8.5

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Ratatouille has more life, meaning and intelligence then almost every film out there. Pixar has always done a fantastic job of reaching out to children, while drawing adults in and Ratatouille is no exception.
  2. Aug 12, 2011
    This movie is the start of a flawless four film streak by Pixar from 2007's Ratatouille to 2010's Toy Story 3. This one is one the especially strong Pixar efforts in terms of Comedy. There's also a pure artistic appeal to the whole film, wether it's the animation itself, the French sets or the whole animated city of Paris, this movie seems like one of the most delicately executed andThis movie is the start of a flawless four film streak by Pixar from 2007's Ratatouille to 2010's Toy Story 3. This one is one the especially strong Pixar efforts in terms of Comedy. There's also a pure artistic appeal to the whole film, wether it's the animation itself, the French sets or the whole animated city of Paris, this movie seems like one of the most delicately executed and thought out films of 2007 Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    Ratatouille is funny, original, heartfelt, well voice acted and beautifully animated. As Pixar makes more and more movies they make just fantastic films like Ratatouille. I give this film 96%.
  4. Apr 7, 2011
    Let me just say that I hate and have no respect for Patton Oswalt whatsoever for reasons I'd rather not discuss. But watching this movie, I could easily forget he's the voice of Remy, becuase I loved everything about this movie. As always Pixar, great job!
  5. Aug 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Pixar film? Maybe, Best 2007 film? definitely!! Ratatouille is a masterpiece that everyone will love. The characters, the humor, the memorable moments and basically everything in this movie is exellent. A delicious buffet.

Note: Sorry for my english, im from Costa Rica.
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    This movie is really outstanding! The graphics were excellent, the theme is great, the plot is mesmerizing, the characters were amazing. Everything in this film were fantastic. This is a true masterpiece...
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    Simply One Of The Best Movies Of 2007!
    One Word For This Movie: Amazing
  8. Nov 1, 2012
    Another great computer-animated film for Walt Disney! A different, and more unusual plot compared to typical happy-ending movies. The movie also presented and gave viewers a sense of how dynamic the kitchen in a restaurant is. A little unrealistic, but overall a well done.
  9. Jul 10, 2013
    Watching it gets me hungry, and it has its fun moments and great appeal. If you don't like it, thats just shocking then. Because this is the best Pixar film by far
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    Ratatouille is probably my favorite Disney movie of all time. It's both cute and funny. It scores points for having a great villain and an even sweeter hero... But most of all, it has an unforgettably cathartic finish that gets me every time.
  11. Feb 24, 2011
    He visto Ratatouille muchas veces, la califico como el mejor trabajo de Pixar-Disney, y eso que es muy dificil determinar cual de todos los trabajos de Pixar es el mejor, para mi gusto Remy, Et-Al deberian de tener mejor calificacion. Felicidades.
  12. Jan 30, 2014
    One of my favorite animated films, but to say, my favorite. Thanks to "Ratatouille" I became the family chef. From beginning to end the story of Remy is surprising. Definitely a movie with a huge quality. Tomatoes, onions and bread only far from millimeters to be considered real. It is a true copy of Paris and customs. Clearly, a film you must watch before you die.
  13. Jun 28, 2012
    It is a great film full of human emotion with an extremely well told story which is always pixar's strongest point. We deeply care for these characters which is what interests the viewer and makes the film truly memorable. The ending is nothing short of greatness. It brings all the themes and together with parallel scenes and humour.
  14. Dec 11, 2011
    Animated by the breathtaking visuals that you would expect from a Pixar film and inspired by a rich, charming narrative, "Ratatouille" is as delicious as it sounds.
  15. Oct 9, 2011
    Out of all 12 Pixar films, Ratatouille has to be the finest if only because it is one of the most visually stunning movies ever made. While other films try to show off the majestic look of Paris (Midnight in Paris, Taken and Monte Carlo) they never really succeed and its odd that the film that finally pulls it off isn't even live action. If anything Ratatouille is the most grown up of theOut of all 12 Pixar films, Ratatouille has to be the finest if only because it is one of the most visually stunning movies ever made. While other films try to show off the majestic look of Paris (Midnight in Paris, Taken and Monte Carlo) they never really succeed and its odd that the film that finally pulls it off isn't even live action. If anything Ratatouille is the most grown up of the Pixar fold (even Up) with the story being remarkably layered and engrossing. Sure the beginning is a bit slow but the slow build works because when Remy finally crawls out upon the magnificent vista that is Paris the film takes flight. It is a fast paced story of a rat named Remy (Voiced by Patton Oswald) who has always wanted to be a chef despite his obvious limitations He finally gets that chance thanks to an inept yet lovable human named Linguini (Lou Romano). There are some truly stunning parts of Ratatouille but you I won't ruin them because they really are fantastic. Of course it is a film for both child and adult as every other Pixar film but the thing that holds it up above all the others is the fact that the film builds as it goes. Unlike Up which has a brilliant opening sequence but doesn't live up to it, Ratatouille gets better as it goes with one moment near the end with Peter O'Toole's Ego being a brilliant piece of film despite the fact there are absolutely no words spoken. It is a classic film that gave me lots to think about after I watched it and even more after I watched it again. A real masterpiece. Expand
  16. Dec 8, 2011
    I love absolutely everything about this film. It is Pixar's finest standalone film, which is saying something. I love the story, comedy, voice acting, animation and the fact that (sorry) some of the characters actually look like they're from France. Seriously, I cannot fault this film.
  17. Nov 6, 2011
    Ratatouille is clever, witty and beautifully animated. One of Pixar's finest achievements since the first Toy Story back in '95. This movie makes me hungry!!!! 4/4 stars.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of Pixar's best movies yet. Remy the rat wants to become a chef and his dream comes true when he accidentally ends up in Paris and and discovers a 5-star restaurant. Expand
  19. Nov 21, 2011
    Even after seeing this Pixar movie for the BILLIONth time, I'm not sick of it. This is definitely one of Pixar's best works. The cuisine mixed in with the film's plot, and how Pixar used animation to create the most GORGEOUS looking Paris I've seen in a film, animated or not. SEE THIS FILM.
  20. Jul 2, 2013
    As our unexpected hero Remy remarks in the film, "pure poetry" is quite the summing up of this miraculous film from Pixar, one of their best and most unorthodox to date. The film was not necessarily taken with great admiration upon its announcement, due to its content and of course its name. But what the film expertly does is refer to the name, and outline exactly the point its trying toAs our unexpected hero Remy remarks in the film, "pure poetry" is quite the summing up of this miraculous film from Pixar, one of their best and most unorthodox to date. The film was not necessarily taken with great admiration upon its announcement, due to its content and of course its name. But what the film expertly does is refer to the name, and outline exactly the point its trying to make, it isn't suppose to be appealing, and not to judge a book by its cover.
    The character of Remy is a rat, a rat with quite the heightened sense of smell, and with a taste for the finer things in life, namely the elegant cuisine of France, something which he is exceptionally good at creating.
    But when the chef and restaurant he idolises fall on hard times, he happens across the very place and witnesses a new dishwasher accidentally ruining a soup, Remy steps up to fix the problem. The dishwasher, Linguini, sees Remy cooking and the two decide to work a solution for Remy to take, for the fact that the rest of the restaurant staff believe the dishwasher is the expert cook.
    The film is a tale of pursuing what you want to do, and not to let anyone tell you any different. But the realism, while still ridiculous, is given a nice effect, as Remy and his human puppet realise he won't be accepted, therefore their carefully orchestrated means of cooking must be invisible to everyone else.
    The film is perhaps the most insightful and viewer-inspired creation from Pixar, full of messages and situations that a real life individual will face in their ongoing existence, family, love, trial and error and of course...success.
    As expected, the film is a visual delight, from the Paris skyline to the animation of Remy the rat working in the kitchen, each and every character, including the rats, have a distinct and unique look, setting them and their traits aside from the next person. A witty and hilarious script also benefits this excellent film, visual gags are in place across the film and the pacing of our characters is relevant to the story, especially working in a french restaurant.
    Ratatouille will never cease to surprise and exceed, it answers many questions surrounding acceptance and hard work, all true while making the point of enjoying and escaping in its wonderful world, reminding us that we can get by little help from our friends.
  21. Jan 10, 2012
    This movie is a perfect work of art describing something that we humans don't generally like to come across. But I think the world may have forgotten that this has the "Pixar Touch." It's one of those movies that changes your perspective about something. In my case, food. And as Gusteau says, "Never let someone define your limits because of who you are or where you come from."
  22. Apr 30, 2012
    This is one of the best animated movies ever done, in the same spirit of hard work that Disney studios is famous for soon to be, a century. An original story with twists and turns that keeps you interested until the last frame. A must see for every cinephile and animation scholar.
  23. Nov 15, 2013
    "Ratatouille" is a classic Pixar animation and a fantastic accomplishment. The animation is brilliant (as usual), it's well-directed, the script is intelligent and is consistently humorous. Pixar movies are textbook examples on how to make films for both kids and adults.
  24. Jan 3, 2013
    Finally had the time to get around watching this film, and I wished I watched this sooner. It was an enjoyable experience - with loveable characters and brilliant animation.
  25. Nov 10, 2013
    This was fun movie with drama and romance altogether
    be aware that you might get hungry while watching it :))
    I think in the long run it's a re-watchable animation suited for people of different ages
    I'd totally advise you buy it, make tons of delicious food, sit there and watch it
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    One of the most amazing kids movie ever. The animation is amazing. It's such a perfect film and you can watch as many times as you want and it never gets boring. Good for adults and children.
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    Divertido e com uma pitada de emoção isso o que define essa maravilhosa obra de arte de Pixar um dos melhores filmes já feitos nos últimos e porque não nos últimos tempos.
  28. May 7, 2013
    This is certainly up there with some of Pixar's finest work, and its only the second time I've seen it but I enjoyed it much more second time around. Its such a creative concept and whoever thought of a rat cooking was pretty creative :P The characters are very likable and the clever storyline flows well throughout. There is also enough for both adults and kids to enjoy here and there is aThis is certainly up there with some of Pixar's finest work, and its only the second time I've seen it but I enjoyed it much more second time around. Its such a creative concept and whoever thought of a rat cooking was pretty creative :P The characters are very likable and the clever storyline flows well throughout. There is also enough for both adults and kids to enjoy here and there is a nice medium for the both. Overall a very enjoyable film I would certainly recommend Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    This film is a cinematographic masterpiece, comprising all the key elements of feel-good fun. Inspirational and delightful in its transmitting of the key messages which are cleverly interwoven into a thoroughly entertaining plot, the lovable characters simply slot perfectly into place, telling the unusual though very original story in true Disney style.
  30. Jul 22, 2013
    "Ratatouille" is clever, imaginative, gorgeous, breathtaking, and proves Pixar's integrity. The film itself is of course wonderfully animated and characters are new and inventive. Remy, the protagonist, is a dreamer, who is extremely likable and is wonderful to see his growth. Side characters have a definite lasting impressions, as the love story of Collete and Linguini is a bit cliche,"Ratatouille" is clever, imaginative, gorgeous, breathtaking, and proves Pixar's integrity. The film itself is of course wonderfully animated and characters are new and inventive. Remy, the protagonist, is a dreamer, who is extremely likable and is wonderful to see his growth. Side characters have a definite lasting impressions, as the love story of Collete and Linguini is a bit cliche, but is still a wonderful side plot to enjoy. The film may seem a bit quirky, but the quirkiness braced is spectacular and original. With a wonderful message that tells us that "great artists can come from anywhere", "Ratatouille" leaves a long and wonderful lasting impression that ranks to the Pixar standard of ingenuity. Expand
  31. Jul 6, 2014
    It has charm yet isn't mawkish so I have to roll me eyes or cover my ears for any stupid or ridiculous scenes. Insightful, with a lot of heart, it's a Pixar film for the whole family and even some adults. What can I say? It has a lot of pizzazz!
  32. Sep 19, 2013
    Even though it's rated G, this film has such an adult way of playing out and is very sophisticated. It is a melting pot of a movie. You get a little bit of French cooking, the secret ways of how a restaurant operates, you get a feel for 1930's Paris, and most importantly you feel the clique between Linguine and Collette. All of these elements come together in one helluva movie.
  33. Jun 29, 2014
    Charming, gorgeously animated, fantastically voiced and another appealing Pixar movie that goes to my collection of "My Favorite Animation Movies". Recommendable for all ages.
  34. Sep 28, 2014
    A great Pixar animation that I have watched countless times before, the story of a rat helping a French man fulfil his dream of becoming a chef, a fantastic film for all the family, and has tons of re-watch-ability too!
  35. Oct 19, 2014
    Nobody in Hollywood today could make a story about a rat so fun and entertaining, other than the guy who made The Incredibles, Brad Bird. Great film worthy of all the awards it got.
  36. Oct 13, 2014
    Definitely one of those films that you’d have to eat before watching it. Besides that the film delivers well and the story is solid, Pixar really got the look and the movement of the rats right as well as the cooking shown in the film. Although there is a downfall that the character of Linguini is kind of a doofus and not really that memorable. In conclusion the movie is great and I wouldDefinitely one of those films that you’d have to eat before watching it. Besides that the film delivers well and the story is solid, Pixar really got the look and the movement of the rats right as well as the cooking shown in the film. Although there is a downfall that the character of Linguini is kind of a doofus and not really that memorable. In conclusion the movie is great and I would put it somewhere in the middle, it’s not my least favourite but it leans up against my favourite Pixar films. Expand
  37. Oct 19, 2014
    Welcome to a entirely new and original world where the unthinkable combination of a rat and a 5-star gourmet restaurant come together for the ultimate fish-out-of-water tale.
  38. Mar 17, 2015
    If I had to choose my favorite Pixar filmmaker that isn't John Lasseter, it's definitely going to have to be Brad Bird. He has shown such enthusiasm for the motion pictures, I find it hard not to like him.

'Ratatouille' is the second Disney-Pixar project directed by him, and to be honest, I had my doubts, for reasons obviously. First of all, this movie is released after Pixar's first

First of all, this movie is released after Pixar's first mediocre (but not terrible) effort 'Cars' (2006), the one Disney-Pixar film nobody raved about, and it fared well with critics and audiences, but it isn't universally loved like 'Toy Story' (1995) or 'Finding Nemo' (2003). Plus, Brad Bird's earlier effort was 'The Incredibles' (2004) which EVERYBODY (including myself) loved and to go from superheroes, to making a movie about a rat who cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food seems like a downgrade.

Yes, you heard right, the premise for this movie is a rat that cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food. If you pitched this idea to anyone else, including live-action filmmakers, they would laugh in your face. Ratatouille is an example and a demonstration of how there is no limit to the imagination when it comes to the art form of animation. You could come up with something outrageous or obnoxious, and animation will always be there to make it possible.

Patton Oswalt voices a rat named Remy, who, with his family, is always looking out for food, you know, like most rats. He discovers one day that food can taste amazing when you combine two different flavors that complement each other.

He is in France and learns that his favorite chef Gusteau (voiced by Brad Garrett) has passed away and the legacy of his restaurant is owned by an evil chef who cannot be trusted. Remy runs into a young, new employee at the restaurant named Linguini (Lou Romano) and they sort of come to an agreement that Linguini can prove himself to work at the restaurant as long as Remy does the cooking, underneath his hat.

When Remy starts treating Linguini like some ventriloquist by tugging on his hair, this leads to some funny sequences where he often trips and moves with such flexibility thanks to the art form of animation.

Peter O'Toole voices the fearsome food critic Anton Ego, who can get Gusteau's restaurant shut down if he criticizes the next dish and gives it a bad name.

Obviously Remy's family of dirty rats isn't happy with what he's doing so far, his father is unsure and uncomfortable about him working with humans due to the fact that we can kill rats since they're small creatures we can easily stamp on. Remy's brother Emile (Peter Sohn) is a very funny comic relief for the movie the same way Dory was for 'Finding Nemo' (2003).

'Ratatouille' is easily one of the best films of 2007, and that's saying something. It's funny because this movie left me craving for a sequel, which I will accept will probably never get made, but if it does, I'm hopping into the front seat.

For a movie that's about a rat who cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food, I did find it to be more intelligent than...say 'Transformers'? But that's just me.

Brad Bird really is a gift at Disney-Pixar.
  39. Mar 22, 2015
    10/10 ................................................................................................................................................
  40. Apr 25, 2015
    Delicious and entertaining, Pixar writer Brad Bird reaches the height of his La Vie en Rose career, with a beautiful masterpiece of the self-discovery of the unexpected talent within non-humans especially in the hands of a lone rat, whose only hope for survival is becoming a chef in one of Paris' most critically acclaimed restaurants, despite the odds and intolerance.

Its a sweet film

Its a sweet film thats like champagne bottles flowing simultaneously into the atmosphere and the smell of grapes in the air.
  41. Apr 11, 2015
    a very good movie from Pixar. the story is great the charters are good the animation is good it just a really good movie to watch this movie..........
  42. Apr 24, 2015
    Describe the plot of Ratatouille to most and they’ll likely turn up their nose as if assaulted by a bad smell. It’s about a rat who yearns to be a chef. That’s not cute, that’s not flip and postmodern. Couldn’t we make it a giraffe who wants to play golf, or a hippo who dreams of being a stunt-hippo, or a gerbil who aspires to play lead guitar in a heavy-metal band (please note,Describe the plot of Ratatouille to most and they’ll likely turn up their nose as if assaulted by a bad smell. It’s about a rat who yearns to be a chef. That’s not cute, that’s not flip and postmodern. Couldn’t we make it a giraffe who wants to play golf, or a hippo who dreams of being a stunt-hippo, or a gerbil who aspires to play lead guitar in a heavy-metal band (please note, second-tier animation studios - these concepts are copyright Empire)? What’s cool about a rat in a kitchen? Isn’t it, like, kinda gross?

Au contraire, mes amis. After five minutes of Ratatouille you start getting excited about the time when you can buy it on DVD to use as life therapy, like a soothing bath or a dose of Librium. It may be Pixar’s masterpiece, but why quibble over niceties when they keep delivering stories this rich?

Even amongst the Hawaiian-shirted big brains of the Pixar think-tank, Brad Bird is taking on an auteurish hue for the fabulousness of his creations.

It’s farce and poetry both, able to make thrilling gearshifts from poignant characterisation into madcap as the film spills onto the streets to create chase sequences worthy of Chuck Jones or Fred Quimby. Visually, nothing is beyond these guys. From the fineness of Remy’s fur to the rain-slicked cobbles of the City Of Lights, they somehow grant synthesised surfaces the textures of life. Yet, the animation is at once extraordinary and hardly the point. So deft is the hand of Pixar that you are allowed to take their raptures of detail for granted - the incidental art is slave to the story. Pixar are not really animators at all, but storytellers par excellence whose carving knife happens to be a computer mouse.

By the third act, the standard recipe would be for Linguini to be de-toqued, the diminutive hero exposed and the villainous Skinner to be felled. That, though, is just one of the plot strands Bird has woven. Amid the flurry of impeccably timed disaster, Anton Ego will emerge from his coffin-shaped parlour to test this unforeseen turn-around at Gusteau’s and prove a salutary lesson for any critic as to their own worth. “Surprise me,” he sneers to the waiter, with the kind of disdain normally associated with Lady Bracknell or Daily Mail readers. So fully have you sunk into this animated world, so blurred are its joins with real life, that the resulting dish (designed with the help of hip chef Thomas Keller) lifts the film to rank alongside Babette’s Feast, Big Night or Ang Lee’s Taiwanese trilogy as literally mouth-watering. Although it rather takes the Happy Meal
    tie-in off the agenda.

It is impossible not to read Remy as a straight metaphor for Bird or Pixar as a whole. They are unable to let the soup sour when the perfect mix of flavours can be reached. But the message may be more democratic - not everyone can be a great artist, but true art can come from anywhere. Bird is an artist who looks deep into humans (even in rat form) and sees something magic. His films feel like gifts.

That feeling you have as you leave the cinema - that buzzing in the fingers and lightness in the heart - is called joy.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The subtle colors and textures of the food alone make Ratatouille a three-star Michelin evening.
    In Ratatouille, the level of moment-by-moment craftsmanship is a wonder.
    This is clearly one of the best of the year's films. Every time an animated film is successful, you have to read all over again about how animation isn't "just for children" but "for the whole family," and "even for adults going on their own." No kidding!