8.5

1. Jul 19, 2014
    Raging bull is an overrated film that deserves appreciation for its stylish technique .however it is uninteresting, unengaging and uninvolving.There is absolutely no character we relate to. In the end , it is all about style , photography and editing but no substance.
  2. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Raging Bull was not what I expected. Although it was not what I expected, it was still a very good film, and if I did expect what it was correctly, I'd probably rate it a 10, but since it disappointed me, I rated it an 8.
  3. Jun 12, 2014
    Raging Bull is a film which talks about the consequences of one man's jealousy. Although he may have been a winner in the boxing ring, he was a loser at everything else. It's simple but extremely powerful. Robert DeNiro's performance as Jake La Motta is staggering, and Scorsese's ability to capture his life in film is mind boggling. People can argue that this might be the greatest American film ever made. There's not too much one can say to fight that argument Expand
  4. May 23, 2014
    I just loved this movie. All the violence and suspense. This movie has great cinematography and editing. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci gave great performances. Raging Bull is everything you want in a movie.
  5. May 2, 2014
    Raging Bull is Martin Scorsese's magnum opus that surpasses both Taxi Driver and Goodfellas and is without doubt one of the top five American films ever made. A film that contains probably the greatest performance of all time by an actor and the fight scenes are simply exhilarating to watch. What is perhaps even more astonishing is that Scorsese knew nothing about boxing which is probably why the majority of this film takes place outside of the ring than inside it.

Easily the greatest film of the 1980s.
  6. Apr 22, 2014
    I have watched and re-watched Raging Bull many times. And everytime I do, I walk away from the film wondering why it's held in such high regard. Then I convince myself that I must be missing something and I go back watch it again. Rinse repeat. I love Scorsese and DeNiro but for whatever reason, Raging Bull feels like a kitchen sink drama with boxing sequences. Maybe this film will forever be a mystery to me. Oh well... Expand
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    Raging Bull isn't Scorcese's best work, not by far. Considering this was his fifth feature film, it wasn't bad, but for a director like Scorcese we know he can push the limits. But Raging Bull just stayed in the sidelines and never fully got in the ring.
  8. Jan 20, 2014
    Scorsese and De Niro amaze us again with this superb picture. It captures La Motta's personality almost too well and it's filmed in glorious black and white. Both the director and the actor are at the top of their games in this one.
  9. Jan 10, 2014
    Brilliantly acted and directed as expected, but it felt like something was missing. I can tell why this one is a classic, but there was something off about this, which bugged me a bit, but not a ton. One of the best sports films for sure and definitely deserving of the praise it has received.
  10. Dec 14, 2013
    Raging Bull is not so much about boxers as it is about the everyday life of them. In this case, Jake LaMotta is an insecure piteous brute of a man who knows no better. He does not inspire admiration as athletes in other sports might. The story is not about someone getting somewhere, but about the experience itself, with all the highs and lows, and the final decline.

The plot follows two
    brothers as they see good and bad times together as the elder LaMotta challenges this boxer and that during the 1940s. The Mafia who runs the show always seems to have a hand in everything and keep the belt out of his grasp. Jake's obsessive behaviour toward his wife Vickie also makes up the major part of the plot. Her every gesture and remark is taken out of context and exaggerated beyond reason.

Robert De Niro tackles yet another complicated character for his friend Scorsese. Jake is a whack job who aims big but doesn't know how to present himself. Joey LaMotta (Joe Pesci), Jake's brother, is his manager. He is also short on temper but at least he's sane enough to recognize the importance of keeping up appearances and does his best to keep his brother's public image intact. Joe Pesci does a decent job portraying him as a tentative over-shadowed little brother who has accepted his place and goes along with the occasional bullying until it's too much.

Jake never seems to fully accept his good fortune of getting it on with his sweetheart Vickie (Cathy Moriarty), who he suspects of cheating at every turn. This suspicion threatens everything in his life. At first you might feel sorry for what he has to go through but as his family begins to suffer by his maniac outbursts, you can't help but be sympathetic to everyone but Jake.

Vickie seems without emotion at first but as time passes some hints of her humanness pass through the filter. Moriarty does a splendid job in making her a sympathetic character even in the middle of the endless hints at her infidelity. She plays her with a laid-back, subtle approach, and feels plastic at times until she shows her quirks occasionally. I admired her greatly, and felt like if a woman carried herself like this, she is bound to have her man, or men in general, follow her around like puppies.

Shot in black and white, the picture evokes a time when this was the standard. All the details to bring the 40s to life are captured perfectly_ the bars, clubs, cars, dresses and so on. The cinematography was a stroke of genius.

Raging Bull is not a sports drama. Actually, after the first few fights are shown, seldom is time spent inside the ring. We witness more of Jake's life outside in the world, where he is not hidden under a guise and has to fend for himself. The movie never attempts to explain how Jake became like he did. Scorsese trusts us to derive our own meanings. He just shows us the scenes of violence, love, family and then moves on to the next scene. His touch is light and imperceptible, yet his signature is all over it.

But unlike his other movies where everything sort of explains itself, I feel like this lacked the cohesiveness of his other works. Scorsese was successful in portraying the experiences of sudden fame and wealth and its effects but it was too vague for me to feel anything. Apart from a few scenes between the brothers which brought me close to tears, other times I just didn't feel anything at all.

Raging Bull may be more liked than Taxi Driver, but in my opinion it was too ambitious and failed at some level. Goodfellas is where Scorsese eventually succeeded in getting everything in precisely the right amount as they are needed to make a film work. Whether the movie worked perfectly or not is immaterial in the wake of De Niro's performance, and this movie should be watched just for that.The Academy finally recognized his talent and commitment and awarded him the Oscar for Best Actor.
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    The epic sports drama. Martin Scorsese's magnum opus, and Robert De Niro's as well. His performance is starkly authentic and amusing and all of the positive aspects of an actor put together. 'Ordinary People' is completely overrated.
  12. Jun 12, 2013
    This is my favorite Martin Scorsese film, along with "Goodfellas". Robert De Niro delivered a powerful performance of real life middleweight boxer Jake LaMotta. Whoever doesn't like this film has problems.
  13. Nov 26, 2012
    One of the finest films of it's decade or any decade. Martin Scorsese painted not only a pretty picture but a beautiful and profound one as well. When I see this movie my breath is taken by the masterful acting ability of the great Robert De Niro. This is sure to make you hate but pitty him at the same time. Breathtaking just pure genius.
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    Raging Bull is the best boxing movie ever made, even better than 'Rocky.' I do; however, use the term 'boxing movie' loosely, as both 'Raging Bull' and 'Rocky' are character studies.
  15. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  16. Aug 4, 2012
    Wonderful movie, an absolute classic. I can't quite give it a ten (that score is reserved for the absolute masterpieces), but it comes close, very close. De Niro and Pesci are mesmeric, beautiful and flawless performances that captivate and enthral from the first moment to the last. This should be seen by everybody, its about as good as modern film making gets.
  17. Jul 8, 2012
    A great movie, directed to the point of perfection, the acting was great and the movie felt very real to me, the one problem i had was not with the directing or acting, but with the production. The black and white hurt my eyes and made it hard to tell what was what, but it is a movie I recommend to anyone asking
  18. Apr 1, 2012
    A stunning film that you will rediscover every time you see it. Robert de Niro also gives the best performance of his career. The fight scenes in the film are the best boxing scenes of any film.
  19. Jul 10, 2011
    This movie SUCKED!! I'm sorry I'm totally going against the crowd on this one. It's boring & long and it felt like a chore watching it. I really wanted to like it. I really tried, but you know what if a movie is really that good (according to critics)why should you try to like it? Man I freakin hate this movie. ALL boxing movies are better than this crap Rocky 1-6, Million Dollar Baby, and The Fighter are MUCH better. I know why the critics love this movie because it's bold and so vastly different from any other film. You know what that's very true. It is bold and vastly different, but in a VERY BAD way. (semi-spoiler) It's literally just about a douchebag boxer. He doesn't go though a change or journey or anything it just shows his life. He beats his brother & wife. He cusses alot. He kisses an underage girl(well she really didn't look underage) and the movie literally just ends in a random spot. I don't even care about the real story now because he was such a douche.However, he wasn't like an awesome villain douche or anything. It's not like he was the Joker,Hannibal Lecture, or Darth Vader. He was simply a douche that I didn't care about, and wasn't interested in. This movies overrated and people are just saying it's a masterpiece to follow the trend. Well F**k that. Eff this movie and Eff what the critics say. I respect peoples opinions, and if you like this movie fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just don't annoy me about it to watch it because I did and it was a terrible waste of my time. Expand
  20. Jun 15, 2011
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made starred by the great Robert De Niro....all the quotes used in this movie are absolutely fantastic! Joe Pesci's acting was perfect....love this quote : 'if u win, u win, if u lose, u still win!'
  21. May 24, 2011
    Intense Movie, brilliant De Niro, but sometimes story writing is a bit weak................................................150 characters, there you go
  22. Mar 15, 2011
    One of the all time greatest movies. I can't find a goddamn thing that's wrong with this. I'll say that this is better than "Goodfellas" or "Taxi Driver"
  23. Nov 8, 2010
    Yet another vastly overrated "classic". The whole time Lamotta is just being a meathead with a terrible temper. I'm a huge De Niro and Scorsese fan (Goodfellas, Casino), and that's why I gave it the 3, but I just don't get why people overhype this film so much? I will say this though, De Niro does a great job of making you hate Lamotta.
  24. Oct 26, 2010
    Fantastic acting and a interesting story about jake lomatta a boxer from the old days of boxing . its a rise and demise story from lomaata's beginings to his fall . the guy certanly led a interesting life and deniro and peci really bring thoose charicters to life . the black and white look to the film really gives it that 50's era feel to it. if you like films based on true storys this is deffinitly a must see. Expand
  25. Aug 24, 2010
    Martin Scorsese's biopic of boxing champion Jake La Motta.
    Robert De Niro is outstanding playing the insecure, paranoid & not particularly pleasant La Motta. With the later scenes after La Motta had retired, it's hard to believe this is still De Niro playing the same character as the transformation is so good.
    Joe Pesci is very good for his portrayal of Joey La Motta, Jake's brother.
    The
    fantastic music is also definitely worth an extra point for the great way in which it was used. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Michael Bertin
    The performances are riveting and the visuals are stunning. The boxing sequences are brutally realistic - there are no crappy Rocky theatrics here - and the humanity oozes out of every scene.
    As LaMotta, Robert De Niro gives a blank, soulless performance; there's so little of depth or urgency coming from him that he's impossible to despise, or forgive, in any but the most superficial way.
    The most painful and heartrending portrait of jealousy in the cinema--an "Othello'' for our times.