Rango

7.6

1. Mar 9, 2011
    ILM's first foray into animation features some dazzling visual effects, but they got the rest pretty wrong. A city chameleon (voiced by Johnny Depp) ends up in the desert, where he becomes the de facto sheriff of a dusty town in habited by an assortment of scuzzy fauna. There's an unexplained water shortage and the movie in a quest for the truth. This isn't a kids movie: there's too muchILM's first foray into animation features some dazzling visual effects, but they got the rest pretty wrong. A city chameleon (voiced by Johnny Depp) ends up in the desert, where he becomes the de facto sheriff of a dusty town in habited by an assortment of scuzzy fauna. There's an unexplained water shortage and the movie in a quest for the truth. This isn't a kids movie: there's too much taking and not enough cute characters or zany fun. This isn't an adults' film: it's not smart enough. There is some action and humor, but not enough to compensate for the lack of creative storytelling. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2011
    Rango is the best looking film I have ever seen. This movie puts ILM at the top in terms of graphical detail, modeling, special effects and animation. BUT where it falls down is in the story department. There is absolutely no originality, with the plot being entirely predictable after the opening 20 minutes. Overall i would still recommend seeing this movie, just wait till it comes out onRango is the best looking film I have ever seen. This movie puts ILM at the top in terms of graphical detail, modeling, special effects and animation. BUT where it falls down is in the story department. There is absolutely no originality, with the plot being entirely predictable after the opening 20 minutes. Overall i would still recommend seeing this movie, just wait till it comes out on Blu-ray and watch it in HD to get a taste of the visual spectacle that is Rango. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    I am partial to Pixar, but this was nice and cute. Did Johnny Depp help? I guess getting people to see it, but anyone could of voiced Rango. Pixar is just better at this medium.
  4. Nov 18, 2011
    The movie was good but certainly not what I was expecting to see. I was expecting a comedy but it turned out to be an action film. Yeah, a full on action film. So, if you're expecting to watch a funny comedy film with your kids or whatsoever, - this isn't the right choice. Some may even consider it scary.
  5. Mar 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tortured universe.

I hated all of the characters, and Rango most of all. He's a pretentious, obnoxious, annoying, stupid character.

Who is the audience supposed to identify with? The female Gecko? It's just too bad she isn't the main character, and doesn't get more screen time.

The CG is insanely good, the detail in each animal is incredible and their animations are believable and fluid, it's 1,000 times more impressive than Toy Story 3.

The environment these characters inhabit, however, is far less impressive : brown, bland, boring, and hopeless, I felt despair just watching the animals carry out their doomed existence.

The film depressed me. I have no idea what the snake is supposed to do now that he's had a change of heart, what's the poor bastard going to eat?

The Turtle Villain is a great Franklin Dealanor Roosevelt or Barrack Obama type villian, and I felt myself Identifying with this character the most, as he too hated everyone else in town.
  6. Nov 19, 2011
    I fell like this movie misses any kind of audience, it's not one for kids for it's language, killing, and other controversial things, but also not one for older audiences because of it's juvenile sense of humor, it's starts off slow but picks up later but I was never really invested in it, I never cared about the characters or they're fates, and I feel the movie adds some stuff I'd justI fell like this movie misses any kind of audience, it's not one for kids for it's language, killing, and other controversial things, but also not one for older audiences because of it's juvenile sense of humor, it's starts off slow but picks up later but I was never really invested in it, I never cared about the characters or they're fates, and I feel the movie adds some stuff I'd just rather not see touched on in the movies I watch, it's not fun, funny, or really enjoyable, and I don't think it really knows what it wants to be, so this is one you can pass on. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2011
    It is like an average movie its little bit boring the jokes are also very dull. It is good to watch it once or twice the max. A very simple topic of the film the desert creatures are fighting for water and going on a stupid adventure. I didn't expected an average movie from Johnny Depp.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    It`s pretty interesting! I say it`s a decent movie since it`s "unique", but it is kind of slow. Also the start really scared me, and made me think it might be worst then it was.
  9. Apr 3, 2011
    Bland passable fair. It's not crap butit's not epic either. It's just there and it will entertain you... mostly. You will wait a while between laughs but you won't walk out of the theater out of outright boredom. It's fine but completely forgettable.
  10. Mar 5, 2011
    I fell asleep for a few minutes in the middle. What's that say about it. I thought it was pretentious and self important. Some adult humor sprinkled in to give us a reason to hang out while the kids enjoy it.
  11. Jun 5, 2011
    After watching this movie I felt compelled to write a review. Im a 3D artist, so I could appreciate the incredible work gone into the animation, but if its doing its job right, you're supposed to forget about that and just be engrossed by the story. Also, there is only so much that you can play with scale before you start to lose all grip on any form of stability with the characters. WithAfter watching this movie I felt compelled to write a review. Im a 3D artist, so I could appreciate the incredible work gone into the animation, but if its doing its job right, you're supposed to forget about that and just be engrossed by the story. Also, there is only so much that you can play with scale before you start to lose all grip on any form of stability with the characters. With such a realistic visual quality, I just don't think you can sit a fox next to a chameleon in the same shot and have them the same height when there are much more accurately sized humans, birds and snakes in the film. All in all, I think its a visually stunning piece of work, let down by a flawed story, poor script and unappealing characters. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2013
    The beginning and end of this movie are the only parts worth watching. Those are the parts when you figure out the true meaning of the story. The middle is unbearable. If the town could turn cliches into water, the movie would end early in a much-needed torrential rain. I almost stopped watching. Usually cliches don't bother me so much, but none of the characters were likable. IThe beginning and end of this movie are the only parts worth watching. Those are the parts when you figure out the true meaning of the story. The middle is unbearable. If the town could turn cliches into water, the movie would end early in a much-needed torrential rain. I almost stopped watching. Usually cliches don't bother me so much, but none of the characters were likable. I couldn't hold on to anything worthwhile. If you watch this movie, just watch the first and last 15 minutes, and you'll have seen a decent short animated film. Expand
  13. BKM
    Aug 15, 2011
    Rango is certainly different than most of the other computer animated films out there and it is visually rich as wel. But the story never fully engaged me. I was always aware that I was watching a movie instead of being swept up in the story. Combine that with an undeniable sense of smugness resulting from the film's "not as funny as it thinks it is" brand of humor and the end result isRango is certainly different than most of the other computer animated films out there and it is visually rich as wel. But the story never fully engaged me. I was always aware that I was watching a movie instead of being swept up in the story. Combine that with an undeniable sense of smugness resulting from the film's "not as funny as it thinks it is" brand of humor and the end result is an astonishingly dull creation. Expand
  14. Mar 10, 2011
    Let me get the good stuff out of the way first. This was a beautiful movie, visually. Industrial Light & Magic has given Pixar Animation a run for it's money. In some ways, the visual beauty of this film surpasses anything that Pixar has ever produce. The humor is indeed quite dry, which is right up my alley. And there were some times where I genuinely laughed out loud and enjoyed myself.Let me get the good stuff out of the way first. This was a beautiful movie, visually. Industrial Light & Magic has given Pixar Animation a run for it's money. In some ways, the visual beauty of this film surpasses anything that Pixar has ever produce. The humor is indeed quite dry, which is right up my alley. And there were some times where I genuinely laughed out loud and enjoyed myself. These are the good things; on to the bad.
    This is not a kid's film. It doesn't matter that it's being promoted as one. It doesn't matter that the trailers before the movie were all kid's films. This isn't one of them.
    As several others have commented, the language is borderline atrocious, especially compared to other animated films. There are some very heavy themes in this film. There are scenes of intense violence, compared to other animated films. There are scenes of the protagonist's "mystical revelations" that will go right over your child's head. In fact, trying to wrap your mind around this film will only result in a headache, as it is designed to make the viewer search for some kind of meaning, when there is none. There are MANY occult references in the film. References that only those adept to spotting them will notice. Meanwhile, the rest of the audience (esp. the kids) will soak it up subconsciously without ever noticing. There are vague Luciferic references, alongside references to the lost city of Atlantis, the Zodiac, etc, that make me feel like this film is meant to convey a certain message to a very specific group of people.
    What else can I say? I fell asleep about an hour in, woke up with about 30 minutes left. Perhaps the best parts of this film were between the 17 minutes that I slept through, but I kindly doubt it.
    Jonny Depp fanatics will love the film. Young adults on drugs will also love it. Your kids? Probably not.
  15. Jul 17, 2011
    Lots of kids' movies use adult humor, but Rango makes the jokes so blatantly and repeatedly that it's painful for a mature mind. And it's not just here and there; every other piece of dialogue contains some kind of embarrassing sexual joke, or poop joke. Rango has it's own brand of humor; too ahead of children to understand, and too immature for adults to laugh at. Some teens may possiblyLots of kids' movies use adult humor, but Rango makes the jokes so blatantly and repeatedly that it's painful for a mature mind. And it's not just here and there; every other piece of dialogue contains some kind of embarrassing sexual joke, or poop joke. Rango has it's own brand of humor; too ahead of children to understand, and too immature for adults to laugh at. Some teens may possibly like it. So yeah, the humor will confuse intelligent moviegoers and the younger generation, but anyone else who doesn't really care will enjoy the amazing visual direction and great character designs. I myself like this movie for the art piece that it is, and it's sad that Rango is chained down by crap writing. Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: The music, tone and themes feel genuinely fresh, and the character of Rango himself is great
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Plot. Or rather lack of - 'Rango' doesn't feel like anything much at all happens. That's a real problem in a film that's supposed to be entertaining and fun
    VERDICT: A very average animation that's quirky without being particularly interesting or exciting

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 7, 2011
    Rango is the poster child for those who are anti-3-D, and a great reminder that genuine creativity doesn't need a gimmicky crutch to appeal to audiences.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 5, 2011
    A certain percentage of the audience will instantly sieze on this as their favorite movie of all time, and a small, but not insignificant demographic will have nightmares. Verbinski and Depp probably like it that way.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    The best of Rango is a lot like the best of the first "Pirates" movie – crazily funny and rambunctious.