Proof

7.0

1. LuntS.
    Sep 25, 2005
    The people who made this movie have clearly not done a math problem in their entire lives. Terrible.
  2. DanaM.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Entertaining film. Worth seeng but does not deserve a 10 rating. No film deserves a ten rating or a zero at that. A tad depressing and frustrating but madness will do that to folks. Timeline at times a little confusing but overall well acted and directed.
  3. HeatherW
    Dec 6, 2005
    This is one of those movies that makes me wish I'd waited for DVD. It wasn't "bad," but it wasn't "good" either. It was safe and tepid and predictable. Competent and not-bad acting, but nothing exciting or relevatory. I think I've decided that Paltrow really isn't that great an actor, although she's neither bad nor annoying. But that's hardly glowing This is one of those movies that makes me wish I'd waited for DVD. It wasn't "bad," but it wasn't "good" either. It was safe and tepid and predictable. Competent and not-bad acting, but nothing exciting or relevatory. I think I've decided that Paltrow really isn't that great an actor, although she's neither bad nor annoying. But that's hardly glowing praise. Anyway. Not an exceptional movie. Perhaps the play was better. Expand
  4. PennyE.
    Sep 18, 2005
    I thought it was a most intelligent film and Paltrow was brilliantly directed by Madden.
  5. AdamH.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Paltrow is good, Hope Davis is outstanding, but the movie is fairly mediocre. I would have preferred less of Hopkins as the father (who seemed too well-groomed for a mad genius) and more of the very believable sister dynamic.
  6. RichardS
    Oct 2, 2005
    Absolutely one of the best movies of the year, and a tremendous performance by Paltrow. I was astounded at how well the play translated onto the screen with minimal changes, but without feeing stagy. Hopkins was also very good at what portraying someone with an undetermined madness (probably *not* schizophrenia); his physical presence gave the performance just the right touch. The only Absolutely one of the best movies of the year, and a tremendous performance by Paltrow. I was astounded at how well the play translated onto the screen with minimal changes, but without feeing stagy. Hopkins was also very good at what portraying someone with an undetermined madness (probably *not* schizophrenia); his physical presence gave the performance just the right touch. The only "complaint" my wife gave was that you came away not hating Hope Davis's character quite enough. Expand
  7. FrankS.
    Oct 23, 2005
    I thought Gwyneth did a sensational job of showng the fringe between genius and sanity.
  8. SusanM.
    Oct 28, 2005
    This is one of the nest movies I have seen in such a long time. Gwyneth is once again AMAZING! And Anthony Hopkins is brilliant as well. A really impressive conversion of stage show to movie. I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't want it to end. John Madden is a very talented director.
  9. JacobB.
    Sep 17, 2005
    Simply fantastic.
  10. ChrisK.
    Sep 25, 2005
    Paltrow as a math hidden math genius? Come on. Also, some of the scenes require a suspension of belief that is just unbelivable. Prefer a few others.
  11. MikeB.
    Sep 8, 2005
    Best film of the year! Gwyneth's performance deserves an oscar.
  12. Jen
    Mar 31, 2006
    Generally well acted and directed, but kind of dull. Paltrow's a little over the top in parts and not terribly believable as a math genius.
  13. TonyB.
    Apr 5, 2006
    This is a very intelligently written film that will unfortunately appeal mainly to a specific and rather small audience. It is well acted by Anthony Hopkins and by Jake Gylenhall, who is not miscast as some of the critics insist. The real acting honors, however, go to Gynneth Paltrow and Hope Davis, who, especially when they are in the same scenes, are just about perfect.
  14. JeffM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The movie, while well acted, suffers from an insurmountable problem: Gwyneth Paltrow's character is unbelievably annoying. I could not buy that Gyllenhaal was that interested in her, since I really looked forward to scenes without her in it, which are few and far between.
  15. 2Roads
    Jun 3, 2007
    A must see story for those living in the metaphorical house of quandary while caretaking a loved one. "How many days have I lost?
  16. EllenS.
    Sep 23, 2005
    I really enjoyed this film. Gwyneth Paltrow -- for once not made up to be the perfect American blonde beauty -- gives a great performance as the sad but ultimately determined heroine. Jake Gyllenhaal is very entertaining as an incredibly good looking math geek (that could happen, right?) and Hope Davis was so convincing as the ambitious, ultra organized and controlling big sister that I I really enjoyed this film. Gwyneth Paltrow -- for once not made up to be the perfect American blonde beauty -- gives a great performance as the sad but ultimately determined heroine. Jake Gyllenhaal is very entertaining as an incredibly good looking math geek (that could happen, right?) and Hope Davis was so convincing as the ambitious, ultra organized and controlling big sister that I nearly reached through the screen to punch her out. It was an interesting and often surprisng story, well worth a trip to the theater but it will play well in the home theater down the line. Expand
    Gorgeous.
  18. JennyE.
    Feb 16, 2006
    I enjoyed this film more than most films I watch. Paltrow and Davis shine in a very real sister relationship. There is enough mystery to keep you interested, and emotionally involved right to the end. The ending, while not totally satisfying, was realistic. I didn't want the story to end. Very well done by all invoved !
  19. SharonB.
    Jun 18, 2006
    Great job by Gwyneth Paltrow. Would like to know more about this complicated family.
  20. May 29, 2011
    Great actors in a movie out of standard due to its excellent script, where Mathematics is the relation that binds the peculiar characters of the plot. Although I am suspect to say because Mathematics is my least exact science! I recommend it though! The main three characters did a spectacular job with the script which has been given to them. "The future of cold is infinite. The future ofGreat actors in a movie out of standard due to its excellent script, where Mathematics is the relation that binds the peculiar characters of the plot. Although I am suspect to say because Mathematics is my least exact science! I recommend it though! The main three characters did a spectacular job with the script which has been given to them. "The future of cold is infinite. The future of heat is the future of cold". Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    Una pelicula brillante, enigmatica y muy bien planeada para mantener al espectador pendiente de lo que iva a suceder. Muy buenas actuacion esteleres en especial de Gwyneth Paltrow y Anthony Hopkins

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Proof is on the side of the lost, blessed souls. Paltrow, as alluring and reassuring as ever, emphasizes the blessedness in the isolation of genius, giving a new dimension to a complex role. New, true and thrilling--she is the Catherine that Proof was waiting for.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    But despite less-than-ideal casting of the male roles, and a tendency to soften the Pulitzer Prize-winning work's thorny humor with a more sober tone, director John Madden has woven together an elegant, intelligent drama of a breed increasingly rare in mainstream American movies.
    Madden directed Paltrow in the play on the London stage, but he does his "Shakespeare in Love" goddess no favors by filling the screen with big close-ups that betray the theatrical origins of the piece and drain the movie of life and urgency. Proof hasn't been filmed at all -- it's been embalmed.