6.8

1. Jun 19, 2013
    After watching this movie I thought to myself what is Adam Sandler doing. This guy can really act granted Paul Thomas Anderson is brilliant, but Sandler gives an outstanding performance. I connected in so many ways with Barry and that's a credit to Sandler. I so hope one day after he is done making the likes of Jack and Jill and Grown Ups 2, he might get another shot at making something meaningful. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2010
    ADAM SANDLER FANS READ:

Well, the very fact that most of Sandler's movies are childish incoherent blurs of unrealistic character portrayal was an early indication that I wouldn't like this movie. I was wrong. This is the only good Sandler movie and his only amazing performance. PT Anderson's genius shows here, creating a masterpiece while at the same time moulding Sander into a socially
    inept character, telling the kind of love story that only pt anderson fans and semi-intelligent film fanatics can funny comprehend. ACTING: Amazing, Sandler should quit the crap that he does now and start realacting. All characters, even minor ones, were brilliant.

DIRECTING. PT Anderson: Enough said.

PLOT: It would be a simple plot, but the strange elements make this movie what it is, and turns it from a simple romantic comedy into a kind of surreal love tale with comedic parts included.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The best thing about this film. Anderson knows what he's doing and again, proves why most Sandler fans don't like this movie, as they aren't used to such a complex piece of genius.

CHARACTERS: Almost like Magnolia in the way that all characters tell their own story. You feel sorry and embarrassed for Barry Egan, and then your opinions of him drastically change as the accomplished the feats during the film. Final note: If your a Sandler fan don't waste your time reviewing, you don't know what your talking about, this isn't his usual corny junk film. Watch if you are a fan of the strangely artistic film maker (Kubrick for example) and are tired of the same old repetitive romance. This is something to behold.
  3. Dec 9, 2010
    this film is entangled with depth. Its not pretentious, there isnt any symbolism, its jsut connecting the dots through a few watches. I love that. The charecters work in a juxtapostion because they dont, despite faults and flaws. Its a relativaly 'xero to hero' story but under the wing of one of the finest directors alive whom makes it his own. Just accept it for what it is, perfectley acted, shot, ran, and ...SOUND??? obviously, notice how the music builds up to represent stress and when in hawaii its completey different. Just watch it again doubters, please, it will be worth it, its just good. Expand
  4. Apr 22, 2011
    Trained to value mediocre plots like safety blankets, whose purpose is to explain everything in order to divorce movies from the random, surreal beauty of life, many Americans are unable to recognize the virtuosity displayed in Punch-Drunk Love. PT Anderson is the most talented filmmaker born in this country since Robert Altman. This is his fourth film and he has done the impossible again: a mediation on Godardian cinema served up burger and fries style. Adam Sandler and Anderson's camera provide the meat and potatoes while Emma Watson's cool dreaminess round off the meal like cold cream. Expand
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    Another masterpiece from PTA makes Punch-Drunk Love one of the best romance movies ever made. Sandler is flawless as a lonely man struggling with anger and the pressure put on him by his sisters. This film is heartbreaking and often funny surprisingly sometimes at the same time. Paul Thomas Anderson and Christopher Nolan are the film artists of the 21`st century both uncompromising their visions to make only masterpieces. Expand
  6. j30
    Nov 11, 2011
    Beautiful movie by one of the best directors today. You can hardly believe that this is Adam Sandler playing the title role. He plays Barry Egan, a lonely, socially awkward man who falls in love with one of his sisters co-workers. His character has more depth than any character he's played up to this point, combined! You can't take your eyes off of the screen.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    If you didn't like this move you probably shop at wal-mart, loved transformers, and probably don't have much depth. This is probably one of Adam Sandlers best performances as an actor and will always be one of my favorites. "Hey Barry, remember when we used to call you Gay Boy?" hahaha, great film.
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    Whimsical, Nietzschean, Beautiful. Jon Brion's score is the perfect complement to this story of a man coming into his own. Paul Thomas Anderson has an eye for shots and cinema all his own. Loved it.
  9. Apr 22, 2013
    This is no Adam Sandler movie. This is a work of art. Punch-Drunk Love was a very engaging movie to watch. Watching Adam Sandler go from his brain-dead comedies to giving a tremendous performance as Barry Egan still amazes me today. That right there is one of the biggest reasons why this movie is just tremendous. Adam really gives you the performance of a lifetime. Also, the storyline works together beautifully. Plus, alongside Adam's outstanding performance is Philip Seymour Hoffman who once again gives a great performance in P.T. Anderson movie. The story also has some great screenplay. Honestly, i didn't think the movie was going to be half as good as I thought it was going to be, but boy was I wrong. Overall, it's underrated P.T. Anderson and Adam Sandler movie that needs more recognition. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    Protip: don't watch this movie expecting a traditional Adam Sandler movie. If you can understand this bit, you'll "get" the movie, and you probably also understand why the reviews are so heavily divided. While this movie is definitely goofy, awkward and a little cringe-inducing at times, it's also simultaneously adorably sweet, hilarious, and immensely stressful. It's not a brain-bender or an heart-wrencher, but you'll probably want a cigarette afterwords.

Just watch it and forget any notion of an Adam Sandler movie. Seriously. Just absorb everything in: the characters, palette, plot, dialogue, everything. It's completely gorgeous.

9.5/10; my only real criticism is in regards to Adam Sandler's acting in a few spots. He definitely stepped up his game (for this movie), and he is by no means a poor actor (in this movie), but there are just a few parts where he's a bit too unbelievable (which is completely forgivable).
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    The first time I saw this movie I absolutely loved it. After seeing it a couple of times after the effect isn't as strong but I still love it. Any doubters on Adam Sandler and his acting ability haven't seen this film. This would have to be the best performance I've seen from him. Not much happens in the first half hour but after that it becomes so interesting. It's not always funny but there are some very funny bits. The romance between the two I loved so much, they get along so well and they're not the perfect specimens. This isn't Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence these are two average and kinda weird people. Paul Thomas Anderson has some really interesting cinematography and music. I can understand why people wouldn't find it that great or if they didn't get it at all but I really enjoyed it. Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    Adam Sandler is something to behold in this movie. Watching this, you could imagine him in Robin Williams roles. He has darkness and obsession that not every actor can reach.

Quirky and stylish, but not in a manner that comes across as overly artsy or pretentious.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The strangest thing about writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson's unusual romantic comedy is how much of it is based on a true story.
  3. Whether Adam Sandler can actually act is not actually answered in Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love. But he's great in it.