9.0

1. Dec 13, 2013
    This movie was fantastic. It's everything you could have hoped for if you're a Madoka fan. Great visuals, great conclusion(?) to the story, great new character development, great music, great animation, great everything. At the beginning, you may be confused, even if you have watched the series, or the previous movies. But for those who've never heard of Madoka Magica, you'll be in for a great surprise. It may seem all cutesy with cute girls doing their cute things, with friendship and happiness, but allow this movie to clear that image from your mind and replace it with insanity, sadness, and darkness. The fights in this movie are fantastically done, leaving me stunned for hours afterward. In fact, the plot twists and deeper meanings are still jabbing at my brain, with me and my friend debating some of the themes and ideas behind the subtlety. In short, watch this movie. Don't listen to official Critic Reviews, who can't even understand the plot, who would get rioted over for giving good reviews to a foreign film. Don't let this turn you away because it's an anime. While the series through me into a depression, this third original movie will bring some great satisfaction. Don't think everything will end in good though... Expand
  2. Dec 23, 2013
    I don't want to say too much about Rebellion because, honestly, it is an experience. The first watch through is truly something that you have to see to believe. Stunning visuals accompanied by fantastic music seem insignificant to the masterful writing demonstrated in this third and final installment to the Madoka Magica franchise.

When I say the writing is masterful, I don't mean it in
    the way you probably expect. This movie was not one that was needed, but is still one that can be appreciated. It almost acts as a deconstruction of the previous series; it asks questions that the original never asked, took plot twists the original never dared to take, and even manages to create an ending that will really stick with viewers for years to come.

Of course, this movie is scattered in imagery from top to bottom, and while I, personally, love this kind of thing, it does become a bit problem to people who just want more Madoka. The actual plot of the movie is not that hard to grasp, but the imagery is almost required in order to gain a solid opinion of it. And, in a way, this is a good thing. It separates the superficial Madoka fans from the ones who really analyzed the show. It separates those who want to see the amazing action scenes from those who want to dig deep into the plot and really understand it. And while the original series went about putting both sides on equal grounds of importance, the third does tend to favor those who prefer digging into the plot. Not too much, mind you, since there are a few jaw-dropping action sequences as well, but it shows its favor enough to drive the superficial fans bananas at some points.

That is my only complaint, however, and it is a minor one at most. This movie is fantastic and is an experience worth having. So, to all Madoka fans out there, do yourselves a favor and watch Rebellion.
  3. Jan 5, 2014
    Well after a good night sleep to ensure that I made the right decision, I am happy to say that most people would give this scoring between a "7-9". Additionally do yourself a favor and listen to Deimo262 where he says Don't listen to official Critic Reviews, who can't even understand the plot, who would get rioted over for giving good reviews to a foreign film I have checked both their reviews and found that they have not seen the series so they have no idea what's going on.

Anyway back to my reason of scoring it a "9". The storytelling was almost perfect with the exception of the weird ending which I believe they did it to make another movie It was a justified ending but feels wrong in itself (lightningbarer). There are parts in the movie where it was hard to grasp the situation but nevertheless don't let it spoil the movie for you.

Lastly I do hope shaft animation play their cards right because there isn't much room now for them to make another 2-3 movies. I do hope when they finally end the series, they would end it in such a way like the "Rejected Cartoons". Pure awesomeness!!~
  4. Jan 27, 2014
    First off, you should of watched the original Puella Magi Madoka Magica episodes or the first two movies first before watching this Rebellion movie. Even though the creators say that it can be understood without seeing the original episodes, I highly doubt that. This movie was confusing and a huge knock-out punch even to people who are familiar with the show, but in a good way. Though confusing, Rebellion was a fantastic movie for fans around the world. However, it did raise many more questions than answers. This movie was originally going to be the final chapter of the series, but the director made the ending so that the franchise can continue, which is a good thing in my view. This movie is definitely NOT the finale for Madoka Magica.

This movie is definitely one that you will have to, and want to, watch more than once. Every time you watch it, you always find many things new. There is so much symbolism to be interpreted; some of it is hidden in metaphors and some of it is in the imagery. But, interpreting the symbolism is to me one of the main reason why this movie is so enjoyable and why you can watch it over again. It is like an Easter egg hunt to find and put together the pieces of the puzzle, and make connections to classic fables and stories that have been beautifully woven into this entire series and make up many of its foundations.

As for the animation and the music of this movie, it is very well done and beautiful. Throughout the movie, the animation of Gekidan Inu Curry (the duo who does the animation for the witches and their barriers) is present much more in this movie than in the previous films. Their animation adds to the unsettling theme of the movie, as intended.

The overall theme for Madoka Magica is rather depressing, and Rebellion is no exception. Rebellion has maybe a few more violent, disturbing and gruesome scenes in it than in the original episodes/movies. But, it also has some very cheerful scenes that are in great contrast of that gloomy theme. Though some believe that a few of the cheerful scenes or things have little relevance to the story/plot, it's nice to see the writers adding some jollier tones to lighten up the movie at least a little. This is a depressing movie.

In this movie, we get a much darker view on the main character and former (?) protagonist, Homura Akemi. I question the formality of protagonist, because it is unclear to the viewer if Homura's intentions at the end of Rebellion are good or evil. The writers warned that the ending to Rebellion would divide the fans, and this is probably what they meant. Some believe that Homura's intentions at the end of this movie were selfish, while others believe that Homura's intentions were selfless and justified. This is definitely something that will stick with the viewer.

A lot of thought was put into this movie (almost too much), and it is stunning to say the least. I hope there will be more to come!
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    Dec 6, 2013
    The more generalized confessionals on friendship and love are a lot simpler to grasp. But the real star is the riot collage of twisty, breakneck visuals underscoring these conversations and battles.
  2. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Dec 5, 2013
    An alternately enchanting and exhausting anime adventure in which cutesy characters and peppy vocal turns belie a darker, angst-ridden narrative.