5.6

1. Apr 14, 2014
    Loved it. Yes it has some excruciatingly awkward moments, and yes the main character played by Hathaway can be an unlikable spoiled brat. It's also completely authentic from beginning to end, with not a single performance that's bad, and even in Hathaway's snotty character, played most brilliantly of them all, there is at least some to find admirable in the end, and we can still findLoved it. Yes it has some excruciatingly awkward moments, and yes the main character played by Hathaway can be an unlikable spoiled brat. It's also completely authentic from beginning to end, with not a single performance that's bad, and even in Hathaway's snotty character, played most brilliantly of them all, there is at least some to find admirable in the end, and we can still find sympathy with her dealing dark drug addicted past even if we don't really like her that much. I also like that the interracial marriage aspect of the film is treated as no big deal, as it should in this day and age. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2010
    This might be the oddest reaction I've had to a movie in a long time. Overall, the movie was a complete bore. I think it was poorly directed by Jonathan Demme. The length was tantamount to watching paint dry. Granted, it was primarily centered around women, so drama is a given, but the extent and unending drama in this movie is unnecessary and quite stupid.

Yet... Anne Hathaway, as

Yet...

Anne Hathaway, as nails-on-chalkboard irritating as she is in this movie, obviously pulls off a stunning performance since I completely removed Anne Hathaway from the role. She WAS Kym. And, thus, as bad as the movie was, Anne Hathaway moved up a level in my book. A fantastic performance definitely worthy of the Oscar nod.
  3. Nov 11, 2010
    Amazing to read so many bad reviews for such a gripping movie. I don't know if MickaelK has a point when he writes that for some viewers used to a binary take on things, having to come to grips with psychological complexity may prove too unsettling, so they shut themselves up and would rather be bored stiff than admit to this uneasiness, which you feel at times. I guess some people do notAmazing to read so many bad reviews for such a gripping movie. I don't know if MickaelK has a point when he writes that for some viewers used to a binary take on things, having to come to grips with psychological complexity may prove too unsettling, so they shut themselves up and would rather be bored stiff than admit to this uneasiness, which you feel at times. I guess some people do not want to be made to feel and think at the same time. What I found a little overdone, but I guess it was part of the caricature, was the wasp and higly pc atmosphere throughout; other than that, a very subtle movie about how guilt gets passed on from one family member to the next, how one copes -or not- with it ; great acting, all of them, and such moving moments, there's sthg "pure" and cutting about this movie, like crystal. Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2011
    Jonathan Demme is an expert in creating humanistic environments and immersing the viewer into the film. He did that in "The Silence of the Lambs" and repeats his technique here in a brilliant manner.
  5. Sep 1, 2014
    Rachel Getting Married is an experience. A wedding experience like none other. One of the most dysfunctional families will bring you home no matter the relationship you have with your family. It's dark, it's emotional and it's Jonathan Demme's best work since Silence of the Lambs. Anne Hathaway receives a much-deserved Oscar nomination in one of her finest roles to date.
  6. Jun 13, 2013
    Anne Hatth a whatever her name is awful, just like this movie. It was painfully horrible to sit through. A pile of rubbish. It did not warrant my time. I hated everything about it.

1. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    A film whose lightness of touch rides a wave of family conflict to perfectly balance smiles and tears.
    A minor work, but so menaced by distress that the characters take every opportunity to dance the dark away.
  3. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Brimming with energy, elan and the unpredictability of his "Something Wild," Jonathan Demme's triumphant Rachel Getting Married may just lay the wedding film to rest, being such a hard act to follow.