Lionsgate | Release Date: June 7, 2013
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 28 Ratings
WATCH NOW
McCorpseDec 3, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I laughed a lot at this movie. Start to finish. Seeing Craig Fergeson
on the front cover seemed like a no brainer for me but after a quick
internet search I had second thoughts, which turned out to be wrong.
currently I believe IMDb scores this movie higher than sites like
criticker and flixster, I am not sure why as I felt it was much better
than the majority of comedies out there. Craig plays the anti-Christ
which gives him the opportunity to flood us with crude, inappropriate
one-liners every time he is on screen. There are also lots of other
recognizable actors who mostly play what the movie refers to as
"reapers", pot smoking half zombies with sarcastic humour. Good stuff.
The two leads are straight enough characters that keep the movie
grounded yet their reactions to some of the hilarious plagues early on
in the movie made for some good laughs. Overall I laughed constantly
and that is the point of a comedy so good job to this underrated gem.
cajun67Apr 9, 2015
An amusing film, if not terribly entertaining. Let's face it; this is a film for a very niche audience -- former evangelicals who have left faith altogether. First of all, you have to have been an end-times obsessed evangelical to understandAn amusing film, if not terribly entertaining. Let's face it; this is a film for a very niche audience -- former evangelicals who have left faith altogether. First of all, you have to have been an end-times obsessed evangelical to understand all of the apocalyptic references. Second, this film would be way too offensive to any current evangelical because of the language, alone.

Ultimately, you have to keep reminding yourself of the absurdity of it all. Did I really believe all this **** was going to happen when I was an evangelical? Did I really believe that all of the "unsaved" would just go about their daily lives for seven years, waiting for the world to end?

What works best about this film is that it is a satire of Christian apocalyticism that works by playing it straight. If, during your Christian life you watched films like "A Thief in the Night" and "Left Behind," then this is a good film to help you put all of that nonsense into perspective.
BirtApr 24, 2014
Pot smoking demons, "fowl-mouth" birds, and Ben of Seattle join together with Ben's girl, Lindsey, in battling the Anti-Christ, Craig Robinson, also known as "Earl". If the movie just stopped there, it would already be a comic hit, but thePot smoking demons, "fowl-mouth" birds, and Ben of Seattle join together with Ben's girl, Lindsey, in battling the Anti-Christ, Craig Robinson, also known as "Earl". If the movie just stopped there, it would already be a comic hit, but the jokes come dangerously non-stop with the evil Earl at the helm of the Rapture's aftermath. It is true that a few quips are sophomoric and there are lots of 4-letter words, but that works in the context of a plot where wickedness envelopes the planet and those left behind adjust to the new norm with a bizarrely hilarious complacence. Beware of this evil misadventure since you might very well laugh yourself to death! (I nearly did.) While this flick goes well with beer and buddies, it is not recommended for those who are convinced that the earth has corners and has only been around for 6,000 years. Expand
cjdynamiteAug 29, 2013
If you go into this expecting a serious film then look elsewhere. The film has some of the best comic actors in this generation, Craig Robinson is brilliant as usual and the supporting cast are excellent especially the always funny andIf you go into this expecting a serious film then look elsewhere. The film has some of the best comic actors in this generation, Craig Robinson is brilliant as usual and the supporting cast are excellent especially the always funny and underrated Rob Huebel. Anna Kendrick is gorgeous and plays her character very well. It has it's problems and some of the jokes fall flat, especially the talking crows which got old very fast. If you like films such as The Other Guys & Hot Tub Time Machine then this could be the film for you. It's not as polished or as funny as most Judd Apatow comedies but it is a very easy and fun film, It's also well paced. In conclusion it's a good movie, obviously not for everyone. After seeing the low rating I went in with low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't marketed very well and that probably didn't help matters either. Expand
bri_kurtzJun 8, 2016
Great comedy, Anna and Craig are super awesome and pull off an amazing movie with a great supporting cast. It is one of those rare movies I would watch multiple times.