P.S. I Love You

6.9

1. RyanC.
    Dec 31, 2007
    If there's a strength to this movie, I sure as he'll didn't see it.
    Jul 19, 2009
    I'm a guy who usually doesn't mind romantic comedies. I've found that how much I like a particular rom-com depends upon the comedy and chemistry of the lead characters. In the case of "P.S.", I did not buy into the story one ounce, and I didn't think there was any chemistry between the main characters. It's much too sappy and thick to do without chemistry.
  3. BillH.
    Apr 5, 2008
    I just watched this film while strapped into an airline seat from Philly to Denver. This movie was so bad, so tedius, and so obviously written solely as a big-screen version of Days of our Lives that I honestly considered unbolting the door and jumping out at 38,000 feet lest I sit through yet another sappy scene. On the other hand, I did think Lisa Kudrow turned in a decent job of acting.
  4. NoraR.
    Jan 3, 2008
    If you are looking for a sensitive movie which is human but humorous on the topic of loss and moving on, dont go to this! Its really crass and awful. It probably doesnt help, that Im Irish, and I found the fake badly-acted Irish accents just added insult to injury. There was no sense of the devastating bereavement and loneliness that comes with the unexpected loss of a young man. In fact If you are looking for a sensitive movie which is human but humorous on the topic of loss and moving on, dont go to this! Its really crass and awful. It probably doesnt help, that Im Irish, and I found the fake badly-acted Irish accents just added insult to injury. There was no sense of the devastating bereavement and loneliness that comes with the unexpected loss of a young man. In fact the only person who appeared to miss this dead man (on occasions) was his widow. And even as a chick-flick, the characters were stereotyped beyond human recognition. The needy girlfriend the cold man-hunting best friend.... Often chick-lit stereotypes the men, but this one went one further and did the same to the girls.... I could only recommend this to females who are really hung over and in want of a little eye candy..... (if you can endure the mind-numbing embarrassing scenes in between.) You have some hope of enjoying this if you fancy one of the three v fine looking (including the extraordinarily healthy looking dead guy) but it may help further if you turn the sound down. Expand
  5. BuzzB
    Feb 8, 2008
    People cried?? I nearly cried at the excruciating tedium of having to sit through this. Butler was smarmy and unconvincing. Hilary Swank only had two expressions - a huge grin or bawling her eyes out - both of which looked almost identical. Hopeless, contrived script. Lisa Kudrow should not be on the big screen - ever. Only Harry Connick jr. had an interesting part. I'm not against People cried?? I nearly cried at the excruciating tedium of having to sit through this. Butler was smarmy and unconvincing. Hilary Swank only had two expressions - a huge grin or bawling her eyes out - both of which looked almost identical. Hopeless, contrived script. Lisa Kudrow should not be on the big screen - ever. Only Harry Connick jr. had an interesting part. I'm not against Rom Coms - I actually like them if they're any good. This one isn't. Expand
  6. SteveJ
    Jan 5, 2008
    It can't be a cooincidence that most of the high user reviews for this sappy mess of a chick flick come from chicks. The rest of the women used male name pseudonyms so they would not be found out. No self respecting man could watch this movie and give it a ten. If he did he would have to turn in his man card immediately and go purchase a sleeveless spandex shirt and hot pants. I gave It can't be a cooincidence that most of the high user reviews for this sappy mess of a chick flick come from chicks. The rest of the women used male name pseudonyms so they would not be found out. No self respecting man could watch this movie and give it a ten. If he did he would have to turn in his man card immediately and go purchase a sleeveless spandex shirt and hot pants. I gave it a chance for the sake of my wife. An olive branch for my future piece (if you know what I mean) and harmony. I like Harry C and Swank is typically good but this whole movie seemed very forced. Perhaps it needed Meg Ryan or Reece Witherspoon, Swank just didn't quite pull it off. The gist seemed to be, cram every sappy sentimental and uber gooey goodness into two hours and you will have it. By the end it was a bit much. I can get that time back, save yourself, save yourself!!! Expand
  7. Georgina
    Feb 1, 2008
    I read the book and loved it and watched the film and loved it! I think it's heart warming, endearing, and although it's hard to believe there are really guys like Gerry in the real world...A girl can dream can't she...Really liked it and think Hillary was awesome!
  8. MikeP.
    Feb 19, 2008
    This movie touched me!
  9. EJ
    May 10, 2008
    With all the crap that has come out lately I thought this was a refreshing movie with a great cast.
  10. NanA.
    May 30, 2008
    Did anyone read the New York Times review of this film? It was actually worse than the film, comparing Hillary Swak (mostly unfavorably) to Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford, stating that Crawford would have eaten Swank for breakfast...Ditto for Pauline Kael and this P.K. wanna be reviewer! This film is a thinly-disguised, twisted attempt to creat a gender bender re-make of 1982's Did anyone read the New York Times review of this film? It was actually worse than the film, comparing Hillary Swak (mostly unfavorably) to Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford, stating that Crawford would have eaten Swank for breakfast...Ditto for Pauline Kael and this P.K. wanna be reviewer! This film is a thinly-disguised, twisted attempt to creat a gender bender re-make of 1982's Kiss Me Goodbye, itself a diluted version of Bruno Barreto's Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands. The "dialogue" is insipid and screams that contemporary Holywood writers read only the prose on cereal boxes, and probably only make it through eighth grade. The women were cardboard drag queen creations of misogynist writers and director, while the men were lame hyper-"charming" and "masculine" leprechauns auditioning to be Chippendales. Nobody, no matter how talented, could have shone in this freakish film. The only tears we shed were for the time we spent watching it. Hillary Swank's Robocop one facial expression (complete with lockjaw, angry eyes and simian grimace ) seemed to convey grief and pleasure equally. The Joker in Batman was more nuanced and evoked more emotions from the audience. Expand
  11. BryanC
    Jun 20, 2008
    The premise was cliche indeed, but the characters honesty about the situation was endearing to a fault. Every time I thought something was silly, so did the characters. I'm a hetero man, I watched it with my wife and we both loved it. Harry Connick junior was fantastic.
  12. Maire
    Jun 9, 2008
    an UNREAL film. the critics obviously are blind to see that it was a gripping film.
  13. AinsleyM.
    Jan 14, 2008
    It was amazing. I have never enjoyed a film so much. It takes a lot to make me cry and this film did it. I could watch it over and over.
  14. HeidiC.
    Jan 26, 2008
    bad, its just so boring!!! i fell asleep halfway through! I read the book and they changed half of the story( by the way the book was ssooooo good!!!).
  15. MelissaJ.
    Jan 28, 2008
    Great film. Curious how these critics define good filmmaking (and if they consider Rambo a good example). The script and acting were brilliant, but it is pretty emotionally heavy. Contrary to what some have said, I believe Swank was perfect for this role. Character development was excellent. A definite must see.
  16. AmandaM
    Jan 3, 2008
    10+++ Critics don't know what they are talking about. I've already seen it twice. It really captures human emotion in it's purest, real form. I found myself crying and I rarely cry at movies. I will buy this the day it comes out on DVD!!
  17. SarrahS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    This was a great movie. I cried and laughed throughout, and haven't seen a movie that spurred such emotion in me in a while. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I absolutely loved it. I felt close to the characters, and the director and actors did a great job in the first 20 minutes of the film helping the audience fall in love with the characters so that we could be involved throughout the This was a great movie. I cried and laughed throughout, and haven't seen a movie that spurred such emotion in me in a while. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I absolutely loved it. I felt close to the characters, and the director and actors did a great job in the first 20 minutes of the film helping the audience fall in love with the characters so that we could be involved throughout the movie. The soundtrack was great as well. Not surprised that the critics didn't like it, since I generally don't agree with the critics. See this movie. It's wonderful. Expand
  18. AramisG.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Hallmarks version of mourning. So bad you will be exhausted and fatigued every time another sentimental love song kicks in.
  19. LauraW.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Awesome film! I lost count of how many times I cried!
  20. Chad
    Feb 4, 2008
    my girlfriend and i were extremely excited to go watch this and weren't disappointed in the least bit. p.s is sad and often depressing but at the same time its cute and funny. easily the best of this genre since the notebook and will hopefully become as popular as the notebook in the long run.
  21. Rubi
    Mar 1, 2008
    this movie was ever so creative i enjoyed it to the fullest!! i cried through the whole movie and was amazed at the little details that were included in. one of my fave.s!!!
  22. JayH.
    May 1, 2008
    5.5/10. The terrific cast can't save this sappy romance. If the movie wasn't so over sentimental, I would have enjoyed it more. It's too corny at times. I enjoyed the cast though, everyone did well.
  23. AlastairP.
    Jul 9, 2008
    I was surprised at the big laughs that I got. Sure, it was contrived, but it still provided a romantic good time. It's a movie that won't offend anyone .
  24. CHRISR.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Great cinematography; very charming film.
  25. MikeC.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Diregard all colorful commentary , It actually has good message for grief.
  26. FabianM.
    Jan 13, 2008
    I hope everyone knows that the only reason that the person who wrote the book got a contract is because she is none other than the daughter of the Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Bertie Aherne and thus holds considerable sway in the world, same goes for this film. Avoid!
  27. DavidN.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Guys!!!! Take your girlfriends and make sure you have condoms ready afterwards. She'll be all over you.
  28. LynneV
    Jan 2, 2008
    I loved the story line. Very creative and touching. However, I wish the director would have provided us with more details along the way to help us grasp more easily. I got the warm and fuzzy but it could have been that much better! Very well casted! Great talent in this movie; Hillary blew me away !
  29. Jackie
    Jan 23, 2008
    This film is beautifully done I don't know how anyone can't believe in love after seeing this movie. Gerard Butler gives an Oscar worthy performance.
  30. KarenM
    Oct 30, 2008
    I thought this movie was amazing. The movie drew me in right from the beginning. I defiantly cried through most of it, but always made many laughs. It had a good balance between it being a romantic comedy with this tragic love story involved. The whole story was very clever and romantic. It
  31. KathrynA.
    Jan 5, 2008
    What is the matter with critics today? Have they all had their hearts surgically removed? P.S. I Love You is a truly charming film, well acted, well directed, with a wonderful script. It was not "sappy" at all. In fact, it deals quite truthfully with the subject of coming to terms with the pain of loss, and does so in a truly engaging way. Forget the critics; see this film.
  32. AmyG
    Jan 6, 2008
    Gerard Butler's irish accent is woefully inaccurate, just one of the films many flaws; chief among which is the absence of a narrative arc or any sense of plot direction. The result is a ponderous and interminable mish-mash.
  33. LoriS
    May 18, 2008
    The 9s and 10s here smell like spam!! let's keep metacritic honest, people. if your movie's bad, suck it up and make a better movie next time.
  34. KylieM.
    May 23, 2008
    I watched this movie while my husband was deployed to Iraq--not a good idea :) BUT it is my all time favorite movie. i still sob everytime i watch it...its simply amazing.
  35. BennyB.
    May 24, 2008
    GIMME MY $10 BUCKS BACK!!! Enough sap to make a batch of maple syrup. Absolutely nothing good about this movie. Felt a little nausea coming on after the first 30 minutes. If I can prevent one more person from rewarding anyone involved with this horrible movie project then I have helped make the world a better place.
  36. SonitaL.
    May 29, 2008
    I love this movie! It's like the saddest of all movie! Beside i think Gerard Butler look way hotter without the beard in 300! Anyway still love him with that Irish accent!
  37. SarahF.
    May 30, 2008
    I liked this movie and i thought it was cute.yeah, it wasn't all that perfect because many parts werent from the book. all in all, it was alright.
  38. GypsyS.
    May 7, 2008
    What a wonderful romantic comedy. A little humor, a little sadness, and overall, a great story. Perhaps a "chick flick", but to me, anyone would enjoy it. I would rate this movie a 10, except it isn't really a great piece of work, just a nice watch. I saw it at the theatre, and now will rent it to enjoy again. Oh, for you men out there.... my husband didn't like it nearly as What a wonderful romantic comedy. A little humor, a little sadness, and overall, a great story. Perhaps a "chick flick", but to me, anyone would enjoy it. I would rate this movie a 10, except it isn't really a great piece of work, just a nice watch. I saw it at the theatre, and now will rent it to enjoy again. Oh, for you men out there.... my husband didn't like it nearly as much as I did. Expand
  39. BarbA.
    May 7, 2008
    The "professional" reviews are so poor. Why? Seems movies should be vulgar, violent, crude, and bloody to get a good rating. Ignore the professionals, and see the movie. It's so enjoyable. A tender romance, with several great actors. You will laugh and cry during the movie, and love every minute of it. I wish more movies were like this one. It's seldom I even watch a movie anymore.
  40. ericb
    May 9, 2008
    This movie made you feel no emotion for the characters; especially Gerard Butler because he dies within the first 15 minutes of the movie. Pretty terrible.
  41. ChrisB.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Not every movie is a work of art, just like the mindless novel, the movie follows bravely. While my wife loved it, I actually chuckled a little and thought the soundtrack to be first class. So in the end and as with some films, I'm not wishing for my brain cells back.
  42. JennyS.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I thought this movie was terrible. I've never been so bored watching a movie in my entire life. I kept watching, hoping the ending would make it all worth it, but instead I just wasted over 2 hours of my life.
  43. CamilleH
    Jan 8, 2009
    Those people who tried to debase this film, I understand that your statements were your opinion but you all are just immature and can't seem to enjoy the movie for what it was....and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!
  44. SLW.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Touches elements of our emotional daily lives that we may or may not want to deal with. The work of all the actors is sublime, with Gerry Butler' "Gerry" having us fall in love with him, so that "Holly's" grief is ours, too. Supporting cast was perfect - particularly Bates and Morgan. LOVED it, in a tearful, laughing, poignant sort of way.
  45. SylvieM.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Beautiful movie!! I did not want it to end, very powerful. It made me laugh and cry, I was very satisfied!.. I don't know why the critics were so negative for this movie. I would recommend it for anyone!
  46. ChadS.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Gerry(Gerald Butler) needs to stay dead but "P.S. I Love You" keeps him alive in flashbacks and in his wife's mind. If the audience doesn't see Gerry when Holly(Hilary Swank) senses his presence, her aching need to make a connection will be all the more poignant and pathetic. "P.S. I Love You" has Lifetime Network written all over its treacly self, but an exceptionally strong Gerry(Gerald Butler) needs to stay dead but "P.S. I Love You" keeps him alive in flashbacks and in his wife's mind. If the audience doesn't see Gerry when Holly(Hilary Swank) senses his presence, her aching need to make a connection will be all the more poignant and pathetic. "P.S. I Love You" has Lifetime Network written all over its treacly self, but an exceptionally strong cast transforms painfully earnest moments into the stuff of real life(except for that scene in the fishing boat, that was "chick-flick"-hell). What goes unsaid in "P.S. I Love You" but should be obvious to the viewer is that Holly and Gerry would've been a lot happier in the latter's native Ireland than in the States. Holly could've designed shoes, and speak Gaelic. Swank didn't have the star-power to save "Freedom Writers", but she shines bright enough in "P.S. I Love You" to get away with the sort of sentimental junk I usually detest. Swank shakily warbles a drippy love song to her dearly departed on karaoke night, and gets away with it. Expand
  47. Cheryl
    Jan 13, 2008
    Loved it. Cried and laughed throughout. I would see it again. Hilliary Swank was great, don't listen to the critics.
  48. rustyr
    Dec 26, 2008
    This is the biggest piece of $hit that I have ever suffered through.
  49. DenyseM.
    Feb 25, 2008
    I loved this movie...I read the book before the movie had even came out and I feel in love with the book. When I heard that the movie was being made I knew that it was going to be awesome and it was.
  50. LuisG.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Think about every possible heatache cliche and wrap it around Gerard Butler without a shirt and you have made a sale... unfortunely thats all .. lisa kudrow and kathy bates cant do much with a script so tangled in its own absurity and neglect of brain cells in an audience to save it... one of the worst film ever
  51. MurielA.
    May 11, 2008
    A beautiful fairy tale full of truth. Critics trashed it. Viewers love it! It's a visually gorgeous, touching, yet light movie on the heavy subject of loss of a love. Absolutely believable? No, of course not. But true to the craziness of grief after losing a beloved mate. I've been through it, and so many of the feelings and actions were spot-on. I cried and had a wonderful time A beautiful fairy tale full of truth. Critics trashed it. Viewers love it! It's a visually gorgeous, touching, yet light movie on the heavy subject of loss of a love. Absolutely believable? No, of course not. But true to the craziness of grief after losing a beloved mate. I've been through it, and so many of the feelings and actions were spot-on. I cried and had a wonderful time viewing this film. Hillary shines!! Expand
  52. MegB.
    May 12, 2008
    I just thought this was an amazing movie! It had me on the floot laughing to crying my eyes out in 2.2.
  53. leanne
    May 17, 2008
    After reading the book first i did not think i would like the film but i thought that the film was better than the book, the book is more sad and morbid where as the film has comedy in it and i think that makes it better, there is a sad factor to the film but it lets you see that life is not all doom and gloom i love the film i could watch it every day.
  54. lisan
    May 25, 2008
    Cried through the entire movie. I can relate to this pain as my husband died at 29. Very touching
  55. Megan
    Jul 27, 2008
    Really good film, similar to The Notebook, quite sad though. Cried lots.
  56. JudyF.
    Dec 21, 2007
    I'm sorry the critics can't do "enjoyable". This was touching and romantic and funny and delightful.
  57. GloriaR.
    Dec 27, 2007
    It is refreshing to see comedy blended with sadness in life. It is real. It reminded me of the movie Magnolias (a beautiful film of 4 women's friendship throughout all their ordeals in life). I loved it.1 I also love Gerry.
  58. JordanN
    Dec 14, 2008
    This movie was the best I ever seen.It was touching and amazing.I cried the whole time.You should watch this movie.
  59. Dec 27, 2010
    ps. i love you is a film which really attaches you to the characters and brings tears to your eyes. It really lets you look deep into what true love is really like. In my opinion it is an outstanding film and worth seeing as soon as you can. One of the best films i have seen in years.
  60. May 29, 2011
    What makes this movie so great is if you have no expectation. Because of reviews and not thinking Hilary Swank could pull off romantic made this movie shine. She pulls it off and the movie is way better than the reviews. Tear Jerker! The shining happy moments are definitely the comedy relief Harry Connick Jr. brings. He is good in this movie... sexy... charming and hilarious. This movieWhat makes this movie so great is if you have no expectation. Because of reviews and not thinking Hilary Swank could pull off romantic made this movie shine. She pulls it off and the movie is way better than the reviews. Tear Jerker! The shining happy moments are definitely the comedy relief Harry Connick Jr. brings. He is good in this movie... sexy... charming and hilarious. This movie has a great ending and just is so beautiful. I read half the book and wow, the movie makes the book look bad. The movie is better than the book! Now I love seeing girly movies, mostly they have disappointed me or been just okay. This one was better than all the rest. Expand
  61. Nov 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was forced to watch this last weekend and it was brutal. Borderline mental illness from both the husband (who came up with the plan to torture his wife from beyond the grave) and the mother for going along with the selfish, delusional plan to "celebrate" the death by reliving old memories & traveling Ireland. Was the band mate in on the deal? 1/10 for the suspender dance (best part of the whole movie. THIS. IS. MADNESS! Expand
  62. Jul 5, 2013
    A tear-jerker..there are some really funny bits, but this film relies too much on making you "feel" (aka crying) You eventually walk out of the film having forgotten what you saw unless you are female, in which case, you will DEFINITELY remember G Butler (ah...). and not for his acting skills, at least not in this film. Both he and H Swank are below average in the acting department ofA tear-jerker..there are some really funny bits, but this film relies too much on making you "feel" (aka crying) You eventually walk out of the film having forgotten what you saw unless you are female, in which case, you will DEFINITELY remember G Butler (ah...). and not for his acting skills, at least not in this film. Both he and H Swank are below average in the acting department of this film. H Swank doesn't know whether she is suppose to be sweet, or or fragile, etc. G Butler, on the other hand, is TOO sweet to be convincing. Kathy Bates is, as always, excellent. Should have gone straight to DVD... Collapse
  63. Feb 3, 2016
    I was laughing and crying at the same time. God, this was amazing!

Watch it online for free: http://www.primewire.ag/watch-1035-PS-I-Love-You-online-free

1. FYI, there's zero chemistry between P.S. I Love You's two commodified headliners. P.S.: The plus in the harsh grade goes solely to the divine Lisa Kudrow, delivering desperately needed laughs as the twitchy widow's husband-hunting best friend.
  2. The film, written (with Steven Rogers) and directed by Richard LaGravenese, is long and drags in places. But the chief problem is that "P.S." feels like a gimmick.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    "Ghost" with a brogue, "The Notebook" without the burden of old people, this post-life comedy will have the sentimentally challenged weeping openly, while clutching desperately to the pants-legs of boyfriends and husbands who are trying to flee up the aisle.