masterpiece. That movie scared the hell out of me as a 7 year old. I'd read the book, so I'd coerced my parents to take me to the movie. Sigourney Weaver had a lot to do with that, because she's a really good actress. Prometheus just doesn't quite hit the mark. It's a good, fun, well-detailed movie to watch, but gets flaccid toward the end. I don't blame Ridley for any of this. I blame **** 'Lost' writers for this. Guys who sit up at Comicon panels every year and say, "We're not going do anything that stupid", and then they do. Nice one. There are glaring plot holes in this thing, mainly concerning the evidence left behind from a previous expedition, an escape suite, an escape pod, other fully functional alien spacecraft lying about, and all sorts of unseen wreckage, that the cast from the '79 cast should've seen bold as day. I thought the "Engineer" aliens being near-human was a total lazy cop-out too. It was unnecessary. Weyland wasn't Lance Henriksen, which creates some other problems, and the artificial person really broke with canon for more reasons than I care to count. Despite all it's flaws, I did have fun watching it. It's delightful to look at, but it isn't an 'Alien' movie. Ridley...you need to start writing this stuff yourself. You're better at it than these lousy, lifestyle, wanna-be nerd hacks. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2012
    Firstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too manyFirstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too many problems unanswered. I actually burst out laughing in a few places as dialogue was stolen from other movies. Expand
  20. Jun 12, 2012
    This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer.This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer. The visuals (cgi and all) were certainly beautiful, and the acting was spot on as well. The main flaws in this movie were the editing and it seemed a bit corny at times to me, and it didn't seem to answer any questions either, i left the movie slightly confused, but overall this movie was slightly over par, but not by much, and if you are a fan of the alien franchise its worth the admission, but if you haven't even seen the alien films, you will have no idea whats going on. 6.5/10 Expand
  21. Jun 9, 2012
    Go and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that aGo and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that a director of Scott's capabilities could possibly have put together such a vacuous story. I can only assume that the ageing Ridley is fretting about What Lies Beyond and is either wholly cynical about mankind, or melancholic at the thought that man's quest for purpose and meaning in life is as fruitless as Shaw's quest for the aliens depicted in ancient man's primitive paintings. Or both. Of course, he could just have been fretting that he failed to make Alien anything more than a 'boo' movie so decided to invest Prometheus with the significance that critics claim was missing from his 1979 masterpiece. I've not read any critic who has actually explored the significance of David's modelling of himself on TE Lawrence. Is it to show that David has chosen a deeply flawed model, and thereby given himself a Sisyphean task? He'll never be a warm human while he chooses to emulate one of life's most famous Outsiders. Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw Prometheus on opening day in IMAX. I really was drawn in at first but felt like there needed to be more, like an hour more of backstory. Like was this the Weyland from the Aliens movies? or is this his father? Many questions left unanswered except for one, we helped create the Alien. I like many other yearn for more. Do I smell a sequel? Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    A major debate that underlies the film is what's interesting, what I believed was supposed to be the question of Religion Vs Science, Creationism Vs Evolution. Unfortunately the film doesn't really do much with it. Apart from that the film offers a few interesting new ideas to the Alien story and of course the gorgeous visuals and a few expected scares.

Overall this film was enjoyable to

Overall this film was enjoyable to watch but just fell short of being a great film, it seems as if there were missing scenes, if not then some lazy story telling but I find the later hard to believe coming from a seasoned director.

Fully expecting a much more coherent directors cut some time in the future. I hope that the film wasn't chopped up on purpose just to push more BluRay sales.
  24. Jul 7, 2012
    Prometheus is a good film and a definate prequel that deserve to be in Ridley Scott's universe. Perhaps the best aspect of Pormetheus would have to be the special effects and art direction, it is very well made from the aliens to the landscapes explored, it is just marvelous. The acting is top-notch especially Michael Fassbender's android character and it easily and enjoyable (albeit atPrometheus is a good film and a definate prequel that deserve to be in Ridley Scott's universe. Perhaps the best aspect of Pormetheus would have to be the special effects and art direction, it is very well made from the aliens to the landscapes explored, it is just marvelous. The acting is top-notch especially Michael Fassbender's android character and it easily and enjoyable (albeit at times disgusting) movie. The movie isn't too much reliant on scares but that is alright because the movie is still gripping. The main problem I had with the movie was the fact that it raised several intriguing questions yet the movie never answers them and you are left trying to figure it all out without a good conclusion. But all in all, Prometheus was a good movie that was definately worth watching. Score: 7.0 out of 10. Expand
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    Well when Prometheus was announced some time ago I was more than a little excited, one because Alien is one of my all time favourite movies, and two Ridley Scott was directing. All these added together was more than enough to send my anticipation into a frenzy, then the first trailer came out. Oh my lord, that was it, I had to see this film at all costs.

Then something happened, another

Then something happened, another trailer was released, then another, then another. Then viral videos, then behind the scenes stuff, then more trailers. Then I kinda guessed the storyline and the outcome of the film, and now I've seen it, I was by and large correct. The marketing over load on this film, may have been overkill. Such a shame because the teaser trailer was so promising, but I did still go and watch it and I did still enjoy the film despite guessing the storyline.

Without giving too much away the film is set a few years before the original Alien film and explores the origin of mankind to the far reaches of space, but what they found may not be what they were expecting. One thing that did baffle me slightly was the technology used in the film, it made the future technology seem redundant, as the past seems far better equipped than the future, odd. But then this is both a positive and a negative, the positive being the film looks absolutely stunning, the set pieces are beautiful and detailed, the CGI is fabulous and photo realistic and virtually everything - down to the nearest speck of dust - looks good.

The cast is a nice mix, but character development is missing on most of the crew. The vast majority of them are totally forgettable, so you feel very little for them, something that is usually fatal in a "horror" film. But the main guys are great in their roles; Noomi Repace is well cast, though not a scratch on the Ellen Ripley character. Charlize Theron is fine in her cold commanding officer role, but is totally under utilised. But Michael Fassbender is on terrific form and completely steals the show, as the synthetic David.

Where my main issue with Prometheus lies is in its similarity with Alien, its more of remake than a prequel in a way. Thats not to say its exactly the same as Alien, but it feels oddly familiar and strangely lacking in originality despite trying its best to be original. The idea of the crew of Prometheus searching for mankind is very interesting, but in the end comes off as redundant and kinda lame. It tries to steer the film down a certain path, but it comes off more as ridiculous than ingenious. In the end you know what's going to happen which is another problem, and there is no real payoff at the end of the film. Not only that the film seriously lacks scares, the music is too loud and in your face. There is no gentle creeping and no silence to keep you on edge. The film therefore comes across more as a bad action film, than a good horror.

The trouble is Prometheus tried to distance itself from Alien and in doing so made itself less believable and predictable. But in a weird way I did like how they did it, could it have been better, hell yes, but did I ultimately enjoy the film, hell yes.

Prometheus isn't the masterpiece it set out to be. Its not as creepy and horrific as Alien and not as thrilling as Aliens, though it does have its own merits away from the franchise. If a sequel is made I won't be queueing round the block to see it, but I do want to come back for more. So despite a bit of mixed bag, I would still highly recommend Prometheus.
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    Prometheus is a true prequel to Alien but not of the same caliber. Great cinematography but as hyped as this movie was, it fell short because of a serious number of plot holes and things that were left unanswered. If your the type of person that is in it for the suspense and entertainment then you will be satisfied but if you find yourself asking questions your gonna find no answers.
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    Definitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into theDefinitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into the narrative of the film, and while I can see how it would be necessary, I could have done without it. It felt generic and cliche'. It felt, honestly, a little too family friendly at that point. The film is driving home a hard hitting point, and I felt that the "faith" talk was a way of patting the audience on the head and saying "there, there, no need to fret!" I don't know, maybe that's just me. If you are looking for a hardcore prequel to Alien, then you will also be disappointed. The story is very much its own. It's a good watch, and even a good buy, but I felt it had an identity crisis at times and failed to really drive home its message with confidence. The acting is pretty superb. Fassbender and Theron knock it out of the park. I really love Charlize Theron. She is one of the few "cross over" actors who I feel really have earned their stripes, and she is hands down one of the most beautiful women alive today. Expand
  28. Jun 15, 2012
    I can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will notI can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will not discuss so I don't spoil it, but the last scene I believe was thrown in their to please fans or to stir up emotions for a sequel nothing more, nothing less. The film is very slow paced but fascinating and captivating at the same time, your looking forward to some action happening. The film does not have any immediate action sequences nor is a action/adventure or horror film. It is mostly scifi film about finding our creators and finding the meaning of our existence and I found it dry and lack luster but the after I left I couldn't help but think the message of the film is essential and it fascinated me. A great film for many but some may find it boring. Expand
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end),Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end), treated in a hasty and pretentious, new-age-ish way, which is quite a shame for a picture with a tonn of small resemblances with the genre's classics (think of 2001: Space Odyssey, Blade Runner or, more recently, Mission to Mars etc.) and books (In the Mountain of Madness, some hints at King Lear's parental drama). It seems to me that after 30 years of absence from sci-fi universe Ridley Scott wanted to tell us everything, ending with telling us nothing in specific. 6/10 for the plot, boosted to 7/10 due to great technical elements. Expand
  30. Jun 15, 2012
    An entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or aAn entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or a 10 claim that there are no holes (or you are stupid) and that this is an instant classic. The other group sees the gapping holes and silly character interactions and fail to see the aesthetic value of this movie. Lets be frank here, there are plot holes big enough that you can't formulate educated theories around. This is not as smart of a movie as it tries to be. The characters do not act realistically on numerous occasions and it breaks the immersion. However, every other part of the movie is very pleasing to the eyes and entertaining. Fassbender is the highlight of the movie and the movie is at its best when hes on screen. The movie throws in some fan service at the end that blatantly tries to connect it to alien, but fails to evoke more than a "wtf" pause. This movie is definitely worth a watch if you are a sci-fi fan, but make no mistake, this is no Inception in the "smart movie" department. An enjoyable, but frustrating experience. 7 out of 10. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.