Rapture-Palooza

5.3

1. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I laughed a lot at this movie. Start to finish. Seeing Craig Fergeson
    on the front cover seemed like a no brainer for me but after a quick
    internet search I had second thoughts, which turned out to be wrong.
    currently I believe IMDb scores this movie higher than sites like
    criticker and flixster, I am not sure why as I felt it was much better
    than the majority of comedies out there. Craig plays the anti-Christ
    which gives him the opportunity to flood us with crude, inappropriate
    one-liners every time he is on screen. There are also lots of other
    recognizable actors who mostly play what the movie refers to as
    "reapers", pot smoking half zombies with sarcastic humour. Good stuff.
    The two leads are straight enough characters that keep the movie
    grounded yet their reactions to some of the hilarious plagues early on
    in the movie made for some good laughs. Overall I laughed constantly
    and that is the point of a comedy so good job to this underrated gem.
  2. Apr 9, 2015
    An amusing film, if not terribly entertaining. Let's face it; this is a film for a very niche audience -- former evangelicals who have left faith altogether. First of all, you have to have been an end-times obsessed evangelical to understand all of the apocalyptic references. Second, this film would be way too offensive to any current evangelical because of the language, alone.An amusing film, if not terribly entertaining. Let's face it; this is a film for a very niche audience -- former evangelicals who have left faith altogether. First of all, you have to have been an end-times obsessed evangelical to understand all of the apocalyptic references. Second, this film would be way too offensive to any current evangelical because of the language, alone.

Ultimately, you have to keep reminding yourself of the absurdity of it all. Did I really believe all this **** was going to happen when I was an evangelical? Did I really believe that all of the "unsaved" would just go about their daily lives for seven years, waiting for the world to end?

What works best about this film is that it is a satire of Christian apocalyticism that works by playing it straight. If, during your Christian life you watched films like "A Thief in the Night" and "Left Behind," then this is a good film to help you put all of that nonsense into perspective.
  3. Apr 24, 2014
    Pot smoking demons, "fowl-mouth" birds, and Ben of Seattle join together with Ben's girl, Lindsey, in battling the Anti-Christ, Craig Robinson, also known as "Earl". If the movie just stopped there, it would already be a comic hit, but the jokes come dangerously non-stop with the evil Earl at the helm of the Rapture's aftermath. It is true that a few quips are sophomoric and there arePot smoking demons, "fowl-mouth" birds, and Ben of Seattle join together with Ben's girl, Lindsey, in battling the Anti-Christ, Craig Robinson, also known as "Earl". If the movie just stopped there, it would already be a comic hit, but the jokes come dangerously non-stop with the evil Earl at the helm of the Rapture's aftermath. It is true that a few quips are sophomoric and there are lots of 4-letter words, but that works in the context of a plot where wickedness envelopes the planet and those left behind adjust to the new norm with a bizarrely hilarious complacence. Beware of this evil misadventure since you might very well laugh yourself to death! (I nearly did.) While this flick goes well with beer and buddies, it is not recommended for those who are convinced that the earth has corners and has only been around for 6,000 years. Expand
  4. Aug 29, 2013
    If you go into this expecting a serious film then look elsewhere. The film has some of the best comic actors in this generation, Craig Robinson is brilliant as usual and the supporting cast are excellent especially the always funny and underrated Rob Huebel. Anna Kendrick is gorgeous and plays her character very well. It has it's problems and some of the jokes fall flat, especially theIf you go into this expecting a serious film then look elsewhere. The film has some of the best comic actors in this generation, Craig Robinson is brilliant as usual and the supporting cast are excellent especially the always funny and underrated Rob Huebel. Anna Kendrick is gorgeous and plays her character very well. It has it's problems and some of the jokes fall flat, especially the talking crows which got old very fast. If you like films such as The Other Guys & Hot Tub Time Machine then this could be the film for you. It's not as polished or as funny as most Judd Apatow comedies but it is a very easy and fun film, It's also well paced. In conclusion it's a good movie, obviously not for everyone. After seeing the low rating I went in with low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't marketed very well and that probably didn't help matters either. Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2016
    Great comedy, Anna and Craig are super awesome and pull off an amazing movie with a great supporting cast. It is one of those rare movies I would watch multiple times.

1. Reviewed by: Nathan Rabin
    Aug 20, 2013
    The film overflows with inspired comic ideas that fizzle and die in execution like a marathon fireworks display of nothing but duds.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Jun 9, 2013
    More irrelevant than irreverent, the unworthy script from “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure’s” Chris Matheson might play to apocalyptically stoned college kids, but offers nothing in the way of broader social satire, suggesting the waste of a perfectly good Reckoning — not to mention the talents of a cast far funnier than the doom-and-gloom results suggest.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Jun 6, 2013
    Silly enough for you? Did I mention that the immortal Ken Jeong of “The Hangover’’ plays God, who gets mighty pissed when hubby accidentally shoots Jesus out of the sky?