6.4

1. Oct 24, 2011
    The plot is just slightly too complex to follow, the Bond-girls aren't quite as stunning, and the writing is not quite as polished as its predecessor. "Quantum"'s primary problem is that it had to follow "Casino Royale". A moderately-fun action movie, an adequate addition to the Bond franchise, but a below-average sequel. Regardless, it's still worth a look. Maybe even two or three.
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Not up there with Casino Royale but a great follow up to it. The acting was still great but the movie rushed through its self a little bit. Daniel Craig still does a good job and makes me forget about that Pierce guy. Overall a very good movie.
  3. GeorgeM
    Apr 6, 2009
    Bond is back again...and Craig is on his second film playing everyone's favorite spy. Quantum picks up alsmot immediately after the events of the Casino Royale...so there is little time to get ready for this film, because it starts out "balls to the wall" and rarely lets up till the big explosive finale. In comparison to the first (Casino Royale), Quantum of Solace lacks a Bond is back again...and Craig is on his second film playing everyone's favorite spy. Quantum picks up alsmot immediately after the events of the Casino Royale...so there is little time to get ready for this film, because it starts out "balls to the wall" and rarely lets up till the big explosive finale. In comparison to the first (Casino Royale), Quantum of Solace lacks a bit...whether it be the story the directorial style...nothing about this film seems as elegant or as well put together as its predecessor...it definately amps up the action a few notches however. The action scenes better choreographed and far more explosive...so it certainly excedes Casino in that regard. It's really the story and lack of substance that make this film a bit ho-hum at times...its just not interesting to follow, something about a greedy enviromentalist on the hunt for oil and he isn't afraid to lie and kill to get what he wants and then this even less important story about a girl trying to get revenge on a general for brutally killing her family (yawn)...but you really won't care about any of that, it almost seems like filler until you get to the real meat of what this movie is about...ACTION and lots of it, as its easy to see where most of the care went. Casino Royale is a far more polished Bond film...Quantum is certainly watchable and its actually quite entertaining as a hollow action film, it dosent seem to really expand on the Bond character other than we know he is even MORE upset and far more lethal in his methods now than before. it comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...if you are looking for action, this is it, if you are looking for story....i strongy recommend you watch Casino Royale to catch up. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    Daniel Craig is good in this film once again. The action sequences are good and film in general is good as well but not as great as the previous fim. I still enjoyed it though.
  5. Nov 10, 2011
    I am a huge Bond fan. I have read the Flemming novels and I have seen all movies. Quantum of Solace is my favourite Bond movie by a mile.
    It has everything that you could want from a bond film. Awesome action, excellent acting, hot Bond girls, a realistic plot and a realistic villain with a genius plan. The car chase and fight scene are better shot and easier to follow than anything in the Bourne films. They're hard hitting and thrilling to watch.
    It pays homage to most of the great early movies like Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Sean Connery played Bond just like the character in the Flemming novels but Daniel Craig is by far the best actor to ever portray Bond. He looks classy and he kicks ass when he needs to. Highly recommended.
  6. LawrenceT
    May 5, 2009
    This movie could have had some of the best action sequences. But it lacked that and lacked the charm which you would expext from a bond. Daniel is making the franchise fall because everywoman he sleeps with dies. He should have had a bond with no sequels. But this film puts the hype and has more action which I like and I loved this movie because we saw something new instead of all the This movie could have had some of the best action sequences. But it lacked that and lacked the charm which you would expext from a bond. Daniel is making the franchise fall because everywoman he sleeps with dies. He should have had a bond with no sequels. But this film puts the hype and has more action which I like and I loved this movie because we saw something new instead of all the James Bond movies. He is not trying to save the world and he is just out for revenge. Expand
  7. tomp
    Dec 10, 2008
    Ignore the critics, this is one of the best bond films ever.
  8. MD
    Jul 22, 2009
    My family and I were extremely disappointed in "Casino Royale" and after watching it again, I still can't figure out how it got any good reviews. "Quantum of Solace" on the other hand was much more enjoyable and DC finally starts to act more like James Bond rather than the thug he was in the previous movie. This movie is not perfect, but it was entertaining and it gives me hope that My family and I were extremely disappointed in "Casino Royale" and after watching it again, I still can't figure out how it got any good reviews. "Quantum of Solace" on the other hand was much more enjoyable and DC finally starts to act more like James Bond rather than the thug he was in the previous movie. This movie is not perfect, but it was entertaining and it gives me hope that this "reinvented" Bond is evolving into someone we can like again. Expand
  9. TonyH
    May 8, 2009
    I enjoy the way Daniel Craig interprets his Bond character and really appreciate that there is less focus on the "gadgetry" than in all the Bond movies. I really get a sense that this Bond cares about what and why he does what he does for a living.
  10. JayH
    Mar 22, 2009
    It has all the right ingredients for a Bond flick - rapid pace, plenty of explosions, car chases, great special effects, great international settings and over the top action. Not the best of the Bond films, but it works. Very entertaining, outstanding production values.
  11. tankj
    Dec 11, 2008
    I'm not sure why everyone wants to see the same cheesy Bond movie. Craig is the best bond yet (sorry Sean). The action in this movie is spectacular. It is not quite as good as Casino Royale but still very good.
  12. Aug 22, 2010
    Tooooo short and not enough lighter/comedic moments. All bond does is go around shooting people and then doesn't even kill the one guy at the end. The action was good besides the shaky camera which I personally don't like. Not really a good bond movie but a decent action movie.
  13. Aug 24, 2010
    Daniel Craig's second outing as 007.
    BIG set pieces, lots of carnage (Bond seems to wreck every location he goes to), fast, furious & slightly silly.
    Bit of a mess this one & doesn't really hold together as the brilliant Casino Royale did. Craig is fine & basically an emotionless maniac which, considering his profession, is what he'd be. Nice perfomances also by Olga Kurylenko (Blimey
    Daniel Craig's second outing as 007.
    Nice perfomances also by Olga Kurylenko (Blimey Charlie!!) & the great but under-used Giancarlo Giannini.
    The bad guys aren't as a prominent as other films but it's still a damn sight better than any of the awful Pierce Brosnan films.
  14. Oct 8, 2011
    This movie had a lot of action. Aside that I had no clue what the story was. I never liked this actor as James Bond either. It was not worth sitting through but the action was packed.
  15. May 10, 2013
    It may not be edited perfectly or nearly three-quarters as well-crafted as its predecessor, but "Quantum Of Solace" still stands tall as a thrillingly engrossing Bond film.
  16. AlbertS.
    Nov 14, 2008
    The beggining of the film, which had hardly any dialogue, felt like you were trying to get a story out of a kid with ADD. It was confusing, and it wasn't until about 1/3 of the film in that things start making sense and the movie gets better. Overall the movie lacks class, that Bond factor that sets it apart from other action movies. The dialogue lacks wit, the plot lacks substance, The beggining of the film, which had hardly any dialogue, felt like you were trying to get a story out of a kid with ADD. It was confusing, and it wasn't until about 1/3 of the film in that things start making sense and the movie gets better. Overall the movie lacks class, that Bond factor that sets it apart from other action movies. The dialogue lacks wit, the plot lacks substance, and the movie felt like it needed about another half hour to properly explain what was going on. The villains helped the movie for me because they were evil, but not absurdly so. It would have a higher score if it wasn't for the overdone, drawn out action sequences that hilighted how underdeveloped the rest of the movie was. Expand
  17. TabU.
    Nov 15, 2008
    One of the more emotionally, intellectually stimulating espionage Bond movies to date! Technology is thrown out and the brutal human component of the spy game, the way it was meant to be was lobbed back in to great effect. Except for first to risky action sequences that had potential but failed, overall this movie rocked.
    Oct 30, 2008
    Hey, seems to me I've already read one underwhelming review, but I liked this it ot. I was not wowed by the first Daniel Craig as Bond effort but seems like the new director has tuned it just right: gritty and well shot w/just the right touch of emotion. Enjoy.
  19. PhilipC.
    Aug 5, 2008
    Bond is back and better than Ever! The action is amazing, the whole story is very continual and relative to Casino royale. But this one was much better. It's just amazing. See it for yourself. I saw a SC.
  20. JohnW.
    Nov 1, 2008
    A further step away from the formulaic previous Bond entries and all the better for it. It doesn't have the charm and strong storyline that Casion Royale did but it's still a strong film. It is probably the most 'un-Bond' like film in the whole series save for OHMSS, as it avoids many of the signature features of the previous entries. Daniel Craig is on top form as are A further step away from the formulaic previous Bond entries and all the better for it. It doesn't have the charm and strong storyline that Casion Royale did but it's still a strong film. It is probably the most 'un-Bond' like film in the whole series save for OHMSS, as it avoids many of the signature features of the previous entries. Daniel Craig is on top form as are the surrounding cast. Expand
  21. Manny
    Nov 14, 2008
    This is an exceptional movie. But beware, it is a shift away from the traditional, cheesy lined Bond movie towards a darker, richer story. Craig's acting is on par, if not better than Casino Royale. I can't comprehend how reviewers trash this movie for its austerity and lack of "campiness". It wouldn't make sense to follow the typical formula for Quantum. In addition to the This is an exceptional movie. But beware, it is a shift away from the traditional, cheesy lined Bond movie towards a darker, richer story. Craig's acting is on par, if not better than Casino Royale. I can't comprehend how reviewers trash this movie for its austerity and lack of "campiness". It wouldn't make sense to follow the typical formula for Quantum. In addition to the psychological trauma from Vesper Lynd's death, Bond suffers numerous other cataclysms in the movie. To simply "grin" and move on, as some reviewers suggested, wouldn't be appropriate -it would actually be quite distracting. Again I have to emphasize, this movie is remarkable, if this is a sign for what's to come from this franchise, count me in. As for those reviewers who trashed the movie, I suggest they "grin" and move on. Expand
  22. David
    Nov 15, 2008
    You people who are stuck on the old James Bond need to get over it! The old gadgets and sex and just plain sillyness is gone! Here and now in the last couple of movies we have had a real person that is believable. No out of control camera movement, good action that is believable (well, most of it) and still the good looking women! This was a very good movie and i love the fact that it You people who are stuck on the old James Bond need to get over it! The old gadgets and sex and just plain sillyness is gone! Here and now in the last couple of movies we have had a real person that is believable. No out of control camera movement, good action that is believable (well, most of it) and still the good looking women! This was a very good movie and i love the fact that it followed the story of the last. Give it a try! Expand
  23. RolandB.
    Nov 15, 2008
    I liked it more than Casino...and that is regardless of the action being better.
  24. August
    Nov 15, 2008
    Not as bad as some of you say, and it's NOT Bourne.
  25. MartyL.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Daniel Craig *IS* Jamed Bond. Loved the story, loved the action. Hated the cinematography and editing. TO DIRECTORS - YOU HAVE AMAZING SET DESIGN PEOPLE, YOU DON'T NEED TO SHAKE THE DAMN CAMERA TO HIDE STUFF... Please... Give us camera shots that lets us SEE the action instead of blurr it!!!
  26. WilliamM.
    Nov 16, 2008
    I have to say, as some one who owns and has watched all the movies and the same goes for all the books. I really liked quantum of solace. I'll agree that it wasn't quite as good as Casino Royale. It was a very lean movie, giving you only the bare minimum to know what was still going on. And in keeping the Bondisms to a minimum I think was a good idea for the series. I don't I have to say, as some one who owns and has watched all the movies and the same goes for all the books. I really liked quantum of solace. I'll agree that it wasn't quite as good as Casino Royale. It was a very lean movie, giving you only the bare minimum to know what was still going on. And in keeping the Bondisms to a minimum I think was a good idea for the series. I don't hope it stays completely lean like this. But I also want new people like Forster to bring new perspective to an old hero. And for being so different I think it will stand out as either a favorite or as a hated movie. I don't want to always know what James Bond will say or do, and after experiencing as much Bond as possible you start to want to see a new take. It will never be as tongue in cheek as Roger moore's movies were. Or as Smooth as Connery. But it's a new type of Bond just like every new actor to play him has put him in a new light. I just don't want to put limits on my favorite series of all time, I don't want the writers to have to include bond... James Bond, or that he has to order his martini and have three girls per movie. I love the old Bonds, and I will always watch them often, but I want the news ones to be fresh as well. I'll make my last sentence an example from Ian Fleming himself. He wrote many books with Bond, with quite a few staples, but they were never mandatory, which made their occurrences more special. Expand
  27. JonB.
    Nov 16, 2008
    All the action missing from Casino Royale with about a quarter of the plot.
  28. PeterO
    Nov 17, 2008
    Good but not enough fun, bring back the gadgets.
  29. JacobV.
    Nov 17, 2008
    I love the new bond who doesn't have outrageous gadgets and could actually be a real guy. This movie is great because you see how one dead end turns into a lead that becomes a whole operation. This movie doesn't sugarcoat anything. Bond is ruthless and remorseless. He kills everything.
  30. JIMB
    Nov 24, 2008
    this movie is by far better than the all the horror mivies being made today. at least bond uses more realistic toys in the new movies and not all the old gimimicks, car that dissapear, watches that can left 2 people without taking your arm off? Hope the new writers keep it real in the future as well.
  31. JohnnyG.
    Nov 24, 2008
    What's wrong with a little action? Not as good as Casino Royale of course, but still good nonetheless. I had low expectations due to hearing poor reviews from people who had high expectations, so when I went into the film I left feeling very relieved and anything but dissappointed. True, I have not scene any bond film other than a Brosnan's or Craig's, but I have to admit, What's wrong with a little action? Not as good as Casino Royale of course, but still good nonetheless. I had low expectations due to hearing poor reviews from people who had high expectations, so when I went into the film I left feeling very relieved and anything but dissappointed. True, I have not scene any bond film other than a Brosnan's or Craig's, but I have to admit, for what this film was, it was a good one. Expand
  32. teriwanT
    Nov 27, 2008
    Worst Bond movie ever? I think not! In fact, I think that was Die Another Day. Ring any bells? Thank you Daniel Craig for reinstating my faith in the franchise. Sure, this film is not perfect, but its a definate step in the right direction. My only two complaints about this one are that the villian could have been more menacing and the action scenes not so poorly edited. Otherwise it was Worst Bond movie ever? I think not! In fact, I think that was Die Another Day. Ring any bells? Thank you Daniel Craig for reinstating my faith in the franchise. Sure, this film is not perfect, but its a definate step in the right direction. My only two complaints about this one are that the villian could have been more menacing and the action scenes not so poorly edited. Otherwise it was a very enjoyable night at the movies for me. I like the fact that they are moulding the character closer to Ian Flemmings original ideas of Bond and not the horrible cheese-and-wine character that Brosnan portrayed with his stupid remarks and lame jokes. Can't wait to see what they will do with the next installment! Expand
  33. Larry
    Nov 28, 2008
    On balance, no better or worse than "Casino Royale." Had its strengths, plus real weaknesses. Craig is a special Bond, as was Connery. The development of his relationship with 'M' has been excellent, probably the best element of two movies. Plot was thin, but not nearly as confusing as I'd been led to believe. Really disliked the denouement scenes in the weird desert hotel. On balance, no better or worse than "Casino Royale." Had its strengths, plus real weaknesses. Craig is a special Bond, as was Connery. The development of his relationship with 'M' has been excellent, probably the best element of two movies. Plot was thin, but not nearly as confusing as I'd been led to believe. Really disliked the denouement scenes in the weird desert hotel. Lacked cleverness and the action was forced on the viewer rather mindlessly. Expand
  34. AS
    Nov 29, 2008
    After watching this movie, I've come to realize that many people (and especially critics) just didn't get it. It's part two of Casino Royale. It is a two-movie storyline that explains why he is who he is and why the love of a woman will never again pull him away from his "job". It wasn't that the plot was weak as many as said. It was simply just an extension of the After watching this movie, I've come to realize that many people (and especially critics) just didn't get it. It's part two of Casino Royale. It is a two-movie storyline that explains why he is who he is and why the love of a woman will never again pull him away from his "job". It wasn't that the plot was weak as many as said. It was simply just an extension of the first movie's plot to wrap up James Bond's introduction to us in this format. There were obvious signs that the next movie will be a new plot in a more traditional Bond way. The first two movies set up who this Bond is...now we go forward. By the way, the entertainment value of this movie is still very high. It is such a good way to introduce the best bond of a new generation. Expand
  35. JohnD
    Dec 1, 2008
    After readiing the reviews I was expecting to be disappointed, but this Bond movie is one of the most exotic, intelligent and action-packed of all. Some really great sequences - all properly done - (no CGI) - and the close-up / quick cut MTV-style editing places the viewer right in the mayhem. Yes, it's brutal and there are absolutely no Moore-esque one-liners or gadgets, this is a After readiing the reviews I was expecting to be disappointed, but this Bond movie is one of the most exotic, intelligent and action-packed of all. Some really great sequences - all properly done - (no CGI) - and the close-up / quick cut MTV-style editing places the viewer right in the mayhem. Yes, it's brutal and there are absolutely no Moore-esque one-liners or gadgets, this is a Bond for adults. Recommended. Expand
  36. DominicG.
    Dec 20, 2008
    Really enjoyed this movie - so much better than expected after reading mised reviews. The Bond team have truly reinvigorated this frachise just when it was on its last legs. A gripping, suspenseful plot that keeps the audience guessing, worthy characters and break neck action sequences. I hope they can maintain this quality standard for the next one.
  37. MarkW
    Dec 9, 2008
    The first Bond film I liked was Casino Royale the second is Quantum of Solace. I just can't stand the cheese associated with most Bond films so the last two instalments are a welcome relief. Still I guess I can understand why Bond fans are bitter, there are plenty of intelligent films out there so perhaps the Bond franchise should stick to what the Bond fans like.
  38. BenW.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Good film. Much faster paced than Casino Royale. Less story more action and that's done incredibly well.
  39. DazzerN
    Oct 31, 2008
    The film is nothing short of an adreline rush to head from start to end. Have to give credit to marc foster the director for pulling off a movie like this. I honestly thought daniel craig was a shambles in the beginning of casino royale, but he has proved more than worthy of holding the title 007. One the best bond films i have watched! (P.S I also have to admit I hated the intro song, The film is nothing short of an adreline rush to head from start to end. Have to give credit to marc foster the director for pulling off a movie like this. I honestly thought daniel craig was a shambles in the beginning of casino royale, but he has proved more than worthy of holding the title 007. One the best bond films i have watched! (P.S I also have to admit I hated the intro song, its just not bond style, otherwise would have gave 10!). Expand
  40. tdmac
    Nov 14, 2008
    I think Craig's take on Bond is fabulous. He's the best Bond thus far, in my opinion. That being said, I think this movie is a bit all over the place given the multiple story lines that run throughout. Some of them are entirely unnecessary as they do not relate in any way to the characters and occurrences of Casino Royale. Because this movie "intends" to be a sequel to C.R., the I think Craig's take on Bond is fabulous. He's the best Bond thus far, in my opinion. That being said, I think this movie is a bit all over the place given the multiple story lines that run throughout. Some of them are entirely unnecessary as they do not relate in any way to the characters and occurrences of Casino Royale. Because this movie "intends" to be a sequel to C.R., the added stories only succeed in muddying the water. I wanted to see Bond's emotional journey on being betrayed by Vesper and losing her...and to know more about the organization who set all of that into motion. Instead we get too many stories that end up keeping each story diluted. Great for action and "homages" paid to the series. Daniel Craig and Judi Dench, great. I wanted to see more Jeffrey Wright! Expand
  41. ChristianP.
    Nov 14, 2008
    I was worried when I saw the bad reviews, but after seeing the movie myself, I am so relieved. It got off to a bad start with the close-up heavy car chase that was disorienting and then the theme song was terribly produced and I saw that Paul Haggis wrote it and cringed. BUT all of my fears were put to rest. Daniel Craig is wonderful as Bond and Judy Dench steals her scenes. The villain I was worried when I saw the bad reviews, but after seeing the movie myself, I am so relieved. It got off to a bad start with the close-up heavy car chase that was disorienting and then the theme song was terribly produced and I saw that Paul Haggis wrote it and cringed. BUT all of my fears were put to rest. Daniel Craig is wonderful as Bond and Judy Dench steals her scenes. The villain is a great 21st century bad guy--weasely and corrupt but still pure evil. I'm a bit confused with all these bad reviews on here! Honestly, what were the big problems?! Just as gritty as Casino Royale. I would love to see the next one be more of a spy/espionage film than an action movie though. Expand
  42. RyanL.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Serious, focused Bond film, nicely bookending the previous chapter, Casino Royale. It's different from past Bonds, but variety has been what's kept this series going for 45 years.
  43. kyleb
    Nov 14, 2008
    Just got back from a midnight showing. Don't believe the critics. This is a pi$$ed off and obsessed Bond which Craig plays perfectly. For the straight men who are the target audience, it's a rockin' good time, but that leaves out a lot of critics. Only problem I found with it was the villain is pretty weak. One more thing: Best Dialog Ever--at least in a Bond flick. Tightly Just got back from a midnight showing. Don't believe the critics. This is a pi$$ed off and obsessed Bond which Craig plays perfectly. For the straight men who are the target audience, it's a rockin' good time, but that leaves out a lot of critics. Only problem I found with it was the villain is pretty weak. One more thing: Best Dialog Ever--at least in a Bond flick. Tightly written and diamond sharp. The audience was straining to not miss a word, and there were many satisfied laughs at the clever lines. The lack of a 40 minute card game is also a bonus. Expand
  44. MattA.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Ok... so maybe i'm being a little too nice to QoS. I mean...plot wise... it was messy. It used every excuse to get to the next action scene. The "bad guy" was too low-key and not maniacal in the least. The bond girl was nice... but too self- sufficient. So all in all... it wasn't James Bond. Bond himself didn't even seem to be having a good time at all. However... THIS WAS Ok... so maybe i'm being a little too nice to QoS. I mean...plot wise... it was messy. It used every excuse to get to the next action scene. The "bad guy" was too low-key and not maniacal in the least. The bond girl was nice... but too self- sufficient. So all in all... it wasn't James Bond. Bond himself didn't even seem to be having a good time at all. However... THIS WAS NOT TERRIBLE! The action was fun...well...for the audience i suppose. The scenes were beautiful. Casino Royal gave us too much and left us wanting more. Quantum gives us some hamburger to fill the rest of us up...when we were eating steak. Go into Quantum, as i did, expecting to see a decent action movie. Don't go in hoping to be on the edge of your seat with the plot however. Just smile at the pretty things going boom. Expand
  45. JesseB.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Deep, engaging, shot and edited with far more heart and mind then any previous Bond film, Quantum of Solace proves that quality filmmaking to a franchise DOES improve the end result.
  46. BrianB.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Daniel Craig continues to push his role in this economical version of bond who acts first and rarely has time to quip. The suave spy in the tailored suit has never been so kinetic and so engagingly brutal.
  47. JeffL
    Nov 15, 2008
    Forget listening to these reviews. If you liked Casino Royale, this is worth seeing to make your own judgment. To me, it was quite good.
  48. ChrisG
    Nov 15, 2008
    Great movie, for all of you who complain that hes not "suave", and "charming", go read the original book , yes i mean the guy who invented bond, he was neither of those things. he was a cold hearted prick who left a body count everywhere he went, they are going back to the more realistic TRUE James bond. please do some research before you say what things are supposed to be.
  49. MarkB.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Nearly as good as Casino Royale, and better than any bond movie since Connery. The critics got scared to like this one for some reason. Believe me it is worth your time.
  50. WilliamB.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Daniel Craig is fine, but this film is too uptight! Sometimes the action set-pieces are confusing and incoherent.
  51. DougN.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Lacks the humor and gadgets of past Bond films. Where is Q, for example? But overall, I liked it. Seems a bit "darker" than any of the past Bond films.
  52. JohnB.
    Nov 16, 2008
    I don't think bond encountered anyone, that was not mi6, in the first 45 min without killing them, awesome. lots of action, a great film.
  53. HansH.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Not as phenomenal as Casino Royale, but still extremely entertaining and solid.
  54. MattB.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Almost as strong as the first, Quantum delivers from every Bond angle. Contrary to many opinions, 007 upholds the swagger and demeanor required. Forster matches Campbell with quality style in his direction. A MUST see for any Bond fan!
  55. NS.
    Nov 16, 2008
    AWESOME AWESOME AND MORE AWESOME! Definitely check this movie out! That action scenes are wicked!
  56. MateoZ.
    Nov 17, 2008
    It's a sequel to a reboot on the whole franchise. It's about a Fleming Bond, a blunt instrument still finding his way towards refinement; on a revenge mission (so excuse the absence of puns and cheesy one-liners); a newly installed double-0 agent (so therefore a killing machine) and a Bond for the millennium. So all of you, relics from the cold war get real and get used to this. It's a sequel to a reboot on the whole franchise. It's about a Fleming Bond, a blunt instrument still finding his way towards refinement; on a revenge mission (so excuse the absence of puns and cheesy one-liners); a newly installed double-0 agent (so therefore a killing machine) and a Bond for the millennium. So all of you, relics from the cold war get real and get used to this. We are looking forward to a promising Bond future with Daniel Craig. Expand
  57. MichaelT
    Nov 17, 2008
    Not sure why this film is receiving mixed reviews. I thought it was great, and Daniel Craig was awesome. It was a bit different than other Bond movies, but not in a bad sense.
  58. JackF.
    Nov 18, 2008
    The starting scenes are just great. The concept of Bond being attacked just after he captures Mr. White is just great. Bond looks cool after the chase and the title song isn't that bad as everyone is saying. But the problem is that many Bond formulas are repeated. "Bond style should be continued, not the franchise's formulas." They should retain the Vodka Martini and Aston The starting scenes are just great. The concept of Bond being attacked just after he captures Mr. White is just great. Bond looks cool after the chase and the title song isn't that bad as everyone is saying. But the problem is that many Bond formulas are repeated. "Bond style should be continued, not the franchise's formulas." They should retain the Vodka Martini and Aston Martins and Bond Girls(since they are his preferences) , but should keep the formula closer to real espionage. This film is gritty, no doubt, but the action scenes seem to be done for their sake alone. Like the knife scene and the plane scene. The fires and bombings at the climax are too boring and cliched. The good part is Craig's acting and they should let him act more. Judi Dench is of course brilliant and typecast in M's role. Atterton's role should have been longer. After all she was more attractive. Plus, some scenes were just not required. Like the horse race shown in the beginning and the Tosca concert. So, there is brilliance here and there, but overall the movie isn't as good as Casino Royale. Expand
  59. JakeE
    Nov 24, 2008
    Great movie, action was fluent, and the story was driven. It was smart and inolved great emotional fluctuation that seemed to combine together for a great fun movie. Craig is an awesome bond.
  60. TomG.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Just got in from quantum and I have mixed feelings, on one hand it is an excellent film with plenty of action and a gripping plot but on the other hand this is no bond film, this could easily be the fourth 'Bourne' film, Quantum leaves Bond lovers with lots to desire especially with bond's humor and gadgets.
  61. SimonM.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I enjoyed this film! This is the only time since the mediocre "License to Kill" where Bond has been in official REVENGE mode, and Dalton didn't do it half as well as Craig. Sure it wasn't all quips and one liners, a'la Moore. Never the less I'm really liking this so called "gritty" Bond. My only trivial gripe was with the Bond baddy's lack of a gimmick (No I enjoyed this film! This is the only time since the mediocre "License to Kill" where Bond has been in official REVENGE mode, and Dalton didn't do it half as well as Craig. Sure it wasn't all quips and one liners, a'la Moore. Never the less I'm really liking this so called "gritty" Bond. My only trivial gripe was with the Bond baddy's lack of a gimmick (No deformity or pet peeve?!?). In the end: Great Bond film. Great revenge film. Expand
  62. DonK.
    Dec 20, 2008
    The dialogue between Bond and M was just not convincing. Was the plot lame? Probably. What was the whole point dragging the poor guy from his home in he Mediterranean to get locked up in the trunk of a car in Bolivia - and eventually get killed? Yes teh plot was lame.... You don't speak to a President that way - sign the deal or you will get replaced. And if Bond could bumpo him off, The dialogue between Bond and M was just not convincing. Was the plot lame? Probably. What was the whole point dragging the poor guy from his home in he Mediterranean to get locked up in the trunk of a car in Bolivia - and eventually get killed? Yes teh plot was lame.... You don't speak to a President that way - sign the deal or you will get replaced. And if Bond could bumpo him off, why not the Bolivian President (or whoever that character was).... Still it was great entertainment. Awesome. So I give it a 7. Expand
  63. BillB.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Attended early screening of this movie. I didn't think it was possible to top Casion Royale, but they completely "blew it out of the water". Hope I'm not saying too much.
  64. JohnyB.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Definetly the best Bond movie ever.Pushed me down in my cinema chair from first second and kept in that position till end credits.Brutal and fast paced not some clean sweet Brosnan flick.Can't wait for next one
  65. BlakeS.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Gutty Gritty, Daniel Craig second to none as a Bond in this movie. He is all business.
  66. JudyT
    Nov 15, 2008
    Daniel Craig is great and I like this new refreshing retooling of 007. Judy Dench, Jeffrey Wright and Giancarlo Gianinni were good as always. The plot was thin and the action sequences started just running together. Btu the spirit of the new Bond was there. I didn't like the ending action sequence but I liked the ending. Also the theme music by Jack White and Alicia Keys was horrible Daniel Craig is great and I like this new refreshing retooling of 007. Judy Dench, Jeffrey Wright and Giancarlo Gianinni were good as always. The plot was thin and the action sequences started just running together. Btu the spirit of the new Bond was there. I didn't like the ending action sequence but I liked the ending. Also the theme music by Jack White and Alicia Keys was horrible and so was the Bond girl. Expand
  67. DavidL.
    Nov 15, 2008
    This is an excellent outing for Bond. Casino Royale, but surprisingly (and despite its ridiculous title), this is better. Bond's character development is good, the action is non-stop and well choreographed, and the relationship between Bond and M has never been better. Olga Kurylenko was good as well. I was really blown away by how good the film was, especially compared to the This is an excellent outing for Bond. Casino Royale, but surprisingly (and despite its ridiculous title), this is better. Bond's character development is good, the action is non-stop and well choreographed, and the relationship between Bond and M has never been better. Olga Kurylenko was good as well. I was really blown away by how good the film was, especially compared to the reviews. Also, for the first time Bond is on the right side of the battle with his efforts against an evil corporation and both the US and British governments. Well done. Expand
  68. MaxB.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Quantum of Solace is an edgy, gritty, and sometimes confusing film. Danial Craig is back with another exceptional performance ad 007. In fact the entire movie is perfectly cast. However, the attempt to transform the movie into a fast paced action thriller leaves several fight scenes difficult to follow. The really big flaw of quantum of solace is perhaps what also makes it work. Danial Quantum of Solace is an edgy, gritty, and sometimes confusing film. Danial Craig is back with another exceptional performance ad 007. In fact the entire movie is perfectly cast. However, the attempt to transform the movie into a fast paced action thriller leaves several fight scenes difficult to follow. The really big flaw of quantum of solace is perhaps what also makes it work. Danial Craig has such a dark and depressed demeanor that his one liners and witty phrases aren't up to the level that we expect of 007. Combine that with a movie that is sometimes very difficult to follow, you get a movie not as strong as Casino Royale. Overall Quantum of Solace does work on a more modern and dark level than any other James Bond movie. Expand
  69. MichaelB.
    Nov 15, 2008
    People haven't seemed to learn that this isnt the classic James Bond films we're used to.. this is a rebirth and its great! The movie starts basically immediately after Casino Royale and its non stop action till the end.. if you like action movies this is a MUST SEE, if you like James Bond (especially the BOOKS) you'll LOVE THIS. THIS IS FLEMMINGS BOND (read the books) You People haven't seemed to learn that this isnt the classic James Bond films we're used to.. this is a rebirth and its great! The movie starts basically immediately after Casino Royale and its non stop action till the end.. if you like action movies this is a MUST SEE, if you like James Bond (especially the BOOKS) you'll LOVE THIS. THIS IS FLEMMINGS BOND (read the books) You can't expect the film to be cheesy (lets face it people the old bond is considered Cheezy in the 21st century) the film has to be move with the times or else its doomed to die out like Star Trek did. Watch the film! Ignore the critics, Expect Action and a rough Bond don't look to the old films and expect the same thing! Expand
  70. Ben
    Nov 15, 2008
    If you want to see traditional bond movies, watch any of the previous 20 installments. If you want to see GOOD movies, watch casino royale and quantum of solace. The poor reviews that quantum of solace has been receiving made me extremely nervous to watch. However, I now realize that most people don't understand a good film when they see it. You'll certainly be disappointed if If you want to see traditional bond movies, watch any of the previous 20 installments. If you want to see GOOD movies, watch casino royale and quantum of solace. The poor reviews that quantum of solace has been receiving made me extremely nervous to watch. However, I now realize that most people don't understand a good film when they see it. You'll certainly be disappointed if you are expecting a campy, cheesy, sex driven, and shallow bond. On the other hand, you'll be delighted if youâ??re looking for an emotionally developed character whose personality flaws finally seem human. A deeply disturbed bond who doesnâ??t kill because heâ??s told too, but because he is in every sense, a hero. Gone are the days of evil villains who seek to destroy the world with nuclear weapons and satellites. They are no longer personified character types who seem to over the top to real. Instead we have more sophisticated villains whose corrupt mindsets leads to a far more complicated plot line. Rest assured, a complicated plot line should be a positive and refreshing change. Since when should a villainous corporation have streamlined goals in which every member is working together for the benefit of that goal? Truly human emotions and situations cannot be simple and straightforward. Pay attention, Quantum of Solace was a great movie. Expand
  71. JPS.
    Nov 15, 2008
    This moving is worth seeing. Slow at times. Has action. It has a plot that if you use your imagination you can make this an engaging moving. I vote that you see this at a theater-matinee.
  72. JoshP
    Nov 16, 2008
    Anybody knows what is going on in the world today? Water and the access to it is becoming privatized. As for being the subject of a Bond movie, it may not have the sex appeal of gold, space and just general mass destruction, but I think it was appropriate enough. What I think is disappointing viewers is the lack of back story to it all. Which in all fairness wasn't done very well. Anybody knows what is going on in the world today? Water and the access to it is becoming privatized. As for being the subject of a Bond movie, it may not have the sex appeal of gold, space and just general mass destruction, but I think it was appropriate enough. What I think is disappointing viewers is the lack of back story to it all. Which in all fairness wasn't done very well. What I don't agree with is the anger towards Bond not being Bond. Sure...thats how the books were written, but if writers didn't take liberties or adjust for the modern era, you might as well just read a book instead. Bond is evolving(as he supposed to be newer during this inception) and you have to give him time. Hopefully this movie will wrap the "i'm angry because my girl died" and all the fanboys will have a bit more debonair Bond lines next time they will never use on the ladies. Expand
  73. TonyW.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Daniel Craig is excellent as usual as are all the other actors, that is my 7. The director is totally clueless in this installment, the action sequences are big budget but more time is spent showing shaking camera shots than letting us digest what is happening onscreen. I'm astonished that the executives let this movie be released in this form. Maybe a directors cut may be the Daniel Craig is excellent as usual as are all the other actors, that is my 7. The director is totally clueless in this installment, the action sequences are big budget but more time is spent showing shaking camera shots than letting us digest what is happening onscreen. I'm astonished that the executives let this movie be released in this form. Maybe a directors cut may be the solution who knows? It's like opening a closet and everything in there is good but it all just fell on your head and gave you a nasty bruise Expand
  74. Andrew
    Nov 16, 2008
    This is not a bad movie and quite frankly if you have the entire collection this is a welcome addition: who the hell wants another movie similar to all those prior to Casino Royale (II). As to those who did not like the movie, well, change is not to everyone's tastes.
  75. AramisG.
    Nov 17, 2008
    I like the new direction these Bond movies are taking. More cerebral and violent than older movies. Doesn't spell everything out and leaves lots of avenues open for other sequels (in a good way). If you are looking for stupid gadgets and unbelievable villains with silly world domination aspirations you have 30 years of other Bond movies to watch.
  76. BenH.
    Nov 17, 2008
    Great addition to the Bond series. I'm not sure why it gets mixed reviews. If you are a fan of the franchise, you'll love this film.
  77. MatthewR.
    Nov 27, 2008
    Most people reviewing this film really don't seem to understand it at all. This film is a character study at its core. It serves as the bridge between what Bond was and what he will be for the foreseeable future (I hope). It is excellent in every respect, even moreso than Casino Royalle, which I thought was fantastic. For those of you who miss hollowed out volcano bases and giant Most people reviewing this film really don't seem to understand it at all. This film is a character study at its core. It serves as the bridge between what Bond was and what he will be for the foreseeable future (I hope). It is excellent in every respect, even moreso than Casino Royalle, which I thought was fantastic. For those of you who miss hollowed out volcano bases and giant lasers in space, go watch Moonraker to your hearts' content. Expand
  78. MikeL.
    Dec 19, 2008
    This story, while not written by Ian Flemming, is the natural extension of Casino Royale. Quantum of Solace explores the personal and professional issue that James Bond deals with in 'becomming Bond'. I found the film to be intelligent, well paced and in keeping with the Ian Flemming tradition. Quantum of solace should be viewed 3 to 4 times to truly appreciate the This story, while not written by Ian Flemming, is the natural extension of Casino Royale. Quantum of Solace explores the personal and professional issue that James Bond deals with in 'becomming Bond'. I found the film to be intelligent, well paced and in keeping with the Ian Flemming tradition. Quantum of solace should be viewed 3 to 4 times to truly appreciate the 'Art' of film making that was put into this project. Enjoy. Expand
  79. MB
    Dec 23, 2008
    So yes it's confusing. And yes upon leaving I had many unanswered questions. Not a huge fan of simply taking off from where the last left off. As I wasn't prepared for this I spent most of the opening car chase trying to remember the last bond film I watched two years ago. All that aside, the action is great. Craig is by far the most legitimate Bond character ever. Yes Connery So yes it's confusing. And yes upon leaving I had many unanswered questions. Not a huge fan of simply taking off from where the last left off. As I wasn't prepared for this I spent most of the opening car chase trying to remember the last bond film I watched two years ago. All that aside, the action is great. Craig is by far the most legitimate Bond character ever. Yes Connery was great, but Craig's character is a nice change from the boyish, unrealistic bonds of old. Expand
  80. May 21, 2011
    i found this an enjoyable movie however what has let it down is too much action. The acting was good as you would expect from a james bond movie and so was the storyline. it was just too fast paced there was not much talk involved it needed to take sometime to slow down every so often
  81. Oct 28, 2012
    Quantum of Solace turns back the clock on Casino Royale's unconventional structure to bring about a more traditional Bond adventure. Craig still makes for an excellent 007, investing the role with emotional gravitas. The action scenes are more fantastical than it's predecessor and as such have that tangible James Bond feel to them. Quantum of Solace is a good movie, even though it makes meQuantum of Solace turns back the clock on Casino Royale's unconventional structure to bring about a more traditional Bond adventure. Craig still makes for an excellent 007, investing the role with emotional gravitas. The action scenes are more fantastical than it's predecessor and as such have that tangible James Bond feel to them. Quantum of Solace is a good movie, even though it makes me cry to see a DB7 banged up so roughly. Expand
  82. Jul 19, 2011
    I find the negative reviews of this film laughable: 1. I DOES NOT UNDRSTAND DER PLOT... why? because the film does not pause to explain everything like so many modern films do? Everyone I watched this film with understood the plot without many questions. 2. WATER? WATER?... being completely unaware of how valuable water is makes a poor excuse for disliking a film. Having no understandingI find the negative reviews of this film laughable: 1. I DOES NOT UNDRSTAND DER PLOT... why? because the film does not pause to explain everything like so many modern films do? Everyone I watched this film with understood the plot without many questions. 2. WATER? WATER?... being completely unaware of how valuable water is makes a poor excuse for disliking a film. Having no understanding of current events and problems is just sad. 3. SO MUCH AKTON IS NOT BOND... yes, it is. This film does action sequences better than the slow and clumsy Bond films of yesteryear and that is a good thing. 4. I LIKE BROSNAN BETTERER... yes, those were great movies. No one should question that. Expand
  83. Dec 14, 2011
    An underrated gem of a Bond film. No, its not your usual epic, lavish Bond adventure. It is instead a very taut action thriller in the vein of films like Taken and euro-thrillers. I have no doubt that in years to come it will become more highly regarded as other "different" Bond films like On Her Majestys Secret Service and Licence To Kill have.
  84. Jan 3, 2012
    Stuck on this film, the story editing is great and fast moving for all the right reasons, but some action scenes (such as the opening) makes no logical sense, Yes it's thrilling (In large thanx to the sound effects) but It is dizzying instead of entertaining. The film is well made but the half a second editing still enhances the film at certain times (planes chase sequence, hotel roomStuck on this film, the story editing is great and fast moving for all the right reasons, but some action scenes (such as the opening) makes no logical sense, Yes it's thrilling (In large thanx to the sound effects) but It is dizzying instead of entertaining. The film is well made but the half a second editing still enhances the film at certain times (planes chase sequence, hotel room fight) and hurts at others. The film is well written for the genre and actually improves certain aspects of Casino Royale, but the overproduced editing hurts it from being better than Casino Royale. Expand
  85. Aug 25, 2014
    Mr. Bond is back. His last mission is still rattling the 007 and the MI6's trust in him, which causes constant conflicts as Bond continues to hunt for the men responsible for the death of the woman he loved - and who then betrayed her.

The story takes him to places around the world, he meets two women on the road (although only one lasts to round two, rendering the "other Bond girl" completely pointless), makes more enemies than is healthy for one man and keeps on getting up and killing people who might be more useful alive.

The action wasn't entirely non-stop, there wasn't that much scheming, but the story carried itself pretty well and there were enough stunts and flashes to cover any major flaws.
  86. Aug 4, 2012
    I'll tell you straight! The film Quantum of Solace is not for everyone. Those who watched movies as a child because of the steep Bond shootouts, chases, fights will be very upset because of their absence. And those who watched them because the story will be completely satisfied. You can also recommend this film to those who did not sign with the Bond. They will appear in this film aI'll tell you straight! The film Quantum of Solace is not for everyone. Those who watched movies as a child because of the steep Bond shootouts, chases, fights will be very upset because of their absence. And those who watched them because the story will be completely satisfied. You can also recommend this film to those who did not sign with the Bond. They will appear in this film a masterpiece. I belong to the latter. So I put it the highest rating. Expand
  87. Nov 2, 2012
    Muy aceptable. Acción a raudales desde el primer minuto. Continuidad con la anterior entrega de Daniel Craig. Globalización a tope, enseñándonos como la economía y el poder pasan por encima de los mandatarios. Lealtad. En contra algunas escenas con demasiado movimiento que necesitan un esfuerzo de concentración, así como el deseo de venganzaMuy aceptable. Acción a raudales desde el primer minuto. Continuidad con la anterior entrega de Daniel Craig. Globalización a tope, enseñándonos como la economía y el poder pasan por encima de los mandatarios. Lealtad. En contra algunas escenas con demasiado movimiento que necesitan un esfuerzo de concentración, así como el deseo de venganza y demasiadas muertes. Es cierto que después de la venganza se nos muestra que esta deja igualmente un vacío.
    Fabulosa la interpretación tanto de Daniel Craig como de Judi Dench.
  88. Nov 4, 2012
    Like a solid second act. Ends up being only a follow up to the original instead of its own movie. A step down from Casino Royale, but I'm still looking forward to future installments.
  89. Nov 29, 2012
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I really, really like this movie. I am not a fan of old Bond - I loved Casino Royale, and think that this film really stands up as a sequel to it. I liked that it had one, clear plot, and tied in well with Casino. At the end of that film, Bond realizes he has been betrayed by the only woman that he ever let himself love - he respondsI'm going to go against the grain here and say that I really, really like this movie. I am not a fan of old Bond - I loved Casino Royale, and think that this film really stands up as a sequel to it. I liked that it had one, clear plot, and tied in well with Casino. At the end of that film, Bond realizes he has been betrayed by the only woman that he ever let himself love - he responds by shutting his feelings off entirely, and beginning a mad quest for revenge. The action scenes are smart and quick, and Olga Kurylenko as Camila is extremely beautiful, but also very interesting with a subplot of her own. There are so many small character building moments in this film, and the villain leads us to believe that there is a sinister Bilderberg type group pulling the strings for all of these coups in major countries. Nice to see Felix back again, and the political intrigue parts of the film were sharp. M's maternal relationship with Bond is subtly expanded upon. The Opera scene is flipping brilliant. Overall, I think that this is one of my favorite action movies of all time, and honestly it's super underrated. Expand
  90. Jan 18, 2013
    This is a very good action movie. The story is good, The cast is good, just everything is good. I give this movie an 8 because I expected more as casino royal.
  91. Mar 12, 2014
    "Quantum of Solace" might be the least best in the Daniel Craig series, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just a bit short of these awesome movies.
  92. Sep 30, 2013
    I watched this movie with skepticism but was truly surprised and happy with the end result. The action sequences are sublime and the story is more than entertaining. Bond is well represented and well played. I may be a minority for loving this film but I feel it has everything that makes the Bond character amazing. Love the movie from start to finish!

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    As with "The Dark Knight," the only real caveat is that while it's exciting and imaginative, it's not exactly anyone's idea of fun. To keep in the game, perhaps the next movie could let the hero enjoy himself a bit more.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Slater
    Quantum of Solace may be explosive with images of fiery infernos, but it's convoluted and confusing, the plot playing second fiddle to its set pieces.
  3. The new picture allows hardly any flourishes of style and character in the 007 tradition, but moviegoers seeking an adrenaline rush will be well pleased.