Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 1, 2009
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 437 Ratings
WATCH NOW
avamiller21May 2, 2016
A quiet, thoughful, almost dreamy meditation on violence, on work, on love and on death. It's The Insider with tommy guns.

Check out the movie here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-17f8-Public-Enemies-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
choomtabi31Mar 3, 2016
Johnny Depp and Christian bale are good, the pacing is good, the sets and period detail are perfect.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-6136-Public-Enemies-online-free
Patrick94Dec 8, 2015
Now, I'm a sucker for anything set in the 30-50's. I just think that time period makes for great film. But this let me down a bit. There was nothing really memorable in the film that I can go back to and say "I remember that one scene inNow, I'm a sucker for anything set in the 30-50's. I just think that time period makes for great film. But this let me down a bit. There was nothing really memorable in the film that I can go back to and say "I remember that one scene in Public Enemies where.....". The film sort of goes from one action scene to the next with little time in-between to make you invest in, and really care about any of the characters. At the end I didn't really care who lived and who died. The final few minutes of the movie didn't have the emotional weight they should have. Nothing in the film really did. On the bright side the action and shoot-outs were pretty good though. If you're going to watch this expecting a cool action movie set during the great depression, then you'll probably like it. Just don't expect much else. Expand
Compi24Mar 3, 2015
In "Public Enemies," stale characters are ultimately washed over by spectacular set pieces and brilliant digital aesthetics from the one and only Michael Mann.
FelixKovacJan 22, 2015
This is definitely one of Micheal Mann's most underrated movies, and here's why:
- This movie was very well directed.
- The acting, for the most part, was excellent. - And the story was more than interesting. Even if I love the crime
- This movie was very well directed.
- The acting, for the most part, was excellent.
- And the story was more than interesting.

Even if I love the crime sub-genre of movies in general, it's actually my favorite, but if I had to pick a flaw that most of them have in common, it would be the lack of humanity (I don't mean being nice) in the main character. For example, most gangster movies would describe their main character as a heartless criminal, and nothing else.
In "Public Enemies" though, this wasn't a problem. They give enough complexity to John Dillinger (Johnny Depp) to make the audience understand and even feel bad for him when he's going through a problem or something like that.
Christian Bale is always a good actor, and this is no exception, even if it seemed that he tried a bit to hard to pull off the "redneck" accent (when I say redneck, I mean a really NOT subtle American accent).

Finally, I found the story very intriguing. I wish I could talk about my favorite scene in the movie, but it would really great if you watched the movie (preferably by yourself).

And you you read this entire review, thanks, I really appreciate it!
LoRevisorJan 16, 2015
Johnny Depp é incrível até como vilão,Christian Bale é excelente como detetive.
Michael Mann dirige brilhantemente a história de John Dillinger,contém ótimas cenas de tiroteio,perseguição e atuações Marion Cottilard também é impressionante.
Johnny Depp é incrível até como vilão,Christian Bale é excelente como detetive.
BethesdaSep 26, 2014
It's like if Leonardo Dicaprio spawned a lovely mix of Big Rigs Over the Road Racing and stuffed it into a pink guys anus. It made me so happy I went to see it, it made me play PayDay 2
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I was looking forward to this because I'm a fan of both Depp and Bale (and yes; I recognized David Wenham, too!). All in all I liked the movie, but I also felt mildly disappointed. I had heard from people that "Public Enemies" is good, andI was looking forward to this because I'm a fan of both Depp and Bale (and yes; I recognized David Wenham, too!). All in all I liked the movie, but I also felt mildly disappointed. I had heard from people that "Public Enemies" is good, and maybe I expected too much.

The acting seemed a little stiff. Johnny Depp's Dillinger was charming, determined, and slightly obsessed with certain ideas (protecting and taking care of his own was one of them). For some reason he just didn't manage to be as smooth and charming as I expected him to be. Christian Bale's Purvis was actually even worse; Bale isn't the smoothest of guys most of the time, but here it was as if someone had stuck a metal rod up along his spine. He had his moments, but they were too few. All in all the characters were introduced very poorly and aside from the main faces, it was hard to keep up.

There were some extremely funny moments, most of them with Dillinger. The plot in and on itself was on the border of spinning out of control, though; it wasn't very smooth, there was no clear pace in it, and when you thought you would be allowed to breathe for a moment, that didn't last for very long.

When you thought the movie was going to end, it just kept pushing forward. The end was bittersweet and simple, which I liked. Life tends to be that way, after all.

The soundtrack shone with its absence in most scenes. The gunfire, on the other hand, was almost disturbing; it was loud, and I'm sure it sounded pretty real, but for some reason it just felt like 'too much'. The shaky style of camera work also added to the chaos of not knowing who was who and what was really going on. Faces and names kept flying along with the bullets, agendas were thrown into the mix and then not mentioned again for another hour, and in the end they had a very realistic yet somewhat confusing film.

So, looking at it like that, perhaps the story of the movie was very good, and all the other elements ate at it from the very beginning.
SpangleAug 18, 2014
I am not sure why this one is not more critically acclaimed honestly. Johnny Depp is fantastic here, as are Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, and Jason Clarke. The direction from Michael Mann is great as usual and he does a great job creatingI am not sure why this one is not more critically acclaimed honestly. Johnny Depp is fantastic here, as are Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, and Jason Clarke. The direction from Michael Mann is great as usual and he does a great job creating great thrills and excitement here. At times, things can get drowned out in a hail of bullets, but for the most part, things are very tense and exciting. The cinematography is good, the costume design is very good, and the production design is very good. The script is also solid and gets the job done. Now, this is not the best gangster film I have seen, but it is a darn good one and a very entertaining and well done look at the last days of John Dillinger that is bolstered by great direction and acting. Overall, this one is not a great film, but is certainly a good one that did not deserve the mixed reception it received. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
Public Enemies is really just a biography.
Public Enemies is really just a biography.
Some were disappointed with the execution of this gangster movie, but it wasn't just a "gangster movie" it was the factual biography of John Dillinger. The movie succeeds with accomplishing that aspect, but fails to be very interesting or exciting. The characters aren't very likeable although the performances are great. Just an okay movie that is a factual representation of a notorious gangster.
Tss5078Nov 12, 2013
The producers of this film would like you to think it is a modern version of the Untouchables, but anyone who has seen this film will tell you it's far from it. It's not that Public Enemies was a bad movies, but a lot of people panned itThe producers of this film would like you to think it is a modern version of the Untouchables, but anyone who has seen this film will tell you it's far from it. It's not that Public Enemies was a bad movies, but a lot of people panned it because they expected a lot more from a 100 million dollar movie, starting Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, and they have a point. The story was flawed right from the beginning because the true story behind it really wasn't that interesting. The filmmakers tried to get people to watch it, by saying that Dillinger and Purvis were comparable to Capone and Ness, but that's not true. In reality, they had almost no interaction with each other and in the movie, whenever they were together, all they did was shoot at each other. There wasn't any chemistry between them, because their supposed rivalry was a fictions element added to an otherwise true story. The film should have focused on infamous bank robber, John Dillinger, but instead it focuses on the FBI hunt for him and his life on the run, long after the bulk of his crimes had been committed. Johnny Depp portrays Dillinger in an attempt to go back to being a legitimate actor instead of a Disney puppet, and he fails miserably. This guy can be one hell of actor, when the role fits his personality, but John Dillinger does not. Depp is an emotionless mess of mumbled lines that almost completely destroy the film. Thankfully, Christian Bale was much better and far more interesting. Public Enemies had big expectations, an all-star cast, and a huge budget, but it turned out to be an average film. That's what had people so upset, because had this been an independent film, they would have been okay with it. The fact that Public Enemies was billed as the next Untouchables, but fails to deliver even a single memorable scene just destroys any credibility the film had going for it. Expand
StevenFMay 21, 2013
Honesty is a rare and often sought after trait in any individual, and when we see Johnny Depp portray one of the most notorious criminals in American history, we see exactly what Depression era bank robber John Dillinger was all about,Honesty is a rare and often sought after trait in any individual, and when we see Johnny Depp portray one of the most notorious criminals in American history, we see exactly what Depression era bank robber John Dillinger was all about, upfront and straight to the point...honest.
Whether he was a bad person or a man simply following what he was good at is anyones guess, but Michael Mann brilliantly focuses on exactly what Dillinger was known for, holding up banks. We don't need a backstory or a setup for how he took on such a job, we just see what we expect to see, but with Dillinger we see someone who isn't someone we would expect.
After a daring escape from a penitentiary, Dillinger and his friends, including Red (Jason Clarke) and Harry Pierpont (David Wenham), Dillinger is already setting up his next heist, during a great crime wave in the midst of the Depression.
Dillinger uses his charm to woo Billie Frechette (Marion Cotillard) who he is entirely honest with in his robbery prowess. She accepts his life and his determination to be with her, while Dillinger and his friends continue to evade the Bureau of Investigation, leading the hunt is Melvin Purvis (Christian Bale) who took down Pretty Boy Floyd and is now on the hunt for Dillinger.
After several near misses and even a capture, Dillinger brims with confidence at how everyone seems to be at his feet, which Depp perfectly encapsulates. He brings the slick, handsome and straight cut personality to the role that we know from the history of John Dillinger, but with so much more, a scene where he walks freely through the department searching for him is tense, wonderful and also a perfect rendition of how Dillinger liked to live his life. But to quote the film, bank robberies are not getting any easier to pull, and when the Bureau lands down hard, tragedy and blood follow Dillinger wherever he goes. But his only wish is to be with Billie.
Shot in digital high def, Public Enemies looks truly dazzling, the cinematography added with the intense close-ups create a documentary type feel that is reminiscent of the story that is on show. The big cast includes Channing Tatum, a very underrated yet brilliant turn of J. Edgar Hoover by Billy Crudup, Stephen Dorff, Giovanni Ribisi and Stephen Lang.
We can only go by what we are told by the history books, but Dillinger was indeed a colourful character nonetheless and Michael Mann has told an excellent story and created a moving and focused film.
ThegodfathersonMay 13, 2013
I rob banks," John Dillinger would sometimes say by way of introduction. It was the simple truth. That was what he did. For the 13 months between the day he escaped from prison and the night he lay dying in an alley, he robbed banks. It wasI rob banks," John Dillinger would sometimes say by way of introduction. It was the simple truth. That was what he did. For the 13 months between the day he escaped from prison and the night he lay dying in an alley, he robbed banks. It was his lifetime. Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" accepts that stark fact and refuses any temptation to soften it. Dillinger was not a nice man.
Here is a film that shrugs off the way we depend on myth to sentimentalize our outlaws. There is no interest here about John Dillinger's childhood, his psychology, his sexuality, his famous charm, his Robin Hood legend. He liked sex, but not as much as robbing banks. "He robbed the bankers but let the customers keep their own money." But whose money was in the banks? He kids around with reporters and lawmen, but that was business. He doesn't kid around with the members of his gang. He might have made a very good military leader.
Johnny Depp and Michael Mann show us that we didn't know all about Dillinger. We only thought we did. Here is an efficient, disciplined, bold, violent man, driven by compulsions the film wisely declines to explain. His gang members loved the money they were making. Dillinger loved planning the next job. He had no exit strategy or retirement plans.
Dillinger saw a woman he liked, Billie Frechette, played by Marion Cotillard, and courted her, after his fashion. That is, he took her out at night and bought her a fur coat, as he had seen done in the movies; he had no real adult experience before prison. They had sex, but the movie is not much interested. It is all about his vow to show up for her, to protect her. Against what? Against the danger of being his girl. He allows himself a tiny smile when he gives her the coat, and it is the only vulnerability he shows in the movie.
This is very disciplined film. You might not think it was possible to make a film about the most famous outlaw of the 1930s without clichés and "star chemistry" and a film class screenplay structure, but Mann does it. He is particular about the way he presents Dillinger and Billie. He sees him and her. Not them. They are never a couple. They are their needs. She needs to be protected, because she is so vulnerable. He needs someone to protect, in order to affirm his invincibility.
Dillinger hates the system, by which he means prisons, that hold people; banks, that hold money, and cops, who stand in his way. He probably hates the government too, but he doesn't think that big. It is him against them, and the bastards will not, can not, win. There's an extraordinary sequence, apparently based on fact, where Dillinger walks into the "Dillinger Bureau" of the Chicago Police Department and strolls around. Invincible. This is not ego. It is a spell he casts on himself.
The movie is well-researched, based on the book by Bryan Burrough. It even bothers to try to discover Dillinger's speaking style. Depp looks a lot like him. Mann shot on location in the Crown Point jail, scene of the famous jailbreak with the fake gun. He shot in the Little Bohemia Lodge in the same room Dillinger used, and Depp is costumed in clothes to match those the bank robber left behind. Mann redressed Lincoln Avenue on either side of the Biograph Theater, and laid streetcar tracks; I live a few blocks away, and walked over to marvel at the detail. I saw more than you will; unlike some directors, he doesn't indulge in beauty shots to show off the art direction. It's just there.
This Johnny Depp performance is something else. For once an actor playing a gangster does not seem to base his performance on movies he has seen. He starts cold. He plays Dillinger as a Fact. My friend Jay Robert Nash says 1930s gangsters copied their styles from the way Hollywood depicted them; screenwriters like Ben Hecht taught them how they spoke. Dillinger was a big movie fan; on the last night of his life, he went to see Clark Gable playing a man a lot like him, but he didn't learn much. No wisecracks, no lingo. Just military precision and an edge of steel.
Christian Bale plays Melvin Purvis in a similar key. He lives to fight criminals. He is a cold realist. He admires his boss, J. Edgar Hoover, but Hoover is a romantic, dreaming of an FBI of clean-cut young accountants in suits and ties who would be a credit to their mothers. After the catastrophe at Little Bohemia (the FBI let Dillinger escape but killed three civilians), Purvis said to hell with it and made J. Edgar import some lawmen from Arizona who had actually been in gunfights.
Mann is fearless with his research. If I mention the Lady in Red, Anna Sage (Branka Katic), who betrayed Dillinger outside the Biograph when the movie was over, how do you picture her? I do too. We are wrong. In real life she was wearing a white blouse and an orange skirt, and she does in the movie. John Ford once said, When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. This may be a case where he was right.
csw12Dec 18, 2012
Some movies just seem bad right from the start and Public Enemies is one of them. The screenplay, acting, editing, music and the way the entire film was produced is idiotic. A typical gangster film with violence, horse racing and lots of death.
gd42Dec 11, 2012
One of the worst cinematography I've ever seen. They cranked up the sharpen and contrast filters to 11. It is downright un-watchable on a smaller screen with the constantly moving camera and the messed up contrast. I had really hard timeOne of the worst cinematography I've ever seen. They cranked up the sharpen and contrast filters to 11. It is downright un-watchable on a smaller screen with the constantly moving camera and the messed up contrast. I had really hard time distinguishing between a the characters at the beginning, because you only see them for 1 or 2 seconds in dimly lit environments and the camera moves like a madman. Expand
Trev29Aug 31, 2012
This movie isn't worthy of any score. Horrible directing. It went from weirdly quiet to loud obnoxious gun shooting. I hate it. I could have watched a decent syfy movie for 2 hours. Instead I suffered through this disaster.
kingshahidNov 24, 2011
The story wasn't the best, the action was great. Costume and accents where something new as I'm not a fan of the western style movies, but this was not that - it was a gangster style movie. Christian Bale did a great job for his character...
j30Oct 10, 2011
Just a solid picture. Great cast. Cinematography was great. Micheal Mann has a very distinctive style and it really shows in the film.
DyingBreedJan 31, 2011
Public Enemies is really just another forgettable Gangster movie, with the exception of Johnny Depp there really isn't very much to like about this film.
Andy92Sep 12, 2010
when i went to see this movie there was just something about it which made it not an enjoyable experience. the story was fine and well in sequence with the events that occurred in real life with a few changes. however there wasn't enoughwhen i went to see this movie there was just something about it which made it not an enjoyable experience. the story was fine and well in sequence with the events that occurred in real life with a few changes. however there wasn't enough suspense provided especially since most people will have known what would happen. however the acting does save the movie in most points Expand
RitaJan 16, 2010
All style, no substance. Paper thin characters. A long music video passing itself off as a movie.
4 of 4 users found this helpful
rizzehDec 29, 2009
Sound and cinematography were horrible. Cast was wasted. Plot was uninteresting and characters underdeveloped. Never have I preferred cleaning a litter box to watching a Michael Mann or Johnny Depp movie... but here we are! Seriously Sound and cinematography were horrible. Cast was wasted. Plot was uninteresting and characters underdeveloped. Never have I preferred cleaning a litter box to watching a Michael Mann or Johnny Depp movie... but here we are! Seriously Metacritic?? A score of 70 seems to be way off. I think it's time to review your system. Expand
MiKEDec 23, 2009
What a bore of a movie!!!! Very dull action, felt like a low buget movie. AVOID!
JoeMDec 16, 2009
Public Enemies is a fantastic film that requires multiple viewings to really appreciate the internal battle that these characters are facing. This is Michael Mann at the top of his form, with his spectacular use of HD to give the film a Public Enemies is a fantastic film that requires multiple viewings to really appreciate the internal battle that these characters are facing. This is Michael Mann at the top of his form, with his spectacular use of HD to give the film a cutting edge yet old school feel, Depp is amazing and the supporting cast is also great, the one minor flaw that this film has is that you never really end up caring for christian bales character who is not in it a ton but enough to be noticeable. In the end this is a must see film that has one of the best endings in recent memory. Expand
VillageGreenDec 10, 2009
Are you kidding me? The Characters are as flat and uninteresting as the way the film looked. An absolute overrated waste of time. Seriously, I am not kidding, if you go into this film with only an once of criticism you will come out let down.
RitchieYDec 2, 2009
Less interesting than Transformers would be if you took the robots out.
viktorgNov 30, 2009
I like very much Depp´s interpretations, but in this movie. I liked more the second part of the movie, but i bored a lot.
HarryTNov 9, 2009
Too boring.
AlanSNov 9, 2009
Very disappointing. I had high expectation for this movie, but it just lacks the excitement that it was supposed to deliver.
CapoRegimeOct 28, 2009
Expect some Oscar awards coming from this film.
TimothyTOct 15, 2009
The production and acting were amazing; it's just too bad that the whole thing is portrayed as a series of events, and not so much as a plot. It also manages to get repetitive.
SnehitVOct 13, 2009
Watch it for Depp's acting and the movie's realistic feel
WinstonLSep 29, 2009
Johnny Depp is on my Oscar-watch.
EliasLSep 8, 2009
Unexpectedly good film...a little bit uneven though because the ending was not as good as the other parts of the film.
JimSSep 6, 2009
Sound on or sound off, it is the same movie. Visually exciting, but that is about it. Dull uninteresting characters. Are we really to believe that John Dillinger never laughed or had a good time! Although it gives an accurate historical Sound on or sound off, it is the same movie. Visually exciting, but that is about it. Dull uninteresting characters. Are we really to believe that John Dillinger never laughed or had a good time! Although it gives an accurate historical timeline, it fails to connect on any emotional level. All style, no substance; on balance a mostly forgettable film. Expand
SandyMAug 24, 2009
Loved it! Johnny Depp was perfectly cast as Dillinger and very believable. Marion, who played Billie Frechette, his girlfriend had an ethereal look about her that you just couldn't take your eyes off her. They were absolute magic on Loved it! Johnny Depp was perfectly cast as Dillinger and very believable. Marion, who played Billie Frechette, his girlfriend had an ethereal look about her that you just couldn't take your eyes off her. They were absolute magic on screen. Though it was bloody and violent, it was not overly so since this is a gangster movie about bank robbers and a man who was and lived a very violent life. Loved the charm and brashness that Depp portrayed in the role. And loved the original Chicago scenery. Expand
TonyO.Aug 13, 2009
Not bad, but a bit unnecessary. Depp is fine, Bale slightly less so. Lots of machine gun fights, some dull car chases, lots of mildly interesting gang interactions which lead nowhere in particular, and (of course) the obligatory OTT torture Not bad, but a bit unnecessary. Depp is fine, Bale slightly less so. Lots of machine gun fights, some dull car chases, lots of mildly interesting gang interactions which lead nowhere in particular, and (of course) the obligatory OTT torture scene that every American crime movie seems to have these days. But it is a french/native american woman that gets tortured by brutal fat FBI agents, so no harm done! All in all, vapid narrative, but well directed. Expand
EvinCAug 12, 2009
Boring but the acting is well done. Rent it. see if it's your taste.
aleksaAug 10, 2009
I'm impressed only by how boring this film managed to make the subject matter, and how fake it managed to look (which I guess is because of it being shot in high def digital). It's a shame, because there is a great cast, but I'm impressed only by how boring this film managed to make the subject matter, and how fake it managed to look (which I guess is because of it being shot in high def digital). It's a shame, because there is a great cast, but they're not given much to work with. Expand
TonycAug 9, 2009
All my hopes dashed by odd camerawork (though moments were really cool) and a wretchedly horrid soundscape. whoever did the soundFX and mixing really screwed the pooch, the producer that paid them is worse, and needs to be told about the All my hopes dashed by odd camerawork (though moments were really cool) and a wretchedly horrid soundscape. whoever did the soundFX and mixing really screwed the pooch, the producer that paid them is worse, and needs to be told about the filtering that can be used to make the picture look good and not like a digital short. Expand
Marc.D.Aug 6, 2009
Overly long and generally underwhelming. Depp is the only bright spot in a film which has surprisingly little to keep you engaged considering the nature of the subject matter.
ricos.Aug 3, 2009
Wow. How boring was that? To sum it up: The police chase Dillinger, he gets away, robs a bank, gets caught, escpaes, the police chase him, he robs something else, repeat.. Oh, and there's a girl involved, but it doesn't help. For Wow. How boring was that? To sum it up: The police chase Dillinger, he gets away, robs a bank, gets caught, escpaes, the police chase him, he robs something else, repeat.. Oh, and there's a girl involved, but it doesn't help. For over two and a half hours, this movie fails to engage you in any way. In Mann's masterpiece Heat, he made you root for both villains and cops. Watching Public Enemies, you end up not caring about either. The reason I don't give this the lowest possible rating, is of course the shooting scenes, which are great, but Mann can do that blindfolded by now. Too bad he kept the blindfolds on for the rest of the movie, though. Expand
ArashR.Aug 3, 2009
It was a nice movie and it had some of the most awesome action scenes... but there were also parts that were boring.. the movie as a whole really drew me in and made me want to see more but the ending wasn't what I would have like it to It was a nice movie and it had some of the most awesome action scenes... but there were also parts that were boring.. the movie as a whole really drew me in and made me want to see more but the ending wasn't what I would have like it to be and I know it was based on a true story of something like that so they had to keep it to a strict course but maybe thats what limited what this movie could have been Expand
CaitlinRAug 2, 2009
At last - after the stifling summer blockbusters and sequels comes something almost like an indie (compared to others released around that time). Great job, very tense, very exciting, and I have more respect for Depp actor-wise.
SteEAug 1, 2009
An absolutely brilliant film. The style, the direction, the camera, the acting talent. It was all there. Johnny Depp was once again brilliant in his portrayal of Johnny Dillinger, whilst Christian Bale, usually disappointing, provided a An absolutely brilliant film. The style, the direction, the camera, the acting talent. It was all there. Johnny Depp was once again brilliant in his portrayal of Johnny Dillinger, whilst Christian Bale, usually disappointing, provided a sturdy opponent. Michael Mann directs the film with a brilliance which one rarely sees, and in my opinion anyone who gave this film below a seven simply cannot have understood the proceedings or failed to appreciate the artistic beauty of the film. It could be said that this is one of the greatest films in the genre. Expand
PGJul 31, 2009
An unfortunate waste of time and disappointment considering it's actors. No real purpose to the show other than to detail the idiocy of the characters.
ChrisS.Jul 30, 2009
I have always enjoyed Johnny Depps Films, this was in my opinion in the middle of 6 and seven... Depp was Dillinger in my eye's, but, Dillinger was somtimes not what I was hoping, yes he was a bank robber that knew what he was doing, butI have always enjoyed Johnny Depps Films, this was in my opinion in the middle of 6 and seven... Depp was Dillinger in my eye's, but, Dillinger was somtimes not what I was hoping, yes he was a bank robber that knew what he was doing, but the movie started to get slow in the middle, to about 3/4's in... It did start back up and in overal i though it was a good film... Expand
JulieR.Jul 30, 2009
Rubbish, should've walked out.
MikenN.Jul 29, 2009
Really dug this film. Only film I ever saw where the digital filming actually made the film better, or at least more interesting. One big gripe: Goldenthal, fantastic composer...sadly, every time his music came in it did not fit, likely due Really dug this film. Only film I ever saw where the digital filming actually made the film better, or at least more interesting. One big gripe: Goldenthal, fantastic composer...sadly, every time his music came in it did not fit, likely due to the HD camera. The composed music seemed forced, and distracting. Yet, great film. Expand
NickA.Jul 29, 2009
Depp's Dillinger is exciting character to watch. The robbery scenes are intense I thought the over all movie was worth paying the movie ticket price
BobNJul 29, 2009
I thought this movie would suck. Miami Vice? Lame. Collateral? Ditto. The trailer to Public is not too motivating, and the reviews are rather blah. Nonetheless, I decided to see this anyways. Good film. I do not care about gangsters. Never I thought this movie would suck. Miami Vice? Lame. Collateral? Ditto. The trailer to Public is not too motivating, and the reviews are rather blah. Nonetheless, I decided to see this anyways. Good film. I do not care about gangsters. Never liked the Godfather. I loved this film. The HD cameras made this fascinating. No, it does not look likea home movie nor a History Channel flashback. It looks great. The story is simple, yet it is also complex. Is it historically accurate? Who cares. Remember the Titans (junk-fest) was far from accurate, but that didn't stop critics from liking it. This is simply a good film. What matters to me in a film is the hidden theme, or atmosphere, and if that film can hold it throughout. This film has great atmoshpere. I never once thought of gangster cliches or hollywood splurge. It was engrossing and full of frenzy. It had a momentum which is rare these days. This is one of the only films where the digital camera actually adds to it. Mann, great job. Expand
FrankVJul 23, 2009
Very entertaining and an appropriate film given the current financial crisis, and our rather low impression of banks. Dillinger was folk hero in his time and I can relate to it :-). Stick it to those evil, greedy banks. It's hard to Very entertaining and an appropriate film given the current financial crisis, and our rather low impression of banks. Dillinger was folk hero in his time and I can relate to it :-). Stick it to those evil, greedy banks. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy as in the Pirates of the Caribbean. The film does an excellent job depicting the times with sets and costumes. What I didn't like was the Depp doesn't come across as a sympathetic character, nor does Christian bale for that matter. You almost immediately forget about what you saw once you leave the theater. Expand
JonathanGJul 23, 2009
Public Enemies is a strange film, a hodgepodge of melodrama, crime, action and romance. In trying to juggle all these elements, the audience ends up seeing the film
JohnDJul 21, 2009
I hated this film. The cinematography was poor, the acting nothing special, the script horrible, the whole movie was a complete waste of time. Very big disappointment.
RyanGJul 21, 2009
Outstanding acting and set.
JasonB.Jul 20, 2009
One character, very drunk, makes just about the worst James Cagney impression I
AveryG.Jul 19, 2009
All the energy seems to have been put into research. The movie is a bore. The cinematography looks like it was shot with a cellphone, the dialog is alternately too low or too loud, the music is dreary, the shootouts have been staged with no All the energy seems to have been put into research. The movie is a bore. The cinematography looks like it was shot with a cellphone, the dialog is alternately too low or too loud, the music is dreary, the shootouts have been staged with no choreographic imagination, just bang bang bang, no gags or pieces of business. It's lazy, with just one good scene: when Depp walks into the police station. Expand
JT.Jul 18, 2009
Without question the best movie I've seen this summer. Very well written and executed. It starts off a bit slow but definately picks up after the first 30 minutes or so. Sound was a little off - not the best editiing in the world but Without question the best movie I've seen this summer. Very well written and executed. It starts off a bit slow but definately picks up after the first 30 minutes or so. Sound was a little off - not the best editiing in the world but over all two thumbs up on this one! Expand
MartinJul 18, 2009
This has to be the dullest, and probably the worst gangster film I have ever seen. After the first hour, I wished that I had rented The Untouchables on video rather than waste 20 bucks on this piece of crap. Poorly edited, poorly paced, and This has to be the dullest, and probably the worst gangster film I have ever seen. After the first hour, I wished that I had rented The Untouchables on video rather than waste 20 bucks on this piece of crap. Poorly edited, poorly paced, and long, the movie utterly fails as a gangster film. Especially given that everybody knows how this movie ends, Mann somehow manages to drag the finale out a full hour past when the film should have reached its natural conclusion. So how does it do as a character study? Not much better, actually. I didn't care about any of the characters, either the cops or the criminals. Depp is horribly miscast as Dillinger, and you never get beyond the cool veneer to understand what drove this man. The love story between him and his girlfriend is similarly pointless and uninvolving. Finally, the contrast between Dillinger and Purvis also falls flat, with only one scene where the two characters are on screen together. So for all of those who have not yet seen this film, ignore the positive reviews - these critics are either horribly misguided, or maybe they hang out with Mr. Mann. Whatever the case, it is hard to see this movie as anything but an unmitigated disaster. Expand
PeterO.Jul 18, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie. It
MarylynnC.Jul 17, 2009
2 1/2 hours of boredom, blurry film, empty dialogue, shaky handicams, undeveloped characters, incoherent plot development, and disgraceful audio quality. Home movies have been made with better quality. Other than that, it gets five because 2 1/2 hours of boredom, blurry film, empty dialogue, shaky handicams, undeveloped characters, incoherent plot development, and disgraceful audio quality. Home movies have been made with better quality. Other than that, it gets five because it did have SOME good shots and some interesting scenes. Not to mention the actors Depp and Bale who kept the thing afloat. Expand
StevePJul 17, 2009
An excellent Mann film! Reminds me alot of Heat.
markj.Jul 17, 2009
I so wanted to like this movie. I went to it hoping to see another "Bonnie and Clyde." The film I saw was slow, lacking in tension, "artsy" to a fault and ultimately disappointing. I was particularly disappointed with Depp's I so wanted to like this movie. I went to it hoping to see another "Bonnie and Clyde." The film I saw was slow, lacking in tension, "artsy" to a fault and ultimately disappointing. I was particularly disappointed with Depp's interpretation of Dilliinger. Depp captured the smoldering anger in the man, but none of his well-documented, rock star charm that beguiled the press, public and police alike. Was there any other bank robber in history who gave chairs to women during hold-ups? Who else but Dillinger would return to the scene of a robbery an hour after the crime, casually chat up the police and then leave on a city bus? These and other extraordinary true incidences were not in "Public Enemies" and the film is poorer for it. Expand
ZacD.Jul 16, 2009
For me, the film failed to deliver so much that was promised by the reputable cast. A meaningless concession of gunfights does not constitute a storyline.
NerijusD.Jul 16, 2009
Film
ChrisP.Jul 16, 2009
It's a great movie!Johny Depp was really good and the plot really interesting.Good scenes with lot of actions.i believe it would be one of the best movie of 2009!
FantasyJul 15, 2009
The movie was just okay nothing special. It would have been so much better if we could have looked into the life of the boy and then the man to understand what made him unique. Not enough character development on all the other characters either.
JoshW.Jul 13, 2009
An absolute classic. Great film. Historically accurate, amazingly told. Only problem is it's a bit slow. If it was half an hour shorter it would be the best film this year.
SusanS.Jul 13, 2009
I left the theater not quite sure whether or not I liked this film--there were some brilliant moments, but at times it felt quite scattered and clumsy. Like one critic said above, there seemed to be no reason to make this film--I kept I left the theater not quite sure whether or not I liked this film--there were some brilliant moments, but at times it felt quite scattered and clumsy. Like one critic said above, there seemed to be no reason to make this film--I kept catching glimpses of that, but it's like Michael Mann tried so hard to make everything so subtle that the whole film ends up getting lost. It really just made me want to watch The Assassination of Jesse James again, as that is a brilliant artsy gangster film, and this was just kind of rambling and lost in its own seeming profoundness. Expand
StuartCJul 13, 2009
Very disappointing given those involved.
JohnW.Jul 12, 2009
I was really looking forward to this movie, but the incredibly distracting camera-work, and the fact that it was shot at 30fps in digital makes it almost unwatchable and feels like it was shot on a home camera. I didn't feel any I was really looking forward to this movie, but the incredibly distracting camera-work, and the fact that it was shot at 30fps in digital makes it almost unwatchable and feels like it was shot on a home camera. I didn't feel any connection to the characters, and there was absolutely no feeling of suspense, excitement, or sadness during any part of the movie. It really felt like everyone involved - from writers, to director, to actors - just phoned it in. And don't even get me started on the horrendous sound and film editing. Even the music felt amateurish. All in all, a movie that should have been great ends up being painfully unwatchable due to some ridiculous production choices (which will probably be defended as "artistic choices"). Expand
RobertI.Jul 11, 2009
Beautifully crafted, emotionally void, an inevitably doomed figure lurching toward his end, accompanied by gunfire and grave chordal progressions. Chorus toward an end.
TomM.Jul 11, 2009
Shocking. Boring throughout. Not enough actions scenes and never got going.
TArkoB.Jul 11, 2009
Shot like a television show, with no scale or scope at all, a bloated two and a half hour masturbatory rehash of gangster cliches. With no discernable dramatic through-line, except a by-the-numbers "and then, and then" retelling in Shot like a television show, with no scale or scope at all, a bloated two and a half hour masturbatory rehash of gangster cliches. With no discernable dramatic through-line, except a by-the-numbers "and then, and then" retelling in excruciating, boring detail, this is more evidence of Michael Mann's arrogance and mediocrity. The only truly amazing thing is that Mann was able to make robbing banks boring. The best thing about this movie was the font. Expand
KrisB.Jul 10, 2009
Epic Movie, great to watch, you won't be disappointed.
AndrewNJul 10, 2009
This movie was pretty horrible. Drawn-out, dull, poor transitioning between scenes, and truly terrible camera work. I was not emotionally invested in any of the characters, and Christian Bale in particular was very miscast. This may have all This movie was pretty horrible. Drawn-out, dull, poor transitioning between scenes, and truly terrible camera work. I was not emotionally invested in any of the characters, and Christian Bale in particular was very miscast. This may have all been redeemed had the movie actually been entertaining, but at no point did I think it was. I'd strongly recommend avoiding it, despite positive reviews from the professional media. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
GeraldFJul 8, 2009
Horribly shaky camera work. Half the time couldn't recognize the characters because of shakiness. No characters got my sympathy or emotional connection. Nice representation of '30s styles and environs.
JohnB.Jul 8, 2009
With the actors and storyline they had, they could have made this movie great...but there were too many pointless scenes, they could have made this much shorter and more interesting. they left out many interesting aspects of dilingers With the actors and storyline they had, they could have made this movie great...but there were too many pointless scenes, they could have made this much shorter and more interesting. they left out many interesting aspects of dilingers robberies (like the fact that he used to go into the banks pretending that they were shooting a movie so when they went in to rob it the people outside thought it was a movie shoot...but this was not shown in the movie). overall, not a horrible movie, but i expected more..i say wait for the dvd. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
MSJul 7, 2009
Great movie - different, interesting, exciting.
SteveGJul 7, 2009
Thin story, some odd casting choices and pretty poor dialogue make for a heavily stylized, but ultimately empty gangster picture: a gangster picture where all the joy and fun has been sapped out of it.
ChristopherP.Jul 6, 2009
Without any real focus on some aspect of the film and just a hodgepodge of rather uninteresting action scenes interspersed with bland dialogue and equally uninteresting and bland characters, it just doesn't feel like anywhere near what Without any real focus on some aspect of the film and just a hodgepodge of rather uninteresting action scenes interspersed with bland dialogue and equally uninteresting and bland characters, it just doesn't feel like anywhere near what it should have been. Because the characters are boring, there's no good reason to root for anyone in particular. Neither Depp nor Bale manage to salvage the writing and put any flavor into their characters, and the thrill of the cat-and-mouse chase isn't there, which is surprising for a Michael Mann film. Disappointing. Expand
ReedD.Jul 6, 2009
While this movie was entertaining, it was... the same old movie. Not only has cops and robbers been done a million times but mob vs. cops has been done almost as much. This movie felt like it followed the same old pattern.
BillS.Jul 6, 2009
Flat and emotionally uninvolving. The film lacks a point of view and interesting narrative line. Christian Bayle is a disaster; his characterization is empty and pointless. The Lawrence Tierney version [1945] still rules. LT in a boater and Flat and emotionally uninvolving. The film lacks a point of view and interesting narrative line. Christian Bayle is a disaster; his characterization is empty and pointless. The Lawrence Tierney version [1945] still rules. LT in a boater and shades can't be beat. Expand
FrankO.Jul 6, 2009
My wife and I both enjoyed this movie although she liked it better than I did. My only objection was its length, how many bank robbers and shootouts do I need to make a point? Minor criticism, overall, I believe Michael Mann did an excellent My wife and I both enjoyed this movie although she liked it better than I did. My only objection was its length, how many bank robbers and shootouts do I need to make a point? Minor criticism, overall, I believe Michael Mann did an excellent job of capturing the time period(i.e. depression) and our hero worship of criminals. Expand
AaronM.Jul 6, 2009
This movie is just a modern day depiction of glorified violence. The strength of the movie should have been its focus on the characters, and finding a connection to their basic humanness, which happens pretty well in the first half of the This movie is just a modern day depiction of glorified violence. The strength of the movie should have been its focus on the characters, and finding a connection to their basic humanness, which happens pretty well in the first half of the movie. Seeing John Dillinger among every day folk just a little while after robbing a bank is fascinating! Seeing an everyday girl take on the challenge of dating a John Dillinger is fascinating! That said, the blood and gore that becomes a focus in the second half is a unnecessary distraction that just brings the movie down to a subpar level, and leaves you wishing the movie had done something more. Expand
DWillyJul 6, 2009
Oh, how the mighty Michael Mann has fallen. Outside the theater, I ran into the great writer/director Robert Towne who, when I asked if he liked the film, said: "No. And I have to take some time to think about what's happened to Oh, how the mighty Michael Mann has fallen. Outside the theater, I ran into the great writer/director Robert Towne who, when I asked if he liked the film, said: "No. And I have to take some time to think about what's happened to movies." I volunteered that I thought it had something to do with the making of a virtue out of dispassion. In any case, this movie is dull. Johhny Depp is not at all suited to play this kind of part, and I found myself during his scenes much more fascinated that the filmmakers would think, shot as it is in High Def video, that it would be acceptable for us to plainly see he's wearing make up. Christian Bale is dreadful. I'd love if he could perform in anything with a pinky's worth of the intensity of feeling he shows when going after a crew member or his mother and sister. The action had very few touches, just lots of Tommy guns blasting without much effect, and, all around, was pretty much pointless: nothing about how hard economics evokes a certain personality trait, or that some men take badly to authority or they love thrills or that even if we want to see those old days as quaint, they were in fact brutal. Just blah, blah, bang. Expand
ChrisS.Jul 5, 2009
Another classic to add to your collection of gangster flicks. I'm not sure about the actual story of Dillinger--some parts i know were inaccurate--but the film is front-to-back remarkable.
SarahH.Jul 5, 2009
Very well done; I agree with many who said that it was very good, but not great, that there was some element missing there. I can't place it, but it's still a must-see in my book.
ROBERTM.Jul 5, 2009
Johnny Depp gives depth to Dillinger. His love interest was completely believable. We should see more of her.
WarrenO.Jul 5, 2009
The movie begins with a good action scene, but it never settles down to give some historical background of the 30s or Dillinger himself, aside from a few quick lines. The scene in the Wisconsin woods at night starts well--the night forest The movie begins with a good action scene, but it never settles down to give some historical background of the 30s or Dillinger himself, aside from a few quick lines. The scene in the Wisconsin woods at night starts well--the night forest looks really interesting, but what follows is just rapid cutting of vague action. The movie just didn't grab me, and Dillinger was an interesting person in history. I'm gonna rent the 1973 version called "Dillinger" since I haven't seen it since then. Oates actually looked like Dillinger. Expand
DanielJ.Jul 5, 2009
Wow. Really mixed feelings on this film. I'm a huge fan of Michael Mann and his movies are kind of events for me but that can also be frustrating because his work is all over the place. He's been in a period of extremely strong Wow. Really mixed feelings on this film. I'm a huge fan of Michael Mann and his movies are kind of events for me but that can also be frustrating because his work is all over the place. He's been in a period of extremely strong visual stylization that is almost its own art form - Miami Vice and Collateral would almost work better with the sound off. I prefer when he is just being a really good storyteller, though, i.e. Heat, Ali and The Insider. The biggest problem with Public Enemies for me was that it is shot in a really ugly digital format. I know that Mann probably thought it would lend immediacy and reality to the story - which it does in some ways - but it's also distracting. The association in our minds of hi-def to reality is a modern, technological connection that we get from watching documentaries shot on a budget. That effect can be simulated in a modern setting more smoothly for this reason, for instance in 28 Days Later. Here, used on a 1930s historical drama, it stands out like a sore thumb. I was never really able to get lost in the film. There are other problems, particularly the muffled audio that makes Mann's already pithy scrip even harder to follow and the script itself, which is somewhat vanilla. Depp is sweet. Bale is Bale - one note, complete intensity at all times. The smaller parts are played by great actors who sometimes come to life more than the leads. But there is a blunt energy to the movie that is affecting and kind of addicting. I've been thinking about the movie all day since seeing it last night. I think it has soul. I would like to see it again. I really hope that Mann goes back to film, or to another format that is equally beautiful. But I'm also glad he's working as much as he has in the past 10 years. Expand
JohnL.Jul 5, 2009
This movie is ok, its very similar to a movie called the newton boys which i actually liked better..the movie is well made and the cast solid but it is kind of long and very predictable. i would recommend it because even though it was long iThis movie is ok, its very similar to a movie called the newton boys which i actually liked better..the movie is well made and the cast solid but it is kind of long and very predictable. i would recommend it because even though it was long i wasn't bored at any point. Expand
RickR.Jul 4, 2009
Mann had the daring to invent a visual vocabulary for the gangster film, and it pays off with the best film of the genre since Bonnie & Clyde. The camera takes in actors and action alike with unhurried deliberation, more or less in real Mann had the daring to invent a visual vocabulary for the gangster film, and it pays off with the best film of the genre since Bonnie & Clyde. The camera takes in actors and action alike with unhurried deliberation, more or less in real time, and it brings the human scale of both into sharp relief. As slickly stylish as the film is visually, it doesn't get in the way of a great gangster film that is also a great love story. Expand
LandonB.Jul 4, 2009
Beautifully shot and well-acted, I still found this movie strangely uninvolving. It seemed more like a museum piece than a movie. Even the action segments iin the film seemed cold and distant. Actually, I was bored and disappointed.
JeffD.Jul 4, 2009
On the way to nowhere in a boring slow car. Unfocussed. Great scenery, but poor writing, directing and just average acting. A big snooze!
KY.Jul 4, 2009
I think it could have been better, but for what it was, it was pretty good. Sad that the public can't recognize a decent film when they see it...
BitBurnJul 3, 2009
I thought it was very good entertainment. Depp, as usual, is awesome. However, the movie still lacks a bit in storytelling and the origins. Dillinger's history isn't explained.
JonB.Jul 3, 2009
It's a mix between Miller's Crossings and Heat. That being said, in every aspect it isn't as good as Heat. Surprisingly, Depp's acting is rather bland and Bale is his typical no frills and no emotion robot.
CeejayJul 3, 2009
Pretty boring. I spent drifting into my mind and then back to the movie. By the last half hour I was wondering if leaving would be a better idea.
EricR.Jul 3, 2009
Screenplay, character development, plot development. Atrocious, insulting and laughable.