8.5

1. Jul 10, 2011
    This movie SUCKED!! I'm sorry I'm totally going against the crowd on this one. It's boring & long and it felt like a chore watching it. I really wanted to like it. I really tried, but you know what if a movie is really that good (according to critics)why should you try to like it? Man I freakin hate this movie. ALL boxing movies are better than this crap Rocky 1-6, Million Dollar Baby, and The Fighter are MUCH better. I know why the critics love this movie because it's bold and so vastly different from any other film. You know what that's very true. It is bold and vastly different, but in a VERY BAD way. (semi-spoiler) It's literally just about a douchebag boxer. He doesn't go though a change or journey or anything it just shows his life. He beats his brother & wife. He cusses alot. He kisses an underage girl(well she really didn't look underage) and the movie literally just ends in a random spot. I don't even care about the real story now because he was such a douche.However, he wasn't like an awesome villain douche or anything. It's not like he was the Joker,Hannibal Lecture, or Darth Vader. He was simply a douche that I didn't care about, and wasn't interested in. This movies overrated and people are just saying it's a masterpiece to follow the trend. Well F**k that. Eff this movie and Eff what the critics say. I respect peoples opinions, and if you like this movie fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just don't annoy me about it to watch it because I did and it was a terrible waste of my time. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2010
    Yet another vastly overrated "classic". The whole time Lamotta is just being a meathead with a terrible temper. I'm a huge De Niro and Scorsese fan (Goodfellas, Casino), and that's why I gave it the 3, but I just don't get why people overhype this film so much? I will say this though, De Niro does a great job of making you hate Lamotta.
  3. Jul 19, 2014
    Raging bull is an overrated film that deserves appreciation for its stylish technique .however it is uninteresting, unengaging and uninvolving.There is absolutely no character we relate to. In the end , it is all about style , photography and editing but no substance.

1. Reviewed by: Michael Bertin
    The performances are riveting and the visuals are stunning. The boxing sequences are brutally realistic - there are no crappy Rocky theatrics here - and the humanity oozes out of every scene.
    As LaMotta, Robert De Niro gives a blank, soulless performance; there's so little of depth or urgency coming from him that he's impossible to despise, or forgive, in any but the most superficial way.
    The most painful and heartrending portrait of jealousy in the cinema--an "Othello'' for our times.