9.0

1. Aug 28, 2012
    Indiana Jones, the character responsible for making archaeology the most exciting and sought for career ever is at best found in his first and inarguably greatest classic. Raider's of the lost Ark was one of a number of classic brought to the screen in the 1980's, other notable masterpieces were time travel saga the Back to the Future trilogy, the original Terminator and the Empire StrikesIndiana Jones, the character responsible for making archaeology the most exciting and sought for career ever is at best found in his first and inarguably greatest classic. Raider's of the lost Ark was one of a number of classic brought to the screen in the 1980's, other notable masterpieces were time travel saga the Back to the Future trilogy, the original Terminator and the Empire Strikes Back, and Spielberg's action adventure near enough trumps them all.
    Set in the backdrop of mid 1930's, where the second world war is on the verge, the film begins in a middle eastern jungle, Indy is venturing for a golden idol, he begins with three mercenaries, the whip crashes and five minutes later, he's running from a boulder having just set off the booby trap that would encave the entire temple. Five minutes in and one of the film's, of not one of cinema's most iconic scenes has rolled its way on to the screen, surely it can't get better?
    It does, watch on.
    Steven Spielberg is on top form in this department, providing camera work and action set pieces galore, scripted wonderfully by 80's superman Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back.) But it's Harrison Ford who takes the cake as arguably the greatest (super)hero in cinema history, running from set piece to set piece whilst driving his story with impossibly cool suave and underlying moral dilemma. It's a film that, when first thought about ($20m globe trotting actioner starring Han Solo?) should not be good, bar even watchable, but the dream team of Lucas, Spielberg, Kasdan and Ford make it some of the most exciting, visually arresting adventure pics in creation. A must watch.
  2. Sep 24, 2011
    "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a adventurous movie that plays out like a TV series, but one with a powerful script, cast, and story. Its like watching the best moments of TV in one cool movie.
  3. May 5, 2011
    This film is "The" Adventure film and an example of how to make a good blockbuster flick. Entertaining as hell with memorable action scenes, solid acting and a well told story. Absolute joyride from beginning to end.
  4. Jan 13, 2012
    I FINALLY got round to watching this movie. It was great but I didn't really have as much fun as when I did while watching the Temple Of Doom. It's still a great movie and I'm glad I watched it.
  5. Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks to its unforgettable characters, excellent story, breathtaking action, great cinematography, and a perfect score from John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the all time classic action movies!
  6. Jan 29, 2013
    Raiders of the Lost of Ark is a masterpiece. It has some of the most famous scenes in move history from the beginning to the end. It is adventure like no other.
  7. Jul 25, 2011
    I saw the movie first when I was 15. Back then, I thought it was spectacular. Now, when I watch it, I think it is extremely cheesy, with really bad dialogue, and with almost every scene looking so staged that it is unreal. You can almost see somebody yelling 'Action' and then the awful action sequence starts. Not an ounce of excitement, it looks just really ridiculous. The Germans are madeI saw the movie first when I was 15. Back then, I thought it was spectacular. Now, when I watch it, I think it is extremely cheesy, with really bad dialogue, and with almost every scene looking so staged that it is unreal. You can almost see somebody yelling 'Action' and then the awful action sequence starts. Not an ounce of excitement, it looks just really ridiculous. The Germans are made look so dumb and stereotyped, it is just embarrassing. BAD FILMMAKING ! I guess it was a learning experience for Spielberg... Expand
  8. Mar 28, 2011
    Awesome movie that introduced Harrison Ford's most iconic role (sorry Han Solo fans). Only complaint I had was because of the way the Ark of the Covenant was portrayed, but everything else was great!
  9. Nov 1, 2010
    It doesn't have the same depth as Star Wars, but Harrison Ford's performance is the only saving grace in this entertaining adventure film.
  10. Nov 20, 2011
    I really liked it. Thought it was a good adventure film that established Harrison Ford as the go to guy for any action film. This is a must watch for anyone.
  11. Dec 16, 2010
    10yrs old watching this in the movie theater.... nothing better. Just watched it again the other night and I still like it very much... still a 9 for me 30 some yrs later :)
  12. Mar 4, 2011
    Very good story and lots of great action. All the acting was done very well. This was the best of the series.
  13. Apr 26, 2011
    Let me start by saying that this was one of the most excellent films of the 80s. Exciting, fast-paced, and a masterpiece itself. The debt that Harrison Ford brings to his character is outstanding, and nothing made his carreer lift off as well as this. This film is perfect in many ways, besides the dialogue. but for right now, I'll start with the story. The idea of finding the Lost Ark isLet me start by saying that this was one of the most excellent films of the 80s. Exciting, fast-paced, and a masterpiece itself. The debt that Harrison Ford brings to his character is outstanding, and nothing made his carreer lift off as well as this. This film is perfect in many ways, besides the dialogue. but for right now, I'll start with the story. The idea of finding the Lost Ark is not very original, for it was attempted many times in real life. But the fact that an archeoligist, inside a Nazi camp, with plenty of back-stabbers, and the sexiest, most beatiful women he'll ever meet AND trying to find the lost ark. Now thats original. Then the acting in this film is pure goodness. Sadly, Harrison Ford wasw robbed of a nomination-yes, not an award, but a NOMINATION- and thats just sad for the Academy. The acting by lead actress Karen Allen isnt as good as I hoped, but still a passing grade. Which is just one of the reasons why I gave this film an 8, not an expected 10, like most people. So, acting is good. Then comes the cinematagrophy. Wow. Next is the sound and soundtrack. This main theme might have been one of the best ever. Its one of the most recognizable, and it is such a pity that it didn't win the Academy Award. John Williams seemed to have put in a ton of effort into building this soundtrack, and it paid off. Never has a main theme been more enjoyable to listen to, other than Star War's and Pirates of the Carribean's. It will live on not in just movie history, but musical history, as well. Then I move on to the special effects. The special effects in this film were very gratifying, especially in the 80s. When I saw this film, I could've sworn it wasn't a movie from the 20th century. But, as usual, the wonders if film tricked me again. What great effects and what genuine editing. It's all simply marvelous. But then I move on to what mainly gave this movie an 8. The dialogue. Some of the dialogue in this film was to much to handle, and I really couldn't. When the dialogue was good, it was alright, but when it was bad, it was horrible. And most of the time it was bad. "You can't do this to me, I'm an AMERICAN," was one of the most memorable quotes. Yes, most memorable. But I wont complain anymore, because all in all, this film is as adventure films get. In the end, I give it a deserving 8/10. Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2012
    'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is THE shining example of a brilliant action/adventure blockbuster movie. It's by far my all-time favorite Spielberg film, and worthy of all praise it gets. I've seen all the Indy movies, and this one is definitely the best! I'd rank it among the best Steven Spielberg movies ever (and I'm not the only one): http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-steven-spielberg-movies/lons
  15. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    Dated though it's special effects may be, Raiders is still a very entertaining thriller with one of the most recognizable characters in film history along with one of the most spontaneously funny fight scenes ever (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it involves a gun and a knife).
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    The film is so funny, it has a good soundtrack, the characters are funny that is what makes the movie so funny, the effects are good and creepy sometimes, it has good action, one of the best of that genre, and the only one in being nominated in the Best Picture Category. One of the best films made by Steven Spielberg.
  17. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was just about what I expected in some ways but unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype in others. First with the good stuff, it was exactly what I thought in terms of actions sequences, whip cracks, and archeological hunts. Those things were the strong elements of the film in my opinion. There were also plenty of funny scenes and the effects, while terrible in today'sThis movie was just about what I expected in some ways but unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype in others. First with the good stuff, it was exactly what I thought in terms of actions sequences, whip cracks, and archeological hunts. Those things were the strong elements of the film in my opinion. There were also plenty of funny scenes and the effects, while terrible in today's standards, were pretty darn good for a 30+ year-old film. The reason I rated this movie so low, however, is for the few negative parts. Things like the fact that the Indiana Jones character might be the dumbest protagonist in action film history for example. Or the corny scenes that mar so many films of that era. I honestly don't know what people were thinking back then to enjoy such tomfoolery. The other things that hurt the film weren't as major. The mystical/supernatural element was unfortunate but that's more of a personal thing. I tend to zone out when ridiculous stuff comes on the screen in supposedly realistic settings. The acting also wasn't great but it wasn't all that bad either. I was disappointed though in the lack of charisma from Harrison Ford during the movie. The same guy who managed to turn a douche bag smuggler into a fan favorite didn't have much opportunity to do the same here. I mainly blame the writing and directing. Still, the movie was enjoyable and I look forward to seeing the next two being that I've heard the series gets substantially better after the first one. Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    Brilliantly crafted with moving characters, delightfully evil antagonists, Raiders of the Lost Ark certain to hark up nostalgia of early black-and-white escapist films.
  19. Feb 23, 2012
    A stone cold classic. Anyone who says otherwise must not like old school movies. Indiana Jones was a big influence on my youthful imagination. Spielberg and Lucas got it right with this first film in the series.
  20. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. Such a great adventure, that's just a masterpiece. Acting is great. Harrison ford was outstanding. Score is phenomenal. The classic lost ark music is just fun to listen, and overall it's just great to listen to. Story is also really good. Action sequences are great. Really well made. Overall, this is an outstanding movie. You should see this movie. It'llFirst off, this is a 10 out of 10. Such a great adventure, that's just a masterpiece. Acting is great. Harrison ford was outstanding. Score is phenomenal. The classic lost ark music is just fun to listen, and overall it's just great to listen to. Story is also really good. Action sequences are great. Really well made. Overall, this is an outstanding movie. You should see this movie. It'll be a mistake if you don't see it. Expand
  21. Mar 28, 2012
    This movie is a true classic, really entertaining, very funny and some really brilliant action scenes, Harrison Ford is excellent in it, bringing loads of swagger to the role, easily an excellent movies that kicked off one of the best movies franchises there is.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    It's a fun adventure. It's creepy and dark in places where it needs to be, it's humorous when it needs to be - the film, in general, knows when to deliver successful thrills.
  23. Nov 15, 2012
    To express all the highs and lows of cinema, the adventure and the romance, the action and the peril, Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the most significant films ever made.
  24. Jul 12, 2012
    Simply the greatest adventure movie ever made. Harrison Ford does great in the title role and the rest of the cast is top tier, as well. Raiders also fascinates me with its interesting back story about the Ark of the Covenant.
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    One of the best movies of all time. This is a classic. It did everything right. When it was released it was new and different. It was action-packed and suspenseful right from the beginning and has lots of humorous parts thrown in, lots of scary parts too. Another movie with an amazing musical score by John Williams, the music is amazing in this movie! I love the style of the way it wasOne of the best movies of all time. This is a classic. It did everything right. When it was released it was new and different. It was action-packed and suspenseful right from the beginning and has lots of humorous parts thrown in, lots of scary parts too. Another movie with an amazing musical score by John Williams, the music is amazing in this movie! I love the style of the way it was filmed, my girlfriend who is an art major told me the name for it but I forget, anyway it is filmed the way really old movies used to be filmed which looks way better than the typical Hollywood film you see today. Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2012
    Great acting, script, plot, and an overall treat to watch! Regard this movie as a high quality classic! Great movie! Simply, one of the best. If you don't like this movie, then there is something wrong with you, I'm afraid.
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    An obvious classic, "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" is a splendid showcase of stellar storytelling, excellent imagery, and a healthy action. Truly impossible to forget.
  28. Dec 28, 2012
    In 1981, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas came together for a film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and thus brought to the world what would quickly become an immortal new action hero, Indiana Jones, played with irrepressible charisma and charm by Harrison Ford. Made in the spirit of the old movie adventure serials, we follow Henry "Indiana" Jones, professor of archaelogy and 'obtainerIn 1981, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas came together for a film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and thus brought to the world what would quickly become an immortal new action hero, Indiana Jones, played with irrepressible charisma and charm by Harrison Ford. Made in the spirit of the old movie adventure serials, we follow Henry "Indiana" Jones, professor of archaelogy and 'obtainer of rare antiquities', as he is asked by the government to locate the biblical Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis, who are also searching for it to unleash its theological powers. And what else is there to say? This is a classic adventure film, full of memorable characters, fantastic action scenes, drama, humor and an iconic music score. Certainly a top-tier movie from "top men" in the business. Expand
  29. Dec 8, 2013
    This is primarily an action movie, and it does its job of thrilling us with brilliant action sequences one after the other more than satisfactorily. Harrison Ford plays Dr. Indiana Jones, a professor of archaeology at an unnamed university. Don't let his profession fool you. In his spare time, he likes to go on prolonged hunts for antiquities. This hobby of his takes him from South AmericaThis is primarily an action movie, and it does its job of thrilling us with brilliant action sequences one after the other more than satisfactorily. Harrison Ford plays Dr. Indiana Jones, a professor of archaeology at an unnamed university. Don't let his profession fool you. In his spare time, he likes to go on prolonged hunts for antiquities. This hobby of his takes him from South America to Nepal to Egypt.

He finds trouble everywhere he goes, or trouble finds him. Indy is not interested in riches, but seeks to hand over each discovery he can to the museum. But Belloq, his nemesis, seems always to be one step ahead of him, and he has powerful friends who then have more friends of themselves, always among the local population. Shooting frequently breaks out wherever Indy goes, buildings explode, henchmen die and so on.

The main plot follows Indiana Jones on the search for the lost Ark, which the Nazis are digging for with the help of Belloq. An object that is a key toward finding it is with Marion, Indy's past love interest. Circumstances force them to go on the search together, but they must do this before the Nazis, who would stop at nothing to bring the Ark to Berlin for the Fuhrer, to use as a weapon.

The pacing was too fast at times and little time was left to develop the mythology and the importance of the Ark. We were expected to come into the film with a crash course on it. What the movie excels at is not making us Ark enthusiasts, but letting us glimpse what most treasure hunts must feel like to the people who pursue this course of action.

All the action might have bored an average viewer if not for the quirky lines that crack you up, uttered by the characters in the face of impending death. Indy doesn't seem to believe for one moment that all those bullets flying over his head could really hit him. Often times, he uses his whip to slash at opponents and as a fulcrum to propel himself forward or lower himself or hold onto something. It serves nearly unlimited purposes.

Set in 1936, the movie captures the look of the time as well as any other movie could. We have the cars, motorcycles, planes; and the dresses and uniforms and weapons. All this combines to create a very convincing world in which we absorb instantly.

The movie has more than its share of explosions, car chases, shooting, fist-fighting and all that. You hardly ever pause to reflect, or become bored for that matter. You never learn how the Nazis find out which ship was Indiana travelling in. All this is good, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but what I couldn't digest was the ending. It isn't necessarily bad in any way. Actually it failed to make any kind of impact on me. It kind of fizzled out. I feel like it should have held true to the joyride which came before it. Go out with a blast, not with a fizzle. Surely greats like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg could have done better. It was too deus ex machina. I found it anticlimactic, and it lessened the effect the movie had on me until then.

Hailed as a great movie by many critics and audience alike, I cannot deny that I enjoyed the ride. But I can't concur in good conscience that this movie was great in light of the ending of the movie, though I will be fair and rate it as it deserves.
  30. May 3, 2013
    Now I see where 'The Mummy' got a lot of ideas for their reboot series. It's a shame it took me so long to finally start the Indiana Jones films because after watching this one I can tell I'm really going to enjoy them! Harrison Ford is great as the title character and is joined by a talented cast. It probably starts off a lot better than it ends up as they never really went back to theNow I see where 'The Mummy' got a lot of ideas for their reboot series. It's a shame it took me so long to finally start the Indiana Jones films because after watching this one I can tell I'm really going to enjoy them! Harrison Ford is great as the title character and is joined by a talented cast. It probably starts off a lot better than it ends up as they never really went back to the likes of that opening scene, but overall an entertaining film and a classic you must-see! Expand

1. Harrison Ford gave one of his most memorable performances as Indiana Jones, a dashing Saturday matinee idol for the modern age.
    Travels fast and straight down a linear plot, and the ceaseless rush quickly becomes monotonous.
    Plays like an anthology of the best parts from all the Saturday matinee serials ever made.