5.6

1. Mar 31, 2015
    I'm not one for hyperbole. I'm not easily impressed. I'm not overly critical. I'm pretty objective. That said: this is seriously THE WORST movie I ever saw. Nothing to like. No characters likeable. Just terrible. Camarawork and editing is the worst ever. B grade or below. Don't watch this POS. Just don't!

I love Anne Hathaway....didn't care for her in this. The only

I love Anne Hathaway....didn't care for her in this. The only redeeming quality was how laughably bad it was. As the torture fest went on, we just had to laugh to each other to ease the pain. So bad. Bad music, bad bad bad...get the point? I rarely give a zero.
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Rachel Getting Married is an experience. A wedding experience like none other. One of the most dysfunctional families will bring you home no matter the relationship you have with your family. It's dark, it's emotional and it's Jonathan Demme's best work since Silence of the Lambs. Anne Hathaway receives a much-deserved Oscar nomination in one of her finest roles to date.
  3. Apr 14, 2014
    Loved it. Yes it has some excruciatingly awkward moments, and yes the main character played by Hathaway can be an unlikable spoiled brat. It's also completely authentic from beginning to end, with not a single performance that's bad, and even in Hathaway's snotty character, played most brilliantly of them all, there is at least some to find admirable in the end, and we can still findLoved it. Yes it has some excruciatingly awkward moments, and yes the main character played by Hathaway can be an unlikable spoiled brat. It's also completely authentic from beginning to end, with not a single performance that's bad, and even in Hathaway's snotty character, played most brilliantly of them all, there is at least some to find admirable in the end, and we can still find sympathy with her dealing dark drug addicted past even if we don't really like her that much. I also like that the interracial marriage aspect of the film is treated as no big deal, as it should in this day and age. Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    Anne Hatth a whatever her name is awful, just like this movie. It was painfully horrible to sit through. A pile of rubbish. It did not warrant my time. I hated everything about it.
  5. Nov 1, 2011
    Jonathan Demme is an expert in creating humanistic environments and immersing the viewer into the film. He did that in "The Silence of the Lambs" and repeats his technique here in a brilliant manner.
  6. Nov 11, 2010
    Amazing to read so many bad reviews for such a gripping movie. I don't know if MickaelK has a point when he writes that for some viewers used to a binary take on things, having to come to grips with psychological complexity may prove too unsettling, so they shut themselves up and would rather be bored stiff than admit to this uneasiness, which you feel at times. I guess some people do notAmazing to read so many bad reviews for such a gripping movie. I don't know if MickaelK has a point when he writes that for some viewers used to a binary take on things, having to come to grips with psychological complexity may prove too unsettling, so they shut themselves up and would rather be bored stiff than admit to this uneasiness, which you feel at times. I guess some people do not want to be made to feel and think at the same time. What I found a little overdone, but I guess it was part of the caricature, was the wasp and higly pc atmosphere throughout; other than that, a very subtle movie about how guilt gets passed on from one family member to the next, how one copes -or not- with it ; great acting, all of them, and such moving moments, there's sthg "pure" and cutting about this movie, like crystal. Expand
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    This might be the oddest reaction I've had to a movie in a long time. Overall, the movie was a complete bore. I think it was poorly directed by Jonathan Demme. The length was tantamount to watching paint dry. Granted, it was primarily centered around women, so drama is a given, but the extent and unending drama in this movie is unnecessary and quite stupid.

Yet... Anne Hathaway, as

Yet...

Anne Hathaway, as nails-on-chalkboard irritating as she is in this movie, obviously pulls off a stunning performance since I completely removed Anne Hathaway from the role. She WAS Kym. And, thus, as bad as the movie was, Anne Hathaway moved up a level in my book. A fantastic performance definitely worthy of the Oscar nod.
  8. BobF
    Oct 17, 2009
    Very good acting and, I suppose, a good look at a family in distress. Too long and too many scenes that drift into meaningless wastes of time. The good is outweighed by the boredom. OK at best.
  9. JeremyK
    Oct 13, 2009
    Extraordinarily disappointing as I had built up some confidence in David Edelstein - who incredulously called this myopic misfire a "masterpiece" - but find myself utterly underwhelmed by this amateur-hour soap opera dresssed up as an edgy indie film. There is no doubt some craftiness to the direction and use of ensemble acting - but what a soulless cheeseball of a movie. We despise all Extraordinarily disappointing as I had built up some confidence in David Edelstein - who incredulously called this myopic misfire a "masterpiece" - but find myself utterly underwhelmed by this amateur-hour soap opera dresssed up as an edgy indie film. There is no doubt some craftiness to the direction and use of ensemble acting - but what a soulless cheeseball of a movie. We despise all the characters (sometimes guilting them by association) and the way the over-the-top antics of the main characters who are of so little consequence, not only to each other, but to the detriment of the viewers curiosity about - what happens next? "Who are these people and who cares?" is a more appropriately realistic intuition. A nauseating exercise in watching an out of touch director portray a cliched dysfunctional family, peppered with all the usual (only more agonizing to sit through) drama and squabbles while you get the distinct feeling that on and off screen, this group couldn't be more stuffed with themselves in their self-congratulations - as though something even remotely worthwhile had been fashioned. They're wrong and it's 2 hours of your life you'll never recover. I suppose it earns a four because of the intensity of my disdain for this film (much the same intensity of dislike I had for Paul Haggis' "Crash"-- that must be worth something, mustn't it? This my friends is a film made by and for the fat, happy and utterly ignorant.(Oh, and that's an expression, not an attack on the overweight). Skip it or see it and let the gagfest begin.. Expand
  10. TimS
    Sep 2, 2009
    The acting is good and convincing. The movie is arty, indeed. But it doesn't save it from being excrutiatingly boring. Deep films which are also dynamic and interesting do exist; this one fails to keep attention.
  11. Trevor
    Sep 1, 2009
    wtf... I find it hard to believe this received the critical reviews it did. You would think professional movie critics would be able to see through faux-art contrivances that fill this movie from beginning to end, but apparently not. This film epitomises the phrase "all style and no substance". There really is no plot to speak of; imagine watching someone random person's wedding wtf... I find it hard to believe this received the critical reviews it did. You would think professional movie critics would be able to see through faux-art contrivances that fill this movie from beginning to end, but apparently not. This film epitomises the phrase "all style and no substance". There really is no plot to speak of; imagine watching someone random person's wedding video, and you'll come pretty close to approximating what it was like to watch. The attempt to include every conceivable race and culture in the wedding party / ceremony is totally contrived. One of the most annoying, pointless films you are likely to see. Expand
  12. ValentinaC
    Aug 7, 2009
    I've just seen this film and i thought it was beautiful. Not only the plot and the acting was good, but notice the cinematography. Please do.
  13. MB
    Aug 5, 2009
    Was this Demme's attempt at Dogma? He should leave it to Von Trier and the other Europeans. If the majority of American families act like this - we truly are at the end of the Empire.
  14. marlac
    Aug 2, 2009
    I should have listened to the viewers - where did i read this was a good movie? YUCKO! way too contrived - OMG this was horrible - too much talking - no action - what a bad soap opera.
  15. RobS.
    Jul 22, 2009
    This was a difficult movie to watch... and it was amazing. If you gave it a 0 or 1 then I guarantee that you've never known an addict. Hathaway's performance was phenomenal. I feel that all of the scenes that many reviewers felt were superfluous were designed to bring you closer to the family. The viewer was meant to experience this wedding as if they were part of the family and This was a difficult movie to watch... and it was amazing. If you gave it a 0 or 1 then I guarantee that you've never known an addict. Hathaway's performance was phenomenal. I feel that all of the scenes that many reviewers felt were superfluous were designed to bring you closer to the family. The viewer was meant to experience this wedding as if they were part of the family and experience Kym's pain as if it affected them personally. This was of the best films that I have seen this year. Expand
  16. RustyJ
    Jun 29, 2009
    To paraphrase President Obama, I'm not against all arty flicks, I'm against bad, boring arty flicks which on top of it waste a half hour playing mediocre music (Robyn Hitchcock? Pick up the phone Demme, the 80's are calling you home).
  17. PatD
    Jun 27, 2009
    An implausible piece of liberal, PC rubbish. Thumbs up for some of the acting performances, a shame it was all for naught in this stinker. Interesting merely as a study of what's wrong with America: neurotic, dysfunctional, nihilistic, delusional. Oh, and all that violin playing was very annoying.
  18. MichaelK.
    Jun 23, 2009
    A slow start, indeed, but it grew to be rather compelling after maybe 20 minutes in. I think the reason many of those who gave it less than 5 didn't like is because the director is not telling the audience exactly how to feel. North American audiences have been lulled into being told when to laugh, cry, that we are in shock (and "bored") when we're not given such clearA slow start, indeed, but it grew to be rather compelling after maybe 20 minutes in. I think the reason many of those who gave it less than 5 didn't like is because the director is not telling the audience exactly how to feel. North American audiences have been lulled into being told when to laugh, cry, that we are in shock (and "bored") when we're not given such clear direction. I was amazed at this film. I couldn't understand why it had that power. When I watched the special features which discussed the filmaking technique, I was intrigued. Expand
  19. David
    May 31, 2009
    A masterpiece. Anyone who has had a family tragedy or tensions will see the immense value of this film. Hathaway is a revelation here and I'm sure most of the negative comments come from folks who expected a typical Hathaway PRINCESS DIARY PART 14 but this is life and the chirpy Anne we have come to love was not invited to this wedding. Bravo to everyone involved, esp. director A masterpiece. Anyone who has had a family tragedy or tensions will see the immense value of this film. Hathaway is a revelation here and I'm sure most of the negative comments come from folks who expected a typical Hathaway PRINCESS DIARY PART 14 but this is life and the chirpy Anne we have come to love was not invited to this wedding. Bravo to everyone involved, esp. director Demme. Thanks for an astounding evening....we didn't even pause the DVD for a restroom break! Expand
  20. JohnS
    May 24, 2009
    15 minutes in and I knew renting this looked like a mistake. 30 minutes in and I stopped watching. Yet another example of a movie loved by critics and panned by those of us who just want to enjoy a movie.
  21. KaiF
    May 12, 2009
    I wanted to give it a 9, but after reading all the comments i finally gave it a 10. It's kind of uplifting that this movie got so many mixed responses, but still i could't really understand why. Then i read a comment about how this is the most overrated movie since Lost in Translation. I think this says it all. There are three types of reviewers. 1. Who totally hated it 2. Who I wanted to give it a 9, but after reading all the comments i finally gave it a 10. It's kind of uplifting that this movie got so many mixed responses, but still i could't really understand why. Then i read a comment about how this is the most overrated movie since Lost in Translation. I think this says it all. There are three types of reviewers. 1. Who totally hated it 2. Who totally hated it but at least recognized the great acting 3. Who totally loved it. I think the first two groups of people got astray in their local big commercial cinema because the title stood next to those of the standard Hollywood production...best family drama i have ever seen and i have seen it twice, because it was not a second boring. Expand
  22. GMan
    May 10, 2009
    Worst piece of garbage I've ever had the misfortune to be sat in front of. A God-aweful train train wreck of a movie, and a tragic waste of a few precious minutes of the remaining days of my life. Gah!!!
  23. LorieG
    May 8, 2009
    what a worthless lib-fest. One person has a few bucks, and the rest of the rats hang on for a good? time. This just shows the rest of us how worthless liberals are.
  24. AndyS
    Apr 30, 2009
    I felt the need to rate and review this film for it's low score according to users. As of now, it is sitting at a 5.5 which is entirely too low considering most the crap that gets rated up here. Rachel Getting Married was a great film which gave me some of those rare moments in movies where I felt the emotions of the characters and their problems. It gives us a realistic picture of I felt the need to rate and review this film for it's low score according to users. As of now, it is sitting at a 5.5 which is entirely too low considering most the crap that gets rated up here. Rachel Getting Married was a great film which gave me some of those rare moments in movies where I felt the emotions of the characters and their problems. It gives us a realistic picture of how a family would deal with a crisis like the one portrayed here. Despite your opinions of the characters, they are realistic nonetheless, which makes the film that much more poignant. Expand
  25. TonyB.
    Apr 24, 2009
    Have you ever watched a good home movie that was in desperate need of editing because many unnecessary and/or too long scenes were allowed to go on forever. If you have, you will be reminded of that experience when you see Rachel Getting Married.
  26. BenK
    Apr 21, 2009
    A confusing mismash of brief scenes, music and awkwardness. A painful movie only to be watched with painkillers.
  27. Matthew
    Apr 18, 2009
    I have a headache now. One of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. WOW. I learned nothing and I certainly was not entertained. Cry me a river.
  28. MarkL
    Apr 16, 2009
    Demme should not be allowed to make another movie, amatuerish, boring and plain bad.
  29. MarkC
    Apr 14, 2009
    I wonder if all the low ratings here come from people who actually appreciate unique films, or who expected to see something slicker, or another movie altogether? I can see not caring too much, personally, for the characters. But they're not exactly meant to be likeable. I found the "interracial" "musician" element of the film a bit precious, myself (and wished they'd stop with I wonder if all the low ratings here come from people who actually appreciate unique films, or who expected to see something slicker, or another movie altogether? I can see not caring too much, personally, for the characters. But they're not exactly meant to be likeable. I found the "interracial" "musician" element of the film a bit precious, myself (and wished they'd stop with the damn music at some point). But I thought the direction had a great, fresh immediacy. The whole cast was absolutely stellar. And the story of addiction's effect on a family is told frankly, unsentimentally--but with compassion, as well (yes, morons--and it's a big reason they "argue so much"). The film is a great achievement for its writer, director and cast. Can't think of many films that do what it does. Expand
  30. LoganW
    Apr 12, 2009
    Horrendous mess of a movie without a single redeeming character. In short: a group of the rich and clueless stage a wedding; ennui ensues. Reasons to hate these people? The lead character, despite selfishly having committed manslaughter, is still a self-centered, self-destructive twit. The wealthy but dim yuppie scum have an Indian-themed wedding, even though no actual Indians are Horrendous mess of a movie without a single redeeming character. In short: a group of the rich and clueless stage a wedding; ennui ensues. Reasons to hate these people? The lead character, despite selfishly having committed manslaughter, is still a self-centered, self-destructive twit. The wealthy but dim yuppie scum have an Indian-themed wedding, even though no actual Indians are present, of course The only pale highlight is the few moments of song by Robyn Hitchcock, who deserves better. I kept fantasizing that a Terminator would show up and hose the whole cast with machine-gun fire, But if that had happened, then this movie would not serve its real purpose as time-served in Purgatory. Expand
  31. RogerM
    Apr 7, 2009
    Worst movie in the history of movies. The favorable newspaper reviews only prove why the average person puts very little faith in what those critics have to say.
  32. DougM
    Apr 4, 2009
    A string of over-indulgent unrealistic characters. A story with no punch. Dull. Lifeless. The director should be slapped.
  33. JW
    Apr 4, 2009
    Average at best. Attempts to be subtle by bitch slapping us with the obvious.
  34. TimG
    Apr 2, 2009
    I had high expectations for this movie, but I was extremely disappointed. If you want to watch two hours of whining by two women, this is the movie for you. I thought there would be more substance to this movie.
  35. roberti
    Mar 27, 2009
    The upwelling, always-surprising pain that follows our seemingly perfect world plays across the face of Anne Hathaway, a character in recovery when all surounding her appear unscathed in pristine Connecticut. If a few scenes seem self-indulgent or linger too long, the film throws us off-kilter again. One of the most painfully affirming and real movies of the past year.
  36. GaborA.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Critics rarely let me down this much, but man was this an over hyped suck fest. Scenes come in pairs: Mundane(people dancing at a wedding, introductions, long hugs, eating food, etc), and then to make up for that we have string of cliches and melodrama. But wait. Its an interracial wedding. Now its interesting, right? Sorry. Drug addiction. Past tragedy. Some of this could have been Critics rarely let me down this much, but man was this an over hyped suck fest. Scenes come in pairs: Mundane(people dancing at a wedding, introductions, long hugs, eating food, etc), and then to make up for that we have string of cliches and melodrama. But wait. Its an interracial wedding. Now its interesting, right? Sorry. Drug addiction. Past tragedy. Some of this could have been interesting if not always presented in the same manner with the same results over and over (every character cries at least 10 times). Even the performances are overrated. Everyone just gets into one zone and never breaks from it (probably because it seems this movie was filmed in two days). This isn't a genre leap at all. Just indie at its worst. Expand
  37. AllanW.
    Mar 21, 2009
    Some good acting lifts a fairly routine and slow-moving story. Too many scenes are dragged out with little payoff. Jonathan Demme seems to have tried to hard for "nauralism."
  38. LadoR.
    Mar 20, 2009
    Without a doubt the worst film I have ever seen.
  39. JM.
    Mar 16, 2009
    Horrible. I thought this movie would never end.
  40. JeffB.
    Mar 16, 2009
    I thought this was an incredible examination of family and of pain that we have long internalized, but never forgotten. And to Tim C, I love movies within movies, but there are also things called character driven movies. How is it awful? Is it like that guy who said that it was just a wedding video by rich people? Well, this is the internet. Can't expect everyone to have a coherent opinion.
  41. MonicaMexico
    Mar 14, 2009
    I can't remember the last time I ejected a movie halfway through. This one was horrible - pretentious, boring, annoying, depressing. I'm just glad I only spent $1 on it at a Red Box.
  42. LorenzK
    Mar 13, 2009
    No movie has ever moved my heart like this one. It is filled with sadness and joy and a celebration of humanity. Kym really tries to be sober and live a life, and honest. If you do that you will be loved, that#s what I learned.
  43. TimC
    Mar 12, 2009
    I love movies usually in any movie even ones i don't like, and espicially one like this rated so high, I can find something to like but this movie is awful and boring. The acting may be good but so what and who carest!! I watch movies for story not just acting. Total waste of time!
  44. JoyceJ
    Mar 11, 2009
    Disturbing, yes, but incisive study of family dynamics. Very original. Amazing acting, beautifully executed film.
  45. MichaelL.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Hathaway is beyond brilliant--the perfect portrayal of an addict through unsympathetic--as opposed to warm and fuzzy--means. Self-absorbed, unwilling to accept responsibility, her Kym is spot-on. Yet, we still root for her for some reason. As perfect as Hathaway, Winger and the rest of the cast are, the film is burdened by Demme's odd need to include us in the wedding--capturing Hathaway is beyond brilliant--the perfect portrayal of an addict through unsympathetic--as opposed to warm and fuzzy--means. Self-absorbed, unwilling to accept responsibility, her Kym is spot-on. Yet, we still root for her for some reason. As perfect as Hathaway, Winger and the rest of the cast are, the film is burdened by Demme's odd need to include us in the wedding--capturing every mundane, ultimately irritating detail of Rachel's unique reception on-screen. Hey, had I actually known these people and been a guest, I'd have had a hoot. But I don't, and I was bored to tears. Had a brave editor cut 90% of the reception footage, "Rachel Getting Married" would have ascended to masterpiece status. Instead, it's a great, if self-indulgent, character study blessed with perfect performances and a witty, brave, and unexpected script. Collapse
  46. JayH.
    Mar 8, 2009
    It's certainly well acted, especially by Anne Hathaway and Debra Winger. Terrific and convincingly made story. Not very cheery, but movies on dysfunctional families rarely are. Well photographed.
  47. JayL.
    Feb 24, 2009
    Just a fantastic film, although admittedly not for everyone. Reminded me of the Danish film "Festen".
  48. MichaelS.
    Feb 21, 2009
    I don't understand how so many people found this movie to be boring. I felt like I was there.
  49. MattH.
    Feb 17, 2009
    This film reminded me a bit of Revolutionary Road, how most of the movie is spent with the characters arguing amongst each other. It's mildly entertaining at times, while acted very well. I had a difficult time really caring about any of the characters, but enjoyed watching them on the screen. It's a swell picture with superb acting, but nothing to write home about.
  50. TedD.
    Feb 15, 2009
    Boring, predictable melodramatic schmaltz with stereotypical characters, like the poor recovering addict with a secret "reason" for her troubles and the cold, "perfect" sister and the out-of-touch father, blah blah blah. The other characters are a bunch of smug, pompous doofuses. There is nothing funny or even amusing about this movie, so please, please stop calling it a dark comedy. Boring, predictable melodramatic schmaltz with stereotypical characters, like the poor recovering addict with a secret "reason" for her troubles and the cold, "perfect" sister and the out-of-touch father, blah blah blah. The other characters are a bunch of smug, pompous doofuses. There is nothing funny or even amusing about this movie, so please, please stop calling it a dark comedy. It's an endless parade of vacuous, annoying characters going on and on about their feelings, just assuming that we would care. I don't see why anyone would. Just dreadful. Expand
  51. DanD.
    Feb 15, 2009
    I had no interest in these self-absorbed characters. There was nothing compelling or interesting about them at all, and the film just congratulates their pomposity. If you enjoy watching random wealthy strangers' wedding videos, then you might enjoy this, but I didn't.
  52. HannaS.
    Feb 10, 2009
    I loved this movie- the characters, the tension, the exuberance of the wedding. Anne Hathaway and the supporting actors were magnificent.
  53. aideenM
    Feb 10, 2009
    Excellent acting. Anne Hathaway is memorable in a difficult role. Her experiences with a dysfunctional family, during her sister's wedding weekend, are heartbreaking.
  54. Nick
    Feb 9, 2009
    Just horrible!
  55. jacksfilmblog.blogspot
    Feb 3, 2009
    Director Jonathan Demme and his cinematographer Declan Quinn do a great job creating the atmosphere of a real wedding video. The whole film is shot in a hand-held, home-movie style, with characters often acknowledging the camera and sometimes the other cameras in the room even getting in the shot. However, this style is often at odds with the random bursts of melodrama that Jenny Lumet
  56. AndreaB.
    Feb 2, 2009
    This was like one, long form acting class exercise and an embarrassment for all involved. I kept thinking that there might be an epiphanal moment, which was the only reason we didn't walk out. Not even a glass of wine could ease the boredom and pointlessness of this waste of film.
  57. RO.
    Jan 31, 2009
    First, let me say that Rose Mary Dewitt is every bit as good as Anne Hathaway. Nevertheless the movie is every bit as excrucitaing as most weddings. If Demme was out to irritate us, he exceeds all expectations. Only when the 2 actresses were squared off was the movie mildly believable - the rest of it is just a mess. Stay home and watch paint dry.
  58. lindad.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Never have I been so frightened for a main character in a movie or so wanted to hug her and make it all okay. Great actors, great direction who would long for more!
  59. LinL
    Jan 27, 2009
    If you see this movie for Anne Hathaway's performance -- and understand that she's taking a break from being the winsome princess -- you won't be too disappointed. "Ordinary People" it's not (very perceptive of someone to bring that up) but it's an interesting, colorful place to spend a couple of hours (though the wedding scene does go on and on and on). One thing If you see this movie for Anne Hathaway's performance -- and understand that she's taking a break from being the winsome princess -- you won't be too disappointed. "Ordinary People" it's not (very perceptive of someone to bring that up) but it's an interesting, colorful place to spend a couple of hours (though the wedding scene does go on and on and on). One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that physically, Hathaway does not look as if she could be part of this family -- her face, complexion, features don't with with them at all. Careless casting, or was this on purpose for the obvious reasons?? Expand
  60. SkipYoung
    Jan 26, 2009
    It tries to be Cinema Verite, but I never believed it. So many of the emotional reactions struck me as implausible and melodramatic: Rachel
  61. JamesD.
    Jan 25, 2009
    I have my favorite types of movies,but, always have an open mind to just about any movie so long as it is entertaining. Having said that, I would have been better served sitting home in a closet, reading the phonebook for two hours rather than wasting two hours of my life sitting through this!
  62. LawrenceP.
    Jan 24, 2009
    Scripts a little clunky in spots but overall RGM makes you wish there was an Oscar for ensemble work.
  63. KellyS.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Simply engaging.
  64. GregB.
    Dec 29, 2008
    We just returned from the theater and are scratching our heads. From the totally over-used and terribly distracting trend of hand-held "realistic" camera work (that not only made us feel that we were NOT there to witness the action, but made us want to leave the theater) to the pathetic sound work that rendered too much of the dialogue unintelligible, this movie was an absolute mess. We just returned from the theater and are scratching our heads. From the totally over-used and terribly distracting trend of hand-held "realistic" camera work (that not only made us feel that we were NOT there to witness the action, but made us want to leave the theater) to the pathetic sound work that rendered too much of the dialogue unintelligible, this movie was an absolute mess. Added to that the impossibly implausible multi-cultural nature of the music, the characters, the wedding theme and mixed race couples (the only ones MIA were the gays), this movie could never get out from under it's own stupidity. What a waste of an incredible performance on the part of Anne Hathaway. Expand
  65. KathyS.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Excellent performances, especially from Anne Hathaway and Bill Irwin. Richly textured and surprising. Loved it.
  66. michaelw.
    Dec 9, 2008
    I concede that the film is a tad self-indulgent in terms of length, dramatic past events, and cloverfield-style shakiness; but, the moments that work are exquisite, heartbreaking, and real. To watch the film is to attend a wedding. This family becomes your family for 2 hours. Their heartache becomes your heartache. Their joy is yours.
  67. LanceA.
    Dec 4, 2008
    Sam S., you are a tard. this isnt an indie movie. So your entire point was void. It was made by the same person that made silence of the lambs! i dont like the movie much either, but if you base your entire post on one things thats not true, it can be a problem. I do however agree with what you said about this movie trying to act "like" an indie movie, which i dont understand because i Sam S., you are a tard. this isnt an indie movie. So your entire point was void. It was made by the same person that made silence of the lambs! i dont like the movie much either, but if you base your entire post on one things thats not true, it can be a problem. I do however agree with what you said about this movie trying to act "like" an indie movie, which i dont understand because i think Indie movies are becoming more contrived and cliched than anything else. Expand
  68. JonR
    Dec 2, 2008
    This movie is too realistic. The troubled sister is convincing as a self-centered selfish addict far, far from recovery, although I've known addicts as needy who maintained some wit and warmth. The bride a the dad and the mom were as screwed up in their different self-concerned ways, just as you'd expect in a dysfunctional family. They had no good lines. No one did. We heard a This movie is too realistic. The troubled sister is convincing as a self-centered selfish addict far, far from recovery, although I've known addicts as needy who maintained some wit and warmth. The bride a the dad and the mom were as screwed up in their different self-concerned ways, just as you'd expect in a dysfunctional family. They had no good lines. No one did. We heard a joke or two at the wedding dinner, but we'd already heard them in the trailer, where they were funny. The groom and his family seemed quite human, but they were kept out of sight. The Time critic has it about right. Expand
  69. SamS
    Dec 1, 2008
    Mainstream reviewers have gone from hating indie movies to loving them over the past few years. That's great, but in the quest to get away from cliches, they've gone too far. It's great to recognize over-processed, commercial pieces of shit, but not at the cost of blindly embracing un-processed shit. This movie is a crazily cliched romantic comedy with an "offbeat" hipster Mainstream reviewers have gone from hating indie movies to loving them over the past few years. That's great, but in the quest to get away from cliches, they've gone too far. It's great to recognize over-processed, commercial pieces of shit, but not at the cost of blindly embracing un-processed shit. This movie is a crazily cliched romantic comedy with an "offbeat" hipster girl and pretentious names. Expand
  70. A.Lauren
    Dec 1, 2008
    What an overrated piece of garbage! The director and screenwriter could not make up their minds as to who the protagonist was; consequently, we the audience members are left to witness a disorganized flailing of life drama, dragged out over multiple unnecessary hours. What astonishes me the most is the fact that so many reputable newspapers have given such high marks to this film. What an overrated piece of garbage! The director and screenwriter could not make up their minds as to who the protagonist was; consequently, we the audience members are left to witness a disorganized flailing of life drama, dragged out over multiple unnecessary hours. What astonishes me the most is the fact that so many reputable newspapers have given such high marks to this film. It'll make me think twice before trusting their advice again! Expand
  71. PatrickD.
    Dec 1, 2008
    my opinion of it was that it was too long and i am unsure what it was trying to accomplish. i would have been a bigger fan of an ending like her crashing of the same bridge that had killed her little brother and while only one of them is outlooking they dont find out and continue with the wedding. Then just before the kiss the police show up and inform them that kym is dead. I would have my opinion of it was that it was too long and i am unsure what it was trying to accomplish. i would have been a bigger fan of an ending like her crashing of the same bridge that had killed her little brother and while only one of them is outlooking they dont find out and continue with the wedding. Then just before the kiss the police show up and inform them that kym is dead. I would have applauded an ending like that. The movie however probably wouldnt be realistic, but who cares about realism. The movies are escapism; the trend of realism sucks. If kym had died she really would have been shiva the destroyer and the movie which is never really about rachel getting married would be all the funnier and sadder because the only way that she can get the attention she hates and wants would be to kill herself. Expand
  72. steves
    Nov 30, 2008
    This could have been an interesting movie about the trials of an addict coming out of rehab contrasted with a happy family event, her sister's wedding. Instead, the director decided to make a movie about a wedding with some small portion of the drama about the conflicts between the druggie and the family. A real disappointment.
  73. MikeH.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Obviously tdmac didn't watch the same film or he would not have said his last statement...the dishwasher scene is so weird and odd but at the same time entrancing and magical in the way the family connects. Then of course it is also tragic too. One of the best scenes I've seen in a film all year.
  74. seanm
    Nov 28, 2008
    Self-important and meandering. Wastes some wonderful ingredients by focusing too much attention on the vacuum that is supposed to be a plot.
  75. JordanL
    Nov 28, 2008
    A note to reviewers: They are critics for a reason. And you are not for the same reason. Get an education. Maybe then you could understand that EVERYTHING that a director includes in a film is there for a reason. Don't be so quick to shove everything off. And don't call these people "yucky". Some of us have families who have gone through similar things.
  76. DanH
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was reminded of the horror classic that had the tagline "Keep telling yourself it's only a movie..." Rarely has a drama made me this uncomfortable. Perhaps THE consummate dysfunctional family drama. Yes, the wedding itself drug on too long, and it seemed a little unrealistic how things went from complete emotional chaos for most of the movie to peace, joy and group hugs the day of I was reminded of the horror classic that had the tagline "Keep telling yourself it's only a movie..." Rarely has a drama made me this uncomfortable. Perhaps THE consummate dysfunctional family drama. Yes, the wedding itself drug on too long, and it seemed a little unrealistic how things went from complete emotional chaos for most of the movie to peace, joy and group hugs the day of the wedding, but still a great piece of filmmaking. Anne Hathaway and Rosemarie Dewitt are locks for Oscar nominations. Expand
  77. agnes
    Nov 23, 2008
    Think of your worst nightmare. Then be prepared to walk into a theater and try to keep your eyes open. This is as boring as it comes. You care nothing for any of the characters. There isn't a score low enough to properly rate this movie.
  78. LauraS
    Nov 22, 2008
    The good: Anne Hathaway's acting. The fact that my companion and I kept wanting to talk about different scenes when the movie was over. The bad: Let's face it, the movie was a bit dull. I found myself squirming in my seat. The ugly: Nothing. Anne Hathaway is still beautiful even when they try to make her look bedraggled, even when she has a bloody lip and a black eye.
  79. JohnS.
    Nov 22, 2008
    The very person you'd try to avoid in everyday life is force fed to you with no relief - a cinematic water torture aimed at the masochists among us.
  80. MarshallG.
    Nov 21, 2008
    Incredible! one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm really surprised by the negative comments. Must be people who need action flicks. Highly sensitive and emotionally powerful. Totally plausible. Go see it!
  81. EdwardK.
    Nov 21, 2008
    I was very impressed with the acting and the realism of this film. I agree with some others that the hand-held camera bit was overdone, but the performances of Anne Hathaway, Debra Winger, and Rosemarie DeWitt were outstanding.
  82. 773SleepyHollow
    Nov 16, 2008
    Is it too long? Yes. Self-indulgently so? Yes. But the film's pluses (the performances, the unsettling blend of dark and light tones, the admirable decision not to neatly tie up every last narrative strand) greatly outweigh the minuses... and I wonder if some who call the film manipulative are not comfortable with the real emotional reactions the film may have produced in them.
  83. MichaelK.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Thanks to the style of filming, it was almost like I was there. Hathaway proves she is not just a pretty face but also a talented actress. The rehearsal dinner scene, I was uncomfortable & nervous, on the edge of my seat, waiting for a total meltdown. The dishwasher scene was totally unpredictable and after seeing the film last night, I'll be going to see it again tomorrow and maybe Thanks to the style of filming, it was almost like I was there. Hathaway proves she is not just a pretty face but also a talented actress. The rehearsal dinner scene, I was uncomfortable & nervous, on the edge of my seat, waiting for a total meltdown. The dishwasher scene was totally unpredictable and after seeing the film last night, I'll be going to see it again tomorrow and maybe at the end of the week. Jonathan Demme has done it again, better dust off your Best Director speech for the Oscars!!!! Expand
  84. tdmac
    Nov 16, 2008
    Quoted from Lawrence Toppman's review in the Charlotte Observer: "Alfred Hitchcock once said, "Drama is life with the dull bits left out." Well, Rachel Getting Married is drama with the dull bits left in." Hahah. That made me laugh. I just saw this movie and that sums it up perfectly. I really do love slice of life stories, but this one was near unbearable. Was it necessary to Quoted from Lawrence Toppman's review in the Charlotte Observer: "Alfred Hitchcock once said, "Drama is life with the dull bits left out." Well, Rachel Getting Married is drama with the dull bits left in." Hahah. That made me laugh. I just saw this movie and that sums it up perfectly. I really do love slice of life stories, but this one was near unbearable. Was it necessary to include ALL of the toasts from every character and every extra in the room during the filming of the dinner reception? I mean sure. Set the tone. Let's get a taste of a few of them and then get to Kym's toast. That scene alone must have been 27 minutes long. The movie felt like it was shot in real time over the course of 2 - 3 days. Rachel goes to the bathroom in mornings. Rachel moves a hair out of her face. Rachel can't find the toothpicks. Rachel goes to the garage. Rachel hangs a shower curtain. Rachel watches Dad compete in a dishwasher loading competition with her fiance. That last one was real. Yikes. Expand
  85. JeffH.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Wonderful-great script and acting-in the class of The Big Chill but without the good music-Hathaway deserves an Oscar nomination.
  86. MikeMike
    Nov 15, 2008
    I usually trust a movie where the first several critics rate it at 100. 100 means perfect, people. This movie is a boring disaster. I am absolutely speechless.
  87. LaurenN.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Raw. Organic. Dark. Voyeristic. Hathaway's performance is nuanced and brilliant. The rest of the cast are also very natural. Filmed in a documentary style, the viewer feels as if s/he is the cameraman. Admittedly, it takes a while to get used to the hand held camera work and dark grainy quality of the film. It doesn't take long to realize though, that that is part of what makes Raw. Organic. Dark. Voyeristic. Hathaway's performance is nuanced and brilliant. The rest of the cast are also very natural. Filmed in a documentary style, the viewer feels as if s/he is the cameraman. Admittedly, it takes a while to get used to the hand held camera work and dark grainy quality of the film. It doesn't take long to realize though, that that is part of what makes the film work. This is not a film for people who want heavy plot and action. It is a character study and an extremely well done one at that. Expand
  88. KeithC.
    Nov 12, 2008
    Despite revolving around a happy occasion, this is a real downer. This movie is really about Rachel's younger sister Kym, who is a walking time bomb ready to throw a tantrum at the drop of a hat. She is a neurotic chain-smoker and recovering drug addict. With her nervous laughter and cynical tongue, she does everything to steal the spotlight away from rachel's big day. This Despite revolving around a happy occasion, this is a real downer. This movie is really about Rachel's younger sister Kym, who is a walking time bomb ready to throw a tantrum at the drop of a hat. She is a neurotic chain-smoker and recovering drug addict. With her nervous laughter and cynical tongue, she does everything to steal the spotlight away from rachel's big day. This low-budget, dramatic train wreck seems totally unscripted. The constantly moving hand-held camera jiggles and shakes. it simulates turbulence from a bumpy airline flight. there are several dull and boring stretches with bland characters not worth caring about. The speeches and toasts around the dinner table seem to be made up on the spot ad-libs. The pervasive background music is irritating and sounds worse than chalk on a blackboard. The movie resorts to a dishwasher loading contest for excitement. The movie is unsettling and uncomfortable to sit through. it could not end soon enough for me. the movie provides a heavy dose of reality portraying life as complicated, painful and messy. A better alternative than this poorly edited, homemade wedding video is to rent "Four Weddings and a Funeral." Expand
  89. KathyO
    Nov 11, 2008
    Dull, dull, dull - much of this film had no relevance to the plot.
  90. Shelley
    Nov 11, 2008
    To the people who are insulting the camera work in the film-is it possible that this was part of the point, to look like a hand held camera so that members of the audience are drawn further into the family event at hand? Perhaps it helps to allow one to feel as if they really at this wedding. This was obviously the desired effect, and it was brilliant. This movie is painful to watch, yes, To the people who are insulting the camera work in the film-is it possible that this was part of the point, to look like a hand held camera so that members of the audience are drawn further into the family event at hand? Perhaps it helps to allow one to feel as if they really at this wedding. This was obviously the desired effect, and it was brilliant. This movie is painful to watch, yes, but it is not supposed to be a fun, poorly written blockbuster movie for a weekend out with a vapid significant other. The film was very successful at capturing the pain and joy of family, which can be similar, albeit perhaps more extreme, to our own experiences. Expand
  91. John
    Nov 11, 2008
    Some of the most authentic dysfunctional family dynamics and dialogue ever, but also some of the most overlong, pretentious, contrived scenes ever. The wedding was excruciating. Why did we need 8 or 9 different musical groups at a wedding. It was 2 movies, one that worked, and one that looked like a college music dept review.
  92. JohnA
    Nov 10, 2008
    My jaw has dropped that critics and audiences alike aren't revering this film. Oh, well, the classics sections of the movie rental places are filled with films similarly received when initially released. Especially Anne Hathaway, Bill Irwin and Debra Winger are incredible in this movie.
  93. Beatrice
    Nov 10, 2008
    Absolutely horrendous. Not only are the critics wrong, I can't believe this garbage was even made.
  94. Gary
    Nov 10, 2008
    I'm convinced the professional critics are plain nuts. If I had made this movie with a hand held camcorder these same critics would not even watch it. It is simply depressing and awful. You care nothing for the characters and even less for the screenplay, that is, if you want to call it one. I walked out in the middle as did most of the audience.
  95. BillyS.
    Nov 9, 2008
    Connecticut. Home of the multi-racial, socially diverse, polically correct American family. yeah, right! I need re-hab to if my family was that perfect.
  96. Jackie
    Nov 9, 2008
    We walked out of the film after Kym confessed at her meeting that she was responsible for the death of her Brother. A film that was dark, depressing and not entertaining. Is the public so stupid to put up with the lack of excellece of plot, writing and just plain bad films? Dysfuntional families? No, dysfunctional Hollywood. Pathetic.
  97. Anita
    Nov 8, 2008
    This was absolutely the WORST movie my husband and I have ever seen!!!! I was literally fighting to keep my eyes open...FYI we went to the matinee...not a night time showing. The camera work was awful...very shaky ...hence my headache! The shaky camera work kind of started off like that Blair Witch movie! The plot was just dreadful, the 2 main characters were unbelievable as an engaged This was absolutely the WORST movie my husband and I have ever seen!!!! I was literally fighting to keep my eyes open...FYI we went to the matinee...not a night time showing. The camera work was awful...very shaky ...hence my headache! The shaky camera work kind of started off like that Blair Witch movie! The plot was just dreadful, the 2 main characters were unbelievable as an engaged couple. There was no chemistry between the 2 in our opinion! Please please save your money! DO NOT BOTHER SEEING THIS FARCE OF A MOVIE!!!! We finally had to follow suit and leave a third of the way through...just as THE MANY MANY theater goers did BEFORE of us that morning!!!! Expand
  98. BerndH.
    Nov 8, 2008
    A circus. Much of it was incoherent. Terrible music. If not for the very pretty Ann H. I would have walked out.
  99. AlanM.
    Nov 8, 2008
    It's certainly possible to make an interesting film about nast ypeople. This film however is not that. If I was at a party with these people, I would find an excuse to leave and be out at the first chance, Not since Lost In Translation has such a bad movie gotten such good reviews.. Uninteresting, nasty people. Uninteresting nasty movie.
  100. MickiC.
    Nov 8, 2008
    Had I not been sitting in the middle of a row, I would have walked out. This movie had NO redeeming qualities. Poor cinematography, unattractive characters whose personalities were underdeveloped anyway, simplistic plot line, poor costumes. The best thing about it was the dog, Olive!

1. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    A film whose lightness of touch rides a wave of family conflict to perfectly balance smiles and tears.
    A minor work, but so menaced by distress that the characters take every opportunity to dance the dark away.
  3. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Brimming with energy, elan and the unpredictability of his "Something Wild," Jonathan Demme's triumphant Rachel Getting Married may just lay the wedding film to rest, being such a hard act to follow.