Radio

8.2

1. Jun 16, 2013
    The Worst about Radio that it has the same old elements of a sports drama. It gets very boring and melodramatic from this. A BIG DISAPOINMENT FROM THIS MOVIE.
  2. MikeB.
    Feb 19, 2005
    A story of simple, instinctive human goodness, a stunning example of personally making a difference, largely based on real-life apparently, and compellingly acted. A more complex question might be the role of professional movie critics in this drama as well. Why so negative? Here's my hypothesis: Most professional critics are prosperous, sophisticated individuals who I strongly A story of simple, instinctive human goodness, a stunning example of personally making a difference, largely based on real-life apparently, and compellingly acted. A more complex question might be the role of professional movie critics in this drama as well. Why so negative? Here's my hypothesis: Most professional critics are prosperous, sophisticated individuals who I strongly suspect have never personally gone much out of their way for the disabled or anyone else. The real-life coach in Radio - raised as a southern cracker - actually shames them. Laughably, these gentlemen and ladies offer their politically correct and/or cynical "opinions" in place of genuine contributions based on their own effort. No Radios in their lives, thank you. I'm Canadian but I'm beginning to understand why American blacks so often written that they distrust liberal whites more than conservatives. Expand
  3. CarlW
    Sep 11, 2004
    Absolutely horrendous! African-americans are on the screen far too rarely to be subjected to an image such as the title character. There is NOTHING right in this movie. Gooding's performance is the worst seen in years.
  4. DudleyS.
    May 8, 2004
    This movie is so funny hahaha! : )
  5. RobertA.
    Apr 16, 2004
    That was a good one. ^_^
  6. GregT.
    Feb 2, 2004
    A refreshing, feel good movie. And let's not be apologetic for feel good movies. We need some faith in mankind in these troubled times. Cuba Gooding and Ed Harris were both great in this film. Worth seeing.
  7. CRYSTALJ.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Radio is one of the best movies i have seen in a long time,i would recommend this movie as a must see. A great movie for all ages, Cuba was excellent.
  8. RayK.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Loved it.
  9. DudleyR.
    Dec 6, 2003
    What a wonderful emotional uplifitng and inspiring movie. Cuba should win an Oscar.
  10. Eileen
    Dec 4, 2003
    Nothing new. And emotionally empty.
  11. JustinK.
    Nov 30, 2003
    simply a great all around movie i saw it today and i want to buy it right now.
  12. LaneR.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Simply wonderful with a storyline that touches anyone with a heart. Hollywood needs to turn out more movies like this. A must see.
  13. HowardD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    The two hours went by so fast that it left me wanting for more. Fantastic story with some great acting.
  14. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    One of the most moving films of the year. It had me riveted to the silver screen. Cuba Gooding should be nominated for Best Actor. Don't miss this wonderful piece of filmmaking.
  15. AshleyK.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Definitely a great movie!!! I cried through the whole thing. It really makes you think about life and what it should be about!
  16. AshleyK.
  17. AshleyK.
  18. JaredH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    Loved every minute of it. The critics are nuts to have rated this so poorly. Go see it for yourself and I am sure that you will agree that it is wholesome family entertainment that will keep you riveted to your seat. Excellent in every sense of the word.
    Nov 16, 2003
    A great movie. One like Remember the titans and the rooke. A wonderful family movie, But not for teenagers.
  20. RonaldO.
    Nov 15, 2003
    Loved every minute of it. Could have watched it for another two hours as it was that enjoyable. What were the critics thinking to rate it so low? I go to the movies to be entertained and feel emotion. If you do not feel anything after watching this - you do not have a heart. Must see for the entire family.
  21. SamK.
    Nov 14, 2003
    The critics have been sniffing too much glue. This movie is a joy to behold. Don't miss it.
  22. DavidD.
    Nov 11, 2003
    Any critic who did not like this should be forced to watch Madonna in Swept away twice a day for life. This is one terrific movie that should not be missed.
  23. AnnS.
    Nov 8, 2003
    It was a very great movie and should only have great reviews!
  24. HarryJ.
    Nov 8, 2003
    Just loved it as did my family. I do not understand how the professional critics could be so off the mark. Cuba was magnificent and should garner some serious consideration for an Oscar.
  25. HarryJ.
  26. FredC.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Absolutely loved it. The acting was superb. I could have watched for another 2 hours. Go see it.
  27. BonnieD.
    Nov 6, 2003
    Loved it from beginning to end. Yes, it was not perfect, but if you can look beyond the obvious, the cover up the "had to be there" race issue, the movie has to grab you. A must see film with some great acting.
  28. Terry
    Nov 6, 2003
    Read your comments and you're correct on about everything you say. Yes, race had to be involved and was not depicted in the movie. Having said that, if you had just tried to understand that this was a true story with a special bond between Radio, his adoptive family and eventually the entire town you could have sat back and enjoyed the film. If this movie does move you then you do Read your comments and you're correct on about everything you say. Yes, race had to be involved and was not depicted in the movie. Having said that, if you had just tried to understand that this was a true story with a special bond between Radio, his adoptive family and eventually the entire town you could have sat back and enjoyed the film. If this movie does move you then you do not have any blood runnning through your veins. This is the perfect family movie despite the acknowledged fact that it took place in the south nearly fifty years ago and we all know deep down that race had to be involved. Regardless, Radio and townspeople overcame the obvious to where they are today! Expand
  29. NinjaMafia
    Nov 4, 2003
    Huh Radio....what's wrong with that Radio?(Harry Mason, Silent Hill)I'm sorry I just couldn't resist that. Radio is about a mentally challenged kid who has to face discrimination and what not. I'm going to cut the crap and get right to the chase here. Radio is so overdramatic that it made me cringe. The actors, however, do play their roles pretty well. However, the Huh Radio....what's wrong with that Radio?(Harry Mason, Silent Hill)I'm sorry I just couldn't resist that. Radio is about a mentally challenged kid who has to face discrimination and what not. I'm going to cut the crap and get right to the chase here. Radio is so overdramatic that it made me cringe. The actors, however, do play their roles pretty well. However, the chracters were shallower than (insert metaphor describing something thats shallow here). And my biggest complaint with this movie is how the director tried to get people to understand that Radio was being discriminated because he was mentally challenged, not black.(I'm sorry African American, yeah I know, I'm not politically correct, so sue me) He went even far enough to put a black principal in the school that discriminates against Radio just to show that it is not about his color. I fell really ripped off seeing this movie but it was either this or Good Boy and believe me, I am not in one way interested in good boy. Expand
  30. ChadS.
    Nov 2, 2003
    If you're a cynical person, this is the film for you. There's a potential unintentional laugh every five minutes or so. Cuba "I Am A.M." is pretty good, but like the assistant coach says, "I liked him better when he couldn't speak." Sean Penn was grating too. It's the movie's intention to rebuke a father's claim that Radio isn't a distraction to the If you're a cynical person, this is the film for you. There's a potential unintentional laugh every five minutes or so. Cuba "I Am A.M." is pretty good, but like the assistant coach says, "I liked him better when he couldn't speak." Sean Penn was grating too. It's the movie's intention to rebuke a father's claim that Radio isn't a distraction to the team, but it sure looks like he is. "Radio" has the agenda to show that it's Radio's mental impairment, and not his skin color, that's being discriminated against. Even the principal(Alfre Woodard: brilliant actress and black woman) doesn't want Radio in her school. "Radio" is too self-conscious and precious by showing teammates and townfolks never once explicitly acknowledge their slow acceptance of Radio as indeed being two-fold. Expand
  31. RichardS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. When it was over, I only wished there was another 2 hours to go.
  32. RobertH.
    Nov 1, 2003
    I saw this movie on a word of mouth recommendation. Without a doubt one of the most moving films I have ever seen. If this movie does not move you to tears, then you do not have a heart? This is a movie for the entire family to see. Don't miss it!
  33. JimB.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Best movie in years! Finally a family movie that moms, dads and kids can watch and enjoy.
  34. N8daGR8
    Oct 30, 2003
    I wonder how many of the reviewers have worked with people with developmental disabilities? Maybe if more had, they might change their tune about Gooding's performance. It is a typical Hollywood film from beginning to end, but the acting deserves more credit than it has received. Rich and Smith took a real person and applied the Hollywood recipe of dumbed down Greek tragedy to his I wonder how many of the reviewers have worked with people with developmental disabilities? Maybe if more had, they might change their tune about Gooding's performance. It is a typical Hollywood film from beginning to end, but the acting deserves more credit than it has received. Rich and Smith took a real person and applied the Hollywood recipe of dumbed down Greek tragedy to his life story. Definitely an enjoyable film, but not one that should be on your list as a must see. Expand
  35. TarmaR.III
    Oct 30, 2003
    Radio is just the same as always:You will never learn anything about the story at all.
  36. AlanS.
    Oct 28, 2003
    One of the most enjoyable movies that I have seen in years. When it ended I was disappointed as I could have watched another 2 hours of it as it was that good. Don't let the reviews sway you. See it for yourself and enjoy.
  37. Eric
    Oct 26, 2003
    Total pap, pure melodrama, swelling music, tear-jerking death, meager story.
  38. JamesI.
    Oct 26, 2003
    It was the best movie I have seen this year. Cuba Gooding should be nominated for a academy award.It is a very uplifting movie.
  39. RayK.
    Oct 24, 2003
    Loved it.
  40. RadioRaheem
    Oct 24, 2003
    It ain't no "Brian's Song"...

1. The cast, which includes Alfre Woodard and Debra Winger, manages to give thoughtful performances that salvage the film's integrity.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    "Inspired by a true story" it may be, but inspired it's not.
    Anyone who already knows better than to taunt the disabled, or former Oscar winners, should probably give it a pass.