8.3

1. ArjanR.
    Feb 18, 2003
    Awesome Vespa Scooters, good music, I wished to be lived in those days......... FUN.
  2. LezC.
    Apr 16, 2003
    BLOODY GR8!!! Me I'm a 15yr old mod! Shame there are'nt any round these days! 11/10! XCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!
  3. CarlH.
    Sep 18, 2003
    Why are there 9 minutes missing in the re-release constituting in several scenes missing?
  4. StuR.
    Jul 27, 2001
    We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods!
  5. ElFlake-O
    Aug 14, 2002
    Out of my brain on the train.
  6. helenm.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Best film ever maded its ashame their not around today if this film wasnt maded others wouldnt of been maded brilliant bring back the mods.
  7. DiceMan
    Nov 1, 2002
    The rockinest movie ever. Better than the Wall.
  8. QuadroPhenia
    Aug 13, 2002
    This movie rocks...simply because the music is awesome. Rock On!
  9. JeremyW.
    Aug 15, 2002
    This movie is one of the many reasons why I drive a Lambretta. I'd break my bleedin' leg off starting up a motorcycle!
  10. Dec 2, 2013
    Stumbling upon this eponymous tie-in of THE WHO’s 1973 rock opera album QUADROPHENIA comes as simple as a happenstance out of a grab bag, haven’t heard of the album and being an outsider to this period of mods fashion, it is a primitive yet purest experience to appreciate a film on its own terms.

It is another REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955, 8/10) youth ill at ease, a telling zeitgeist encapsulation recounts a young mod’s contradiction against the world in 1960s, his family, his job, his friends, his idol, and his love interest, all fail to gratify him. When the only thing he is left with is a revamped vespa, his destructive bravado indicates whether it is a resounding emblem of all perish together or a belated disillusion to bode farewell to his vapid and futile past? Fortunately the film chooses the latter (unlike the album’s more radical stance), so it is a more generically pleasing alternative, but since our protagonist is not such a sympathetic character, a whiff of insouciance is irrevocable to eschew even in the culminating sequences alongside a magnificent precipice.

The mods vs. rockers commotions play a key role in venting the discontent among sociopaths, anarchists and boredom-driven young generation, which is universally pertinent to elsewhere in the world, we may blame youth for their narrow-minded prejudices, but the adult world depicted here is no more appealing neither. Phil Daniels and his pals (Wingett, Davis and Shail) exude excellent street cred of the fashion, although none of them galvanizes me into any further inspection, save Leslie Ash’s promiscuous lass, she is the only one seems to be cool about what’s happening around and understand the ephemeral phase of idiocy. Sting has a supporting role as mechanical as one can imagine despite of his gorgeousness, and a budding Ray Winstone in his seldom seen role as the injured party of a brawl.

The songs from the namesake album segues fluently throughout the film, nostalgia works much better in audio than visual this time I must say, it is a movie attracts its own cult followers and its socio-cultural astuteness may be worthy of a conscientious rediscovery if put inside a time capsule and wait to be exhumed a few more generations later.
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    far too many dry spots. found the plot boring and uninteresting. amazing that the scores have been so high. i have no idea what people are finding so amazing about this movie.

1. Roddam's minor but imaginative 1979 movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Sting, as the weekend super-Mod whose image collapses when he's revealed to work as a bellhop, cuts a slick dash in the dancehall sequences.
    Plays more like a gritty, episodic British independent film powered by a soundtrack of Who songs that illuminate the main character's turbulent emotions.