Proof

7.0

1. HeatherW
    Dec 6, 2005
    This is one of those movies that makes me wish I'd waited for DVD. It wasn't "bad," but it wasn't "good" either. It was safe and tepid and predictable. Competent and not-bad acting, but nothing exciting or relevatory. I think I've decided that Paltrow really isn't that great an actor, although she's neither bad nor annoying. But that's hardly glowing This is one of those movies that makes me wish I'd waited for DVD. It wasn't "bad," but it wasn't "good" either. It was safe and tepid and predictable. Competent and not-bad acting, but nothing exciting or relevatory. I think I've decided that Paltrow really isn't that great an actor, although she's neither bad nor annoying. But that's hardly glowing praise. Anyway. Not an exceptional movie. Perhaps the play was better. Expand
  2. AdamH.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Paltrow is good, Hope Davis is outstanding, but the movie is fairly mediocre. I would have preferred less of Hopkins as the father (who seemed too well-groomed for a mad genius) and more of the very believable sister dynamic.
  3. ChrisK.
    Sep 25, 2005
    Paltrow as a math hidden math genius? Come on. Also, some of the scenes require a suspension of belief that is just unbelivable. Prefer a few others.
  4. JeffM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The movie, while well acted, suffers from an insurmountable problem: Gwyneth Paltrow's character is unbelievably annoying. I could not buy that Gyllenhaal was that interested in her, since I really looked forward to scenes without her in it, which are few and far between.
  5. May 29, 2011
    Great actors in a movie out of standard due to its excellent script, where Mathematics is the relation that binds the peculiar characters of the plot. Although I am suspect to say because Mathematics is my least exact science! I recommend it though! The main three characters did a spectacular job with the script which has been given to them. "The future of cold is infinite. The future ofGreat actors in a movie out of standard due to its excellent script, where Mathematics is the relation that binds the peculiar characters of the plot. Although I am suspect to say because Mathematics is my least exact science! I recommend it though! The main three characters did a spectacular job with the script which has been given to them. "The future of cold is infinite. The future of heat is the future of cold". Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Proof is on the side of the lost, blessed souls. Paltrow, as alluring and reassuring as ever, emphasizes the blessedness in the isolation of genius, giving a new dimension to a complex role. New, true and thrilling--she is the Catherine that Proof was waiting for.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    But despite less-than-ideal casting of the male roles, and a tendency to soften the Pulitzer Prize-winning work's thorny humor with a more sober tone, director John Madden has woven together an elegant, intelligent drama of a breed increasingly rare in mainstream American movies.
    Madden directed Paltrow in the play on the London stage, but he does his "Shakespeare in Love" goddess no favors by filling the screen with big close-ups that betray the theatrical origins of the piece and drain the movie of life and urgency. Proof hasn't been filmed at all -- it's been embalmed.