6.9

1. Oct 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This story is about honor and how we pay for corporate greed. In this case, what kind of needles hospitals purchase when safer needles are available so that diseases aren't transmitted so easily. Chris Evans was able to make his flawed character, Mike Weiss, very sympathetic to me. While he did shot up drugs and sought out prostitutes for his loneliness, he used his high intelligence and law degree for what was right. He took a case no small law firm could win. So even when messing up, I felt for Weiss. I could see, his worst enemy was himself. In his short life, he tried to help a large group of people (people who use needles: patients, drug addicts like him, people in Africa, etc.) with his law degree despite the odds of losing and cost to himself that was ruining his law firm and life. Weiss had honor and conviction over common sense in business matters, and his addictions ruled the rest of what he was about. His partner friend knows they need to drop the case because it's breaking their small law firm, but he can't control Weiss. I loved seeing the partner friend pick up the case after Weiss dies, when before he was going to drop the case. Then the bigger lawyer assists the little lawyer. Now they can fight corporate greed and win. I'm sure it's Hollywood ending mixed with the truth. But knowing most of the story is real, written by the real little lawyer, gives me hope that one can fight the "system," sometimes. We just have to keep trying. Good story and a great performance by Chris Evans and other actors in a very small movie that is not getting a wide distribution. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ethan Gilsdorf
    Oct 27, 2011
    This story of how corporate interests collude against the common good is surely worthy. But you might ask if the facts of the case might have made a better documentary, not a drama.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Oct 20, 2011
    When all is said and done, Mike proves to be not only peripheral to the main thrust of the movie, but a drag on its momentum.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Oct 6, 2011
    If the movie ends too abruptly, it still gives plenty of screen time to its nicely screwed-up central character. And it's still a solid, assured feature debut from the latest brothers to watch.