9.0

1. Sep 27, 2011
    Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" is not your average gangster movie where people shoot each other and do drugs. This film is about the highest level of perfection you can achieve in the category of gangster films. Led by smart, controversial directions, "Pulp Fiction" spills in racism, mistakes, faults, God, and redemption into the game of crime. It's simply astonishing to do such thing,Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" is not your average gangster movie where people shoot each other and do drugs. This film is about the highest level of perfection you can achieve in the category of gangster films. Led by smart, controversial directions, "Pulp Fiction" spills in racism, mistakes, faults, God, and redemption into the game of crime. It's simply astonishing to do such thing, which makes the film a long living masterpiece in film history. Expand
  2. May 2, 2011
    One of the zaniest, funniest, smartest and most entertaining movies I have ever seen. One of my all time favorites as well. John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson give terrific performances.
  3. Michelep.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Best movie ever..hands down!
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    Even years after the release the movie feels fresher than many of the movies made today. Quentin Tarantino takes a story, twists it and turns, plays with our expectations and leaves us with a masterpiece.
  5. Jun 7, 2012
    Pulp Fiction may be Tarantino's best film ever. From the opening scene to the very end, there is not a single dull moment. There is always someone getting shot at , someone doing drugs or someone getting cussed at the best possible way.The starring actors do an excellent job, Which is't a surprise. The script is typical in Tarantino's style.Something to note is that the acts aren't inPulp Fiction may be Tarantino's best film ever. From the opening scene to the very end, there is not a single dull moment. There is always someone getting shot at , someone doing drugs or someone getting cussed at the best possible way.The starring actors do an excellent job, Which is't a surprise. The script is typical in Tarantino's style.Something to note is that the acts aren't in chronological order, but will still make sense Expand
  6. julesw.
    Aug 19, 2007
    Best movie of all time.
  7. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Incredible acting (especially Travolta and Jackson), incredible stories and incredible piece of art for Pop culture! Though the end is a bit frustrating, the plot is great, really I mean it.
  8. AaronS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    When one reviews a film, they must look past what is morally incorrect or socially unacceptable and focus on the originality of the film, and the only reason this very original, extreely absorbing movie did not win the Best Picture Oscar is that Forrest Gump was just less controversial. (Albeit just as good)
  9. JasonW.
    Nov 4, 2004
    This is the most entertaining movie i've ever seen. It isn't flawless, but it's as close as i've ever seen. Tarentino goes overboard in every movie he does, but his method fits this film. Bravo! Bravo!
  10. KarstenN.
    Sep 10, 2005
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made, absolutely brilliant.
  11. Ali
    Sep 20, 2005
    One of the best movie i've ever seen.
  12. KentE.
    Apr 1, 2007
    Great movie. One of the best movies of all time. The thing that makes this movie so great is that it doesnt take itself too seriously. Yes the jokes help this movie out a lot, but who cares the jokes are classic "Royal with cheese", "Big Kahuna Burger" "La Big Mac" that opening scene of the movie is classic and probably one of the best parts of movies of all time. So many classic lines Great movie. One of the best movies of all time. The thing that makes this movie so great is that it doesnt take itself too seriously. Yes the jokes help this movie out a lot, but who cares the jokes are classic "Royal with cheese", "Big Kahuna Burger" "La Big Mac" that opening scene of the movie is classic and probably one of the best parts of movies of all time. So many classic lines from this movie and its also well acted and directed. Its a crazy movie, that doesnt make sense, but it doesnt try too, and for those of you who say its too long, go watch a Disney movie or one the horror movies out there today, maybe their more your type of movie, you dont have to think as long. Expand
  13. TroyP.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Funny and entertaining from beginning to end. Amazing script and great acting.
  14. DaveF
    Sep 19, 2008
    The finest thing to come out of America period. the only let down is that i will never be able to watch it again for the first time and have that feeling i had when the credits rolled and i was sat there mouth agape unable to take in the awesomeness of what i had just seen. i think its safe to say its without any doubt the best film ever made by some considerable margin.
  15. NinjaMafia
    Feb 11, 2004
    I finally saw this movie after seemingly thousands of years. I actually saw Kill Bill before this movie so I was having high hopes that Quinten would pull of another masterpeice, and my hopes were met. The movie characters were witty and realistic. Some scenes(the gun accidently going off) were the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Sharp dialogue, clever editing. There just I finally saw this movie after seemingly thousands of years. I actually saw Kill Bill before this movie so I was having high hopes that Quinten would pull of another masterpeice, and my hopes were met. The movie characters were witty and realistic. Some scenes(the gun accidently going off) were the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Sharp dialogue, clever editing. There just isn't alot this movie has going against it, besides the fact that there is no real strong storyline going for it. But that is where the beauty of the film lies, it just feels like we are actually following these guys around on one of their, most likely, not so better days. Does life itselfs have a grand storyline that we all need to follow out? No, and neither does this movie, making it all the more better. The dialogue is also perfect. The hamburger conversation feels like a conversation you would find me and my friends having on a normal day. The only complaint I have about this film is that the second chapter, with the boxer, seemed a bit out of place with the other two chapters. Maybe if they threw in a bit more of Vincent or Jools into the chapter it would have fit in a bit better. With that minor Quipe aside, Pulp Fiction is a movie that is more than just a movie you need to see, you have to see this film or forever be haunted by the awesome that got away. Expand
  16. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    About as perfect as a film will ever get. See it.
  17. NickyE.
    Sep 14, 2005
    [sarcasm] Max W, you seem smart. I like smart people. You should tell the world about Tarantino's crappy ideas and the then REDO Pulp Fiction with your amazing filmmaking skills. I'm sure we would all be pleased with the results. [/sarcasm] But, seriously, this movie is great - if you don't get it... move to Canada (or something like that).
  18. DavidP.
    Sep 21, 2007
    Brilliantly entertaining. This was the movie that revitalized American cinema in the mid 1990s... though it would have been nice if other directors took his example for inspiration rather than just becoming copycats. This is the 10 in Tarantino's repertoire... nothing before or since has been better than an 8.
  19. WesE.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Easily one of the best, most finely-crafted films ever. The only movie that could ever reach the cinematic brilliance of Pulp Fiction was Wizard of Oz, more than 70 years ago.
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    I seriously don't know what to say about this film. It was mind blowing. It was very well written. I loved the dialogue especially the beginning scene in the dinner with Tim Roth. The best part of the film has to be the directing. With Quentin Tarantino there's no way that it's sucks. The stories of different people connecting simultaneously has been bone before but not as good as thisI seriously don't know what to say about this film. It was mind blowing. It was very well written. I loved the dialogue especially the beginning scene in the dinner with Tim Roth. The best part of the film has to be the directing. With Quentin Tarantino there's no way that it's sucks. The stories of different people connecting simultaneously has been bone before but not as good as this masterpiece. John Travolta dying at the middle of the film and walking out of the dinner at the end was very well planed out. This film doesn't even fallow the same time period. Don't forget about the violence. It was very violent and bloody. This film deserved to win best picture at Oscars over Forrest Gump. I don't have much else to say so what are you still doing here. If you haven't seen the movie go see it and if you have seen it go see it again. Expand
  21. May 6, 2012
    The greatest film ever made. Dialogue in the film is perfect, brilliantly written by Tarantino.

A superb performance from John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson.
  22. Jun 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pulp Fiction, probably one of the most memorable movies I have seen. From beginning to end this movie has you glued to you're seat wondering what crazy adventure the characters are going to have next. Not recommended for the whole family but it is a good movie overall to watch. Expand
  23. Apr 18, 2013
    Having proven to be a consumate director with "Reservoir Dogs", Tarantino delivers his magnum opus with "Pulp Fiction". At once brutal, disturbing, and comedic, this classic is actually three separate films melded into one, and the product is one hell of a scintillating experience.
  24. Nov 25, 2013
    An instant classic. Ripe with witticisms and sharp retorts. This is the only instance I actually liked haphazard storytelling, because it actually succeeded in evoking certain feelings, where some of the characters were alive in some story lines and dead in the other, and this made you think what it would have been like if these characters had gotten out in time.

There were long

There were long portions of dialogue dedicated solely to humour, and others to theological and philosophical discussions. There are three stories running in parallel, which often come into contact with the others without affecting them, and are told in a non-linear way.

Among Tarantino's films, I believe it's second only to Django Unchained, which was much more coherent and awe-inspiring, albeit with seemingly unnecessary bloody violence and an inflated running time.
  25. Mar 9, 2013
    An oustanding and strongly built film, Tarantino sets loose one of the best plots of all time not to mention suceeding in showing strong performances by your every day actors Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta who usually lag behind in other films. Pulp Fiction is possibly the strongest and most powerful Tarantino movie besides Inglourious Basterds{read my review for Inglourious BasterdsAn oustanding and strongly built film, Tarantino sets loose one of the best plots of all time not to mention suceeding in showing strong performances by your every day actors Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta who usually lag behind in other films. Pulp Fiction is possibly the strongest and most powerful Tarantino movie besides Inglourious Basterds{read my review for Inglourious Basterds to find out what I said}. Expand
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    I'd seen the first Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs before this. I'd thought some of those were pretty damn good so coming into this I thought "alright Tarantino... show me your best". and surprisingly it delivered. There's so much you can talk about with this film but a lot of it you've probably already heard. It's probably best not to overhype itI'd seen the first Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs before this. I'd thought some of those were pretty damn good so coming into this I thought "alright Tarantino... show me your best". and surprisingly it delivered. There's so much you can talk about with this film but a lot of it you've probably already heard. It's probably best not to overhype it because overhyping films can turn masterpieces into mediocre films. My advice is it's a must watch. Expand
  27. Oct 8, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time! This movie is fun and engaging to the core. The dialogue in this movie is the best example of Tarantino's writing ability. Every character feels genuine and has interesting things to say in interesting ways. Plus the dark comedy that is entwined into the whole movie is simply wonderful.
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is absolutely a genius and this movie proves how is this geniality,an outstanding movie with an non-linear story is great,some movies would serve this movie as an example.
  29. Dec 28, 2010
    This is probably one of the greatest movies ever to hit the silver screen (in my opinion that is). Tarantino, you're one hella director, keep it up. If you haven't seen this movie or you're debating on seeing it, well...SEE IT!!!!!!
  30. Mar 19, 2011
    Yo The Godfather: I'm really happy for you... Imma let you finish, but Pulp Fiction is the best movie of ALL TIME... of ALL TIME!!! but really I have yet to see better movie
  31. PeterP.
    Jan 22, 2008
    If your idea of a good movie is filled with slow motion or flashy action sequences, love scenes, and a clear cut happy ending, don't watch this movie. But if you want something gritty, real and entirely different than most the movies out there, you just might need to see this one.
  32. FelixK.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Definitely belongs to the 10 best movies of all times !!! The story and the dialogues are just awesome and it's really sad to see that it only received the script-oscar. What about this ridiculous Forrest Gump is worth these many trophies !
  33. MM.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, of course. But I don't think that any serious viewer -- or at least any viewer with an opinion worth considering -- will grant Pulp Fiction its rightful place in the canon. That doesn't mean the film is perfect or that reasonable viewers can't differ on its relative strengths and weaknesses. Those who find the dialogue too Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, of course. But I don't think that any serious viewer -- or at least any viewer with an opinion worth considering -- will grant Pulp Fiction its rightful place in the canon. That doesn't mean the film is perfect or that reasonable viewers can't differ on its relative strengths and weaknesses. Those who find the dialogue too steeped in post-modern hipsterism, however, can still marvel at a non-linear storyline that may best "Citizen Kane" in its elegance and ingenuity. Those who find some of the plot twists (think Gimp, baby) too contrived can still appreciate performances -- and character interactions -- whose artistry will stun audiences for many, many generations to come. In other words....hell, that guy below is right: If you don't find something -- or lots of things -- to love about this movie, see a doctor. It's time to get that stick removed. Expand
  34. Dec 17, 2010
    Not a huge fan of all of Tarantino's films but this one is great. Great music.. great cast... great dialog!!!!!!

Must see - *highlights* Samuel J, Travolta, Steve B... great performances
  35. Jan 23, 2012
    An unbelievably acted directed and written film. The film is engaging and very funny. The film is very engaging and is never dull. All the scenes in the film are superbly crafted and there is not one thing wrong I can say about this film. A true masterpiece and one of the best films of all time. To bad the rest of tarantinos films I have not enjoyed although I have not seen Kill Bill 2An unbelievably acted directed and written film. The film is engaging and very funny. The film is very engaging and is never dull. All the scenes in the film are superbly crafted and there is not one thing wrong I can say about this film. A true masterpiece and one of the best films of all time. To bad the rest of tarantinos films I have not enjoyed although I have not seen Kill Bill 2 and resevoir dogs. Expand
  36. guess
    Sep 26, 2005
    One of my faves.
  37. Jul 20, 2013
    One of the most influential films of the 1990s, Pulp Fiction is a delirious post-modern mix of neo-noir thrills, pitch-black humor, and pop-culture touchstones.
  38. Nov 2, 2011
    apparently,this movie has been overatted by the critics.this movie's really an incorrigible and incoherant rubbish. i call this movie a "ROTTEN FICTION".
  39. ArnaldoB.
    Jan 27, 2004
    Most overrated movie I have ever seen.
  40. Dec 16, 2011
    Overrated to the point of ridicule. Pulp Fiction, what is supposed to be one of the greatest films ever, was a cluster of bizarre scenes that were patched up like a rag doll.
  41. ChipZ.
    Jun 6, 2005
    A civilization which can produce, acclaim, and laugh at this movie does not deserve to continue existing, or to have ever existed.
  42. dh
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tarantino's movies are way overrated. Not saying this film was rubbish. It was fun and all but for it to be in metacritics all time top 10 is bad. I don't know why there are critics- i always look at the viewers section as its always more accurate!
  43. GordonM.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Yes, there are movies much gorier than Pulp Fiction but few directed by major directors that are as ugly. A movie like Schindler's List or Platoon is more violent quantitatively than Pulp Fiction yet Tarantino's violence is just a smart-dumb declaration of contempt for humanity. Personally, Marvin's head exploding upsets me far less than having other characters go at Yes, there are movies much gorier than Pulp Fiction but few directed by major directors that are as ugly. A movie like Schindler's List or Platoon is more violent quantitatively than Pulp Fiction yet Tarantino's violence is just a smart-dumb declaration of contempt for humanity. Personally, Marvin's head exploding upsets me far less than having other characters go at length, cracking jokes about a 'nigger's brains splattered across my windshield'. This is to be expected from the likes of Howard Stern or Mancow, but I expected more from the director of Reservoir Dogs. One reviewer mentioned the "right balance between tension and black comedy" in Uma Thurman's overdose scene. But, what balance? Braindead indifference pervades the entire scene, as though stupid laughter and infantile apathy were the highest forms of human expression. Inhumanity can be funny, black humor can have a point but context is everything. Three Stooges films, though cruel, are too outlandish to offend. Dr. Strangelove's misanthropic vision nests a pessimistic but genuine humanism. Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, is far too graphic to be dismissed as a cartoon and far too infantile to take seriously, offending without purpose. As for its big Bible (mis)quote, it's a clever piece of writing and powerful instance of Jackson's estimable talent but offensive served up as a sermon. I don't doubt that criminals have their unique moral codes; that they, like everyone else, go thru some kind of existential trial-by-fire whereby limited knowledge, pride, guilt, fear, weariness, and other factors merge toward formulating a new outlook on life; in other words, no one is ever totally condemned nor saved; we hover between sin and redemption. Yet, Tarantino gives Jackson the bully pulpit upon which to spew his mostly insane--albeit cleverly written--vomit, which we in the audience are supposed to behold as some higher, magnificent, and original form of hipsterish wisdom combining timeless truths of the Scriptures with the nihilistic cool of the gangsta. I just don't buy the hype. It's a cliche in movies to have blacks play judges because of the popular image of noble negro having overcome centuries of suffering; Jackson's sermonizing is in that mold; it's Tarantino the white boy's infatuation with black machismo smoothed around the edges by the notions of the spiritual negro, placed atop the altar of the church of the hipsterich badass cool(it's just a foulmouthered version of Legend of Bagger Vance). To each his own; I find it hollow. Tarantino has debased his considerable talent for ugly purposes. No matter how gracefully one shovels s***, it's still s***. Why go to such length to create plausible characters, write witty dialogue, mimic real gore and violence to wallow in foul artifice? Movies reflect human thought, values, emotions, and society. A movie celebrating dogfighting--even if all the dogfights were faked--is as bad as dogfighting. A movie glorifying the Holocaust or the Gulag--even if no one's actually killed--is as repugnant as the real thing because human thought and action are not entirely separate, which is why Birth of a Nation is not JUST A MOVIE. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, if not a dogfight movie, is a humanfight movie. A movie that glibly takes pleasure in people as morons mangling one another. Movies don't have to show only the good side of mankind nor do they have to be didactic. But, the difference between Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction is Scorsese doesn't turn himself into a fanboy accomplice of louts and retards. But Pulp Fiction, unlike Goodfellas--or even Reservoir Dogs, for that matter--is nothing without Tarantino's addlebrained, infantile piggybackriding on the shoulders of inhumanity. That he's clever and packed his film with all sorts of homages to Noir, French New Wave, forgotten TV shows ultimately mean nothing; one can find similarly pointless but interesting conservations in Taxi cabs. What matters is Tarantino decided to make his film revolve around disturbing violence, mayhem, and murder, yet all he could come up with are gay redneck jokes, a splattered 'nigger's brains' joke, and a nauseating pulpy sermon. It's a good movie for anyone who wants to squeal like a pig which sadly applies to most critics who bent over backwards--or forwards--for this rot. Expand
  44. Jul 25, 2014
    I have a lot to say about this movie. The plot is annoyingly simple, the performances are simply awful and Tarantuno's direction is the worst thing i've ever seen in cinema. I mean, it's only different sketches together in one disgusting movie. Im out.
  45. EricG
    Nov 15, 2008
    Not the worst movie ever, but certainly not the masterpiece it was built up to be: Not funny, not interesting, no real story to tell, Didn't like and couldn't relate to any of the characters. In short, this movie is 2.5 hours of pure garbage.
  46. MaxW
    Aug 13, 2005
    Tarantino is a horrible director with crappy ideas.
  47. AriB.
    Jul 21, 2005
    I just don't get it. Why do they love this film so much? It's a stupid movie about stupid people. Nothing's funny. Nothing was built up. There was nothing to think about. It felt like artistic rape. I wasn't even bored, but I wanted to walk out. This movie felt like modern art that just went over my head and flushed into the toilet. It's one notch up the Beavis I just don't get it. Why do they love this film so much? It's a stupid movie about stupid people. Nothing's funny. Nothing was built up. There was nothing to think about. It felt like artistic rape. I wasn't even bored, but I wanted to walk out. This movie felt like modern art that just went over my head and flushed into the toilet. It's one notch up the Beavis and Butthead movie and half a notch up My Boss' Daughter. Maybe like it's one of those really ugly sculptures that is so riveting that some people just have to love it while some just cannot. The briefcase?? Who cares? Salvation??? How? This movie was so infuriating, I can't even give it a zero rating. Expand
  48. PamL.
    May 20, 2006
    I went to see this movie with my husband when it first came out. I found it so disgusting and frankly boring that for the first (and only time in my life) I walked out of the theater after about 20 minutes. While my husband watched, I struck up a much more fascinating conversation in the lobby with an older usher from the U.K. who had been a jockey.
  49. KenL.
    Aug 30, 2006
    [***SPOILERs***] I'm not a prude. i liked "the godfather." and john carpenter's "the thing," which registers pretty darn high on the gore scale, is one of my all-time favorite movies. but "pulp fiction" is cinematic masturbation at its most juvenile. it's one long series of self-indulgent gangland fantasies as seen through the eyes of someone who us under the impression that[***SPOILERs***] I'm not a prude. i liked "the godfather." and john carpenter's "the thing," which registers pretty darn high on the gore scale, is one of my all-time favorite movies. but "pulp fiction" is cinematic masturbation at its most juvenile. it's one long series of self-indulgent gangland fantasies as seen through the eyes of someone who us under the impression that combining irony with violence equals brilliance. it's uncannily similar to when a young person figures out how to be sarcastic. he/she will revel in his/her newfound powers of irony at every opportunity, until it becomes a matter of sheer self-indulgence. see such film triumphs as these: a righteous african american quoting the bible as he riddles the bodies of young men with enough lead to shield superman's gonads from the motherlode of kryptonite. (oh my god, best movie of all time!!!) a sadistic inbred freak getting a taste of his own sodomy...from a righteous black man who moments before was on the receiving end of the same prescription. (never before in the history of culture have we seen such brilliance!!!!) a girl who o.d'ed getting stabbed in the heart with a giant needle filled with adrenalin, jumping up and, when asked to say something, says "something" in a rather nonplussed fashion--followed by a "whoa...that's trippy" from one of the other participants. (that rawks, man! even more than when i'm watching the real beavis and butthead!!!) killers on their way to assassinate someone speaking of such banalities as a quarter pounder with cheese being called a royale du fromage in france. (did you see how the boy king managed to make his killers a thousand times more awesomely hitmenlike by juxtaposing their murderous activities with mcdonalds' cheeseburgers--brilliantly referencing an american cultural icon along the way?!!) tarantino cannot for one moment resist the compulsion to punch you in the face with his brass knuckles of irony. the violence in "pulp fiction" and "natural born killers" clearly resides in the realm of self-indulgence. he makes his characters commit outrageously violent acts with not only ironic indifference, but with shocking detachment, which of course is meant to show not just how badass they are, but to shock the viewer into a kind of slack-jawed awe. when he won an academy award for "pulp fiction," he and his friend abruptly wrapped up their thoroughly inelegant acceptance comments--as it could hardly have been called a speech--with the decidedly juvenile comment, "if you'll excuse me now, i have to go pee." oh well. with these guys, it's either cinematic urination or cinematic masturbation. Collapse
  50. SeanW.
    Mar 20, 2002
    A classic? Glorified violence, cheesy characters, horrendous language- this is what qualifies as a classic these days? Just the resurrection of John Revolta's career is bad enough, but- please, Taratino is a perverted person, and I don't care how deep he's supposed to be, his movies are rubbish.
  51. GrahamN.
    Jul 20, 2002
    This movie certainly isn't bad, but it certainly is not the classic that some make it out to be. Perhaps my biggest beef with the movie is that the characters who are so central to the movie (it has little plot) are not deep nor thought provoking at all, possibly with the exception of Jules. Mia is a hopeless cliche druggie, Marsellus has no depth at all, and Travolta's This movie certainly isn't bad, but it certainly is not the classic that some make it out to be. Perhaps my biggest beef with the movie is that the characters who are so central to the movie (it has little plot) are not deep nor thought provoking at all, possibly with the exception of Jules. Mia is a hopeless cliche druggie, Marsellus has no depth at all, and Travolta's portrayal of Vincent is typical of an obsequious yes-man. The three-story thing was kinda cool, but of course it's been done before in plenty of films, the deer hunter is the only one that comes to mind but I remembered seeing it in plenty of others. Overall if you're looking for a movie in this vein that is truly a classic, look more to Leon the Professional. Expand
  52. JakeM.
    Jul 2, 2002
    BOOOO!!!!! The only reason way this movie gets a 5 is because Samuel had messed up hair, which is funny because he is stupid. Also the idea of trying to show the lows of being a killer is cool, and original, its just the way Tarantino put it together is crap. Like he pulled it out of his butt when he was on the throne. The only good Tarantino movie is a burned Tarantino movie, all but BOOOO!!!!! The only reason way this movie gets a 5 is because Samuel had messed up hair, which is funny because he is stupid. Also the idea of trying to show the lows of being a killer is cool, and original, its just the way Tarantino put it together is crap. Like he pulled it out of his butt when he was on the throne. The only good Tarantino movie is a burned Tarantino movie, all but From Dusk Til' Dawn. (That is the ONLY exception.) So if you like watching a dude's head explode or seeing someone getting wasted then i guess you can watch this movie. But its not on my recommend list. Expand
  53. VictoriaM.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Thank you to all those who voted 0 to 3 rating on this horrible garbage. I have never seen such tripe and never will again. I thought the whole world had gone mad, but there are a few sane voices in the wilderness.
  54. JohnH.
    Apr 2, 2006
    The movie was disgusting and devoid of plot. In the same way that American Graffiti offered a portrait of tween-life in the '60s, it offers a sketch of how gangsters and druggies get by. At least this was all I could produce of a point. The scene with Christopher Walken was supposed to be a highlight of the comedy. He stuck a watch up his butt. Get it? Yeah, real masterful humor. No The movie was disgusting and devoid of plot. In the same way that American Graffiti offered a portrait of tween-life in the '60s, it offers a sketch of how gangsters and druggies get by. At least this was all I could produce of a point. The scene with Christopher Walken was supposed to be a highlight of the comedy. He stuck a watch up his butt. Get it? Yeah, real masterful humor. No second grader could come up with that. The ending was kind of cute. Too bad it was not at all related to any of the other gross shots in the movie. It was just kind of there, for its own sake. Expand
  55. KentC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Very funny at times, it will hold your interest for pretty much all of the movie. Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis were a blast to watch, but i'm not a big fan of Travolta. The dialogue is usual Tarantino affair, with lots of cursing and pop culture references and usually pretty clever. It never got boring, either. Some scenes are unnecessary (the very disturbing bondage rape scene). Not Very funny at times, it will hold your interest for pretty much all of the movie. Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis were a blast to watch, but i'm not a big fan of Travolta. The dialogue is usual Tarantino affair, with lots of cursing and pop culture references and usually pretty clever. It never got boring, either. Some scenes are unnecessary (the very disturbing bondage rape scene). Not for kids. Expand
  56. JS
    Jan 8, 2008
    Amoral garbage. Most people don't understand this because a) Tarantino, though repulsively glib, has a rare gift; b) this gift is for making slicker than slick movies that don't bear a moment's reflection; and c) most people don't like reflecting on the kind of bloodbaths Tarantino offers here.
  57. TylerC.
    Dec 17, 2003
    I waited 9 years to see this movie and after 9 years I see that I should have waited longer. I'm sorry to say this but I do not think that rape is entertaining. Also, after seeing Reservoir Dogs I do not think that torture is entertaining. I feel horrible that this sick crap entertains so many.
  58. ChrisE.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Overated.
  59. RoseM
    May 1, 2005
    Yes, the movie was funny. It was NOT original, just like nothing QT does is original. And I'm not going to get past a Black man being raped and all the "ni..ers" uttered by QT: they were unnecessary to what little plot there was. The Boxing chapter was the best, but there were better ways have Marcellus forgive the slight. I don't know why ppl are obsessed with QT, other than Yes, the movie was funny. It was NOT original, just like nothing QT does is original. And I'm not going to get past a Black man being raped and all the "ni..ers" uttered by QT: they were unnecessary to what little plot there was. The Boxing chapter was the best, but there were better ways have Marcellus forgive the slight. I don't know why ppl are obsessed with QT, other than the sad idea that ppl are more depraved than I thought. After sitting thru Kill Bill recently, QT's mediocrity was confirmed. He has technical gifts but can't write, can't act and has no discernible panache. Expand
  60. GaneshV.
    May 16, 2005
    I hadn't watched this movie for a long time after its release, but i have always heard people telling me how good this movie was and that i should watch it. to be honest it was totally way below my expectations. I mean, the filming style and the direction was entertaining, but how much longer is Quentin Tarantino going to rely on that. He really needs to come up with something I hadn't watched this movie for a long time after its release, but i have always heard people telling me how good this movie was and that i should watch it. to be honest it was totally way below my expectations. I mean, the filming style and the direction was entertaining, but how much longer is Quentin Tarantino going to rely on that. He really needs to come up with something new...by the way they never really show whats there inside the suitcase!!! explain that! Expand
  61. J.RyanG.
    May 23, 2005
    Perhaps the greatest film ever made, but only a few inches from horrible. This is risk-taking at its most exhilarating. Minor tweaks in the script or the casting, one would think, might disrupt its undeniable rhythm and punch. Though there are many reasons to love and admire this film, all can be summed up by merely watching people watching this film--and how great it must be to watch a Perhaps the greatest film ever made, but only a few inches from horrible. This is risk-taking at its most exhilarating. Minor tweaks in the script or the casting, one would think, might disrupt its undeniable rhythm and punch. Though there are many reasons to love and admire this film, all can be summed up by merely watching people watching this film--and how great it must be to watch a film school class picking it apart scene-by-scene. Everything, every last line, every minor quiver of the speaker's upper lip, operates faithfully in divine service to the film's totality. Expand
  62. IllyaZ.
    May 30, 2005
    One of the best films ever!
  63. J.H.
    Feb 7, 2007
    A long winded, often boring, waaayyyy too long movie written around catch phrases and gratuitous violence that sold a fortune of cool posters to college kids all over the world. One long t.v. commercial with endless "props" to 50 years of pop culture. Gets a three for some of the acting and nothing else.
  64. RaifH.
    Nov 3, 2003
    Depressing, dehumanizing, desensitizing. Tarantino is an exploitive hack, a 7th grader trying to shock.
  65. YoonMinC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    [***SPOILERS***] Kudos to Tarantino's witty writing and his inventive framing device. Also, his way with actors is saucy and savvy. However, this is an ugly orgy of inhumanity, cinema as hacked off body parts strewn like so much trash. It's one thing to lampoon or parody violence but when one splashes the screen with violence this graphic and gory there should be some moral[***SPOILERS***] Kudos to Tarantino's witty writing and his inventive framing device. Also, his way with actors is saucy and savvy. However, this is an ugly orgy of inhumanity, cinema as hacked off body parts strewn like so much trash. It's one thing to lampoon or parody violence but when one splashes the screen with violence this graphic and gory there should be some moral accounting. Tarantino, who was up to such demand in Resevoir Dogs, goes into dumb 70s exploitation movie mode here, piling up dead, mangled, or bruised bodies while goading us to sneer and laugh like a bunch of doped out retards. One scene is an extended joke on saving an O.D.ed woman with a thick needle stabbed into her heart. Another scene has Jackson ruthlessly shoot a bunch of teens while making grand speeches misquoted from the Bible. Another has a bunch of rednecks bugger a black man only to have Bruce Willis turn the tide by slashing one with a sword, allowing the buggered black man(Rhames)to grab a shotgun and blow off the testicles of one of the rednecks and then make Burn Baby Burn speeches. This is ugly as cinema and offensive as moralizing. It's a smug, snide, sneering exercise in hipsterish cool and if this movie is the measure how 'with-it' anyone is, I'm proud to be lame. Some will say I just don't get it. Yes, I don't get dogfighting either. Nor, the pasttime of herding up foxes and clubbing them to death to the delight of onlookers; nor the joys of lynching. But, it's just a movie, no? Not when it's praised as the greatest thing since Shakespeare. Expand
  66. KenL.
    Sep 12, 2006
    [***SPOILERs***] I'm not a prude. i liked "the godfather." and john carpenter's "the thing," which registers pretty darn high on the gore scale, is one of my all-time favorite movies. but "pulp fiction" is cinematic masturbation at its most juvenile. it's one long series of self-indulgent gangland fantasies as seen through the eyes of someone who us under the impression that[***SPOILERs***] I'm not a prude. i liked "the godfather." and john carpenter's "the thing," which registers pretty darn high on the gore scale, is one of my all-time favorite movies. but "pulp fiction" is cinematic masturbation at its most juvenile. it's one long series of self-indulgent gangland fantasies as seen through the eyes of someone who us under the impression that combining irony with violence equals brilliance. it's uncannily similar to when a young person figures out how to be sarcastic. he/she will revel in his/her newfound powers of irony at every opportunity, until it becomes a matter of sheer self-indulgence. see such film triumphs as these: a righteous african american quoting the bible as he riddles the bodies of young men with enough lead to shield superman's gonads from the motherlode of kryptonite. (oh my god, best movie of all time!!!) a sadistic inbred freak getting a taste of his own sodomy...from a righteous black man who moments before was on the receiving end of the same prescription. (never before in the history of culture have we seen such brilliance!!!!) a girl who o.d'ed getting stabbed in the heart with a giant needle filled with adrenalin, jumping up and, when asked to say something, says "something" in a rather nonplussed fashion--followed by a "whoa...that's trippy" from one of the other participants. (that rawks, man! even more than when i'm watching the real beavis and butthead!!!) killers on their way to assassinate someone speaking of such banalities as a quarter pounder with cheese being called a royale du fromage in france. (did you see how the boy king managed to make his killers a thousand times more awesomely hitmenlike by juxtaposing their murderous activities with mcdonalds' cheeseburgers--brilliantly referencing an american cultural icon along the way?!!) tarantino cannot for one moment resist the compulsion to punch you in the face with his brass knuckles of irony. the violence in "pulp fiction" and "natural born killers" clearly resides in the realm of self-indulgence. he makes his characters commit outrageously violent acts with not only ironic indifference, but with shocking detachment, which of course is meant to show not just how badass they are, but to shock the viewer into a kind of slack-jawed awe. when he won an academy award for "pulp fiction," he and his friend abruptly wrapped up their thoroughly inelegant acceptance comments--as it could hardly have been called a speech--with the decidedly juvenile comment, "if you'll excuse me now, i have to go pee." oh well. with these guys, it's either cinematic urination or cinematic masturbation. Expand
  67. CK
    Dec 26, 2007
    We are movie fanatics who watched this cinematic pile of crap with seven other people ranging in age from 22 to 86. We watch a lot of movies in all genres, and we all thought it was the most overrated piece of vulgar garbage with gratuitous violence, foul language, and on top of it, waaaay too boring. Don't know what deep thought anyone is talking about. We have removed this from our We are movie fanatics who watched this cinematic pile of crap with seven other people ranging in age from 22 to 86. We watch a lot of movies in all genres, and we all thought it was the most overrated piece of vulgar garbage with gratuitous violence, foul language, and on top of it, waaaay too boring. Don't know what deep thought anyone is talking about. We have removed this from our collection. BTW, I have never given a movie a 0 before, and we have over 2000 movies in our collection. I echo those who say stay away..... Expand
  68. Nov 2, 2010
    It's hard for me to rate a movie over 8 because I think only near perfect works of art deserve a 9 or a 10 when it comes to movies. This one is a perfect example of this. This movie sets the bar for other action films to measure against. The different interconnecting stories the cast, just about everything here is amazing.
  69. Nov 4, 2010
    Quentin Tarantino creates something new and original - combing the stories of a boxer, two hit men and a gangsters wife into a 154 minutes of masterful filmmaking.
  70. May 16, 2013
    A very interesting movie. Its combination of extreme violence and creates something unique and fantastic. The cast is filled with some of the best actors out there and the writing is just fantastic. It's unlike anything you've ever seen before.
  71. Jan 11, 2011
    Thiz movie known as the most talked about movie. The movie that acquired a lot of good reviews from most critics. You must see it yourself then you understand why. Starred by many well-known Actors, such as: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis and many. Directed by Quentin Tarantino, the eccentric Director. The plot is unusual, but very interesting in a strange way.Thiz movie known as the most talked about movie. The movie that acquired a lot of good reviews from most critics. You must see it yourself then you understand why. Starred by many well-known Actors, such as: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis and many. Directed by Quentin Tarantino, the eccentric Director. The plot is unusual, but very interesting in a strange way. The Script made by Tarantino himself. Very confusing plot around the movie. Move forward and backward along the movie. These elements that made people appreciate it. You must see over and over to understand the idea. However, actually the plot is an ordinary plot just like other ordinary movie but the editing made it great for overall. The other factor that make thiz movie unforgettable is the dialogues. The dialogues are mostly long but colorful, rude but exciting. Thiz movie costs by limited budget, but still a lot of well-known stars involved. Thiz proofs that The Actors know there is something different on the script to offer. The other memorable scene you will never forget is when Travolta and Truman dancing. The dancing is cult. People remember Travolta for musical movies, such as SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977) and GREASE (1978). When we see him appear at movie again for such a long time and we see him dancing by his present figure, something magical happens. That is the fun part. If you like independent movie, Totally you must see this movie

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  72. Mar 2, 2011
    Silly hair, terrible casts. Watch it on 90's maybe will be better? I like Quentin Tarantino, but this flick seems pointless and strange. Universal acclaim didnt attract me give better score.
  73. Aug 12, 2011
    I watch movies to kind of, "escape" from real life, where there is not much interesting going on. I watch movies expecting they are interesting, with (perhaps) twists and turns, and action, or some comedy. Naturally I didn't expect comedy or action, but it was the dullest movie I have ever seen. It was so boring, barely any plot development. It is considered a good movie probably onlyI watch movies to kind of, "escape" from real life, where there is not much interesting going on. I watch movies expecting they are interesting, with (perhaps) twists and turns, and action, or some comedy. Naturally I didn't expect comedy or action, but it was the dullest movie I have ever seen. It was so boring, barely any plot development. It is considered a good movie probably only because the sequence of events was reorganized. Another overrated movie by Quentin Tarantino (much like Kill Bill which also sucked @ss). Expand
  74. pos
    Sep 2, 2011
    A crowning achievement in film. a true masterpiece. this films got it all great characters, soundtrack, story, comedy, wonderfully put together with some some of the best dialogue and writing in film history. the finest work from a true film genius quentin tarantino.
  75. Apr 5, 2012
    Tarantino has good movies, but to me this is not his best. As many, I believe Pulp Fiction is overrated. Personally, I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs much more. Of course I can't say this is a bad movie, for that would be unfair; but it is not, in my opinion, a masterpiece. Tarantino has made himself a name because his movies are different and challenge our ideas of 'normality', but I don't seeTarantino has good movies, but to me this is not his best. As many, I believe Pulp Fiction is overrated. Personally, I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs much more. Of course I can't say this is a bad movie, for that would be unfair; but it is not, in my opinion, a masterpiece. Tarantino has made himself a name because his movies are different and challenge our ideas of 'normality', but I don't see any greatness' in Pulp Fiction. I didn't find it engaging or profound; I didn't feel it was particularly fun or witty either. I guess most people either like this film or hate it. I am ambivalent about it. I think because of its cinematography, the good performances, and its peculiarity it deserves a 7. To me, giving it more than that is bestowing this movie with a nature and trascendence it doesn't have. However, I am okey if you disagree with me and I can see why. Expand
  76. Jan 24, 2012
    The plot is a little confusing at times (during Bruce Willis's part of the film) but overall its interesting and you gotta pay close attention to it. The cast is good ,not as great as people make it seem to be. There are parts in the movie that are excellent as well (usually the parts with Samuel L. Jackson). Overall its just a good film and worth the watch.
  77. Apr 16, 2012
    An epic movie, I don't be a fan of Tarantino, some of his movies are awful (in the good sense) for me (Hostal scare me and much). But Pulp Fiction is a master piece film, is really incredible, the development is supreme, the performances of all the cast are amazing, I love this movie.
  78. Feb 16, 2013
    Ok, so this is the famous Tarantino masterpiece everyone is talking about. Ok, for starters, I thought the scene selection thing on my dvd was on random mode. People were dead in one scene then all of a sudden alive in the next. It didn't make sense and I was so confused I was a little sick in my stomach. Also, the movie was very racist, with Tarantino's script using the nasty word as muchOk, so this is the famous Tarantino masterpiece everyone is talking about. Ok, for starters, I thought the scene selection thing on my dvd was on random mode. People were dead in one scene then all of a sudden alive in the next. It didn't make sense and I was so confused I was a little sick in my stomach. Also, the movie was very racist, with Tarantino's script using the nasty word as much as he could. One of them even gets bummed. Everyone in this seems hell bent on using drugs, violence, racism of fatty fast food to get by. This may be how life was depicted in 1994 but it's a whole nother story in 2013. Get with the times, people... Expand
  79. May 24, 2013
    this movie is beyond being overrated i mean there is an overrated movies and there is pulp fiction
    let's break it down shall we ?
    some people are impressed that it's 3 stories together REALLY is that impressive how about the movie babel why it's not a critically acclaimed movie like this ? the script is so corny that you can hear it from people while street walking the directing
    let's break it down shall we ?
    how about the movie babel why it's not a critically acclaimed movie like this ?
    the script is so corny that you can hear it from people while street walking
    the directing OK what's great about it did you see the end of the movie and how the scenes connected together oh yes this called lack of imagination
    the performances is so annoying that it makes you question those actors resumes especially Samuel L. Jackson
    the homosexual rape is the weirdest thing i ever seen in a Hollywood movie and that's not even the worst part it doesn't add a thing to the story.
    the characters are ridiculous and i can go on and on but there is no point
    i guess some people get tricked into thinking that the movie is good
    because it's a Quentin Tarantino movie without actually watching the movie.
  80. Feb 2, 2014
    Average movie, nothing stand out in particular, Samuel Jackson is crap, so does Travolta and this is the most offensive and racist movie ever, Quetin Tarantino is racist as hell, how could Hollywood would allow a White guy to use the word N***** in this movie?
  81. StevenO.
    Jul 10, 2009
    Very original. Quentin Tarantino took different situations and brought them together. This movie really brings out the different characters and their situations as well as how these situations effect each other and themselves. Definitely a good movie to watch with a Royale with Cheese.
  82. Cy
    Jun 20, 2002
    Liked it the first time, loved it the secound time. Excellent movie.
  83. S.Barnes
    May 6, 2009
    This film is continuously hilarious from beginning to end. With it
  84. E.W.
    Sep 8, 2002
    An excellent example of a heady movie that imerses the person in the environment of the situation. Anyone who says this movie isnt deep isn't smart enough to see it at that level. Enough Said.
  85. JustinT.
    Sep 9, 2002
    My favorite movie ever.
  86. GeorgeM.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Thrilling AND Hilarious! Masterpiece!
  87. AldoM.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Very unique and it's Jules dammit! Not Jools.
  88. C.B.
    Oct 20, 2005
    I still remember how giddy and excited I was while I was watching this movie in the theater. A top ten favorite of mine.
  89. MaxC.
    Mar 10, 2005
    The movie is among the best original movies ever made. Tarantino pushes the boundaries and accomplishes to create a masterpiece that has becomed a cult phenomenom. The people who have rated this movie with a low rating should've watched the latest Jackie Chan movie. I still believe that a Pulp Fiction sequel is very possible, one where it would show that main characters in the time The movie is among the best original movies ever made. Tarantino pushes the boundaries and accomplishes to create a masterpiece that has becomed a cult phenomenom. The people who have rated this movie with a low rating should've watched the latest Jackie Chan movie. I still believe that a Pulp Fiction sequel is very possible, one where it would show that main characters in the time before they were ever involved in the original film and it would show everything leading up to the events of the film. Dark comedies rock and Pulp Fiction is the second best dark comedy, being beaten only by the truly cult classic: Dr. Strangelove: or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. If you havent seen this movie yet, go buy it now because 50 years from now people will still find this film to be refreshing in a world made up of hollywood special effects popcorn movies. Enjoy! Expand
  90. MichaelK.
    Apr 1, 2005
    THE FILM.
  91. GilgameshX.
    Jul 26, 2005
    It isnt supposed to be funny, you morons. Pulp Fiction is to comedy as George Bush is to president.
  92. SamX.
    Apr 1, 2006
    Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favourites. It has a timeless feel to it, excellent cast, excellent plot and a genius-come-director Quentin Tarentino. The reviewers that vote this 0 and don't come up with a better explanation than that it's 'sick, evil, sicksickdsfieevil' are clearly idiots who have probably never seen the film itself. Tarentino, you either love him Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favourites. It has a timeless feel to it, excellent cast, excellent plot and a genius-come-director Quentin Tarentino. The reviewers that vote this 0 and don't come up with a better explanation than that it's 'sick, evil, sicksickdsfieevil' are clearly idiots who have probably never seen the film itself. Tarentino, you either love him or hate him and his films, but back up your arguments. Pulp Fiction was an instant classic and always will be. Expand
  93. IlirC.
    Jul 30, 2006
    overall a good movie with great dialogue...i wouldnt really call this a movie though rather a combination of 3 short scenes.
  94. adityam
    Sep 5, 2009
    Oh God! I just couldn't believe what I have watched here. I have watched a Masterpiece. I do not say it out of respect as I did for The Godfather, but I say it out of pure exhilaration and relief (Quiet the opposite what you witness on the surface). For the first time after many ages I don't feel guilty about giving a film 10/10.
  95. zackm
    Jan 2, 2010
    I can honestly say that this is one of the best genre changing films of the past few decades since the godfather or the goodfellas. if i made a list of my top ten favorite movies pulp fiction would without a doubt be on there somewhere.
  96. Tony
    Feb 2, 2002
    Uh. It's great.
  97. D.S.
    Oct 8, 2003
    Best movie of the past 20 years.
  98. GeorgeS.
    Apr 7, 2003
    It's a good movie.
  99. KevinF.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Pulp Fiction is quite simply one of the greatest films of all time. It's fantastic from start to finish.
  100. BrennanJ.
    Jul 6, 2004
    I personally love this movie. But in all honesty, this goes for all of QT's movies, you usually will absolutely love them, or be completely disgusted by them. I don't like to stereotype, but the people who usually will give it 0 are the older, more conservative people, probably very religious and would consider even liking this movie immoral. So with this I'm not surprised I personally love this movie. But in all honesty, this goes for all of QT's movies, you usually will absolutely love them, or be completely disgusted by them. I don't like to stereotype, but the people who usually will give it 0 are the older, more conservative people, probably very religious and would consider even liking this movie immoral. So with this I'm not surprised at all to see so many 10's and even some 0's, but just that fact that you will be head over heels in love with the work of this director, or hate it and never have to watch it again, it's worth watching one of his movies for the first time. The greatest part of this movie is not the story itself, but the way in which the movie is made. Never before have I actually seen such talent in a director from watching a movie. Quentin takes story lines that almost have nothing to them, and turns it into something so incredible, you can't even explain it, it's something that has to be seen. Expand

The experience overall is like laughing down a gun barrel, a little bit tiring, a lot sick and maybe far too perverse for less jaded moviegoers.
  2. But the way that this picture has been so widely ravened up and drooled over verges on the disgusting. Pulp Fiction nourishes, abets, cultural slumming. [14 Nov 1994]
  3. Pulp Fiction isn't just funny. It's outrageously funny. [14 Oct 1994]