9.0

1. Apr 24, 2015
    The danger of having as successful and explosive a debut as Reservoir Dogs is that expectations are invariably high - sometimes unrealistically so - for the follow up. Quentin Tarantino, however, has managed the near-impossible: improve upon the extraordinary. Pulp Fiction shows what can happen when a talented and accomplished filmmaker reaches his apex.

This film is one wild ride. An

This film is one wild ride. An anthology of three interconnected stories that take place in a modern-day Los Angeles tinted by echoes of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, the movie impresses in every possible way. Writer/director Tarantino has merged film noir with the gangster tale and pulled them both into the '90s. As definitive as Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather saga was for the '70s, so is Pulp Fiction for today's generation.

Pulp Fiction's three tales are structured to intersect and overlap at key points, even though they are not presented in chronological order. Tarantino arranges his initial scene to dovetail with his final one in a remarkable example of closure. Those confused by the structure will see everything clearly once the final line is spoken.

As was the case in Reservoir Dogs, Tarantino's crisp dialogue sparkles. The vulgarity-laced monologues and conversations ripple with humor and are ripe with points to ponder. Foot massages, hamburgers, comfortable silence, a gold watch, pot bellies, divine intervention, and filthy animals - all these and more receive the writer's attention as he presents meaningless issues in an intensely-fascinating and almost lyrical fashion. Who else (except perhaps David Mamet) can make profanity sound so poetic?

All the details are executed to perfection. Ironies abound in the smallest situations. One death is caused by, of all things, a poptart. And it takes a director of rare talent to find the comedy in so many macabre situations. This goes beyond gallows humor. Mixing the original with the derivative, Tarantino pushes Pulp Fiction in directions that are equally anticipated and unexpected.

Relentless in its pace, Pulp Fiction is as exhausting as it is exhilarating. In between all the shootings, Mexican standoffs, and other violent confrontations exist opportunities to explore various facets of the human experience, including rebirth and redemption. With this film, every layer that you peel away leads to something deeper and richer. Tarantino makes pictures for movie-lovers, and Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece.
  2. Apr 19, 2015
    The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.

Brilliantly written and unfathomably cool, this would make a good case for most quotable crime movie of all time. On top of all that one of the best films ever made!
  3. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The least interesting thing about Pulp Fiction is what is in that bloody briefcase. Whether it is unlimited moolah, the soul of Crime Lord Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) or the gold lame suit worn by Val Kilmer's Elvis in True Romance (1993) really misses the point of Tarantino's molotov cocktail of a picture. Making a mockery of the difficult-second-film cliche, Tarantino weaves a patchwork of crime film history into something shiny and new. Peppered with great moments eaten up by actors working at the top of their game (Travolta, Willis and Thurman have never been better, and the film created the aura of greatness that currently surrounds Jackson) Pulp's witty writing, pop culture-surfing, gleeful amorality, cult tuneology and hyperkinetic energy has redefined the crime genre for the foreseeable future.

Drawing on the compendium format of Black Mask magazine and Mario Bava's gothic flick Black Sabbath (1963) as well as the twisty-turny crime literature of Frederick Brown and Charles Willeford, Tarantino wrote Pulp on the European press push for Reservoir Dogs (1991) — hence Vincent Vega (Travolta )'s detailed knowledge of Amsterdam minutiae. As such, the film also boasts a European feel; both in specific incident — the day-in-the-life-of-a-hit-man strand acknowledges the influence of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai (1967) and the Vincent-Mia's twist has the same spirit as the impromptu dance in Jean-Luc Godard's crime flick Bande A Part (1964) — and in its rather intelligent sense of deconstructing Hollywood history.

Indeed, Pulp Fiction operates in the hinterland between reality and movie reality. Into a cadre of movie archetypes — the assassin, the mob boss, the gangster's moll, the boxer who throws a fight — Tarantino injects a reality check that is as funny as it is refreshing. Whereas most crime flicks would breeze over the rendezvous between Vincent and Mia, here we actually get to go on the date— polite chit-chat, awkward silences, bad dancing — before it spirals off into a drugged-up disaster. Just as Dogs is a heist film where you don't see the heist, Pulp is a boxer-takes-a-dive flick where you never see the bout, opting instead for conversations about muffins and Deliverance-style rape. Moreover, after Vincent and Jules take back Marsellus' briefcase, rather than cutting to a cop on their trail, we stay with them and revel in their banal banter as they dispose of a corpse (the genius of Keitel's Wolf in this effort is a moot point — how much intelligence does it take | to clean a car, then throw a rug over the back seat?)

What startled about Pulp on release was its audacious story dynamics. It was originally planned as a straight anthology flick — Tarantino's decision to cross-reference the yarns mines even more dramatic gold (i.e. the hero can get killed halfway through). While none of the stories amount to much on their own — if you told Pulp in a linearity, it would start with Vincent and Jules arriving at Brett's apartment and end with Butch and Fabienne Dooming off on Zed's chopper—in crisscrossing the exposition, Tarantino forges hooks of expectation and curiosity that pay off one by one in satisfying ways.

Through its tricksy plot structure, very few films capture such a rich sense of an interconnected crime community. Of course, this extends even beyond the parameters of the film itself to Tarantino's other movies — that Vincent Vega has a brother better known as Mr. Blonde hints at a whole nexus of underworld activity — and to the whole crime genre itself. As Butch kills Maynard, Marsellus Wallace warns Zed he's going to get some henchman, "To go to work with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch." In Charley Varrick (1973), a character named Maynard warns a bank manager about the very same method of torture.

While all the plaudits may have gone to Tarantino's killer dialogue — it's appeared everywhere from parody Plump Fiction to the Fun Lovin' Criminals' hit Scooby Snacks — Pulp is an equally stimulating visual experience. From the eyeful of Jackrabbit Slims to the magical square Mia draws to underline Vincent's geekiness to Andrzej Sekula's glossy, wide angled image-crafting, the look of Pulp is equally as imaginative without ever calling attention to itself.

More protean than Dogs, more fun than Jackie Brown, Pulp is so perfectly wrought it makes you forgive the crimes against cinema that Tarantino has perpetrated with his acting. Three great movies for the pries of one, the anaemic rip-offs that have followed have only served to sharpen its greatness. Besides, how could you not love a movie where a character called Antwan Rockamora is constantly referred to as Tony Rocky Horror?
  4. Apr 17, 2015
    Another boring movie by Quentin Tarantino. I like the fact that the movie have a portuguese actress but that are so... I don't even know. People talk about Pulp Fiction like that was the biggest thing in the world, I just say NO!
  5. Apr 12, 2015
    An explosive paradiso collage of a non-linear storytelling Quentin Tarantino really musters out the best of himself in this violent tale of black comedy, bizarre situations, profanity, crime, and religious redemption, a superb LA Pulp Crime Novel styled sandwich that is as colorful as the first time it was made.
  6. Mar 23, 2015
    I don't really know what good things I can add in a review of this amazing movie. The stories all come together so perfectly, the individual scenes are gorgeous, and the dialogue has this wonderful theatricality that makes it so, so fun to watch. Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta frame the movie in a big way, with their quick-paced, antagonistic dialogue and absolutely wonderfulI don't really know what good things I can add in a review of this amazing movie. The stories all come together so perfectly, the individual scenes are gorgeous, and the dialogue has this wonderful theatricality that makes it so, so fun to watch. Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta frame the movie in a big way, with their quick-paced, antagonistic dialogue and absolutely wonderful portrayals. Uma Thurman is amazing in a crazy, off-kilter kind of way and of course the dance scene she has with Travolta is famous for a reason. Her self-disparaging almost-shyness gives her character this delicacy that's beautiful to watch. Wonderful ensemble cast, captivating web of overlapping stories and timelines. There are so many reasons this film is a classic. Expand
  7. Feb 12, 2015
    A dark comedy that not only was revolutionary for film making at the time in terms of story telling, but it set the gold standard for all crime movies that followed it. Tarantino's love of violence and swears lend to the perfect blending of memorable characters with an outlandish plot and zinging, non-stop dialogue that sucks you back in every time you watch it. There's a reason it'sA dark comedy that not only was revolutionary for film making at the time in terms of story telling, but it set the gold standard for all crime movies that followed it. Tarantino's love of violence and swears lend to the perfect blending of memorable characters with an outlandish plot and zinging, non-stop dialogue that sucks you back in every time you watch it. There's a reason it's considered one of the greatest. Phenomenal performances all-around by Travolta, Jackson, Thurman and Willis...not to mention Ving Rhames, Tim Roth and Christopher Walken are all badass. Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2015
    What the f222 was this sh7t? This is the worst movie i've ever seen! What a mind f777! And how the f999 this movie has this high scores? F777 the academy awards!
  9. Jan 19, 2015
    Simply put, Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece. Abstrusely put, Pulp Fiction impeccably blends in stylistic and darkly comical dialogue with substantial notions about the bleak, sadistic and nihilistic word of gangsters, juggled in a supremely intricate non-linear plot line. Pulp Fiction struck the world of cinema like a bolt of lightening when it least expected it, influencing film-makersSimply put, Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece. Abstrusely put, Pulp Fiction impeccably blends in stylistic and darkly comical dialogue with substantial notions about the bleak, sadistic and nihilistic word of gangsters, juggled in a supremely intricate non-linear plot line. Pulp Fiction struck the world of cinema like a bolt of lightening when it least expected it, influencing film-makers around the world to imitate, replicate and adopt to Tarantin-ian dialogue. But knowing the words isn't enough; genius lies between the lines, or in this case, in the rhythm. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2015
    Tarintino delivers one of the most unique cinematic experience with Pulp Fiction. Not only can he string together a non linear story to make it easy to follow and exciting but does it with such fluency and style that it completely makes the film a true masterpiece
  11. Jan 8, 2015
    Pulp Fiction is brilliant in that it lacks any sort of story. This is a film following the lives of several characters at various points of time. Most of the dialogue is natural and characters are allowed to breath. This is a film about life and people more than anything else and it was really well executed. This is topped off with some great acting and wonderful presentation. I loved thisPulp Fiction is brilliant in that it lacks any sort of story. This is a film following the lives of several characters at various points of time. Most of the dialogue is natural and characters are allowed to breath. This is a film about life and people more than anything else and it was really well executed. This is topped off with some great acting and wonderful presentation. I loved this movie at best and really liked it at its worst. I can see why this film has gained a lot of buzz. Definitely will be seeing this film a few more times in the future and you should to. Expand
  12. Nov 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of people have there favorite movies and for me this is the greatest movie ever made. Everything in this movie is perfect, the dialog is great, the acting is fantastic, the characters are so likable ever that they are criminals, the story is so original and the editing plays with your mind so at the end of the movie you have to figure out who the movie begin and end it. If you have watch this movie you are going to remember every scene and how great they are. But lets not get ahead of our self. And the movie is really funny too, so don't fill sorry if you did laugh out loud when you so Marvin getting shot in the face. Also this movie has a great soundtrack, with some of the most catchiest song out there. And the in my opinion the best acting given by Quentin Tarantino in a movie. So if you haven't watched go ahead and give it a look and if you have watched go and watch it again. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2014
    A near perfect movie that is Tarantino's best in my opinion. Great acting, dialogue, and plot. I loved how the story was out of order and it was like putting a puzzle together. I knew about this before I watched the film and i thought it was going to be very confusing but it really wasn't and was quite easy to understand. This is not only a must see for action or Travolta fans but aA near perfect movie that is Tarantino's best in my opinion. Great acting, dialogue, and plot. I loved how the story was out of order and it was like putting a puzzle together. I knew about this before I watched the film and i thought it was going to be very confusing but it really wasn't and was quite easy to understand. This is not only a must see for action or Travolta fans but a must see for any person that enjoys watching movies. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2014
    I have this movie high on my list of favorite movies. It actually is my favorite movie. It has gun shots that are awesome, and comedy and a bit of drama. I think it's like a drama/comedy and if you don't agree I don't care because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I love this movie. It has Samuel L. Jackson! Honestly I think this movie should've won best picture but NOPE. ForrestI have this movie high on my list of favorite movies. It actually is my favorite movie. It has gun shots that are awesome, and comedy and a bit of drama. I think it's like a drama/comedy and if you don't agree I don't care because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I love this movie. It has Samuel L. Jackson! Honestly I think this movie should've won best picture but NOPE. Forrest Gump had to win. If you think this movie is gory you're totally wrong except for 1 accidental shooting in a car and that's all I'm saying on that and that is a comedy scene so go watch this masterpiece. Expand
  15. Oct 21, 2014
    Several inter-locking stories of crime and intrigue form a temporal mosaic set in the Los Angeles underworld with great performances from the talented cast.
  16. Oct 5, 2014
    One of the best black comedy of all time. You can really watch Quentin Tarantino work. Multiple story lines interconnect perfectly. It's one a movie you don't want to end.
  17. Sep 12, 2014
    95% of this acclaimed film is detestable: the script, plot, cinematography and of course, Tarantino. The only thing that redeems this film from utter failure is the acting, mostly on the part of Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson and Harvey Keitel.
  18. Sep 2, 2014
    I know, everyone says it's a good movie. Yes it is, but not my type. I tried to watch it 2-3 times but I can not resist. Something attracts me at all, not at all, I get bored so fast ... No offense, it is my opinion
  19. Aug 28, 2014
    It is difficult to not recognize the triumph that Pulp Fiction truly is. Quentin Tarantino proves here his place amongst the film industry. Uma Thurman is superb! Many of the sequences are mind-blowing. My one issue with Pulp: leave out Bruce Willis, entirely.
  20. Aug 23, 2014
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to betray my brother and you will know that I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta star in this incredible film. The repetition of scenes and the jumbled order make the fiomfilm confusing at times but gripping at the same time. This is a tarantino masterpiece. Not only was there great acting and directing but a brilliant soundtrack to top it off. Pulp fiction is the kind of film you just want to talk about for weeks after seeing it.
  21. Aug 19, 2014
    ¿Que decir de esta película? Tarantino es un genio pero con esta obra se superó. El dúo Travolta-Jackson ya es parte de la historia del cine, los diálogos son realmente divertidos, con frases míticas (bueno, pero no empecemos a chuparnos las pollas todavía), la trama de mas de dos horas te tiene enganchado hasta el final, y que final, una de las mejores escenas de la historia. En¿Que decir de esta película? Tarantino es un genio pero con esta obra se superó. El dúo Travolta-Jackson ya es parte de la historia del cine, los diálogos son realmente divertidos, con frases míticas (bueno, pero no empecemos a chuparnos las pollas todavía), la trama de mas de dos horas te tiene enganchado hasta el final, y que final, una de las mejores escenas de la historia. En definitiva, una película que la puedes ver todas las veces que quieras y que siempre te sorprende y te hace gracia. Película que hay que ver antes de morir si o si. Toda una genialidad. Expand
  22. Aug 18, 2014
    Pulp Fiction was something special. Something different, with fantastic character development as well as dialogue and memorable quotes. It's definitely worth watching.
  23. Aug 16, 2014
    One or two minutes too long, a type of film that only comes once or twice a century. One of the best screenplays ever put on film, great performances, bad-ass soundtrack, Tarantino directing at his finest, great cinematography as well. Complicated, the structure of the film somehow reminds me of Chinatown, but if I compare these two, Pulp Fiction is a little bit more appealing. You justOne or two minutes too long, a type of film that only comes once or twice a century. One of the best screenplays ever put on film, great performances, bad-ass soundtrack, Tarantino directing at his finest, great cinematography as well. Complicated, the structure of the film somehow reminds me of Chinatown, but if I compare these two, Pulp Fiction is a little bit more appealing. You just can't beat those dialogues about burgers. Cleverly done, Tarantino. Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2014
    Well the critics couldn't be more wrong, Pulp Fiction is an overrated and boring movie that also might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Pulp Fiction is like The Expendables, it only relies on the actors, which didn't result in a great movie. Yes the actors are superb, and I really enjoyed the wicked humor in Pulp fiction, but the low amount of action and the boring conversations really made this movie boring. Another thing that I didn't enjoy in Pulp Fiction is the story, it's so weird and boring. Did I mention that Pulp Fiction is a boring movie, well it is!

One of the most boring film's I've ever seen.

Pulp Fiction gets a 3/10
  25. Jul 29, 2014
    "Pulp Fiction" is nothing more than an action movie. It is labeled as a "classic", but that's not present in the film. There is violence, humour (even pointless), there are good performances, especially by Samuel L. Jackson, but it is difficult to see past Tarantino's twisted plot. Even though it attempts to make some strong points and expose aspects of gangster America, it may be an"Pulp Fiction" is nothing more than an action movie. It is labeled as a "classic", but that's not present in the film. There is violence, humour (even pointless), there are good performances, especially by Samuel L. Jackson, but it is difficult to see past Tarantino's twisted plot. Even though it attempts to make some strong points and expose aspects of gangster America, it may be an achievement at its time, but is actually worse than the average action movie. Expand
  26. Jul 25, 2014
    I have a lot to say about this movie. The plot is annoyingly simple, the performances are simply awful and Tarantuno's direction is the worst thing i've ever seen in cinema. I mean, it's only different sketches together in one disgusting movie. Im out.
  27. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Pulp Fiction is an excellent movie. Although, it may seen confusing to some (not many people), it was a very good, very original film by Quentin Tarantino.
  28. Jul 10, 2014
    Quentin Tarantino in my opinion is one of the best Director right in the movie scene. Now this Movie is my favorite movie of all time nothing wrong with this film expect is does drag in some parts in this movie like The Watch with Bruce Willis kinda drag in till the end but everything to this film is amazing story, Characters, and the and the only the best speech i have heard in cinemaQuentin Tarantino in my opinion is one of the best Director right in the movie scene. Now this Movie is my favorite movie of all time nothing wrong with this film expect is does drag in some parts in this movie like The Watch with Bruce Willis kinda drag in till the end but everything to this film is amazing story, Characters, and the and the only the best speech i have heard in cinema that why this film deserve what I give it Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2014
    Being one of my favorite films, and one of the best films ever made, Pulp Fiction is smartly written, greatly acted, and surprisingly funny. This is a film you could watch over and over again, I myself having watched it nine times. This is a great film and possibly Tarantino's best film to date.
  30. Jun 1, 2014
    Thought-provoking and thrilling. Pulp Fiction explores the lives of various people, all somehow interconnected with each other in four dazzling tales of violence and redemption. This film has proven to be one of Quentin Tarantino's crowning works and has been regarded as one of the greatest modern day classics of all time. One must be all-focused to watch this film, as the film consists aThought-provoking and thrilling. Pulp Fiction explores the lives of various people, all somehow interconnected with each other in four dazzling tales of violence and redemption. This film has proven to be one of Quentin Tarantino's crowning works and has been regarded as one of the greatest modern day classics of all time. One must be all-focused to watch this film, as the film consists a gamut of memorable scenes and unforgettable quotes. Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta's duet showcase makes this film exceptional and truly one of the greatest couplets in cinema history. Thanks to Tarantino, viewers are able to enjoy a beautiful masterpiece like Pulp Fiction. Expand

The experience overall is like laughing down a gun barrel, a little bit tiring, a lot sick and maybe far too perverse for less jaded moviegoers.
  2. But the way that this picture has been so widely ravened up and drooled over verges on the disgusting. Pulp Fiction nourishes, abets, cultural slumming. [14 Nov 1994]
  3. Pulp Fiction isn't just funny. It's outrageously funny. [14 Oct 1994]